7.9

1. Dec 20, 2010
    Dogville is one of the most haunting films I have seen. It stays with your for a long time and makes you question the very nature of humanity. With one of the most impressive acting ensembles, especially in regard to Nicole Kidman, Dogville shows the inhuman side of humanity. Also, being part of Lars von Trier's dogma ideology it is highly minimalist and experimental. If for anything else,Dogville is one of the most haunting films I have seen. It stays with your for a long time and makes you question the very nature of humanity. With one of the most impressive acting ensembles, especially in regard to Nicole Kidman, Dogville shows the inhuman side of humanity. Also, being part of Lars von Trier's dogma ideology it is highly minimalist and experimental. If for anything else, it should be watched for its strange visual technique and performances. Very good film, overall. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    Beautiful and inventive. Philosophical and thought-provoking.
    Ugly and dull. Boring and mind-numbing.
    Beautiful and inventive. Philosophical and thought-provoking.
    Ugly and dull. Boring and mind-numbing.
    Both equally justified responses to Lars von Trier's experimental drama Dogville. As the wonderful Bjork once said, you don't know anything until you've tasted all the sweets at the sweet shop. Go ahead and watch it. Sure, you may turn it off after the first 15 minutes, you may find the rape scenes overboard and you may find it pompous, but you also might, like me, think it is a fabulous portrayal of human behaviour and a brilliantly made film. Just, like the protagonist Grace, take a chance on Dogville. You may love yourself for it.
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    Lars von Trier once again returns to his obsession with the idea of the victim and avant-garde style, but this time around the lead actress (Nicole Kidman) is apt for the part, giving a perfect duality between the "damsel in distress" and "femme fatale," and the absence of a set isn't ever detracting, but just sort of fun (at least to me - more traditional-minded critics were probablyLars von Trier once again returns to his obsession with the idea of the victim and avant-garde style, but this time around the lead actress (Nicole Kidman) is apt for the part, giving a perfect duality between the "damsel in distress" and "femme fatale," and the absence of a set isn't ever detracting, but just sort of fun (at least to me - more traditional-minded critics were probably crying out in disgust...) Also, rather than simply forcing emotion, von Trier uses his extremism to finish with a question of morality, which presents a harrowing view of humanity and a reconsideration of how we function as a society. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2012
    I know this is not a movie that will appeal to everybody, but I personally think this movie is one of the best ones I have since the last decade! NIcole Kidman's performance is oustanding! This is an inventive, original movie that challenges order, and questions humans 'good faith'. A masterpiece. I cant describe it...you have to see it!
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    Inexplicably fine film. A monumental ideological concept elaborated with calligraphic punctuality. Dogville established Lars von Trier as one of my favorite filmmakers of all time.
  6. Dec 15, 2013
    A huge impact on me from this movie. There is almost no decor/scenery in this movie, and all you see is a great cast and story. The movie is almost 3 hours long and in the end the main question is solved, but you still have an aftertaste from this. All of this is about the human nature. I really liked the meaning of the movie. But I won't recommend this to everyone. Still the movie is veryA huge impact on me from this movie. There is almost no decor/scenery in this movie, and all you see is a great cast and story. The movie is almost 3 hours long and in the end the main question is solved, but you still have an aftertaste from this. All of this is about the human nature. I really liked the meaning of the movie. But I won't recommend this to everyone. Still the movie is very unusual. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2013
    A very strong, heavy perspective about humanity. In my opinion this is the best movie Trier has directed so far. Nicole Kidman fits in her role perfectly. The visual look of this movie makes it complete. Masterpiece.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    Dogville is a bold film, is something i recognize. I really liked the way this movie breaks some hollywood cliches on the scenes and also on the trama of the movie. Lars Von Trier always tries to explain his filosophy in his movies. It's funny americans are not ready for this kind of movies. This movie shows the filosophy about human nature in a very artistic way.

What Lars von Trier has achieved is avant-gardism for idiots. From beginning to end, Dogville is obtuse and dislikable, a whimsical joke wearing cement shoes. [29 March 2004, p. 103]
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Morrison
    Argue that von Trier’s latest is theatre and not cinema. But at least acknowledge that Dogville, in a didactic and politicised stage tradition, is a great play that shows a deep understanding of human beings as they really are.
  3. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    If Dogville has a reason for importance, it is the astonishing all-star ensemble who try very hard to put life into their cardboard characters and make this silly film work.