6.1

1. Sep 26, 2010
    I will give this movie and the positive reviews the benefit of the doubt and assume it was much better in theatres. However, I watched it on HBO and it was frustratingly bad. The dialogue was superficial, seemingly written just to string together the story in between the screaming and supernatural events throughout. From the moment the the old women appears on screen in that trying-too-hard-to-be-creepy garb, I predicted that she was going to curse the main character. Everything that happens to the main character after that is just confusing and random. Many of the disturbances that plague the main character are, of course, not pleasant, you would not want them to happen to you. BUT finding a scarf in your throat and having to pull it out is not that terrifying. This and many other similar things happen just as fillers.

The pace is ridiculous. The beginning is slow and drawn out yet it fails to establish an eerie vibe or build any suspense. When the random disturbances really start, they are almost non-stop until right before the ending. It is such overkill.

The CGI effects are too cheap and unrealistic to be scary but not obviously cheesy enough to be funny. Whether it was meant to be funny/ cheesy or realistic/ scary, it did not look intentional. The girl is being taunted by a cartoon shadow. Seriously.

The characters were total idiots with no substance. There is some random back story for the main character thrown in, more as a side note, toward the middle of the movie but it is irrelevant because that information is never really brought up again. She goes from young soft-spoken girl in business attire to flighty and confused to screeching one liners like "That's yours **** and I don't believe any of it. The boyfriend character is just there to react to the girl's changing behavior by brushing it off until he finally sees something himself and is proven wrong. Again, very original. I could go on and on. Seriously, it was insulting.
  2. Nov 5, 2010
    This f*****g movie is full of s**t i hate it, it's disgusting, I usually like horror movies but this one goes to far, it's awful, i have never given a movie this bad a review.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    How can any reasonable human being give this movie a good rating? I abhorred every second of Drag Me to Hell and despite admitting that it wasn’t badly made in terms of set design, cinematography, or editing, for example, it suffers from a director who can’t seem to decide if he wants to make a parody on horror movies or an actual horror movie and ends up making one of the hugest pieces of in recent years (I could, in fact, re-use all of these words when writing a review for The Cabin in the Woods, another outrageously overrated rubbish). Limiting himself to a PG-13 rating, Raimi at least spares the audience more atrociously surrealistic CGI gore effects, but the 3rd highest as well as lowest of MPAA classifications still leaves space for idiotic dialogs, shameless copying from other horror flicks, and blatant predictability. I’m not saying that I wasn’t frightened by parts of it, yet for most of the time, I was offended and disgusted by this ghastly made movie. Critics that call it ironic or even hilarious just have to be paid by Universal Pictures since there is no other valid explanation for entitling a movie ‘ironic’ when it obviously isn’t aware of how stupid it is. And now don’t come to me with “it’s only for the purpose of entertainment” besides all of that it’s still a dull and dreary movie that is laden with tons of clichés. Drag Me to Hell? Drag me out of the cinema! Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    A mediocre movie that pulls all of the same strings of bad, churned out American horror movies.

After seeing this movie featured on several lists of top horror movies, I figured this might be the next 'The Orphan' on a trend to change my mind about Hollywood and horror.

Instead what I got was cliches about 'foreign occult", mediums that for some reason, speak in Spanish, endless hot
    and cold moments trying to build suspense before breaking off into nothing, and of course, the flat, "twist" ending, which was predictable to me (always check the most important things twice, especially when they're wrapped up).

