Dredd

8.8

1. Jan 21, 2013
    One of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you aOne of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you a fan of the character I recommend you watching. Expand
  2. Oct 30, 2015
    Good thing Hollywood waffled on its decision to remake "The Raid: Redemption," because I think we've forgotten about a special, little American action film with a similar plot that nearly matches it in both quality and spirit - "Dredd," a raucous, hypnotic, and criminally unsung action romp that truly deserves a sequel.
  3. Mar 3, 2013
    Dredd is pretty much a one and half hour video game with massive killings and brutal violence. The violence is over the top but holds together because of a stable story. A solid, interesting action film.
  4. Feb 17, 2013
    Dredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wickedDredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wicked performances, Dredd 3D is the movie of the year! 10/10 MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST WATCH...... Expand
  5. Jan 6, 2013
    DIdn't watch the first Dredd movie, Didn't know anything about the series until I watched it movie. That being said, with an un-biased opinion, I really liked this movie. Action packed, Solid acting, and it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. Just a really enjoyable movie. I hope they make a sequel.
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    Dredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn't much excess, just a grim, gritty slab of badass. Which keeps it pretty faithful to the origianal comic books.
  7. Dec 6, 2015
    " Dredd " is a movie was shockingly strong , and full of Thanksgiving , I loved the super- slow shocking scenes , especially the 3D vision of the movie .
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Perhaps it wasn't a box office success, but its difficult to reboot something that was so awful first time around, whatever the reason, Dredd deserves to get a cult status in more wyas than one.
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Set in a post-atomic age where the remaining humans live in 'mega-cities', the city is maintained through the law of 'judges', motorbike riding officers who deal with the overwhelming crime on the streets.
    Among the Judges is the most famed and feared of all...Dredd (Karl Urban).
    It has touches of Blade Runner and Terminator rolled into this hour and half action flick.
    Urban does a fantastic job as the lead character, conveying his emotion brilliantly, all the while while having to wear the helmet.
    Joining Dredd is rookie judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) who is also a psychic, Thirlby holds her own here, relatively unknown to most in terms of the action genre.
    On the other side of the coin is is Game of Thrones Lena Headey playing disturbed drud lord Ma-Ma, who is distributing a new drug Slo-Mo into the city.
    Dredd doesn't waste time trying to correct mistakes of its own genre, its goes full throttle into the film and doesnt hold back on blood, guts and all around gore...
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    Dirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. If you're a fan of graphic violence and lots of things blowing up, you will enjoy it. I really liked the overall grim look of the film and the actionDirty Harry meets Robocop. I really enjoyed this stark, graphic film. The plot is simple, but it is done well and is entertaining. It reminded me of a video game at times, but did have a comic book feel as well. The 3D was done well. If you're a fan of graphic violence and lots of things blowing up, you will enjoy it. I really liked the overall grim look of the film and the action sequences, and even laughed at some of the extreme violence, especially the bad guy's head smoking and blowing up. Watch out for Maw Maw!!!! Expand
  10. Nov 2, 2012
    Mindless, violent and amusing. Dredd 3D will entertain all viewers who watch it purely as a mindless action film, fuelled with blood and gore and dazzling visuals. A well executed, though plotless (intentionally) remake of an awful classic that actually works
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    Dredd, the final movie that be based on a comic book of this year, and what happen? The movie is awesome, have a great story with a really good development, the performances, the effects, all is incredible in this movie.
  12. Jun 1, 2013
    At the start of this movie I was disappointed and started to think it would be a horrible remake but it turned out to be pretty good. Dredd is as bad ass as he should be. I love how he keeps that helmet on. I love how they didn`t add no comedy relief or romance crap like most other movies
  13. May 12, 2014
    Dredd is a gritty action packed thrill ride with plenty of blood, gun fights, and dark humor for you to forget all about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie staring Sylvester Stallone. After giving this movie another watch it makes me wish that the new RoboCop movie had turned out more like this then maybe it could have been worth the watch. The setting of warn down, crime filled mega citiesDredd is a gritty action packed thrill ride with plenty of blood, gun fights, and dark humor for you to forget all about the 1995 Judge Dredd movie staring Sylvester Stallone. After giving this movie another watch it makes me wish that the new RoboCop movie had turned out more like this then maybe it could have been worth the watch. The setting of warn down, crime filled mega cities stretching across states gives you more of a sense of how bad things are in the future. The story follows two Judge's responding to a triple murder in a heavily crime populated area soon they find themselves fighting to stay alive against the local gang MA-MA and there leader Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) as they fight there way up 200 flights of stairs. Karl Urban as Judge Dredd was perfect i couldn't have ask for a better Judge Dredd, i have always been a fan of Karl Urban he can be a total badass like he is in this film but he can also be funny like he is in star trek. The humor in this is for sure dark but funny but nonetheless i chuckled a couple times because of Urban's dialog. The action scenes are totally awesome the movie starts out with a car chase and it doesn't let down from there with tons of shoot outs causing loads of bloody deaths. The drug in the movie that the MA-MA gang is making causes people to perceive time super slow so it looks like everything is in Slow-Mo when they take it and for that aspect alone you have to give credit to the moive for at least giving you a reason on why its being shown rather then just having it as a gimmick like in most movies nowadays. Even though i had only seen a couple of movies that Olivia Thirlby has been in i didn't really know who she was but she surprised me with holding her own that i ended up liking her a lot i figured her role would have only slowed down the film but i was wrong. The only problem i have with her is that she was able to read peoples minds and they never really get into how she was able to do it. The plot is simple but it doesn't take away with how awesome the movie is as a action movie this is the best i have watched in some years.

