8.4

1. Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic film! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby (must admit, never heard of her before) work really well together! Had the perfect mix of action and story/ character building. And the 3D was nicely done too. Didn't find it distracting at all and was used in just the right places.

Bit weird seeing Lena Headey as a gritty character though, as used to her being the pretty one in film/ TV.
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    No need to dread this Dredd. Karl Urban nails the title character, and staying true to the comic book, that helmet never comes off. The audience is introduced to Dredd's world through the eyes of Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, beautifully played by Olivia Thirlby. The movie starts off with a bang, and doesn't let up. Stylish and violent, this is one of the better comic adaptations this year.
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    One of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and thereOne of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and there isn't one slow moment the entire film. It's some of the best action I've ever seen and a very hard R rating, but if you don't mind that, jaw dropping and absolutely brutal violence, with a smart and simple plot that flows on its own, you'll love Dredd. Collapse
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    The critics giving this a bad review either decided they weren't paid enough to give it a good one or have an allergy to extreme badassery. This is the most accurate portrayal of Judge Dredd we could have hoped for. And as for "no humour". There humour but it requires a strong stomach. Much like... you know... the comic did.
  5. Sep 22, 2012
    Metacritic, I have to say, is a terrible review site for movies and games. The only part of this site I trust is the overal score given by users.

Besides from constantly choosing critics who give truly crap games great scores, it is terribily flawed when it comes to movie reviews, Dredd, which was made in South Africa, is a an example of this. Just prior to release in the United States, metacritic had 6 (6!) reviews of Dredd while rottentomatoes.com had more than 50 with a 90% approval rating. WTF? Why so behind in the sample base and those reviews on tr STILL haven't been included after its US release!

Now, since it's release in the US, many American reviewers haven't the first clue what Dredd is about, the comic book history or that it is a satire on the political climate in both the UK and the US and the consumer-obsessed and often violent culture of the US, particularly in the 70s through 90s. This movie is an absolute hit in the United Kingdom and Canada. Yet, many American reviewers don't get the satire (see above) or they feel offended about Dredd's premise being set in a futuristic US - and its bleak outlook of the society and culture - and the movie's message about violence and US society. Either way, metacritic sucks balls and many American reviewers are thin-skinned, ignorant nationalists who buy into any soppy jingoistic American-made fluff pieces to get them through their pre-packaged, cotton-balled little worlds. My two cents.
  6. Jul 2, 2014
    A nice simple action movie. Very stylish,easy to follow story,good effects. It does however have incredibly over the top violence so not one for the faint of heart.
  7. Dec 31, 2012
    My expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during theMy expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during the slo-mo scenes that that have a dream-like quality and really suck you in. Dark, unsentimental, with no attempt to pander to Hollywood tastes, i just hope there's a sequel despite the relatively disappointing box office showing. Expand
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    I had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all itsI had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all its own that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. Expand
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Finally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I justFinally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I just wish more than about 4 people went to go and see it Expand
  10. May 5, 2013
    I was shocked to see how low rated this movie was. It is one of my favorite films of all time. Well directed, well written, well acted, with good chemistry between the leads, and a scary villain. This is an excellent film all around, a good war story, and it rings true throughout. Highly recommended.
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Great film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and it worked really well.

I doubt a sequel will happen but it would be amazing to see more of MegaCity1.
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-rayMan, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    This movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D isThis movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D is far from the original. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2012
    Suprisingly good movie. Good storyline and decent acting. Go see it if you ever read Judge Dredd or if you enjoy action sci-fy flicks. I especially liked the fact that it was believeable. The designer drug was very smartly done.
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    This was a great movie. Anyone who likes action movies should love this. It has some of the same feel as the original Die Hard did. This is basically everything that a Judge Dredd movie should be.

If you like action movies, you owe it to yourself to at least see this one once. I already consider it an instant classic and I definitely see it as something that will get a cult following as more people find out about it.
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    Dredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wickedDredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wicked performances, Dredd 3D is the movie of the year! 10/10 MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST WATCH...... Expand
  18. Feb 24, 2015
    DREDD (2012) is fun and nothing but bloody gutsy stylish well-shot fun. The film takes off and never really lets you go. It shies away from the much hated shaky cam that often ruins and pollutes good action movies, and instead boldly puts the action into your face.
  19. Aug 14, 2013
    With viciously graphic violence, a sometimes dark sense of humor, and great special effects, this is one comic book adaptation that pulls off its source material in exciting, adrenaline rushing fashion.
  20. Sep 7, 2013
    I loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movieI loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movie even better.

Keep in mind it is an "R" rated action movie, so it's more of a Guy Flick; where most women will think it´s too violent (and I only say this because I can see that women are not quite Dredd's target audience, that being said I do know quite a bit of girls who really liked this movie), and its definitely not a kid friendly movie.

The 3D part of the film is nothing exceptional for the most part but there are some scenes where it really pays off (the scenes with the slo-mo drug effect come to mind)

The plot is not over the top like it is with most Comic Book Movies, so don't be expecting a movie like any of the Marvel Movies or most CMBs; instead it has a very simplistic feel to it (don't get me wrong this is why it is so good), its a straight shoot em up film in it's core. You don't need to know anything about the Comic Book to enjoy the movie and if you do you'll only enjoy it more, I also liked how even when they introduce you to the characters it's not really a beginning story.

I saw the Stallone Judge Dredd movie back in the 90's and thought it was a classic Comic Book movie turned Hollywood. Two essential parts of the character of Dredd are his personality and his uniform and I always thought that by removing the helmet for most of the movie and changing the personality of Dredd they completely changed the Character, that together with softening the tone of the movie to an almost PG 13 kind of movie, and giving Dredd a comedic patsy sidekick in the form of Rob Schneider, were the reasons why Stallone's Judge Dredd was so awful. None of these things are present in Dredd (2012), this movie on the other hand is quite dark and crude which is very much the way Comic Book is.

