8.5

1. Sep 1, 2014
    Another epic masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino. Once again, the perfect mix of bold and funny that we've come to know and love; and he does so with great help from Waltz, DiCaprio and Foxx.
  2. Jul 28, 2014
    Filmin müzikleri ve sahneleri çok başarılı, başta Christopher Waltz ve Leonardo di Caprio olmak üzere oyunculuklar ve karakterler olağanüstü, Tarantino'yu zaten biliyoruz her zamanki gibi.Sonuçta uzun ama zamanın ötesinde gerçekten çok iyi bir film çıkıyor karşımıza.
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    If Mel Brooks had directed it might have worked, because this can only be approached as a work of satire. But it's not funny, it's not sad, it's a dud on every level, a milk dud has more flavor.

Tarantino cannot write romance, what a shock, right. But a romance is the center of the story and ( Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington) were both a total miscast. Will Smith would have elevated the
    love story playing opposite say perhaps Keke Palmer who owns an edge and inherent sadness in her eyes at times but shares the attractive personality of Will Smith, whereas Foxx and Washington were both dull and artificially stoic.

What's more Tarantino did not even come close to depicting the misery of enslavement, which was key in lending any emotional involvement for the audience.

A lazy outing at the typewriter for Tarantino....if you wanna write slavery, shackle yourself to the desk next time because you clearly do not know what it means and failed even to imagine it.

Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio both shined per usual and the death of their characters were felt but as for the rest of the cast you can throw them all to the dogs...