Overall i give it a 8.0 Blu ray makes the slow-mo scenes looks AMAZING! I really hope they make a second movie because if any remake deserves it i would say its this film.
  14. Aug 27, 2013
    "Dredd" has nothing innovative to offer that is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the disastrous 1995 version starring Sylvester Stallone. It has the atmosphere of a shoot 'em up video game, and the only thing that's missing is the wireless controller. Heads splatter and bullets rip"Dredd" has nothing innovative to offer that is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the disastrous 1995 version starring Sylvester Stallone. It has the atmosphere of a shoot 'em up video game, and the only thing that's missing is the wireless controller. Heads splatter and bullets rip through body parts at a relentless and continuous pace. "Dredd" is superbly designed and delivered with relentless carnage from all angles, and even more so impressively utilizing 3D. The sprawling “Slo-Mo” sequences are equally impressive as well. At a time when most comic book adaptations try to be all things to all people, “Dredd” savagely entertains for those with the stomach for it, and more than satisfies its intended base audience. Expand
  15. Sep 29, 2012
    It is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest of the film, it's previous scenes were so gut wrenchingly violently beautiful you couldn't look away. The thing I was most impressed with was the 3D. ItIt is an outstanding visual experience it relies not on character plot but the "fetishising" of it's violence. Some will be turned off by it I was thrilled by it. Although the film does not come to an epic climax that is set by the rest of the film, it's previous scenes were so gut wrenchingly violently beautiful you couldn't look away. The thing I was most impressed with was the 3D. It is the best 3D I have ever seen in any motion picture because it evokes a feeling, it transports you into the feeling of the person taking the drug. Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2012
    This movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D isThis movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D is far from the original. Expand
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    Very well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to theVery well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to the original comic books, another thing I liked about this one. The music was good without being outstanding; it complemented the picture pretty well with some nice themes here and there. On the down side, I guess the script could have done with a little more work and they never get the Judges bikes right. They still look like a standard bike with a big faring tacked on; I maybe expected better this time. Loved all the various weapons and tech though! Over all, I enjoyed this one; it didn’t fall into cliché too much and had a nice gritty edge to it. I doubt they’ll make a sequel, but if they do, I will be in line for a ticket.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
  18. Oct 4, 2012
    This wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood and gore than this isn't for you, but for the action lovers out there what are you waiting for? Go see Dredd now, and for once the 3d was actually worthThis wasn't just a great action spectacle but it was also a flat out good film. From the acting, to the action, to the visuals, to the story. It was just a great film. If you can't handle alot of loud explosions/ action or alot of blood and gore than this isn't for you, but for the action lovers out there what are you waiting for? Go see Dredd now, and for once the 3d was actually worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. 8/10 Expand
  19. Jan 1, 2015
    Critics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in the best ways possible, with awesome action pumping all the way through the film. The slo-mo drugs adds an ace colourful effect to scenes. Karl Urban nailsCritics totally got it wrong for Dredd. With Stallone's awful portrayal of Judge Dredd before, there was reason to be worried about another Dredd film. Luckily, it turned out one of the best action films of the year. Brutally violent in the best ways possible, with awesome action pumping all the way through the film. The slo-mo drugs adds an ace colourful effect to scenes. Karl Urban nails his role as Dredd with helmet staying on all through the film, being dry and using deadpan humour excellently. Such an underrated movie. So easy to watch with friends over and over again. Dredd 2 pleaaaaeesee soon! Expand
  20. Dec 26, 2012
    The use of slow motion is spectacular without being overdone. Every time the drug slomo is used you can bet on some outstanding visuals. A solid and fun, if empty, action film.
  21. Jan 4, 2013
    When I saw the reviews I knew this would be good but I wasn't expecting it to be absolutely frikkin awesome. Everything about this film screams cool. The thumping futuristic music, the guns, the blood. Perfect in every way. One of the best sci fis I've seen. It has the feel of a cult classic. Totally blew me away
  22. Jan 24, 2014
    What is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing is very off putting to me.

Dredd: 8/10
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    It was a really good futuristic action movie. I particularly do not like action movies, but this one worth the watch! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby shined in their roles. Lena Headey was not bad either, The action sequences were not too far fetched, and the violence while CGI, was realistic. Overall a solid action sci-fi movie!
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    Compaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit forCompaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit for Dredd and the filmmakers don't make the mistake of using a comedic sidekick (Rob Schneider in 1995) to make it all more accessable to the general public. Shot in South Africa for a low 50m$ on Red One MX cameras (much like District 9) we get beautifull but gritty imagery and tons of high speed slomo shots intended to give you a detailed look at the gratuitous scifi violence. I loved this film but judging by the measly 30m$ it made worldwide it's going to be one for hardcore Dredd/Scifi fans. Hopefully it will do better business on DVD/BD and recieve a cult status in film history. Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2013
    With viciously graphic violence, a sometimes dark sense of humor, and great special effects, this is one comic book adaptation that pulls off its source material in exciting, adrenaline rushing fashion.
  26. Jul 23, 2015
    4/5★ Dark, grungy and uncompromisingly violent, Dredd veers at times close to mockable B-movie territory, only to be pulled back by Urban's sheer force of will and strong chin. Olivia Thirlby is perfect as the empathic psychic paired with the uncompromising, unchanging Judge Dredd.
    The comparisons to The Raid: Redemption, both of them similar in setting and take on anarchy, is understandable but both are good films with different aesthetics.
    The drug infused slo-mo sequences are beautifully horrifying and in sharp contrast to the dark and frenzied action sequences.
    Verdict: Watch
  27. Mar 20, 2016
    Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid:Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid: Redemption, Dredd can claim to be sufficiently different to avoid being labeled a rip-off. It's also much closer to the comic book than the Hollywood-ized 1995 version that starred Sylvester Stallone in the title role.

This time around, Judge Dredd is played by Karl Urban, although you'd never know it was Doctor Leonard McCoy under the mask if not for the credits. As in the comics, Dredd never removes his mask, so the most we see of Urban are his lips and stubbled chin. Also, he speaks in a throaty growl that sounds a lot like Christian Bale's Batman. Dredd is less a character than an icon. He shows no emotion and, although he utters the occasional one-liner, he's as straightforward as they come. Think Robocop.

