8.5

1. Jan 26, 2013
    This movie was awsome, i really liked it and i belive he is a true master. The cast was amazing and all of them created a movie that i was waiting to see for 6 months, definite must see
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    This film is hilarious with over the top action scenes which Quentin pulls off very well of course like in his previous films. Yes, there is racism and controversial material but so what? It's something different which is what I like! anyway, Django Unchained really steers away from clichés. It's definitely a film I'd want to watch again.
  3. Jan 10, 2013
    Well, I was ready for nothing less than a masterpiece, got it in spades... I am amazed at the quackery in the world of critiquing movies professionally. Anyone that has any idea as to what they were in for when they decided to go see this movie, would leave a very happy movie goer. This is classic QT, and as predictable as it may be for some, I sure as hell did not see certain plot twistsWell, I was ready for nothing less than a masterpiece, got it in spades... I am amazed at the quackery in the world of critiquing movies professionally. Anyone that has any idea as to what they were in for when they decided to go see this movie, would leave a very happy movie goer. This is classic QT, and as predictable as it may be for some, I sure as hell did not see certain plot twists coming, and I am damn good at reading plot. Anyhow. This deserves all 10's, it will delight you if you are indeed an individual that can understand and appreciate what it is and why it is so important as a work of art. Otherwise, go back to your Bridesmaids and Twilight flicks. What a joy of a horror it was. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    "Quentin Tarantino has once again proved why he is one of the greatest and most authentic directors making films today, filled with gut-busting violence, Oscar worthy performances and some much comic relief. Django is one of 2012's best movies, by far." A+
  5. Dec 28, 2012
    With any filmmaker, there are ups and down. This one is definitely up! Christop Waltz (in another winning performance) plays a dentist-turned-bounty-hunter who strikes a deal with a slave (Jamie Foxx in the title role): help him find his bounty and he'll free Django and help him find his wife. They outsmart all the villains until they finally land at the plantation run by LeonardoWith any filmmaker, there are ups and down. This one is definitely up! Christop Waltz (in another winning performance) plays a dentist-turned-bounty-hunter who strikes a deal with a slave (Jamie Foxx in the title role): help him find his bounty and he'll free Django and help him find his wife. They outsmart all the villains until they finally land at the plantation run by Leonardo DiCaprio. Despite the cruel depiction of slavery, this is Tarantino's funniest film yet (the head bag scene is a classic). The violence leans toward comic book broadness with more blood splatter than guts or cuts Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie is not for everyone. My parents hated it because they were expecting a straight-up western they were wrong. If you don't know who Quentin Tarrantino is then this movie is probably going to annoy you. I'm a HUGE Tarrantino fan so I got exactly what I was expecting... The best movie I've watched all year, and the opening was absolutely fantastic. If you like Pulp Fiction, KillThis movie is not for everyone. My parents hated it because they were expecting a straight-up western they were wrong. If you don't know who Quentin Tarrantino is then this movie is probably going to annoy you. I'm a HUGE Tarrantino fan so I got exactly what I was expecting... The best movie I've watched all year, and the opening was absolutely fantastic. If you like Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, or From Dusk till Dawn and you liked the "STYLE" those films had then do yourself a favor and check this awesome movie out now!!! Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    Man, what a movie, WHAT AN AMAZING MOVIE !!! It was like a roller coater ride. I was pumped the entire time. I could feel the adrenaline. Everybody delivered a great performance, especially Jamie Foxx. I hope, for once, the academy will considered a good movie like this.
  8. Dec 30, 2012
    The best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. All the actors are perfectly cast. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Decaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, and Kerry Washington are all outstanding. I've already seen it twice and I can't wait to see it again when it comes out on blu-ray.
  9. Jan 2, 2013
    Takes all of Tarentino films and make one great movie...........................................................................................................................................................
  10. Dec 25, 2012
    Excellent film. I love all of Quentin's movies but they keep getting smarter and more entertaining. While I'm scared to use the word "realistic" when talking about this movie, it definitely feels more real than some of his past titles (Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds). The characters are, as always, extremely entertaining. Quentin always brings the best out of his actors, and maybe that'sExcellent film. I love all of Quentin's movies but they keep getting smarter and more entertaining. While I'm scared to use the word "realistic" when talking about this movie, it definitely feels more real than some of his past titles (Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds). The characters are, as always, extremely entertaining. Quentin always brings the best out of his actors, and maybe that's because he just writes such great characters for them. The theme for the film is vengeance, which is the usual for Tarantino. He follows the Tarantino style as you can expect, but he doesn't fail to throw in a few surprises. He also isn't afraid to stay true to the times with the word **** being thrown into every other line of dialogue. I'm glad he didn't shy away from this because, as someone familiar with history, it wouldn't have felt right. The dialogue is fantastic, the pacing is terrific, the action is spectacular, and overall it's a very entertaining movie. I can tell already that a few racist or ignorant people are leaving bad reviews because the film pokes fun at them, so be weary about bringing anyone like that to see the movie with you. Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    This movie handles SO MANY genres at once or in sequence so perfectly that it creates it's own genre. That Genre is Tarantino. It's badass, funny, horrifying and absolutely bloody. If you love Tarantino's work, then this is definitely one of his best, if not THE best movie he's ever produced. Just see this epic movie. It's a goddamn masterpiece.
  12. Apr 28, 2013
    Excellent film. The performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson were all fantastic and Jamie Foxx did very well also. The dialogue is captivating and it's great seeing DiCaprio as a villain for a change, as well as seeing Waltz as a hero.
  13. Feb 15, 2013
    An exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knowsAn exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knows exactly how to make his audience feel in every single scene in this film, especially by the help of the amazing score, nonetheless, "Django" is a hilarious film, not only by the help of the brilliant script, but by the help of one of its leading characters bounty hunter Dr King Schultz that is played by one of tarantino's best discoveries, Christopher Waltz, like Tarantino himself, he knows how to express his emotions and story telling in this film. Scene after a scene is a whole other divine cinematic experience although some of them are way too long and should have been cut off. Yes, racism is painful but it's only as painful as this film's punch in the face for our society today. Tarantino's message has certainly spread to my mind, and I am quite positive it will do the same to yours (well not everyone, after all, it's Tarantino). Expand
  14. Dec 25, 2012
    Django is another movie beautifully directed by Quentin Tarantino. It is astonishing that QT is able to take a subject as sinister as the treatment of many African American slaves during the nineteenth century and turn it into a film not only honorable of the subject matter, but as great of a story as Django is. In the midst of much of the underlying torment in the context of the film,Django is another movie beautifully directed by Quentin Tarantino. It is astonishing that QT is able to take a subject as sinister as the treatment of many African American slaves during the nineteenth century and turn it into a film not only honorable of the subject matter, but as great of a story as Django is. In the midst of much of the underlying torment in the context of the film, Tarantino is once again still able to deliver a movie that is both riveting and hilarious. The genius of this film is only further cemented by its exemplary cast. Leonardo DiCaprio plays an outstanding role as one of the wealthiest and cruel plantation owners in the South--so believable at times, it is scary. Jamie Fox also plays his role terrifically, giving the film the hero it deserves. Even the role played by Samuel L. Jackson is utilized very well. However, the role played by Christoph Waltz as Dr. King Schultz is simply sublime, and is a shining example of why he is becoming one of my favorite, if not my favorite, actors to date. Django is sure to become another Tarantino classic. Collapse
  15. Dec 25, 2012
    Another triumph and masterpiece from QT. His use of a linear structure made it one of his most satisfying accomplishments if not one of his most emotional. The love story completely worked for me as well as the typical QT trademarks and explosive violence. A true American classic.
  16. Dec 31, 2012
    The best Tarantino movie in my opinion, Django is a thrill ride full of laughs, tension and action that enthralls for all of it's nearly 3 hours. I hate needless violence and swearing in movies, but the gore and cussing never feel unnecessary due to the context, and in fact add to the immersion. A must-see.
