Dredd

8.8

1. Aug 26, 2016
    This gritty, dystopian satire is visually delightful, well paced, and surprisingly thought-provoking. Lena Headey is terrifying and awesome. Karl Urban keeps Dredd's utter humorlousness from being dull, and Olivia Thirlby humanizes the judges.
  2. May 29, 2016
    So fresh, so gory, so badass, top notch aesthetics and visuals, good one liners, the story progression and breathing space between the action is spot on, story is simple but the is told is incredible satisfying and leaves much for the thought a sort of madmax fury road.

There might big some missteps but these are too minor and correcting them might hurt other good aspects.. It's a perfect 10 for me I want to see a sequel!
  3. Mar 24, 2016
    Cinematography is very well done, Karl Urban is faithful to the character, I'm surprised I haven't seen more of Olivia Thirlby after this movie. Great use of a lower budget. The only criticisms I can think of is there's a lot of creeping around corridors with handguns and the fact that there isn't a sequel.
  4. Mar 20, 2016
    Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid:Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid: Redemption, Dredd can claim to be sufficiently different to avoid being labeled a rip-off. It's also much closer to the comic book than the Hollywood-ized 1995 version that starred Sylvester Stallone in the title role.

This time around, Judge Dredd is played by Karl Urban, although you'd never know it was Doctor Leonard McCoy under the mask if not for the credits. As in the comics, Dredd never removes his mask, so the most we see of Urban are his lips and stubbled chin. Also, he speaks in a throaty growl that sounds a lot like Christian Bale's Batman. Dredd is less a character than an icon. He shows no emotion and, although he utters the occasional one-liner, he's as straightforward as they come. Think Robocop.

As in The Raid: Redemption, this is about an attempt by law enforcement officers to infiltrate a high rise building that has been co-opted by gangsters, fight their way to the top, and take out the chief bad guys. The Raid: Redemption is more bloody and visceral, but Dredd offers its own pleasures, chief of which is a scene of mayhem in which the villain, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), takes out an entire floor of the complex in a futile attempt to kill two judges. It's pretty spectacular stuff. And, once Dredd runs out of ammo, the level of tension escalates remarkably.

Dredd has an associate, rookie judge Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a mop-haired blond who eschews headgear. She is being assessed for a pass/fail grade by Dredd. Her test scores were judged "marginal," but she has been accorded an opportunity in the field because of her impressive psychic abilities. She's unprepared for Dredd's brutality, but adapts quickly. She also plays mind games with a prisoner they take during their initial raid of the Peach Tree high rise. Kay (Wood Harris) knows something about Ma-Ma that she doesn't want him to tell anyone, and Anderson goes mucking around in his mind out to find out what it is. It turns out that Peach Tree is ground zero for the manufacture and distribution of a new drug, Slo-Mo (makes the brain think time is moving at 1% of actual speed), and there's nothing Ma-Ma won't do to protect that secret. Trapping two judges in the building and hunting them down is child's play. Or so she thinks.

The action scenes are graphic and well choreographed with a slightly artistic edge. Visually, Dredd is impressive, with the digital rendering of Mega-City One offering the most satisfying helping of visual candy. Dredd was filmed in 3-D, but there are problems. Most of these occur during special effects-laden scenes that attempt to represent reality through a Slo-Mo filter. The 3-D comes across as artificial and overdone in these sequences. There is also noticeable blur during a few of the action scenes. Director Pete Travis does, however, solve the problem of things being too dark. Dredd has just about the right level of lighting.

If there's a serious disappointment, it's the villain. Ma-Ma, despite being played with over-the-top zest by Lena Headey, isn't a very impressive foil for the mighty Judge Dredd, even when she calls for "back-up." Heady is so inconsequential that the final confrontation seems more like an afterthought than an important moment in the story. It's a little like Superman confronting Lex Luthor, except in this case Lex doesn't have any Kryptonite on hand.

Unlike many post-apocalyptic scenarios, the one presented in Dredd offers sufficient glimpses of a dystopian future without overselling the dark, ugly miseries of this future. The background is strong enough to make some of the movie's more outlandish elements seem credible and to represent the dour Judge Dredd as a paragon of justice. There's also a fair amount of dark humor, often of the gallows variety, that never seems out-of-place. Not much of what Dredd has to offer is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly-paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the 1995 film, although not quite on par with The Raid: Redemption when it comes to pure, unexpurgated action.
  5. Dec 20, 2015
    Surprisingly good adaptation of Judge Dredd. Skip the 1995 film and give this one a watch, if you are a fan of the comic. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes action movies with slick visuals.
  6. Dec 6, 2015
    " Dredd " is a movie was shockingly strong , and full of Thanksgiving , I loved the super- slow shocking scenes , especially the 3D vision of the movie .
  7. Dec 2, 2015
    Easily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distracted with itself.

It was a very wise move on the part of Director Pete Travis to focus the attention of this film in one location rather than across the entirety of Megacity 1.

Mama (Lena Headey) felt so true to the spirit of Judge Dredd as a gang-leader in the 2000AD universe that I could've sworn she was taken directly from the comic books.

Karl Urban made a fantastic Judge Dredd, with a straight, autonomous, and unemotional by-the-book keeper of the law which, again, felt so faithful to the original comics.