I also thought Karl Urban's performance was right on, it fit the character perfectly and I appreciated the commitment he put to the role by sticking to what makes Dredd so great, and not demanding to have face time in the movie. Judge Anderson was also done amazingly, both in in the writing and the portrayal of the character played by Olivia Thirlby (I absolutely loved her!)
    The only downside of this movie was the villain, although the Ma-Ma character was ok and fit well into the Dredd Universe, I still would have liked a better villain, one that played opposite of Dredd, instead Ma-Ma is just a common thug turned drug lord which is nothing next to Dredd.

If you are not afraid of a bit of violence and blood on screen and are looking for a great movie to watch be sure to see Dredd.
  21. Sep 18, 2014
    Chemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies with arnold and stallone tho Karl Urban was actually believable in his role. I justify giving this movie 10 because of the genre it represents that has almostChemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies with arnold and stallone tho Karl Urban was actually believable in his role. I justify giving this movie 10 because of the genre it represents that has almost died off in the reasent years. The plot is simple maybe too simple for some people but the movie is not about that its about the rookies and dredds onscreen chemistry and great action scenes. Truly amazing movie that sadly didnt do too well at the box office probably bacause of the bad advertising Expand
  22. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    This film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not to mention Urban as Dredd was fantastic. 10/10 from a Dredd fan. 10/10 for not removing his helmet this time!
  23. Apr 26, 2014
    This movie is amazing, I thought the reviews were underrated for this movie. Everything about this is epic and exhilarating and you'll want to stay till the very end but I would not recommend this movie to kids because of the violence, bad words, drug references and rape references.
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty.This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty. This is a must see for anyone who's an action junky. Expand
  25. Sep 23, 2012
    DREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that heDREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that he is an actor playing a roll.
    This movie really shows you what someone can do with a limited budget and a decent plot. It does not try to pander to anyone, not the fans and certainly not the critics. Be warned, this movie is rated R for a reason. And and movie about the good Judge should be at least rated R.
  26. Sep 21, 2012
    Dredd, the final movie that be based on a comic book of this year, and what happen? The movie is awesome, have a great story with a really good development, the performances, the effects, all is incredible in this movie.
  27. Oct 5, 2012
    Absolute masterpiece. I really don't know how it got only 55% or something. By far best and most original superhero movie that came out this year and yes, I watched them all. And you should see it in cinema, because in this one 3D actually makes sense. Strong recommendation and pure example of a movie that critic just didn't get.
  28. drm
    Sep 24, 2012
    So, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'TheSo, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'The Enforcer', set in a dystopian near-future. Karl Urban, who I think is one of the better actors of our time, nails the jaded, sometimes cruel, but ultimately justice serving, Dirty Harry-esque archetype. His character is refreshingly devoid of cornball one-liners, and never strays from his primary motivation. What was also refreshing, is that he keeps his helmet on through the whole movie. When I first heard that Dredd would be partnered up with a woman (Olivia Thirlby), I thought, "Oh no....here we go again with some cliché vamp, dressed up in a skin tight catsuit and heels." Thankfully they did not do that. She's in uniform, psychic, and deeply twisted. Damaged goods. This is a real smart move, and it adds a lot to the film. The violence, and gore, is Robocop level goodness, and much of it is treated in an almost artsy way. The soundtrack is as filthy as the scenery. Lots of distorted break beats, without any cornball attempts at dubstep. The other really nice touch about the soundtrack, are the drug sequences, which lovingly use the Nick Pittsinger styled 800% slow down filter. This works beautifully. The villain (Lena Headey) is superb. You really hate her. I haven't left the theater feeling so damn good, in a very long time. What's so sad, is that a lot of people are just gonna sleep on this film due to it's odd release time, the foul taste of the Stallone disaster still lingering in their mouths, and some really unfounded negative reviews. Do not sleep on this. Go see it. I will definitely buy this on DVD. Expand
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    As a life long fan and Dredd purest, I can happily report that this is a Film that lives up to the source material. There are a few short comings due to a relatively small budget. But the essence of the comics is on screen and the money has been put on screen in all the right places.
  30. Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd is brilliant Science Fiction. Perfectly constructed, with a lean and clean narrative, and yet, sensitivity to each character and scene that raises the bar significantly for the genre. This movie is deeply intense, with strong delivery in visuals, art direction along with fantastic performances from every single actor in the film. It's scary, uncompromising and a work of art.
  31. Sep 22, 2012
    Very straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's the "nonexistent" setting or backstory for this film that naysayers are clamoring for. Instead, you get pure action and solid acting in a very consistentlyVery straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's the "nonexistent" setting or backstory for this film that naysayers are clamoring for. Instead, you get pure action and solid acting in a very consistently gritty and otherworldly place. This is a perfectly made, powerful action movie with a great setting and a good edge. Expand
  32. Oct 20, 2012
    This film is awesome in every way apart from the advertising budget, which couldn't stretch as far as buying off critics and led to fairly poor box office figures.

