Drag Me to Hell

7.8

1. FrankP
    Oct 25, 2009
    "Exorcist" meets "Pee Wees Big Adventure" as imagined by a drunk third-grader. The only redeeming value of watching this movie was that I get to finally bump down "Romeo and Juliet" starring Leonardo DiCaprio as my worst movie of all time.
  2. jesss
    Oct 30, 2009
    After all the hype about this film, i thought i was going to be in for a real treat, how wrong was i. The film was advertised as a horror however this it definately wasn't, it was ridiculous how stupid the film was i was laughing throughout at the stupidity, i mean how patronising can a person be to think that the audience would be scared of this mediocre dribble drabble of a film. i After all the hype about this film, i thought i was going to be in for a real treat, how wrong was i. The film was advertised as a horror however this it definately wasn't, it was ridiculous how stupid the film was i was laughing throughout at the stupidity, i mean how patronising can a person be to think that the audience would be scared of this mediocre dribble drabble of a film. i highly advise you not to watch this as a horror fan but more of a comedy "shaun of the dead" type fan, not that it's that good. So disappointed. Expand
  3. ChrisH
    Jun 15, 2009
    I'm dumbfounded by the 83 this movie received. I just really don't believe i watched the same movie. I did not think this movie is worth anyone's time and actually walked out an hour into the movie. Maybe it got good right after that?Terrible movie.
  4. Grant
    Nov 4, 2009
    Really bad. Tries to be a so-gross-it's-funny, so-campy-it's-funny, so-bad-it's-funny movie but is only kinda gross in parts. Definitely not scary. Definitely not well-written (or well-cast -- the apple mac guy plays a college professor from a well-to-do family). The whole movie my friends and I were going "huh? why? what? gross! was that supposed to be funny? how long is Really bad. Tries to be a so-gross-it's-funny, so-campy-it's-funny, so-bad-it's-funny movie but is only kinda gross in parts. Definitely not scary. Definitely not well-written (or well-cast -- the apple mac guy plays a college professor from a well-to-do family). The whole movie my friends and I were going "huh? why? what? gross! was that supposed to be funny? how long is this movie?" I tell you what--it cost a dollar to rent this from a red box and about 5 minutes to write this review and I feel this movie doesn't deserve either. Just skip it. Expand
  5. karlg
    Oct 2, 2009
    If you are expecting an evil-dead-like movie like i was, you should watch the first scene, the seance scene, and the last scene, and SKIP the rest. Nothing in this movie is as funny or scary, and every scene is dragged out so long it gets boring. Gypsies are still frequently the victims of violence and discrimination, so i feel they're portrayal in this movie was in bad taste. On the If you are expecting an evil-dead-like movie like i was, you should watch the first scene, the seance scene, and the last scene, and SKIP the rest. Nothing in this movie is as funny or scary, and every scene is dragged out so long it gets boring. Gypsies are still frequently the victims of violence and discrimination, so i feel they're portrayal in this movie was in bad taste. On the plus side this movie has a talking goat. Expand
  6. DalliaG
    Oct 27, 2009
    The main character murders a poor kitten in it.... made me sick to my stomach and I couldn't enjoy the rest of the movie. I have lost all respect for Raimi. Horrible movie.
  7. Phoenix
    Jun 25, 2009
    THIS has GOT to be the WORST movie I have seen in the past 10 years... are you people kidding me?? Who in their right mind would give this movie a "10"??? (( or anything higher than a 1 for that matter? )) Get Real!! The only good thing about this film being at the bottom of the list, is it will NOW be keeping the movie "BUGS" company... as it too falls in the catagory of WORST P.O.S. THIS has GOT to be the WORST movie I have seen in the past 10 years... are you people kidding me?? Who in their right mind would give this movie a "10"??? (( or anything higher than a 1 for that matter? )) Get Real!! The only good thing about this film being at the bottom of the list, is it will NOW be keeping the movie "BUGS" company... as it too falls in the catagory of WORST P.O.S. I've seen in a LONG TIME! Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2016
    This movie is a lot like church. Seemingly endless, full of people that don't belong in it, and it made me think about crucifying myself the whole time.
  9. Dave
    Nov 14, 2009
