Columbia Pictures | Release Date: January 29, 1964
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 578 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleMar 24, 2014
Dr. Strangelove continues to prove to me why Stanley Kubrick is worthy of the praise heaped upon him. On the surface, this one is absolutely hilarious. There are numerous scenes that have you laughing out loud, especially ones with PeterDr. Strangelove continues to prove to me why Stanley Kubrick is worthy of the praise heaped upon him. On the surface, this one is absolutely hilarious. There are numerous scenes that have you laughing out loud, especially ones with Peter Sellers and/or George Scott. Luckily, Sellers plays three roles so we get to see a lot of him and he really helped put this one over the top for me. It is amazing to me that this one is still a riot considering that it was released 50 years ago, but it goes to show that good films transcend time and this one fits the bill completely. In addition to being funny, it is a great political thriller as we watch everything unfold in the film. The ending song as the film wraps up was also a phenomenal choice and was a perfect compliment to the things going on on screen. Expand
Compi24Feb 6, 2015
Razor sharp satire and blissfully dark lunacy prevail in Stanley Kubrick's classic and brazen comment on the Cold War - "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb."
lasttimeisawMar 4, 2013
According to Morrissey’s recent manifestation “more gay people, more peaceful the world”, war is the malicious ramification of heterosexual men’s urge to kill their peers (I’m paraphrasing here), which tallies germanely with this Kubrick’sAccording to Morrissey’s recent manifestation “more gay people, more peaceful the world”, war is the malicious ramification of heterosexual men’s urge to kill their peers (I’m paraphrasing here), which tallies germanely with this Kubrick’s black war satire. Under the cold war backdrop, a rogue nuclear attack to Soviet Union commenced by a fervid anti-communist USA general, which would (irrevocably) launch a doomsday machine (a Soviet Union’s ultimate self-destructive nuclear contraption), and would annihilate all the human beings on the earth. It may sounds ridiculous and far-fetched by the mass, Kubrick’s masterful endeavor has overcome the detached accessibility of the warfare lingoes and the exclusivity of the decision-makers’ political impasse to implement a stranger-than-fiction satire which grants a considerable closeness to its audience with ease. Running within 100 minutes, the film slickly unreels its storyline with great force of dark humor which imbues parodic and even cartoonish idiosyncrasies to the permeating machismo in the air. Peter Sellers’ three-faceted versatility, George C. Scott’s Communism-slamming extravaganza and Sterling Hayden’s trigger-happy paranoia plus Slim Pickens’ cowboy hat, the ensemble cast owns their respective frantic glory within a compacted steak of time, umpteen gags and mockeries can be savored ad infinitum, Sellers’British accent (as Group Captain) when confronting Sterling’s General Rippers is unimpeachably spontaneous, Keenan Wynn’s coca-cola joke is pertinently deadpan serious and Sterling’s conspiracy theory about water fluoridation and the fearful deprivation of life essence during a sexual intercourse (the man just cannot face his natural aging mechanism of the body) are plainly golden ideas, outlandish but vividly rib-tickling, and astringently self-reflective.

