7.3

1. Feb 20, 2015
    Too many rich black people for me to understand what was going on.....................................................................................
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    It takes substantial blood, sweat and tears to turn a successful Broadway musical into a successful Hollywood masterpiece. Dreamgirls is one of the lucky ones - you can thank Bill Condon, Beyoncé Knowles and Jennifer Hudson for starters.
  3. Jun 22, 2014
    Superb soundtrack! Amazing vocals! Great acting! Inspiring story! I am really impressed and would difenitely watch it again! 8/10 is my final score!!!
  4. Jun 2, 2013
    A very good film. A bit overrated in my opinion because 8 Academy Award nominations is very generous. However this film delivers on all levels. Great performances all around, drama, brilliant cinematography, fantastic music....it's good. The music is definitely the highlight of the film for me though, particularly because of Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson. They both give great performancesA very good film. A bit overrated in my opinion because 8 Academy Award nominations is very generous. However this film delivers on all levels. Great performances all around, drama, brilliant cinematography, fantastic music....it's good. The music is definitely the highlight of the film for me though, particularly because of Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson. They both give great performances musically and theatrically. A very good film. Expand
  5. Sep 2, 2012
    This was a dazzling movie. I was seriously impressed with all the music and acting....that includes Beyonce. It was quite a spectacle and was very stylishly and artistically done.
  6. Jan 21, 2012
    this is an amazing musical. yes it has its problems, but it has its amazingness. Jennifer Hudson's performance is the best out of the lot. she sang her best and acted pretty well. eddie murphy did well, a unique and different role for him, to me jamie foxx and beyonce were the least satisfactory in the film. he could have really been the guy u want to punch, but he wasnt, beyonce was. herthis is an amazing musical. yes it has its problems, but it has its amazingness. Jennifer Hudson's performance is the best out of the lot. she sang her best and acted pretty well. eddie murphy did well, a unique and different role for him, to me jamie foxx and beyonce were the least satisfactory in the film. he could have really been the guy u want to punch, but he wasnt, beyonce was. her want to have the spotlight shone when she sang listen, it was her try at trying to take the spotlight from jennifer. you can't beyonce, she out sand and acted you, deal with it. great musical, good movie. Expand
  7. myselfandI
    Oct 24, 2007
    The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. The worst biopic I've ever seen. Actually, I only liked the costumes. They said it tries to tell the Supremes' story!!!! I don't think so. The music is NOT motown sound at all, it's Beyonce's sound instead; and there are too many stupid songs which are good and with good voices. But it is not motown, and people who really like 60's and soul music know that. Was it really so expensive to pay Motown for royalties? Expand
  8. DeeR.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Loved it, loved it, loved it. trying to find dress or pattern for dress Jennifer wore when performing "I am Changing". Where?
  9. ElizabethM.
    Aug 19, 2007
    My favorite movie it made me cry but it was worth it and is the best.
  10. TonyB.
    Jun 26, 2007
    An only mediocre stage musical has been turned into a considerably better film.
  11. Redlight
    Jun 5, 2007
    I really loved it, even though it has sugarcoated what actually happened in real life and has an uber-happy ending that didn't occur in real life. In real life, Florence Ballard (who Effie White (Jennifer Hudson) represents) spent her last years living in poverty before she died of coronary thrombosis. also before the supremes achieved mega stardom, she was raped at knifepoint by aI really loved it, even though it has sugarcoated what actually happened in real life and has an uber-happy ending that didn't occur in real life. In real life, Florence Ballard (who Effie White (Jennifer Hudson) represents) spent her last years living in poverty before she died of coronary thrombosis. also before the supremes achieved mega stardom, she was raped at knifepoint by a friend of her brother's. Tragic. Apparently, Diana Ross (who Deena Jones (Beyonce) obviously represents) offered her help financially but I don't know if there's anything concrete to suggest that being true. Expand
  12. WilliamW.
    May 27, 2007
    The music and acting were good but the plot, script writing was terrible. I feel like I just wasted two hours of my life.
  13. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    Amazing, excellent movie musical with Beyonce, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx and ex-american idol Jennifer Hudson. Strong and deeply touching performance, cool soundtrack. The movie definetely should have got an oscar (Jennifer Hudson got only the best supporting actress).
  14. ConnieG.
    May 9, 2007
    Bad acting and bad music. Would have been a little better if they used the real songs done by the Supremes. Should have left the idea of a musical on broadway. I thought I was going to be watching a movie. Don't waste your time.
    May 5, 2007
    One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I felt this movie. The singing was speakin volumes.
  16. LenR.
    May 5, 2007
    Great performances with otherwise mundane music.
  17. KevinG.
    Apr 15, 2007
    A black movie made for a white audience. Souless, corny, bad songs while lip singing. People who gave this a 10 have absolutely no taste. I lasted one hour because I plugged my ears most of the time. This was pure torture.
  18. Sam
    Mar 19, 2007
    Despite the rather dull middle-section, the movie flows on at a steady pace and Ms. Hudson's performance requires a standing ovation, much like what happened at most of the movie theaters across the country.
  19. JB.
    Mar 14, 2007
    Great job Jennifer Hudson--bad script. I thought I would get my life back at the end of the Billy Holiday song. but noooooo like 8 more songs after that with "shaft music". Alot of the lights and props and computer graphics looked to be from 2000 also.