The shooting of the 'slow-mo' scenes were again so fantastically done and so entrancingly beautiful and cinematic that they really did paint the picture of the effects of this drug in this world.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this immensely underrated film to fans of the 2000AD comics, as well as fans of sci-fi action and comic book films in general.
  8. Nov 17, 2015
    The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun. simple but clever story, great effects and Karl Urban does a brilliant job as Dredd. Highly recommendable.
  9. Oct 30, 2015
    Good thing Hollywood waffled on its decision to remake "The Raid: Redemption," because I think we've forgotten about a special, little American action film with a similar plot that nearly matches it in both quality and spirit - "Dredd," a raucous, hypnotic, and criminally unsung action romp that truly deserves a sequel.
  10. Oct 9, 2015
    Forget the Stallone adaptation; forget that this is actually an adaptation of a comic book; if you're in for badassery and want a film enjoyable both for group or self, this fits the bill.

It's efficient in the story telling and character development, not go overthetop or dwelling in elements, but understanding just how much it needs to give so that we the audience care about the characters and the plot. Hypnotic imagery shows up, surprising considering the source material and what you would expect otherwise. Cinematographic excellence is the single most surprising element in this movie, with a director who not understands storytelling, but how to visually display the story that is haunting, chilling, and entrancing.

Get some friends, get some beer, and sit back and prepare your mind to be esploded.
  11. Jul 23, 2015
    4/5★ Dark, grungy and uncompromisingly violent, Dredd veers at times close to mockable B-movie territory, only to be pulled back by Urban's sheer force of will and strong chin. Olivia Thirlby is perfect as the empathic psychic paired with the uncompromising, unchanging Judge Dredd.
    The comparisons to The Raid: Redemption, both of them similar in setting and take on anarchy, is understandable but both are good films with different aesthetics.
    The drug infused slo-mo sequences are beautifully horrifying and in sharp contrast to the dark and frenzied action sequences.
    Verdict: Watch
  12. Jul 6, 2015
    The fans have it over the critics on this one. Dredd is a violent visual treat. Karl Urban is perfect as Dredd, and Lena Heady is nearly as good as the prostitute-turned-crime lord Ma-ma. Olivia Thirlby holds her own. But the biggest star of this film is the way super-slow motion is mixed with a terrific soundtrack to make even the goriest scene in the film almost beautiful to watch.
  13. May 13, 2015
    A bit surprised by the low critic score for this. Some of the most visually striking scenes I've seen in a while, combined with some smart scifi and great characters. This is basically what a modern take on Robocop should be. While there is quite a bit of gruesome violence, the use of violence smartly feeds into its dark humor and the general post-apocalyptic setting of Mega City One.
  14. May 2, 2015
    A Visceral and brilliant screen exploration of a dark and threatening character. I loved this movie and still enjoy watching it time after time. The music is fantastic, the characters believable and the pacing of the story gripping to the end.
  15. Apr 16, 2015
    Love this movie awesome affects Urban is a great actor for dred. Dred fans should love and appreciate this movie I hope they make another dred movie.
  16. Mar 14, 2015
    "As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his"As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his character out of the park, and Thirlby is amazing - fantastic chemistry between the two. Film has a feel like Carpenter's classic Escape From New York. Props to the director and film crew for creating this amazing film. Highly recommended. Hope there'll be a sequel, it's an absolute must. 9/10 Expand
  17. Feb 24, 2015
    DREDD (2012) is fun and nothing but bloody gutsy stylish well-shot fun. The film takes off and never really lets you go. It shies away from the much hated shaky cam that often ruins and pollutes good action movies, and instead boldly puts the action into your face.
  18. Feb 24, 2015
    This was easily one of my favorite movies for 2012. I'm very familar with the Judge Dredd comic book and character. This movie nails the spirit of the character perfectly. Karl Urban's performance was excellent and I love how we never see him fully without the helmet, just like in the comics.

