Newmarket Films | Release Date: October 26, 2001
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 316 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
grandpajoe6191Feb 14, 2012
It's full of inspiration and ideas, but "Donnie Darko" doesn't quite get the order right.
TheApplegnomeJul 12, 2014
Well I had an awesome review (1000+ words), but of course it just disappeared.
It's an mysterious and entertaining movie, but with to much boring and slow scenes.

Donnie Darko gets a 6.8/10
juliankennedy23Jul 22, 2014
Donnie Darko: 6 out of 10: Some movies just pass me right by. I found Amelie by the end more irritating than cute, I didn't laugh once at Rushmore, and only a hostage situation could coerce me to watch The Piano again.

Donnie Darko has a

Donnie Darko has a large legion of fans and I certainly understand its appeal. The acting by both Jake Gyllenhaal and Drew Barrymore is some of their best work. The rest of the cast also shines with a special kudos to Holmes Osborne as the father in what is almost always a throw away role.

The school and kids remind me of my high school from the eighties (Though this being Hollywood the music is much better than what the radio actually played in those years.) and the filmmakers certainly know how to frame a shot. I was even able to look past the Holden Caulfield and Harvey flashbacks the movie caused me to suffer.

So what went wrong… the plot. Oh up until the payoff it's fine enough, in fact it is better than fine. One wonders how the filmmakers are going to pull it off. The answer is simple. They don't. If anything the end of the movie reminded me of that atrocious horror film from a few years back Soul Survivors. Like Soul Survivors the movie holds your interest with more and more implausible plot twists and coincidences then cheats at the end like a bad junior high school English essay.

Now Donnie Darko is otherwise superior to Soul Survivors and other films where the ending is a groaner (cough The Village cough), but after all that goodness the magic is gone and they couldn't pull a rabbit out of their hat. Even a six foot demonic one.
OzyMay 4, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just had to watch this movie what with all the hype and everything. I was entertained however it felt long and a little hard to keep up at times. Although the ending deserves respect i didn't like that it was sad, it all a made sense at the end which really made me feel like i just watched a movie at school. Expand
adamSv94Feb 28, 2013
I can't really understand what all the fuzz is about regarding this movie. There's no denying that it's a good idea, but the movie is, all in all, very boring. Nothing really happens and the plot doesn't develop. Luckily, the ending isI can't really understand what all the fuzz is about regarding this movie. There's no denying that it's a good idea, but the movie is, all in all, very boring. Nothing really happens and the plot doesn't develop. Luckily, the ending is satisfying (although a bit sad), as long as you can understand what's going on. Expand
ksatchSep 22, 2014
Um bom filme, onde vemos boa referencias da vida, como por exemplo, ser influenciado pelos outros (no filme é o coelho de 2 metros), e também, a questão da viagem do tempo que é bem interessante. Contudo, acho que esse filme foi superUm bom filme, onde vemos boa referencias da vida, como por exemplo, ser influenciado pelos outros (no filme é o coelho de 2 metros), e também, a questão da viagem do tempo que é bem interessante. Contudo, acho que esse filme foi super valorizado, as vezes o ritmo entra num tédio, mas no geral vale a pena pela história e atores. Expand