  20. BrutusO.
    Mar 11, 2007
    A film that was way too constrained by its theatrical origins. Unlike just about everyone else, I thought the music was sort of OK (not brilliant, but acceptable Motown pastiche) and that Jennifer Hudson overacted and oversang a bit. I got well and truly sick of the Aretha affectations when Jennifer got dumped from the group, that's for sure. In fact, I ended up with a lot of A film that was way too constrained by its theatrical origins. Unlike just about everyone else, I thought the music was sort of OK (not brilliant, but acceptable Motown pastiche) and that Jennifer Hudson overacted and oversang a bit. I got well and truly sick of the Aretha affectations when Jennifer got dumped from the group, that's for sure. In fact, I ended up with a lot of sympathy for the others kicking her out. She was a pain, even if she could belt out a few blues and gospel tones - especially in the early numbers. We also learn that Jamie Foxx can't sing, and to compound the error he sort of missed the point in his role as well, which was somewhat disappointing. Eddie Murphy was good though. Overall the film ran out of steam at just about the same stage that Motown did in real life (mid 70's). And the Diana Ross character came out of it somewhat more sympathetically than any of us might ever have expected. But that's showbiz - and Motown was all about showbiz, rather than soul. Expand
  21. VeraR.
    Mar 10, 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed it! I love musicals, I love music, I love singing ... therefore I enjoyed the movie. The cast was great. Eddie Murphy was great in his role, cannot believe it is Jennifer Hudson's first acting role. I enjoyed the story line.
  22. DagnyD.
    Mar 8, 2007
    Despite minor flaws (too long production numbers, Deena character wanting low life role instead of Black Cleopatra) the cast was robbed of the best movie Oscar it deserved to be nominated for (instead of "Little Miss Sunshine"). Foxx, Murphy, Beyonce, Rose, all deserved best supporting actor noms. Hudson deserved Best Actress nomination but would have lost to Helen Mirren, so I'm Despite minor flaws (too long production numbers, Deena character wanting low life role instead of Black Cleopatra) the cast was robbed of the best movie Oscar it deserved to be nominated for (instead of "Little Miss Sunshine"). Foxx, Murphy, Beyonce, Rose, all deserved best supporting actor noms. Hudson deserved Best Actress nomination but would have lost to Helen Mirren, so I'm thriled for her well deserved Best Supporting Actress Oscar. "Dream Girls" now ties with my all-time favorite musical, "Chicago". My vote is actually a 9.8, for almost a masterpiece, but definitely a classic. Expand
  23. TonyLC
    Mar 4, 2007
    This movie was disappointing. The original music was poor. Why not spend money and use Supremes songs? I dislike the conversations that were done in song. Hudson was the biggest disappointment. Her singing was actually screaming. Very unpleasant.
  24. PaulD.
    Feb 24, 2007
    The music was neither remarkable nor authentic; the characters were poorly developed; the direction and writing was somehow sloppy. The casting and acting was good.
  25. DanC.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Some good performances, but the music is extremely weak. It's hard to buy into the emotion of the story when it's premised on the incredible power of the music of Motown, but fails utterly to capture that music. For more than a few numbers, I couldn't wait for the singing to stop. The story itself is not particularly compelling. Jennifer Hudson is certainly a standout, but Some good performances, but the music is extremely weak. It's hard to buy into the emotion of the story when it's premised on the incredible power of the music of Motown, but fails utterly to capture that music. For more than a few numbers, I couldn't wait for the singing to stop. The story itself is not particularly compelling. Jennifer Hudson is certainly a standout, but the movie itself is anything but. Expand
  26. MarkBayer
    Feb 15, 2007
    It's sad that much of the current discussion involving this picture centers on how its snub in the Best Picture Oscar nominations indicates the end of the overly agressive, "we'll tell you what the best film is, it's ours" approach to Academy Award promotions and campaigning. While it's comforting (if ultimately self-defeating) to believe that modern-day equivalents of It's sad that much of the current discussion involving this picture centers on how its snub in the Best Picture Oscar nominations indicates the end of the overly agressive, "we'll tell you what the best film is, it's ours" approach to Academy Award promotions and campaigning. While it's comforting (if ultimately self-defeating) to believe that modern-day equivalents of The Alamo, Cleopatra, Doctor Doolittle and The Towering Inferno no longer stand a chance in the top race, the truth in this case remains that occasionally the publicity machine turns out to be right, that the Academy's adolescent nose-thumbing in favor of movies with lower-key stealth campaigns resulted this year in honoring such unworthy contenders as the admittedly well-made but seemingly endless globe-trotting depress-o-thon and the likable but wildly overrated National Lampoon's Vacation clone, and that, except for United 93, Dreamgirls IS the best film of 2006. In fact, it's the best American nonanimated musical movie since Cabaret. (Not that there's been much real competition: Rent was clunky, The Producers clunkier, Moulin Rouge! plain obnoxious, Grease accurately labeled by Pauline Kael as a "klutzburger", and Chicago...well, more about that later.) Writer-director Bill Condon, adapting Tom Eyen's and Henry Krieger's Broadway hit roman a clef dealing with the rise of pop/ R&B girl group The Dreams (based of course on You-Know-Who and The You-Know-Whats, despite all the denials) brings the same incredible roller-coaster pacing and propulsion that made his 2005 film biography of Dr. Alfred C. Kinsey so powerful (OK, maybe this has a couple of montages too many, but why complain about too much of a good thing?) giving this movie not only an epic feel but also making it one of the fastest two-hours-plus I've ever spent in a theater. Jamie Foxx, as The Dreams' boundlessly unscrupulous manager, proves to be such an effectively despicable movie slimeball that I genuinely fear that his performance here will effectively limit some of his future choices of roles; Anika Noni Rose provides delightful comic relief as the "third" member; Beyonce Knowles as the cagily-promoted lead singer not only proves that she really CAN act (which The Pink Panther and Austin Powers in Goldmember certainly didn't) but her courage