The story is really intense and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire film. The 3D special effects are well done and impressive. I just can't say enough good things about this movie. It's easily one of the best and most accurate of all the comic book hero films.
  19. Jan 1, 2015
    Critics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in the best ways possible, with awesome action pumping all the way through the film. The slo-mo drugs adds an ace colourful effect to scenes. Karl Urban nailsCritics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in the best ways possible, with awesome action pumping all the way through the film. The slo-mo drugs adds an ace colourful effect to scenes. Karl Urban nails his role as Dredd with helmet staying on all through the film, being dry and using deadpan humour excellently. Such an underrated movie. So easy to watch with friends over and over again. Dredd 2 pleaaaaeesee soon! Expand
  20. Dec 25, 2014
    After two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenes should be done, brilliantly choreographed and when slow motion shots occur, they are breathtaking, things like blood hitting a wall look stunning at aAfter two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenes should be done, brilliantly choreographed and when slow motion shots occur, they are breathtaking, things like blood hitting a wall look stunning at a tiny fraction of it's normal speed and glass flying look like diamonds. I can't say enough how happy I am after seeing this movie and it is probably one of the last good r rated movies that isn't dumbed down for kids to see which makes me disappointed in the industry now. Hopes of a sequel are all but impossible but if there ever is, I will be the first in line for the this art movie. Expand
  21. Dec 6, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyable action film. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd...perfectly cast. The supporting cast is also excellent; I especially enjoyed Lena Headey's performance as the Villainous Ma-Ma. Hope there is a sequel to this eventually.
  22. Nov 18, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I was expecting a remake of the light hearted and silly Judge Dredd movie from 1995 but Dredd is nothing like that. It's a well made action/sci-fi film with an excellent cast, creative use of special effects and a more serious approach to the story without making it boring or cheesy. It's a great action movie, an instant fav for me.
  23. Sep 18, 2014
    Chemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies with arnold and stallone tho Karl Urban was actually believable in his role. I justify giving this movie 10 because of the genre it represents that has almostChemistry between Dredd and rookie is great to see on screen and acting is great in general. I like how this movie is action packed and heavy use of conventional effects are great for me! Kinda reminds me of old days of action movies with arnold and stallone tho Karl Urban was actually believable in his role. I justify giving this movie 10 because of the genre it represents that has almost died off in the reasent years. The plot is simple maybe too simple for some people but the movie is not about that its about the rookies and dredds onscreen chemistry and great action scenes. Truly amazing movie that sadly didnt do too well at the box office probably bacause of the bad advertising Expand
  24. Jul 2, 2014
    A nice simple action movie. Very stylish,easy to follow story,good effects. It does however have incredibly over the top violence so not one for the faint of heart.
  25. Jun 24, 2014
    Loved it. This film was exactly what I was looking for without even knowing it. The directors use of visuals did an amazing job of adding a sense of intimacy to the action with awesome slow motion shots and incredible detail. The narrative of the story is simple enough to play a side role to the action, although their imagination of the near future isn't too incredibly far fetched... AndLoved it. This film was exactly what I was looking for without even knowing it. The directors use of visuals did an amazing job of adding a sense of intimacy to the action with awesome slow motion shots and incredible detail. The narrative of the story is simple enough to play a side role to the action, although their imagination of the near future isn't too incredibly far fetched... And there is plenty of action. If your a fan of SciFi or even action classics, check this one out. Expand
  26. May 27, 2014
    Big fan of the comic, but this film was underwhelming. It all seemed very small scale, and the whole thing could easily have been set in the present day. Anderson was underused and the graphic violence was too gratuitous at times. I actually think I prefer the Stallone version; at least there's a lot more of the comic in that film.
  27. May 12, 2014
    Dredd is a gritty action packed thrill ride with plenty of blood, gun fights, and dark humor for you to forget all about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie staring Sylvester Stallone. After giving this movie another watch it makes me wish that the new RoboCop movie had turned out more like this then maybe it could have been worth the watch. The setting of warn down, crime filled mega citiesDredd is a gritty action packed thrill ride with plenty of blood, gun fights, and dark humor for you to forget all about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie staring Sylvester Stallone. After giving this movie another watch it makes me wish that the new RoboCop movie had turned out more like this then maybe it could have been worth the watch. The setting of warn down, crime filled mega cities stretching across states gives you more of a sense of how bad things are in the future. The story follows two Judge's responding to a triple murder in a heavily crime populated area soon they find themselves fighting to stay alive against the local gang MA-MA and there leader Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) as they fight there way up 200 flights of stairs. Karl Urban as Judge Dredd was perfect i couldn't have ask for a better Judge Dredd, i have always been a fan of Karl Urban he can be a total badass like he is in this film but he can also be funny like he is in star trek. The humor in this is for sure dark but funny but nonetheless i chuckled a couple times because of Urban's dialog. The action scenes are totally awesome the movie starts out with a car chase and it doesn't let down from there with tons of shoot outs causing loads of bloody deaths. The drug in the movie that the MA-MA gang is making causes people to perceive time super slow so it looks like everything is in Slow-Mo when they take it and for that aspect alone you have to give credit to the moive for at least giving you a reason on why its being shown rather then just having it as a gimmick like in most movies nowadays. Even though i had only seen a couple of movies that Olivia Thirlby has been in i didn't really know who she was but she surprised me with holding her own that i ended up liking her a lot i figured her role would have only slowed down the film but i was wrong. The only problem i have with her is that she was able to read peoples minds and they never really get into how she was able to do it. The plot is simple but it doesn't take away with how awesome the movie is as a action movie this is the best i have watched in some years.

Overall i give it a 8.0 Blu ray makes the slow-mo scenes looks AMAZING! I really hope they make a second movie because if any remake deserves it i would say its this film.
  28. Apr 26, 2014
    This movie is amazing, I thought the reviews were underrated for this movie. Everything about this is epic and exhilarating and you'll want to stay till the very end but I would not recommend this movie to kids because of the violence, bad words, drug references and rape references.
  29. Apr 1, 2014
    Fantastic enjoyable and refreshing effort to bring the character to the screen once again. Great action, great sense of character and place. My only qualm is with the underwhelming scale of events chosen in the movie. In 2000AD megacity one was an overpopulated disgusting reflection of a commercially bound society and often shows this as a joke. Am guessing this stems from limits in budgetFantastic enjoyable and refreshing effort to bring the character to the screen once again. Great action, great sense of character and place. My only qualm is with the underwhelming scale of events chosen in the movie. In 2000AD megacity one was an overpopulated disgusting reflection of a commercially bound society and often shows this as a joke. Am guessing this stems from limits in budget for production and if it weren't for that slightly too small scale of mega city events portrayed I would say is 10/10 for getting that character on screen in a way that feels right. Expand
  30. Mar 7, 2014
    Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-rayMan, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
  31. Mar 4, 2014
    This movie is great. I can't explain it another way. Karl Urban is the perfect Judge Dredd, (and by the way... He doesn't take off the mask, Sylvester Stallone). This movie has its flaws, such as some poor writing, but it is fun, action-packed, violent, and straight up awesome. If you are even remotely a fan of the comics, see this. SEE THIS
  32. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    This film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not to mention Urban as Dredd was fantastic. 10/10 from a Dredd fan. 10/10 for not removing his helmet this time!
  33. Jan 28, 2014
    Dredd is the type of film which should be widely publicized and enjoyed by comic fans, action fans, and sci-fi fans, but gets overshadowed by inferior films such as Thor and Captain America and Man of Steel. It is way better by far than most of the big name super hero films - the story is tighter, the action is tougher - it is just plain good.
  34. Jan 24, 2014
    What is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing is very off putting to me.