Tarantino has proven twice now he can't write historical.
  4. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Django Unchained was absolutely amazing! Although it was a nearly three hour movie, there was never a dull moment, which made it feel much less shorter.
  5. Jul 14, 2014
    Historically, it’s clearly off. But you see the plight of slaves in that era and can’t not say this movie is one of the boldest that’s ever been done. It’s phenomenal, and while it is 165 minutes long, those minutes will fly by. It’s raw, crazy, and just one damn good time.
  6. Jul 10, 2014
    Sensacional. Tarantino crea un western a su medida. Mirándola bien, creo que no le falta ni le sobra nada. Los actores están grandiosos (sobretodo DiCaprio y Waltz) y la última hora de película es una pasada. Sean fans o no de Tarantino y/o el western, véanla. De lo mejor del 2012.
  7. May 31, 2014
    Wow is all I could just say about this movie after watching it I've never seen a western like this if you are used to Clint Eastwood westerns they will not prepare you for this although this movie is not based on an actual story I feel without a doubt that the actions that took place in this film were not irregular practices which makes this movie have an early feel to it this movie was gritty and bloody although I'm fine with and action packed scene or shootout there's parts of this movie that made me cringe and almost brought tears to my eyes something not many movies do and all the actors performances in this movie were amazing especially the villain never have I seen such a despicable character in a movie and it was executed perfectly by Leonardo DiCaprio. Expand
  8. May 15, 2014
    Brilliant movie, when I first heard about this movie I had my doubts about it but when I heard that Tarantino was directing it I knew it would work out... And it did this movie was great, There's some great actors in this and they all deliver great performances. The plot is good, even the jokes that they put on thought out this thing fit in well WORTH WATCHING. 8.5/10
  9. May 4, 2014
    I don't care if you complain about the violence but Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's best. Great Characters and the usual astonishing and creative dialogue from Tarantino's head. Great performances bu the great Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and a very different role for DiCaprio, DiCaprio shows that he can be a very smart actor as a villain. Django is obviously is in my list of the best films of 2012 Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    Django Unchained serves as legendary director-writer Quentin Tarantino’s latest installment of cinematic gold. Chalk-full of the witty dialogue and gruesome violence that Tarantino fans have come to love and embrace, This film stacks the deck with notable actors and actresses that are strewn throughout, which only strengthens this movie’s potential and amusement. This film is shot in sort of a sloppy way, with no sense of direction or focus. I can only assume this was done intentionally to increase the sense of overall griminess of the story. While it’s not flawlessly executed (most likely due to Tarantino knack of do things on his own terms) this movie is both thoroughly enjoyable and definitely worth 3 hours of your time. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique of Tarantino, but most lasted an appropriate amount of time. This film managed to pull all of the right emotional strings. It was straightforward and compelling. Expand
  12. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, by far one of the best films by Tarantino. The story is great, the acting is superb... Basically everything is great! One thing that I like about Quentin's movies is the violence, and this film has tons of it! The film completely changed me and I will never forget it!
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    Tarantino hits another home run. This ones out of the city not just the park. What a interesting movie. The characters are amazing. Waltz is the good guy this time and he is wonderful. Fox is wonderful. I really enjoyed this movie. Must see. If you like QT movies you will love it. If you don't like QT movies....what can I say.
  14. Mar 4, 2014
    Tarantino hits home again. I've never really been a fan of Westerns but this is a definite exception. It's definitely too long and I can think of several ways of shortening it, but that gripe is overshadowed by the brutal, dark yet charming storyline. Waltz is also superb as are all of the main characters and overall, definitely a film well deserving of its praise.
  15. Feb 22, 2014
    Django unchained is a violent brutal tale of revenge. Thought this production the acting is consistently engaging and all performers display their characters personalities and the actual raw film making on show here is quite impressive. the story is exiting and entertaining at the same time as exploring deeper themes such as slavery. This film is worth a watch . as long as you don't mind excessive violence. Expand
  16. Feb 10, 2014
    I enjoyed it, immensely in fact, something about Quentin Tarantino's movies that convey so much character and texture, and thus one delivers in spades on both of those accounts, yes there is gratuitous use of the dreaded n-word, but you can't possibly hate the movie because it didn't sweep our history under the rug. One of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion.
  17. Feb 9, 2014
    Finally got around to seeing this and was not disappointed in the least. Tarantino once again gives this movie his incredibly unique style, and it somehow works. Great music, great ending and great acting, especially by Leonardo DiCaprio, he absolutely nailed that character. This isn't a perfect movie, but its a damn good one that you need to watch.
  18. Feb 3, 2014
    完美的QT电影,几位配角都很抢眼特别是杰克逊和莱昂纳多,前者对于黑奴奴性的刻画到达疯狂的极致,后者饰演的奴隶主把自己的凶险演得特别好,晚餐对峙戏尤为精彩,配乐传统QT风,场景设计得很棒,剧情超级棒,各种转折和枪林弹雨,结尾大爱。
  19. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, this is a long movie, but it is amazing all the way through. Quentin Tarantino makes some of the best films I have ever seen. This movie has just about everything you could ever want packed into one film. Witty humor, action, lots of excessive gore at some parts. This kind of film gives Tarantino a great reputation. His films are unlike anyone else's, which is why everyone should watch this.
  20. Jan 17, 2014
    Django Unchained is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 (Christmas Day), in North America.American western film filmed in Durango, Mexico
  21. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The effects, story and the characters made me watch it twice. Tarantino underlined very well how black people were treated like dogs which made me sad. Also excluding the sadness, there are many funny and awesome scenes. If you are reading this then watch the movie and thank me later..
  22. Jan 14, 2014
    Tarantino has done it again! Excellent performance by the cast especially Christoph Waltz who thoroughly deserved his Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson was essential to bringing humour with his 'Uncle Ruckus' -like performance and the ending was the icing on the cake. Thumbs up!
  23. Jan 9, 2014
    I loved every minute of this movie. The dialogue is amazingly well written and hilarious, the characters are memorable, the acting is terrific (Leo) and it's just a blast to watch. One of the best movies of 2012 and one of Tarantino's finest.
  24. Dec 31, 2013
    Entra pra lista como um dos filme mais incríveis de Quentin Tarantino, graças a sua trama, trilha sonora e personagens e sem contar boas doses exageradas de sangue.
  25. Dec 29, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present, along with a great deal of comical moments. The story and direction as well as the characters all deserve praise of the highest order. Even if you're not a Tarantino fan, you should definitely give Django a try. Expand
  26. Dec 17, 2013
    Django Unchained is typically too violent and too lengthy and profane. However, all the actors steal their scenes and the plot is very sturdy and strong.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    This obviously has excellent fight scenes and great performances as well as direction. But nearly three hours makes it become tedious, with a lot of scenes dragging on far longer than they should be.
  28. Dec 5, 2013
    There were a lot of things about this movie that I liked. The things that I didn't like, bothered me.... 1) There are an uncomfortable amount of far-fetched moments, in which characters seem to act against their nature in order to serve the plot better. 2) Tarantino's cameo is extremely awkward he may as we'll have been on screen wearing a beret and sitting in a director's chair. 3) I'll never agree with the use of modern music in period movies. Are electric guitars and hip-hop necessary in a cowboy movie?
    I think Quentin Tarantino is (maybe was) a great director. I just wish he'd stop making semi-serious, semi-goofball REVENGE flicks a la Kill Bill, Kill Bill Vol. II, Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained. That's four, and I believe he's threatened to make another Kill Bill! It's now a great number of years since Tarantino has shown any real range as a filmmaker. He obviously has the talent and imagination to make a serious movie for a change, and he really should.
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    As one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it's not. It does hit on a few heavy subject like slavery but it also has funny moments as all of his films do. Great movie. Go watch it Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    I’m surprised how few people seem to be giving this film a negative review based on racism. The black stereotypes in this film are nauseating. I haven’t seen the film(s?) this was based on, but it seems to me that the value in remaking a thing would be to translate what was good about it while giving mind to what could change. Well, for example, just imagine if Indiana Jones didn’t say, “Good onya Flash Gordon et al., but really you were too dry, we’re gonna load this film up with humor!” But that’s essentially what you have here. Not a dearth of humor, but of human understanding. All of the black characters seemed to reflect Candie’s disgusting lie that black people exist to be servants, except, of course, for Django. He seems to be so contrasted by the idiocy of the rest of the African American characters as to be, in the logic of the movie, infused with the “White Man’s” spirit. Consider the people freed at the beginning and end of the film, they have to be told, “Go now, you are free.” In fact, the men in the wagon continue to sit there through the credits and finally say: “Who was that n-gr?” Thank God that being black and a slave didn’t mean being utterly stupid as this film seems to be saying or we would all be in serious trouble indeed as all the superlative black people gifted to us by history would be erased. I think what is worst for me is that Candie’s bigotry, justified as science in the form of Phrenology, goes completely unchallenged--except in the “Me angry man, you die now” sense. The blame for this falls entirely on Tarantino who should never have created such a racist film. At that scene at the dinner table, I would have relished a pause from the dialogue to bring Sam Jackson on screen to cut into Candie’s skull and show the audience the fallacy of Phrenology. As it is, I think racist people will walk away from this movie feeling empowered with knowledge and reason. Expand
  31. Oct 12, 2013
    This is by far one of my favorite movies. I love everything western and this movie followed the journey of a slave turned bounty hunter named Django in his search to find and free his wife. This movie has a good story, tons of action, and some comedy. This movie was also made by Quentin Tarantino so you know its good already.
  32. Oct 7, 2013
    One of the best movies I have ever seen, I have seen this movie so many times and still can't get enough, do yourself a favor and watch Django Unchained,
  33. Sep 25, 2013
    This was the first Tarantino movie I'd seen in the cinemas and the first Tarantino movie I thought was REALLY good. Previously I'd seen the first Kill Bill which I didn't quite get at first and Inglorious Basterds which was pretty good. I really wanted to see Django Unchained, my expectations were very high and it delivered. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it delivered. There's SO much in this movie that's good. The plot, the characters, the performances, the music, the cinematography, the humour, the action, the drama. If you had to niggle there are some historically inaccurate things (which I think Tarantino would've been aware of) and Django's wife isn't that interesting. But really that's nit-picking, the effect it has on the film is second to none. Whether you count it as a 2012 or 2013 film it'd be up there with the best of either year. Expand
  34. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained is living proof that just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's boring or that it drags. (This was also proven in Goodfellas) It is a great movie, with expert storytelling by Tarantino and noted performances by Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and the emerging Christopher Waltz! It's fun to watch, even though the violence level is standard for Tarantino. On a sadder note, this will be the first of his feature films not edited by Sally Menke, who died in 2010. What a pity. Expand
  35. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained (the 'D' is silent), is a fun action film. THe film is a bit slowly paced, yet made sure to ensure that the film was still engaging and kept the action moving. I felt it was a bit long winded (2 hours 45 minutes) for my taste, and I felt it could have been sped up a bit without losing anything. The overall plot is simple, Django get's separated from his wife, and this is the story of him trying to rescue her (that's all I can say without ruining anything). While the film focuses heavily on the main characters, Tarentino does a fantastic job of making the story interesting by using secondary characters to his advantage. This adds a lot to the film and makes the film come to life. The movie though isn't as violence focused as some others by him such as Kill Bill (don't worry, there is still plenty of violence), but really takes advantage of humor to make this a bit more light hearted at times. It's important to remember though that this is a fictional movie. There are historical inaccuracies, etc. and this is fine as long as you can look past that.