As in The Raid: Redemption, this is about an attempt by law enforcement officers to infiltrate a high rise building that has been co-opted by gangsters, fight their way to the top, and take out the chief bad guys. The Raid: Redemption is more bloody and visceral, but Dredd offers its own pleasures, chief of which is a scene of mayhem in which the villain, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), takes out an entire floor of the complex in a futile attempt to kill two judges. It's pretty spectacular stuff. And, once Dredd runs out of ammo, the level of tension escalates remarkably.

Dredd has an associate, rookie judge Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a mop-haired blond who eschews headgear. She is being assessed for a pass/fail grade by Dredd. Her test scores were judged "marginal," but she has been accorded an opportunity in the field because of her impressive psychic abilities. She's unprepared for Dredd's brutality, but adapts quickly. She also plays mind games with a prisoner they take during their initial raid of the Peach Tree high rise. Kay (Wood Harris) knows something about Ma-Ma that she doesn't want him to tell anyone, and Anderson goes mucking around in his mind out to find out what it is. It turns out that Peach Tree is ground zero for the manufacture and distribution of a new drug, Slo-Mo (makes the brain think time is moving at 1% of actual speed), and there's nothing Ma-Ma won't do to protect that secret. Trapping two judges in the building and hunting them down is child's play. Or so she thinks.

The action scenes are graphic and well choreographed with a slightly artistic edge. Visually, Dredd is impressive, with the digital rendering of Mega-City One offering the most satisfying helping of visual candy. Dredd was filmed in 3-D, but there are problems. Most of these occur during special effects-laden scenes that attempt to represent reality through a Slo-Mo filter. The 3-D comes across as artificial and overdone in these sequences. There is also noticeable blur during a few of the action scenes. Director Pete Travis does, however, solve the problem of things being too dark. Dredd has just about the right level of lighting.

If there's a serious disappointment, it's the villain. Ma-Ma, despite being played with over-the-top zest by Lena Headey, isn't a very impressive foil for the mighty Judge Dredd, even when she calls for "back-up." Heady is so inconsequential that the final confrontation seems more like an afterthought than an important moment in the story. It's a little like Superman confronting Lex Luthor, except in this case Lex doesn't have any Kryptonite on hand.