Dredd: 8/10
  35. Jan 23, 2014
    This movie is underrated, for sure. You seriously couldn't ask for a better performances form Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby after watching this movie, because they did their best, and so did director Pete Travis.
  36. Jan 2, 2014
    I love this movie, and it gets a solid 8. the script shoulda contained more character development for Dredd and seemed a little to rigid, in progression. but Karl urban knows how to play the action hero well, and really makes this movie go. I loved the action from start to finish, it just seemed to be missing a few story elements that would of made this movie a 10 instead of an 8
  37. Dec 7, 2013
    Dredd is action packed. It is full of gore. It kept me on the edge of my seat. This is non stop action. Disturbing at times but that just adds to the dark and sinister tone of the movie. Dredd is the best movie of 2012.
  38. Oct 10, 2013
    This was, hands-down, one of the best action flicks I’ve seen in years. I was going to avoid it simply because the ‘90s version with Stallone was so awful, but a friend clued me in and I’m glad I listened to them. The new Dredd is excellent and not comparable at all to the old one.

The only knock against it is that it feels more like a pilot series episode than a proper movie. Not because it’s bad, but because it only explores a very small slice of the world of Judge Dredd and leaves you wanting more. It would be great if a network like Showtime or HBO picked this up for a regular series or if there will at least be a sequel made.
  39. Sep 7, 2013
    I loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movieI loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movie even better.

Keep in mind it is an "R" rated action movie, so it's more of a Guy Flick; where most women will think it´s too violent (and I only say this because I can see that women are not quite Dredd's target audience, that being said I do know quite a bit of girls who really liked this movie), and its definitely not a kid friendly movie.

The 3D part of the film is nothing exceptional for the most part but there are some scenes where it really pays off (the scenes with the slo-mo drug effect come to mind)

The plot is not over the top like it is with most Comic Book Movies, so don't be expecting a movie like any of the Marvel Movies or most CMBs; instead it has a very simplistic feel to it (don't get me wrong this is why it is so good), its a straight shoot em up film in it's core. You don't need to know anything about the Comic Book to enjoy the movie and if you do you'll only enjoy it more, I also liked how even when they introduce you to the characters it's not really a beginning story.

I saw the Stallone Judge Dredd movie back in the 90's and thought it was a classic Comic Book movie turned Hollywood. Two essential parts of the character of Dredd are his personality and his uniform and I always thought that by removing the helmet for most of the movie and changing the personality of Dredd they completely changed the Character, that together with softening the tone of the movie to an almost PG 13 kind of movie, and giving Dredd a comedic patsy sidekick in the form of Rob Schneider, were the reasons why Stallone's Judge Dredd was so awful. None of these things are present in Dredd (2012), this movie on the other hand is quite dark and crude which is very much the way Comic Book is.

I also thought Karl Urban's performance was right on, it fit the character perfectly and I appreciated the commitment he put to the role by sticking to what makes Dredd so great, and not demanding to have face time in the movie. Judge Anderson was also done amazingly, both in in the writing and the portrayal of the character played by Olivia Thirlby (I absolutely loved her!)
    The only downside of this movie was the villain, although the Ma-Ma character was ok and fit well into the Dredd Universe, I still would have liked a better villain, one that played opposite of Dredd, instead Ma-Ma is just a common thug turned drug lord which is nothing next to Dredd.

If you are not afraid of a bit of violence and blood on screen and are looking for a great movie to watch be sure to see Dredd.
  40. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a action great film if you just want to get away from the word for a few hours, Anyone who felt disappointed with the Stallone's Dredd then you'll enjoy this without a doubt.

However I'm glad that I rented it rather then paying full adult price to see it when it came out at the cinema
  41. Sep 2, 2013
    Violent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spouting hippy...or a bearded, chin-scratching, professorial sociologist...or anyone else who carries sentiments along these lines...i.e. if you are a Nancy,Violent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spouting hippy...or a bearded, chin-scratching, professorial sociologist...or anyone else who carries sentiments along these lines...i.e. if you are a Nancy, then you will not like this film. It was not made for you, so don't bother seeing it...or reviewing it. For the rest of us who can appreciate this genre without succumbing to the desire to become violent ourselves....bon appetite! Expand
  42. Aug 31, 2013
    This movie is fantastic and don't understand all the hate it gets from reviewers. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it because all the bad rap the first "judge Dredd" got, even though I haven't seen it. The story is actually very simple, which is a good thing in this case, and is not convoluted at all. It has one location in the story, again which is a good thing. IThis movie is fantastic and don't understand all the hate it gets from reviewers. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it because all the bad rap the first "judge Dredd" got, even though I haven't seen it. The story is actually very simple, which is a good thing in this case, and is not convoluted at all. It has one location in the story, again which is a good thing. I thought Karl Urban was great as Dredd and seemed to play a seasoned badass that showed his skills well. Some people think it's hard to cramn a multilayered story into an hour and a half, or even 2 hour, movie. This took a single layered story and spread it out to an hour and a half but filled it with entertainment with hardly a dull moment. Again this is a great film that should not be missed by action movie fans or fans of the comic. Expand
  43. Aug 30, 2013
    Great film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and it worked really well.