Parents, this is not for kids. There is a little nudity, some innuendos, lots of violence, blood, and gore, use of the "N" word, concepts such as slavery, alcohol consumption etc. For this reason I'd peg it at 15-18 years old. This obviously will vary depending on the family.

Overall, the audio itself is not the best I've heard with it's DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtrack. The film's vocals are slightly low on the volume end. The dynamics aren't there and it's a bit of a flat soundtrack. The highs and lows don't occur often. It does have a few dynamic peaks, the surrounds are used pretty well to create a nice, encompassing environment.

The video was good, a bit cold considering the desert and warm environments the characters were in. The blood and shadows were detailed and the shadows had a fantastic detail level with the grime and textures. The film is a bit soft, not as sharp as I would have liked at times but still well detailed. I believe this is an artistic choice, but one that bothered me at times.

Overall I'd recommend it, but it was a bit longer than I would have liked. The characters were well developed and had some good humor at times. If you have the time, go for it, but if you can't stand a long and often violent movie, I would recommend passing on this.
  36. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained was an interesting film i didn't expect it to be as good as it was, its set in Texas in the year 1858 in this time period black people was considerd slaves and they was nothing more at the start of the film when Django gets saved by the Bounty Hunter Dr. King Schultz he buys Django knows what Schultz targets look like, Django offers to help if Schultz repays the favor by helping him find his wife, after they move on and take down these people and get the Bounty Schultz teaches Django how to kill and become a bountry hunter, They get hunted down by a racist group but Django and Schultz set off a trap and ambush them, lets not give anymore spoilers away, this film is so well writen but its not getting a full 10 from me because i just feel its not perfect, but nothing is OH one more thing the D might be Silent but the N shore isn't Expand
  37. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino’s latest audacious picture, dealt boldly with a topic rarely explored in film. I appreciated how heavy subject matter was moulded into an incredibly entertaining piece of cinema, undoubtedly condemning the atrocities of the era, whilst avoiding simplistic moralising. Shocking juxtaposition of cruelty and comedy, frequently within scenes, created a particularly effective mood whiplash. True to form, much style is drawn from the director’s love of homage; this time from the Spaghetti Western, he brings the visual intensity of stunning landscapes, and a memorable soundtrack, whilst indulging in the exquisite interiors and costumes of the period. Expand
  38. Sep 1, 2013
    Yes this film is racist, but like Quintin said it was a realistic portrayal of those times.The acting in this film is just amazing, the scenes are also great with stunning set's and backdrops. The film also balances comedy with seriousness really well. I know this film is three hours but it kept me entertained the whole way through and its the best film I've seen for a long time, in fact it might possibly be my favorite film ever. Django is great.P.s none of the actors shone over each other they were all just as amazing as one another. Expand
  39. Aug 30, 2013
    Django Unchained: Brilliant. An amazing cast that really show what they can do. Jamie Foxx: Great as Django, a true badass in this movie. Christoph Waltz: Deserved the oscar that he got for this film. Leonardo Dicaprio: A brilliant performance as the films main antagonist Calvin Candie. Violence was over the top but awesome, blood splattered everywhere when someone was shot, the story was great and ended brilliantly in wild west style. An excellent movie that deserves to be watched by everyone of the appropriate age. 9/10. Expand
  40. Aug 29, 2013
    The second best western ever, one of the 20 best movies ever made and my favourite Tarantino movie ever.
    This movie has a great and compelling plot, humor, romance, action and adventure. The characters are amazing and portrayed perfectly, Christoph Waltz being the best of the bests in the movie, alongside Leonardo Di Caprio.
    The soundtrack is evocative and the movie is really fast-paced,
    so the 2 hours and 45 minutes fly.
    A must-see to all the fans of good movies, Tarantino and western genre.
  41. Aug 26, 2013
    Django Unchained is an example for awesome western movie! I think it's near perfect, but the only thing i hated was that the real action started at the end and the first gangs died too easy! Everything else was great! 7.5 out of 10 is my score HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
  42. Aug 25, 2013
    A incredibly bloody and brilliant masterpiece by the ever brilliant Quentin Tarantino is smart, hilarious and shocking in equal measure. The film has been made with complete care and it shows with beautiful cinematography, fantastic acting and great directing. One of the best films to be released in 2012.
  43. Aug 22, 2013
    Charismatic Acting by Waltz and DiCaprio, it effectively reverses the history of slavery with well thought of dark-comedy. Not the masterpiece of Pulp Fiction, but Tarantino stabilizes his position as a respected screenwriter and director
  44. Aug 9, 2013
    Django Unchained was an excellent, surprisingly light and utterly hilarious western from Quentin Tarantino. The movie surprised me at many different junctures and delighted throughout. This was a fantastic film!
  45. Jul 26, 2013
    normally I don't even enjoy long dialogue scenes. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of action scenes in this movie. But the dialogues are just a pleasure to watch because they emphazise the brilliant talent of the main characters so much better. One can not dislike Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio made for an awesome, charming, capitalist villain. But all actors were really good.
    While the plot is done Tarantino style and should not be taken tooo serious it is still awesome that it touches some of the more serious 'taboo' thematics of slavery. This film will make people talk... and that's a good thing!
  46. Jul 23, 2013
  47. Jul 16, 2013
    First of all: For you guys who complain about Tarantino using slavery in the west, pay attention to the movie before talking The movie DOES NOT pass in the west! Texas and Mississippi are on the south, that's it, the movie doesn't take place anywhere else. You really think Tarantino would make such a mistake?
    I loved the movie, the acting, the story (that is quite different from the style
    of any other Tarantino movie), the way he mixes all kinds of genre (comedy, drama, action, etc) and makes the movie get so interesting you want to watch it again, and again and again. Besides i didn't like the fact Django turned out to be the Cowboy image (come on, it would be awesome if he was just the free slave getting his vengence without this whole american western cowboy hero thing), Tarantino made an impressive screenplay with an impressive acting work. For the violence, some people complain about the absurd amount. For me, Tarantino can ude it the way he wants, that at the end, it's going to be good, more then any other violence movie. Expand
  48. Jul 16, 2013
    As far as Tarantino movies go, "Django Unchained" is right up there with "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill" in my books. It's funny, it's over-the-top brutal and it's extremely enjoyable to watch. Unless racism and the use of the "N-word" ruin a movie for you. In that case, "Django" probably ain't on the top of your "Movies to watch"-list.
  49. Jul 14, 2013
    I went into this film really wanting to like it, and it does pain me to say it but I was slightly bored...and when I find myself having an internal debate about what I'm going to have for dinner that evening during a film, I have to admit that it wasn't a particularly captivating experience. The plot was good, but I didn't feel it really stood up to the challenge of providing something entertaining for a time slot that matches Lord of the Rings. The characters were great but I didn't come out of the film thinking 'oh my god that was amazing' by any stretch of the measure. It was alright. Considering what the film is actually about I personally felt compelled to like it, and not in a good way but in a 'well, if you don't like this film you clearly don't understand the concept' sort of way, which I never appreciate. Probably worth a watch so you're not too left out of any conversation regarding films but yeah, maybe bring a Sudoku along or something to pass time in the 'oh look, another shoot em up' scenes. Expand
  50. Jul 12, 2013
    This film is hilarious with over the top action scenes which Quentin pulls off very well of course like in his previous films. Yes, there is racism and controversial material but so what? It's something different which is what I like! anyway, Django Unchained really steers away from clichés. It's definitely a film I'd want to watch again.
  51. Jul 9, 2013
    A wild-bloody, live action cartoon with a homicidal vengeance, a reversal of roles, much like "Inglorious Basterds"; rewriting history if you will, they way Quinten Tarantino sees it, and the way we enjoy it. Quinten takes his blood-spattered historical tent show on the road, putting down stakes in Antebellum Dixieland. Not technically a "Basterds" prequel, "Django" stems from a similar impulse, to reframe and rewrite American history in boldly absurd strokes. "Inglorious Basterds" is an exceptional film, but "Django Unchained" surpasses its predecessor, and then some.