  17. Jan 10, 2013
    Excellent film. My favorite Tarantino movie to date. Like many Tarantino films, this movie makes you think, but it's a comedy. Django Unchained invokes a wide variety of emotions. One moment, you will be sickened. Then you'll get angry. And in the middle of those things, and before and after it all, you'll laugh. Sometimes you'll wonder if you were supposed to laugh, but you'llExcellent film. My favorite Tarantino movie to date. Like many Tarantino films, this movie makes you think, but it's a comedy. Django Unchained invokes a wide variety of emotions. One moment, you will be sickened. Then you'll get angry. And in the middle of those things, and before and after it all, you'll laugh. Sometimes you'll wonder if you were supposed to laugh, but you'll laugh anyway. And in the center of it all are interesting, genuine characters. Christoph Waltz plays Dr. Shultz, a German bounty hunter who is incredibly educated. Leonardo DiCaprio plays a Southern plantation owner, Calvin Candie, who is just plain sickening. Samuel L. Jackson plays DiCaprio's slave whose family has served the Candies for generations. And finally, there's Django, played by Jamie Foxx, a former slave who wishes to save his wife and exact vengeance on those who would keep slaves. These characters are some of my favorite movie characters of all time. The movie is worth watching just for them. Expand
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present,I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present, along with a great deal of comical moments. The story and direction as well as the characters all deserve praise of the highest order. Even if you're not a Tarantino fan, you should definitely give Django a try. Expand
  19. Dec 25, 2012
    Classic Tarantino movie. Awesome action scenes, great characters, interesting story, hard to find something bad about it. Interesting spin on slavery. Great movie.
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    A incredibly bloody and brilliant masterpiece by the ever brilliant Quentin Tarantino is smart, hilarious and shocking in equal measure. The film has been made with complete care and it shows with beautiful cinematography, fantastic acting and great directing. One of the best films to be released in 2012.
  21. Apr 17, 2013
    Best film of 2012. Best acting of 2012. It is a shockingly exciting
  22. Feb 25, 2013
    Almost 3 hours and at no stage did it feel drawn out or too long. This trumps Inglorious Basterds and suits as Tarintino's best film. A funny, witty, slick, violent homage to spaghetti westerns set with the dark backdrop of the racist wild west.
  23. May 27, 2013
    "The 'D' is silent" as our gunslinging hero continues to remind his victims, Django is on the path of vengeance with the most unorthodox of associates, with bloody, violent but fantastic storytelling from to start to finish, edgy, and brilliant also fit seamlessly into a description of this wonderful film.
    Set in the midst of slavery in the Old West and the Deep South of the United
    Set in the midst of slavery in the Old West and the Deep South of the United States, Django (Jamie Foxx) and a group of slaves are being hoarded across the plain by two brothers, when dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) interrupts proceedings, he frees Django in the hope that he will lead him to another set of brothers who Django and his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) were recently owned by.
    Christoph Waltz brings an energetic and humorous energy to the role that is simply unmatched. Django is cold and collected in the hope of finding his wife, who he finds out is a slave of the talkative and ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). As Django and Schultz set off across the frontier and wade out the winter, Schultz trains Django to become a bounty hunter, he sees it as his duty to free this slave and therefore look after him.
    In typical Quentin Tarantino fashion, Django Unchained is more about pushing the boundaries of cinematic taboo than the simple story that is told. The use of the 'N' word has been the point of deliberation since the films release, but either way, a perfect Spaghetti Western has been moulded with Tarantino at the helm, is use of long dialogue and extended scenes of conversation continue to amaze, especially when the talented Christoph Waltz is involved, lest we forget his fantastic turn as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds,but he truly raises the bar in Django for nobody but himself, is attitude and personality are unmatched, save for possibly Leonardo DiCaprio, who we rarely, if ever, see as the villain, but who shows exactly what he is capable of with the sadistic but charming Candie.
    Jamie Foxx has been perfectly cast as them main man Django, he shows heart but willingness to find his wife by any means possible, and his rise to heroism throughout the film is a perfect test of character that he does brilliantly.
    Tarantino again picks a perfect setting and now has a western hit under his belt, whether its the music, the deep southern accents or the wonderful camera work of gore and glory, he has again created a very deservedly named masterpiece.
  24. Jan 2, 2013
    I may be biased since i adored every movie Tarantino puts out (except for Jackie brown, it was just too long for its own good) but seriously, its a fantastic movie. It has a faster pace than most of his movies, and when I say that, there's really only one scene that has a normal amount of Tarantino dialogue. (Tarantino likes to have VERY long scenes of just dialogue, but builds a lot ofI may be biased since i adored every movie Tarantino puts out (except for Jackie brown, it was just too long for its own good) but seriously, its a fantastic movie. It has a faster pace than most of his movies, and when I say that, there's really only one scene that has a normal amount of Tarantino dialogue. (Tarantino likes to have VERY long scenes of just dialogue, but builds a lot of personality) There was some great laughs in the movie. The real kicker was that, yes Jamie Fox was the star, but he is certainly not the one to be watching. Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz stole the show and played their characters perfectly. Overall, if you like Tarantino, you should defiantly see this movie, if you don't or haven't seen or heard of Tarantino, its still worth seeing, even if its only once. Expand
  25. Jan 13, 2013
    Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. Violent. Sentimental. Enthralling. The actors enliven the script under Tarantino's direction, and create a modern (south) Western spectacle that Tarantino fans will savor.
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is brilliant, from the direction of the obviously talented Quentin Tarantino to the acting of such figures of Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Don Johnson, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and, particularly, Christoph Woltz There's a reason this film has won not one but TWO Awards, and it was by far my favorite film of 2012, as well as being one of my favorite films ever. I would change nothing about this film (apart form making it longer), and the only think I pity is that Tarantino killed off all but two major characters, because a sequel or continuation of some kind would have been brilliant. Expand
  27. Jan 13, 2013
    Tarantino follows his formula and doesn't dissapoint. Django Unchained is a masterfully crafted film and is as entertaining and smart as anything he's ever done. Christoph Waltz deserves another Academy Award for an amazing performance.
  28. Mar 16, 2015
    This is the best movie I've ever watched in cinema, it is worth every penny that I spent. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack, acting, storyline and acting (basically every part of the movie). I remembered how mind blown I was right from the beginning, until the end of this movie. It was almost too good to be true; and I had the privilege to watch it in the cinema. Personally, I feltThis is the best movie I've ever watched in cinema, it is worth every penny that I spent. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack, acting, storyline and acting (basically every part of the movie). I remembered how mind blown I was right from the beginning, until the end of this movie. It was almost too good to be true; and I had the privilege to watch it in the cinema. Personally, I felt that Leonardo Di Caprio were absolutely brilliant in this movie, I was really hoping he could win an award... loved this! Again, Quentin Tarantino did it! Pure genius Expand
  29. Jan 30, 2013
    Another great Tarantino movie. Christoph Waltz is as amazing as "Basterds" and even Jamie Foxx is likeable. The storyline is creative, brutal, and effective. Full of shocks and hilarious gratuitous violence, Django is a film to be seen.
  30. Jan 6, 2013
    Fan-f*cking-tastic! Dynamite dialogue, sensational storytelling, and ravishing revenge. My OCD brain could not find a single fault with this movie. Absolutely loved it. Top 10 best movies I've ever seen.
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but thenThis is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but then also a load of fast paced scenes, humour and action. I liked this one especially because I found it quite provocative about the slave trade, what of his past films have done this? IB with nazi's? Not really. This is going to be one of my favourite films for years to come I can tell! :D Expand
  32. Jan 21, 2013
    At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films,At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films, the humor is so smart and critical and most importantly so entertaining (The KKK scene is hilarious). The violent scenes are very flamboyant and stylized (as in any other Tarantino film) and so much fun. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz deliver fantastic performances, as you would expect, but even the actors who you wouldn't expect to be great, are, like Don Johnson as Big Daddy. The dialogues are amazing, they´re fast, smart and funny. Django Unchained is definitely a must-see! Expand