I doubt a sequel will happen but it would be amazing to see more of MegaCity1.
  44. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. so after hearing people say that this movie cant compare to Stallone's judge dredd i had to write this review. People who say judge dredd is better than dredd 3D are idiots they reckon that it is more like the comic books and that is total in Stallone's judge dredd they tried to add Rico dredd into the movie but he wasn't a cyborg like in the comics and he was on a prison on earth and then they tried to add the angel gang but made them cannibals. in dredd 3D they had Anderson who had her psychic ability's like in the comics it had the gore from the comics and he left his helmet on for the whole movie which is like the true judge dredd so all you idiots out there that like the Stallone version of judge dredd go and yourselves because that movie all over true dredd. Expand
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    "Dredd" has nothing innovative to offer that is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the disastrous 1995 version starring Sylvester Stallone. It has the atmosphere of a shoot 'em up video game, and the only thing that's missing is the wireless controller. Heads splatter and bullets rip"Dredd" has nothing innovative to offer that is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the disastrous 1995 version starring Sylvester Stallone. It has the atmosphere of a shoot 'em up video game, and the only thing that's missing is the wireless controller. Heads splatter and bullets rip through body parts at a relentless and continuous pace. "Dredd" is superbly designed and delivered with relentless carnage from all angles, and even more so impressively utilizing 3D. The sprawling “Slo-Mo” sequences are equally impressive as well. At a time when most comic book adaptations try to be all things to all people, “Dredd” savagely entertains for those with the stomach for it, and more than satisfies its intended base audience. Expand
  46. Aug 25, 2013
    Somehow lots of really great and original action films get underrated, and this one is not the exception. You see, if it would had been directed by Cameron or Nolan, it would have been praised by critics.
  47. Aug 14, 2013
    With viciously graphic violence, a sometimes dark sense of humor, and great special effects, this is one comic book adaptation that pulls off its source material in exciting, adrenaline rushing fashion.
  48. Jul 28, 2013
    Very well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to theVery well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to the original comic books, another thing I liked about this one. The music was good without being outstanding; it complemented the picture pretty well with some nice themes here and there. On the down side, I guess the script could have done with a little more work and they never get the Judges bikes right. They still look like a standard bike with a big faring tacked on; I maybe expected better this time. Loved all the various weapons and tech though! Over all, I enjoyed this one; it didn’t fall into cliché too much and had a nice gritty edge to it. I doubt they’ll make a sequel, but if they do, I will be in line for a ticket.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
  49. Jul 25, 2013
    Never knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, there was a lot of neat stuff alluded to as well. I enjoyed the actors and thought their performances were good. I enjoyed the music.
  50. Jul 18, 2013
    After the forgettable travesty that was Stallone's film in the 90s, finally Judge Dredd fans get the film they deserve. Well played by Urban, well directed, and beautifully shot, Dredd's only weakness is the villain. Fans wanted Judge Death, which would have been one of the sequels, but poor box office means this may not see the light of day. Violent and intended for an older audience,After the forgettable travesty that was Stallone's film in the 90s, finally Judge Dredd fans get the film they deserve. Well played by Urban, well directed, and beautifully shot, Dredd's only weakness is the villain. Fans wanted Judge Death, which would have been one of the sequels, but poor box office means this may not see the light of day. Violent and intended for an older audience, Dredd is a well executed action film and worthy of a watch. Expand
  51. Jul 7, 2013
    Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
  52. Jul 6, 2013
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem. The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
  53. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget for a second that the title character is the famous comic book character Judge Dredd. Ignore the low budget use of modern scenes and sets and vehicles. Ignore the ludicrous attempt to sci-fi up Dredd's motorcycle. All that is over in the first couple of minutes.

This plays out like an episode from a series a series I would LOVE to watch. A bad-ass veteran cop teams up with a psychic to investigate a routine homicide during what is essentially the rookie's final assessment test. Following a tip, they bust into the drug den of a local gang suspected of playing a role in the homicide. The gang then shuts down the building and tries to hunt the cops.

The good:
    Good action. Good suspense. Good pacing. Some good surprises.

The bad:
    At a critical moment, the psychic seems to forget she that her best weapon is her ability to get into people's minds. She could have defused a bad situation right there. OR, it could have been the plan all along to get her inside the gang's main defences without a fight, WHEREUPON she could unleash her mind control powers for some seriously interesting scenes NOT based on gunplay, AND we could avoid the whole damsel in distress routine.

Likewise, a certain perp was kept by the officers AFTER he had given them the information they wanted and AFTER (therefore) he'd outlived his usefulness to them. As one of the cops said earlier: he became a liability and they shouldn't have brought him along beyond that point.

I think the movie needed a stronger reason why this new drug is so much worse that other drugs. Sure, it's neat and all, but I don't get a real sense of peril out of knowing that this new drug is on the street when all it seems to do is alter one's perception.

