Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 29, 2009
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 852 Ratings
WATCH NOW
grandpajoe6191Sep 19, 2011
The movie tried to make it look itself as "Evil Dead"; With poor CG and weak character development, Sam Raimi's "Drag me to Hell" is a movie way cheesier than that.
GrahamRNov 15, 2009
I was really looking forward to this and it was such a big let down! It was watchable as a one-off, but I wouldn't watch it again. It was far more funny than scary. The ending was so obvious, my wife and I knew it was coming and so did I was really looking forward to this and it was such a big let down! It was watchable as a one-off, but I wouldn't watch it again. It was far more funny than scary. The ending was so obvious, my wife and I knew it was coming and so did everyone else in the cinema. I have seen worse, but this was very poor. Expand
3 of 7 users found this helpful
gurufabbesJan 12, 2014
A mediocre movie that pulls all of the same strings of bad, churned out American horror movies.

After seeing this movie featured on several lists of top horror movies, I figured this might be the next 'The Orphan' on a trend to change my mind about Hollywood and horror.

Instead what I got was cliches about 'foreign occult", mediums that for some reason, speak in Spanish, endless hot and cold moments trying to build suspense before breaking off into nothing, and of course, the flat, "twist" ending, which was predictable to me (always check the most important things twice, especially when they're wrapped up).

I'm more surprised by the positive ratings that this mediocre flick has received, though this may owe itself in no small part to the gradual slip of this industry, which thankfully I have missed.
YNREDec 26, 2012
Definitely not a bad movie. Its more funny than scary. The acting isnt too good but that doesnt take away from the movie entirely.
They couldve added a little more though, some scenes feel kinda empty.
Overall, a pretty good movie. Funny,
They couldve added a little more though, some scenes feel kinda empty.
Overall, a pretty good movie. Funny, slightly smart, and scary.
NelsonMOct 20, 2009
I've been looking forward to seeing this movie after reading so many good reviews and I have come to the conclusion never to read reviews again as I think reviews are based on excellent marketing concepts. The movie was not scary at I've been looking forward to seeing this movie after reading so many good reviews and I have come to the conclusion never to read reviews again as I think reviews are based on excellent marketing concepts. The movie was not scary at all, the special effects could have been much better. the storyline was not boring and i regard this movie as a teenager fantasy horror good to watch as a Sunday afternoon show with popcorn. If you want to see a good horror that scares you, don't watch this! Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
MikeG.Jun 19, 2009
83? This movie was just OK-some thrills, some laughs, a few gross out moments, and the obligatory twist ending that you can see coming like a train. Rent-don't buy- the DVD in 3 months.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ERG1008Aug 19, 2010
Bank worker eyes Assistant Manager promotion, old woman comes in bank & begs not to be evicted, computer says no, old woman puts curse on bank worker, gets harebrained & farcical.
Sam Raimi with his usual mix of comedy/horror but definitely
Sam Raimi with his usual mix of comedy/horror but definitely without the charm that the Evil Dead films had.
Cliched characters & plot, twist that you can see coming & ends up being more annoying than fun.
The goat was pretty cool though.
banditoflivesMay 6, 2011
This movie was full of unnecessary gross scenes. Scary, no. Will it make you jump? Yes. Overall it was okay, I finished watching it. But the plot was not very original and very predictable. I would not recommended this movie to anyone.This movie was full of unnecessary gross scenes. Scary, no. Will it make you jump? Yes. Overall it was okay, I finished watching it. But the plot was not very original and very predictable. I would not recommended this movie to anyone. I don't know if i saw the same movie as the critics... Expand
aaronpaul121May 24, 2012
An average film that has weird acting, disturbing scenes, crazy demons, great plot and some scary moments.....
BrandonBonaseraJan 4, 2013
Drag Me to Hell is a fun, campy and silly film, but it seems that laughs seem to be more important than scares in this film and is often predictable at times. Overall, Raimi's long-awaited return to horror may be entertaining but it lacksDrag Me to Hell is a fun, campy and silly film, but it seems that laughs seem to be more important than scares in this film and is often predictable at times. Overall, Raimi's long-awaited return to horror may be entertaining but it lacks horror and provides a laughs rather than scares. Expand
oliver1hMar 18, 2013
This movie could only scare me if I was 5 years old, and they would force me to watch this movie in a forest at midnight. The problem is that I am an adult, thus this movie just stinks to me. Bad story, no tension etc... Avoid it...
KivaJun 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand why critics liked this movie. It's awful. It is really predictable, the talking ship and the gyspsy lady are ridicously hillarious and I'm not sure if this film was comedy or horror movie. Do a favour to you selfs, don't watch that film 4/10 for the actors which were ok Expand
juliankennedy23Jul 23, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Drag Me to Hell: 4 out of 10: Great another movie that achieved universal critical acclaim that I did not enjoy. Oh make matters worse it is a horror film (which almost never achieves universal acclaim and which I love) and is by director Sam Raimi whom I genuinely enjoy.