in allowing herself to be described in a certain way at a key moment is, in light of her ongoing musical success, remarkably admirable. Oscar DID get the movie's two acting nods right: Eddie Murphy, as the record label's brilliant but mercurial and immature male star, displays depths of talent and versatility that all the Norbits and Pluto Nashes in the world can't erase. And Jennifer Hudson, as The dreams' rightful lead singer, who's unjustly shunted aside for (to put it crudely but frankly) being too fat and singing too Black, is a force of nature whose power isn't at all limited to her breathtaking, already legendary rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"; the hugely emotional and demonstrative response she received from the mostly White patrons at my showing indicates that this is a performance whose richness cuts across all racial barriers. Dreamgirls' abrupt, mid-movie shift from being an "organic; movie musical (in which the characters only sing in situations that would realistically call for it) to a traditional one (in which they burst into song at any given moment) has been the source of much criticism but to me is one of its greatest strengths: after the Condon-written Chicago's gambit of hedging its bets by placing all the musical numbers "inside Roxie's head" it's a joy to watch a musical that proudly and fearlessly admits it IS one. And while it's fun to identify all the real-life musical references (James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Donna Summer and even Jim Morrison among many others are catalogued) Dreamgirls also provides the sobering reminder of a truth that we pop culture fans so often forget: thar every successful record, movie, TV show or other endeavor is the result of somebody getting hurt or excluded. 2006 has seen a lot of mainstream advocacy filmmaking, but most of it has consisted in my case of preaching to the choir: I don't drive a car or buy jewelry so An Inconvenient Truth and Blood Diamond caused me to change very little of my behavior because I was already doing what they wanted. But Dreamgirls, because of its power and passion (and in particular that of Murphy's and Hudson's work) has gotten me to make one very significant change: since seeing it I've been listening to my Motown anthologies a little bit less and my Stax compilations quite a bit more. Expand
  27. MichelB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the best singing movies. Jennifer Hudson, what a singer. I would like to highlight Eddy' Murphy's role, amazing. Should be seen on a wide screen - home theatre. Bravo - more - more!
  28. Nadie
    Feb 11, 2007
    It started as a drama and ended as a musical. It started with one leading actress and ended with Beyonce. Looks like they change the director in the middle of the shooting. Some of the songs are really too long!
  29. JoseO.
    Feb 9, 2007
    It has its flaws, yes but it still compelling and well acted. Hudson is very good.
  30. StephanieW.
    Feb 8, 2007
    In the current trend of movie producing, directing, editing, etc., Dreamgirls hits the mark when viewed in regards to each teamplayer to create this tremendously fast moving epic of the world of show business in its respective setting. When one mind is opened you cannot help not to give credits to all of those in the finalization of this excellent movie. One thing that I want put out is In the current trend of movie producing, directing, editing, etc., Dreamgirls hits the mark when viewed in regards to each teamplayer to create this tremendously fast moving epic of the world of show business in its respective setting. When one mind is opened you cannot help not to give credits to all of those in the finalization of this excellent movie. One thing that I want put out is the work of Fatima Robinson. In spite of the tremendous challenge that she has faced in this business her personal challenges have been a catalyst in how if your "Dream" and stay focus, you can still overcome life's tragedies. After all, saying goodbye a close friend on a shoot and next finding out that she has perished in a airplane crash is no words to describe. Fatima is a trojan. The chorography, particulary, "Steppin' To The Bad Side", et al., capped the success of the movie. It has been such an inspiration to me that I had to learn how to use my computer to make sure that my words were set out. The hard work, the focus, the love of the business makes me love Debbie Allen and her work in this field, along with Michael Bennett and the other choreographers that have been overlooked. Fatima Robinson certainly deserves more attention for her fine work from past to present. "Get At Me, Girl". I'm crusading for the choreographers, since everybody loves dancing. Let's do something about this overlook category. Expand
  31. TonyT.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Loved the movie and the music. Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson are worth the price of admission.
  32. FloR
    Feb 5, 2007
    The main reason I gave it an 8 is because of the awesome performance by Jenifer Hudson & Eddie Murphy. Without her presence this film would have been a flop.
  33. Jeannie
    Feb 4, 2007
    An over-long movie worth seeing if you can tolerate continuous high-energy loud singing of mediocre music. Kudos to Ms. Hudson, altho I agree her songs went on and on, and she hardly needed to screech so much. On American Idol that was Fantasia's forte, not Jennifer's. And her character, Effie, should have been allowed some softness and vulnerablitiy rather than a surfeit of An over-long movie worth seeing if you can tolerate continuous high-energy loud singing of mediocre music. Kudos to Ms. Hudson, altho I agree her songs went on and on, and she hardly needed to screech so much. On American Idol that was Fantasia's forte, not Jennifer's. And her character, Effie, should have been allowed some softness and vulnerablitiy rather than a surfeit of puzzling touchiness and anger. We want to love Effie, empathize with her. Fascinating operatic-like segment when Effie is replaced in the trio--each character sings their lines in the American idiom rather than Italian, etc. Wow. "Tour de force" comes to mind. Eddie Murphy's slimy character is made memorable by his shocking downfall, an unexpected collapse of a life. Expand
  34. AngelaH
    Feb 4, 2007
    Best movie I have seen for a long time. Fanastic performance by Jennifer Hudson.
  35. RobinT.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Very good musical. Needs about 15 minutes edited out.
  36. AbbyM.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This move was the best I ever saw ! All of the actors and actresses were great! I don't know how people could not like this movie.
