Dredd

8.8

1. Sep 24, 2012
    A surprise in every way imaginable. From sporting a world akin to Blade Runner's grungy vision of the future to a main character able to somehow back up his impossible frown with how awesome he is, this movie will blow you away if you give it the chance to.
  2. sYs
    Dec 31, 2012
    Very well done movie in overall. Enjoyed it - though i think it had too much 'slow mo' in it. Such movies are needed to revive the sci/fi genre and honestly think - it's about time the Dredd gets the spotlight. One of the 2012 movies that i didn't regret watching in cinema.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    The trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't haveThe trailers didn't leave that much of an impression on me, and based on the box office, the same can be said with pretty much everyone else. It wasn't until the flood of good reviews that my interest peaked and now I'm glad I saw it and got to experience it. For those who aren't sure, go see it! I hope this movie makes enough money to warrant a sequel because it deserves one. I don't have anything negative to say about this movie other than Lena Headey's character was a little disappointing towards the end, she's set up to be this brutal, strong villain but then when confronted at the end she ends up being a coward and can't take on Dredd. True she wasn't that strong to take him on, but I expected there to at least be some sort of fight between them. The other thing is that it's not entirely original...? That didn't bother me though, since this movie was so well done and felt like something fresh. To those who are saying this is a Raid Redemption rip-off clearly have no clue what they're talking about since this movie was in production way before, and as much as I loved The Raid, it wasn't exactly original or groundbreaking either. Now onto the good things! As I mentioned it's not entirely original, we've seen the story and plot done a bunch of times but it's the way it's executed that makes it seem fresh again. I liked how well they illustrate what the city life is like: poor, filthy, and full of crime. It really made me even more invested in this world. For a movie with a budget of around $45 million the effects are surprisingly well done. It could probably compete alongside some of the bigger budgeted films of the summer. The 3-D, unlike most of the movies that have come out in 3-D, is surprisingly well done. This is probably one of the best uses of 3-D this year so far alongside The Avengers, Prometheus, and yes Step up Revolution. I guess it's because like those movies, it was shot in 3-D. I only noticed mild blurriness, particularly during some of the action scenes but it wasn't discomforting to the eyes. Other than that the 3-D was good, it was mostly clear, wasn't murky, and there wasn't any low lighting that I noticed. It wasn't used as a gimmick like most 3-D is, the best are the slo-mo scenes in 3-D. While I wouldn't call the characters three-dimensional(no pun intended) at least there was some characterization, which, I hate to say it The Raid lacked. I cared about these two judges, I was rooting for them the whole time and if you can manage to get me to do that, that's a big plus in my book. The actors all managed to play their characters well. Lena Headey was great with her over-the-top performance as the evil Ma-ma. Olivia Thirlby also stood out as playing the Psychic. I thought she did a great job with her transformation if you want to call it that. She seems nervous and a little scared in the beginning and it seems like she's definitely not cut out to be a Judge, the best example would be when she has to shoot someone and she can't find it in herself. Then she just turns into a complete bad ass, killing people like it's nothing and wanting to get out at no cost. I also liked how she wasn't a damsel in distress when she gets taken, she shows that she is capable of handling herself. I was afraid the movie was going to veer into that cliched path but luckily it didn't and I was pleasantly surprised by that. I was also pleasantly surprised by Karl Urban. I was skeptic of him because he does not strike me as an action/superhero-like person but he proved me wrong sort of like how Ryan Gosling proved me wrong last year with Drive. It's nice to see this happen once in a while and Karl Urban shows that he has no problem playing the role. I personally can't see anyone else playing this character but him now. He is one bad ass. This movie is definitely not for the squeamish as I found myself once in a while squirming around in my seat. The action scenes are well-shot, there's no obnoxious shaky-cam that'll give you a headache afterwards. The pulse-pounding score elevates the action and tension. It's sad that scores like these get unnoticed by the academy. Overall, this is one of the biggest surprises to me of 2012 so far. I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I did. Sure it's not original but who cares when it's done as well as this. The Ma-Ma(Lena Headey) thing was disappointing but not so much that it completely ruined my enjoyment of the film because everything else was fantastic. The characters, the special effects, the score, the acting, and the well-shot action scenes all elevate the proceedings dramatically. This is such a great and fun movie that it should appeal to people outside of the action-junky demographic. Expand
  4. Oct 26, 2012
    best movie ever. all that needs to be said. best movie ever. apparently review has to be 150 characters long. so.......
    best movie ever
    best movie ever
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    Awesome. If you like Judge Dredd comics or just like fun violent action movies (this one feels like a throw back to movies like Running Man or something) check it out. Notice that most of the good critic reviews came from more respectable reviewers.
  6. Oct 2, 2012
    I am a scifi fan. I love good action, good stories, and most of the the visual appeal in scifi movies. Movies that get your mind free of this world's bindings and brings something new to the table. Dredd 3D is its own movie in that you are thrust into the world of Mega City, be only a small part of the city, but still you get a glimpse of how massive it is. This Dredd movie could have beenI am a scifi fan. I love good action, good stories, and most of the the visual appeal in scifi movies. Movies that get your mind free of this world's bindings and brings something new to the table. Dredd 3D is its own movie in that you are thrust into the world of Mega City, be only a small part of the city, but still you get a glimpse of how massive it is. This Dredd movie could have been better written, offered more in depth into the world, instead they dealt with what budget they had to work with. Amazing that $50 million in producing a movie doesn't get you a lot lot more but still I appreciate the fact that it was done at all. Science fiction and fantasy movies are extremely difficult to make so I back them with votes with dollars. Dredd is not a bad movie, it does feel a bit lacking in depth, but it was well done. Wish it did much better in theaters because the world of Dredd could explore a lot more than it already has. Expand
  7. Sep 29, 2012
    spiritual successor to a sadly underrated action movie, punisher: war zone. cross that movie with robocop and you have a pretty good idea of what dredd is about - grim, darkly funny, gruesomly over the top violence, and some beautiful cinematography. the 3D was great too (i could have practically watched an hour and a half of the psychedelic slow motion scenes).
  8. Sep 25, 2012
    Seems a lot of the negative reviews scoff at poor Karl Urban's scowling under a mask as a major negative point of the movie just highlights just how completely and painfully obviously the cricits are unaware that this is probably *THE DEFINING CHARACTER TRAIT* of the original Dredd, which in the comic is true to the extent that he even wears the helmet in the bath!
    I think the problem
    I think the problem there though is that Karl (who appears to be a genuine fan) happens to have nailed the character, which to be fair, *really is* just a talking helmet with a big chin and an ever bigger gun and by that I mean Pathos just really isn't Dredd and yes while Karl could do a lot more or even take the helmet off ala Stallone it would be wrong and unjust to the source to do so hence why I think it's disingenuous to criticise the movie for delivering the character as described. It would be just a big a character derailment as having Vincent Vega break out into a Mary Poppins routine while dancing with Mia Wallace, it's something that we all know John Travolta and Uma Thurman *could* do but it would be so very very wrong to do so (although lets be honest it would be funny).