I'm more surprised by the positive ratings that this mediocre flick has received, though this may owe itself in no small part to the gradual slip of this industry, which thankfully I have missed.
  5. Aug 19, 2010
    Bank worker eyes Assistant Manager promotion, old woman comes in bank & begs not to be evicted, computer says no, old woman puts curse on bank worker, gets harebrained & farcical.
    Sam Raimi with his usual mix of comedy/horror but definitely without the charm that the Evil Dead films had.
    Cliched characters & plot, twist that you can see coming & ends up being more annoying than fun.
    The
    goat was pretty cool though. Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the only movie I have ever shut off half way through. It was the cheesiest, campiest, worst acted and laughably directed pile of fecal matter of a film I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. Wow - I cant believe people actually liked this awful excuse for a film. It makes me want to scream when characters act ridiculously to events that befall them. Spoiler Alert: Like Lohman's character the day after being viciously gummed and stabbing an old lady in the neck... "Maybe I should have given her an extension on that loan..." WHAT??? You stabbed an old witch in the neck!!!! Are you kidding me? The writers should have listen to this trash on continuous playback for all eternity. I can't imagine a worse hell. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really just disgusting and that's all that can be said about this horrible flick. The opening scene was bad, and usually, a movie doesn't get any better after that. The whole premise is fairly ridiculous to start out with. The main character obviously is a good person, why would she be cursed ? She had no control over the situation the old woman was in, and she was not responsible. The entire film is filled with senseless dialogue and actions that don't make any sense. It could be a comedy, a bad one, something like 'Revenge of the repossessed homeowner'... Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2011
    Kinda weird in my case to rate a negative score to a positive movie, anyway, expecting something scary isn't the right thing in here. Drag me too hell is stupid, and idiotically funny, i felt that it wasn't taking the main theme seriously, while it does some creepy sound effects, it isn't entertaining or tense as other Horror movies.
  9. Nov 30, 2011
    i cant believe this is critic acclaimed !!!first of all flying handkerchief ,possessed guy dancing around the table,talking goat,and so called cheap gross COMEDY is seriously not scary,waste of time and the lamest movie i've ever seen ever.this is the worst acclaimed movie ..they even call the ending a surprise and seriously just spell the movie and just be done with it.the only surprise and scary is how the rating is so high. Expand
  10. Jan 17, 2012
    It's a bad movie. Not in a good Sam Raimi way either. It is just boring and not serious scary or funny scary. It's an hour and 39 minutes long but feels a good 40 minutes longer. Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Sam Raimi and a crazy old gypsy woman....how did this go wrong.
  11. Mar 18, 2012
    I saw this movie when it came out, I expected it to be some what scary but i laughed at the parts where it was suppose to be scary. The things in this movie are just dumb. I watched this movie with a friend of mine at night at laughed the entire movie. The acting is bad, the lines are cheesy,and the plot is even more dumb. At one part she's getting attacked and for some reason she has an anvil tied to a string above the spot where her attacker is, and just happens to have an ice skate next to the rope. The end is the worst part of all. Expand
  12. Feb 25, 2012
    I truly love horror movies. I love many of them, The Shining, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Sixth Sense, Signs, Silence of the Lambs, ALL instant classics. When I heard about Drag Me To Hell I was super excited, rarely is there a horror movie with such great reviews. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed to say the least. This movie is so ridiculously over rated and not scary it hurt me to watch. I am baffled at how reviewers can speak so highly of it. It's truly one of the worst films I've ever seen, no part of it was good, the plot was mediocre, the 'intense' scenes weren't even mildly enjoyable, and the ending was abominable. As I read the other positive reviews I feel as if the reviewers and I watched two different films. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs unless you are extremely easily scared, or you just want something to make fun of for 90 minutes. Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2012
    This movie was so disgustingly bad that I had to create an account just to express the hate that grew throughout the movie. After reading what other critic said about this movie I had gained somewhat high expectations, what was left of them drowned in the useless **** ending that any 3 year old could have guessed from watching 3 seconds of that ****

I feel that this movie raped my life -
    I want my time back. Expand
  14. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie was quiet weird. It started off okay but in the final half and hour i don't know what happened. The movie went from high standard to worse than a syfy movie. The main character is completely unrealistic in her response to what is going on. Drag me to hell is complete crap and the movie made me wishing i was being dragged to hell while watching this so called horror film.
  15. Aug 27, 2012
    I am truely in disarray at what the critics thought was so great about this film. It was the furthest thing from scary, and the so called funny moments where unrecognizable. Boring and pretty stupid overall.
  16. Mar 18, 2013
    This movie could only scare me if I was 5 years old, and they would force me to watch this movie in a forest at midnight. The problem is that I am an adult, thus this movie just stinks to me. Bad story, no tension etc... Avoid it...
  17. May 25, 2013
    I gave up on this movie 1 hour in.. Horribly boring and predictable movie. Really one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Not a single scary moment, just a ridiculous amount of pathetic attempts.. And really? A goat that yells out Really?... :S This movie is pure crap. The lead actress was not convincing at all. I want my hour back...
  18. Feb 9, 2013
    I cant believe that anyone could rate it more than 3 but it seems that critics watch it from other dimensions this is one of worst movie that I ever see and it make worse that it 's from one of my favorite directors
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand why critics liked this movie. It's awful. It is really predictable, the talking ship and the gyspsy lady are ridicously hillarious and I'm not sure if this film was comedy or horror movie. Do a favour to you selfs, don't watch that film 4/10 for the actors which were ok Expand
  20. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give it a 1 because the old woman without dentures french kissing the protagonist and, why not, sharing large amounts of corporal liquids while at it, is legitimately horrifying.