  37. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Based on the Broadway musical that loosely tells the story of the Supremes, this fast-paced, glitzy, Hollywood production features wonderful performances by Beyonce Knowles, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx, Danny Glover, and newcomer Jennifer Hudson.
  38. RyanF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    It was way to long! The scenes where Hudson was belting here lungs out were too long, the love scenes were too long!! Long long long long long!!!!
  39. MicheleC.
    Jan 26, 2007
    The movie was uneven in many spots and the ending contrived, but I enjoyed the movie for the most part. Jennifer Hudson's voice and Beyonce Knowles' beauty alone make this a must see film.
  40. KimC.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Too much pre-hype. Major let down. Hudson is great and deserves all the attention she is receiving. When she isn't on screen the film becomes long and boring.
  41. MikeC.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Why the critics like this movie is beyond me... Went with my wife and daughter, we all wanted to leave about 1 hour into the movie. This 2 hour movie seems more like 5 hours. Music sounds like they are singing the same song, over & over & over.
  42. MecheleC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    A lot of people are putting Beyonce down just because Jennifer Hudson blew her out the waters. She did a great job just like everyone else in the movie did a terrific job. Every single person in the movie pulled it all together doing the best that they could do to make this movie THE BEST MOVIE IN 2006.
  43. JossalynnM.
    Jan 21, 2007
    This movie was phenomenal! I enjoyed every actor's performance, however, I thought Jennifer Hudson's performance was stellar. I am impressed with her acting as well as her powerhouse singing and look forward to seeing more of her on the big screen.
  44. NancyH.
    Jan 21, 2007
    The razzle dazzle is all in the trailers, and the movie doesnt do that great a job with filling it in between. Jennifer Hudson is impressive for a new comer but sometimes she hesitates her 'divaness' and it seems like she falls out of character. Jaime Fox is terrible. Eddie Murphy is the real winner hear and well deserved Golden Globe honor. One thing that was jarring was a The razzle dazzle is all in the trailers, and the movie doesnt do that great a job with filling it in between. Jennifer Hudson is impressive for a new comer but sometimes she hesitates her 'divaness' and it seems like she falls out of character. Jaime Fox is terrible. Eddie Murphy is the real winner hear and well deserved Golden Globe honor. One thing that was jarring was a third into the movie, the individual actors break into song (up until then we heard the songs from stage performance settings), weird. Expand
  45. ChadS.
    Jan 21, 2007
    In the end credits, after Jennifer Hudson is given her well-deserved props (her big number will make even straight men cry), Eddie Murphy should be specifically cited with the title "Re-introducing", because his performance as a David Ruffin-type is equally show-stopping. Crappy movie ("The Haunted Mansion"); really crappy movies("Daddy Day Care"); dubious women ("It's a man, Eddie; In the end credits, after Jennifer Hudson is given her well-deserved props (her big number will make even straight men cry), Eddie Murphy should be specifically cited with the title "Re-introducing", because his performance as a David Ruffin-type is equally show-stopping. Crappy movie ("The Haunted Mansion"); really crappy movies("Daddy Day Care"); dubious women ("It's a man, Eddie; it's a man!"), it never happened. "Dreamgirls" is a watershed moment for African-American cinema, and the best studio film of 2006. If you know your rock-and-roll history, it's all there; the Pat Boonization of rhythm-and-blues, the payola, and most insightful of all, the film perfectly captures how black artists tried to reach white America. My only bone to pick with this exemplary musical is that the artist Beyonce Knowles portrays probably wouldn't give a damn about stonewalling a friend's comeback. Expand
  46. MikeC
    Jan 20, 2007
    Excruciating. The songs are so terribly cheezy making the movie an utter cringe-fest.
  47. ChipL.
    Jan 17, 2007
    Watered down and middle of the road, with only Jennifer Hudson showing any true connection with the audience.
  48. KerryD.
    Jan 16, 2007
    As a lover of soul and R&B for 40 years, this movie was a souless, pointless, gutless cliche from start to finish. How is it possible to have a musical without ONE GOOD SONG? I was ashamed for every actor in this piece of dreck. Save your money and go out and buy Smokey Robinson and the Miracles greatest hits
  49. MattR.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Absolutely miraculous entertainment. One of the best movie musicals in recent memory, "Dreamgirls" sends viewers on a fabulous roadtrip through the ups and downs of fame. Hudson is nothing less than spectacular.
  50. KathleenO.
    Jan 15, 2007
    I saw the cast on Oprah and it was not made clear to me that this was a musical. I don't like musicals and the movie was ruined for me when they sang when I really, really believed the words should have been said.
  51. chriswich
    Jan 13, 2007
    Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn Screamgirls is more like it. Could this film have been any more grating? Am I the only one who thought this was a complete disaster? The editing, lip-synching, score, and acting (except for Eddie Murphy, who was fabulous) were so so sub-par as to be amateurish. The vocal chops were there, alright, but Beyonce is Beyonce is Beyonce, and Jennifer Hudson's diaphragm-crushing, foghorn shrieking nearly made my brain hemhorrage. I'm sorry, but this is not "acting". And since when is Jamie Foxx a boring actor? The songs were interchangeable and sounded like a white-washed broadway mock-up of Motown, the real-life drama of the Supremes was sugar-coated, and the darn thing JUST WOULDN'T END!! Has the world gone silly?? This thing is a train wreck! Expand
  52. MelissaM.
    Jan 13, 2007
    I can't believe the hype. I thought the movie was slow and boring! Without Jennifer Hudson it would only have lasted a week in the thearter. I was watching my watch to see how much longer I had to suffer through the film.
