7.2

1. BrianH.
    Mar 30, 2006
    just a big show, really. people seem to think its all meaningful, but it just seems superficial and boring to me, like a slowed down music video.
  2. LarissaM.
    Mar 30, 2006
    This was the most pretentious movie I have ever seen.
  3. KendraL.
    Jun 5, 2006
    I'm tempted to say that people who enjoy this would enjoy anything Bjork or Barney did, like throw up on stage. The images are striking, and the costuming is oddly intreguing, but I think the whole thing would have been better captured from a series of successful stills, rather than two hours of pointlessness.
  4. PeterG.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Substantial organic talent is employed to produce this tedious and narcissistic film. I like obtuse art that is intelligently presented. This movies seems like giant egos (whale sized in fact) run amuck. I wish that some of the talented struggling artists out there had access to 1/100th the money and attention lavished on Barney. That's life on the post modern frontier.

1. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    A tapestry of sensuous, striking and sometimes disturbing imagery, Drawing Restraint 9 marks the latest cinematic visit to the wacky world of experimental artist Matthew Barney.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Halter
    Those who fear that the mainstream of contemporary art has become little more than an extension of fashion will find no comfort in Drawing Restraint 9, Matthew Barney's latest big-budget ejaculation of ritual self-involvement and superficial foofery.
  3. The uninitiated viewer can admire it simply for the majesty of its visual poetry.