6.1

1. Jun 27, 2011
    Drag Me to Hell is a perfect example of why CRITICS know what the hell (pun intended) they're talking about. This is one of those rare instances where the critics are the ones who praise a film (I mean, holy crap ... this film has like a 96% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes) while the general public completely pans it. Guess what? After seeing this film, I can definitely say without a shadow of a doubt that all of the critics are absolutely, 100% correct. This is easily one of the greatest horror-thrillers of all time, the scariest horror-thriller of all time, and by far the most well-directed horror-thriller of all time. It's amazing how many people claimed that this film wasn't "scary" at all, when in fact they were probably wetting their damn pants everytime something popped out out of nowhere after the misdirection/suspenseful build-up that happens throughout the entire movie. Cheap? Maybe. Does it work? Absolutely. This film now ties with The Mist as being my two favorite horror-thrillers of all time. A great example of why critics are the only ones who should be making any comments about anything. Critics and myself, one of the few people who aren't a bunch of stupid morons who wouldn't know "good" from "bad" if their damn soul depended on it (another intended pun). Nearly ten major critics (from Entertainment Weekly to the Washington Post) gave this film a PERFECT score. Personally, I wouldn't give it higher than a 90/100 or a 9.0 out of 10 ... but it really sickens me to read what many of the movie-goers have said about this film. All those comments have done is prove just how stupid most people really are. The critics have it ... everyone else, kindly STFU

It's interesting how a lot of people (and I don't just mean on here) claim that this film wasn't the least bit scary ... and then they turn right around and admit that there were plenty of "jump scares" (which I guess is the term people are using) throughout. Okay ... so if suspenseful music/tension and misdirection leading to an inevitable, shocking "scare" isn't what "scary" is, then I'd really like to know what IS.

Of all of the horror thrillers I've seen in the last decade or so (1408, The Mist, The Others, Skeleton Key, The Descent, The Ring, 28 Weeks Later, Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of Wax, etc., (too many more to name ... those are just off the top of my head)), Drag Me to Hell is BY FAR the scariest. If this film doesn't qualify as being "scary," then I really don't know what else in the entire damn world would qualify as such, because every single one of those other movies I just named (and pretty much every horror film ever, especially slasher-types) watch like the Care Bears movie compared to Drag Me to Hell.

Honestly, do people even THINK before they post reviews on sites like IMDB and Metacritic?

Yes, the movie IS full of cheap, "misdirect and then jump out at you" shock-scares ... that's what SCARY IS!

Of course, as with all horror thrillers, how "scary" it happens to be really depends on how, where, and when you watch it. For instance, if you watched this film with other people around during the daytime ... or even in a movie theater surrounded by other people, then it probably wouldn't come off that scary at all. I, on the other hand, watched this film by myself, in a dark room, in the middle of the night. Big difference. I actually considered closing my eyes at one point, but then I realized that the scares would have been even worse, as the loud, out-of-nowhere SOUNDS in this film are half the scare. At least with my eyes open I could see the nasty, crusty, hag of an old woman pop out out of nowhere and be expecting the loud-ass shriek that accompanies it.

It's one thing to NOT like the film, but to actually say that this movie wasn't scary is just plain ridiculous and stems from pure bias and spite. Because I can think of no other horror thriller in the last decade or two that even compares in terms of sheer fright and tension. If Drag Me to Hell isn't scary, then nothing in the world of cinema is. I pretty much cringed for the entire 100 minutes.

And yeah, there are still people who classify this as part "comedy," but until Sam Raimi himself openly says that (which he has NOT), I call bull. The fact of the matter is, a "comedic" horror film would be quite obvious in its tone and atmosphere. I've seen "comedic" horror films before, and this watches nothing like those. This was a film that took its plot very seriously,where exactly did it say "spoof" or "parody" to you? Drag Me to Hell was tense and unnerving the entire time. If you laughed during this, then that's something to get checked out. Because there was nothing even remotely funny about this movie. Disgusting, shocking, and terrifying? Yes.