The movie opens in 1858 Texas with the unorthodox purchase of a slave, Django (Jamie Foxx), by a dentist-turned-bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christopher Waltz). Since Schultz doesn't believe in slavery, he soon frees Django and the two become partners in Schultz's business. After a profitable winter, they head to Mississippi where their goal is to locate Django's wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington). When they succeed, they find an excuse to be invited to the plantation where she is being held. There, they are guests of the mansion's master, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), where their act bamboozles everyone except Candie's personal slave, Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson), who smells a rat the moment he sets eyes on Django.

When Tarantino first introduces audiences to the two characters we'll come to embrace and respect, it's while Django (Foxx) is chained up to other slaves as they march slowly in the dark in the middle of nowhere. Dr. Schultz arrives playing the role of a dentist in a scene that's close to being as perfectly written and delivered as Waltz' farmhouse scene from “Basterds,” freeing Django and thus begins a reluctant partnership. What starts as an uneasy alliance in which one side holds all the power, transforms over the course of the movie into one in which the unlikely pair become partners and friends. Delivering this transformation along with character development, Tarantino is at his screenwriting best.

There is not a single misstep by any of the “Unchained” cast. Led by Foxx as a slave-turned-bounty-hunter, and Waltz as a man with more layers than initially revealed, this ensemble is a perfectly cast with everyone at the top of their games. “Django” is an absolute must-see for Tarantino fans, but it's not necessary to be into either Tarantino or just Westerns to be fully entertained. There are many notable cameos: Don Johnson (small part), Jonah Hill, Amber Tamblyn, Bruce Dern, Tom Savini, Robert Carradine, and Franco Nero (who played the lead character in the unrelated 1966 film, Django).

Tarantino is one of the few filmmakers that seamlessly and successfully merges style with substance. He is a creature of cinema, unashamedly standing on the shoulders of greats, forging new meaning out of the universal cultural experiences. That is why as far as I'm concerned “Django Unchained” is one of the best of 2012.
  52. Jul 5, 2013
    I love Quentin Tarantino movies, and this is an excellent one. Amazing acting all around. Characters are memorable and distinct, and as always there is a lot of humor and over-the-top gore and violence. Story is actually pretty good too.
  53. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is brilliant, from the direction of the obviously talented Quentin Tarantino to the acting of such figures of Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Don Johnson, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and, particularly, Christoph Woltz There's a reason this film has won not one but TWO Awards, and it was by far my favorite film of 2012, as well as being one of my favorite films ever. I would change nothing about this film (apart form making it longer), and the only think I pity is that Tarantino killed off all but two major characters, because a sequel or continuation of some kind would have been brilliant. Expand
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    Tarantino finally made a western and oh boy it was worth waiting for! It is great, funny and very entertaining all the way through. Christoph Waltz performance is just so amazing, and the movie is almost 3 hours long and i wanted more.
  55. Jun 28, 2013
    Yep--another bit of Tarantino gold to add to the collection. Love it. Oh, and Christoph Waltz really shines here--again. From the despicably evil Jew Hunter to Dr. Schultz: bigot-hating bounty hunter--he really lives these characters. But then, everyone usually does with Tarantino at the helm. Great stuff.
  56. Jun 20, 2013
    Stylistically original and delightfully controversial, Tarantino brings us a "Southern" picture, with great characters and dialogue throughout the movie. Part western, part epic, and part revenge flick, Django Unchained does not fit into a niche, and that's what I love about it.
  57. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant film. I've never really been a fan of western films but I wanted to see this because Tarantino is one of my favourite directors and the films he makes are just pure entertainment. My expectations were high for this but they were blown out of the water, absolutely loved it. Everything about this film was excellent.

Firstly the cast, absolutely brilliant. Jamie Foxx as Django was a very good choice and I really liked him. Christoph Waltz as Dr King Schultz was another great choice and I find myself wondering why he was never discovered in Hollywood before Inglorious Basterds, well done Tarantino, well done. Leonardo DiCaprio was a brilliant choice to play the psychotic Calvin Candie and lastly, Samuel L Jackson as yet another stand out character as Stephen, Candie's butler. Jackson is absolutely hilarious and provides some comedy gold to the film.