Kubrick’s trademark set design which would prevail in his later color features has not fully exploited this black-and-white war farce, and the (not-too-obvious) misogyny and chauvinism overtone does impede the sensitive nerves a bit, nevertheless, it is not my favorite Kubrick’s film, but it is an outstanding comedy which I presume can stay untainted by numerous re-watches, for me the first round is more than gratifying and since my generally inert resistance towards war-related films, a second round may take some time despite of its overall peerlessness.
FranzHcriticMar 8, 2014
I don't think I've seen a satire made exactly for its time, and becoming a critically lauded success. The cinematography, acting, script, and underlying themes, all in total, makes for the one of the smartest, and oddly blackest of blackI don't think I've seen a satire made exactly for its time, and becoming a critically lauded success. The cinematography, acting, script, and underlying themes, all in total, makes for the one of the smartest, and oddly blackest of black comedies. Stanley Kubrick is, in my personal opinion, the greatest filmmaker of the late 20th century. Expand
StevenFAug 27, 2013
A film that simply doesn't age, almost 50 years after its release, Dr. Strangelove is still considered to be the greatest comedy of all time and one of the all time best films, it takes the very serious and historic setting of the Cold WarA film that simply doesn't age, almost 50 years after its release, Dr. Strangelove is still considered to be the greatest comedy of all time and one of the all time best films, it takes the very serious and historic setting of the Cold War and manages to make it hilarious, not through the actions, but through the characters that are carrying out these actions, Peter Sellers plays three roles in this film, and each of these roles is as side-splitting as the next. But perhaps his best of the three is the titular character Dr. Strangelove, a former Nazi scientist who aides the current President of the United States, Merkin Muffley (also played by Sellers) on the basis of the film, where a crazed general (George C. Scott) initiates a first stike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, something which everyone else is now attempting to prevent as this will mean nuclear annihilation.
The simplicity of the comedy in Dr. Strangelove is visible from the beginning, it isn't a complex plot of drawn out jokes and cringeworthy gags, but the expressions, motions and general dialogue of the characters that truly make it a special film, it doesn't have spectacular special effects nor does it have visually striking sets, but its simplicity is its greatest weapons, because all it needs is the correct characters and you have a winner, the easiest way to make people laugh is turning a serious situation on its head which really shouldn't be funny, but human nature wins out over morals.
Its ironic that a film like this should be so highly praised, but yet probably wouldn't last in todays current climate of happy endings and learnt lessons, we have a very pure and a very real outcome of what the film sets out to do, director and writer Stanley Kubrick proves that he was one of the most iconic and inspirational filmmakers of all time by turning his hand to a comedy, especially with a subject so fresh at the time of filming. He proves that laughter can be found in the most unlikely of places, especially when we have a very character driven story which throws perspective after perspective, we see a more subdued side when we are in the of the B52s, yet in the infamous 'War Room' we have much more insanity laced and lighter atmosphere.
Dr. Strangelove is a true timeless classic and a fantastic film, it pushed the boundaries of what was funny and what was satire, and came out throwing all the punches, equalling to a dazzling display of excellent performances and some of the funniest moments and quotes to come out of the cinema.
Movie1997Jul 18, 2015
Taking a look back at some of Kubrick's earlier looks I noticed that I didn't love this movie. I really wanted to love this movie, but it did kind of disappointed me. Here's the thing, the movie looks great on a technical level, Peter SellarsTaking a look back at some of Kubrick's earlier looks I noticed that I didn't love this movie. I really wanted to love this movie, but it did kind of disappointed me. Here's the thing, the movie looks great on a technical level, Peter Sellars and George C. Scott are great in the movie, some of the war scenes looked really amazing, and it's funny at parts. However, I wasn't interested the rest of the characters aside from Sellars multiple performances and Scott's performance. I wasn't that too invested in the story until about halfway through. And there were parts that I simply did not laugh at. The movie, to me, only felt like it was suppose to be a comedy at parts. The rest felt to me that it was suppose to be drama. I guess the structure didn't feel like a true comedy to me. But like I said, the second half is what ultimately drew me into the story. I know lots of people love this political comedy, but personally it didn't work to its full benefit like I hoped it would. Overall, even with its lack in structure, the movie slowly builds to become more engaging the further you get into it even if it feels too late. I'll give "Dr. Strangelove" a B-! Expand
ERG1008Sep 1, 2010
Stanley Kubrick's black comedy about cold war paranoia.
Peter Sellars is outstanding (I'm not a big fan) although mainly for President Muffley & Cpt Mandrake rather than Strangelove himself.
The rest of the cast ham it up quite well but
Stanley Kubrick's black comedy about cold war paranoia.
The rest of the cast ham it up quite well but didn't think it was as funny as a lot of people make out.
Nesbitt10Dec 18, 2012
