8.5

1. FrankS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    My favorite movie of all time. I saw it for the first time when I was 20 and it changed my life. I had never identified with a film character like this before, and doubt that I ever will. I think you owe it to yourself to experience this movie. Uniquely American and flawlessly executed.
  2. JoeS
    Mar 27, 2005
    It's not a freaking sci-fi movie, nerds.
  3. CharleneJ
    Sep 5, 2004
    Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of all time, a movie with an interesting story that left me chewing on it for weeks afterwards (and raiding Donnie Darko websites, and chatrooms, the DVD extras, etc.) to figure out its meaning. I still think it is a brilliant movie, and some additions are welcome. For example, for the uninitiated, the "philosophy of time travel" pages are helpful Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of all time, a movie with an interesting story that left me chewing on it for weeks afterwards (and raiding Donnie Darko websites, and chatrooms, the DVD extras, etc.) to figure out its meaning. I still think it is a brilliant movie, and some additions are welcome. For example, for the uninitiated, the "philosophy of time travel" pages are helpful in understanding the plot. However, some of the "additions" didn't serve the movie, or even feel appropriate. For example, whenever Donnie has an "episode," they now show an eyeball (which is fine), but also some computer code??? Firstly, a computer doesn't have anything to do with what is happening in the movie, but if you want to be literal, there weren't even any computers in mass usage in the 80s! Also, towards the end of the movie, a new grid "effect" obscures an important part of the movie. Of course, the director could have decided that the original way this scene was presented gave a different meaning to what he intended and he now intends to obscure THAT. I don't know. Regardless, i still urge everyone to see this movie if you want something for your brain to wrap around, instead of the usual fluff. Expand
  4. StevenS.
    Mar 20, 2005
    The Graduate for the 9/11 generation. You will appreciate it more after your second viewing.
  5. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Perspective altering. An instant classic. Richard Kelly is setting a new standard in filmmaking that most modern filmmakers won't be able to compete with. See this movie becuase of the actors, the acting, the plot, the screenplay, the music, the content... Just see this movie!
  6. DavidC.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Fantastic film. One of the most original, best new films in years.
  7. RitaP.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Perfect 10, this film cannot be faulted. The pressure is on Richard Kelly to reproduce the genius thats so evident in Donnie Darko, maybe that's why he hasn't released anything since.
  8. Smally
    Feb 4, 2006
    liked it alot both its inner perspective and outer spective views on reality and life, also the wake up part clearly was reference to the kundalini awakening, donnie suffers trauma then his kundalini wakes up, he also predicts his own death as a result of this sudden out pour of energy within the body.
  9. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Unparalled in every dimension. What Donnie Darko, both the original and the director's cut, has done that has served to make it such a cult phenomenon, is give the viewer a completely different world to live and think in. A world that's so wonderfully sculpted and detailed that one can reason and debate within the confines of a completely different world, with entirely new and Unparalled in every dimension. What Donnie Darko, both the original and the director's cut, has done that has served to make it such a cult phenomenon, is give the viewer a completely different world to live and think in. A world that's so wonderfully sculpted and detailed that one can reason and debate within the confines of a completely different world, with entirely new and different 'laws' and physics, and do so confidently because it is so complete and fleshed out it might have been real. It offers you the chance to be the expert in something else, and somewhere else to inhabit in your mind for however long you choose. I think it's this same element that helped with the success of Harry Potter and Friends- taking escapism a level further, and putting you almost literally into another dimension. It's not an easy movie to watch- repeat viewings are almost always called for, if not desired, and serve to make this more than just a story being told. What the director's cut offers, is a new perspective on certain elements of the story- pretty much giving you more insight into the director's own interpretation of it. Here technology plays a much more vital part, and in the commentary he reveals that there might be someone in the future who is manipulating the events, the tangent universe and even the secondary characters to help Donnie reach the conclusion needed for the world to continue. Granted, even the extra footage doesn't make this explicitly clear, but I think the commentary is actually more useful than just the additional footage on this one. Expand
