7.3

1. Mar 24, 2014
    Often witty, interesting and occasionally insightful I think this film is rather underrated. Its a unique and original way of looking at mythology and religion, and the characters are (for the most part) well thought out and written. There are perhaps a few too many pointless and dumb jokes, for example the excremental, and the end left me feeling just a little unfulfilled but none the less it is definitely worth watching. The acting is excellent, the best I've ever seen from Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Alan Rickman plays his part amazingly and in fact from all these actors we see brilliant performances and even a few surprisingly moving moments. This reveals that perhaps film had more potential, and I think with a few edits it could have been a real master piece. Overall a great film falling just a little off its potential, but still with many fantastic moments. Well worth watching. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    A pretty funny movie and one I would recommend to anyone who likes Kevin Smiths movies (although it is one I would think most Smith fans have seen by now). A great premise done very well. My only two real problems with this movie is the whole part with the excrimental, which was more just dumb and not so funny and I am a fan Kevin Smith and Jay and Silent Bob but there are times I find Jay very annoying but that mainly depends on my mood I think. Expand
  3. Dec 31, 2012
    A hilarious and stupid movie! I didnt think it was possible to make a 'religious' movie so funny! But it was a terrible story line in general. Another great movie by Affleck and Silent Bob :P
  4. Dec 21, 2012
    Excremental aside this is a really good movie. Interesting premise and fine comedic performances from the usual View Askewniverse cast. Simply a good time.
  5. Jul 31, 2012
    Dogma was about 2 hours long but it felt like 3 1/2 hours long. The jokes weren't funny any if their were any religious message or questing in the film, it was lost due to the fact that this movie just sucks. Don't waste your time watching this movie.
  6. Sep 7, 2011
    My third favorite movie of all time. It's a refreshingly intelligent comedy that makes fun of religion without any atheistic agenda. I'm a Christian, and I didn't find this movie offensive at all (which actually suprised me). If your a Catholic on the other hand...watch with caution.
  7. Mar 23, 2011
    As soon as I saw Ben Affleck appear, and that was after about 180 seconds, I knew this movie would suck the life out of you. The opening scene is like a cheap home video made by kids. The second scene is a priest presenting a ridiculous statue of Jesus to a small group of reporters. Did noone ever tell the filmmakers that crowd scenes are either to be large, or to be avoided at all costs, because otherwise they look cheap ? Anyway, we know Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are friends, but Matt's career took off, while Ben's did not.
    Another one for the bin of worst movies of all time. How bad can they get ? Unbelievable.
  8. Feb 23, 2011
    any one looking at this other then entertainment and trying to blast it as bibleical blaspamy is missing the whoel point of what this is . just a entertaining movie . has a great cast some funny lines and i think some of smiths best work.
  9. Oct 23, 2010
    An interesting take on religion to say the least. Probably not the most popular movie in Christian circles, Dogma produces an everyday subject matter in a original way. The movie did go on slightly too long but I did enjoy seeing a bit of Alan Rickman.

For a while, the film is screamingly funny, but the further it goes, the more muddled the narrative becomes.
  2. Wildly irreverent fantasy.
  3. A raucous, profane but surprisingly endearing piece of work.