5.2

1. Aug 28, 2011
    Guillermo del Toro prefers his fairy tales to contain a certain amount of artistic fantasy, wonder, and even violence. Children today are exposed to a kinder, gentler sort of fairy tale than they were a few centuries ago when they were much more graphic and held dire warnings for wayward children. In the past, del Toro has successfully revived those stronger veins of story. Donâ
  2. Jan 7, 2012
    Hahaha!!!! REALLY!!!!! Here is an idea, ummmm tear the wall down and go down that freakin hole with a team of suited men and a sh@*tload of flashlights and kill those little a@%holes!!! Im sorry but this movie did all the typical things that I was hoping it wouldn't. Lets see: 1- don't believe your child and just call her crazy, 2-act like there is some unwritten rule saying the childHahaha!!!! REALLY!!!!! Here is an idea, ummmm tear the wall down and go down that freakin hole with a team of suited men and a sh@*tload of flashlights and kill those little a@%holes!!! Im sorry but this movie did all the typical things that I was hoping it wouldn't. Lets see: 1- don't believe your child and just call her crazy, 2-act like there is some unwritten rule saying the child must remain in her room to sleep at all times even if she is terrified of the boogie man! 3-never ask the important questions like, where did you see these things, should we put a lock on the basement door where the big strong handyman got "accidentally" hurt, why is there a mini creature arm on the library floor or those weirdos in the pictures our daughter took, how about why is the bathroom curtain all shredded up when sally fell into the tub.....I mean the list goes on and on!! Plus why is going to the library more important than "get the girl out of the house", you did go to see Mr handyman for a reason and does the hospital not have nurses that can bandage up cuts properly, old fart is going to die from infection!!! My last complaint(but by far not all of them) why.....oh why do people in times of crisis when needing to leave a home fast pack and fold clothes like they are going on a family vacation! I dont know about you but Im pretty sure if they just walked out the front door they would have all been fine. Ok so another false advertising preview about a haunted creepy home, but it ends up being about a dumba@* father and little gremlin fu@*ers that could be easily punted clear across a room!!! Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    08-15-Movie without any exciting Scenes. Little fairies from the Underworld looking like some kind of ugly rats? After you saw the antagonists, there was no more sense to watch the movie to the end...
  4. Sep 8, 2011
    This is a pretty typical haunted house scenario. In this case, a girl is pursued by beasties, who turn out to be quite vicious. Of course, her dad (Guy Pearce) and his girlfriend (Katie Holmes) don't believe herâ
  5. Feb 11, 2012
    There's no to worry about, just bring your flashlight or polaroid if you afraid of the dark. I believe it should be great if the movie could gorier. Guillermo Del Toro seems not 'sold'
  6. Nov 3, 2011
    Dont be afraid of the dark. Should be called dont be afraid of this movei. Its not scary. Its brings nothing new to the genre. The scenes seem to be badly cut and the characters have no weight behind them.
  7. Jan 7, 2012
    WTF! really? Boring horror flick I have ever had the displeasure of watching. The previews really made me think how I HAD to see it. But of course I was seriously let down. To the point that i would have rather washed dishes by hand or laundry then be forced to watch this movie and what the heck about the ending???? Boo!
  8. Aug 27, 2011
    I felt compelled to write this review to warn anyone who is thinking about spending their hard earned money and time watching this film. Absolutely terrible. You have been warned, this movie sucks, really, really, really, really, bad. I have no idea what the critics saw in this film. There was absolutely nothing good about it.
  9. Sep 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is a terrible film. They got the atmosphere right in the beginning, had a decent ending moment, and that's it. -Characters: completely one dimensional, and boring. No reason to care about them, and the girl was a brat...aren't we supposed to empathize with the lead? - Creatures: laughable. They are shown WAY too early, so no suspense is built wondering what they are. When you don't see the creatures for a while, it's scarier, but we saw them ten minutes into the movie! And TBH, the creature design was very uninspired (unlike his previous works). They could of at least had different looking ones, some small, some larger...diversity is always welcomed! - Pacing: it was really slow. A lot of exposition, and waiting for something to happen. - Plot holes: oh dear, the plot holes! For instance, when the little girl closes the bookcase on the creature, killing it, and severing it's little arm (they show a close-up of the little arm even!), NO ONE SEES IT! There are 20+ people in the room staring at the little girl like she's mad, and she doesn't even point to the bookcase, WTF? If you were her, wouldn't you pick up it's little severed arm and wave it at them, yelling, "Told you they were real!" Wouldn't you? Or at least show them the squashed bugger, or even one of the hundred pictures she snapped (BTW, what was up with that camera? It NEVER ran out of film!?)? Nope, instead we CUT TO: her laying in bed, drugged up, because she's a psycho apparently. There's more, but this one infuriated me in the theater (as you can tell). There's other threads here if you'd like to know more about these lovely plot holes. - Suspense: did I mention there was no suspense? - Katey Holmes: Yep. She's as bland as ever. Yup. I hated this *beep* movie. Worst part is, I tried to salvage my evening by watching Shark Night 3D...didn't work. It was an even bigger piece of *beep* but for different reasons. Which is sad, because I loved Piranha 3D. Why would they make a movie off the success of another, and make it so watered down, cliched, and just bad? A$$holes. A terrible night at the movies, indeed.

