Summit Entertainment | Release Date: April 11, 2014
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 69 Ratings
Watch Now
ricksrosesMay 19, 2014
This was a very good one to watch very interesting story and well acted. Well worth the price of admission. The interaction between actors was exceptional.
BrianMcCriticApr 11, 2014
As a fan of the NFL and more importantly the NFL Draft this film was right in my wheelhouse and for the most part I was satisfied. The feeling of genuine tension that the GM's go through was played very nicely here by Kevin Costner. My fewAs a fan of the NFL and more importantly the NFL Draft this film was right in my wheelhouse and for the most part I was satisfied. The feeling of genuine tension that the GM's go through was played very nicely here by Kevin Costner. My few problems come from the fact that it is fairly predictable and some of the later trade scenes weren't very logical if you think about it, but overall a pretty fun time for Draft fans. B+ Expand
moviemitch96Apr 19, 2014
This really turned out to be a great and enjoyable film for me. Kevin Costner has still got what it takes to make the best out of his performance and that's exactly what he does in this film. Other big names in film, such as Ellen Burstyn,This really turned out to be a great and enjoyable film for me. Kevin Costner has still got what it takes to make the best out of his performance and that's exactly what he does in this film. Other big names in film, such as Ellen Burstyn, Sam Elliot, Dennis Leary, and even Jennifer Garner all gave great performances. Even those who aren't fans of sports will still likely enjoy it, as it offers a great and entertaining story along with Costner's worthwhile performance. Expand
kivayugimotoApr 12, 2014
A very enjoyable movie; if you are a Kevin Costner fan, you will like this movie. If you like his previous sports movies, this is another movie worth seeing. I'm glad this movie still surprised me; apart from what I thought the movie wasA very enjoyable movie; if you are a Kevin Costner fan, you will like this movie. If you like his previous sports movies, this is another movie worth seeing. I'm glad this movie still surprised me; apart from what I thought the movie was going to be from watching the previews. This one is worth seeing. Expand
chucksterMay 11, 2014
The question going into the 2014 draft was to take a qb as a first pick or a defensive player. DD is prescient enough to create a story based on those machinations, and the fact that the game is a business first, sport second. Costner'sThe question going into the 2014 draft was to take a qb as a first pick or a defensive player. DD is prescient enough to create a story based on those machinations, and the fact that the game is a business first, sport second. Costner's character is pulled in a number of ways, but his first instinct, do what will help the team long term. Character counts, just ask Ryan Leif and Matt Leinart, qb's are sexy, you win with D. A solid, if unspectacular, movie, it shows what it means to run own a team Expand
ChevymacMay 14, 2014
Vontae Mack is certain. Very certain. He knows where he should be in today's NFL Draft - and he is insistent in telling Brown's GM Sonny Weaver exactly how the team's pick should go down. But, as insistent as Vontae is, Sonny must listenVontae Mack is certain. Very certain. He knows where he should be in today's NFL Draft - and he is insistent in telling Brown's GM Sonny Weaver exactly how the team's pick should go down. But, as insistent as Vontae is, Sonny must listen to numerous voices today telling him exactly the same thing.

Draft Day is all about positioning - Weaver trying to place the Browns in the best position to win in the future; the Seattle Seahawks GM, Tom Michaels, trying to leverage their Number One pick for a better shot at the future; and, among others, team owner Anthony Molina pressuring Weaver to mike the "right" decision.

A lot of folks believe movies are all about the stars, the directors, the producers, and/or the producers. I've always believed a movie should be about the story. This story is pretty good - but, it isn't great.

The characters, for the most part, work really well together. Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) is very believable. He carries all the emotional baggage he should for what he does. He's a man on a tightrope, and one misstep will send him into the abyss, and for a few moments, here - we believe he will fall. And we don't want him to. The antagonist - owner, Anthony Molina (Frank Langella), is perfect in his role; especially in his reaction to the Brown's first selection. The main football character is Vontae Mack (Chadwick Boseman) who gets the biggest surprise of his life - because he was true; and because he was right. You'll want to cheer for him at the appropriate moment.

The character who doesn't fit is Ali (Jennifer Garner). Ali is never quite believable as a real part of this story. Part of this is due to the poor writing of her part, and the rest is because the lovely Garner is just not the right casting for this character. She's smart and pretty, but just doesn't come across as the tough, football junkie she claims to be. That's where this whole story breaks down.

Nevertheless, the movie is a good watch. You'll enjoy the characters, as well as the action (negotiations) as they play out through the storyline.

