6.0

1. Aug 27, 2012
    I have come to expect so much more from Ferrell & Galifianakis. Most of the good gags were in the commercials/trailers. The only scene where I laughed out loud was when Zach's character's family comes clean about their sins. I like the story and the commentary on politics today, but it really was short on laughs.
  2. Oct 26, 2012
    With 2 comedy stars and a very strong supporting cast of experianced comediac actors leading this movie, You would have expected it to be a lot funnier then what it was. Plot was generic and got too corny at the end. I am a bit disapointed with it to be honest.
  3. Nov 4, 2012
    At times, the Campaign is hilarious, utilizing its' stars chemistry to great effect, and at other times, The Campaign stumbles with poor writing and dialogue. The ending was particularly poor, not really tying things together efficiently at all.
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    Going into the theater, I was expecting quite a bit from this film. Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis appeared to be an excellent comedic pair, seeing as they were both incredibly funny actors. I was, unfortunately, let down, as I watched carbon copies of Ferrell
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    I expected a lot from this movie, but the sad truth it was really horrible though so I would not recommend watching it. The writing was horrible, the acting bad and jokes over used.
  6. Aug 12, 2012
    I found this movie to be absolutely hilarious. It's filled with the obvious sex jokes that you'd expect, but the not to subtle digs against the current political climate was spot on. They go after the Koch brothers, campaign finance reform, both Republicans and Democrats... just way funny.
  7. Aug 13, 2012
    This movie could have been so good BUT it really wasn't! Galifinakis was the only funny spot but the really getting very predictable and old Will Ferrel vulgar slapstick never landed. Had so much potential if you could have let the comedy work for itself instead of some need to make it feel like a Saturday Night Live Skit that would never end.
  8. Aug 13, 2012
    This isn't quite "Anchorman", but it does have its share of memorable quotes. Ferrell plays basically what Ricky Bobby would be if he ran for Congress, while Galifinakis is like his "Due Date" character only less mean-spirited. While it could have been more political satire instead of slapstick, it was still pretty funny and a thousand times better than "the Watch".
  9. Aug 21, 2012
    Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Very, very funny. Don't know why there is such a low rating. Definitely worth the $10. I don't post many reviews on this website but for this movie I had to. It's awesome. People with a low intelligence won't really like this movie as much though or find it as funny.
  10. Nov 29, 2012
    Not as good as a lot of other Will Ferrell movies but it's still a very funny movie and watching it after Obama stole yet another election is pretty perfect timing.
  11. Feb 11, 2013
    Those expecting sharp political satire need look elsewhere. The Campaign is a typical Will Ferrell vehicle that greatly benefits from the added presence of Galifianakis. The duo provide ample laughs throughout and there are some really funny scenes and lines such as Brady trying to recite the Lord's Prayer from his aides actions or Brady's assertions that everything seems to be 'thisThose expecting sharp political satire need look elsewhere. The Campaign is a typical Will Ferrell vehicle that greatly benefits from the added presence of Galifianakis. The duo provide ample laughs throughout and there are some really funny scenes and lines such as Brady trying to recite the Lord's Prayer from his aides actions or Brady's assertions that everything seems to be 'this nation's backbone' including 'Phillipino tilt-a-whirl operators'. While the film does laugh, and laugh well, at the expense of mud slinging campaigns, expectations of the electorate of a 'real American' politician including portrait of a majestic eagle in the home and of the lack of genuine political discussion, the writers of the likes of The Thick of It need not lose any sleep. Expand
  12. Sep 13, 2012
    This Isent Anything Special
    But It's A Really Solid Good Movie!