  33. Jan 12, 2013
    Certainly an amazing accomplishment of a film. Django Unchained is best described as fun. It had excellent acting and was at all times enjoyable. While it does force you to confront thoughts you rarely acknowledge, it is hilarious much of the way through. The plot was extremely predictable in a very good way. You can see what's coming a mile away and you want it to arrive. AnyoneCertainly an amazing accomplishment of a film. Django Unchained is best described as fun. It had excellent acting and was at all times enjoyable. While it does force you to confront thoughts you rarely acknowledge, it is hilarious much of the way through. The plot was extremely predictable in a very good way. You can see what's coming a mile away and you want it to arrive. Anyone criticizing the predictability as a bad thing is likely doing so simply to criticize. I would recommend this movie to anyone not disturbed by extreme violence and cruel behavior. Expand
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    Tarantino like Tarantino. Good plot, best game of actors, BEST THEME - western. And goddam, it's best soundtrack of all film industry about ten years.
  35. Dec 25, 2012
    One of Quentin Tarantino's greatest movies and in my opinion his best film with the exception of Pulp Fiction. Jaime Foxx does a terrific job in the lead role, however it is the two supporting actors, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio, who truly steal the show. Di Caprio's riveting portrayal of the sinister plantation owner Mr. Candie is perhaps his best acting job so far. If you areOne of Quentin Tarantino's greatest movies and in my opinion his best film with the exception of Pulp Fiction. Jaime Foxx does a terrific job in the lead role, however it is the two supporting actors, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio, who truly steal the show. Di Caprio's riveting portrayal of the sinister plantation owner Mr. Candie is perhaps his best acting job so far. If you are a Tarantino fan this is a must see, it is one of the great movies of the 2000's and through Tarantino's signature directing and witty writing will become a classic in no time. Expand
  36. Jan 20, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and boy, I get excited when I hear he is going to make another film. That's because, at the beginning, his work seems tangled but once he finishes and polishes it, it becomes a masterpiece. This happened to almost all of his films. Django Unchained is a movie worth waiting for and absolutely worth watching. The best things about his film are (in order):I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and boy, I get excited when I hear he is going to make another film. That's because, at the beginning, his work seems tangled but once he finishes and polishes it, it becomes a masterpiece. This happened to almost all of his films. Django Unchained is a movie worth waiting for and absolutely worth watching. The best things about his film are (in order): the screenplay; the incredible performances by the stellar cast; the direction; and finally the song choice (we all know that Tarantino doesn't believe in making complete background scores for his films, instead he uses different songs and even collaborates with different artists to make original songs). Let's talk about the screenplay. It is a love story, it's drama, it's thought-provoking, it has the elements of violence. All in all, it is a masterpiece, I think even Tarantino doesn't know what a terrific screenplay he has actually written and that's why he gets shocked when he hears that he is announced as the winner of the original screenplay awards. I'm not going to spoil the film for you by discussing what the screenplay is, you're gonna have to watch it to find out how genuine it is, even if it borrows some elements from real events such as the rise of slavery in the United States in the 19th century, it also includes some fiction to spice up the things and make them more interesting and lovable. The performances are truly impressive especially those of Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCpario, Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson's. Tarantino always writes his characters in the best way possible and makes their execution even better by giving them such crazy dialogues. I find Waltz's performance the best in the film and I would be happy if he wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor considering the fact that there are other nominees, all of whom have won the Oscars already. Moving on to the direction of the film, it's incredible, its pace is perfect, the camera work is amazing, I like those sudden shots at the characters' faces. The direction gives the story-telling more power and contributes to make it a masterpiece. Most of the critics have been bashing this movie because of the words that have been used in the film. I don't think they should ignore the best things about this film over such silly topic. Everyone knows it is used to give it a realistic view and make the viewer believe in what he's watching because the viewer knows how things were supposed to be in that era. Anyway, the critics are critics, and I don't care what they say. This film is an absolute masterpiece of Tarantino and it might even end up in my list of top ten films of 2012. Expand
  37. Oct 7, 2013
    One of the best movies I have ever seen, I have seen this movie so many times and still can't get enough, do yourself a favor and watch Django Unchained,
  38. Jan 19, 2013
    Django Unchained was an excellent movie. It perfectly mixed humor and violence. There are several points in which any Tarantino fan then you will be easily satisfied. Tarantino also satisfies any cravings for a Spaghetti Western as there are all kinds of blood drenched shoot outs. I would highly recommend this film to anyone!
  39. Dec 25, 2012
    Quentin Tarantino has given us the best Christmas present, another one of his "Epic" cinematic accomplishments. Not only one of the best but my favorite movie of the year. Underneath the bloody, revenge, slavery theme of Django Unchained is also a love story. Django's only priority in this story is rescuing his beloved wife from the "evil" hands of Calvin Candie (Dicaprio) and his loyalQuentin Tarantino has given us the best Christmas present, another one of his "Epic" cinematic accomplishments. Not only one of the best but my favorite movie of the year. Underneath the bloody, revenge, slavery theme of Django Unchained is also a love story. Django's only priority in this story is rescuing his beloved wife from the "evil" hands of Calvin Candie (Dicaprio) and his loyal black land owner Stephen (Sam L. Jackson). The Western genre is one of my, if not the most, favorite genre of all movie genres. Spaghetti westerns are even superior, in my opinion. So I knew all the little homages Tarantino placed in this film. Including the original Django, Frank Nero, in the same scene with Jaime Fox's Django. These small features of the film just added more fun to my experience not to mention how well the comedy blended while in this portrayal of a dark horrific time in America. The songs used in this movie, MY GOD! Every song fitted so well into the scene it was introduced. The soundtrack is just another reason why Quentin is so unique when it come to film making. From Ennio Morricone to Rick Ross to Jim Croce everything was blended spectacularly to its southern setting.
    To say the acting is great is a bit of an understatement. Jamie Foxx plays such a fantastic lead as his character develops from a shy slave to the fastest, ballsy, gunslinger in the south. Christoph Waltz, like in Inglourious Basterds, steals every scene he's in with his witty charm and his lovable character's way of escaping out of a tight spot very unexpected. Leonardo Dicaprio gives another great performances and probably one of his best. A very flamboyant evil character at that. Now Samuel L. Jackson just blows it out of the park by a long shot. He gives such an astonishing performance as great as on the level of Jules in Pulp Fiction. He steals the scenes from the scenes Christoph Waltz is in. He was by far the most evil and outrageously funny character in the entire movie. He deserves an Oscar nomination for this role. Kerry Washington is great but is not the usual strong female performance you usually get in a Tarantino film. Probably because of the plot and its setting in history. All the secondary characters were flawless as well, including Jonah Hill's comedic small role. I adored everything from the stylized beginning to the showdown in the end. Even the small little details to the actors Quentin uses in his movies like Charles Parks or himself. I honestly found more humor than any comedy I've seen this year. The heavy use of gore and buckets of blood is exactly my taste in movies. Does it drag on? Of course, in the second act it tends to drag on a bit which is probably the set up of Dicaprio's character development. As a fan I wouldn't mind it being five hours long but as a reviewer perspective it could have been trimmed just a tad bid. The death scenes were a spectacle to experience. I was in awe from every death scene. I have to give this masterpiece a 10/10
  40. May 25, 2013
    •This movie will be one of those that will still be blowing new comers minds LONG after a lot of the current CGI laced popular films of today have lost their modern edge.
    •A completely unquestionable cinematic masterpiece.
    •One of the best Tarantino pieces IMO.
    • One of the best western/cowboy movies ever IMO.
  41. Feb 3, 2013
    Great Movie! People saying that the use of the N word was over used, "Ummm, how would you know!" Hell as much as I hear it just on XBOX Live Alone, when whites get pissed when getting beat in say COD, I really doubt it was not used as much in a daily business when it was just how the people talked. Having been in Georgia in the 60's I can tell you, it was used a lot then.