Follow up that perception with homicidal psychosis, and then I'd be worried. Have the withdrawal be so bad that people go crazy trying to get money for their next hit, and then I'd be concerned. As it is, not so much.

That said: I'd have loved to see this become a TV series. I think it would be awesome to see this kind of drama every week.
  54. Jun 23, 2013
    The movie's story is very simplistic in nature. However, it's an action flick with the sole purpose of showcasing the pure dominance of Dredd and Judges. Karl Urban was a perfect casting choice for Dredd, a far better portrayal than that of Stalone in the 1995 movie.
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    This was a great movie. Anyone who likes action movies should love this. It has some of the same feel as the original Die Hard did. This is basically everything that a Judge Dredd movie should be.

If you like action movies, you owe it to yourself to at least see this one once. I already consider it an instant classic and I definitely see it as something that will get a cult following as more people find out about it.
  56. Jun 8, 2013
    Dredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn't much excess, just a grim, gritty slab of badass. Which keeps it pretty faithful to the origianal comic books.
  57. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm trying something a bit different to the other reviewers out there: a pithy review a doodle! I've got a few up so far, including one of the unfairly overlooked 'Dredd'. Check it out:

http://sketchy-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/overlooked-gem-of-week-d redd-2012.html

Thoughts/ruminations/random (ideally uncouth) comments, are very welcome.
  58. Jun 1, 2013
    At the start of this movie I was disappointed and started to think it would be a horrible remake but it turned out to be pretty good. Dredd is as bad ass as he should be. I love how he keeps that helmet on. I love how they didn`t add no comedy relief or romance crap like most other movies
  59. May 10, 2013
    Cracking film, kept the entertainment up throughout its running time, and stayed as faithful as it could to the books with what I assume is a smallish budget.

Well worth a watch if you want a meaty action film.
  60. May 6, 2013
    I was not expecting to enjoy this film so much!
    I watched the Sly Stallone "I am the LWLARW!!" version back in the day, and i liked it as a kid. However watching it as an adult i could see why my parents hated it!
    I was not expecting to enjoy this film so much!

This new movie was great! I had been waiting for some decent Sci-Fi to come out. The genre has been seriously suffering lately with great Hollywood science fiction films being few and far between!

I recommend Dredd for those who enjoy classic Sci-Fi and Action.

Worth a watch! (Extra point for not casting Rob Schneider as a stapler!)
  61. May 5, 2013
    I was shocked to see how low rated this movie was. It is one of my favorite films of all time. Well directed, well written, well acted, with good chemistry between the leads, and a scary villain. This is an excellent film all around, a good war story, and it rings true throughout. Highly recommended.
  62. May 1, 2013
    This was a Judge Dredd film done right. The Stallone movie was an insult to the comics, this one actually managed to capture the spirit of the comics and the characters well. I really enjoyed it, and would love to see another one made.
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    A great solid action gem, with entertaining set pieces, wry humor and surprisingly low key, subtle performances from the cast help elevate this film from its potential (and honestly expected) mediocrity. Maybe through fan support or a highly ambitious kick starter event we can see a return to Mega City 1
  64. Apr 18, 2013
    Great movie! Entertaining from start to finish. A way better film than Stallone's version by some way. No corny "i am the law" acting here. This version of Dredd is more convincing. The action is great and the visual effects are even better plus a thumping soundtrack to beat. Great stuff. the character development could have been better though
  65. Apr 13, 2013
    Dredd by Pete Travis, great movie, one of the best films of recent years cinecomics, funny, spectacular, has a good rhythm, but above all it is a film well balanced, great movie.
  66. Apr 9, 2013
    Finally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I justFinally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I just wish more than about 4 people went to go and see it Expand
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    If like me you are old enough to remember the old 2000AD comics that gave birth to Judge Dredd then you'll absolutely love this film.
    I think the only problem for this film is Stallone's very poor effort though I understand it has some weirdly cullt status was nothing about the Dredd charater. This film does get Dredd spot on. Dredd is not a super hero he is just a man with an extrodinary attitude and it's his conflited morality
  68. Apr 6, 2013
    Great fast paced action movie that really delivers the special effects and creativeness. One of the best soundtracks for a movie I've ever heard. Strong recommendation.
  69. Mar 24, 2013
    Fantastic movies. watch it tell others and enjoy. just like a good comic a slice of the life of dredd not the whole history jammed down your throat. a must watch
  70. Mar 23, 2013
    The 1995 version including Sylvester Stallone in tights was pure insult to the fans. The new Dredd in turn is loyal to the sarcastic, dark and violent nature of the original cult comic character. Judge Dredd finally has the kind of movie it long deserved.
  71. Mar 20, 2013
    Solid, very solid.

Solid, very solid.

I come into action films like these expecting to enjoy most of the 'show', but often find there are a few scenes where it feels counter intuitive (characters doing stupid things or not making obvious choices) or lines of dialogue that just don't fit and can irk you out of the immersion. You want to root for the main character until they do something dumb, right? Dredd didn't do this for me and that's a victory unto itself. The production was excellent, everything looked and felt right, nuff said. I think 3D is rubbish, but I'm sure for those that like it the SLO-MO scenes will dazzle them and only add to the experience.

I like a few would have liked a little more expansion on the main characters, but considering the very mysterious vibe around the two leads I think it probably would have detracted from the films atmosphere/direction. But, I think they've lined up a strong union between the main characters that would really lend to expanding on their backgrounds/working relationship for a future sequel.