Buy it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay!! I want another Dredd film just like this one!
  33. Sep 23, 2012
    I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days. Dredd is dark in tone but colorful, and interesting, and gritty and, most importantly, believable as a world. Karl Urban is great in the role.I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days. Dredd is dark in tone but colorful, and interesting, and gritty and, most importantly, believable as a world. Karl Urban is great in the role. Everything about the movie seemed like attention had been paid to it from the sets to the story. Is it freaking Shakespear?? No! But, it's damn fun for 90 minutes. That's right, 90 minutes! None of this 2 hour plus crap. Look, there are exceptions but Battleship ain't one of 'em. But as far as Dredd is concerned, the plot is cohesive and makes sense. And there are some clever little twists here and there. I can't say enough about how badass Dredd is. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't care for action films. I know that sounds close-minded and maybe it is a bit, but as the user reviews on this site show, Dredd has done something right for a change. Expand
  34. Oct 29, 2012
    I went into this movie thinking it wasnt gonna be any good due to all the bad reviews it was getting. I came out of it thinking thats one of the best movies ive seen all year. It flows great, the atmosphere was spot on and the characters were suberb. The story is simple but that works in the movies favour. common people get behind these fllms that dont try and cater for a wide audienceI went into this movie thinking it wasnt gonna be any good due to all the bad reviews it was getting. I came out of it thinking thats one of the best movies ive seen all year. It flows great, the atmosphere was spot on and the characters were suberb. The story is simple but that works in the movies favour. common people get behind these fllms that dont try and cater for a wide audience and stick to what it should be. Expand
  35. BMF
    Oct 4, 2012
    Gather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutal violence of any film I have watched. Dredd himself is like an extremly angry Batman who has said **** it" to his no killing rule and decided to clean upGather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutal violence of any film I have watched. Dredd himself is like an extremly angry Batman who has said **** it" to his no killing rule and decided to clean up the city with gunfire. Expand
  36. Oct 12, 2012
    Dirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. If you're a fan of graphic violence and lots of things blowing up, you will enjoy it. I really liked the overall grim look of the film and the actionDirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. If you're a fan of graphic violence and lots of things blowing up, you will enjoy it. I really liked the overall grim look of the film and the action sequences, and even laughed at some of the extreme violence, especially the bad guy's head smoking and blowing up. Watch out for Maw Maw!!!! Expand
  37. Oct 3, 2012
    Whether you love Dredd or loathe it is going to depend I think on how much of a fan you are of one-dimensional asskickers in general and Judge Dredd in particular. Me? I'm a long time fan of the Judge ever since Prog 2 of 2000AD back in the seventies!! I loved the hell out of this movie and rate Karl Urban's Dredd as the best characterisation of any comic book character ever to make itWhether you love Dredd or loathe it is going to depend I think on how much of a fan you are of one-dimensional asskickers in general and Judge Dredd in particular. Me? I'm a long time fan of the Judge ever since Prog 2 of 2000AD back in the seventies!! I loved the hell out of this movie and rate Karl Urban's Dredd as the best characterisation of any comic book character ever to make it to a non-animated movie. He didn't just nail the character he managed to blow away any memories of the Stallone fiasco with a number 4 cartridge and set the universe to rights.
    The ultra graphic violence didn't really add much to the story although it did ensure that the intention of the movie was never going to be one of catering to the tweenage market.
    Comparing this movie to The Raid: Redemption is stupid and there is no way that either movie was a rip-off of the other. Sometimes movies just seem to arrive at the same time with similar ideas and these movies are very different animals. I loved The Raid and would rate it as a better action flick btw, but Dredd does what it needs to do and does it extremely well. For the general perpulation I would give this about a 7 out of 10 but for me and my fellow Dredd-hedds, I cannot give this anything less than 10/10.
  38. Sep 24, 2012
    This is an incredible film, totally engaging and always interesting. Don't let the violence put you off, it's handled really well without being gratuitous; in fact it's becomes quite beautiful. There's some political subtext and implicit satire if you interested in reading into that stuff but other than that it's also completely engaging on just a surface level too. It's econimical withThis is an incredible film, totally engaging and always interesting. Don't let the violence put you off, it's handled really well without being gratuitous; in fact it's becomes quite beautiful. There's some political subtext and implicit satire if you interested in reading into that stuff but other than that it's also completely engaging on just a surface level too. It's econimical with its plot but the characters of Dredd and Anderson are the real focus. It really is a small character study in what it means to embody the role of Judge, Jury & Executioner hiding inside the body of a smart but gripping action film. Expand
  39. Sep 25, 2012
    Go see Dredd! This is a fun, fun movie with a great John Carpenter-type soundtrack. Don't let the critic reviews keep you away from seeing a straight-up thrill ride of an action movie. This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long, long time! I have never read the comics but this movie makes me want to. I loved this movie.
  40. Sep 23, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had at the movies in AGES. I had lost faith in movies after Prometheus, and against all odds Dredd gave me hope again. It isn't necessarily anything groundbreaking, but it is one heck of a great feel good movie.
  41. Sep 24, 2012
    The best action movie of 2012 period. Karl Urban is perfect as Dredd. Extremely violent and fun as hell, this a must watch for everyone who likes a Bada** movie.
  42. Dec 28, 2012
    I did not see this movie expecting much but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Very entertaining movie that seriously does not disappoint. Good cast, good enough storyline and best of all good action and charated development. The whole atmosphere of a ruined metropolis of the future is nailed perfectly and I can't think of any major flaws with the movie. I don't know what these criticsI did not see this movie expecting much but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Very entertaining movie that seriously does not disappoint. Good cast, good enough storyline and best of all good action and charated development. The whole atmosphere of a ruined metropolis of the future is nailed perfectly and I can't think of any major flaws with the movie. I don't know what these critics are smoking (maybe slow mo) but this movie is a must see for anyone that is interested in the dredd universe of anyone that just enjoys a good action movie. Expand