For the

For the people saying that slavery did not exist in Western USA, do some research, I will even point you in the right direction with this link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#History_of_slavery_in_individual_states and to start with say California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery_in_California ...

Why do so many people hate the truth. Wanna deny how wicked some are or have been, it is what it was and is!

But I also want to give thanks to Blacks, and Whites, or all races, or should I just say "People" that have and continue to help make things known, for to know will make "those" that are wise enough to not be fooled again. Also thanks to these "People" again, for not being bigots or racist!

PEACE to the Humane Mankind.
  42. Jan 31, 2013
    You either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" willYou either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" will become, perhaps, not only one of your favorite Tarantino films, but one of your favorite films, period.

"Django" is Quentin Tarantino in true form, at his best, and while it's a very long film, you will never once feel bored. Hilarious, enlightening, shocking, frightening, saddening, ambitious and greatly, greatly enjoyable, "Django" is hands-down one of the best films I've ever seen.
  43. Jan 12, 2013
    Best Tarantino movie till Pulp Fiction, and great script, also excellent casting for this ocassion, altough I expected to see Kevin Costner, Dicaprio did a really great job and of course Cristoph Waltz play looked so real, but best actor of the movie was Samuel L Jackson. Won't spoil anymore! See it by yourself.
  44. Jan 18, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino must like hearing his name associated with the words, "does it again!" because that's exactly what myself and many others say after seeing one of his films. This movie was a long drawn out drivel that some reviews might have you believe, this was a movie with a good soundtrack and amazing writing and fantastic acting. Pure emotion felt when the horrors of slavery wasQuentin Tarantino must like hearing his name associated with the words, "does it again!" because that's exactly what myself and many others say after seeing one of his films. This movie was a long drawn out drivel that some reviews might have you believe, this was a movie with a good soundtrack and amazing writing and fantastic acting. Pure emotion felt when the horrors of slavery was being exploited within the film. Christoph Waltz did a fantastic job in playing a German bounty hunter. Let me just say.... Leonardo DiCaprio should have gotten a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in the Academy Awards. I mean, WOW did he do an amazing job. I've seen many DiCaprio films and out of all performances given.... THIS one would have to be my favorite. Props to whoever chose the locations for the films it REALLY made me feel like this was actually happening. After the Nazi revenge fantasy, Inglorious Basterds, I was really interested how Quentin Tarantino would take on the horrors that was slavery. I can't praise this film enough without breaking the 5000 character limit. If you were a fan of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, you should see this film. Expand
  45. Feb 17, 2013
    Tarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they willTarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they will rescue is wife.so i am very reccomending django unchained Expand
  46. Mar 8, 2013
    Django Unchained the best film from visionary director Quentin Tarantino .What a cool movie. A homage to the old spaghetti-western and again a movie about vengeance. Incredible acting from all actors.The soundtrack is amazing. All in all a perfect movie.
  47. Jan 21, 2013
    Tarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie FoxxTarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie Foxx delivering a powerful, nuanced performance as Django. I was surprised with how entertaining the film was throughout the lengthy running time. Expand
  48. Dec 26, 2012
    Tarantino at his best. Another unique and incredible story. Great acting and screenplay. Definitely the best movie of the year hands down. Jamie Fox isn't the best actor in my opinion but I thought he was great for the role of Django, also Samuel L. Jackson was classic as always!
  49. Apr 29, 2013
    Quintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on a complete harmony of the actors and the setting. Rather than the setting making them feel more western, they make the setting more western, and ChristophQuintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on a complete harmony of the actors and the setting. Rather than the setting making them feel more western, they make the setting more western, and Christoph Waltz accomplishes this the best. He's not even American and he seemed to be a stamp of the time period. The action has that distinct tangy Tarantino spice to it: amazing, but overly messy at the same time. The movie reflects the gruesomeness of the 1850s on slavery, which is the theme that shapes Django (Jamie Foxx) throughout the movie into one of the best protagonists in 2012 cinema. Expand
  50. Jan 3, 2013
    As a lover of Spaghetti Westerns (Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite) and Tarentino films (Death Proof is my favorite), it was a no-brainer that I would enjoy this film. I was only a little surprised at how thoroughly I enjoyed it. From start to finish I was captivated. Do I think this is an absolutely great film that everyone must go see before they die? Nope. I can see where aAs a lover of Spaghetti Westerns (Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite) and Tarentino films (Death Proof is my favorite), it was a no-brainer that I would enjoy this film. I was only a little surprised at how thoroughly I enjoyed it. From start to finish I was captivated. Do I think this is an absolutely great film that everyone must go see before they die? Nope. I can see where a lot of people would not enjoy it. It is not a heavy thinkpiece or a soulless action flick. It is a character driven film with great moments of high tension (I do not believe anyone does it better today than Quentin) done by someone who has a great appreciation for the art - the way he makes pouring a beer pop with sound and image is one of the few things that earn him the right as a master. I left the theater wondering when I would have the chance to go see it again. Expand
  51. Mar 9, 2013
    Its one of Tarantino's best work, Django provides an exhilirating and brutal plot that pleases Tarantino fans and other fans alot.
  52. Feb 15, 2013
    Very good and sometimes funny western. I like everything on this movie, the cast, the director and the characters, especially Christopher Waltz Dr. King Schultz'. I like this movie a lot!!!
  53. Feb 8, 2013
    I find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film with a different setting.

