7.3

1. MelissaM.
    Jan 13, 2007
    I can't believe the hype. I thought the movie was slow and boring! Without Jennifer Hudson it would only have lasted a week in the thearter. I was watching my watch to see how much longer I had to suffer through the film.
  2. ScottY.
    Dec 13, 2006
    The film just does not live up to the hype. They've been calling this the film to beat at the Oscars and that just might be its downfall come February. Hudson is fantastic, however the music just didn't "sing".
  3. Enrique
    Jan 12, 2007
    Good performances and the movie has its moments, but becomes quite tedious after awhile. A real disappointment.
  4. KathleenO.
    Jan 15, 2007
    I saw the cast on Oprah and it was not made clear to me that this was a musical. I don't like musicals and the movie was ruined for me when they sang when I really, really believed the words should have been said.
  5. scotts
    Jan 7, 2007
    Stunningly mediocre.
  6. WilliamW.
    May 27, 2007
    The music and acting were good but the plot, script writing was terrible. I feel like I just wasted two hours of my life.
  7. JanJ
    Dec 22, 2006
    Ugh - what a waste of time. Imagine your favourite R&B / soul / whatever processed for Broadway, then re-processed for Hollywood, mimicking the original stuff but of course never delivering it. If that wasn't irritating enough, every bit of dialogue is an opportunity for another round of overstrained singing, in the mode of Andrew Lloyd Weber productions. Avoid.
  8. RodgerH
    Dec 17, 2006
    Say it ain't so! The hype...the critics (if you can really call them that). I was SO disappointed, as were other people in the group. If you saw the original play...this doesn't do it justice. Yes, Jennifer is excellent. But the movie tries too hard and tries to please everyone. Eddie Murphy is excellent...Beyonce is beautiful and is better in the second half. But sorry Say it ain't so! The hype...the critics (if you can really call them that). I was SO disappointed, as were other people in the group. If you saw the original play...this doesn't do it justice. Yes, Jennifer is excellent. But the movie tries too hard and tries to please everyone. Eddie Murphy is excellent...Beyonce is beautiful and is better in the second half. But sorry Dreamgirls fans....this doesn't cut it. Songs are too long and the story really never picks up. Big disappointment. Expand
  9. Nadie
    Feb 11, 2007
    It started as a drama and ended as a musical. It started with one leading actress and ended with Beyonce. Looks like they change the director in the middle of the shooting. Some of the songs are really too long!
  10. FranklinC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you won't find many close ups of her arms, and in most shots where her arms are raised, the shot is wide and the shot slightly out of focus. The movie lacks a central theme and and simply isn't very entertaining. By an hour and a half, I was looking at my watch wishing the singing would stop. Expand
  11. 2roads
    Jan 10, 2007
    The actors did the best they could with what they had to work with. . . but all in all it was desperately missing the Weinstein brothers' touch of excellence.
  12. MikeC
    Jan 20, 2007
    Excruciating. The songs are so terribly cheezy making the movie an utter cringe-fest.
  13. Horace
    Dec 25, 2006
    If I want to see Jennifer Hudson sing I can attend her concert or watch it on video. As for the rest of this film there's very little to even come close to the Broadway show. Overhyped to the rafters.
  14. LeonardP.
    Jan 11, 2007
    A badly conceived film musical by a truly un-talented director. Bad costumes, bad art direction, bad songs. The only reason to see this is for Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson who do their best .
  15. JB.
    Mar 14, 2007
    Great job Jennifer Hudson--bad script. I thought I would get my life back at the end of the Billy Holiday song. but noooooo like 8 more songs after that with "shaft music". Alot of the lights and props and computer graphics looked to be from 2000 also.
  16. chriswich
    Jan 13, 2007
    Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn shrieking nearly made my brain hemhorrage. I'm sorry, but this is not "acting". And since when is Jamie Foxx a boring actor? The songs were interchangeable and sounded like a white-washed broadway mock-up of Motown, the real-life drama of the Supremes was sugar-coated, and the darn thing JUST WOULDN'T END!! Has the world gone silly?? This thing is a train wreck! Expand
  17. myselfandI
    Oct 24, 2007
    The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. Was it really so expensive to pay Motown for royalties? Expand
  18. MikeC.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Why the critics like this movie is beyond me... Went with my wife and daughter, we all wanted to leave about 1 hour into the movie. This 2 hour movie seems more like 5 hours. Music sounds like they are singing the same song, over & over & over.
  19. KevinG.
    Apr 15, 2007
    A black movie made for a white audience. Souless, corny, bad songs while lip singing. People who gave this a 10 have absolutely no taste. I lasted one hour because I plugged my ears most of the time. This was pure torture.
  20. DougI
    Dec 25, 2006
    Dreary, Dreary. I would advise anyone considering seeing this movie, to listen to the soundtack first. The music and lyrics are abysmal. Even Hudson, who has a great voice becomes overbearing in her delivery. The acting has a stage delivery, rather then a more subtle movie appropriate style. The story is cliche and you don't really care about the characters. This all combined leads Dreary, Dreary. I would advise anyone considering seeing this movie, to listen to the soundtack first. The music and lyrics are abysmal. Even Hudson, who has a great voice becomes overbearing in her delivery. The acting has a stage delivery, rather then a more subtle movie appropriate style. The story is cliche and you don't really care about the characters. This all combined leads to my final comment. The best scene in the movie is the last one - when you realize 130 minutes has at last ticked by. Avoid. Expand
  21. BobC.
    Dec 26, 2006
    The only good thing I can say about this movie is the costumes were good...other than that I want my 2 hrs of my life back.
  22. keithb.
    Dec 28, 2006
    At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes and Berry Gordy. Appalling. Expand
  23. FedUp
    Dec 24, 2006
    One is for Jennifer Hudson. As for the rest of this overhyped turkey it should be on the Thanksgving dinner table. Avoid.
  24. BrookeC.
    Dec 27, 2006
    An absolute nightmare. Amateurish, bad acting and cliches abound in this bore-fest.
  25. Feb 20, 2015
    Too many rich black people for me to understand what was going on.....................................................................................
  26. ConnieG.
    May 9, 2007
    Bad acting and bad music. Would have been a little better if they used the real songs done by the Supremes. Should have left the idea of a musical on broadway. I thought I was going to be watching a movie. Don't waste your time.
  27. KerryD.
    Jan 16, 2007
    As a lover of soul and R&B for 40 years, this movie was a souless, pointless, gutless cliche from start to finish. How is it possible to have a musical without ONE GOOD SONG? I was ashamed for every actor in this piece of dreck. Save your money and go out and buy Smokey Robinson and the Miracles greatest hits

This baby dazzles like nothing else anywhere.
  2. If there is a disappointment, it is this: The anticipation may have exceeded the realization. It's a damn good commercial movie, but it is not the film that will revive the musical or win over the world.
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Finally. After "The Phantom of the Opera," "Rent" and "The Producers" botched the transfer from stage to screen, Dreamgirls gets it right. Bill Condon's adaptation of the 1981 show about a Motown trio's climb to crossover stardom pulls off the fundamental double-act those three musical pics all missed: It stays true to the source material while standing on its own as a fully reimagined movie.