Bottomline is, most horror thrillers slightly entertain but do not end up impressing me much. This one shocked me to the core.
  2. Nov 22, 2010
    This is probably one of the scariest best directed and produced horror film in years. Sam Raimi has finally directed something worth seeing over and over again. The characters are so developed, intense scenes that I will never forget, and just pure fun. That description I can't say for many horror movies and it might not have been the scariest, but I give props for a developed story that wasn't cheesy, and Lorna Raver playing the evil Mrs. Ganush. It was a smart horror movie; that is uncommon for the horror genre. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    The movie tried to make it look itself as "Evil Dead"; With poor CG and weak character development, Sam Raimi's "Drag me to Hell" is a movie way cheesier than that.
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Drag Me To Hell is one of my favourite horrors. Well, it is partially a comedy, too, but it can get pretty scary at times.
    I just love the fact that it's not the usual stupid horror: full of gore and nothing behind it. Drag Me To Hell has a compelling and very interesting story, some good acting and it just a straight-out good film. Definitely high entertainment value and I'd recommend
    anyone who likes good horrors to watch it. Yes, it is funny sometimes, but what's wrong with that? Can't a horror be also funny?! Definitely a great surprise of a film! Expand
  5. Sep 26, 2010
    I will give this movie and the positive reviews the benefit of the doubt and assume it was much better in theatres. However, I watched it on HBO and it was frustratingly bad. The dialogue was superficial, seemingly written just to string together the story in between the screaming and supernatural events throughout. From the moment the the old women appears on screen in that trying-too-hard-to-be-creepy garb, I predicted that she was going to curse the main character. Everything that happens to the main character after that is just confusing and random. Many of the disturbances that plague the main character are, of course, not pleasant, you would not want them to happen to you. BUT finding a scarf in your throat and having to pull it out is not that terrifying. This and many other similar things happen just as fillers.

The pace is ridiculous. The beginning is slow and drawn out yet it fails to establish an eerie vibe or build any suspense. When the random disturbances really start, they are almost non-stop until right before the ending. It is such overkill.

The CGI effects are too cheap and unrealistic to be scary but not obviously cheesy enough to be funny. Whether it was meant to be funny/ cheesy or realistic/ scary, it did not look intentional. The girl is being taunted by a cartoon shadow. Seriously.

The characters were total idiots with no substance. There is some random back story for the main character thrown in, more as a side note, toward the middle of the movie but it is irrelevant because that information is never really brought up again. She goes from young soft-spoken girl in business attire to flighty and confused to screeching one liners like "That's yours **** and I don't believe any of it. The boyfriend character is just there to react to the girl's changing behavior by brushing it off until he finally sees something himself and is proven wrong. Again, very original. I could go on and on. Seriously, it was insulting.
  6. Nov 5, 2010
    This f*****g movie is full of s**t i hate it, it's disgusting, I usually like horror movies but this one goes to far, it's awful, i have never given a movie this bad a review.
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    How can any reasonable human being give this movie a good rating? I abhorred every second of Drag Me to Hell and despite admitting that it wasn’t badly made in terms of set design, cinematography, or editing, for example, it suffers from a director who can’t seem to decide if he wants to make a parody on horror movies or an actual horror movie and ends up making one of the hugest pieces of in recent years (I could, in fact, re-use all of these words when writing a review for The Cabin in the Woods, another outrageously overrated rubbish). Limiting himself to a PG-13 rating, Raimi at least spares the audience more atrociously surrealistic CGI gore effects, but the 3rd highest as well as lowest of MPAA classifications still leaves space for idiotic dialogs, shameless copying from other horror flicks, and blatant predictability. I’m not saying that I wasn’t frightened by parts of it, yet for most of the time, I was offended and disgusted by this ghastly made movie. Critics that call it ironic or even hilarious just have to be paid by Universal Pictures since there is no other valid explanation for entitling a movie ‘ironic’ when it obviously isn’t aware of how stupid it is. And now don’t come to me with “it’s only for the purpose of entertainment” besides all of that it’s still a dull and dreary movie that is laden with tons of clichés. Drag Me to Hell? Drag me out of the cinema! Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    Raimi has made the most crazy, fun, and terrifying horror movie in years. its the most amazing horror movie you will see! the cast leads stellar perfomances in their roles.
  9. Jan 12, 2014
    A mediocre movie that pulls all of the same strings of bad, churned out American horror movies.