Go see this movie. Pay attention to the way Costner plays to his strengths; catch the power of Boseman's intensity (we need to see more of this guy!); enjoy Dennis Leary being, well, Dennis Leary; and ignore the ladies in this movie - they are there for window dressing; and that's too bad. The treatment of the womens' roles keeps this from being a great movie.
fantasyApr 13, 2014
Kevin Costner loves sports and that is obvious by the many sports movies he has selected in his career. This movie is just plain fun but totally by the numbers as it shows the gamesmanship in the War Rooms as General Manager's & CoachesKevin Costner loves sports and that is obvious by the many sports movies he has selected in his career. This movie is just plain fun but totally by the numbers as it shows the gamesmanship in the War Rooms as General Manager's & Coaches livelihood is affected by the decisions they make. The players are just pieces of meat with a certain shelf life. The sad part is everyone gets paid except the diehard fans who have to suffer with bad decisions by management and the players whose only purpose is to be a free agent mercenary.as in Show Me The Money. The higher they're drafted the more money and security they get. I wish I could say there was some suspense in the movie but the truth is you know what Kevin Costner is going to do 15 minutes into the movie. Diehard football fans will enjoy this. Anyone else not into pro football don't waste your time. As for the ending it is preposterous as no number seven pick is ever worth what they traded it for. The only thing better would have been to see how the players drafted turned out. Unfortunately, the movie ends with draft. Just another propaganda piece for the NFL. Expand
Lisa24Apr 15, 2014
I loved this movie too - and I'm pretty picky. It has a little bit of everything. It is charming and funny without being corny. You do not have to love sports to enjoy it. It is the perfect escape.
ledaumasApr 12, 2014
I loved this movie. We were picking a movie based on the time it started, therefore, we didn't pick this movie with any expectations. We didn't even know this was the first weekend out. It was great seeing the cities matched to their footballI loved this movie. We were picking a movie based on the time it started, therefore, we didn't pick this movie with any expectations. We didn't even know this was the first weekend out. It was great seeing the cities matched to their football stadiums to set up a scene along with the crazy sports fans who take everything so seriously. I also now know why other people get so excited about draft day. The movie explains in almost simple terms, how draft day goes about for those of us who don't know much about football. I don't mind the embellishments or improbability of some of the situations. After all, it's a movie, not a documentary. The basic facts of a draft day were presented in a very highly entertaining manner and that's why I go to movies. Expand
GreatMartinApr 11, 2014
WOW! I love being surprised in the movies! I am neither a Kevin Costner or a football fan and only went to see this movie because of the 3 new films opening today this was the closest and most convenient. I now like Kevin Costner who playsWOW! I love being surprised in the movies! I am neither a Kevin Costner or a football fan and only went to see this movie because of the 3 new films opening today this was the closest and most convenient. I now like Kevin Costner who plays the underdog , the general manager of the Cleveland Browns, Sonny Weaver, Jr., and though I still don’t like football I did learn what “Draft Day” is and some of how it works.

This is an excellent film about what goes on in the backroom of a big business and there are so many things to talk about the positives so in no particular order, and Costner’s performance a given and hoping he is remembered at awards time here we go.

The director, Ivan Reitman, and his director of photography Eric Steelberg, use a split screen technique that is used to a great advantage, in ways I haven’t seen before, and not overused. The screenplay, written by Rajiv Joseph and Scott Rothman, is sharp with many funny lines especially one by Jennifer Garner about football players and teams all desiring a piece of jewelry.

The acting from Garner, as Ali, Costner’s pregnant girlfriend who is one of the team’s financial executives, have two scenes in a storeroom that are very effective. With all the good acting by Ellen Burstyn as his mother, Frank Langella as his boss, Dennis Leary as the coach of the team, along with Josh Callahan, Chadwick, Tom Welling and Arian Foster as football players and pawns in the draft along with real life sports announcers, commissioners and former players add to the believable story and has you think ‘it is based on true story, but it isn’t.

One outstanding actor, among all these veterans, deserves his own paragraph is Griffin Newman as Rick the new intern for Ali. The writers gave him great lines and the director did a good job but Newman has an innate talent to put these lines over to bring smiles to your face.

Along with a moving love story, relationships stories and the football behind the scenes drama there is also the sparkling shots of the 7 or so cities and their football stadiums, a very neat and clean locker room, that gives a shine to what you know is a ‘dirty’ business.

Do yourself a favor and go see “Draft Day” that is an excellent film with very few ‘special effects’ to move it along.
phillytomApr 13, 2014
First a disclaimer, I am a "draftnick" therefore the subject matter was of interest; however, I believe NON National Football League oriented individuals could enjoy this movie. The drama that was generated kept the viewer looking for whereFirst a disclaimer, I am a "draftnick" therefore the subject matter was of interest; however, I believe NON National Football League oriented individuals could enjoy this movie. The drama that was generated kept the viewer looking for where and when "twists" would become part of the story. The actors were solid with no one going over the top. The involving of actual drafts and the excitement its creates for its rapid fans helps explain why a non-sport event generate so much interest and passion. The movie showed the depth of research that is done team's player selections, as well as, the pressure on the coaches, GMs, & owners. I recommend this movie for most viewers. Transformer/Marvel comics fans no way Expand
AlexanderLuthorSep 16, 2014
If you like sports movies, football, and Kevin Costner's style of acting/movie making, you will love this movie. I'm rather shocked by the poor ratings the film received as it delivers just what you'd expect.
ConjureDec 9, 2014
A very nice movie that was a change from what I have been watching. I enjoyed the pace of the movie and the intrigue set in it.

The actors were good but the movie could have had someone larger to play the role of the linebacker to make it more credible.

I do not know if the back room activities were realistic or not but I enjoyed them and Costner’s wheeling and dealing.

If you want to watch a good movie without sex or violence that keeps your attention and has a good ending by all means see Draft Day.
Movi3R3vi3werNov 27, 2014
The Moneyball of football movies and that's not a bad thing. Clearly Moneyball was the inspiration for Draft Day and while it's no where in the league of Moneyball I really enjoyed this movie. Kevin Costner is great in the lead role and it'sThe Moneyball of football movies and that's not a bad thing. Clearly Moneyball was the inspiration for Draft Day and while it's no where in the league of Moneyball I really enjoyed this movie. Kevin Costner is great in the lead role and it's great seeing him getting more acting roles. Expand
MonkiReviewsJun 22, 2017
I don't like watching sports usually, so this was a nice surprise. They acted great, and had very good characters. I don't know how realistic it was, so that is a small downside. It is worth a watch.