Unlike many post-apocalyptic scenarios, the one presented in Dredd offers sufficient glimpses of a dystopian future without overselling the dark, ugly miseries of this future. The background is strong enough to make some of the movie's more outlandish elements seem credible and to represent the dour Judge Dredd as a paragon of justice. There's also a fair amount of dark humor, often of the gallows variety, that never seems out-of-place. Not much of what Dredd has to offer is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly-paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the 1995 film, although not quite on par with The Raid: Redemption when it comes to pure, unexpurgated action.
  28. May 27, 2014
    Big fan of the comic, but this film was underwhelming. It all seemed very small scale, and the whole thing could easily have been set in the present day. Anderson was underused and the graphic violence was too gratuitous at times. I actually think I prefer the Stallone version; at least there's a lot more of the comic in that film.
  29. Jul 18, 2013
    After the forgettable travesty that was Stallone's film in the 90s, finally Judge Dredd fans get the film they deserve. Well played by Urban, well directed, and beautifully shot, Dredd's only weakness is the villain. Fans wanted Judge Death, which would have been one of the sequels, but poor box office means this may not see the light of day. Violent and intended for an older audience,After the forgettable travesty that was Stallone's film in the 90s, finally Judge Dredd fans get the film they deserve. Well played by Urban, well directed, and beautifully shot, Dredd's only weakness is the villain. Fans wanted Judge Death, which would have been one of the sequels, but poor box office means this may not see the light of day. Violent and intended for an older audience, Dredd is a well executed action film and worthy of a watch. Expand
  30. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing film, I really enjoyed it. Great special effects, the blood was a bit off but thats nothing to worry about. The acting was really good, Dredd is a very dark character in this film. The character Anderson also fits well with Dredd.
  31. Jan 23, 2014
    This movie is underrated, for sure. You seriously couldn't ask for a better performances form Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby after watching this movie, because they did their best, and so did director Pete Travis.
  32. Jan 22, 2013
    This movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excelsThis movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excels at violence and the number of people getting murdered is quite astonishing. Another thing worth mentioning is the great soundtrack by Paul Leonard-Morgan who had also done an outstanding job in "Limitless". In brief - this is a solid bloody action movie definitely worth watching and it's a shame it failed in the box office. Expand
  33. Feb 24, 2015
    DREDD (2012) is fun and nothing but bloody gutsy stylish well-shot fun. The film takes off and never really lets you go. It shies away from the much hated shaky cam that often ruins and pollutes good action movies, and instead boldly puts the action into your face.
  34. Sep 22, 2012
    This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty.This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty. This is a must see for anyone who's an action junky. Expand
  35. Oct 15, 2012
    Lena Headey She is one hell of a good actress. Her American accent in this film for a start is really convincing! Her best role ever in my opinion is Cersei from Game of Thrones. Such a vast difference between Cersei and Ma Ma, and she plays both roles to absolute perfection. Truly remarkable.
  36. Jan 16, 2013
    If you liked the first movie with Sly Stalone, you will also like this movie. The special effects were good to excellent and the acting ( for this type of action movie) was good. I watched this as an Amazon rental for $3.99 and I felt like I got my money's worth.
  37. Mar 7, 2014
    Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-rayMan, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
  38. Jul 6, 2015
    The fans have it over the critics on this one. Dredd is a violent visual treat. Karl Urban is perfect as Dredd, and Lena Heady is nearly as good as the prostitute-turned-crime lord Ma-ma. Olivia Thirlby holds her own. But the biggest star of this film is the way super-slow motion is mixed with a terrific soundtrack to make even the goriest scene in the film almost beautiful to watch.
  39. Oct 7, 2012
    I was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is one of those that doesn't exploit 3D for the sake of the thing. I can see how it would actually work well. The visuals are undeniably cool. And it'sI was particularly mad leaving this film. Not at it. But at myself. I had already conceded on the fact that I wouldn't be needing to see this in 3D. But don't make the same mistake I did. Go watch this one with the funny glasses. This is one of those that doesn't exploit 3D for the sake of the thing. I can see how it would actually work well. The visuals are undeniably cool. And it's obvious much preparation went in its delivery.
    I am sadly old enough to compare this one to the original one with Arnold. And it is by far a better narrative piece. Sure, back then it was the bells and whistles of the scifi angle, the Sharon Stone, and the Arnold bit. So we were all pretty well distracted. But now that time has passed... Screw that one. This one has testicles.
    Lena Headey as the villain is superb. I saw her in person at the Abbey the other night and she is particularly attractive in person. Her sight grabs on to you hard. But who knew she delivered just as much a hormonal effect with a scar across her face.
    Olivia Thirby played a refreshingly believable role as the rookie cop looking to grow some cojones to pull the trigger. And this is no little lady from Gossip Girl, for those of you who followed her here from there. That girl will put two in the chest and two in the face. Thank God they had the common sense to come up with an excuse to have her helmet removed. I mean... Karl Urban. Dude. You are cool and all, but that could be your cousin in there. Couldn't someone had blown off your helmet? You know? Give us our money's worth to see the actor we are here to root for? All jokes aside, when you see your cousin tell him he has my thumbs up. Good job.
    In any case, go watch this. It's modern cool and refreshing. Soda optional.
  40. Mar 23, 2013
    The 1995 version including Sylvester Stallone in tights was pure insult to the fans. The new Dredd in turn is loyal to the sarcastic, dark and violent nature of the original cult comic character. Judge Dredd finally has the kind of movie it long deserved.
  41. Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd is brilliant Science Fiction. Perfectly constructed, with a lean and clean narrative, and yet, sensitivity to each character and scene that raises the bar significantly for the genre. This movie is deeply intense, with strong delivery in visuals, art direction along with fantastic performances from every single actor in the film. It's scary, uncompromising and a work of art.
  42. Sep 28, 2012
    Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd.Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd. His lines and his Batman-esque voice made him very enjoyable to watch. Same thing for Lena Headey, who is what you expect from a villain of this sort: an evil woman who you want to see suffer. Dredd was a very pleasant surprise. If you like good action, go and see it. Expand
  43. Apr 25, 2013
    A great solid action gem, with entertaining set pieces, wry humor and surprisingly low key, subtle performances from the cast help elevate this film from its potential (and honestly expected) mediocrity. Maybe through fan support or a highly ambitious kick starter event we can see a return to Mega City 1
  44. Jan 27, 2013
    This Dredd (in contrast with the Stallone one) really reminded me of the comic character. The film and city atmosphere was also true and worthy of the comic equivalents. Nice action film and a must watch for fans and would be fans. (The users' reviews and scores on this one verified my trust on Metacritic's Users' ratings).
  45. Sep 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It didn't suck. That may not sound like high praise, but it's growing harder and harder to find a movie that doesn't disappoint after it's preview raised my interest. The introduction of the drug Slomo is an interesting gimmick. While it is just that; a gimmick, it's actually presented and used deftly within the confines of the story with becoming tiresome. In similar regard, the setting and visuals are well done, fitting with the theme of a post apocalyptic waste land that's not too far removed from the present. There's the ever present struggle between justice, despair, and innocence. This is most notable with the introduction of the corrupt judges representing justice failing. Our rookie represents our innocence, and before the end is done, she and we are a little less innocent but we retain our ideology. Dredd is the unyielding hard line of the law: the necessary evil of a necrotic city. We never see him without his helmet. He's the faceless arm of the cruel but necessary justice system. It's not an uplifting tale, but a parallel of Dante's Inferno. Instead of climbing deeper into the pit of hell, our rookie climbs high into the lair of a sadistic **** and in the process becomes darker herself. The brutality is compelling. There's no apology. Innocents are killed because that is what happens in a brutal world. MaMa murders dozens with gatling guns to eliminate the judges. When the medic is shot by the corrupt judges, there is no pause to contemplate or for effect. He made the wrong choice, trusted wrong people, and is now dead. The "wait" moment was cliche and predictable, but not tired. Best was our rookie running into the corrupt judge and without hesitation or dialogue, executes her. Again, no pause for effect. The ending is strong and almost poetic. It's not the comicbook, but thankfully, it's a far departure from Sly's misstep. Expand
  46. Dec 22, 2012
    A high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate thisA high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate this genre. I have given this film a lesser rating because when watching this film I am reminded of The Raid Redemption another great film, although this being different in its effect I believe it to have burrowed some of it's idea's from. Expand
  47. Sep 23, 2012
    DREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that heDREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that he is an actor playing a roll.
    This movie really shows you what someone can do with a limited budget and a decent plot. It does not try to pander to anyone, not the fans and certainly not the critics. Be warned, this movie is rated R for a reason. And and movie about the good Judge should be at least rated R.
  48. Feb 19, 2013
    A well done and true adaptation of a comic book. Karl Urban delivers as the gruff and no nonsense Dredd. The story plays out almost perfectly as a comic book storyline---minus any and all background story. Its a perfect popcorn and rewatch movie.
  49. Dec 30, 2012
    I was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatreI was reading up on the box office bombs of 2012 and saw this on the list and had to share my two cents about it. Style and action wise, as good as any action movie out there. The CGI was topnotch (and looked hella better than the Resident Evil sequel that came out this year). Storywise, what are people expecting. I had such low expectations for this movie, than when I left the theatre I was thoroughly impressed. Karl Urban was great (as was the rest of the acting) and it just deserves a better fate. Definitely warrants a blu-ray purchase IMO Expand
  50. Oct 8, 2012