After seeing this movie featured on several lists of top horror movies, I figured this might be the next 'The Orphan' on a trend to change my mind about Hollywood and horror.

Instead what I got was cliches about 'foreign occult", mediums that for some reason, speak in Spanish, endless hot
    and cold moments trying to build suspense before breaking off into nothing, and of course, the flat, "twist" ending, which was predictable to me (always check the most important things twice, especially when they're wrapped up).

I'm more surprised by the positive ratings that this mediocre flick has received, though this may owe itself in no small part to the gradual slip of this industry, which thankfully I have missed.
  10. Jun 2, 2012
    It's scary, shocking, and excellently made. I felt a different type of fear while watching this. It's not your typical monster or possesion fright-fest. With the exception of a few CG effects, everything works rather well and really creates a sense of dread and suspense. One of the better horror movies I've seen in a while. You might not want to watch it alone, or before going to bed.
  11. Nov 29, 2010
    This movie was advertised as a scary jump out of your seat horror movie. I feel bad for those of you that wanted to o see another jumpy crappy predictable horror film, but for anyone who is a true fan of film and are familiar with Raimi's earlier works (the Evil Dead series in particular) then you should have expected what you got. To me this movie was great it had moments where it scared you but it also had moments that made me cry from laughing. Guys it's supposed to be cheesy, that's his style and I find Drag Me to Hell to be the most original horror film in some time. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 was because of the false advertising. Expand
  12. Aug 19, 2010
    Bank worker eyes Assistant Manager promotion, old woman comes in bank & begs not to be evicted, computer says no, old woman puts curse on bank worker, gets harebrained & farcical.
    Sam Raimi with his usual mix of comedy/horror but definitely without the charm that the Evil Dead films had.
    Cliched characters & plot, twist that you can see coming & ends up being more annoying than fun.
    The
    goat was pretty cool though. Expand
  13. Oct 28, 2010
    This movie seems kinda like a mocking spin on the traditional horror movies we are use to in this day and age. The parts that were meant to be scary were scary with a little twist of humour. It was very entertaining and didn't feel like a complete waste of my time. So if you want a slightly cheesy, scary, and kinda funny horror movie pick this up.
  14. May 6, 2011
    This movie was full of unnecessary gross scenes. Scary, no. Will it make you jump? Yes. Overall it was okay, I finished watching it. But the plot was not very original and very predictable. I would not recommended this movie to anyone. I don't know if i saw the same movie as the critics...
  15. Nov 3, 2010
    Drag me to Hell is certainly a mixed movie. I went in expecting a horror movie and was greatly disappointed however what I watched was an incredibly hilarious, gory and downright stupid movie. It's not bad in any way, it was just marketed as a true horror. Drag me to Hell is actually a B horror movie, those movies that try to scare you but are so bad their good. It was a original, funny, had those "jump" moments that would scare and tension. In the end it was brilliant, I think the reason it had so many bad reviews is because people see it as a normal horror movie, and not a "B Horror" movie.