  43. Nov 6, 2012
    Now that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far too spaced.3-The Lawmasters were laughable.4-Most importantly,Dredd passed Anderson.That would never happen...A re-evaluation by Dredd himself(sequel)Now that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far too spaced.3-The Lawmasters were laughable.4-Most importantly,Dredd passed Anderson.That would never happen...A re-evaluation by Dredd himself(sequel) would be an outside chance at best.Those minor/major gripes aside,I loved it.NOW DO BAD COMPANY and ROGUE TROOPER! Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2012
    This wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood and gore than this isn't for you, but for the action lovers out there what are you waiting for? Go see Dredd now, and for once the 3d was actually worthThis wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood and gore than this isn't for you, but for the action lovers out there what are you waiting for? Go see Dredd now, and for once the 3d was actually worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. 8/10 Expand
  45. Sep 29, 2012
    It is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest of the film, it's previous scenes were so gut wrenchingly violently beautiful you couldn't look away. The thing I was most impressed with was the 3D. ItIt is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest of the film, it's previous scenes were so gut wrenchingly violently beautiful you couldn't look away. The thing I was most impressed with was the 3D. It is the best 3D I have ever seen in any motion picture because it evokes a feeling, it transports you into the feeling of the person taking the drug. Expand
  46. Oct 27, 2012
    I assumed that this movie would be better than Stallone's effort and I had hoped it would be as good as the comic. But I didn't expect it to be actually better! This movie simply blew me away. Whatever they paid Karl Urban, it wasn't enough as he IS Dredd. The setting and action was spot on and the movie shot to my number 1 all time favorite before it was even over. Awesome.
  47. Nov 2, 2012
    Mindless, violent and amusing. Dredd 3D will entertain all viewers who watch it purely as a mindless action film, fuelled with blood and gore and dazzling visuals. A well executed, though plotless (intentionally) remake of an awful classic that actually works
  48. Jan 6, 2013
    DIdn't watch the first Dredd movie, Didn't know anything about the series until I watched it movie. That being said, with an un-biased opinion, I really liked this movie. Action packed, Solid acting, and it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. Just a really enjoyable movie. I hope they make a sequel.
  49. Jan 27, 2013
    This Dredd (in contrast with the Stallone one) really reminded me of the comic character. The film and city atmosphere was also true and worthy of the comic equivalents. Nice action film and a must watch for fans and would be fans. (The users' reviews and scores on this one verified my trust on Metacritic's Users' ratings).
  50. Oct 7, 2012
    I was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is one of those that doesn't exploit 3D for the sake of the thing. I can see how it would actually work well. The visuals are undeniably cool. And it'sI was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is one of those that doesn't exploit 3D for the sake of the thing. I can see how it would actually work well. The visuals are undeniably cool. And it's obvious much preparation went in its delivery.
    I am sadly old enough to compare this one to the original one with Arnold. And it is by far a better narrative piece. Sure, back then it was the bells and whistles of the scifi angle, the Sharon Stone, and the Arnold bit. So we were all pretty well distracted. But now that time has passed... Screw that one. This one has testicles.
    Lena Headey as the villain is superb. I saw her in person at the Abbey the other night and she is particularly attractive in person. Her sight grabs on to you hard. But who knew she delivered just as much a hormonal effect with a scar across her face.
    Olivia Thirby played a refreshingly believable role as the rookie cop looking to grow some cojones to pull the trigger. And this is no little lady from Gossip Girl, for those of you who followed her here from there. That girl will put two in the chest and two in the face. Thank God they had the common sense to come up with an excuse to have her helmet removed. I mean... Karl Urban. Dude. You are cool and all, but that could be your cousin in there. Couldn't someone had blown off your helmet? You know? Give us our money's worth to see the actor we are here to root for? All jokes aside, when you see your cousin tell him he has my thumbs up. Good job.
    In any case, go watch this. It's modern cool and refreshing. Soda optional.
  51. Dec 30, 2012
    I was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatreI was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatre I was thoroughly impressed. Karl Urban was great (as was the rest of the acting) and it just deserves a better fate. Definitely warrants a blu-ray purchase IMO Expand
  52. Dec 25, 2012
    It was a really good futuristic action movie. I particularly do not like action movies, but this one worth the watch! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby shined in their roles. Lena Headey was not bad either, The action sequences were not too far fetched, and the violence while CGI, was realistic. Overall a solid action sci-fi movie!
  53. Oct 15, 2012
    Lena Headey She is one hell of a good actress. Her American accent in this film for a start is really convincing! Her best role ever in my opinion is Cersei from Game of Thrones. Such a vast difference between Cersei and Ma Ma, and she plays both roles to absolute perfection. Truly remarkable.
  54. Oct 8, 2012
    This film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering a lesson on what you believe is realistic/right/wrong, Karl Urban's Dredd embodies the executioner from the comics with all the unstoppable fury of aThis film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering a lesson on what you believe is realistic/right/wrong, Karl Urban's Dredd embodies the executioner from the comics with all the unstoppable fury of a Juggernaut. For anyone who loved the comics, wants to see Judge Dredd for the character he really is, and can appreciate a well crafted and wonderfully done action flick with plenty of water-cooler moments, Dredd delivers. Expand
  55. Nov 1, 2012
    If you can stomach a strong focus on violence and borderline gore porn, Dredd is a great and solid action movie. Although some changes has been made from the comic, the movie still holds up for both fans and non fans.