  10. DougE.
    Apr 9, 2009
    Any film that demands multiple viewings (not just to get at the nooks and crannies of the plot, but also to fully realize its emotional depth) gets a 10 in my book. Initially frightening and disorienting, upon subsequent viewings, Donnie Darko hits a surprising emotional pitch. Watch the director's cut first, and then I suggest taking in the original theatrical version for its Any film that demands multiple viewings (not just to get at the nooks and crannies of the plot, but also to fully realize its emotional depth) gets a 10 in my book. Initially frightening and disorienting, upon subsequent viewings, Donnie Darko hits a surprising emotional pitch. Watch the director's cut first, and then I suggest taking in the original theatrical version for its tightness and pacing. Expand
  11. AmberH
    Feb 9, 2010
    A truly amazing movie, a modern day version of The Last Temptation of Christ, which coincidental the movie references itself. What baffles me though is how the director's cut, honestly the inferior version in my opinion, is rated so much higher on this site. The director's cut goes as far flat out telling "this is EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING" without letting the viewer make sense A truly amazing movie, a modern day version of The Last Temptation of Christ, which coincidental the movie references itself. What baffles me though is how the director's cut, honestly the inferior version in my opinion, is rated so much higher on this site. The director's cut goes as far flat out telling "this is EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING" without letting the viewer make sense of it all, which is part of the appeal. Expand
  12. OptimusPrime
    Oct 15, 2004
    A modern classic by a true auteur. And to think Jake had previously made MTV fodder like Bubble Boy!
  13. DanaD.
    Oct 2, 2004
    The best comic-book movie I have ever seen.
  14. Steve-OA.
    Oct 3, 2004
    By far, this is the best movie I've seen Jake Gyllenhaal in. The acting was especially well done, a great sci-fi flick. This was a comic book?!
  15. Regis
    Sep 27, 2004
    Excellent!
  16. jon
    Oct 12, 2005
    One of the best movies i've ever seen, it actually makes you think.
  17. Brittany
    Apr 20, 2005
    One of few movies that the critics like that is actually great. A must see.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Probably one of the best movies I have seen.
  19. Kellie
    Oct 20, 2004
    This is such a twisted, captivating and alaround stimulating film! The acting is amazing and the plot is original! It just never gets old!
  20. SharonZ.
    Oct 4, 2004
    One of the best movies from any genre. Brilliant in every aspect.
  21. JoeB
    Nov 23, 2005
    Donnie Darko is, I think, a rather underrated and often unconsidered science fiction film. With its several interpretations, it really makes one think. The acting is also superb.
  22. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    Donnie Darko's Directors Cut builds off the theatrical version by a lot with character development and a few loose ends with plot. If you decide to take a dive in the moody, thought-provoking Donnie Darko waters, you might as well dive in the 133 minute director's cut version.
  23. Nov 2, 2010
    This movie talked to me, and I know it talks to a lot of people, specially young people. This movie had such an impact on me it impressed me and I still think about it and how it made me feel. I want to watch it constantly but I refrain myself so that every time I do watch it it remains a memorable experience.
  24. GrayE.
    Oct 24, 2004
    The greatest movie of all!!