Stanley Kurbrick's brillant satire on the cold war is widely considered one of the funniest movies in cinematic history. A lone general gone mad gives the green light launching an A-Bomb attack on Russia, and the President now (Sellers) mustStanley Kurbrick's brillant satire on the cold war is widely considered one of the funniest movies in cinematic history. A lone general gone mad gives the green light launching an A-Bomb attack on Russia, and the President now (Sellers) must pull out all the stops to prevent this. This dark comedy is shot entirely in black and white with terrific production design. Astutely, Kubrick focuses on the actual nuclear event in itself, thus removing the issues of foreign politics. The films message simply put its this; man is not at the mercey of machines,but it in fact it's just the opposite. Petter Sellers is sensational playing several roles and the film has stood the test of time remaining undated. Expand
cabritaJan 27, 2012
A film that is a true masterpiece. It has it all; comedy,suspense and a well told story. The film truly shows how silly people in goverment can be. Not trying to say this is what actually happened during the cold war although I do have aA film that is a true masterpiece. It has it all; comedy,suspense and a well told story. The film truly shows how silly people in goverment can be. Not trying to say this is what actually happened during the cold war although I do have a suspicion. Overall an unbelievable film which could never be created today because of people's longing of a happy ending. Expand
CritiqueGirlMar 1, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There has never been a funnier movie. I can't tell you how many times I have watched this. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens were all genius and all the supporting actors were perfect. "I've never seen such behavior in the war room." One of the funniest lines in the movie. One of the funniest scenes is Slim Pickens riding the missile. Although it is a black comedy it is not gross or depressing. Expand
tjman09Oct 22, 2015
Out of one of the most tense times in U.S. history came one of the more crude and witty satires on the U.S. approach and policies. The film was a spoof of the entire American special forces, and their protocols. Dr. Strangelove was a wittyOut of one of the most tense times in U.S. history came one of the more crude and witty satires on the U.S. approach and policies. The film was a spoof of the entire American special forces, and their protocols. Dr. Strangelove was a witty satire of the paranoia towards communism, the overly complex emergency protocols, and the U.S. special forces leadership. It was also most likely a film that would predict the future culture of america.
In the mid 1960’s, when Dr. Strangelove came out, respect for the government was paramount to the masses, this trust would be violated just a few years later with the war of vietnam. Looking at that maybe it’s best to say Dr. Strangelove was slightly ahead of it’s time, and maybe it even helped shape the future cultures opinions. Either way the irreverence that Dr. Strangelove showed towards the U.S. politicians and special forces was at the time, controversial, mostly because the most accepted idea was that these people and institutions were off limits.
The film was brimming with irony, most likely symbolizing that Kubrick felt the cold war, and paranoia had an ironic air to it. The film seems to reinforce that Kubrick thought the whole situation was ridiculous, and the irony of the hysteria wasn’t lost on Kubrick either. There are examples of this littered throughout the film, and Kubrick obviously found something funny about it all, it’s easy to look back and laugh, but at the time this film was bold, because it was as scary as it was funny to those watching it.
As was mentioned earlier the film’s cornerstone is the ironic humor, for example the ironic scoring. Kubrick was a master of using music to further his movie, especially in 2001: A Space Odyssey, but in this instance the music was an extension of Kubrick’s opinions. Used brilliantly the music had a peaceful scariness, as soft melodic music plays over bomb carriers flying through the sky. Another element Kubrick wouldn’t shy away from, especially with irony, was the overly masculine posturing of both countries.
Irony was also used to satirize the U.S. leadership, often showing the irony of the special forces. Good examples of this are the poster reading “Peace is our Profession”, or Slim Picken’s talking about promotions as they unknowingly go rogue, or the most famous quote of the film “Gentlemen you can’t fight here, this is the war room.” All of these are great examples of the overly militarized society that we were living in, something Kubrick must have hated.
Coming at a time of change for the country, and possibly helping that change happen Kubrick boldly satirized one of the most respected organizations in the United States with reckless abandon. However, maybe in doing so gave the country exactly what it needed, a vehicle to laugh and poke fun at how ridiculous the countries were acting. Considering the opinions of culture towards the military, and other satirized organizations, it seems obvious that Dr. Strangelove was drastically ahead of it’s time.
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Kubrickâ Expand
RobertBroganSep 30, 2015
Dr. Strangelove has a dated yet classic 50s/60s feel to the filmmaking and acting, and it also has timeless comedic appeal. Perhaps the degree of its humor has increased, since what was absurd then seems even more so now. The action movesDr. Strangelove has a dated yet classic 50s/60s feel to the filmmaking and acting, and it also has timeless comedic appeal. Perhaps the degree of its humor has increased, since what was absurd then seems even more so now. The action moves along and switches between the three locations, without going on (much) too long in any scene. The length of the film is just right -- perfect for a laugh on a Saturday afternoon. Expand
VinceRocks123Apr 5, 2015
Probably one of the greatest films ever made, Stanley Kubrick's Cold War satire, is a madhouse of wacko performances and a screwball plot add with a explosive mixture of dark elements including nuclear weapons.