  13. Sep 8, 2012
    When I saw the general "meh" reaction for this movie when it came out, I assumed it'd just be some cheap, half-hearted, desperate political satire flick that'd become dated as soon as the 2012 election ends. Fortunately I was wrong. VERY wrong. Not only is The Campaign hilarious, but it also mocks many problems in the world of big-time politics in a way that's exaggerated, but stillWhen I saw the general "meh" reaction for this movie when it came out, I assumed it'd just be some cheap, half-hearted, desperate political satire flick that'd become dated as soon as the 2012 election ends. Fortunately I was wrong. VERY wrong. Not only is The Campaign hilarious, but it also mocks many problems in the world of big-time politics in a way that's exaggerated, but still pretty accurate. Now I'll go a little more in depth. First of all this movie was casted pretty much perfectly. Will Ferrell of course is very experienced in the world of political satire, mainly thanks to his many years on SNL, and does an equally great job as Cam Brady, the incumbent, an egotistical jerk who has succumbed to all the temptations of political fame and knows how to give the people what they want in the most shallow yet effective way possible. You can tell that his performance is drawn slightly from a combination of his George W. Bush impression on SNL and Ron Burgandy in Anchorman, but it's more of a similar overall vibe than a blatant copy. Zach Galifinakis also does a great job as Marty Huggins, the newcoming candidate, a timid family man whose motivations are much more authentic and noble, but soon succumbs to some of said temptations later in the movie, albeit with regret. Other notable performances include Dylan McDermott as Tim Watley, Huggins' shady campaign manager, and Karen Maruyama as Mrs. Yao, Huggins' father's housekeeper who provides some of the most unexpectedly funny lines in the whole movie. One thing to note about The Campaign is that most of the comedy isn't exactly high class stuff, but it's done in the most hilarious way possible. Case in point: the Huggles' "family dinner confessions" scene, which I just wanted to go on as long as possible. And of course the political satire is spot-on, tackling all kinds of evil or just plain stupid things that have sadly become commonplace in big-time politics without coming off as preachy or predictable. Most jokes had me cracking up; even the ones that were targeted directly at conservative Republicans such as myself. And that's when you know it's really good. In fact, no matter how raunchy/overall insane this gets, the odd/somewhat scary thing is that it's usually not too far with what really happens, but with a little more silliness involved. Another interesting thing to note is that instead of making the characters one-dimensional personality cut-outs, which they easily could've done, each character has their own personal struggles, such as Brady's realization of how detached he is from his son and Huggins pretty much having to make a choice between his wife's respect & political victory. And these sub-plots are actually resolved by the end of the movie, even though the writers could've just put them in for one scene in the middle and never brought it up again. Also, these sub-plots manage to bring some realism into the world of exaggeration that some of this movie presents, which ultimately lead to the movie's ending, which is centered all around honesty and how important it can really be in the long run. In conclusion, don't take the lukewarm scores too seriously, since this is a fantastic piece of political satire that I'm sure will still be poignant & relevant to the crazily messed up world of politics for years to come. Expand
  14. Aug 18, 2012
    I went and saw this with about 20 friends tonight and we all laughed we are still quoting it. Only go with a group of people who will not only understand the sex jokes but the cracks at Americas political system.
  15. Nov 25, 2012
    A hilarious movie about modern politics and politicians, sometimes the actions of main characters were too grotesque, but still the problems observed in this movie are common to all the people all over the world (not only The USA).
  16. Sep 8, 2012
    Check out this review of The Campaign: I wasn't very kind to the film because I just didn't like it. http://mostrecentlywatched.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/thecampaign
  17. Nov 2, 2012
    What do you get when you mix two of the greatest comedians and a joke on politics? Well, you get the funniest and crudest movie to make fun of politicians. This movie, is great with all it's raunchy, dirty, and crude humour. The only let down of this movie, is it offers no real character depth, and it's not a spectacle. But, that's all right. What this movie does right is the humor, andWhat do you get when you mix two of the greatest comedians and a joke on politics? Well, you get the funniest and crudest movie to make fun of politicians. This movie, is great with all it's raunchy, dirty, and crude humour. The only let down of this movie, is it offers no real character depth, and it's not a spectacle. But, that's all right. What this movie does right is the humor, and blending two amazing comedians and actors together to make one enjoyable funny romp! Expand
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie is hilarious. Hands down one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. They took advantage of the political theme of this movie and got some golden jokes out of it. 5/5!
  19. Aug 14, 2012
    Will Ferrell plays the arrogant incumbent NC Congressman, who's challenged by prissy, inept Zach Galifianakis. Thus begins the crazy, cutthroat battle with lots of absurd situations. The comedy is sometimes clever and amusing, while some of the jokes fall flat. Director Jay Roach, who's comfortable in this wacky world, manages to keep the energy up and push enough outrageous buttons.Will Ferrell plays the arrogant incumbent NC Congressman, who's challenged by prissy, inept Zach Galifianakis. Thus begins the crazy, cutthroat battle with lots of absurd situations. The comedy is sometimes clever and amusing, while some of the jokes fall flat. Director Jay Roach, who's comfortable in this wacky world, manages to keep the energy up and push enough outrageous buttons. Ferrell is predictably comical, while Galifianakis is more inventive and fun. This may not be as original or funny as some of the other films by this team, but there's plenty in this political satire to entertain. Expand
  20. Dec 5, 2012
    A funny movie, but it's the jokes about what's actually going on in politics nowadays that keep the movie fresh, and without them it would just be another run of the mill comedy. That's the main problem with this movie is that it relies on the same dirty humor that every other comedy has. But like I said the not at all subtle cracks on politics keeep this movie enjoyable.