Having said that, this movie surprised me. It was so well done in its spaghetti western style. The script was very well done (as QT normally does). But the Movie never takes itself too seriously. There are very tense action scenes as well as some very comical moments. The characters in this film are very remember-able. If this movie took it self as serious as say reservoirdogs or even pulp fiction, it would have failed. But it was a highly enjoyable movie. Must see even if you dont like QT
  54. Dec 27, 2012
    This might get preachy. First things first, anyone who gives this movie a one out of ten either lacks taste or is just being plain sour. I am not here to rate the director, however I AM here to rate the film. I do not care one bit about how this may or may not stack up to QT's past films. Truthfully, this is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. The cinematography isThis might get preachy. First things first, anyone who gives this movie a one out of ten either lacks taste or is just being plain sour. I am not here to rate the director, however I AM here to rate the film. I do not care one bit about how this may or may not stack up to QT's past films. Truthfully, this is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. The cinematography is vibrant, creative, and brilliant, and QT never fails to tell the story exceptionally well via visuals. The dialogue was witty and fantastic, it exceeded my expectations. (sarcasm ahead) WHY IS THE PLOT SO SIMPLE?! IT SHOULD HAVE A THOUSAND TWISTS AND THE COMPLEXITY OF A 10,000 PIECE PUZZLE! Not. I see nothing wrong with a simple plot that does the job, to simply entertain the audience. This film was amazing. It kept me captivated, laughing, and gritting my teeth from time to time from the marvelously-placed suspense. Expand
  55. Dec 30, 2012
    Don't listen to the ridiculous, amateurish critics here. The majority of the users giving this film poor views just LOVE films like Wreck it Ralph and The Bourne Legacy. Talk about artistic taste. This film is, without a doubt, one of the best (if not THE best) films of 2012. Since I was a bit late to the punch, there are plenty of reviews out, and I know that most enthusiasts would haveDon't listen to the ridiculous, amateurish critics here. The majority of the users giving this film poor views just LOVE films like Wreck it Ralph and The Bourne Legacy. Talk about artistic taste. This film is, without a doubt, one of the best (if not THE best) films of 2012. Since I was a bit late to the punch, there are plenty of reviews out, and I know that most enthusiasts would have planned to see it already... So if you haven't, just see it. Then you can either recognize its gritty brilliance and heart for what it is, or deplore it, and proceed to glorify the latest Michael Bay film instead. Expand
  56. Mar 20, 2013
    Mr Tarantino has create yet another master piece. This is the story of freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter travels to rescue his wife it is an hilarious awe inspiring western. brilliant acting all round charming performance from waltz and powerful performance from leo dicaprio. 10/10
  57. Dec 29, 2012
    The thing that I love about Tarantino (and subsequently about this movie) is that he makes the film that HE wants to make, not the film that anyone else would want him to make. This movie is fantastic specifically because it doesn't follow any tried-and-true Hollywood recipe for success, like so many other movies have been doing lately. Is it a comedy? Sort of. Is it a drama? Sort of. IsThe thing that I love about Tarantino (and subsequently about this movie) is that he makes the film that HE wants to make, not the film that anyone else would want him to make. This movie is fantastic specifically because it doesn't follow any tried-and-true Hollywood recipe for success, like so many other movies have been doing lately. Is it a comedy? Sort of. Is it a drama? Sort of. Is it a revenge flick? Well, yeah. It does actually fit in that category pretty good, but overall it doesn't really fit in an easy genre. People are complaining it isn't funny enough, to which I say, "Funny enough for what? Who promised you funny? If you want funny, or any other "single genre" movie, you're in the wrong movie." The only classification it unquestionably fits into is that it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, and that's what makes Tarantino great. If it weren't for him, a movie like this would never get made and we would all live sadder lives. Expand
  58. Dec 31, 2012
    I just saw this epic movie in the theaters, and wow is amazing! Quentin Tarantino is by far my favorite director after this movie. He doesnt do anything wrong esspecially in this master piece. The final shootout is insane to say the least! From begining to finish, this film does not dissapoint! Just see this non stop action movie and you will be blown away! 10 out of 10 definetly
  59. Jan 1, 2013
    I had to create an account to help prop this movie up to where it belongs- We all know that QT movies all share certain characteristics, which is why I'm surprised to see complaints about length, violence and language. A QT movie is like a top-shelf whiskey; it's high quality, purely distilled and complex - but it's also harsh! It's for adults with mature pallets. In that context, I feelI had to create an account to help prop this movie up to where it belongs- We all know that QT movies all share certain characteristics, which is why I'm surprised to see complaints about length, violence and language. A QT movie is like a top-shelf whiskey; it's high quality, purely distilled and complex - but it's also harsh! It's for adults with mature pallets. In that context, I feel that QT's filmography has been once again strengthened by this epic film. Yes, it is long - but I didn't want it to end! Yes it's violent, but violence (and the nature and style of the violence) is a QT trademark I expect, and yes it's vulgar, but the film's language reflects the it's setting. What's more, it's brilliantly clever, artful and there are individual performances that are iconic (particularly Waltz and DiCaprio). One other note: This film isn't Blacks vs. Whites - both races are represented by characters on both sides of good and evil. Expand
  60. Jan 7, 2013
    This is the best film I've seen this year. Incredibly entertaining, hilarious and just satisfying to watch. All of the negative reviews seem to be from people who are offended by bad language and violence. Umm, don't go see a QT movie if you are so thin-skinned. For the rest of the adult audience, do not miss this one in the theaters. An amazing experience you will not soon forget.
  61. Jan 10, 2013
    Probably the greatest movie ever created. Incredible while watching it, cinematography and everything. Great to reflect upon as well. Perfect. Quentin Tarantino.
  62. Jan 5, 2013
    "Django Unchained" is a 2012 American history film directed and written by Quentin Tarantino. The movie stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and Walton Goggins. THE PLOT - It takes place in the late 1850's in the Southern region of the United States of America. A German immigrant who works as a bounty hunter for a living named Dr. King"Django Unchained" is a 2012 American history film directed and written by Quentin Tarantino. The movie stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and Walton Goggins. THE PLOT - It takes place in the late 1850's in the Southern region of the United States of America. A German immigrant who works as a bounty hunter for a living named Dr. King Schultz helps a black man named Django escape from slavery. From there, Schultz and Django work together as bounty hunters and go on a mission to free Django's wife Broomhilda from a sadistic plantation owner named Calvin Candie. THE MAIN CHARACTERS - Django - A violent and angry ex-slave with revenge on his mind. He is a classic blaxploitation hero. He is fearless and a lot of members in the black audience will especially like him because he takes on the worst kind of racism in a very extreme and violent way. He reminds me of a real-life renegade slave from the 1830's named Nat Turner. Dr. King Schultz - Another violent man, but the majority of the audience will like him because he is a sympathetic white man towards the slaves in the U.S.A. and it's not like the men he kills are exactly good men who deserve pity. He reminds me of the abolitionist John Brown. (To history buffs - If you're familiar with Nat Turner and John Brown then just envision those two men working together and that is essentially to what we are treated to in "Django Unchained".) Calvin Candie - A charismatic, but very cruel white man who owns a large number of slaves. Candie also has a small gang of violent and racist white men (and one white woman) who work for him and do all his dirty work and clearly enjoy doing it. Django and Dr. Schultz meet their match when they encounter these people. Stephen - Candie's head and most loyal slave. He is an elderly black man who has been working for the Candie family his whole life. He is the eyes and ears for Candie. The film has all kinds of entertaining characters, but I believe those are the four who will get your attention the most. THE PACING OF THE MOVIE - The film is almost three hours long, but it went by very fast, and I was sad to see it end. I rarely enjoy films that are too long, but I literally loved every second of "Django Unchained". The pacing is wonderful. THE ACTION - The film has Quentin Tarantino's thumbprint all over it and if you're familiar with Quentin Tarantino films you know what I'm talking about. The film