7.8

1. Mar 23, 2011
    I get it, it's a metaphor! Lasted thirty minutes hoping to see where it was headed and finalIy gave in to the inner voice yelling "who cares?" Intellectuals will love it, pragmatic realists won't.
  2. POV
    Apr 3, 2011
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different? Dogtooth is interesting because its different. Lanthimos created a unique experiment-tale that is based on a very interesting thought ( what you see is what you are, your environment defines not only your identity, but your choice of words, and what you think they each symbolize, can really mess with your mind). Yes, but beside the 'different' angles, the pastel colors evoking a balmy Greek breeze that chills your spine while watching the surreal and thriller-esque story about a family, what is the point? what is the conflict? It makes me ask, why has there not been one single Greek movie, after Zorbas the Greek, that is merely a good story, well told? Watch to think. Collapse
  3. Jun 9, 2011
    I love disturbing movies, independent movies, foreign movies--I thought this film was tailor made for me. However, by the end, the gratuitous violence, repeated crassness, and shock after shock after shock had worn me down completely. This is a movie with great potential and an excellent premise, and several scenes are very well done. But the movie is so obsessed with being Disturbing (capital D) and Shocking that it feels like you are being repeatedly hit over the head with a sledgehammer. Exhausting! This film is not funny, or entertaining--it is hard work. I much preferred Haneke's Funny Games and even von Trier's Antichrist (though the last also grew monotonous and difficult to watch, I felt it had more artistic merit, and frankly I was less bored). Expand

Lanthumos's accomplished and fascinating Dogtooth pushes the notion of parents screwing up their kids into seriously disturbing and darkly comic terrain.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Olsen
    Jan 6, 2011
    Though its elusive character is undoubtedly part of its strength, Dogtooth ends up feeling somehow like a dodge and a sidestep. As a film, it's pure and singular, but it's not quite fully formed enough to be what one could call truly visionary.
  3. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    As harrowing as it is humorous, Giorgos Lanthimos' award-winning journey to a family's heart of darkness is unflinchingly detailed, thought-provoking fare.