  25. YvanG.
    Nov 2, 2005
    While this movie, as a science fiction, is not quite as good as Solaris and 2001: A Space Odyssey, as Michael S. was so hostile to express, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut works best as a brooding, but sometimes humorous, drama. In my opinion, the movie is not so much about parallel universes, and such, as it is about a young man's sexual feelings towards his older sister. Hard While this movie, as a science fiction, is not quite as good as Solaris and 2001: A Space Odyssey, as Michael S. was so hostile to express, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut works best as a brooding, but sometimes humorous, drama. In my opinion, the movie is not so much about parallel universes, and such, as it is about a young man's sexual feelings towards his older sister. Hard to see but the evidence is there. Expand
  26. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    Perhaps the ultimate example of how to tell such an original and bizzare story, Donnie Darko presents some wild and astonishing ideas, and cleverly masks them by masquerading as a film of teen frustration. The film is packed with moments that will make you think for months afterwards, but it is not the individual scenes that shine, rather the whole idea of the film itself. It scatters Perhaps the ultimate example of how to tell such an original and bizzare story, Donnie Darko presents some wild and astonishing ideas, and cleverly masks them by masquerading as a film of teen frustration. The film is packed with moments that will make you think for months afterwards, but it is not the individual scenes that shine, rather the whole idea of the film itself. It scatters ideas that come from every direction while threading a somewhat coherent story and some fascinating propistions throughout it. Donnie Darko is a hard film to describe and while not perfect is an absolute must see. Expand
  27. DawS.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Whether or not you prefer the original or the director's cut depends largely on whether you like your sci-fi to be a little ambiguous and not too literal, or whether you prefer it to be unshamedly speculative. It's possible to make a "psychological" interpretation of the original, but the director's cut leaves no doubt that this is a sci-fi film - essentially about time Whether or not you prefer the original or the director's cut depends largely on whether you like your sci-fi to be a little ambiguous and not too literal, or whether you prefer it to be unshamedly speculative. It's possible to make a "psychological" interpretation of the original, but the director's cut leaves no doubt that this is a sci-fi film - essentially about time travel. This is a masterpiece. Expand
  28. MollyP
    Oct 1, 2004
    This is a fantastic movie and I was glad I got a chance to see it in the theaters! I think the intial release without the added footage was better, it was a little more mysterious, allowing you to form your own conclusion about the movie. Still all in all this is a fantastic movie, you shouldn't miss, one of my all time favorites!!
  29. WillJ.
    Aug 27, 2004
    Truly one of the most remarkable films I have ever seen. It cuts right to the core. I felt every emotion imaginable while watching and was still left wanting more. A challenging and breathtaking film.
  30. MichaelR.
    Sep 11, 2004
    One of the most interesting movies I've seen in a long time.
  31. JustinB
    Sep 16, 2004
    OK all i got to say is WOW. WOW WOW WOW...my favourite movie this year has got to be DONNIE DARKO! It makes you think of yourself, your life and your beleifs. It makes you feel his feelings and relate it to you and your life...well thats they way i felt. Overall its the most awsome and "wicked" and GREAT movie i have seen in my life! GO SEE IT (From Australia).
  32. WalterE.
    Sep 9, 2004
    FINALLY! It must be hugely gratifying to Richard Kelly that his movie is being given a second chance. Astoundingly, this only grossed $500,000 on its initial release, just weeks after 9/11. I will always associate this movie with that time. An airplane engine falls out of the sky with no explanation, leading up to this question: given the opportunity, would you sacrifice yourself so that FINALLY! It must be hugely gratifying to Richard Kelly that his movie is being given a second chance. Astoundingly, this only grossed $500,000 on its initial release, just weeks after 9/11. I will always associate this movie with that time. An airplane engine falls out of the sky with no explanation, leading up to this question: given the opportunity, would you sacrifice yourself so that those you love who are doomed to die could live? No other film was asking this at the time. And the genius touch of "Frank" the rabbit is highly admirable. Over time, I think Frank will become a beloved cult-movie icon, like Eraserhead. It's much to Kelly's credit that when his identity is unveiled in the riveting movie theater scene, it's actually more creepy and disturbing, not less. Bravo! Expand
  33. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Great movie, one of the few movies that I didnt expect to be so good! The movie gets your attention and holds it till the very end.
  34. ArmandoS.
    Feb 28, 2005
    One of the most imaginative films i have seen in a long time. The philosophical questions it raised are though provoking. It was also an indictment of contemporary values and rigid thinking expoused by those in power. Makes you looks below the surface reality to other layers of meaning.
  35. Diana
    Mar 11, 2005
    I recall reading somewhere that the director wanted to make a movie about growing up. maybe that edxplains why some might perceive it as a kiddymovie. the movie appears incredibly well made- interms of the idea, the writing, the imagery, the acting ... The only thing i found out of place in the movie was drew barrymore's perfomance, although it is great that she was the producer.
  36. WBoy
    Mar 28, 2005
    This is the best film I have ever seen!