  21. Aug 19, 2012
    I wouldn't take my parents to see this movie! I just wonder what kind of parents would let their kids be in this movie? It's downright raunchy. It has some funny parts and the ending did have a semi-good quality about it and it's too bad that we don't have politicians that would give up the power and let someone take over that might do some good. It's a DVD rental. Don't go spend your hardI wouldn't take my parents to see this movie! I just wonder what kind of parents would let their kids be in this movie? It's downright raunchy. It has some funny parts and the ending did have a semi-good quality about it and it's too bad that we don't have politicians that would give up the power and let someone take over that might do some good. It's a DVD rental. Don't go spend your hard earned money on this flick! Expand
  22. Jun 4, 2013
    If you've ever seen a Will Ferrell comedy you’ll know exactly what type of humour to expect from The Campaign. Despite a very funny performance from Zach Galifianakis however it never really comes close to reaching the highs of Ferrell’s better movies and so, while it certainly makes for a watchable hour and a half, this won’t be one I’ll be watching more than once.
  23. Aug 16, 2012
    Will Ferrel is usually hit or miss for me, but he was definitely funny in this one. Zach Galifinakis is usually hilarious and he was his usual self in the campaign, goofy, dumb, and strange yet hilarious. The Campaign is certainly not a perfect film but is it enjoyable? yes. Is it hilarious? Yeah a big majority of the time. Does it have its flaws? Certainly but not too many. The CampaignWill Ferrel is usually hit or miss for me, but he was definitely funny in this one. Zach Galifinakis is usually hilarious and he was his usual self in the campaign, goofy, dumb, and strange yet hilarious. The Campaign is certainly not a perfect film but is it enjoyable? yes. Is it hilarious? Yeah a big majority of the time. Does it have its flaws? Certainly but not too many. The Campaign got a little dull and boring at times but before you know it, it picked right back up. Zach and Will definitely make a great combo and like tropicAces said, Will Ferrels character is very similar to Ricky Bobby in Talledega Nights, except running for congress, and Zachs character is like due date except a little more normal yet not normal, if that makes sense haha. Anyways, the campaign is certainly a good watch if you enjoy a crude laugh out loud comedy, if you don't like crude then you most likely won't enjoy this, and this is certainly not a film for little kids either. The Campaign was funny, a little dull at times, yet it always picks itself backup. Definitely give this a watch (if you can handle crude jokes that is). 6.5/10 Collapse
  24. Aug 14, 2012
    Not all the jokes succeed and the end tries to make itself to important, but the rest of this film is good funny satire with plenty of references to past campaigns. It makes for an all right time at the movies.
  25. Oct 20, 2012
    The Campaign follows a race for a North Carolina congressional district between incumbent Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) and newcomer Marty Huggins (Zach Galifinakis) and in most ways its very similar to another Gary Sanchez production, The Other Guys. Much like The Other Guys, The Campaign is a wildly absurd take on a much needed system. In The Other Guys it was the police force. In TheThe Campaign follows a race for a North Carolina congressional district between incumbent Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) and newcomer Marty Huggins (Zach Galifinakis) and in most ways its very similar to another Gary Sanchez production, The Other Guys. Much like The Other Guys, The Campaign is a wildly absurd take on a much needed system. In The Other Guys it was the police force. In The Campaign its local politics. However unlike The Other Guys, The Campaign tries much too hard getting its audience to laugh as it resorts to played out scenarios like adultery and swearing rants (although they are slightly elevated in quality due to Will Ferrell's ability as a performer). The Campaign has many good singular gags, a few touching moments and some actual character but its mostly drowned out by an its downfalls. Many of the jokes fail to land and Zach Galifinakis' Marty Huggins may be one of the most annoying movie characters around. It's a film that tries desperately to be liked and never really strives to be original and because of that it is more irritating than entertaining Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    Want to know the truth about this movie? Well, only a small amount of it is actually real politics. Its actually a decent scripted comedy that pokes at corrupted politics and makes good laughs out of it. It has a few scenes that fall flat, but overall its a funny comedy that offends many.
  27. Jan 1, 2013
    Funny satire about American Politics, starring Will Ferrel and Zach Galifianakis. Of course, it contains lots of toilet humor, but both leads are so energetic and has such a great chemistry that you can't help but laugh. Some gags such as the 'Punching Baby gag' could have been stupid, but in here, it's hilarious. Check it out!