  53. Enrique
    Jan 12, 2007
    Good performances and the movie has its moments, but becomes quite tedious after awhile. A real disappointment.
  54. LeonardP.
    Jan 11, 2007
    A badly conceived film musical by a truly un-talented director. Bad costumes, bad art direction, bad songs. The only reason to see this is for Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson who do their best .
  55. 2roads
    Jan 10, 2007
    The actors did the best they could with what they had to work with. . . but all in all it was desperately missing the Weinstein brothers' touch of excellence.
  56. DevynS.
    Jan 9, 2007
    I saw the Original Broadway Production back in the early eighties, and I never got the chills I did from Miss Hudson's Performance. Bravo Miss Hudson! Your Our Dreamgirl and your performance and voice have made you a Star! Kudos to Murphy, Knowles, and of course Mr. Foxx.
  57. HarryP.
    Jan 9, 2007
    Uneven. When it's good, it's brilliant, but, it sags, largely because of the changes made to the original Broadway production. It could use a 20 minute cut. Oh yes, I thought Hudson's squallathon is surpassed by her renditon of "I'm Changing".
  58. DonaldR.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Jennifer Hudson has made her mark. Great. Eddie Murphy was terrific. Greater still. Beyonce Knowles channelled Diana Ross. Ho hum. The others did well and served their roles accordingly. But the film as a whole, despite being handsomely produced and attended, was bloated, full of wind and repitition, and the characters never really came to life. Some of it dazzled but after awhile all the Jennifer Hudson has made her mark. Great. Eddie Murphy was terrific. Greater still. Beyonce Knowles channelled Diana Ross. Ho hum. The others did well and served their roles accordingly. But the film as a whole, despite being handsomely produced and attended, was bloated, full of wind and repitition, and the characters never really came to life. Some of it dazzled but after awhile all the glizt proved to be boring. By the time Loretta Devine started singing, I wanted to scream at the screen "ENOUGH ALREADY...JUST LET THIS FILM END!" Really tedious. The stage version was quick, fast, riveting and after what Condon did with CHICAGO I expected more. A lot more. I was very disappointed. Expand
  59. scotts
    Jan 7, 2007
    Stunningly mediocre.
  60. RandallRomsdahl
    Jan 5, 2007
    This is a magnificent movie music, African American opera with amazing music, and fine acting.
  61. YolandaP.
    Jan 4, 2007
    For there to be two new actress in this movie, one would never be able to tell. All of the cast did a wonderful job, but Beyonce and Jennifer were outstanding for them not to have all of the acting years and ability as the others. Bravo, Bravo
  62. ToeS
    Jan 4, 2007
    The most exciting, enthralling first hour I've experienced in a long time in a movie that isn't a Lord of the Rings or James Bond type of film. Some of the songs rocked but most were boring, but isn't that the point? Jamie Foxx's character stripped the soul from R&B to make it Pat Boone marketable. The movie would suffer if a post-Effie Dreamettes or post-sellout The most exciting, enthralling first hour I've experienced in a long time in a movie that isn't a Lord of the Rings or James Bond type of film. Some of the songs rocked but most were boring, but isn't that the point? Jamie Foxx's character stripped the soul from R&B to make it Pat Boone marketable. The movie would suffer if a post-Effie Dreamettes or post-sellout Earley sounded awesome. A risky move, but I appreciate the committment. Expand
  63. AngelydaCECE
    Jan 3, 2007
    I was so excited to finally be able to see the film today. I went to see it with an open mind even when I was doubtful with Beyonce in the cast. Beyonce has definitely improved with her acting, BUT and that is a big BUT..she still has a long long way to go. I just can't see her as the Diana Ross-like character..I kept seeing Beyonce and not Deena. Great actors can make you forget who I was so excited to finally be able to see the film today. I went to see it with an open mind even when I was doubtful with Beyonce in the cast. Beyonce has definitely improved with her acting, BUT and that is a big BUT..she still has a long long way to go. I just can't see her as the Diana Ross-like character..I kept seeing Beyonce and not Deena. Great actors can make you forget who they really are like Eddie Murphy, I forgot he was Eddie Murphy!! When she sings, it was Beyonce not the character Deena, who was supposed to have weak vocals that catered to white audiences but Beyonce was oversinging in some of the songs especially Listen. If it wasn't for Jennifer Hudson's I'm telling You I'm Not Going and One Night Only, I would've rated lower. Bad casting for Deena and Curtis character, not that Jamie was bad, it wasn't the right role for him. Everyone else was superb. And Jennifer Hudson is the lead character, not Beyonce, so why are they promoting the movie like she is lead????? Jennifer Hudson is supposed to be first on the flyers. I have to be honest, don't want to be mean, but Beyonce killed the movie for me, although I give her props for being able to give the spotlight to someone else for a change. Deena character was annoying in that the movie portrayed her as being so so nice with NO flaws and last time I checked, Divas aren't this nice. Lastly, Deena and the rest abandoned Effie, but when Deena and Effie finally met each other again after so many years, Effie was so so quick to forgive Deena. The director should've made this scene between the two a really dramatic one, but it didn't turn out that way. Expand
  64. AquaBabe
    Jan 3, 2007
    Honestly..I went into this movie expecting to be swept off my feet, but that didn't happen. Jennifer Hudson definitely deserves all the acclaim she's been getting and even more. The movie came alive with soul when she was on stage. Eddie Murphy was awesome. Jamie Foxx's lackluster performance definitely did not match Ray. Then the almighty Beyonce. Damnnnn the girl should Honestly..I went into this movie expecting to be swept off my feet, but that didn't happen. Jennifer Hudson definitely deserves all the acclaim she's been getting and even more. The movie came alive with soul when she was on stage. Eddie Murphy was awesome. Jamie Foxx's lackluster performance definitely did not match Ray. Then the almighty Beyonce. Damnnnn the girl should stick to singing, and by that I mean singing off screen. Her performance was painful...she was acting while trying to act. Jennifer Hudson definitely has stage presence...love love her now. Expand
  65. SteveA
    Jan 3, 2007
    I loved the movie for the first half, when it was a drama about music. Then, towards the middle, it turned into a musical, and the movie lost steam for me. The last half was also long and seemed to meander some. Hudson gave a great performance, but I thought her character was unpleasant (she just seemed like a bully to me). Everyone else in the movie did well, also. I'm hoping this I loved the movie for the first half, when it was a drama about music. Then, towards the middle, it turned into a musical, and the movie lost steam for me. The last half was also long and seemed to meander some. Hudson gave a great performance, but I thought her character was unpleasant (she just seemed like a bully to me). Everyone else in the movie did well, also. I'm hoping this isn't Beyonce's Evita. Despite crappy acting in the past, she shows a lot of growth and potential in this movie. Expand
  66. MatthewC.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Jennifer Hudson--Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. I have seen this movie and only this movie four times in eight days at the theater and I'm sixty-one years old. Bill Condon is a top-notch director and screenwriter.