  37. Thomad
    Jun 26, 2006
    For me it's the best movie I've seen. It's funny, interesting and it makes you think. It has small details to discover every time you see it again which keep the movie fresh.
  38. GooseG
    Jan 28, 2008
    Solid in every facet.
  39. AlP.
    Jun 22, 2009
    There is a nobility to this film which moved me greatly- More than any other film in recent memory. Unfortunately, it is apparently missed by a great many. Quite simply the most surprisingly brilliant film of it's year and in my top 5 films of all time.
  40. RodrigoM
    Jan 26, 2010
    Even if you aren't a big fan of sci-fi, the drama part of the movie is awesome. But if you like sci-fi you'll just love this.
  41. MichaelK.
    Feb 18, 2005
    Manages to deal with science, religion, fate, social blights, and love all at the same time while never seeming overcooked or trite. Meticilously filmed and paced (especially in the extended edition which I personally prefer), this is a shining example, along with Charlie Kaufman's films, of smart, fresh cinema.
  42. AkhilK
    Jul 27, 2005
    Its the little teenage obsessions and trivial moments that makes this movie so watchable and so entertaining. I was hooked from the beginning with its tantalizing opening song and stayed hooked well after the credits rolled as it stayed in my DVD player for weeks!
  43. ConnorB.
    Oct 21, 2006
    This isn
  44. Fisk
    Jun 21, 2006
    It's interesting. It's weird. It's funny. And it has a giant bunny rabbit. Awesome. Go and see it.
  45. JeffP
    Dec 4, 2009
    Every time I see this movie, which has probably been 10 times, I discover more depth and content to revel in. I highly recommend this film and have it in both blu-ray and DVD, just so I can loan it to friends. It has those gnostic undercurrents (The world is not what you think, and neither are you) which I loved in Blade Runner, The Matrix, Dark City, Waking Life, etc.
  46. Aug 11, 2010
    Do you ever wonder if the world you are living in is real? Do you wonder if it is nothing more than just a fabrication of your own insane imagination, or if it is happening for real? Donnie Darko is asking himself those very same questions as he travels down a mind breaking, insanity inducing journey that leaves you with a disturbing and haunting answer that will shatter everythingDo you ever wonder if the world you are living in is real? Do you wonder if it is nothing more than just a fabrication of your own insane imagination, or if it is happening for real? Donnie Darko is asking himself those very same questions as he travels down a mind breaking, insanity inducing journey that leaves you with a disturbing and haunting answer that will shatter everything you think you know about reality and also leave you with one nagging question, where does fantasy end and reality begin? Richard Kellyâ Expand
  47. Aug 14, 2010
    A unique, puzzling, strange, and gripping story about a boy in existential angst, aided of course by time traveling bunnies. I'm sure the suits were like, WHAT?, but I'm glad it made it to the screen. This is the definition of a cult classic.
  48. Oct 21, 2010
    Just seriously so strange and mystical it has you thinking for days. Not to mention the strange bunny man and the teenage angst. This is a film that fuses both universal consequences and personal problems into one genius cinematic bubble.
  49. Apr 4, 2011

I know I'm a tad late at watching this cult classic film but in my defense it has been on my wish list for over a year now, but just recently decided to download it and watch it. I must say, wish I watched this earlier as I was completely and totally blown away. Never have I before seen a film which when it was over I sat in

Never have I before seen a film which when it was over I sat in awe for like ten minutes and throughout the whole night I was thinking of all the points the movie brought up. I have never spent that long reflecting on a movie before. If you don't know of this movie I'll give a brief description. Basically it's about a teenager named Donnie Darko who is having essentially hallucinogenic visions. He imagines a 6 ft tall bunny rabbit who tells him when the world is going to end. Then the whole movie seems to revolve around the possibilities and science behind time travel and such.

Very sci-fi but presented in a way that I feel all people would like and even to a certain degree understand. Although the specifics of the time travel they go into are very confusing at times and even now I can't quite wrap my head around it all. Overall this is a great movie that is a must see for all. It gets you thinking about a complicated subject matter and is one of the most unique movies I have ever had the pleasure to watch.