Peter Sellers does the math

Peter Sellers does the math well, playing three performances as a RAF colonel Mandrake, the President of the United States, and Ex-Nazi scientist Dr. Strangelove with lots of hilarity bizarre memorable scenes, from "Hello Dimitri?" to "Fighting in the War Room" to "riding the Bomb" to "MEIN FÜHRER I CAN WALK!!!"

Its a rare comedy with a black sense of anti-war ideology that still impacts the hearts of the American dream! its a movie that should also be enjoyed million, and I expect it to have been a box-office hit in Moscow especially the Kremlin!

Hands down a masterpiece indeed from Dr. Stanley Kubrick
AkashVijayJan 22, 2015
It's not just one of Kubrick's best, it's one of the greatest comedies ever made. Black Comedy about Cold War Paranoia? Oh Come on. What else could you wan't from a film?
TheDaveHimselfJun 29, 2011
Kubrick has never had a problem dazzling his audience or at least making them wince, but Dr. Strangelove shows the director in strange form. Who knew the Cold War could be this hilarious? The always fantastic performances by Peter Sellers areKubrick has never had a problem dazzling his audience or at least making them wince, but Dr. Strangelove shows the director in strange form. Who knew the Cold War could be this hilarious? The always fantastic performances by Peter Sellers are worth it alone (and you get three of them). Along with George C. Scott, this is truly an unforgettable film. If you aren't laughing than greater work is needed. The greatest truths are in comedy. Expand
AtTheMoviesJun 17, 2011
Dr. Strangelove is very simply one of the best films ever made. It easily takes the title of best comedy film. Wickedly smart and satirical, Dr. Strangelove still very much applies to the present day situation, 47 years later. SuperblyDr. Strangelove is very simply one of the best films ever made. It easily takes the title of best comedy film. Wickedly smart and satirical, Dr. Strangelove still very much applies to the present day situation, 47 years later. Superbly acted, well written, and directed by the great Kubrick, Strangelove delivers everything you could want from a movie: humor, drama, history, and a main character with Alien Hand Syndrome. No matter what kind of movies you like, Dr. Strangelove is for you. Expand
RodrigoBGCNov 22, 2011
This is what i called i great black humor movie, if i can bring some person from dead that would be Stanley Kubrick, this movie show that he was a **** genius , mixing drama and humor in such a perfect way, i must give it 10 because i can notThis is what i called i great black humor movie, if i can bring some person from dead that would be Stanley Kubrick, this movie show that he was a **** genius , mixing drama and humor in such a perfect way, i must give it 10 because i can not give it a 100 Expand
REDWOUNov 22, 2014
Dr. Strangelove wasn't Stanley Kubrick's best movie, in my own opinion. There's barely any rising action in the movie, just dialogue. It is still a good movie, with a purpose.
ImUnavailableMar 6, 2012
An uncompromising insight into the us versus them Cold War mentality, its impact strengthened by Kubrick's clever satire. The movie contains three different but equally satisfying stories that examine war on a personal and political level.An uncompromising insight into the us versus them Cold War mentality, its impact strengthened by Kubrick's clever satire. The movie contains three different but equally satisfying stories that examine war on a personal and political level. This is an intelligent and bold film that highlights the paranoia and ridiculousness of the time. Expand
FIlmsareawesomeAug 31, 2011
Another Fantastic Movie of Stanley Kubrick, Peter Sellers did a great job with all of his characters, especially Dr. strangelove, the ending scene was very interesting and original. I like it very much, it's my favourite movie of stanley kubrick.
AlvaradoKTAJun 20, 2014
With humor and intense acting throughout, Dr.Strange clearly stands the test of time. Easily enjoyable well after the cold war, one can only imagine how hard it would have been to laugh at this scenario back then. The film shows impendingWith humor and intense acting throughout, Dr.Strange clearly stands the test of time. Easily enjoyable well after the cold war, one can only imagine how hard it would have been to laugh at this scenario back then. The film shows impending doom in two equally greatly written perspectives. The great cinematography of Gilbert Taylor, gives Dr. Strangelove a beautiful aesthetic. Expand
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015
When you consider the history of motion pictures, certain watershed films leap to mind -- productions which have left their mark on the craft. Without a doubt, one of those is Stanley Kubrik's 1964 masterpiece, Dr. Strangelove (or, as it'sWhen you consider the history of motion pictures, certain watershed films leap to mind -- productions which have left their mark on the craft. Without a doubt, one of those is Stanley Kubrik's 1964 masterpiece, Dr. Strangelove (or, as it's subtitled, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb). As political satire, few movies -- even those as incisive as the hilariously vicious 1992 release Bob Roberts -- come close to this level of accomplishment. In the case of Dr. Strangelove, the barbs and quips (both subtle and obvious) hold up as well today as they did thirty years ago.