I am a huge fan of del Toro, so I feel really let down. He is a genius. so I must wonder what he was thinking. I would have done a ton of re-edits, and recast the three leads. I'm glad some people enjoyed it, I just don't know how they did. I really believe that critics are giving good reviews on the sole purpose it has del Toro's name attached. How were they not distracted by the familiar cliche's and plot holes?
  10. Nov 27, 2011
    this may be the worst movie ever. You have to be both deaf and blind if you will appreciate it .... In the end you just want them to die so that the film could end .....
  11. May 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is trash. First off, there are continuity problems with the story line. The male lead is a huge P word and the story is written in such a way that you cannot connect with the characters. In fact, it has you hoping that the little girl or father will soon be murdered. There were holes in the logistics of the writing that made this movie holier than swiss cheese. For example: At one point a man gets attacked by a bunch of little D suckers, leaving like 25 stab wounds all over his body along with a pair of scizzors sticking out of his shoulder blades and the family, the cops and medical officials pronounce it an "accident." After the fact that the house is being overrun by little D suckers and after one is smashed leaving a dead body, the father still puts the girls to sleep, in a dark room, by herself, to let the little monsters diddle the little girl. The "man" of the family caters to old men perfectly but wastes a solid 20 seconds of life threatening crucial time to get a mallet break off the door nob rather than just kicking it around. He does this same thing with a window oping to find something to break it with rather than using his fist. To best describe the end of this movie, I felt more at peace at the end of the Titanic than I did with this movie. Katie Holmes who gave the only acceptable performance and played the father figure of the movie was apparently transformed into one of the monsters. That's a theme that cannot be introduced in the last 15 seconds of the movie. That's elementary essay writing. The only saving grace was Katie Holmes' sphincter clenching leg snap scene. Overall this movie comes in as a close second to Lady in the Water. If you've seen this movie we suggest writing Mr. Del Toro a letter requesting a return of the two hours that were so brutally taken from you. Awful. Just awful. :( Expand
  12. Mar 19, 2013
    I gave it a four mainly for how they wrote the film and the atmosphere was creepy. However it wasn't scary. I have no idea what really went on beside the girl being harased but the parents dont believe her. The movie was eh....If you find 1 foot tall bald rats that stand up and whisper then this is for you but if your looking for a movie that is scary this isnt it.

1. Reviewed by: Keith Uhlich
    Aug 30, 2011
    When the monsters finally show themselves, this potent theme is lost amid a lot of proficiently staged but insubstantial scare scenes - heavy on musical stingers and weightless CGI.
  2. Reviewed by: Eric Kohn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Largely a cut-and-paste affair, although useful for that very reason; it provides a glaring reminder that scary movies have evolved, both in terms of style and expectations, but the evolution isn't worth the effort.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Aug 26, 2011
    One major reason it succeeds is because of 11-year-old actress Bailee Madison, who brings a wonderful believability to her role as the girl at the center of the film.