Drag me to Hell is all about gypsy curses. In the tradition of the superior Thinner and Buffy the Vampire Slayer our heroine Alison Lohman is a bank manager who turns down a third extension on an old gypsy’s house mortgage causing her to lose the home.. (Lohman is eyeing a promotion and her boss told her to be tough) The Gypsy in question attacks Lohman (in the films best scene) and then places a curse on her. She has three days to get rid of the curse or she will literally be dragged to hell.

In those three days, the demon in question will torment Lohman, so far so good. Then the movie falls of the rails. Lohman does something so horrific and unnecessary to get rid of the curse she becomes a Black Hat extraordinaire. Now a twist like that certainly can work if the film acknowledges it, but Raimi keeps his cards too close to the vest.

It quickly comes apparent that Lohman, despite acting as a younger, blonder, more innocent Kirsten Dunst, is the most evil thing in the film. The film simply does not really pull this switcheroo off or may not even realize it on some level.

The main fault lies with the lead performance of Alison Lohman who seems to skip through the movie with one confused expression, another confused expression and a decent scream. Raimi knows his buttons too well and fixates on violating the chaste Loman’s mouth with flies, maggots, blood, fists, entire arms, and in the most disgusting thing ever; an old ladies mouth without her dentures.

Loman cannot pull off a fun evil so instead she is more the brain-dead banal evil. This is a role that requires a Linda Ferrentino style touch. I simply do not think Loman had the chops for the role.

The films tone is strange as well. Many scenes are clearly tongue in cheek (a giant anvil held by a rope for instance) but others are so horrific (The aforementioned horrible act that shall not be named) that it takes one out of the story.

The rest of the cast is decent with Justin Long giving a particularly strong performance as the really nice guy with the evil girlfriend from hell. (Well going to hell... you know what I mean.) Long is best known as the Apple guy and the film keeps sticking him in front of Apple product placements handicapping his effectiveness.

There is also some strangely bad CGI in the mix. While Raimi really knows how to push the gross-out buttons and the jump scares, he would have been better off with some old school effects.