When director Stanley Kubrick decided to adapt Peter George's thriller Red Alert for the screen, he recruited the author to help with the script. Instead of retaining the straight tone of the book, Kubrick wanted to try for a black comedy, and with the complicity of George and co-writer Terry Southern, Dr. Strangelove was born.

Originally, Kubrick envisioned Peter Sellers playing four unique roles. However, after filming three of them (President Merkin Muffley, RAF Group Captain Mandrake, and ex-Nazi scientist Dr. Strangelove), the actor broke his leg and was unable to complete the quartet. In his place, Slim Pickens was signed to portray Major "King" Kong. Other cast members include George C. Scott as General Buck Turgidson, Sterling Hayden as General Jack D. Ripper, and James Earl Jones (in his first film role) as Lieutenant Lothar Zogg.

As a story chronicling the potential countdown to humanity's end in a nuclear fireball, Dr. Strangelove is tightly-plotted and well-paced. As a black comedy, wielding a wit sharper than honed steel, the film is unparalleled. Kubrick's picture has so many targets that it's difficult to know where to begin. Certainly, the "balance of power" nuclear deterrent policy gets the most obvious jabs (although ardent supporters may not see this -- Dr. Strangelove's attacks are subtle enough that it's possible for an unsophisticated viewer to miss the point). Parodying the "missile gap" at the heart of the arms race, we are given the "doomsday gap" and the "mine shaft gap."

Kubrick isn't especially kind to the military mentality, as personified by General Turgidson (elements of Scott's performance here foreshadow how he would approach the role of Patton in the 1970 movie that earned him an Oscar). Turgidson sees Soviet plots everywhere, flirts with a girlfriend in the midst of a national crisis, believes 10-20 million American casualties (tops!) are acceptable, and wishes the U.S. had some sort of doomsday machine to match the Russians' capabilities.

As the film races to its conclusion, situations become more bizarre, with a drunk Soviet Premier Kissoff whining over the phone to Muffley that the U.S. planes are flying too low and jamming his radar. Mandrake tries to put an emergency call through to the President, but the Pentagon won't accept the collect call, and he doesn't have exact change. And Dr. Strangelove, Hitler's best living ally, comes up with a plan to preserve the superior elements of humanity.