The movie is much darker and closer to the source material and I think it's a great way to reboot Dredd to erase the mess that was the Stallone effort while paving the way bigger things in the future (hopefully!!)
  9. Apr 18, 2013
    Great movie! Entertaining from start to finish. A way better film than Stallone's version by some way. No corny "i am the law" acting here. This version of Dredd is more convincing. The action is great and the visual effects are even better plus a thumping soundtrack to beat. Great stuff. the character development could have been better though
  10. Sep 27, 2012
    One of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately itOne of the better surprises this year. On the outside it looks like a cheap action flick, doing away with the campiness of the original and trying to go for more of a Dark Knight feel. I have to say that it somewhat pulled that off and gave an entertaining experience. The writing was strong, the performances were good and bad, and the action was superb given its budget. Unfortunately it had a great many flaws as well. Some of the casting choices were poor, and the Anderson character being a Barbie doll didn't make sense given her role and the setting. The ending was predictable, the 3D was unimpressive and Dredd himself is probably the flattest character in the history of characters. This guy shows no emotion, no change, no growth, no humanity whatsoever. He might as well have been a machine. However despite these flaws, Dredd 3D is a good watch and sucks you in from start to finish. B+ Expand
  11. Dec 25, 2012
    this movie was made with respect and love to original material. sweet little details. good main characters. it just deserved larger budget.
    megaton of fun
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    This is the dredd film you've been waiting for. It will not disappoint and it's close to the source material. If you're looking for a bad ass action hero and want some entertainment, then this is it.