Overall I am beyond disappointed. Nevertheless, I guess once again I will be that guy who didn’t like the film everyone else loved. It is “Rushmore” all over again.
JasonC.Aug 10, 2009
It's a reflection of the sad state of horror films when B-grade mediocrity is rewarded with critical acclaim. Interesting story but so poorly written and acted that it quickly becomes a yawnfest as you kill time waiting for the It's a reflection of the sad state of horror films when B-grade mediocrity is rewarded with critical acclaim. Interesting story but so poorly written and acted that it quickly becomes a yawnfest as you kill time waiting for the inevitable 'twist' at the end. No real scares or thrills to be had here...boring, predictable shlock. Expand
JayHOct 8, 2009
This is a pretty cool horror movie, good performances, especially from Alison Lohman (who reminds me a lot of Amy Adams). Good special effects, suspenseful and plenty of gore for those who like that sort of thing.
VolkerM.May 31, 2009
Let's face it: this is nothing more than an extended episode of "Tales of the Crypt": too supernatural to be really scary, too wacky to instill truly deep-seated fear. With nobody to emphasize with and no relevant subtext to discover, I Let's face it: this is nothing more than an extended episode of "Tales of the Crypt": too supernatural to be really scary, too wacky to instill truly deep-seated fear. With nobody to emphasize with and no relevant subtext to discover, I was just left waiting to see, what will happen next... also: the racial type casting is worrisome. Expand
paulMay 31, 2009
Over rated. A movie that attepts to get scares by being loud. Loud music, Loud weird noises, Loud screams, Just loud, sloppy. I would not recommend for anyone over the age of 16.
ClayTJun 1, 2009
Despite what you're hearing from everyone this movie is just ok. Yes, there are some hilarious moments but the movie is never really scary. I didn't feel like I wasted my money, but I wanted more than what I got.
DemI.Jul 7, 2009
You just can't give a damn about what happens to the main character. The cursing has an arbitrary cause, the girl isn't really that good, and she is mind numbingly stupid.
JeffROct 16, 2009
Pretty bad movie.
RyanMc.Oct 17, 2009
More of an homage to a seldom seen horror genre gone. Entertaining, but rather ridiculous and campy at times. I found the story to be predictable and timing to be sporadic. Nice break from the torture, capture genre you see so much now, but More of an homage to a seldom seen horror genre gone. Entertaining, but rather ridiculous and campy at times. I found the story to be predictable and timing to be sporadic. Nice break from the torture, capture genre you see so much now, but nothing close to scary or a masterpiece. Expand
PaulTOct 17, 2009
Wanted to like it, and maybe that was my problem. I was disapionted. But I think I was expecting a return to evil dead 2, It is a high standard to meet afterall.
KristianA.May 29, 2009
Honestly, this wasn't scary. It was suspenseful, but not scary. The CGI was terrible, and the acting was alright. What was terrible though, is that they went to some fortune teller, payed him $ 10 000, only to be killed. I don't Honestly, this wasn't scary. It was suspenseful, but not scary. The CGI was terrible, and the acting was alright. What was terrible though, is that they went to some fortune teller, payed him $ 10 000, only to be killed. I don't think they understand that going to the Church, and asking cleansing from a Priest, and GOD, would've actually done something, for FREE. Expand
KennethAMay 31, 2009
(Major spoilers in my comments). This movie does something that really upset me as a life-long, dedicated cat-lover. Told that killing a small animal may remove the gypsy's curse on her, the protagonist goes home, murders her kitten, (Major spoilers in my comments). This movie does something that really upset me as a life-long, dedicated cat-lover. Told that killing a small animal may remove the gypsy's curse on her, the protagonist goes home, murders her kitten, and buries it in the garden. I was upset for the rest of the movie. As far as I was concerned, getting dragged off to hell is exactly what she deserved. Expand
JoeDJun 3, 2009
Best horror film since the exorcist? Are these people on crack? Not scary at all. The audience was laughing throughout the whole movie. It tries to scare you by having loud things jump out at you, like a hankerchief pressing up against the Best horror film since the exorcist? Are these people on crack? Not scary at all. The audience was laughing throughout the whole movie. It tries to scare you by having loud things jump out at you, like a hankerchief pressing up against the car windshield, and the loud music goes BOOM and the character screams, and it makes you jump because it was so loud. That's the kind of crap we've been crucifying movies like The Grudge for doing. Expand
DaveBJun 6, 2009
I went to this movie sctrictly on the high score and the many good reviews. I thought it would be a good one. It was just ok and really short of my expectations. At times it was funny, other times a bit tense, some parts were slightly scary, I went to this movie sctrictly on the high score and the many good reviews. I thought it would be a good one. It was just ok and really short of my expectations. At times it was funny, other times a bit tense, some parts were slightly scary, but not really frightening at any point in the movie. It had a great fight scene with an old gypsy, who would have thought they were so tough. Overall the movie was a bit disappointing but a good one to see if you have seen all the other blockbusters. Expand
t.m.Jul 5, 2009
[***SPOILER ALERT***] I would have given "DMTH" a 9 or 10, but I was very upset at the gratuitous and completely unnecessary "kitten sacrifice", and the ending, which I hated. I sat through 20 minutes or so of fake endings just for the [***SPOILER ALERT***] I would have given "DMTH" a 9 or 10, but I was very upset at the gratuitous and completely unnecessary "kitten sacrifice", and the ending, which I hated. I sat through 20 minutes or so of fake endings just for the pointless twist-for-twist's sake at the very end. If it weren't for those two major issues I would have really liked or loved this movie. Expand
EL.Jul 7, 2009
I usually follow the ratings on Metacritic and find it a good indication of a movie's quality. But come on....83! This movie was very tame. The horror was tame, the humour was tame. An example being the green goo that came out of the I usually follow the ratings on Metacritic and find it a good indication of a movie's quality. But come on....83! This movie was very tame. The horror was tame, the humour was tame. An example being the green goo that came out of the woman's mouth the whole time - was it supposed to be funny or gruesome?! It just seemed embarrassingly childish. I love horror movies but this was poor. The ending was so so so lame. I got a great kick out of watching The Grudge in the cinema. I was hoping this movie would do the same. And to think you guys rated The Grudge so poorly compared to this. Disappointing. Not sure if I'll follow the good score/ratings so blindly from now on. Expand
AndrewNov 1, 2009
If you watch this movie expecting it to be scary, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting campy gory comedy, you'll be moderately amused.
ZachridW.Oct 17, 2009
From the first moment the scary old gypsy-woman appears on screen, you can tell it is a "Sam Raimi"-Film, the FX, the style, the funny-scary or even "cartoonish" moments, a lot will remind the viewer of the "Evil Dead"-Trilogy. But that From the first moment the scary old gypsy-woman appears on screen, you can tell it is a "Sam Raimi"-Film, the FX, the style, the funny-scary or even "cartoonish" moments, a lot will remind the viewer of the "Evil Dead"-Trilogy. But that isn't enough to make a good movie, in fact it feels totally misplaced here, all the "over the top" scary-things that happen around Christine are neither really scary nor really funny, because the story and her character doesn't match the tone of the "Evil-Deadish" Special-Effects. It's a treat for fans of the Evil Dead Series, but besides that just average. Expand
DalinNMay 29, 2009
What a pack of crap! Terrible CGI, poor laughs, generally quite cheap. Whatever the reviewers say, don't buy into it.