    This film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering a lesson on what you believe is realistic/right/wrong, Karl Urban's Dredd embodies the executioner from the comics with all the unstoppable fury of aThis film is not one that tries to teach the moral lessons of law, punishment, whats right or wrong. The plot is supposed to be a straightforward affair. Judge Dredd's character does not change. He isn't supposed to. So instead of offering a lesson on what you believe is realistic/right/wrong, Karl Urban's Dredd embodies the executioner from the comics with all the unstoppable fury of a Juggernaut. For anyone who loved the comics, wants to see Judge Dredd for the character he really is, and can appreciate a well crafted and wonderfully done action flick with plenty of water-cooler moments, Dredd delivers. Expand
  51. Jan 28, 2014
    Dredd is the type of film which should be widely publicized and enjoyed by comic fans, action fans, and sci-fi fans, but gets overshadowed by inferior films such as Thor and Captain America and Man of Steel. It is way better by far than most of the big name super hero films - the story is tighter, the action is tougher - it is just plain good.
  52. Sep 23, 2012
    Urban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick and Olivia Thirlby does not disappoint as the successor to Diane Lane. The villains hit all the right Megacity notes though they are neutered a bit by a badUrban's Dredd is to Stallone's Dredd as Bale's Batman is to Keaton's Batman: lots more realism. Of course, I enjoyed both versions of each but that's the biggest distinction. Also, apparently, Dredd must have a hot rookie sidekick and Olivia Thirlby does not disappoint as the successor to Diane Lane. The villains hit all the right Megacity notes though they are neutered a bit by a bad case of the "talk too much" trope. Some wisecrack lines but nothing funny about this Dredd and that's a good thing. Of course, the Lawgiver shines in this version too. Buckets and buckets of practically unedited blood and gore. A faithful adaptation of the comic though the ending wasn't completely satisfying. Expand
  53. Sep 21, 2012
    One of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and thereOne of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and there isn't one slow moment the entire film. It's some of the best action I've ever seen and a very hard R rating, but if you don't mind that, jaw dropping and absolutely brutal violence, with a smart and simple plot that flows on its own, you'll love Dredd. Expand
  54. drm
    Sep 24, 2012
    So, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'TheSo, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'The Enforcer', set in a dystopian near-future. Karl Urban, who I think is one of the better actors of our time, nails the jaded, sometimes cruel, but ultimately justice serving, Dirty Harry-esque archetype. His character is refreshingly devoid of cornball one-liners, and never strays from his primary motivation. What was also refreshing, is that he keeps his helmet on through the whole movie. When I first heard that Dredd would be partnered up with a woman (Olivia Thirlby), I thought, "Oh no....here we go again with some cliché vamp, dressed up in a skin tight catsuit and heels." Thankfully they did not do that. She's in uniform, psychic, and deeply twisted. Damaged goods. This is a real smart move, and it adds a lot to the film. The violence, and gore, is Robocop level goodness, and much of it is treated in an almost artsy way. The soundtrack is as filthy as the scenery. Lots of distorted break beats, without any cornball attempts at dubstep. The other really nice touch about the soundtrack, are the drug sequences, which lovingly use the Nick Pittsinger styled 800% slow down filter. This works beautifully. The villain (Lena Headey) is superb. You really hate her. I haven't left the theater feeling so damn good, in a very long time. What's so sad, is that a lot of people are just gonna sleep on this film due to it's odd release time, the foul taste of the Stallone disaster still lingering in their mouths, and some really unfounded negative reviews. Do not sleep on this. Go see it. I will definitely buy this on DVD. Expand
  55. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, theThis is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, the pacing is fantastic; there's never a dull moment, and Urban is fantastic as the title character Dredd. If you love movies you owe it to yourself to see this movie, if we have any hope of another one of these movies being made then go see this GREAT action movie!!!!! Expand
  56. Oct 3, 2012
    The trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't haveThe trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't have anything negative to say about this movie other than Lena Headey's character was a little disappointing towards the end, she's set up to be this brutal, strong villain but then when confronted at the end she ends up being a coward and can't take on Dredd. True she wasn't that strong to take him on, but I expected there to at least be some sort of fight between them. The other thing is that it's not entirely original...? That didn't bother me though, since this movie was so well done and felt like something fresh. To those who are saying this is a Raid Redemption rip-off clearly have no clue what they're talking about since this movie was in production way before, and as much as I loved The Raid, it wasn't exactly original or groundbreaking either. Now onto the good things! As I mentioned it's not entirely original, we've seen the story and plot done a bunch of times but it's the way it's executed that makes it seem fresh again. I liked how well they illustrate what the city life is like: poor, filthy, and full of crime. It really made me even more invested in this world. For a movie with a budget of around $45 million the effects are surprisingly well done. It could probably compete alongside some of the bigger budgeted films of the summer. The 3-D, unlike most of the movies that have come out in 3-D, is surprisingly well done. This is probably one of the best uses of 3-D this year so far alongside The Avengers, Prometheus, and yes Step up Revolution. I guess it's because like those movies, it was shot in 3-D. I only noticed mild blurriness, particularly during some of the action scenes but it wasn't discomforting to the eyes. Other than that the 3-D was good, it was mostly clear, wasn't murky, and there wasn't any low lighting that I noticed. It wasn't used as a gimmick like most 3-D is, the best are the slo-mo scenes in 3-D. While I wouldn't call the characters three-dimensional(no pun intended) at least there was some characterization, which, I hate to say it The Raid lacked. I cared about these two judges, I was rooting for them the whole time and if you can manage to get me to do that, that's a big plus in my book. The actors all managed to play their characters well. Lena Headey was great with her over-the-top performance as the evil Ma-ma. Olivia Thirlby also stood out as playing the Psychic. I thought she did a great job with her transformation if you want to call it that. She seems nervous and a little scared in the beginning and it seems like she's definitely not cut out to be a Judge, the best example would be when she has to shoot someone and she can't find it in herself. Then she just turns into a complete bad ass, killing people like it's nothing and wanting to get out at no cost. I also liked how she wasn't a damsel in distress when she gets taken, she shows that she is capable of handling herself. I was afraid the movie was going to veer into that cliched path but luckily it didn't and I was pleasantly surprised by that. I was also pleasantly surprised by Karl Urban. I was skeptic of him because he does not strike me as an action/superhero-like person but he proved me wrong sort of like how Ryan Gosling proved me wrong last year with Drive. It's nice to see this happen once in a while and Karl Urban shows that he has no problem playing the role. I personally can't see anyone else playing this character but him now. He is one bad ass. This movie is definitely not for the squeamish as I found myself once in a while squirming around in my seat. The action scenes are well-shot, there's no obnoxious shaky-cam that'll give you a headache afterwards. The pulse-pounding score elevates the action and tension. It's sad that scores like these get unnoticed by the academy. Overall, this is one of the biggest surprises to me of 2012 so far. I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I did. Sure it's not original but who cares when it's done as well as this. The Ma-Ma(Lena Headey) thing was disappointing but not so much that it completely ruined my enjoyment of the film because everything else was fantastic. The characters, the special effects, the score, the acting, and the well-shot action scenes all elevate the proceedings dramatically. This is such a great and fun movie that it should appeal to people outside of the action-junky demographic. Expand
  57. Mar 14, 2015
    "As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his"As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his character out of the park, and Thirlby is amazing - fantastic chemistry between the two. Film has a feel like Carpenter's classic Escape From New York. Props to the director and film crew for creating this amazing film. Highly recommended. Hope there'll be a sequel, it's an absolute must. 9/10 Expand
  58. Sep 21, 2012
    No need to dread this Dredd. Karl Urban nails the title character, and staying true to the comic book, that helmet never comes off. The audience is introduced to Dredd's world through the eyes of Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, beautifully played by Olivia Thirlby. The movie starts off with a bang, and doesn't let up. Stylish and violent, this is one of the better comic adaptations this year.
  59. Mar 4, 2014
    This movie is great. I can't explain it another way. Karl Urban is the perfect Judge Dredd, (and by the way... He doesn't take off the mask, Sylvester Stallone). This movie has its flaws, such as some poor writing, but it is fun, action-packed, violent, and straight up awesome. If you are even remotely a fan of the comics, see this. SEE THIS
  60. Oct 14, 2012
    this is an absolutely mind glowingly awesome picture. it's eyegasm after eyegasm strung together by a story full of bad ass little moments. the scope is fairly small, but it fleshes it out so well that you will allow it. just pray we one day get a sequel.
  61. Sep 23, 2012
    I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days. Dredd is dark in tone but colorful, and interesting, and gritty and, most importantly, believable as a world. Karl Urban is great in the role.I haven't been as eager to see a movie in the theater, opening weekend as I was to see Dredd. This movie was pretty much everything I wanted it to be and addressed a lot of my concerns over the watering down of action films these days. Dredd is dark in tone but colorful, and interesting, and gritty and, most importantly, believable as a world. Karl Urban is great in the role. Everything about the movie seemed like attention had been paid to it from the sets to the story. Is it freaking Shakespear?? No! But, it's damn fun for 90 minutes. That's right, 90 minutes! None of this 2 hour plus crap. Look, there are exceptions but Battleship ain't one of 'em. But as far as Dredd is concerned, the plot is cohesive and makes sense. And there are some clever little twists here and there. I can't say enough about how badass Dredd is. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't care for action films. I know that sounds close-minded and maybe it is a bit, but as the user reviews on this site show, Dredd has done something right for a change. Expand
  62. Nov 17, 2015
    The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun. simple but clever story, great effects and Karl Urban does a brilliant job as Dredd. Highly recommendable.
  63. Apr 18, 2013
    Great movie! Entertaining from start to finish. A way better film than Stallone's version by some way. No corny "i am the law" acting here. This version of Dredd is more convincing. The action is great and the visual effects are even better plus a thumping soundtrack to beat. Great stuff. the character development could have been better though
  64. Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic film! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby (must admit, never heard of her before) work really well together! Had the perfect mix of action and story/ character building. And the 3D was nicely done too. Didn't find it distracting at all and was used in just the right places.

