Dreamgirls

7.3

1. KerryD.
    Jan 16, 2007
    As a lover of soul and R&B for 40 years, this movie was a souless, pointless, gutless cliche from start to finish. How is it possible to have a musical without ONE GOOD SONG? I was ashamed for every actor in this piece of dreck. Save your money and go out and buy Smokey Robinson and the Miracles greatest hits
  2. Nadie
    Feb 11, 2007
    It started as a drama and ended as a musical. It started with one leading actress and ended with Beyonce. Looks like they change the director in the middle of the shooting. Some of the songs are really too long!
  3. MikeC.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Why the critics like this movie is beyond me... Went with my wife and daughter, we all wanted to leave about 1 hour into the movie. This 2 hour movie seems more like 5 hours. Music sounds like they are singing the same song, over & over & over.
  4. ConnieG.
    May 9, 2007
    Bad acting and bad music. Would have been a little better if they used the real songs done by the Supremes. Should have left the idea of a musical on broadway. I thought I was going to be watching a movie. Don't waste your time.
  5. FranklinC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you won't find many close ups of her arms, and in most shots where her arms are raised, the shot is wide and the shot slightly out of focus. The movie lacks a central theme and and simply isn't very entertaining. By an hour and a half, I was looking at my watch wishing the singing would stop. Expand
  6. Horace
    Dec 25, 2006
    If I want to see Jennifer Hudson sing I can attend her concert or watch it on video. As for the rest of this film there's very little to even come close to the Broadway show. Overhyped to the rafters.
  7. LeonardP.
    Jan 11, 2007
    A badly conceived film musical by a truly un-talented director. Bad costumes, bad art direction, bad songs. The only reason to see this is for Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson who do their best .
  8. 2roads
    Jan 10, 2007
    The actors did the best they could with what they had to work with. . . but all in all it was desperately missing the Weinstein brothers' touch of excellence.
  9. MikeC
    Jan 20, 2007
    Excruciating. The songs are so terribly cheezy making the movie an utter cringe-fest.
  10. JB.
    Mar 14, 2007
    Great job Jennifer Hudson--bad script. I thought I would get my life back at the end of the Billy Holiday song. but noooooo like 8 more songs after that with "shaft music". Alot of the lights and props and computer graphics looked to be from 2000 also.
  11. KevinG.
    Apr 15, 2007
    A black movie made for a white audience. Souless, corny, bad songs while lip singing. People who gave this a 10 have absolutely no taste. I lasted one hour because I plugged my ears most of the time. This was pure torture.
  12. DougI
    Dec 25, 2006
    Dreary, Dreary. I would advise anyone considering seeing this movie, to listen to the soundtack first. The music and lyrics are abysmal. Even Hudson, who has a great voice becomes overbearing in her delivery. The acting has a stage delivery, rather then a more subtle movie appropriate style. The story is cliche and you don't really care about the characters. This all combined leads Dreary, Dreary. I would advise anyone considering seeing this movie, to listen to the soundtack first. The music and lyrics are abysmal. Even Hudson, who has a great voice becomes overbearing in her delivery. The acting has a stage delivery, rather then a more subtle movie appropriate style. The story is cliche and you don't really care about the characters. This all combined leads to my final comment. The best scene in the movie is the last one - when you realize 130 minutes has at last ticked by. Avoid. Collapse
  13. BobC.
    Dec 26, 2006
    The only good thing I can say about this movie is the costumes were good...other than that I want my 2 hrs of my life back.
  14. keithb.
    Dec 28, 2006
    At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes and Berry Gordy. Appalling. Expand
  15. chriswich
    Jan 13, 2007
    Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn shrieking nearly made my brain hemhorrage. I'm sorry, but this is not "acting". And since when is Jamie Foxx a boring actor? The songs were interchangeable and sounded like a white-washed broadway mock-up of Motown, the real-life drama of the Supremes was sugar-coated, and the darn thing JUST WOULDN'T END!! Has the world gone silly?? This thing is a train wreck! Expand
  16. myselfandI
    Oct 24, 2007
    The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. Was it really so expensive to pay Motown for royalties? Expand
  17. FedUp
    Dec 24, 2006
    One is for Jennifer Hudson. As for the rest of this overhyped turkey it should be on the Thanksgving dinner table. Avoid.
  18. BrookeC.
    Dec 27, 2006
    An absolute nightmare. Amateurish, bad acting and cliches abound in this bore-fest.
  19. Feb 20, 2015
    Too many rich black people for me to understand what was going on.....................................................................................

This baby dazzles like nothing else anywhere.
  2. If there is a disappointment, it is this: The anticipation may have exceeded the realization. It's a damn good commercial movie, but it is not the film that will revive the musical or win over the world.
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Finally. After "The Phantom of the Opera," "Rent" and "The Producers" botched the transfer from stage to screen, Dreamgirls gets it right. Bill Condon's adaptation of the 1981 show about a Motown trio's climb to crossover stardom pulls off the fundamental double-act those three musical pics all missed: It stays true to the source material while standing on its own as a fully reimagined movie.