Secondly, the plot is very good, which follows Django, a slave who is released from his owners by Dr Schultz who is actually a bounty hunter who needs Django's help with some jobs, he then agrees to help Django find his wife (played by Kerry Washington).

Thirdly, the film is very dark, and in my opinion rightly so, as Tarantino captures the brutality of slavery very well and doesn't hold back on the violence. I feel he dealt with such a serious and sensitive topic very well in the way it was portrayed. There have been complaints of the excessive use of racial slurs in the film but in my opinion this is how it would have been during the slave trade.

Furthermore, look out for the scene with Big Daddy (Don Johnson) and his workers when they hunt try to kill Django, which includes a short cameo from Jonah Hill. The film is hilarious an is like a Monty Python sketch which is something Tarantino has done very well in his films.

Overall, a fantastic film, and up there with Tarantino's best in my opinion. Very dark at times but has it's hilarious moments and will keep you entertained from start to finish.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Loved Django If I ever have a son, I'm gonna name him Django. I loved the southern grammar they used. It was entertaining to watch everyone get all country on us. Especially Leonardo DiCaprio This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. Excellent job Quentin Tarentino
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie has moments but does not do it. I thought Waltz, Foxx, and Dicaprio did great work but the script was thin and the plot was not done correctly. To be honest the violence and Language is way to much. This film almost felt like a parody and with this type of talent it should not happen. I was expecting a Red Dead Redemption which I thought was extremely well done as a story.

Okay movie
  60. Jun 9, 2013
    This is easily one of the best movies ever made. It has fantastic acting, awesome characters, amazing and hilariously bloody shoot out scenes, an outside the box story, a great script, and a great everything! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Quentin Tarantino has done it again. He is one of the best directors ever and he never disappoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  61. Jun 7, 2013
    Ok, so, I liked it. It ran a little too long for my tastes, but it didn't sour the experience overall. What darkened my score was that the film didn't really "unchain" until near the end of it. Now, when it happens, it's beautiful and awesome, and you look back on the scene with fondness, but it just takes too long to get to that point in an already lengthy picture. I feel that Django himself was an honest character, and your really rooting for him by the end. All of the actors are great. A lot of the violence will have you going "Ohhh, THAT HURT!" but it's not the most inspired part of the film. Overall, it's a good movie. Is it on the level of Pulp Fiction? No. Not really. It's Tarantino trying to drive home a message, and while he succeeds at it, I feel that his best work is elsewhere. It's another Tarantino revenge story with a strong narrative, but I think his source material was a little TOO massive for him this time. It's a very strong 7 still though. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2013
    Action packed film with funny moments and an entertaining story. Really enjoyed it, but can't speak for my other friends who are not that into gory scenes.
  63. Jun 4, 2013
    I can think of very few, if any, directors that have as unique a style as Quentin Tarantino and within 30 seconds of Django Unchained it is immediately clear you are watching one of his movies.

The director’s usual fast paced dialogue, bloody action sequences and ability to successfully mix comedy and drama to create truly memorable scenes are all on show here. Add in exceptional
    performances from a talented cast that includes Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio and deserved Oscar winner Christopher Waltz, as the dentist turned bounty hunter, and you have an example of the filmmaker at his very best.

Non-Tarantino fans need not apply.
  64. Jun 4, 2013
    "Quentin Tarantino has once again proved why he is one of the greatest and most authentic directors making films today, filled with gut-busting violence, Oscar worthy performances and some much comic relief. Django is one of 2012's best movies, by far." A+
  65. May 31, 2013
    What you have to understand about Tarantino is that he WANTS to see how far he can take it. For those of you who are completely ignorant, (A really horrible word) was used like how we said "dude" back in 2007. I am always impressed and a little mortified when I laugh at some of the quotes in the movie. For example, the before the riot was especially hilarious.
    The violence gets old
    though. That is my only complaint however, and i LOVED Dicaprio, Foxx and especially the charasmatic Waltz. Great movie. Expand
  66. May 29, 2013
    Comedy writer Julius Sharpe said on Twitter the other day that he just wanted to 'thank all the people who reviewed "Star Wars" on Netflix. You guys swayed me, I'll check it out.' His point could save us all a whole lot of time. 'Django Unchained' is already a hugely popular movie, and so many, even among those who haven't seen it, are familiar by now with its fairly simple plot. So this time around, I'm only going to point out a few marked ways in which Quentin's seventh film struck me as rather unTarantinian.

'Django', of course, is still very obviously a Tarantino film. But look, for instance, at how the flash-backs are done with quick fades rather than simple cuts, and how they're shot with different filters 'flash-back' filters. This drains them of most of the immediacy of the flash-backs of his other movies. Or, more accurately, they make them actually feel like flash-backs; the equivalents in his other films were effectively just scene transitions. He also uses music rather flamboyantly this time, often using only small parts of songs, and he uses more of it than usual.

The camera is also much more active than in previous films. Look at the often flashy way he films the lengthy scene at Candie's dinner table and compare it to the tavern scene in chapter four of 'Inglourious Basterds'. In that scene, the camera is resolutely static throughout, using simple two-shots, three-shots and close-ups. For my money, this helped to make the scene considerably more immersive and suspenseful than the one at Candie's dinner table.

Compare also the unwavering realism of the nazis and peripheral characters in 'Basterds' with the slave-owners and townsfolk in 'Django', who are frequently exaggerated and played for laughs. For myself, I was a bit disappointed by this decline in realism. I know Tarantino did this to retain the feel of the Spaghetti Westerns he's always loved so much. But one of his greatest strengths has always been his talent for taking lesser genres and accentuating their best elements, while omitting their weaker ones. For most of his movies, this has included maintaining strict realism in the story's environments and supporting characters, but not so much in 'Django"s case.

Because of its content, the story it tells and its central characters and performances, 'Django' is an excellent, classical tale of a film. It has a couple of plot twists that are stunning. I am told that the Samurai sword-fight sequence in 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' is probably the best ever filmed, and I have no doubt that 'Django"s revolver melee is as good a one as we're ever likely to see. But to an extent that surprised me, the movie lacks the definition of the rest of Quentin's films. I think there are three main reasons for this.

First, the story is that of a journey, an adventure, and has a fairly set path its makers must follow. Tarantino's stories usually move wherever and whenever they want to, but in each place they visit, they tend strongly to sit firmly down and stay there a good while. 'Django' is more fluid and, except for Candyland, moves through its locales rather speedily.