In the movie however, Mega City One is not depicted as crazy and culturally corrupt as in the comics - which might make the judges seem unjustified to those unfamiliar with the IP, having them question their almost fascist demeanor.

That said, aside from a couple of weird script moments (all movies has them) it's still a great action movie and pretty accurate depiction of Dredd and the changes/choices that has been made to characters such as Anderson works great.

Now repeat after me; "Stallone Dredd? Never heard of it.."
  56. Apr 25, 2013
    A great solid action gem, with entertaining set pieces, wry humor and surprisingly low key, subtle performances from the cast help elevate this film from its potential (and honestly expected) mediocrity. Maybe through fan support or a highly ambitious kick starter event we can see a return to Mega City 1
  57. Oct 14, 2012
    this is an absolutely mind glowingly awesome picture. it's eyegasm after eyegasm strung together by a story full of bad ass little moments. the scope is fairly small, but it fleshes it out so well that you will allow it. just pray we one day get a sequel.
  58. Jan 26, 2013
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Perhaps it wasn't a box office success, but its difficult to reboot something that was so awful first time around, whatever the reason, Dredd deserves to get a cult status in more wyas than one.
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Set in a post-atomic age where the remaining humans live in 'mega-cities', the city is maintained through the law of 'judges', motorbike riding officers who deal with the overwhelming crime on the streets.
    Among the Judges is the most famed and feared of all...Dredd (Karl Urban).
    It has touches of Blade Runner and Terminator rolled into this hour and half action flick.
    Urban does a fantastic job as the lead character, conveying his emotion brilliantly, all the while while having to wear the helmet.
    Joining Dredd is rookie judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) who is also a psychic, Thirlby holds her own here, relatively unknown to most in terms of the action genre.
    On the other side of the coin is is Game of Thrones Lena Headey playing disturbed drud lord Ma-Ma, who is distributing a new drug Slo-Mo into the city.
    Dredd doesn't waste time trying to correct mistakes of its own genre, its goes full throttle into the film and doesnt hold back on blood, guts and all around gore...
  59. Sep 23, 2012
    Urban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick and Olivia Thirlby does not disappoint as the successor to Diane Lane. The villains hit all the right Megacity notes though they are neutered a bit by a badUrban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick and Olivia Thirlby does not disappoint as the successor to Diane Lane. The villains hit all the right Megacity notes though they are neutered a bit by a bad case of the "talk too much" trope. Some wisecrack lines but nothing funny about this Dredd and that's a good thing. Of course, the Lawgiver shines in this version too. Buckets and buckets of practically unedited blood and gore. A faithful adaptation of the comic though the ending wasn't completely satisfying. Expand
  60. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing film, I really enjoyed it. Great special effects, the blood was a bit off but thats nothing to worry about. The acting was really good, Dredd is a very dark character in this film. The character Anderson also fits well with Dredd.
  61. Oct 18, 2012
    The most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel to take us back there again. I feel legitimately sorry for those people that are not seeing this film because they are basing their opinion of it off ofThe most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel to take us back there again. I feel legitimately sorry for those people that are not seeing this film because they are basing their opinion of it off of the Stallone version that came out decades ago. For me, this was the biggest cinematic surprise of the year. Expand
  62. Jan 18, 2013
    Wow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent, intriguing, and scant on backstory. Too many action films take up too much time trying to give me a history lesson on the protagonist when all I wantWow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent, intriguing, and scant on backstory. Too many action films take up too much time trying to give me a history lesson on the protagonist when all I want is some mindless action and violence. The movie delivers such in droves. It was very tasteful, but full of realistic violence that really draws you in. Very rare is it that a sequel can exceed the original by a long shot, but this movie does it and does it well. I cannot believe that the metacritic score is so low, this is a 10/10 all day long! Goes to show that critics never quite "get it." If you like action films, then you will be doing yourself a disservice by passing up Dredd, the most unexpected his of 2012. Expand
  63. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, theThis is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, the pacing is fantastic; there's never a dull moment, and Urban is fantastic as the title character Dredd. If you love movies you owe it to yourself to see this movie, if we have any hope of another one of these movies being made then go see this GREAT action movie!!!!! Expand
  64. May 1, 2013
    This was a Judge Dredd film done right. The Stallone movie was an insult to the comics, this one actually managed to capture the spirit of the comics and the characters well. I really enjoyed it, and would love to see another one made.
  65. Oct 17, 2012
    Dredd is an exceptional film and very true to its origins. The satire is there, the black humor, the brutality. The economy of it all and the simplicity of the story only plays to its strengths. The final slo-mo scene is sublime, almost surreal and a beautiful ending to the film. And the score, just amazing. You immediately forget about expensive CGI since they nail the essence andDredd is an exceptional film and very true to its origins. The satire is there, the black humor, the brutality. The economy of it all and the simplicity of the story only plays to its strengths. The final slo-mo scene is sublime, almost surreal and a beautiful ending to the film. And the score, just amazing. You immediately forget about expensive CGI since they nail the essence and atmosphere of Dredd and MC-1 so well. But most of all the three leads are impressive. Urban, Thirlby and Headey are perfect in their respective roles. It's a brutal, yet hugely entertaining action film with a distinctly old school feel. 9/10. Expand
  66. Jan 28, 2013
    This is definitely destined to be a cult classic. The film is gritty yet beautiful. In HD it is outstanding. Worth the buy and definitely the rent. I loved it for what it was ... FUN.
  67. Jan 23, 2013
    Awesome movie, captures everything that I expect a dredd movie to have in it, I just hope that they make another movie with the 18 cert in it, way better than the Comedy that was released all those years ago with stalone in it.
  68. Jan 1, 2013
    I loved it,the action was plenty-some the acting was descent and the plot was ok,all in all a watchable movie as long as you prepare yourself for what it seemed a never ending sequence of cgi content.

I would put this movie above transformers but below Ironman which I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Limited expectations make this a good movie to watch,once.
  69. Dec 31, 2012
    I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.