  50. Mar 13, 2011
    This film is my absolute favorite film ever. I bought the special edition for a very low price, simply because it seemed like an extremely weird sci-fi flick, and I figured it would be funny to see a six-foot-tall bunny rabbit talking to Jake Gyllenhaal. What I didn't expect, however, was the film's utter seriousness, and it's message. The message, I've learned from research, is thatThis film is my absolute favorite film ever. I bought the special edition for a very low price, simply because it seemed like an extremely weird sci-fi flick, and I figured it would be funny to see a six-foot-tall bunny rabbit talking to Jake Gyllenhaal. What I didn't expect, however, was the film's utter seriousness, and it's message. The message, I've learned from research, is that the message is different to everyone. Director Richard Kelly may or may not have meant it, but the film's ending is extremely ambiguous; I've had multiple people tell me what they thought it meant, and none of their explanations quite matched my own. This adds to the greatness of the movie, I believe, because it involves the audience, coaxing them to form their own opinions on the film's meaning. In my view, which I will not begin to explain, in the event someone reads this without having seen the film, the film is extremely touching, to the point where I could barely contain my tears. I cry every time I watch it, actually, and I do not cry easily. If all of that isn't enough to get you to watch the film, let me tell you this: the rabbit is terrifying, despite how silly the idea may sound. Expand
  51. May 6, 2011
    When I first saw Donnie Darko (the theatrical cut), I was instantly taken in by its clever mix of sci-fi and teenage drama. I enjoyed the mix of humor and angst, the use of music, the enigma at its core. Which is exactly why I now say, less is more. I didn't much care for this extended cut, and felt it added nothing of value and even detracted from the film's sense of mystery. See theWhen I first saw Donnie Darko (the theatrical cut), I was instantly taken in by its clever mix of sci-fi and teenage drama. I enjoyed the mix of humor and angst, the use of music, the enigma at its core. Which is exactly why I now say, less is more. I didn't much care for this extended cut, and felt it added nothing of value and even detracted from the film's sense of mystery. See the original cut first, and if you're really interested, then check out this one. Expand
  52. Jun 22, 2011
    This film is fantastic and is probably my favorite movie of all time, unfortunately this is a movie you just have to sit down and watch yourself and is probably impossible to recommend to someone without just spoiling the whole thing or leaving them just as confused as they would be had they watched it.
  53. Aug 14, 2011
    This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie was a fantastic mix of horror, sci-fi, drama, and even a bit of comedy. This movie had me a bit confused at times and scared but that just makes it better. It made you think, and I love that in movies. It had an awesome storyline, a spectacular cast, cool soundtrack, and a great director. It had me on the edge my seat wonderingThis was one of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie was a fantastic mix of horror, sci-fi, drama, and even a bit of comedy. This movie had me a bit confused at times and scared but that just makes it better. It made you think, and I love that in movies. It had an awesome storyline, a spectacular cast, cool soundtrack, and a great director. It had me on the edge my seat wondering what was next the whole time. Again one of the best movies I have ever seen and if you didn't like it then "wake up." Expand
  54. Jun 27, 2012
    A film that intrigues you start going forward and that surprises you. The creator of this film was truly a genius!