    My wife and I made it through the first 15 minutes and wrote off the $5 pay-per-view fee as a total loss. If you have a sudden desire to watch this movie, don't.
  10. BrentJ
    Nov 15, 2009
    I can't believe the critics loved this one. It was a totally cheesy movie. A few scary scenes & a few funny ones, but overall a pretty stupid movie.
  11. CurtisH
    Nov 15, 2009
    Worst crap I have ever seen. Please god, I wish I could erase this retarded trash from my memory. Do not see this!!
  12. CapoRegime
    Oct 14, 2009
    The film is proclaimed as a horror movie, but right at the start I'm starting to feel that they got it wrong. Drag me to hell is a comedy, directed by someone who's weird enough to make fun of putting or spraying something on the mouth.
  13. jonb
    Oct 15, 2009
    Seriously, has anyone ever read Thinner? Seriously?
  14. KevinL.
    Nov 2, 2009
    I'm at a complete loss to understand all the positive reviews from critics. This movie was completely predictable, often resorting to extreme loud noise in a desperate bid to elicit some sort of scare from the audience that will instead leave you constantly adjusting your volume. The characters are flat, unrealistic and incredibly stupid. Often failing to recognize things that are I'm at a complete loss to understand all the positive reviews from critics. This movie was completely predictable, often resorting to extreme loud noise in a desperate bid to elicit some sort of scare from the audience that will instead leave you constantly adjusting your volume. The characters are flat, unrealistic and incredibly stupid. Often failing to recognize things that are blatantly obvious to everyone in the audience. This movie is an unintentional parody of itself, watch it with that in mind. Expand
  15. RobertB.
    Nov 3, 2009
    This movie was just terrible. I don't know if it was the directors cut that made it terrible or just the lame effects. The girl getting puked in the mouth multiple times was ultra-lame. I can't believe this movie has rated as well as it did.
  16. McGrease
    Oct 17, 2009
    I honestly think that is the worst dollar I have ever spent from red box in my life. I would have rather gotten a four piece from mcdonalds then to have bought this movie. I think the funniest part of the movie was when my friend farted on a leather seat and it echoed through the room. This is cheese. String cheese. I dont even think blaggy would have eaten this cheese. Raimi has made the I honestly think that is the worst dollar I have ever spent from red box in my life. I would have rather gotten a four piece from mcdonalds then to have bought this movie. I think the funniest part of the movie was when my friend farted on a leather seat and it echoed through the room. This is cheese. String cheese. I dont even think blaggy would have eaten this cheese. Raimi has made the most greasy, skunk, and diarrhea filled horror movie in years. I seriously could of taken a dump on a camera lens that people would rather see than this trash. I would rather have my fingernails pulled off with pliers or be forced to smell a used diaper filled with Indian food. Get em next Raimi ... McGrease out. Expand
  17. ChristianRock
    Nov 2, 2009
    I had great expectations for this one but it failed miserably. Stiff performances from all actors, contrived storytelling and poor special effects, kitsch, not camp. It is a 'fun' movie, but only if you watch it to laugh at it and not with it.
  18. Sep 26, 2010
    I will give this movie and the positive reviews the benefit of the doubt and assume it was much better in theatres. However, I watched it on HBO and it was frustratingly bad. The dialogue was superficial, seemingly written just to string together the story in between the screaming and supernatural events throughout. From the moment the the old women appears on screen in thatI will give this movie and the positive reviews the benefit of the doubt and assume it was much better in theatres. However, I watched it on HBO and it was frustratingly bad. The dialogue was superficial, seemingly written just to string together the story in between the screaming and supernatural events throughout. From the moment the the old women appears on screen in that trying-too-hard-to-be-creepy garb, I predicted that she was going to curse the main character. Everything that happens to the main character after that is just confusing and random. Many of the disturbances that plague the main character are, of course, not pleasant, you would not want them to happen to you. BUT finding a scarf in your throat and having to pull it out is not that terrifying. This and many other similar things happen just as fillers.