The second reason is that after 'Inglourious Basterds', his most restrained and static film yet, I believe Tarantino felt a need to have more fun making his next film, use more music, more comedy (I don't know how long it's been since I've laughed in a theatre as hard as I did when Quentin gets himself blown to smithereens), be more dynamic with his camera, and to finally fully indulge his love of Spaghetti Westerns, a desire which until now he's had to satisfy only in bits and pieces. This is all fine. But I think he set to work with less restraint than was strictly wise this time.

The third reason is that his editor Sally Menke died a year or so before production began on the film. Sally had edited all of Quentin's films and had long been known as his greatest collaborator. I realize now that such a loss does have its effect on a film. And her replacement, though he was an assistant in the editing of the Kill Bill movies, may not have been an ideal choice.

I point these things out because so few critics seem to have talked about them, and because together they work to produce a film with fewer marks of its director's craft and brilliance. Obviously 'Django Unchained' is a very strong and enjoyable film with numerous virtues, which delves fearlessly into a subject that's been so widely and wrongly ignored for so long that it now seems in real danger of being largely unknown to many of us. Consider the nauseating case of Arkansas Representative Jon Hubbard who, in a book published last year, wrote that slavery 'may actually have been a blessing in disguise'.

Quentin spoke with bafflement about the unyielding reluctance of the film industry, and of society at large, to discuss or confront the terrors of thralldom. He said of his movie, 'Let this be the first stone through the window.'
  67. May 29, 2013
    Do not know if Tarantino tried to honor the old westerns or satirize, but did well in their way logical, but what draws the most attention is the movement of the plot by the characters in the early history is focused on Dr.Shultz then undergoes Calvin Candie, and ends in Django, the performances are perfect especially Di Caprio (who has been wronged by not being nominated for an Oscar) and mainly Waltz, who deservedly was awarded, the rest is all you can expect from a movie Tarantino, blood pouring the gallon, many profanities and racist insults (here are acceptable considering the era in which the film is set) and several taken of fun. Expand
  68. May 28, 2013
    Western-style movie shown on the big screen with good results. Di Caprio as always very good and all the cast. Successful film, the beautiful American abimentazione end 800
  69. May 27, 2013
    "The 'D' is silent" as our gunslinging hero continues to remind his victims, Django is on the path of vengeance with the most unorthodox of associates, with bloody, violent but fantastic storytelling from to start to finish, edgy, and brilliant also fit seamlessly into a description of this wonderful film.
    Set in the midst of slavery in the Old West and the Deep South of the United
    States, Django (Jamie Foxx) and a group of slaves are being hoarded across the plain by two brothers, when dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) interrupts proceedings, he frees Django in the hope that he will lead him to another set of brothers who Django and his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) were recently owned by.
    Christoph Waltz brings an energetic and humorous energy to the role that is simply unmatched. Django is cold and collected in the hope of finding his wife, who he finds out is a slave of the talkative and ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). As Django and Schultz set off across the frontier and wade out the winter, Schultz trains Django to become a bounty hunter, he sees it as his duty to free this slave and therefore look after him.
    In typical Quentin Tarantino fashion, Django Unchained is more about pushing the boundaries of cinematic taboo than the simple story that is told. The use of the 'N' word has been the point of deliberation since the films release, but either way, a perfect Spaghetti Western has been moulded with Tarantino at the helm, is use of long dialogue and extended scenes of conversation continue to amaze, especially when the talented Christoph Waltz is involved, lest we forget his fantastic turn as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds,but he truly raises the bar in Django for nobody but himself, is attitude and personality are unmatched, save for possibly Leonardo DiCaprio, who we rarely, if ever, see as the villain, but who shows exactly what he is capable of with the sadistic but charming Candie.
    Jamie Foxx has been perfectly cast as them main man Django, he shows heart but willingness to find his wife by any means possible, and his rise to heroism throughout the film is a perfect test of character that he does brilliantly.
    Tarantino again picks a perfect setting and now has a western hit under his belt, whether its the music, the deep southern accents or the wonderful camera work of gore and glory, he has again created a very deservedly named masterpiece.
  70. May 27, 2013
    Sort of a mix between Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill 1, with the worst aspects of both. It's overlong as with IB, and filled with silly action set pieces as in KB. Very stylish, pretty short on anything else. Leo steals the show; you can't buy any of the other characters or their motivations. People will try to tell you it's a homage to blaxploitation movies or brilliant satire cloaked in b-grade trapping, or any of the normal stuff people say about Tarantino movies. The truth is, it's just a silly movie that lacks the wit of his earliest films. Expand
  71. May 25, 2013
    •This movie will be one of those that will still be blowing new comers minds LONG after a lot of the current CGI laced popular films of today have lost their modern edge.
    •A completely unquestionable cinematic masterpiece.
    •One of the best Tarantino pieces IMO.
    • One of the best western/cowboy movies ever IMO.
  72. May 24, 2013
    The movie was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but still pretty good. Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio truly stole the show, though the faults in the film largely lie in the fact many of the scenes seemed to be random and just thrown together. In addition (this won't ruin the film), when somebody gets shot, it seems to painfully unrealistic. Not only was the blood coming out in unnatural waves, but it was almost action film esque, which was a turn off for me. However, I'm nitpicking. It was still entertaining and well done. Expand
  73. May 23, 2013
    Django Unchained is easily one of the best movies I have seen in really long, everything from the story to the great shooting scenes is incredibly well done. Quentin Tarantino always delivers.
  74. May 22, 2013
    The disappointing moment when I realize that Tarantino sadism served up as style.
    This man loves ultra violence in film.

I've loved his movies up until this one. I think he went too far this time.
  75. May 21, 2013
    Another great work of Quentin Tarantino, great cast, absolutely outstanding acting from Christoph Walts (as a result Emmy and Leo Di Caprio. Interesting plot, but with some flaws in it. Good time overall
  76. May 21, 2013
    This movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson was played a great role as both a joker as well as an evil man. Christopher Waltz was the best part of the film. He did a job that Tarantino was most proud of. It is about time that we have another great western film. This is why I give it a 10/10 Expand
  77. May 20, 2013
    HOLY S**T THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. i love westerns and this movie is so funny and bad*** that it is almost better than pulp fiction. the acting is great, the soundtrack is great, the action is great, EVERYTHING IS GREAT.