It's a watch.
  16. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the only movie I have ever shut off half way through. It was the cheesiest, campiest, worst acted and laughably directed pile of fecal matter of a film I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. Wow - I cant believe people actually liked this awful excuse for a film. It makes me want to scream when characters act ridiculously to events that befall them. Spoiler Alert: Like Lohman's character the day after being viciously gummed and stabbing an old lady in the neck... "Maybe I should have given her an extension on that loan..." WHAT??? You stabbed an old witch in the neck!!!! Are you kidding me? The writers should have listen to this trash on continuous playback for all eternity. I can't imagine a worse hell. Expand
  17. Jul 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really just disgusting and that's all that can be said about this horrible flick. The opening scene was bad, and usually, a movie doesn't get any better after that. The whole premise is fairly ridiculous to start out with. The main character obviously is a good person, why would she be cursed ? She had no control over the situation the old woman was in, and she was not responsible. The entire film is filled with senseless dialogue and actions that don't make any sense. It could be a comedy, a bad one, something like 'Revenge of the repossessed homeowner'... Expand
  18. Apr 6, 2011
    I saw this movie in theaters when it came out so my memory is a bit rusty... But after seeing the high score this got i have to call BS... first off the Gypsy woman put a curse on her... after not 1... not 2 but 3 house extensions and curses the girl in the film because she can't pay for her damn house and its the one time the girl decides to deny someone on a loan.... seriously this movie was down right horrible and deserves about a 4... it wasn't scary and was barely even funny just a poorly written story Expand
  19. Jul 22, 2011
    Kinda weird in my case to rate a negative score to a positive movie, anyway, expecting something scary isn't the right thing in here. Drag me too hell is stupid, and idiotically funny, i felt that it wasn't taking the main theme seriously, while it does some creepy sound effects, it isn't entertaining or tense as other Horror movies.
  20. May 24, 2012
    An average film that has weird acting, disturbing scenes, crazy demons, great plot and some scary moments.....
  21. May 26, 2011
    This is the best horror flick I have seen in a while, and that is saying something, since I hardly watch horror at all (I get scared REALLY easily). A ton of moments made me go "eww" and "O_O", and those are reactions you are supposed to get in a good horror movie. Also, I was TOTALLY not expecting the ending.
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Supernatural horror with here-and-there touches of satire is an irresistible modern Halloween pick.

Sam Raimiâ
  23. Aug 10, 2011
    This is undoubtedly the best horror movie of the decade. I really was surprised when I read so many good reviews because I was absolutely convinced it would be the kind horror fans would praise but critics taunt... it was just the reverse. This shocked me. If you really appreciate horror movies, it's completely impossible this being a letdown.
  24. Oct 16, 2011
    I cannot understand why people didn't like this film. Ok, it is kind of trash but "Drag me to Hell" is overall entertaining and filled with something that current horror films are missing: a good script
  25. Jan 4, 2013
    Drag Me to Hell is a fun, campy and silly film, but it seems that laughs seem to be more important than scares in this film and is often predictable at times. Overall, Raimi's long-awaited return to horror may be entertaining but it lacks horror and provides a laughs rather than scares.
  26. Nov 30, 2011
    i cant believe this is critic acclaimed !!!first of all flying handkerchief ,possessed guy dancing around the table,talking goat,and so called cheap gross COMEDY is seriously not scary,waste of time and the lamest movie i've ever seen ever.this is the worst acclaimed movie ..they even call the ending a surprise and seriously just spell the movie and just be done with it.the only surprise and scary is how the rating is so high. Expand
  27. Jan 17, 2012
    It's a bad movie. Not in a good Sam Raimi way either. It is just boring and not serious scary or funny scary. It's an hour and 39 minutes long but feels a good 40 minutes longer. Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Sam Raimi and a crazy old gypsy woman....how did this go wrong.
  28. Mar 18, 2012
    I saw this movie when it came out, I expected it to be some what scary but i laughed at the parts where it was suppose to be scary. The things in this movie are just dumb. I watched this movie with a friend of mine at night at laughed the entire movie. The acting is bad, the lines are cheesy,and the plot is even more dumb. At one part she's getting attacked and for some reason she has an anvil tied to a string above the spot where her attacker is, and just happens to have an ice skate next to the rope. The end is the worst part of all. Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2012
    I truly love horror movies. I love many of them, The Shining, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Sixth Sense, Signs, Silence of the Lambs, ALL instant classics. When I heard about Drag Me To Hell I was super excited, rarely is there a horror movie with such great reviews. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed to say the least. This movie is so ridiculously over rated and not scary it hurt me to watch. I am baffled at how reviewers can speak so highly of it. It's truly one of the worst films I've ever seen, no part of it was good, the plot was mediocre, the 'intense' scenes weren't even mildly enjoyable, and the ending was abominable. As I read the other positive reviews I feel as if the reviewers and I watched two different films. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs unless you are extremely easily scared, or you just want something to make fun of for 90 minutes. Expand
  30. Mar 23, 2012
    This movie was so disgustingly bad that I had to create an account just to express the hate that grew throughout the movie. After reading what other critic said about this movie I had gained somewhat high expectations, what was left of them drowned in the useless **** ending that any 3 year old could have guessed from watching 3 seconds of that ****