You don't really care for much of the characters except for the villain (MaMa) and hero (dredd). Dredd is the focus point and he is a bad ass. The director did a great job on the city and you really feel like it is a corrupt and decadent city where law enforcement officers can judge, jury and execute criminals on the spot.

As I watched the film I was being surprised again and again. They really outdid themselves and it's a large improvement over the 1995 film with stallone. The plot is there, it fits in perfect and you won't question the plot or the motives of what each character does in the film. It is somewhat simple. I think this has a better plot than The Expendables 2 so if you were thinking it might be the same, then the plot is a bit better than that.

The acting is average. It's good but there's nothing worth noting or exciting nor is there any acting that is bad. It's just okay and the only acting you need to care for is Dredd and Karl Urban nailed his performance as Judge Dredd.

The film has a good pace and the action length was on the spot. I never felt bored while the action was going on or I didn't stop caring after a while when the action becomes too long. But this film was perfect in the action.

The 3D affects were surprisingly good for once with the slow motion affects and this is coming from someone who is not fond of 3D. If you are a comic book fan of Judge Dredd and want to see a good judge dredd movie then, this is it.
  13. Oct 3, 2012
    Dont let the poor box office fool you, Dredd is everything a comic book movie should be. This will be a cult classic! The violence is over the top but succeeds at never becoming comical. Karl Urbans performance is top notch. You can tell they did their homework!
  14. Mar 3, 2013
    Dredd is pretty much a one and half hour video game with massive killings and brutal violence. The violence is over the top but holds together because of a stable story. A solid, interesting action film.
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    This movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excelsThis movie is not a masterpiece, but neither a failure, it's a well-filmed brutal action **** There isn't much to say about the plot really, but it works well and the basic principle is borrowed from "Raid: Redemption". The judges' uniform looks a bit comic, and Dredd's mouth always looks like he's constantly smelling **** Anyway, the core of the movie is a non-stop gory action. It excels at violence and the number of people getting murdered is quite astonishing. Another thing worth mentioning is the great soundtrack by Paul Leonard-Morgan who had also done an outstanding job in "Limitless". In brief - this is a solid bloody action movie definitely worth watching and it's a shame it failed in the box office. Expand
  16. Jan 12, 2013
    Compaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit forCompaired to this film the original 1995 'Judge Dredd' seems like a kids movie. They keep the action tight, brutal and extremely bloody. Dredd never takes his helmet off and that helps in representing him more as an emotionless, unstoppable justice dealing machine. The human element is provided by young Olivia Thirlby who is a Judge rookie with psychic powers. She's an exellent fit for Dredd and the filmmakers don't make the mistake of using a comedic sidekick (Rob Schneider in 1995) to make it all more accessable to the general public. Shot in South Africa for a low 50m$ on Red One MX cameras (much like District 9) we get beautifull but gritty imagery and tons of high speed slomo shots intended to give you a detailed look at the gratuitous scifi violence. I loved this film but judging by the measly 30m$ it made worldwide it's going to be one for hardcore Dredd/Scifi fans. Hopefully it will do better business on DVD/BD and recieve a cult status in film history. Expand
  17. Oct 9, 2012
    I think it's a fun movie, with a lot of action and blood.
    And that is what i was promised by the trailer.
    Performances are good, specially the girl from Juno.
  18. Jan 10, 2013
    Firstly would like to say, feel the plot is heavily borrowed from 'the raid:redemption' with an approach on an encamped tower block full of 'badies', however this Dredd film more so than the Stallone version is darker and closer to the original material and better for it.
    I liked the characters and the eye candy effects throughout the film.
    Pleasantly suprised that I enjoyed it as much.
  19. Dec 6, 2015
    " Dredd " is a movie was shockingly strong , and full of Thanksgiving , I loved the super- slow shocking scenes , especially the 3D vision of the movie .
  20. Mar 20, 2016
    Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid:Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid: Redemption, Dredd can claim to be sufficiently different to avoid being labeled a rip-off. It's also much closer to the comic book than the Hollywood-ized 1995 version that starred Sylvester Stallone in the title role.