This is secretly a 20 but metacritic wont allow it
  78. May 19, 2013
    I saw this movie for one main reason and that would be for Christoph Waltz He was just Amazing in Inglourious Basterds. Yet again he blows away the screen with a captivating performance. The list of actors I can watch and just drool on how great there acting is I can count on one hand and Christoph Waltz would be one of those actors. Jamie Fox who is also very good in this next to Waltz you kind of forget about Fox some times which is kind of a shame because Jamie Fox is no slouch in this and does a fine job. As a western its a pretty damn good one but my biggest problem with it is the music Now normally one of three things happens with music 1. either it blends in to where you don't notice it 2. It pops out wonderfully to make a scene better or 3. It pops out and just does not fit at all. With Django it falls in to number 3. Tarantino uses a lot of 60s and 70s style music which just doesn't feel right at all and just took me out at times going why is he using this kind of music? It just doesn't fit a western at all. Feels like it would belong more in Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction That out of the way the story is good and the acting from the other actors is very solid The movie is well worth seeing Expand
  79. May 18, 2013
    this movie is a Mandingo ripoff which is a movie done in the 1975 but when Quentin Tarantino
    decided to re-circle the story and cash it on the fans well guess what a critically acclaimed movie.
    and it's 2012 for crying out loud why we have movies about racism any more i thought we left that river dry.
    it's not entertaining at all neither can be taking seriously. overall another
    disgusting movie by this stupid director. Expand
  80. May 14, 2013
    When I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revenge western, with its bromcom double act from Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz, is set among the slave plantations of pre-civil war America. It is partly based on the 1960s cult Django westerns starring Franco Nero (who returns in cameo here) and partly on the notorious 1975 exploitation picture Mandingo, but it's distinctive on its own fantastically outrageous terms: an audacious and horribly funny comic-book nightmare. Tarantino, king of the comeback, famously returned John Travolta to the pop-culture frontline for Pulp Fiction and indeed renewed crime writer Eddie Bunker's pulp-fiction stardom by getting him an acting gig as Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. Now Tarantino has made his own comeback, after a recent worrying slump, with his best film since Kill Bill: Vol. 1.It's certainly an awful lot better than the previous film Inglourious Basterds, which I attacked on account of its misfiring spaghetti-Nazi theme and bafflingly dull plot. I should here record that many did not agree with this view, and my previous lavish praise for the great man only seemed to make things worse. Someone online called me a "petulant Taranteenybopper" throwing a strop. Well, possibly.For me, Tarantino had always been the master of a certain type of narcotic euphoria in the cinema, something exquisitely superfluous, something to do with his mastery of surface and style an ability to make you believe in it and see through it at the same time. That ability has gloriously returned. Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is morally comfortable; everyone is a victim or monster. Expand
  81. May 13, 2013
    Quentin is a truly gifted director, he proved it once again with Django, remember, the D is silent! The movie is great, solid humor and blood and gore. Great acting surprisingly by Jamie Foxx, I didn't have too much faith in him with the role but he exceeded my expectations. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio are the ones who shined in this movie, especially when we finally get to see DiCaprio as a villain which doesn't happen too often! The soundtrack was great, solid acting, great humor, and a good story. Expand
  82. May 12, 2013
    As a huge Tarantino fan there was no doubt i was going to watch this movie, plus this is the first western o come out in a long time cowboy's and aliens doesn't count). The characters are fantastic, the timing perfect, and there are scene's you can't help but to feel bad about for laughing at.
    When you have Blood, gore, and violence, you're gonna have a good time. They over do it with
    the blood, and that makes it even better. This movie has created one of my new favorite characters, Dr. Schultz. He is one of the best written characters i have seen in a movie.
    Combine all these thing's together, and you have a great film, this is why it deserves the 10 i gave it.
  83. May 11, 2013
    The genres listed for this film are: Action, Adventure, Drama, Crime, Western. Wrong on adventure and wrong on crime (yes, lots of criminal acts but it's not about crime/solving crime), and it should include: parody and satire. Tarantino definitely has a signature method of directing but it always seems juvenile, never maturing. I recognize alot of people dig his films and that's fine but I can't recommend them for their shallow, excessive violence and shallow caricature characters. Expand
  84. May 4, 2013
    This is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I loved this movie with a passion and had been following it since it was announced in 2011. I think this is the best western since The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, probably even better. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  85. May 4, 2013
    Tarantino's return is another bold, extremely well acted splatter-fest that intrigues the audience as well as keeping them on the edge of their seats. While it's not his best film since Pulp Fiction, as some others say, Django Unchained delivered a realistic atmosphere and crowd pleasing shoot-offs.
  86. Apr 30, 2013
    Django unchained could in my opinion be Tarantino's best movie. It's unrestrained, vicious, and at times very funny. It should have beat Argo for best picture. Just watch it. Unless you can't stand violence in movies. In that case you might not like it, but it's screenplay, acting, and directing are all masterful.
  87. Apr 29, 2013
    Quintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on a complete harmony of the actors and the setting. Rather than the setting making them feel more western, they make the setting more western, and Christoph Waltz accomplishes this the best. He's not even American and he seemed to be a stamp of the time period. The action has that distinct tangy Tarantino spice to it: amazing, but overly messy at the same time. The movie reflects the gruesomeness of the 1850s on slavery, which is the theme that shapes Django (Jamie Foxx) throughout the movie into one of the best protagonists in 2012 cinema. Expand
  88. Apr 29, 2013
    This movie is awash with calculated and beautiful scenes that do not shark away from exposing the horrors of slavery. Christopher Waltz is the obvious, and aside from DiCaprio, the only candidate for best actor. His portrayal of Dr Schultz espouses a similar demeanour to the infamous Hans Landa of Inglorious Bastard- light-hearted, wise and deeply compelling. But in this exhibition, his justice-enforcing character is all the more likeable. Jamie Foxx has been the most discussed fault in this film, a slight injustice given he gives a convincing account of slave-turned-bounty-hunter Django for the first two hours. It was as he slipped into the part of lead male during the closing twenty minutes that his acting shortfalls began to be exposed. The final scenes were typically Tarantino-esque. Whilst some people relish these explosive, chaotic finales, it would have been interesting to leave the viewer guessing and wanting more. Regardless, a mesmerising and utterly enthralling film Expand
  89. Apr 28, 2013
    Tarantino does it again. The man has never made a bad movie and with Django Unchained we get a well written and acted film. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are fabulous, but Christolph Waltz is the stand out here. He and Tarantino are just a perfect combination.
  90. Apr 28, 2013
    Excellent film. The performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson were all fantastic and Jamie Foxx did very well also. The dialogue is captivating and it's great seeing DiCaprio as a villain for a change, as well as seeing Waltz as a hero.
  91. Apr 25, 2013
    One of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of the pre- civil war United States. This movie depicts the reality in a brutally true fashion. It is an unspeakably violent film, both in it's tone and the in the gory violence it displays.