However, the dream of- simply take the established comic character and make the movie one adventure in the life of said character- has come to fruition in this movie. The acting is superb and unsettling with the askance visage of the villain. Dredd is played to his comic book perfection, or perhaps I would say some better than the stereotype version of himself he had become in later issues/graphic novels. Anderson is played in a very different way than her comic book counterpart and it isn't as a sex bomb psychic, but a fragile-seeming fractured innocent whose strength becomes clearly displayed in climactic ferocity towards the film's end.

The movie is full of violence, seemingly random and punishing. However, I dare say it decries violence completely. It truly shows in this apocalyptic setting how the innocent are in the crossfire and do suffer, and exhibits a painful helplessness of the civilians trapped in mega-tower societies. There are enough sub plots and subtle character dynamics/interactions that make this a joy to watch a few times over- plot and character development through subtle glances, grimaces, or psychic flashes. If that is not enough, then the visuals- some of the most colorful and pleasantly shocking slo-motion sequences I've encountered in either movie form or video game form.

Long story short- it is true to the comic, it is visually stunning- giving a very realistic presentation of the environment of megacity one after an apocalypse, provides admirable uncompromising heroes and detestable villains and a fun and entertaining dynamic between the insufferable Dredd and his new rookie.

Please- go see and support this movie, hopefully they'll do another one, or at least take another comic and do it --- Justice.
  70. Jan 30, 2013
    "Oh god, here we go again with the superheroes, I wonder if I manage to sit through the entire movie". Were my initial thoughts. Boy was I wrong, best movie of 2012.
  71. Jan 28, 2013
    I never write reviews, I just read all the user reviews (not the critics) to make my decision on whether I should watch a movie or not. I am really glad I decided to see Dredd, this is one of the coolest movies I have seen in the past five years, I did not expect the movie to be as gripping as it was. Awesome action, perfect amount of 'badass', great gore, and a very beautiful movie.
  72. Nov 15, 2012
    The movie's poor reception in North America is a real surprise, considering the movie is significantly above average where action movies are concerned. I knew practically nothing about Judge Dredd and had no expectations when I went to see the movie and I walked out having seen one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. Highly recommended if you don't shy away from aThe movie's poor reception in North America is a real surprise, considering the movie is significantly above average where action movies are concerned. I knew practically nothing about Judge Dredd and had no expectations when I went to see the movie and I walked out having seen one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. Highly recommended if you don't shy away from a little more than average red on the screen, whether or not you're familiar with the franchise.