I'm not really comfortable commenting on the comic to film adaptation element as it's been over a decade since I've read any of the 2000AD comics. But, I think any fan with reasonable expectations (Knows how the film industry works/sucks) will be happily surprised.

Bring on a sequel!
  72. Mar 3, 2013
    Dredd is pretty much a one and half hour video game with massive killings and brutal violence. The violence is over the top but holds together because of a stable story. A solid, interesting action film.
  73. Feb 19, 2013
    A well done and true adaptation of a comic book. Karl Urban delivers as the gruff and no nonsense Dredd. The story plays out almost perfectly as a comic book storyline---minus any and all background story. Its a perfect popcorn and rewatch movie.
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    Dredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wickedDredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wicked performances, Dredd 3D is the movie of the year! 10/10 MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST WATCH...... Expand
  75. Feb 5, 2013
    I had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all itsI had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all its own that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. Expand
  76. Jan 30, 2013
    "Oh god, here we go again with the superheroes, I wonder if I manage to sit through the entire movie". Were my initial thoughts. Boy was I wrong, best movie of 2012.
  77. Jan 28, 2013
    This is definitely destined to be a cult classic. The film is gritty yet beautiful. In HD it is outstanding. Worth the buy and definitely the rent. I loved it for what it was ... FUN.
  78. Jan 28, 2013
    I never write reviews, I just read all the user reviews (not the critics) to make my decision on whether I should watch a movie or not. I am really glad I decided to see Dredd, this is one of the coolest movies I have seen in the past five years, I did not expect the movie to be as gripping as it was. Awesome action, perfect amount of 'badass', great gore, and a very beautiful movie.
  79. Jan 27, 2013
    This Dredd (in contrast with the Stallone one) really reminded me of the comic character. The film and city atmosphere was also true and worthy of the comic equivalents. Nice action film and a must watch for fans and would be fans. (The users' reviews and scores on this one verified my trust on Metacritic's Users' ratings).
  80. Jan 26, 2013
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Perhaps it wasn't a box office success, but its difficult to reboot something that was so awful first time around, whatever the reason, Dredd deserves to get a cult status in more wyas than one.
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Set in a post-atomic age where the remaining humans live in 'mega-cities', the city is maintained through the law of 'judges', motorbike riding officers who deal with the overwhelming crime on the streets.
    Among the Judges is the most famed and feared of all...Dredd (Karl Urban).
    It has touches of Blade Runner and Terminator rolled into this hour and half action flick.
    Urban does a fantastic job as the lead character, conveying his emotion brilliantly, all the while while having to wear the helmet.
    Joining Dredd is rookie judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) who is also a psychic, Thirlby holds her own here, relatively unknown to most in terms of the action genre.
    On the other side of the coin is is Game of Thrones Lena Headey playing disturbed drud lord Ma-Ma, who is distributing a new drug Slo-Mo into the city.
    Dredd doesn't waste time trying to correct mistakes of its own genre, its goes full throttle into the film and doesnt hold back on blood, guts and all around gore...
  81. Jan 23, 2013
    Awesome movie, captures everything that I expect a dredd movie to have in it, I just hope that they make another movie with the 18 cert in it, way better than the Comedy that was released all those years ago with stalone in it.
  82. Jan 22, 2013
    This movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excelsThis movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excels at violence and the number of people getting murdered is quite astonishing. Another thing worth mentioning is the great soundtrack by Paul Leonard-Morgan who had also done an outstanding job in "Limitless". In brief - this is a solid bloody action movie definitely worth watching and it's a shame it failed in the box office. Expand
  83. Jan 21, 2013
    One of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you aOne of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you a fan of the character I recommend you watching. Expand
  84. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing film, I really enjoyed it. Great special effects, the blood was a bit off but thats nothing to worry about. The acting was really good, Dredd is a very dark character in this film. The character Anderson also fits well with Dredd.
  85. Jan 18, 2013
    Wow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent, intriguing, and scant on backstory. Too many action films take up too much time trying to give me a history lesson on the protagonist when all I wantWow, this one took me by surprise. In fact, had multiple friends not told me to see it, I would have avoided it completely, as the original (Judge Dredd) was quite a crap fest. This is exactly what an action movie should be...gritty, violent, intriguing, and scant on backstory. Too many action films take up too much time trying to give me a history lesson on the protagonist when all I want is some mindless action and violence. The movie delivers such in droves. It was very tasteful, but full of realistic violence that really draws you in. Very rare is it that a sequel can exceed the original by a long shot, but this movie does it and does it well. I cannot believe that the metacritic score is so low, this is a 10/10 all day long! Goes to show that critics never quite "get it." If you like action films, then you will be doing yourself a disservice by passing up Dredd, the most unexpected his of 2012. Expand
  86. Jan 17, 2013
    Wow what a great movie...and this was unexpected after i saw Stallone's Dredd. Urban absolutely nailed how Dredd is portrayed in the comics..He never takes his helmet off..and he's a complete hard ass. Even if your not a Dredd fan or never have read the comics, go see this movie! One of the best action flicks ive seen in a while! My only regret was not going to the theaters and watching it
  87. Jan 17, 2013
    I read the "real" critics reviews, what a bunch of pompous garbage. This Dredd was absolutely awesome and now I want more - how about 3 or 4 more to be exact.
  88. Jan 16, 2013
    If you liked the first movie with Sly Stalone, you will also like this movie. The special effects were good to excellent and the acting ( for this type of action movie) was good. I watched this as an Amazon rental for $3.99 and I felt like I got my money's worth.
  89. Jan 15, 2013
    Incredible film none stop action and very true to the original comic. Karl Urban did an amazing job as dredd and Olivia Thirlby was great as judge Anderson. The film is very character driven set firmly around dredd and his story there is no complicated story no massive stunts and cgi its just a simple gritty film a must buy just shows you don't need a three hour film that costs millions toIncredible film none stop action and very true to the original comic. Karl Urban did an amazing job as dredd and Olivia Thirlby was great as judge Anderson. The film is very character driven set firmly around dredd and his story there is no complicated story no massive stunts and cgi its just a simple gritty film a must buy just shows you don't need a three hour film that costs millions to make a great film. Expand
  90. Jan 12, 2013
    Compaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit forCompaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit for Dredd and the filmmakers don't make the mistake of using a comedic sidekick (Rob Schneider in 1995) to make it all more accessable to the general public. Shot in South Africa for a low 50m$ on Red One MX cameras (much like District 9) we get beautifull but gritty imagery and tons of high speed slomo shots intended to give you a detailed look at the gratuitous scifi violence. I loved this film but judging by the measly 30m$ it made worldwide it's going to be one for hardcore Dredd/Scifi fans. Hopefully it will do better business on DVD/BD and recieve a cult status in film history. Expand
  91. Jan 10, 2013
    Firstly would like to say, feel the plot is heavily borrowed from 'the raid:redemption' with an approach on an encamped tower block full of 'badies', however this Dredd film more so than the Stallone version is darker and closer to the original material and better for it.
    I liked the characters and the eye candy effects throughout the film.
    Pleasantly suprised that I enjoyed it as much.
  92. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but isThis is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but is never overbearingly dwelled on. For instance a man gets his hand blown off and it does show it but there are no unnecessary close ups or anything of the ilk. The only two real complaints come in the form of 0 character development ( which isn't needed in this kind of film, but still a problem) and the lack of a heart pounding finally that you really hope for in a movie like this. But overall this is a must see for any action movie fan. Expand
  93. Jan 6, 2013
    DIdn't watch the first Dredd movie, Didn't know anything about the series until I watched it movie. That being said, with an un-biased opinion, I really liked this movie. Action packed, Solid acting, and it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. Just a really enjoyable movie. I hope they make a sequel.
  94. Jan 5, 2013
    Along with many 2000AD lovers, I
  95. Jan 4, 2013
    When I saw the reviews I knew this would be good but I wasn't expecting it to be absolutely frikkin awesome. Everything about this film screams cool. The thumping futuristic music, the guns, the blood. Perfect in every way. One of the best sci fis I've seen. It has the feel of a cult classic. Totally blew me away
  96. Jan 1, 2013
    I loved it,the action was plenty-some the acting was descent and the plot was ok,all in all a watchable movie as long as you prepare yourself for what it seemed a never ending sequence of cgi content.