Beside that, the film it's just awful. Every character it's a prick. The protagonist seems almost human, until she goes and slice her little kitten in a lame attempt to stop her curse. Despite that, she seems outraged when the mediums gets ready to do the same to a random goat.

Then what else we got... conveniently hanging anvils, Kalinka dancing possessed mediums, and dying old hags with a terminator stamina and a liking for young blond chicks mouth rape. And in all this, I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be funny, scary, or both, and maybe this is the biggest fault of this movie.

Then, an envelope containing the crucial item for the protagonist survival gets lost in a bunch of random papers, and when she finds it she doesn't check if it's actually the right envelope... I wonder what this will lead to.
    Really, one of the most awful film I've ever seen.
  21. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Drag Me to Hell: 4 out of 10: Great another movie that achieved universal critical acclaim that I did not enjoy. Oh make matters worse it is a horror film (which almost never achieves universal acclaim and which I love) and is by director Sam Raimi whom I genuinely enjoy.

Drag me to Hell is all about gypsy curses. In the tradition of the superior Thinner and Buffy the Vampire Slayer our heroine Alison Lohman is a bank manager who turns down a third extension on an old gypsy’s house mortgage causing her to lose the home.. (Lohman is eyeing a promotion and her boss told her to be tough) The Gypsy in question attacks Lohman (in the films best scene) and then places a curse on her. She has three days to get rid of the curse or she will literally be dragged to hell.

In those three days, the demon in question will torment Lohman, so far so good. Then the movie falls of the rails. Lohman does something so horrific and unnecessary to get rid of the curse she becomes a Black Hat extraordinaire. Now a twist like that certainly can work if the film acknowledges it, but Raimi keeps his cards too close to the vest.

It quickly comes apparent that Lohman, despite acting as a younger, blonder, more innocent Kirsten Dunst, is the most evil thing in the film. The film simply does not really pull this switcheroo off or may not even realize it on some level.

The main fault lies with the lead performance of Alison Lohman who seems to skip through the movie with one confused expression, another confused expression and a decent scream. Raimi knows his buttons too well and fixates on violating the chaste Loman’s mouth with flies, maggots, blood, fists, entire arms, and in the most disgusting thing ever; an old ladies mouth without her dentures.

Loman cannot pull off a fun evil so instead she is more the brain-dead banal evil. This is a role that requires a Linda Ferrentino style touch. I simply do not think Loman had the chops for the role.

The films tone is strange as well. Many scenes are clearly tongue in cheek (a giant anvil held by a rope for instance) but others are so horrific (The aforementioned horrible act that shall not be named) that it takes one out of the story.

The rest of the cast is decent with Justin Long giving a particularly strong performance as the really nice guy with the evil girlfriend from hell. (Well going to hell... you know what I mean.) Long is best known as the Apple guy and the film keeps sticking him in front of Apple product placements handicapping his effectiveness.

There is also some strangely bad CGI in the mix. While Raimi really knows how to push the gross-out buttons and the jump scares, he would have been better off with some old school effects.

Overall I am beyond disappointed. Nevertheless, I guess once again I will be that guy who didn’t like the film everyone else loved. It is “Rushmore” all over again.

Thrilling and often hilarious, it’s good to see one of Hollywood’s most inventive directors fully reinvigorated. On this form, Spider-Man 4 should be a belter.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    The picture is single-mindedly devoted to pushing the audience's buttons, and who better than Raimi to do the honors?
  3. Raimi's still very much up to his old tricks, retaining that deliriously over-the-top brand of Grand Guignol horror that he had abandoned by the mid-'90s in pursuit of other genres.