Bit weird seeing Lena Headey as a gritty character though, as used to her being the pretty one in film/ TV.
  65. Apr 13, 2013
    Dredd by Pete Travis, great movie, one of the best films of recent years cinecomics, funny, spectacular, has a good rhythm, but above all it is a film well balanced, great movie.
  66. Dec 20, 2015
    Surprisingly good adaptation of Judge Dredd. Skip the 1995 film and give this one a watch, if you are a fan of the comic. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes action movies with slick visuals.
  67. Jul 7, 2013
    Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
  68. Mar 24, 2016
    Cinematography is very well done, Karl Urban is faithful to the character, I'm surprised I haven't seen more of Olivia Thirlby after this movie. Great use of a lower budget. The only criticisms I can think of is there's a lot of creeping around corridors with handguns and the fact that there isn't a sequel.
  69. Jan 17, 2013
    I read the "real" critics reviews, what a bunch of pompous garbage. This Dredd was absolutely awesome and now I want more - how about 3 or 4 more to be exact.
  70. May 29, 2016
    So fresh, so gory, so badass, top notch aesthetics and visuals, good one liners, the story progression and breathing space between the action is spot on, story is simple but the is told is incredible satisfying and leaves much for the thought a sort of madmax fury road.

There might big some missteps but these are too minor and correcting them might hurt other good aspects.. It's a perfect 10 for me I want to see a sequel!
  71. Jul 25, 2013
    Never knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, there was a lot of neat stuff alluded to as well. I enjoyed the actors and thought their performances were good. I enjoyed the music.
  72. Oct 26, 2012
    best movie ever. all that needs to be said. best movie ever. apparently review has to be 150 characters long. so.......
    best movie ever
    best movie ever
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    One of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately itOne of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately it had a great many flaws as well. Some of the casting choices were poor, and the Anderson character being a Barbie doll didn't make sense given her role and the setting. The ending was predictable, the 3D was unimpressive and Dredd himself is probably the flattest character in the history of characters. This guy shows no emotion, no change, no growth, no humanity whatsoever. He might as well have been a machine. However despite these flaws, Dredd 3D is a good watch and sucks you in from start to finish. B+ Expand
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    Incredible film none stop action and very true to the original comic. Karl Urban did an amazing job as dredd and Olivia Thirlby was great as judge Anderson. The film is very character driven set firmly around dredd and his story there is no complicated story no massive stunts and cgi its just a simple gritty film a must buy just shows you don't need a three hour film that costs millions toIncredible film none stop action and very true to the original comic. Karl Urban did an amazing job as dredd and Olivia Thirlby was great as judge Anderson. The film is very character driven set firmly around dredd and his story there is no complicated story no massive stunts and cgi its just a simple gritty film a must buy just shows you don't need a three hour film that costs millions to make a great film. Expand
  75. Apr 1, 2014
    Fantastic enjoyable and refreshing effort to bring the character to the screen once again. Great action, great sense of character and place. My only qualm is with the underwhelming scale of events chosen in the movie. In 2000AD megacity one was an overpopulated disgusting reflection of a commercially bound society and often shows this as a joke. Am guessing this stems from limits in budgetFantastic enjoyable and refreshing effort to bring the character to the screen once again. Great action, great sense of character and place. My only qualm is with the underwhelming scale of events chosen in the movie. In 2000AD megacity one was an overpopulated disgusting reflection of a commercially bound society and often shows this as a joke. Am guessing this stems from limits in budget for production and if it weren't for that slightly too small scale of mega city events portrayed I would say is 10/10 for getting that character on screen in a way that feels right. Expand
  76. Dec 25, 2014
    After two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenes should be done, brilliantly choreographed and when slow motion shots occur, they are breathtaking, things like blood hitting a wall look stunning at aAfter two and half years I finally saw Dredd the other night and I was right to want to see it, Karl Urban is a complete badass as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby is just great as Anderson. The action is a true example of how action scenes should be done, brilliantly choreographed and when slow motion shots occur, they are breathtaking, things like blood hitting a wall look stunning at a tiny fraction of it's normal speed and glass flying look like diamonds. I can't say enough how happy I am after seeing this movie and it is probably one of the last good r rated movies that isn't dumbed down for kids to see which makes me disappointed in the industry now. Hopes of a sequel are all but impossible but if there ever is, I will be the first in line for the this art movie. Expand
  77. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but isThis is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but is never overbearingly dwelled on. For instance a man gets his hand blown off and it does show it but there are no unnecessary close ups or anything of the ilk. The only two real complaints come in the form of 0 character development ( which isn't needed in this kind of film, but still a problem) and the lack of a heart pounding finally that you really hope for in a movie like this. But overall this is a must see for any action movie fan. Expand
  78. Dec 6, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyable action film. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd...perfectly cast. The supporting cast is also excellent; I especially enjoyed Lena Headey's performance as the Villainous Ma-Ma. Hope there is a sequel to this eventually.
  79. Dec 2, 2015
    Easily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distracted with itself.