I would put this movie above transformers but below Ironman which I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Limited expectations make this a good movie to watch,once.
  97. Dec 31, 2012
    I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.

However, the dream of- simply take the established comic character and make the movie one adventure in the life of said character- has come to fruition in this movie. The acting is superb and unsettling with the askance visage of the villain. Dredd is played to his comic book perfection, or perhaps I would say some better than the stereotype version of himself he had become in later issues/graphic novels. Anderson is played in a very different way than her comic book counterpart and it isn't as a sex bomb psychic, but a fragile-seeming fractured innocent whose strength becomes clearly displayed in climactic ferocity towards the film's end.

The movie is full of violence, seemingly random and punishing. However, I dare say it decries violence completely. It truly shows in this apocalyptic setting how the innocent are in the crossfire and do suffer, and exhibits a painful helplessness of the civilians trapped in mega-tower societies. There are enough sub plots and subtle character dynamics/interactions that make this a joy to watch a few times over- plot and character development through subtle glances, grimaces, or psychic flashes. If that is not enough, then the visuals- some of the most colorful and pleasantly shocking slo-motion sequences I've encountered in either movie form or video game form.

Long story short- it is true to the comic, it is visually stunning- giving a very realistic presentation of the environment of megacity one after an apocalypse, provides admirable uncompromising heroes and detestable villains and a fun and entertaining dynamic between the insufferable Dredd and his new rookie.

Please- go see and support this movie, hopefully they'll do another one, or at least take another comic and do it --- Justice.
  98. sYs
    Dec 31, 2012
    Very well done movie in overall. Enjoyed it - though i think it had too much 'slow mo' in it. Such movies are needed to revive the sci/fi genre and honestly think - it's about time the Dredd gets the spotlight. One of the 2012 movies that i didn't regret watching in cinema.
  99. Dec 31, 2012
    My expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during theMy expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during the slo-mo scenes that that have a dream-like quality and really suck you in. Dark, unsentimental, with no attempt to pander to Hollywood tastes, i just hope there's a sequel despite the relatively disappointing box office showing. Expand
  100. Dec 30, 2012
    I was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatreI was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatre I was thoroughly impressed. Karl Urban was great (as was the rest of the acting) and it just deserves a better fate. Definitely warrants a blu-ray purchase IMO Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.