8.5

1. Nov 2, 2010
    This movie talked to me, and I know it talks to a lot of people, specially young people. This movie had such an impact on me it impressed me and I still think about it and how it made me feel. I want to watch it constantly but I refrain myself so that every time I do watch it it remains a memorable experience.
  2. Aug 11, 2010
    Do you ever wonder if the world you are living in is real? Do you wonder if it is nothing more than just a fabrication of your own insane imagination, or if it is happening for real? Donnie Darko is asking himself those very same questions as he travels down a mind breaking, insanity inducing journey that leaves you with a disturbing and haunting answer that will shatter everything you think you know about reality and also leave you with one nagging question, where does fantasy end and reality begin? Richard Kellyâ Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2010
    A unique, puzzling, strange, and gripping story about a boy in existential angst, aided of course by time traveling bunnies. I'm sure the suits were like, WHAT?, but I'm glad it made it to the screen. This is the definition of a cult classic.
  4. Oct 21, 2010
    Just seriously so strange and mystical it has you thinking for days. Not to mention the strange bunny man and the teenage angst. This is a film that fuses both universal consequences and personal problems into one genius cinematic bubble.
  5. Apr 4, 2011

I know I'm a tad late at watching this cult classic film but in my defense it has been on my wish list for over a year now, but just recently decided to download it and watch it. I must say, wish I watched this earlier as I was completely and totally blown away.

Never have I before seen a film which when it was over I sat in
    awe for like ten minutes and throughout the whole night I was thinking of all the points the movie brought up. I have never spent that long reflecting on a movie before. If you don't know of this movie I'll give a brief description. Basically it's about a teenager named Donnie Darko who is having essentially hallucinogenic visions. He imagines a 6 ft tall bunny rabbit who tells him when the world is going to end. Then the whole movie seems to revolve around the possibilities and science behind time travel and such.

Very sci-fi but presented in a way that I feel all people would like and even to a certain degree understand. Although the specifics of the time travel they go into are very confusing at times and even now I can't quite wrap my head around it all. Overall this is a great movie that is a must see for all. It gets you thinking about a complicated subject matter and is one of the most unique movies I have ever had the pleasure to watch.
  6. Mar 13, 2011
    This film is my absolute favorite film ever. I bought the special edition for a very low price, simply because it seemed like an extremely weird sci-fi flick, and I figured it would be funny to see a six-foot-tall bunny rabbit talking to Jake Gyllenhaal. What I didn't expect, however, was the film's utter seriousness, and it's message. The message, I've learned from research, is that the message is different to everyone. Director Richard Kelly may or may not have meant it, but the film's ending is extremely ambiguous; I've had multiple people tell me what they thought it meant, and none of their explanations quite matched my own. This adds to the greatness of the movie, I believe, because it involves the audience, coaxing them to form their own opinions on the film's meaning. In my view, which I will not begin to explain, in the event someone reads this without having seen the film, the film is extremely touching, to the point where I could barely contain my tears. I cry every time I watch it, actually, and I do not cry easily. If all of that isn't enough to get you to watch the film, let me tell you this: the rabbit is terrifying, despite how silly the idea may sound. Expand
  7. May 6, 2011
    When I first saw Donnie Darko (the theatrical cut), I was instantly taken in by its clever mix of sci-fi and teenage drama. I enjoyed the mix of humor and angst, the use of music, the enigma at its core. Which is exactly why I now say, less is more. I didn't much care for this extended cut, and felt it added nothing of value and even detracted from the film's sense of mystery. See the original cut first, and if you're really interested, then check out this one. Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2011
    This film is fantastic and is probably my favorite movie of all time, unfortunately this is a movie you just have to sit down and watch yourself and is probably impossible to recommend to someone without just spoiling the whole thing or leaving them just as confused as they would be had they watched it.
  9. Aug 14, 2011
    This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie was a fantastic mix of horror, sci-fi, drama, and even a bit of comedy. This movie had me a bit confused at times and scared but that just makes it better. It made you think, and I love that in movies. It had an awesome storyline, a spectacular cast, cool soundtrack, and a great director. It had me on the edge my seat wondering what was next the whole time. Again one of the best movies I have ever seen and if you didn't like it then "wake up." Expand
  10. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    Donnie Darko's Directors Cut builds off the theatrical version by a lot with character development and a few loose ends with plot. If you decide to take a dive in the moody, thought-provoking Donnie Darko waters, you might as well dive in the 133 minute director's cut version.
  11. Jun 27, 2012
    A film that intrigues you start going forward and that surprises you. The creator of this film was truly a genius!
  12. Feb 8, 2012
    In my top 5 movies of all time hands down and always will be. The first time I saw this was at least 7 years ago and I've seen it countless times since, each time enjoying it more and more. Easily my favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie. Also i would highly recommend the Director's cut over the original. The first time I ever saw the movie I saw the Directors cut and recently I saw the original once and it just paled in comparison. The Directors Cut almost guides you for a better understanding of the movie. Expand
  13. Jun 18, 2012
    Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal. He manages a great blend of humor and depth which wonderfully coincide with the direction and screenplay. And the story - a deliciously dark romp of confusing and bizarre images packed together with a great blend of satiric humor and frightening concepts. All in all, Donnie Darko brilliantly utilizes the star power of Jake Gyllenhaal to create a beautiful mystery fusing comedy, horror, and drama to create a cult classic full of dark atmosphere and profound themes. Expand
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    One of the most brilliant movies I have seen, Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut offers an exceptional plot and fully fleshed out characters to further support and intensify the multitude of dark, existential and humanist themes it explores. Combine this with an excellent and wonderfully used soundtrack, a touching romantic subplot and just enough (black) humor to soften the hard-edged reality of Donnie's world and the result is a perfect film that will keep you engaged all the way and finally leave you emotional and overwhelmed with your own thoughts on life, death, love and the human experience. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazingly well done. A bit too subtle (would've been a ten) but still an amazing journey and experience. Actors out-performed it, the actor that played Donnie played him just perfect. Music was pretty good too.
    This is NOT light watching, if you miss anything the movie really gets ruined; watch it in full, enjoy the complications.
  16. Oct 2, 2014
    Donnie Darko was mind-boggling, and I always had a fascination with time travel. Especially with such a beautiful ending I believe it is a superb movie.

1. With 20 additional minutes of screen time, the director's cut of Richard Kelly's genre-splicing "Donnie Darko" offers new viewers a second chance to discover his mind-bending masterwork.
  2. Immensely moving and strikingly original, Kelly's story of a brilliant, disturbed teen (Jake Gyllenhaal) drowning in the cultural morass of the 1980s now feels bloated.
    Obsessives will be familiar with the "new" material (almost all available on the original DVD), which elaborates on the time-travel metaphysics and tightens the emotional screws. Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) shares one additional tender exchange with each family member