It was a very wise move on the part of Director Pete Travis to focus the attention of this film in one location rather than across the entirety of Megacity 1.

Mama (Lena Headey) felt so true to the spirit of Judge Dredd as a gang-leader in the 2000AD universe that I could've sworn she was taken directly from the comic books.

Karl Urban made a fantastic Judge Dredd, with a straight, autonomous, and unemotional by-the-book keeper of the law which, again, felt so faithful to the original comics.

The shooting of the 'slow-mo' scenes were again so fantastically done and so entrancingly beautiful and cinematic that they really did paint the picture of the effects of this drug in this world.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this immensely underrated film to fans of the 2000AD comics, as well as fans of sci-fi action and comic book films in general.
  80. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget for a second that the title character is the famous comic book character Judge Dredd. Ignore the low budget use of modern scenes and sets and vehicles. Ignore the ludicrous attempt to sci-fi up Dredd's motorcycle. All that is over in the first couple of minutes.

This plays out like an episode from a series a series I would LOVE to watch. A bad-ass veteran cop teams up with a psychic to investigate a routine homicide during what is essentially the rookie's final assessment test. Following a tip, they bust into the drug den of a local gang suspected of playing a role in the homicide. The gang then shuts down the building and tries to hunt the cops.

The good:
    Good action. Good suspense. Good pacing. Some good surprises.

The bad:
    At a critical moment, the psychic seems to forget she that her best weapon is her ability to get into people's minds. She could have defused a bad situation right there. OR, it could have been the plan all along to get her inside the gang's main defences without a fight, WHEREUPON she could unleash her mind control powers for some seriously interesting scenes NOT based on gunplay, AND we could avoid the whole damsel in distress routine.

Likewise, a certain perp was kept by the officers AFTER he had given them the information they wanted and AFTER (therefore) he'd outlived his usefulness to them. As one of the cops said earlier: he became a liability and they shouldn't have brought him along beyond that point.

I think the movie needed a stronger reason why this new drug is so much worse that other drugs. Sure, it's neat and all, but I don't get a real sense of peril out of knowing that this new drug is on the street when all it seems to do is alter one's perception.

Follow up that perception with homicidal psychosis, and then I'd be worried. Have the withdrawal be so bad that people go crazy trying to get money for their next hit, and then I'd be concerned. As it is, not so much.

That said: I'd have loved to see this become a TV series. I think it would be awesome to see this kind of drama every week.
  81. May 13, 2015
    A bit surprised by the low critic score for this. Some of the most visually striking scenes I've seen in a while, combined with some smart scifi and great characters. This is basically what a modern take on Robocop should be. While there is quite a bit of gruesome violence, the use of violence smartly feeds into its dark humor and the general post-apocalyptic setting of Mega City One.
  82. Feb 5, 2013
    I had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all itsI had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all its own that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. Expand
  83. Jun 23, 2013
    The movie's story is very simplistic in nature. However, it's an action flick with the sole purpose of showcasing the pure dominance of Dredd and Judges. Karl Urban was a perfect casting choice for Dredd, a far better portrayal than that of Stalone in the 1995 movie.
  84. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a action great film if you just want to get away from the word for a few hours, Anyone who felt disappointed with the Stallone's Dredd then you'll enjoy this without a doubt.