  67. BK.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Best movie I've seen in awhile... strong performances across the board, particularly by Hudson. If it didn't fall into the Musical category, it would be a real contender for Best Picture.
  68. JimG
    Dec 31, 2006
    Very enjoyable film. Hudson's vocal performances are great, but her acting has been way overrated. And in here singing performance, her gestures seem forced and incongruous as she goes to dramatic too early. The orchestrations here unfortunately are overproduced, presumably to make the soundtrack sound unified, but it would have been nice to hear orchestrations appropriate to Very enjoyable film. Hudson's vocal performances are great, but her acting has been way overrated. And in here singing performance, her gestures seem forced and incongruous as she goes to dramatic too early. The orchestrations here unfortunately are overproduced, presumably to make the soundtrack sound unified, but it would have been nice to hear orchestrations appropriate to respective venues (how about the detroit theater sound in the detroit theater, rather than a full blast overproduced broadway sound). Expand
  69. PaulL.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Surprisingly, it was better than I thought it would be, but also left a bit to be desired. I thought the pacing was off. In the second half of the film, it was almost every moment was going to break out into song. Was this suppose to be a musical about the emergence of Motown? Or just about these girls? Or was it a spoof/satire of Motown/music industry? Wasn't sure. Nevertheless, it Surprisingly, it was better than I thought it would be, but also left a bit to be desired. I thought the pacing was off. In the second half of the film, it was almost every moment was going to break out into song. Was this suppose to be a musical about the emergence of Motown? Or just about these girls? Or was it a spoof/satire of Motown/music industry? Wasn't sure. Nevertheless, it is entertaining and my foot was keeping pace with the beat of the music. But one note, in particular: If you pay close attention, the so-called musicians in the film don't know how to hold their instruments. That's rather embarrassing for a so-called musical being hailed by critics as one of the best musicals of the year. Expand
  70. CynthiaF.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy were exceptional in Dreamgirls! Beyonce was really good; Keith Robinson was excellent; Jamie Foxx was really great! The entire movie was nicely done; I have seen the movie twice already and purchased the soundtrack. I plan on seeing the movie one more time, which is very unusual for me...the movie is just that outstanding!! I rate it 10 Stars!!
  71. BlakeM.
    Dec 30, 2006
    I have NEVER been to a movie where everyone clapped so much! It was so much fun and a great movie. It's remarkable to watch a star being born in front of your eyes (Jennifer Hudson). MUST SEE!!
  72. CraigM.
    Dec 30, 2006
    It is absolutely amazing, a transcendental experience.
  73. Spongeee
    Dec 30, 2006
    Average film. Lots of info to tell but reallly never tells anything. Good songs, Hudson is strong, but overall, could have been better.
  74. JamieC
    Dec 29, 2006
    I was prepared not to like it. I was prepared for it to be mediocre. But honestly, I was mesmerized. Jennifer Hudson is that good. Her voice pierces your soul. and while it's Jennifer's move, proper acknowlegement must be given to Eddie and yes, even Jamie. I think she's a great entertainer, but Beyonce is no actress. Everyone should see dreamgirls.
  75. YvetteT.
    Dec 29, 2006
    Anyone who does not agree that Dreamgirls is an excellent movie is not a true movie buff. They probably sit home and watch bootleg movies. Jennifer Hudson is fantastic as Effie, and the all star cast gets their props for their part in creating such a great movie from the actors to the director, producers and all involved. Excellent. Siimply excellent.
  76. JudyT.
    Dec 29, 2006
    Jennifer Hudson is great. You go girl.