I feel that this movie raped my life -
    I want my time back. Expand
  31. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie was quiet weird. It started off okay but in the final half and hour i don't know what happened. The movie went from high standard to worse than a syfy movie. The main character is completely unrealistic in her response to what is going on. Drag me to hell is complete crap and the movie made me wishing i was being dragged to hell while watching this so called horror film.
  32. Aug 27, 2012
    I am truely in disarray at what the critics thought was so great about this film. It was the furthest thing from scary, and the so called funny moments where unrecognizable. Boring and pretty stupid overall.
  33. Aug 25, 2012
    This is a hilarious film which is also scary in the right places. Sam Raimi knows what he is doing in the horror genre and I am glad that the film doesn't take itself too seriously. It has a clever plot with a slightly predictable twist but all in all everything works in Drag Me to Hell.
  34. Aug 17, 2012
    drag me to hell is a movie who have seen and understand raimi movies because his style is just not like any other.his movies reach such acclaim because they try to make a point on the current status of the horror genre and he makes light of it. his best example of this is the evil dead 2. it delivers an amount of cheese that reminds me of his older movies. this movie is intentionally all cheese
  35. Mar 18, 2013
    This movie could only scare me if I was 5 years old, and they would force me to watch this movie in a forest at midnight. The problem is that I am an adult, thus this movie just stinks to me. Bad story, no tension etc... Avoid it...
  36. Aug 23, 2012
    This movie is an incredible thrill ride. There are small laughs planted between and within the grand scares. Some dialogue is intentionally grin-inducing, and also some scares, too. The cheesy CGI isn't a con, because it perfectly fits in with the craziness of the film. Even all of that can't water down how truly terrifying this movie can be, though.

It's campy, fun, and theatrical. A
    movie to watch with a group, because you'll all be laughing and freaking out and having a good time. But be warned: when the credits roll, you won't exactly feel good. The movie is haunting. Expand
  37. May 25, 2013
    I gave up on this movie 1 hour in.. Horribly boring and predictable movie. Really one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Not a single scary moment, just a ridiculous amount of pathetic attempts.. And really? A goat that yells out Really?... :S This movie is pure crap. The lead actress was not convincing at all. I want my hour back...
  38. Dec 26, 2012
    Definitely not a bad movie. Its more funny than scary. The acting isnt too good but that doesnt take away from the movie entirely.
    They couldve added a little more though, some scenes feel kinda empty.
    Overall, a pretty good movie. Funny, slightly smart, and scary.
  39. Apr 5, 2013
    como solo raimi lo sabe hacer crea otra pelicula de horror con tintes de comedio la cual no importa de q angulo la mires siempre dara resultado este es un gran regreso por parte de raimi al genero delterror
  40. Feb 9, 2013
    I cant believe that anyone could rate it more than 3 but it seems that critics watch it from other dimensions this is one of worst movie that I ever see and it make worse that it 's from one of my favorite directors
  41. May 14, 2013
    Perfect mix! Its scary but also so funny, you can't take this serious.
    So don't expect too much and you will be surprised!
    Every second of this movie is great!
  42. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand why critics liked this movie. It's awful. It is really predictable, the talking ship and the gyspsy lady are ridicously hillarious and I'm not sure if this film was comedy or horror movie. Do a favour to you selfs, don't watch that film 4/10 for the actors which were ok Expand
  43. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give it a 1 because the old woman without dentures french kissing the protagonist and, why not, sharing large amounts of corporal liquids while at it, is legitimately horrifying.