However I'm glad that I rented it rather then paying full adult price to see it when it came out at the cinema
  85. Nov 18, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I was expecting a remake of the light hearted and silly Judge Dredd movie from 1995 but Dredd is nothing like that. It's a well made action/sci-fi film with an excellent cast, creative use of special effects and a more serious approach to the story without making it boring or cheesy. It's a great action movie, an instant fav for me.
  86. BMF
    Oct 4, 2012
    Gather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutal violence of any film I have watched. Dredd himself is like an extremly angry Batman who has said **** it" to his no killing rule and decided to clean upGather some of your strong stomached buddys and go see this movie it will not dissapoint. The action in this movie is allmost non stop and extremly graphic, Dredd definitely earns its R rating and has some of the most realistic and brutal violence of any film I have watched. Dredd himself is like an extremly angry Batman who has said **** it" to his no killing rule and decided to clean up the city with gunfire. Expand
  87. Oct 18, 2012
    The most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel to take us back there again. I feel legitimately sorry for those people that are not seeing this film because they are basing their opinion of it off ofThe most fun that I have had watching an action movie in the theater since T2. A tightly paced thrill ride that combines great characters with great acting. The world is also very well conceived and I cannot wait for the inevitable sequel to take us back there again. I feel legitimately sorry for those people that are not seeing this film because they are basing their opinion of it off of the Stallone version that came out decades ago. For me, this was the biggest cinematic surprise of the year. Expand
  88. Nov 6, 2012
    Now that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far too spaced.3-The Lawmasters were laughable.4-Most importantly,Dredd passed Anderson.That would never happen...A re-evaluation by Dredd himself(sequel)Now that's what I call a proper Judge Dredd film and I've never felt so fanboish in my life!There were precisely 4 things wrong with it though.1-Not futuristic enough.2-The Mega-City looked more like LA than NY as the Mega Blocks were far too spaced.3-The Lawmasters were laughable.4-Most importantly,Dredd passed Anderson.That would never happen...A re-evaluation by Dredd himself(sequel) would be an outside chance at best.Those minor/major gripes aside,I loved it.NOW DO BAD COMPANY and ROGUE TROOPER! Expand
  89. sYs
    Dec 31, 2012
    Very well done movie in overall. Enjoyed it - though i think it had too much 'slow mo' in it. Such movies are needed to revive the sci/fi genre and honestly think - it's about time the Dredd gets the spotlight. One of the 2012 movies that i didn't regret watching in cinema.
  90. Jul 2, 2014
    A nice simple action movie. Very stylish,easy to follow story,good effects. It does however have incredibly over the top violence so not one for the faint of heart.
  91. Jan 28, 2013
    This is definitely destined to be a cult classic. The film is gritty yet beautiful. In HD it is outstanding. Worth the buy and definitely the rent. I loved it for what it was ... FUN.
  92. Oct 4, 2012
    I absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not a familiar comic book character in America, but honestly its one of my favorite comicbook to movie adaptions alongside the likes of Avengers and Batman. ItI absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not a familiar comic book character in America, but honestly its one of my favorite comicbook to movie adaptions alongside the likes of Avengers and Batman. It has humour but its pretty dark, lots of violence and blood. Karl Urban nailed the character and the writing was very true to the comic book. It respected the characters and story. Dredd in the comics never ever took of his helmet and if he did, you dont see his face. This is actually very important to the Dredd character and the fact that Karl Urban never takes of his helmet in the movie gives the character more depth. Even the actress who played Judge Anderson was good for the role. The pacing was awsome, keeping my attention the whole time. I loved this movie and its sad it didnt do too well at the box office simply because its not based on a Marvel or DC supehero. I would love a sequel to be made. Im dying for the blu-Ray to come out. And this review is coming from someone who isnt familiar with the character. I never really followed the comics. But the movie in itself is good enough to make me a fan of the character. And its a movie Id proudly have alongside my avengers and Dark knight Blu-Ray collection. Expand
  93. Apr 6, 2013
    If like me you are old enough to remember the old 2000AD comics that gave birth to Judge Dredd then you'll absolutely love this film.
    I think the only problem for this film is Stallone's very poor effort though I understand it has some weirdly cullt status was nothing about the Dredd charater. This film does get Dredd spot on. Dredd is not a super hero he is just a man with an extrodinary attitude and it's his conflited morality
  94. Dec 7, 2013
    Dredd is action packed. It is full of gore. It kept me on the edge of my seat. This is non stop action. Disturbing at times but that just adds to the dark and sinister tone of the movie. Dredd is the best movie of 2012.
  95. Apr 16, 2015
    Love this movie awesome affects Urban is a great actor for dred. Dred fans should love and appreciate this movie I hope they make another dred movie.
  96. Sep 23, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had at the movies in AGES. I had lost faith in movies after Prometheus, and against all odds Dredd gave me hope again. It isn't necessarily anything groundbreaking, but it is one heck of a great feel good movie.
  97. Jul 6, 2013
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem. The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
  98. Oct 20, 2012
    In a world where only a thin line separates right from injustice and there is no time and resources to maintain order in the gentle way. The person responsible for this movie must have been raised in such world to express it the way he did. It was a movie in which simply every single second catched my whole attention. I felt like as if I could have watched it for 4 hours and wouldn't get bored.
  99. Sep 24, 2012
    A surprise in every way imaginable. From sporting a world akin to Blade Runner's grungy vision of the future to a main character able to somehow back up his impossible frown with how awesome he is, this movie will blow you away if you give it the chance to.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.