  55. Feb 8, 2012
    In my top 5 movies of all time hands down and always will be. The first time I saw this was at least 7 years ago and I've seen it countless times since, each time enjoying it more and more. Easily my favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie. Also i would highly recommend the Director's cut over the original. The first time I ever saw the movie I saw the Directors cut and recently I saw the originalIn my top 5 movies of all time hands down and always will be. The first time I saw this was at least 7 years ago and I've seen it countless times since, each time enjoying it more and more. Easily my favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie. Also i would highly recommend the Director's cut over the original. The first time I ever saw the movie I saw the Directors cut and recently I saw the original once and it just paled in comparison. The Directors Cut almost guides you for a better understanding of the movie. Expand
  56. Jun 18, 2012
    Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal. He manages a great blend of humor and depth which wonderfully coincide with the direction and screenplay. And the story - a deliciously dark romp of confusing and bizarre images packed together with a great blend of satiric humor and frightening concepts. All in all, Donnie Darko brilliantly utilizes the star power of Jake Gyllenhaal to create a beautifulJake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal. He manages a great blend of humor and depth which wonderfully coincide with the direction and screenplay. And the story - a deliciously dark romp of confusing and bizarre images packed together with a great blend of satiric humor and frightening concepts. All in all, Donnie Darko brilliantly utilizes the star power of Jake Gyllenhaal to create a beautiful mystery fusing comedy, horror, and drama to create a cult classic full of dark atmosphere and profound themes. Expand
  57. Mar 15, 2013
    One of the most brilliant movies I have seen, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut offers an exceptional plot and fully fleshed out characters to further support and intensify the multitude of dark, existential and humanist themes it explores. Combine this with an excellent and wonderfully used soundtrack, a touching romantic subplot and just enough (black) humor to soften the hard-edgedOne of the most brilliant movies I have seen, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut offers an exceptional plot and fully fleshed out characters to further support and intensify the multitude of dark, existential and humanist themes it explores. Combine this with an excellent and wonderfully used soundtrack, a touching romantic subplot and just enough (black) humor to soften the hard-edged reality of Donnie's world and the result is a perfect film that will keep you engaged all the way and finally leave you emotional and overwhelmed with your own thoughts on life, death, love and the human experience. Expand
  58. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazingly well done. A bit too subtle (would've been a ten) but still an amazing journey and experience. Actors out-performed it, the actor that played Donnie played him just perfect. Music was pretty good too.
    This is NOT light watching, if you miss anything the movie really gets ruined; watch it in full, enjoy the complications.
  59. egg
    Mar 14, 2015
    My favourite version of my favourite film.
    My favourite version of my favourite film.
    The story is intriguing, and despite being open to interpretation, has an actual official arc if you read into it. Saying this movie is bad because it doesn't make sense is a crime; something doesn't have to make sense for you to have an emotional connection with it, and it does make sense if you engage with it. Of course I can't be mad for people viewing this film negatively, as opinions are a thing and I respect them, however in my humble opinion this is the greatest mainstream piece of film produced.
    Perhaps it was because I viewed it at a reasonably young age that I have a strong emotional connection with it, but I am still able to watch it and say it is magnificent. All of the characters are very human and have deceptively complex depth, with their simplicity being a reflection of the suburban society they exist in, and being faced with the seemingly supernatural, Donnie has to respond to this with his personal values.
    The proxemics are wonderful as the visuals and the music work so well together to produce an intense atmosphere one minute and then be transported back to real life suburbia the next morning. It does well to contrast various themes and visuals, yet I won't say which of these they are as they are pivotal to the plot. People say Richard Kelly was up his own arse when he made this but I think he just cared for it so much that he wanted as many people to have an emotional response with it as possible, hence the abstract story, and yet he kept us linked with the details through the book in this version of the film.
    I could go on forever but that would be boring, but there is far more to this movie that I have said so far. I highly recommend watching it and forming your own opinion on it, as whether you like it or not is irrelevant, as how it connects with you emotionally is what counts, and perhaps negative emotions are aroused causing you to hate this film, and that's fine. I love it.
  60. Oct 2, 2014
    Donnie Darko was mind-boggling, and I always had a fascination with time travel. Especially with such a beautiful ending I believe it is a superb movie.

1. With 20 additional minutes of screen time, the director's cut of Richard Kelly's genre-splicing "Donnie Darko" offers new viewers a second chance to discover his mind-bending masterwork.
  2. Immensely moving and strikingly original, Kelly's story of a brilliant, disturbed teen (Jake Gyllenhaal) drowning in the cultural morass of the 1980s now feels bloated.
    Obsessives will be familiar with the "new" material (almost all available on the original DVD), which elaborates on the time-travel metaphysics and tightens the emotional screws. Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) shares one additional tender exchange with each family member