Beside that, the film it's just awful. Every character it's a prick. The protagonist seems almost human, until she goes and slice her little kitten in a lame attempt to stop her curse. Despite that, she seems outraged when the mediums gets ready to do the same to a random goat.

Then what else we got... conveniently hanging anvils, Kalinka dancing possessed mediums, and dying old hags with a terminator stamina and a liking for young blond chicks mouth rape. And in all this, I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be funny, scary, or both, and maybe this is the biggest fault of this movie.

Then, an envelope containing the crucial item for the protagonist survival gets lost in a bunch of random papers, and when she finds it she doesn't check if it's actually the right envelope... I wonder what this will lead to.
    Really, one of the most awful film I've ever seen.
  44. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Drag Me to Hell: 4 out of 10: Great another movie that achieved universal critical acclaim that I did not enjoy. Oh make matters worse it is a horror film (which almost never achieves universal acclaim and which I love) and is by director Sam Raimi whom I genuinely enjoy.

Drag me to Hell is all about gypsy curses. In the tradition of the superior Thinner and Buffy the Vampire Slayer our heroine Alison Lohman is a bank manager who turns down a third extension on an old gypsy’s house mortgage causing her to lose the home.. (Lohman is eyeing a promotion and her boss told her to be tough) The Gypsy in question attacks Lohman (in the films best scene) and then places a curse on her. She has three days to get rid of the curse or she will literally be dragged to hell.

In those three days, the demon in question will torment Lohman, so far so good. Then the movie falls of the rails. Lohman does something so horrific and unnecessary to get rid of the curse she becomes a Black Hat extraordinaire. Now a twist like that certainly can work if the film acknowledges it, but Raimi keeps his cards too close to the vest.

It quickly comes apparent that Lohman, despite acting as a younger, blonder, more innocent Kirsten Dunst, is the most evil thing in the film. The film simply does not really pull this switcheroo off or may not even realize it on some level.

The main fault lies with the lead performance of Alison Lohman who seems to skip through the movie with one confused expression, another confused expression and a decent scream. Raimi knows his buttons too well and fixates on violating the chaste Loman’s mouth with flies, maggots, blood, fists, entire arms, and in the most disgusting thing ever; an old ladies mouth without her dentures.

Loman cannot pull off a fun evil so instead she is more the brain-dead banal evil. This is a role that requires a Linda Ferrentino style touch. I simply do not think Loman had the chops for the role.

The films tone is strange as well. Many scenes are clearly tongue in cheek (a giant anvil held by a rope for instance) but others are so horrific (The aforementioned horrible act that shall not be named) that it takes one out of the story.

The rest of the cast is decent with Justin Long giving a particularly strong performance as the really nice guy with the evil girlfriend from hell. (Well going to hell... you know what I mean.) Long is best known as the Apple guy and the film keeps sticking him in front of Apple product placements handicapping his effectiveness.

There is also some strangely bad CGI in the mix. While Raimi really knows how to push the gross-out buttons and the jump scares, he would have been better off with some old school effects.

Overall I am beyond disappointed. Nevertheless, I guess once again I will be that guy who didn’t like the film everyone else loved. It is “Rushmore” all over again.
  45. Jul 28, 2014
    Funny and scary, well sam raimi is back to his roots. If you are looking for a typical horror ,you would be disappointed but if you like the 80s horror/ comedy then This is definitely for you . The film reminded me of my position in a bank and I had to make similar decisions so I both disagree and sympathise Christine's situation. Lorna Raver is absolutely great as Mrs Ganush and the fight between Christine and Mrs Ganush is priceless. Expand

Thrilling and often hilarious, it’s good to see one of Hollywood’s most inventive directors fully reinvigorated. On this form, Spider-Man 4 should be a belter.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    The picture is single-mindedly devoted to pushing the audience's buttons, and who better than Raimi to do the honors?
  3. Raimi's still very much up to his old tricks, retaining that deliriously over-the-top brand of Grand Guignol horror that he had abandoned by the mid-'90s in pursuit of other genres.