Quite possibly the best comic book to film adaptation made to date.
  73. Oct 20, 2012
    In a world where only a thin line separates right from injustice and there is no time and resources to maintain order in the gentle way. The person responsible for this movie must have been raised in such world to express it the way he did. It was a movie in which simply every single second catched my whole attention. I felt like as if I could have watched it for 4 hours and wouldn't get bored.
  74. Sep 28, 2012
    Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd.Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd. His lines and his Batman-esque voice made him very enjoyable to watch. Same thing for Lena Headey, who is what you expect from a villain of this sort: an evil woman who you want to see suffer. Dredd was a very pleasant surprise. If you like good action, go and see it. Expand
  75. Dec 22, 2012
    A high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate thisA high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate this genre. I have given this film a lesser rating because when watching this film I am reminded of The Raid Redemption another great film, although this being different in its effect I believe it to have burrowed some of it's idea's from. Expand
  76. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but isThis is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but is never overbearingly dwelled on. For instance a man gets his hand blown off and it does show it but there are no unnecessary close ups or anything of the ilk. The only two real complaints come in the form of 0 character development ( which isn't needed in this kind of film, but still a problem) and the lack of a heart pounding finally that you really hope for in a movie like this. But overall this is a must see for any action movie fan. Expand
  77. Jan 4, 2013
    When I saw the reviews I knew this would be good but I wasn't expecting it to be absolutely frikkin awesome. Everything about this film screams cool. The thumping futuristic music, the guns, the blood. Perfect in every way. One of the best sci fis I've seen. It has the feel of a cult classic. Totally blew me away
  78. Mar 24, 2013
    Fantastic movies. watch it tell others and enjoy. just like a good comic a slice of the life of dredd not the whole history jammed down your throat. a must watch
  79. Jan 21, 2013
    One of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you aOne of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you a fan of the character I recommend you watching. Expand
  80. Jun 8, 2013
    Dredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn't much excess, just a grim, gritty slab of badass. Which keeps it pretty faithful to the origianal comic books.
  81. Apr 6, 2013
    Great fast paced action movie that really delivers the special effects and creativeness. One of the best soundtracks for a movie I've ever heard. Strong recommendation.
  82. Sep 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It didn't suck. That may not sound like high praise, but it's growing harder and harder to find a movie that doesn't disappoint after it's preview raised my interest. The introduction of the drug Slomo is an interesting gimmick. While it is just that; a gimmick, it's actually presented and used deftly within the confines of the story with becoming tiresome. In similar regard, the setting and visuals are well done, fitting with the theme of a post apocalyptic waste land that's not too far removed from the present. There's the ever present struggle between justice, despair, and innocence. This is most notable with the introduction of the corrupt judges representing justice failing. Our rookie represents our innocence, and before the end is done, she and we are a little less innocent but we retain our ideology. Dredd is the unyielding hard line of the law: the necessary evil of a necrotic city. We never see him without his helmet. He's the faceless arm of the cruel but necessary justice system. It's not an uplifting tale, but a parallel of Dante's Inferno. Instead of climbing deeper into the pit of hell, our rookie climbs high into the lair of a sadistic **** and in the process becomes darker herself. The brutality is compelling. There's no apology. Innocents are killed because that is what happens in a brutal world. MaMa murders dozens with gatling guns to eliminate the judges. When the medic is shot by the corrupt judges, there is no pause to contemplate or for effect. He made the wrong choice, trusted wrong people, and is now dead. The "wait" moment was cliche and predictable, but not tired. Best was our rookie running into the corrupt judge and without hesitation or dialogue, executes her. Again, no pause for effect. The ending is strong and almost poetic. It's not the comicbook, but thankfully, it's a far departure from Sly's misstep. Expand
  83. Jan 17, 2013
    I read the "real" critics reviews, what a bunch of pompous garbage. This Dredd was absolutely awesome and now I want more - how about 3 or 4 more to be exact.
  84. Sep 24, 2012
    A surprise in every way imaginable. From sporting a world akin to Blade Runner's grungy vision of the future to a main character able to somehow back up his impossible frown with how awesome he is, this movie will blow you away if you give it the chance to.
  85. sYs
    Dec 31, 2012
    Very well done movie in overall. Enjoyed it - though i think it had too much 'slow mo' in it. Such movies are needed to revive the sci/fi genre and honestly think - it's about time the Dredd gets the spotlight. One of the 2012 movies that i didn't regret watching in cinema.
  86. Oct 3, 2012
    The trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't haveThe trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't have anything negative to say about this movie other than Lena Headey's character was a little disappointing towards the end, she's set up to be this brutal, strong villain but then when confronted at the end she ends up being a coward and can't take on Dredd. True she wasn't that strong to take him on, but I expected there to at least be some sort of fight between them. The other thing is that it's not entirely original...? That didn't bother me though, since this movie was so well done and felt like something fresh. To those who are saying this is a Raid Redemption rip-off clearly have no clue what they're talking about since this movie was in production way before, and as much as I loved The Raid, it wasn't exactly original or groundbreaking either. Now onto the good things! As I mentioned it's not entirely original, we've seen the story and plot done a bunch of times but it's the way it's executed that makes it seem fresh again. I liked how well they illustrate what the city life is like: poor, filthy, and full of crime. It really made me even more invested in this world. For a movie with a budget of around $45 million the effects are surprisingly well done. It could probably compete alongside some of the bigger budgeted films of the summer. The 3-D, unlike most of the movies that have come out in 3-D, is surprisingly well done. This is probably one of the best uses of 3-D this year so far alongside The Avengers, Prometheus, and yes Step up Revolution. I guess it's because like those movies, it was shot in 3-D. I only noticed mild blurriness, particularly during some of the action scenes but it wasn't discomforting to the eyes. Other than that the 3-D was good, it was mostly clear, wasn't murky, and there wasn't any low lighting that I noticed. It wasn't used as a gimmick like most 3-D is, the best are the slo-mo scenes in 3-D. While I wouldn't call the characters three-dimensional(no pun intended) at least there was some characterization, which, I hate to say it The Raid lacked. I cared about these two judges, I was rooting for them the whole time and if you can manage to get me to do that, that's a big plus in my book. The actors all managed to play their characters well. Lena Headey was great with her over-the-top performance as the evil Ma-ma. Olivia Thirlby also stood out as playing the Psychic. I thought she did a great job with her transformation if you want to call it that. She seems nervous and a little scared in the beginning and it seems like she's definitely not cut out to be a Judge, the best example would be when she has to shoot someone and she can't find it in herself. Then she just turns into a complete bad ass, killing people like it's nothing and wanting to get out at no cost. I also liked how she wasn't a damsel in distress when she gets taken, she shows that she is capable of handling herself. I was afraid the movie was going to veer into that cliched path but luckily it didn't and I was pleasantly surprised by that. I was also pleasantly surprised by Karl Urban. I was skeptic of him because he does not strike me as an action/superhero-like person but he proved me wrong sort of like how Ryan Gosling proved me wrong last year with Drive. It's nice to see this happen once in a while and Karl Urban shows that he has no problem playing the role. I personally can't see anyone else playing this character but him now. He is one bad ass. This movie is definitely not for the squeamish as I found myself once in a while squirming around in my seat. The action scenes are well-shot, there's no obnoxious shaky-cam that'll give you a headache afterwards. The pulse-pounding score elevates the action and tension. It's sad that scores like these get unnoticed by the academy. Overall, this is one of the biggest surprises to me of 2012 so far. I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I did. Sure it's not original but who cares when it's done as well as this. The Ma-Ma(Lena Headey) thing was disappointing but not so much that it completely ruined my enjoyment of the film because everything else was fantastic. The characters, the special effects, the score, the acting, and the well-shot action scenes all elevate the proceedings dramatically. This is such a great and fun movie that it should appeal to people outside of the action-junky demographic. Expand
  87. Oct 26, 2012
    best movie ever. all that needs to be said. best movie ever. apparently review has to be 150 characters long. so.......
    best movie ever
    best movie ever
  88. Feb 19, 2013
    A well done and true adaptation of a comic book. Karl Urban delivers as the gruff and no nonsense Dredd. The story plays out almost perfectly as a comic book storyline---minus any and all background story. Its a perfect popcorn and rewatch movie.
  89. Sep 23, 2012
    Awesome. If you like Judge Dredd comics or just like fun violent action movies (this one feels like a throw back to movies like Running Man or something) check it out. Notice that most of the good critic reviews came from more respectable reviewers.
  90. Oct 2, 2012
    I am a scifi fan. I love good action, good stories, and most of the the visual appeal in scifi movies. Movies that get your mind free of this world's bindings and brings something new to the table. Dredd 3D is its own movie in that you are thrust into the world of Mega City, be only a small part of the city, but still you get a glimpse of how massive it is. This Dredd movie could have beenI am a scifi fan. I love good action, good stories, and most of the the visual appeal in scifi movies. Movies that get your mind free of this world's bindings and brings something new to the table. Dredd 3D is its own movie in that you are thrust into the world of Mega City, be only a small part of the city, but still you get a glimpse of how massive it is. This Dredd movie could have been better written, offered more in depth into the world, instead they dealt with what budget they had to work with. Amazing that $50 million in producing a movie doesn't get you a lot lot more but still I appreciate the fact that it was done at all. Science fiction and fantasy movies are extremely difficult to make so I back them with votes with dollars. Dredd is not a bad movie, it does feel a bit lacking in depth, but it was well done. Wish it did much better in theaters because the world of Dredd could explore a lot more than it already has. Expand
  91. Sep 29, 2012
    spiritual successor to a sadly underrated action movie, punisher: war zone. cross that movie with robocop and you have a pretty good idea of what dredd is about - grim, darkly funny, gruesomly over the top violence, and some beautiful cinematography. the 3D was great too (i could have practically watched an hour and a half of the psychedelic slow motion scenes).
  92. Sep 25, 2012
    Seems a lot of the negative reviews scoff at poor Karl Urban's scowling under a mask as a major negative point of the movie just highlights just how completely and painfully obviously the cricits are unaware that this is probably *THE DEFINING CHARACTER TRAIT* of the original Dredd, which in the comic is true to the extent that he even wears the helmet in the bath!
    I think the problem
    I think the problem there though is that Karl (who appears to be a genuine fan) happens to have nailed the character, which to be fair, *really is* just a talking helmet with a big chin and an ever bigger gun and by that I mean Pathos just really isn't Dredd and yes while Karl could do a lot more or even take the helmet off ala Stallone it would be wrong and unjust to the source to do so hence why I think it's disingenuous to criticise the movie for delivering the character as described. It would be just a big a character derailment as having Vincent Vega break out into a Mary Poppins routine while dancing with Mia Wallace, it's something that we all know John Travolta and Uma Thurman *could* do but it would be so very very wrong to do so (although lets be honest it would be funny).