is very violent, so people who don't like violence should not watch the film. Those who love action films however will be in Heaven. THE RACISM - Some of the racism will bother some people, and you'll hear the "N" word a lot. However, in slavery days the "N" word was not consider a racist word. It was simply what black people were called by white people for the most part. (Heck, the word "racist" did not even enter society until after World War II. Just FYI.) Slavery happened in the U.S.A. rather we like it or not. We cannot make it go away by ignoring it. I personally think it is disrespectful to the memory of slaves by not realistically acknowledging what they went through and trying to forget it as if their feelings do not matter. THE SOUNDTRACK - The soundtrack is great and memorable, filled with a very diverse list of songs from 1960's instrumental western movie music all the way to rap music. It will really increase your emotions through out the film. MY THOUGHTS - As a long time American slavery/American Civil War history buff, I greatly enjoyed "Django Unchained" and feel it is one of the best history films ever made. Because I am so familiar with the time period that "Django Unchained" takes place in, as well am aware of the abuse slaves faced, I invested a lot of emotion into the film and that is what made it extra entertaining to me. Combined with the fact that it is a Quentin Tarantino film. I feel he creates highly realistic characters and that's why so many people love his work. Tarantino is truly a genius and the Mozart of filmmakers. I also enjoyed the cameos by Ted Neeley and Robert Carradine. There are some other memorable cameos as well. That's one of the many appealing things about QT and his films - He always casts the coolest people, even for small roles. Finally - For what it's worth - Even though the film was not a comedy, there was a funny scene that almost made me choke it made me laugh so much and it takes a lot to make me laugh. There are a few other comical moments as well that serve as wonderful comic relief. I highly recommend "Django Unchained" to history buffs, those who enjoy action films, Quentin Tarantino fans, and people who love classic Western cinema. (If you enjoy all of those kinds of films, this film will no doubt become one of your favorite films of all time.) Expand
  63. Jan 8, 2013
    This film is incredible.It's Tarantino at his best.The soundtack is so cool, the quotes are hilarious and the acting is compelling.I had an overdose of joy watching this.Tarantino is a movie nerd and it shows in his films. People can say what they like, find tiny faults here and there, but that's what makes it great.The rawness makes it feel more real.Anybody who likes cult B movies willThis film is incredible.It's Tarantino at his best.The soundtack is so cool, the quotes are hilarious and the acting is compelling.I had an overdose of joy watching this.Tarantino is a movie nerd and it shows in his films. People can say what they like, find tiny faults here and there, but that's what makes it great.The rawness makes it feel more real.Anybody who likes cult B movies will be blown away.Not everybody has the same taste, just like we don't all have the same IQ,so no surprise to see some negative reviews. Expand
  64. Jan 13, 2013
    The film is amazing. It contains everything you'd expect from Quentin and much more. dark humour, violence, great action, one liners and most of all its **** cool. Anyone one that marks this lower than ten doesn't know **** all about films...... and should be shot in the face!
  65. Jan 14, 2013
    The highly original opening of 'Inglorious Basterds' with the glass of milk and the pipes did not come from focus group consultations. Quentin Tarantino does not make formulaic predictable dross. I am so glad this did not let me down. The soundtrack, the comic mock violence and the highly enjoyable performances from the cast was such a relief after a turgid punishing, Lincoln.
  66. Jan 15, 2013
    This movie was spectacular, action, comedy, suspense, drama, a valuable history lesson, and a love story.. you couldn't ask for anything more! Not sure if anyone else noticed, but NO ONE used the "N" word with the "er" at the end of the word. In my opinion it was extremely tasteful and tactful in all aspects. The entire movie was well put together and kept me on the edge of my seat theThis movie was spectacular, action, comedy, suspense, drama, a valuable history lesson, and a love story.. you couldn't ask for anything more! Not sure if anyone else noticed, but NO ONE used the "N" word with the "er" at the end of the word. In my opinion it was extremely tasteful and tactful in all aspects. The entire movie was well put together and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time! Samuel L. Jackson played one of the best roles I have ever seen. I have seen every movie that Kerry Washington has been a part of and is an extremely underrated actress. This role displayed how truly talented she really is. I expect to see her in many more films in the near future. Leonardo DiCaprio was "EXTRAORDINARY" in this movie.. He played that role perfectly and showed his audience how deserving he is of any award that he earns from this and more. And Last but not least.. Jamie Fox.. What can I say.. Great singer but even better actor. I believe that this man put his ALL into this role. This movie needs to win an Oscar, Toni award or something!! I am African American and was not offended at all. If people feel as though they are offended they need to analyze themselves.. That was past an quite honestly the younger generation of today doesn't know horrible details of slavery, this film will give them an in depth look at what our ancestors went through for our freedom and equality. Expand
  67. Jan 17, 2013
    QT at his Finest - As an avid QT fan, among his films, I rank this one at @ #3 After Pulp and Inglourious. Storytelling superb as usual, Awesome Dialogue. A stylized, funny, romantic, violent, and dramatic tale done in a way that only QT can do. Not only that, he breaks boundaries with the slavery subject matter that no one else can touch. Movie of the year for me.
  68. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is ABSOLUTELY awesome. It's funny, cruel, rude, intense and just perfect. Tarantino simply mastered his own little formula that I'll never will get tired of (big plan at the beginning, main heroes almost achieved goal and then everything ruins). This movie is long, but i didn't feel like that, there's no parts that makes you feel like "why they included this part, they could'veThis movie is ABSOLUTELY awesome. It's funny, cruel, rude, intense and just perfect. Tarantino simply mastered his own little formula that I'll never will get tired of (big plan at the beginning, main heroes almost achieved goal and then everything ruins). This movie is long, but i didn't feel like that, there's no parts that makes you feel like "why they included this part, they could've cut it' every part of this movie makes sense, has place in plot and has a great details. Probably best movie of 2012, but definitely will be one of the best movies of this decade. Expand
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    Django Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that IDjango Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that I have now a great love and appreciation for cinema. He has a certain style and brilliant writing abilities that have made his movies some of the most respected and loved films ever made, and have shown me a different and original style that we never see. This movie brings out a new genre from Taratino and he uses it like a master, making it into a raw and surprisingly original film that any true fan of his will love, and even people not familiar with his work will love. I don't think I have seen a movie as bloody and gritty as this one in a very long time, I mean I have seen some bloody films but at the top of my head this one takes the prize. This film is both a mixture of an entertaining action flick, a slavery drama, and a western comedy. It could also be called a mix of Blazing Saddles and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Some people may see this as a simple action film that really didn't have a point to it, but in my eyes, its Taratino's way of getting the vengeance for all people who were ever a slave or abused by white people. You are going to never view slavery the same way as you did before you saw this movie, and that is a great achievement. This is not an inspirational or life changing film, but it's a film about redemption and that is what Taratino shows in all his films and is what makes this one of the best films I have seen all year. The incredible performances from the cast only add to the greatness of the film, and these are performances you will remember for a long time. I love westerns, I love Quentin Taratino, and I loved this movie and it will likely be remembered as a masterpiece and one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  70. Jan 27, 2013
    Great movie, great story, great characters. Once again Tarantino made it!! The script is amazing, the dialoges are very clever as always in his movies!!I will see it again and again!! Nice work Quentin!!
  71. Jan 28, 2013
    Django Unchained has it all. I would describe as half action-adventure, half comedy. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson provide terrific performances as Calvin Candie, a dastardly plantation owner, and Stephen, Calvin's deceivingly smart servant. Foxx was pretty good, although his performance tailed off in the second part of the movie.