Unforgettable scenes with great performances from the entire cast, especially DiCaprio, who in my personal opinion was slightly superior to the Academy Award Winner Christoph Waltz. This is decisively one of the boldest films ever made, a long, brutal yet satisfying tale of vengeance, friendship and moral values. This film is a clear masterpiece. A future cult classic, with classic Tarantino dialogue and writing, to be quoted over and over again. 10/10
  92. Apr 23, 2013
    Simply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyful masterpiece that celebrates both the folklore this country has embraced and also its cinematic flourishes. Jamie Foxx is as iconic as early Eastwood in the role. And Christophe Waltz is too good for Oscar. Expand
  93. Apr 23, 2013
    What's the excellent revenge, anger ,justice ,and blood What's new .The same old story. The same old acting Just a fairy tale. No imagine ,no case. Lets someone tell me, what's the new element of this movie?
  94. Apr 22, 2013
    Django was awesome! Everybody played their parts extremely well and the acting was fantastic. I enjoyed the story and it was very entertaining. Quentin wasn't afraid to do or say anything in this movie and which made it more genuine to the time frame. The final gun fight is definitely memorable. 2 thumbs up for Django, this is definitely a movie I will add to my collection.
  95. Apr 21, 2013
    Definitely, Taranatino's worst movie to date. Hokey and absurd in many places. Ridiculous violence in others. Come on Quentin, is this supposed to be a comedy or a serious film? And when are you going to stop putting yourself in your movies? I hate to break it to you, buddy, but you just can't act and you always bring the film down to a lower level when you're on-screen. I believe it's gotten to the point where you're believing your own press and feel anything you put out there is going to be accepted as brilliant by your legion of followers....and, unfortunately, based on some of the reviews I have been reading, this still seems to be true. How sad. P. S. I didn't include specifics because I didn't want to spoil the film for those still wanting to see it. Suffice to say, there are way too many holes in this script to be consider anything other than a B-movie by an A screenwriter and director. Expand
  96. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a very entertaining movie throughout. Lot's of violence, but it's a Tarantino flick, you know what you sign up for when watching. Jamie Foxx was very good. He has the charisma and cojones to make you actually believe he could pull off this legend. Overall, however, the movie was very predictable in Tarantino style. It felt like, oh, I already saw this in Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds. It was like a mashup of those movies done over the top with slavery thrown in for extra shock and story value. I was entertained, don't get me wrong, but I wish he did something more original with the movie instead of rehashing old ground. The end scene, also, was horrendously cheesy. I know it was an "Homage" but crikey, that was out of place and bad. Save the western ride off into the sunset worship and make a cut with a worthy ending that befits Jamie Foxx's stellar character performance throughout! It's like QT just stripped all of Jamie's charismatic character and the castration that never happened before in the film somehow managed to occur just before he makes his horse dance in a ridiculous forced tribute scene to appease the director's misguided fantasy ending. Expand
  97. Apr 20, 2013
    I was once a real Tarantino fan. He reinvented old style movies and it was fun and well made. Problem is, that's all he can do (or is wanting to show). His movies got weaker and weaker and even fans could only reply to critic with "It is intentionally bad! It just makes fun of old movies." Same with this one. Most funny thing her is, that very young people are talking like this. People that never have seen an Italian western
    before but now defend this movie as an obeisance, a critical
    examination or an ironic view. It feels just like Tarantino has thrown
    some episodes together and found no way to combine them. Acting is
    really bad (yes yes, it's for sure intentionally bad like everything in
    this movie) except of Jamie Foxx and Leonardo Di Caprio and. Which is
    kind of funny, because normally I can't stand him and like Christoph
    Waltz. But Waltz' character was most times completely overacted like in
    some school play. Tarantions own small role stood out in relation to
    the rest: like a completely talent less actor. Man, do I miss the
    Tarantino of "From Dusk till Dawn" or "Pulp Fiction"...

So: Story is a mess, acting is crap... what is there else to say? Well.
    The music score is a mixture of cinematic themes, pop music and hip
    hop. Does not fit as good as anywhere in the movie. Cutting was a mess
    too. Some cuts where extremely hard and just done badly.

Only cam was quite good, there were some really nice pictures. And the
    overall theme of slavery and how everyone took their side in this dark
    times (yes, even the white "missus" did take their role of shame) let
    me give a 6.

This movie is neither a obeisance to the old Italien western nor is it
    a critical examination nor an ironic view. It's just took some elements
    and mixed them up quite bad. If it really was intentional it does not
    make a better movie. It's like making a gross hamburger to make fun of
    fast food and then expecting people to eat it with pleasure. Which will
    be done by all the Tarantino fans out there. No matter how bad their
    idol cooks, how bad the burger tastes or how messy it looks: they will
    love it because it's made by their idol. For the rest of us: good there
    are much better restaurants our there. Including the old traditional
    Italian Pizzeria where you can get a real "Django" if you want to.
    Without any erupting blood fountains, they are nowhere to be seen in
    this movie from 1966.
  98. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie. Everything is great, especially the soundtrack which is one of my favorites. The only downside to the movie is that the best characters die 3/4 of the way through. Django, the "main" character, doesn't do or say very much. So in the end when he triumphs, it feels a little awkward and not as satisfying as it could. Still, this a movie I will definitely buy soon. It well deserved the Oscars that it won. Expand
  99. Apr 17, 2013
    Best film of 2012. Best acting of 2012. It is a shockingly exciting
  100. Apr 13, 2013
    Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay
    - Excellent acting
    - Good choice of music
    - Great direction by Quentin Tarantino
    Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It is absolutely terrific

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.