  77. LauraQ.
    Dec 29, 2006
    The performers, the sets, the costumes, the times - all brought back to life for me the days of Motown in its glory, and in its pain. As a white girl growing up 5 miles from the epicenter of the burning city during the '67 riots, I experienced all of the pleasure of Motown Records, and very little of the pain that inspired that violent revolutionary time. It is gratifying to see the The performers, the sets, the costumes, the times - all brought back to life for me the days of Motown in its glory, and in its pain. As a white girl growing up 5 miles from the epicenter of the burning city during the '67 riots, I experienced all of the pleasure of Motown Records, and very little of the pain that inspired that violent revolutionary time. It is gratifying to see the actors in this movie given all of the juicy roles and the showcase for their tremendous talents. Jennifer Hudson was all heart and kept the story real, even in all of its Hollywood production. Haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. Expand
  78. BryanC.
    Dec 29, 2006
    Best movie musical since Moulin Rouge! It's technically not as polished as Chicago, but it's ten notches higher on entertainment value and pure fabulousness! Jennifer Hudson sizzles in a stand-ovation performance. I don't remember the last time I was at the movies and saw people actually applauding mid-movie! It was nuts! I knew this girl wasn't done when she got Best movie musical since Moulin Rouge! It's technically not as polished as Chicago, but it's ten notches higher on entertainment value and pure fabulousness! Jennifer Hudson sizzles in a stand-ovation performance. I don't remember the last time I was at the movies and saw people actually applauding mid-movie! It was nuts! I knew this girl wasn't done when she got eliminated on American Idol. Eddie Murphy was also fantastic in probably his best performance of his career. And to the person who said a "77" score is a "racist C+", stop throwing the race card out at everything. "77" is considered a very good Meta Critic score. It's more equivalent to a B+ or A- if you're talking grades, if you consider the fact that there are only a few movies that get higher than 90. Expand
  79. SoniaF
    Dec 29, 2006
    This movie is absoulutely terrific, I'm not really a movie going fan, but I will be back in the theatre to see this movie second time. Jennifer Hudson deserves to win the best supporting actress award for this part. She is amazing, go see the movie. And Eddie Murphy amazing, great perfomance a wonderful movie.
  80. hollyc
    Dec 29, 2006
    Wow, what a disappointment this movie was--overhyped to say the least. I've never seen the musical--or heard the soundtrack---but from the way the reviews here look, it seems fans of the broadway musical might like this film. But, to me-- as a film on its own merits, it's really sort of lost (and horribly long). The dialogue is terrible--and sort of awkward in a lot of Wow, what a disappointment this movie was--overhyped to say the least. I've never seen the musical--or heard the soundtrack---but from the way the reviews here look, it seems fans of the broadway musical might like this film. But, to me-- as a film on its own merits, it's really sort of lost (and horribly long). The dialogue is terrible--and sort of awkward in a lot of places--same as a good portion of the songs. From the pre-movie hype, I thought Jaime Fox & Beyonce were the main focus in the movie--but neither characters were really. Jennifer Hudson was easily the best part of the film--and the main focus (her character Effie). The "Oscar buzz" surrounding this movie is laughable at best--or just good marketing. Its really odd to see how much went into overhyping this movie given how shoddy it is. I hope at least Jennifer Hudson gets more work after it--she is really the only good thing about it. Wait for DVD, unless you loved the musical, Dreamgirls is (paola) overhype at its worst. Expand
  81. ChrisF
    Dec 29, 2006
    Amazing cast, amazing voals, amazing sets, jennifer hudson amazing...well worth the $10 ticket! GO SEE DREAMGIRLS!
  82. BrianF
    Dec 29, 2006
    If you like movie musicals, you'll love it. If you don't, it probably won't convert you. That said, Jennifer Hudson's performance is absolutely a must-see.
  83. ED
    Dec 29, 2006
    WOW!! The music on this movie is amazing!! Jennifer Hudson takes the rug right out from under Beyonce. SHE IS AMAZING! i have never seen an audience give a standing O DURING the movie!
  84. J.G.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Everyone except for Jamie Fox stepped up their game for this movie. Yes even Beyonce. Forget her attempts before to being a good character actress which she failed miserably. This movie she takes her time and stretches the emotions for our viewing pleasure. Though, Beyonce got top billing in this movie. Jennifer Hudson is the movie without her we would have screenshots and a video or two. Everyone except for Jamie Fox stepped up their game for this movie. Yes even Beyonce. Forget her attempts before to being a good character actress which she failed miserably. This movie she takes her time and stretches the emotions for our viewing pleasure. Though, Beyonce got top billing in this movie. Jennifer Hudson is the movie without her we would have screenshots and a video or two. Jennifer's acting debut leaves you with your chin on the floor and a tissue in your hand. Many wonderful singers have tried but no one absolutely no one has been able to match Jennifer Holiday's original recording "I'm not going" with the same passion and pain until this movie. Jennifer Hudson hit every note with the emotion this is her last breath and you will hear her. Bravo. Bravo. She deserves every complement, praise and high five. Expand
  85. phylliss.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Jennifer Hudson deserve all praise and more, Eddie Murphy is great. They are the best of the best. The rest are back-up for them.
  86. keithb.