The only negative thing about the film I can

The only negative thing about the film I can think of is some unexplained scenes. The movie initially had a runtime of 6 hours, so instead of making 2 films like Kill Bill, Tarantino shoehorned all of the content into a single film. There are some distinct characters and dialogue appertaining to them and it would have been nice to have seen some of Django's back-story. To sum everything up, Django is a completely unique experience, a welcome change from the generic action films Hollywood seems to belch out every month.
  72. Jan 28, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.
  73. Feb 25, 2013
    A film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's aA film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's a good one. The costume and set designs as always are beautifully done. The gore is, although over-the-top, is very fun to watch and will have you squirming in your seats. All in all, I am very pleased that Mr Waltz and Mr Tarantino came home happy from the Oscars on Sunday Night. Expand
  74. Jan 31, 2013
    This film is simply epic, the directing is extraordinary the acting is brilliant and the script plays up to the actors perfectly. So far this film is number 1 on my list for 2013, all i can say is you shouldn't miss it!
  75. Feb 5, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino best film. Some wonderful performances in this film from jamie foxx leo dicaprio christoph waltz which is now one of my favorite actors is just wonderful in this film and samuel l jackson one of his most memorable performance with quotes like "who dis n***a on dat neigh" and dem MF aren't here to buy no mandingo". Beautifully written and well directed 10/10.
  76. Feb 10, 2013
    Tarantino at his best. Fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be as long but the time flew by I was gripped throughout. With some great comedy moments too. Up there with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best films.
  77. May 14, 2013
    When I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revenge western, with its bromcom double act from Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz, is set among the slave plantations of pre-civil war America. It is partlyWhen I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revenge western, with its bromcom double act from Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz, is set among the slave plantations of pre-civil war America. It is partly based on the 1960s cult Django westerns starring Franco Nero (who returns in cameo here) and partly on the notorious 1975 exploitation picture Mandingo, but it's distinctive on its own fantastically outrageous terms: an audacious and horribly funny comic-book nightmare. Tarantino, king of the comeback, famously returned John Travolta to the pop-culture frontline for Pulp Fiction and indeed renewed crime writer Eddie Bunker's pulp-fiction stardom by getting him an acting gig as Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. Now Tarantino has made his own comeback, after a recent worrying slump, with his best film since Kill Bill: Vol. 1.It's certainly an awful lot better than the previous film Inglourious Basterds, which I attacked on account of its misfiring spaghetti-Nazi theme and bafflingly dull plot. I should here record that many did not agree with this view, and my previous lavish praise for the great man only seemed to make things worse. Someone online called me a "petulant Taranteenybopper" throwing a strop. Well, possibly.For me, Tarantino had always been the master of a certain type of narcotic euphoria in the cinema, something exquisitely superfluous, something to do with his mastery of surface and style an ability to make you believe in it and see through it at the same time. That ability has gloriously returned. Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is morally comfortable; everyone is a victim or monster. Expand
  78. Jun 9, 2013
    This is easily one of the best movies ever made. It has fantastic acting, awesome characters, amazing and hilariously bloody shoot out scenes, an outside the box story, a great script, and a great everything! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Quentin Tarantino has done it again. He is one of the best directors ever and he never disappoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  79. Mar 3, 2013
    I went to go see this on Christmas Day and since then it has been lodged into my brain and I can't get it out of my head. Very good dialogue, adrenaline pumping action, what's not to like. If you are a Tarantino fan you'll love this movie with every bit of your heart. This is in my opinion the best movie of 2012 and if my opinion does mean anything my favorite movie of all time.
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    Spike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hoodSpike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hood scene. I couldn't stop laughing, it was brilliant! Waltz is incredible, Leo evil, Washington nailed the emotion, Samuel L Jackson made you hate him, and Fox made Django real. The best cast of 2012. Expand
  81. Mar 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained being Quentin Tarantino's latest film is as usual very exciting and violent, but that goes without saying because its a Tarantino film. With the excellent casting he has managed to get together I don't think the film could have been much better. Dango Unchained is based in 1857 nearing the end of slavery. Django (Jamie Foxx) gives a very gentle character at the beginning but throughout the film he gets very determined character trying to get his wife back Brumhilda (Kerry Washington) who hasn't got a very big role, with help from Dr. King Shultz (Christof Waltz) who is a dentist but works with Django as a partnership being a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz asks Django to point out who the Brittle brothers are and in reward he will help Django find his wife. Brumhilda (Django's wife) was found to be at Candy Land (a slave farm) owned by Calvin Candy (leonardo DiCaprio). Django and Dr. King Shultz have to try and shoot their way out of Candie land to survive and rescue Broomhilda. Samuel Jackson also appears in the second half of the film as stephan a black slave trader. This film is funny, violent, exciting and memorable for life. Expand
  82. Mar 28, 2013
    This is by far my favorite movie of 2012. I am a HUGE Tarantino fan and he definitely didn't disappoint me with this one. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Dicaprio were incredible!
  83. Apr 1, 2013
    IN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout asIN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout as well as a story that keeps wondering whether the plan will work out in the end. The action in this film is amazingly over the top with blood splattering everywhere and heads exploding left and right. It is almost like Tarantino has used the violence to compliment the style of the film because it looks like good old fashioned special effects. The music in the film is great adding to the atmosphere when playing or purposely omitted. Finally the acting by everyone involved is some of the best performances I have seen from these people and encouraging feelings of hatred towards characters and being pleased to see them suffer. Rating 10 out of 10 The modern western full of style and substance Expand
  84. Apr 6, 2013
    Simply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. TheSimply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. The revenge-fueled plot and the character archetypes also evoke images John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films.

Strangely enough, however, rap music and sunglasses badassitude trickles into this "Southern". Tarantino, of course, writes in his own style. Excessive (almost cartoonish) violence befalls all characters, the dialogue-only scenes are abundant, and depictions of the pre-Civil War South are brilliant and ominous. Tarantino gives the film a unique atmosphere that I haven't seen since Kill Bill. Django Unchained pulls you into the screen and makes you feel like you are living in the cartoonish, wit-smitten world of the film. I truly felt for Django's quest and was intrigued by the story of his German liberator King Schultz.

Speaking of, the characters in this film are outstanding. Tarantino has always been a character writer, but Django and Schultz may be the best film duo I've ever seen. Each character is interesting on their own level (the introduction of Schultz sparks one of most unexpected and entertaining opening scenes in history), but it's the interaction between Django and Schultz that's most memorable.

Leonardo DiCaprio's villain Calvin Candie is especially potent, to the point that I hated the actor himself for a time after seeing the movie. A slaver with a excessively playboy demeanor, Candie is essentially a hilarious, despicable character that sets up the pieces to introduce the film's true antagonist: Stephen, the head house slave of Candie's plantation (played by Samuel L. Jackson). I can't say too much about this character without spoiling the movie, but it's definitely one of Jackson's scariest roles.