The pace is ridiculous. The beginning is slow and drawn out yet it fails to establish an eerie vibe or build any suspense. When the random disturbances really start, they are almost non-stop until right before the ending. It is such overkill.

The CGI effects are too cheap and unrealistic to be scary but not obviously cheesy enough to be funny. Whether it was meant to be funny/ cheesy or realistic/ scary, it did not look intentional. The girl is being taunted by a cartoon shadow. Seriously.

The characters were total idiots with no substance. There is some random back story for the main character thrown in, more as a side note, toward the middle of the movie but it is irrelevant because that information is never really brought up again. She goes from young soft-spoken girl in business attire to flighty and confused to screeching one liners like "That's yours **** and I don't believe any of it. The boyfriend character is just there to react to the girl's changing behavior by brushing it off until he finally sees something himself and is proven wrong. Again, very original. I could go on and on. Seriously, it was insulting.
  19. Jan 17, 2012
    It's a bad movie. Not in a good Sam Raimi way either. It is just boring and not serious scary or funny scary. It's an hour and 39 minutes long but feels a good 40 minutes longer. Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Sam Raimi and a crazy old gypsy woman....how did this go wrong.
  20. Nov 5, 2010
    This f*****g movie is full of s**t i hate it, it's disgusting, I usually like horror movies but this one goes to far, it's awful, i have never given a movie this bad a review.
  21. Feb 25, 2012
    I truly love horror movies. I love many of them, The Shining, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Sixth Sense, Signs, Silence of the Lambs, ALL instant classics. When I heard about Drag Me To Hell I was super excited, rarely is there a horror movie with such great reviews. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed to say the least. This movie is so ridiculously over rated and not scary itI truly love horror movies. I love many of them, The Shining, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Sixth Sense, Signs, Silence of the Lambs, ALL instant classics. When I heard about Drag Me To Hell I was super excited, rarely is there a horror movie with such great reviews. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed to say the least. This movie is so ridiculously over rated and not scary it hurt me to watch. I am baffled at how reviewers can speak so highly of it. It's truly one of the worst films I've ever seen, no part of it was good, the plot was mediocre, the 'intense' scenes weren't even mildly enjoyable, and the ending was abominable. As I read the other positive reviews I feel as if the reviewers and I watched two different films. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs unless you are extremely easily scared, or you just want something to make fun of for 90 minutes. Expand
  22. Aug 14, 2013
    How can any reasonable human being give this movie a good rating? I abhorred every second of Drag Me to Hell and despite admitting that it wasn’t badly made in terms of set design, cinematography, or editing, for example, it suffers from a director who can’t seem to decide if he wants to make a parody on horror movies or an actual horror movie and ends up making one of the hugest pieces ofHow can any reasonable human being give this movie a good rating? I abhorred every second of Drag Me to Hell and despite admitting that it wasn’t badly made in terms of set design, cinematography, or editing, for example, it suffers from a director who can’t seem to decide if he wants to make a parody on horror movies or an actual horror movie and ends up making one of the hugest pieces of in recent years (I could, in fact, re-use all of these words when writing a review for The Cabin in the Woods, another outrageously overrated rubbish). Limiting himself to a PG-13 rating, Raimi at least spares the audience more atrociously surrealistic CGI gore effects, but the 3rd highest as well as lowest of MPAA classifications still leaves space for idiotic dialogs, shameless copying from other horror flicks, and blatant predictability. I’m not saying that I wasn’t frightened by parts of it, yet for most of the time, I was offended and disgusted by this ghastly made movie. Critics that call it ironic or even hilarious just have to be paid by Universal Pictures since there is no other valid explanation for entitling a movie ‘ironic’ when it obviously isn’t aware of how stupid it is. And now don’t come to me with “it’s only for the purpose of entertainment” besides all of that it’s still a dull and dreary movie that is laden with tons of clichés. Drag Me to Hell? Drag me out of the cinema! Expand
  23. benjaminp
    Jun 1, 2009
    This movie smells...Bad...Exremely BAD..I hope this movie takes a shower and does the get shot dance in the middle of the free way.
  24. GilbertL
    Jun 1, 2009
    Horror movies have come to rely on using sound effects and music to scare audiences instead of putting any effort on having a story creep an audience out. Keeping this in mind, this movie is a non-stop scare fest with the aforementioned effects jumping up and saying 'Boo' to the audience every few minutes. It's easy to tell when this will happen because the music will drop Horror movies have come to rely on using sound effects and music to scare audiences instead of putting any effort on having a story creep an audience out. Keeping this in mind, this movie is a non-stop scare fest with the aforementioned effects jumping up and saying 'Boo' to the audience every few minutes. It's easy to tell when this will happen because the music will drop ominous hints and the sound effects become excruciatingly loud (a rusty gate, pounding on doors, all turned up to 11). If that doesn't lower the scare factor, then surely the Three Stooges inspired slapstick will. Frankly, I thought 'The Haunted Mansion' with Eddie Murphy was scarier and funnier than this. I certainly hope Mr. Raimi hasn't completely lost his filmmaking integrity by devoting so much time to all those Spiderman movies. Expand
  25. DonaldB.
    Jun 12, 2009
    This is not a good movie. I fail to see stars in any aspect.
  26. BM
    Jun 25, 2009
    Worst movie i have EVER seen! I have given it a 1 based on the hilarity of the talking goat...and thats it.
  27. ArvinM.
    Oct 16, 2009
    Wow even more stupid on DVD!
  28. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the only movie I have ever shut off half way through. It was the cheesiest, campiest, worst acted and laughably directed pile of fecal matter of a film I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. Wow - I cant believe people actually liked this awful excuse for a film. It makes me want to scream when characters act ridiculously to events that befall them. Spoiler Alert: Like Lohman's character the day after being viciously gummed and stabbing an old lady in the neck... "Maybe I should have given her an extension on that loan..." WHAT??? You stabbed an old witch in the neck!!!! Are you kidding me? The writers should have listen to this trash on continuous playback for all eternity. I can't imagine a worse hell. Expand
  29. Jul 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really just disgusting and that's all that can be said about this horrible flick. The opening scene was bad, and usually, a movie doesn't get any better after that. The whole premise is fairly ridiculous to start out with. The main character obviously is a good person, why would she be cursed ? She had no control over the situation the old woman was in, and she was not responsible. The entire film is filled with senseless dialogue and actions that don't make any sense. It could be a comedy, a bad one, something like 'Revenge of the repossessed homeowner'... Expand
  30. Jul 22, 2011
    Kinda weird in my case to rate a negative score to a positive movie, anyway, expecting something scary isn't the right thing in here. Drag me too hell is stupid, and idiotically funny, i felt that it wasn't taking the main theme seriously, while it does some creepy sound effects, it isn't entertaining or tense as other Horror movies.

Thrilling and often hilarious, it’s good to see one of Hollywood’s most inventive directors fully reinvigorated. On this form, Spider-Man 4 should be a belter.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    The picture is single-mindedly devoted to pushing the audience's buttons, and who better than Raimi to do the honors?
  3. Raimi's still very much up to his old tricks, retaining that deliriously over-the-top brand of Grand Guignol horror that he had abandoned by the mid-'90s in pursuit of other genres.