The movie is much darker and closer to the source material and I think it's a great way to reboot Dredd to erase the mess that was the Stallone effort while paving the way bigger things in the future (hopefully!!)
  93. Apr 18, 2013
    Great movie! Entertaining from start to finish. A way better film than Stallone's version by some way. No corny "i am the law" acting here. This version of Dredd is more convincing. The action is great and the visual effects are even better plus a thumping soundtrack to beat. Great stuff. the character development could have been better though
  94. Sep 27, 2012
    One of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately itOne of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately it had a great many flaws as well. Some of the casting choices were poor, and the Anderson character being a Barbie doll didn't make sense given her role and the setting. The ending was predictable, the 3D was unimpressive and Dredd himself is probably the flattest character in the history of characters. This guy shows no emotion, no change, no growth, no humanity whatsoever. He might as well have been a machine. However despite these flaws, Dredd 3D is a good watch and sucks you in from start to finish. B+ Expand
  95. Dec 25, 2012
    this movie was made with respect and love to original material. sweet little details. good main characters. it just deserved larger budget.
    megaton of fun
  96. Oct 12, 2012
    This is the dredd film you've been waiting for. It will not disappoint and it's close to the source material. If you're looking for a bad ass action hero and want some entertainment, then this is it.

You don't really care for much of the characters except for the villain (MaMa) and hero (dredd). Dredd is the focus point and he is a bad ass. The director did a great job on the city and you really feel like it is a corrupt and decadent city where law enforcement officers can judge, jury and execute criminals on the spot.

As I watched the film I was being surprised again and again. They really outdid themselves and it's a large improvement over the 1995 film with stallone. The plot is there, it fits in perfect and you won't question the plot or the motives of what each character does in the film. It is somewhat simple. I think this has a better plot than The Expendables 2 so if you were thinking it might be the same, then the plot is a bit better than that.

The acting is average. It's good but there's nothing worth noting or exciting nor is there any acting that is bad. It's just okay and the only acting you need to care for is Dredd and Karl Urban nailed his performance as Judge Dredd.

The film has a good pace and the action length was on the spot. I never felt bored while the action was going on or I didn't stop caring after a while when the action becomes too long. But this film was perfect in the action.

The 3D affects were surprisingly good for once with the slow motion affects and this is coming from someone who is not fond of 3D. If you are a comic book fan of Judge Dredd and want to see a good judge dredd movie then, this is it.
  97. Oct 3, 2012
    Dont let the poor box office fool you, Dredd is everything a comic book movie should be. This will be a cult classic! The violence is over the top but succeeds at never becoming comical. Karl Urbans performance is top notch. You can tell they did their homework!
  98. Mar 3, 2013
    Dredd is pretty much a one and half hour video game with massive killings and brutal violence. The violence is over the top but holds together because of a stable story. A solid, interesting action film.
  99. Jan 22, 2013
    This movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excelsThis movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excels at violence and the number of people getting murdered is quite astonishing. Another thing worth mentioning is the great soundtrack by Paul Leonard-Morgan who had also done an outstanding job in "Limitless". In brief - this is a solid bloody action movie definitely worth watching and it's a shame it failed in the box office. Expand
  100. Jan 12, 2013
    Compaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit forCompaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit for Dredd and the filmmakers don't make the mistake of using a comedic sidekick (Rob Schneider in 1995) to make it all more accessable to the general public. Shot in South Africa for a low 50m$ on Red One MX cameras (much like District 9) we get beautifull but gritty imagery and tons of high speed slomo shots intended to give you a detailed look at the gratuitous scifi violence. I loved this film but judging by the measly 30m$ it made worldwide it's going to be one for hardcore Dredd/Scifi fans. Hopefully it will do better business on DVD/BD and recieve a cult status in film history. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.