  28. Mar 27, 2013
    There are plenty of silly but crude laughs in The Campaign to make it a decent attempt at seeing a funnier side of the election year, but it falls into many traps that make it stopped it from being so much better.
    Will Ferrell stars as Cam Brady, an undefeated and unchallenged Congressman, but after leaving an explicit voicemail, he finally faces competition in the form of Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis), a simple-minded yet friendly tour guide, who is strategically placed by the corrupt Motch brothers, who are played and underused greatly by John Lithgow and Dan Aykroyd.
    The funnier moments are at the beginning of the film, the best part of the film has to be when Marty's family decides to let slip secrets to Marty by his request in case it ruins his election, the answers are crude, but are side-splittingly funny.
    What the ongoing problem was in the film was its corrupt sub-plot, something this film could have done without entirely, as it had its own standing stone and little jabs at the current system that would have made the film better.
    The two leads are on fine form though, Galifianakis in particular, who has created a very different sort of character, but Ferrell's character seems too toned down for the actor, whose ridiculous yet quite ingenious turn in Step Brothers was in a better good tone.
    Dylan McDermott also makes quite a comedic turn as the corrupt campaign manger, trying to spruce up and bring Huggins away from his current personality and making him compete and challenge Brady on a verbal and marketing scale.
    The big flaw in the film was that it never lets these two leads free, why couldn't they properly trash talk to each other, improvised and unhinged, instead we get a predictable plot with very little to laugh at after the first 30 mins. While there are a few gags throughout the entire film, they just seem too bland for these actors to put across.
    But ultimately, this is a decent attempt to poke fun at the current political climate by bringing in two powerhouse comedy actors and letting them have at it, its just a shame that it wasn't consistent.
  29. Aug 27, 2012
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment. Zach Galifianakis at no point in the movie was funny. Will Ferrell carried this movie to the end. This movie had great potential to be hilarious. I have to admit that there were some points in the movie that were funny but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who had a low sense of humor and doesn't enjoy potty mouth language. I would notI have to say that this movie was a disappointment. Zach Galifianakis at no point in the movie was funny. Will Ferrell carried this movie to the end. This movie had great potential to be hilarious. I have to admit that there were some points in the movie that were funny but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who had a low sense of humor and doesn't enjoy potty mouth language. I would not see this movie again. I'm not even sure if it was worth seeing one time. Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2013
    I absolutely hate Will Ferrell, but I love Zach Galifianakis, even still, the Campaign is not usually the type of movie I would watch, so why did I? What put this film over the top and on to my radar, was it's Director, Jay Roach. He may not have name recognition, but when the man who Directed the Austin Powers and Meet The Parents trilogies releases a new comedy, I for one take notice.I absolutely hate Will Ferrell, but I love Zach Galifianakis, even still, the Campaign is not usually the type of movie I would watch, so why did I? What put this film over the top and on to my radar, was it's Director, Jay Roach. He may not have name recognition, but when the man who Directed the Austin Powers and Meet The Parents trilogies releases a new comedy, I for one take notice. The Campaign is also different from most Ferrell movies, being that it has a storyline, and he is a co-star, lessening the chances of him running off on some insane hallucination. Ferrell plays four term Congressman, Cam Brady, a wildly popular brown nose, who is hated by the opposing party. He's about to get a fifth term, unopposed, when a group of millionaires decide to fiance a campaign against him, featuring the son of a legend in Washington. There's one problem though, this man's son, is a complete idiot. As the campaign rages it's the veteran politician against his haters money and both sides will go to any and all lengths to win. This movie was a million times better than I thought it would be and absolutely hysterical. The writers take the idea of a dirty campaign and bring it to the extreme, with some things that have to be seen to be believed. Zach Galifianakis doesn't disappoint, giving us perhaps his best character since Alan in the Hangover, and to give credit where credit is due, yes, Will Ferrell matched him line for line, in what was the only thing I've liked him in since Elf. The film is further supported by some comedic legends in bit parts, making it a terrific, well-rounded comedy, that uses multiple styles to achieve it's goal of having the audience in hysterics. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Simon Braund
    Sep 24, 2012
    The Campaign gets by on its stars' comic compatibility and a relentless stream of jokes, many of which are laugh-out-loud funny. The only real downer is the ending, which feels tacked on like a hanging chad.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 1, 2012
    Although only slightly more outrageous than reality, The Campaign is a funny, pacy peek behind the political curtain.
    Roach is too stiff a director to give Ferrell room to romp. Bits like the one in which he's challenged to recite "The Lord's Prayer" needed extra zigs and zags instead of variations on the same joke. A looser director like Adam McKay (Step Brothers) might have created a happier climate for improv.