    Dec 28, 2006
    At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes At the risk of sounding racist, the music is so white it's laughable. It's a disgrace to Motown and everything they accomplished which you can still heard today all over the radio. Each and every song is so bland as to be instantly forgettable. The lyrics are so simple I thought I was watching a high school production. It's also a blatant ripoff of the lives of the Supremes and Berry Gordy. Appalling. Expand
  87. MightyMick
    Dec 28, 2006
    This movie was absolutely breathtaking. The music, especially the songs delivered by Jennifer Hudson, stay with you and rock you at your core. Hudson unequivocallly steals the entuire show even from Beyonce, the great! I immediately saw the movie again the next day and as I found myself still singing the songs the following day, I rushed to a store last night for the soundtrack which my This movie was absolutely breathtaking. The music, especially the songs delivered by Jennifer Hudson, stay with you and rock you at your core. Hudson unequivocallly steals the entuire show even from Beyonce, the great! I immediately saw the movie again the next day and as I found myself still singing the songs the following day, I rushed to a store last night for the soundtrack which my husband and I have already listened to multiple times. All of this since the movie opened this week! I cannot tell you how moved I was. Don't let racial stereotyping dissaude you from missing the movie event of the year. If you do, you will miss something great! MM Expand
  88. ShawnL.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Hudson was great. To Franklin C. - you must have been Barry Gordy in another life, complaining about Hudson's weight, stretch marks, blah, blah, blah. Missed the point entirely. Anyway, the audience was clapping at each of Hudson's performances - I haven't seen that kind of response since the opening concert scene of "Purple Rain". They stayed through the credits and Hudson was great. To Franklin C. - you must have been Barry Gordy in another life, complaining about Hudson's weight, stretch marks, blah, blah, blah. Missed the point entirely. Anyway, the audience was clapping at each of Hudson's performances - I haven't seen that kind of response since the opening concert scene of "Purple Rain". They stayed through the credits and clapped again when she came up. Fox's role was thin, as well as Beyonce's, beyond her solo performance which met with polite applause. But the *fact* that the audience clapped in a movie theater - a musical no less - proves the film, though not perfect, did move the audience in a way I haven't seen in a generation! We loved it. And we're only in our 30's! Expand
  89. MaxS.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Overhyped and characters lacked their star power.
  90. BrookeC.
    Dec 27, 2006
    An absolute nightmare. Amateurish, bad acting and cliches abound in this bore-fest.
  91. TroyM.
    Dec 27, 2006
    The movie was GREAT on all counts including the stellar performance of Jennifer Hudson
  92. NieceyG.
    Dec 27, 2006
    This was an outstanding movie, Jennifer Hudson shine (can you believe she was voted off American Idol)? When she sung I am telling you, it brought tears to my eyes the theatre went wild. Beyonce was great pretty as usual, when she did her solo I have never seen her do it with so much passion. Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy did there thing. This movie was truly worth the money.
  93. KellyN.
    Dec 27, 2006
    The musical score in this movie has outshone any other movie in recent years. Jennifer Hudson definitely deserves recognition for her role and Eddie Murphy has tapped into the inner talent we all knew he had!
  94. BobC.
    Dec 26, 2006
    The only good thing I can say about this movie is the costumes were good...other than that I want my 2 hrs of my life back.
  95. BillyS.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Dreamgirls is a big razzle-dazzle Broadway Musical that comes to the screen with a mega-million dollar budget and a roster of A-list stars, but lets get right to the point- this is Jennifer Hudson's movie from the second she opens her mouth and walks away with the whole thing. It is the most electrifying musical screen debut since Barbra Streisand belted out "I'm the Greatest Dreamgirls is a big razzle-dazzle Broadway Musical that comes to the screen with a mega-million dollar budget and a roster of A-list stars, but lets get right to the point- this is Jennifer Hudson's movie from the second she opens her mouth and walks away with the whole thing. It is the most electrifying musical screen debut since Barbra Streisand belted out "I'm the Greatest Star" in Funny Girl and we knew she was! When Hudson sings "And I'm telling you I'm not going" we know right away that she is here to stay and she will be going to the podium of the Kodak Theatre to accept a most deserved Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in February. And I wouldn't be suprized if she is joined by Eddie Murphy, who gives a carreer defining performance as James "Thunder" Early. Dreamgirls is a near perfect movie musical with two, absolutely perfect, history making-standing ovation performances!! BRAVO to all! Expand
  96. DantaW.
    Best musical in years.
  97. Jennifer
    Dec 26, 2006
    Make sure you go see this movie. Great from beginning to end. Jennifer Hudson is outstanding. Beyonce solo moment is amazing and Eddie Murphy has not looked so good since he performed as Randy Watson with the Sexual Chocolate band on Coming to America. Eddie Murphy looks like he has been performing on stage for years. The movie hold you in from the entire time. This is the first time in a Make sure you go see this movie. Great from beginning to end. Jennifer Hudson is outstanding. Beyonce solo moment is amazing and Eddie Murphy has not looked so good since he performed as Randy Watson with the Sexual Chocolate band on Coming to America. Eddie Murphy looks like he has been performing on stage for years. The movie hold you in from the entire time. This is the first time in a while that I have left a movie and felt it was money well spent. I do not want to speak too much about it. Just take my word for it and go see it! Expand
  98. Thom
    Dec 25, 2006
    I loved this film...Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce CAN sign. The story is true to the musical and will keep you entralled. The costumes and sets are beautiful. I cannot wait to see this again.
  99. FranklinC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you Simply not entertaining. The production value is high, but the entertainment value is low. The pacing was slow. The plot was undeveloped. Hudson is a great singer (but often oversings) and gives a good performance, as does Eddie Murphy, but the director plays camera tricks to play down her weight. She looks horrible in sleeveless dresses (you can see strechmarks on her arms), and you won't find many close ups of her arms, and in most shots where her arms are raised, the shot is wide and the shot slightly out of focus. The movie lacks a central theme and and simply isn't very entertaining. By an hour and a half, I was looking at my watch wishing the singing would stop. Expand

This baby dazzles like nothing else anywhere.
  2. If there is a disappointment, it is this: The anticipation may have exceeded the realization. It's a damn good commercial movie, but it is not the film that will revive the musical or win over the world.
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Finally. After "The Phantom of the Opera," "Rent" and "The Producers" botched the transfer from stage to screen, Dreamgirls gets it right. Bill Condon's adaptation of the 1981 show about a Motown trio's climb to crossover stardom pulls off the fundamental double-act those three musical pics all missed: It stays true to the source material while standing on its own as a fully reimagined movie.