The climax is one of Tarantino's best, I was never bored while watching the three-hour long movie, and I'm still thinking about the characters and the plot today. This is a movie that I will want to rewatch again and again. I have pre-ordered it from Amazon, and I rarely buy things from the Internet. I highly recommend this movie to all but the faintest of souls.
  85. May 23, 2013
    Django Unchained is easily one of the best movies I have seen in really long, everything from the story to the great shooting scenes is incredibly well done. Quentin Tarantino always delivers.
  86. Apr 9, 2013
    I recommend Django Unchained. It's funny and brutally violent. Good acting, good story and setting, memorable characters (even the minor ones), memorable scenes, main character has an arc.
    It holds nothing back. It has personality.
    I also recommend the original Django (1966).
  87. Apr 13, 2013
    Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay
    - Excellent acting
    - Good choice of music
    - Great direction by Quentin Tarantino
    Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It is absolutely terrific
  88. May 20, 2013
    HOLY S**T THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. i love westerns and this movie is so funny and bad*** that it is almost better than pulp fiction. the acting is great, the soundtrack is great, the action is great, EVERYTHING IS GREAT.

This is secretly a 20 but metacritic wont allow it
  89. Apr 23, 2013
    Simply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyful masterpiece that celebrates both the folklore this country has embraced and also its cinematic flourishes. Jamie Foxx is as iconic as early Eastwood inSimply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyful masterpiece that celebrates both the folklore this country has embraced and also its cinematic flourishes. Jamie Foxx is as iconic as early Eastwood in the role. And Christophe Waltz is too good for Oscar. Expand
  90. Apr 25, 2013
    One of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of the pre- civil war United States. This movie depicts the reality in a brutally true fashion. It is an unspeakably violent film, both in it's tone and theOne of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of the pre- civil war United States. This movie depicts the reality in a brutally true fashion. It is an unspeakably violent film, both in it's tone and the in the gory violence it displays.

Unforgettable scenes with great performances from the entire cast, especially DiCaprio, who in my personal opinion was slightly superior to the Academy Award Winner Christoph Waltz. This is decisively one of the boldest films ever made, a long, brutal yet satisfying tale of vengeance, friendship and moral values. This film is a clear masterpiece. A future cult classic, with classic Tarantino dialogue and writing, to be quoted over and over again. 10/10
  91. May 4, 2013
    This is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I loved this movie with a passion and had been following it since it was announced in 2011. I think this is the best western since The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, probably even better. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  92. Sep 1, 2013
    Yes this film is racist, but like Quintin said it was a realistic portrayal of those times.The acting in this film is just amazing, the scenes are also great with stunning set's and backdrops. The film also balances comedy with seriousness really well. I know this film is three hours but it kept me entertained the whole way through and its the best film I've seen for a long time, in factYes this film is racist, but like Quintin said it was a realistic portrayal of those times.The acting in this film is just amazing, the scenes are also great with stunning set's and backdrops. The film also balances comedy with seriousness really well. I know this film is three hours but it kept me entertained the whole way through and its the best film I've seen for a long time, in fact it might possibly be my favorite film ever. Django is great.P.s none of the actors shone over each other they were all just as amazing as one another. Expand
  93. May 12, 2013
    As a huge Tarantino fan there was no doubt i was going to watch this movie, plus this is the first western o come out in a long time cowboy's and aliens doesn't count). The characters are fantastic, the timing perfect, and there are scene's you can't help but to feel bad about for laughing at.
    When you have Blood, gore, and violence, you're gonna have a good time. They over do it with the blood, and that makes it even better. This movie has created one of my new favorite characters, Dr. Schultz. He is one of the best written characters i have seen in a movie.
    Combine all these thing's together, and you have a great film, this is why it deserves the 10 i gave it.
  94. May 21, 2013
    This movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson was played a great role as both a joker as well as an evil man. Christopher Waltz was the best part of the film. He did a job that Tarantino was mostThis movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson was played a great role as both a joker as well as an evil man. Christopher Waltz was the best part of the film. He did a job that Tarantino was most proud of. It is about time that we have another great western film. This is why I give it a 10/10 Expand
  95. Feb 3, 2014
    完美的QT电影,几位配角都很抢眼特别是杰克逊和莱昂纳多,前者对于黑奴奴性的刻画到达疯狂的极致,后者饰演的奴隶主把自己的凶险演得特别好,晚餐对峙戏尤为精彩,配乐传统QT风,场景设计得很棒,剧情超级棒,各种转折和枪林弹雨,结尾大爱。
  96. Jun 16, 2013
    Loved Django If I ever have a son, I'm gonna name him Django. I loved the southern grammar they used. It was entertaining to watch everyone get all country on us. Especially Leonardo DiCaprio This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. Excellent job Quentin Tarentino
  97. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant film. I've never really been a fan of western films but I wanted to see this because Tarantino is one of my favourite directors and the films he makes are just pure entertainment. My expectations were high for this but they were blown out of the water, absolutely loved it. Everything about this film was excellent.

Firstly the cast, absolutely brilliant. Jamie Foxx as Django was a very good choice and I really liked him. Christoph Waltz as Dr King Schultz was another great choice and I find myself wondering why he was never discovered in Hollywood before Inglorious Basterds, well done Tarantino, well done. Leonardo DiCaprio was a brilliant choice to play the psychotic Calvin Candie and lastly, Samuel L Jackson as yet another stand out character as Stephen, Candie's butler. Jackson is absolutely hilarious and provides some comedy gold to the film.

Secondly, the plot is very good, which follows Django, a slave who is released from his owners by Dr Schultz who is actually a bounty hunter who needs Django's help with some jobs, he then agrees to help Django find his wife (played by Kerry Washington).

Thirdly, the film is very dark, and in my opinion rightly so, as Tarantino captures the brutality of slavery very well and doesn't hold back on the violence. I feel he dealt with such a serious and sensitive topic very well in the way it was portrayed. There have been complaints of the excessive use of racial slurs in the film but in my opinion this is how it would have been during the slave trade.

Furthermore, look out for the scene with Big Daddy (Don Johnson) and his workers when they hunt try to kill Django, which includes a short cameo from Jonah Hill. The film is hilarious an is like a Monty Python sketch which is something Tarantino has done very well in his films.

Overall, a fantastic film, and up there with Tarantino's best in my opinion. Very dark at times but has it's hilarious moments and will keep you entertained from start to finish.
  98. Jul 23, 2013
    Historically, it’s clearly off. But you see the plight of slaves in that era and can’t not say this movie is one of the boldest that’s ever been done. It’s phenomenal, and while it is 165 minutes long, those minutes will fly by. It’s raw, crazy, and just one damn good time.
  99. Jul 26, 2013
    normally I don't even enjoy long dialogue scenes. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of action scenes in this movie. But the dialogues are just a pleasure to watch because they emphazise the brilliant talent of the main characters so much better. One can not dislike Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio made for an awesome, charming, capitalist villain. But all actors were really good.normally I don't even enjoy long dialogue scenes. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of action scenes in this movie. But the dialogues are just a pleasure to watch because they emphazise the brilliant talent of the main characters so much better. One can not dislike Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio made for an awesome, charming, capitalist villain. But all actors were really good.
    While the plot is done Tarantino style and should not be taken tooo serious it is still awesome that it touches some of the more serious 'taboo' thematics of slavery. This film will make people talk... and that's a good thing!
  100. Aug 29, 2013
    The second best western ever, one of the 20 best movies ever made and my favourite Tarantino movie ever.
    This movie has a great and compelling plot, humor, romance, action and adventure. The characters are amazing and portrayed perfectly, Christoph Waltz being the best of the bests in the movie, alongside Leonardo Di Caprio.
    The soundtrack is evocative and the movie is really fast-paced,
    The soundtrack is evocative and the movie is really fast-paced, so the 2 hours and 45 minutes fly.
    A must-see to all the fans of good movies, Tarantino and western genre.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.