The genius of Dr. Strangelove is that it's possible to laugh -- and laugh hard -- while still recognizing the intelligence and insight behind the humor. The film is always saying something, and a viewer would have to be deaf and blind not to recognize the targets of the sarcasm. In fact, I'd worry about anyone who takes this movie too seriously. That, after all, isn't the kind of person Dr. Strangelove is aimed for; it's the kind this film takes aim at.
pgmarkDec 16, 2010
Great performances.. great story.... great humor... great directing.... top 10 for me

*high point* Sterling Haydens performance - he was so spot on and how he could deliver that ridiculous (in the best way) dialog that way was amazing
shamusolarrySep 7, 2011
This movie might be a little overrated by today's standards, but it is still very enjoyable. It has the perfect mixture of smart and idiotic humor. The writing is brilliant. The acting is amazing, especially that of Sellers. It really is a must see.
NF123Aug 23, 2010
Feels like 2 movies in 1, the segments on the plane and in the air force base are largely solemn and serious, the War room however is comical and insane. But this works well as it conveys what the film is about, the lunacy of politicians andFeels like 2 movies in 1, the segments on the plane and in the air force base are largely solemn and serious, the War room however is comical and insane. But this works well as it conveys what the film is about, the lunacy of politicians and the effects of beaurocracy. Dr Strangelove himself only appears in the latter half of the film but god does Peter Sellers do a good job! In all 3 of his roles. It's a pity everyone knows the ending though because it's been done to death in popular culture (Along with the famous line "Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!" one of the funniest in history. However I will say the 5 minutes before the famous segment with major Kong is i think one of the best 5 minutes in cinematic history, especially with the countdown, of sorts. It is truly one of the most tense few minutes I've ever seen and the acting is brilliant! The look on their faces as they approach the target in almost too real. It deserves all of the praise it gets without doubt! Peter Sellers, you are one of the greats! Along of course with Kubrick Expand
Bob_LoblawMay 1, 2014
Greatest satirical comedy film ever made, as well as the funniest death scene. **** Metacritic's outrageous rule of a minimum 150 characters.

Kubrick is the ****
chocolatekissMar 1, 2011
This is my #1 movie of all time. Funniest movie there is. It was a spoof on another movie which actually makes it funnier. During one of Dr. Strangelove's speeches an actor in the background can barely contain himself. Slim Pickens had meThis is my #1 movie of all time. Funniest movie there is. It was a spoof on another movie which actually makes it funnier. During one of Dr. Strangelove's speeches an actor in the background can barely contain himself. Slim Pickens had me laughing like anything. Peter Sellers plays three parts, Strangelove, the President and the English Officer. George C. Scott was incredibly funny. Each character is a gem. Expand
AnarchyAusOct 26, 2015
Stanley Kubrick throws his hat into the political aspect of the cold war and comes out a war hero. Kubrick's satirical side really comes out in the film showing not only does the legendary director has a sense of humor but he can coverStanley Kubrick throws his hat into the political aspect of the cold war and comes out a war hero. Kubrick's satirical side really comes out in the film showing not only does the legendary director has a sense of humor but he can cover political issues in the same light without making them seem like a joke. Expand
theunholymesiahSep 25, 2013
This is the Kubrick film I've seen the most, about several times in a short amount of time. So it's hard to give a really positive review when you've seen it a lot. All I can say is this. In my opinion it's not one of the funniest comedies ofThis is the Kubrick film I've seen the most, about several times in a short amount of time. So it's hard to give a really positive review when you've seen it a lot. All I can say is this. In my opinion it's not one of the funniest comedies of all time but I agree it's one of the greatest. This is one of the shortest Kubrick films and probably the most casual to watch which I like. There is a lot of dialogue but it gets pretty entertaining in the second half of the film. And there are a couple of really funny scenes; my highlight is the one where the President is on the phone trying to tell the Russian leader that American planes are going to bomb Russia. And what makes it great also is the comment it makes. This is one of THE cold war films. All the paranoia and suspicion and madness. The ending was the right way to end the film. It should be part of your bucket list of films to watch. Expand