This time around, Judge Dredd is played by Karl Urban, although you'd never know it was Doctor Leonard McCoy under the mask if not for the credits. As in the comics, Dredd never removes his mask, so the most we see of Urban are his lips and stubbled chin. Also, he speaks in a throaty growl that sounds a lot like Christian Bale's Batman. Dredd is less a character than an icon. He shows no emotion and, although he utters the occasional one-liner, he's as straightforward as they come. Think Robocop.

As in The Raid: Redemption, this is about an attempt by law enforcement officers to infiltrate a high rise building that has been co-opted by gangsters, fight their way to the top, and take out the chief bad guys. The Raid: Redemption is more bloody and visceral, but Dredd offers its own pleasures, chief of which is a scene of mayhem in which the villain, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), takes out an entire floor of the complex in a futile attempt to kill two judges. It's pretty spectacular stuff. And, once Dredd runs out of ammo, the level of tension escalates remarkably.

Dredd has an associate, rookie judge Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a mop-haired blond who eschews headgear. She is being assessed for a pass/fail grade by Dredd. Her test scores were judged "marginal," but she has been accorded an opportunity in the field because of her impressive psychic abilities. She's unprepared for Dredd's brutality, but adapts quickly. She also plays mind games with a prisoner they take during their initial raid of the Peach Tree high rise. Kay (Wood Harris) knows something about Ma-Ma that she doesn't want him to tell anyone, and Anderson goes mucking around in his mind out to find out what it is. It turns out that Peach Tree is ground zero for the manufacture and distribution of a new drug, Slo-Mo (makes the brain think time is moving at 1% of actual speed), and there's nothing Ma-Ma won't do to protect that secret. Trapping two judges in the building and hunting them down is child's play. Or so she thinks.

The action scenes are graphic and well choreographed with a slightly artistic edge. Visually, Dredd is impressive, with the digital rendering of Mega-City One offering the most satisfying helping of visual candy. Dredd was filmed in 3-D, but there are problems. Most of these occur during special effects-laden scenes that attempt to represent reality through a Slo-Mo filter. The 3-D comes across as artificial and overdone in these sequences. There is also noticeable blur during a few of the action scenes. Director Pete Travis does, however, solve the problem of things being too dark. Dredd has just about the right level of lighting.

If there's a serious disappointment, it's the villain. Ma-Ma, despite being played with over-the-top zest by Lena Headey, isn't a very impressive foil for the mighty Judge Dredd, even when she calls for "back-up." Heady is so inconsequential that the final confrontation seems more like an afterthought than an important moment in the story. It's a little like Superman confronting Lex Luthor, except in this case Lex doesn't have any Kryptonite on hand.

Unlike many post-apocalyptic scenarios, the one presented in Dredd offers sufficient glimpses of a dystopian future without overselling the dark, ugly miseries of this future. The background is strong enough to make some of the movie's more outlandish elements seem credible and to represent the dour Judge Dredd as a paragon of justice. There's also a fair amount of dark humor, often of the gallows variety, that never seems out-of-place. Not much of what Dredd has to offer is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly-paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the 1995 film, although not quite on par with The Raid: Redemption when it comes to pure, unexpurgated action.
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    Very well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to theVery well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to the original comic books, another thing I liked about this one. The music was good without being outstanding; it complemented the picture pretty well with some nice themes here and there. On the down side, I guess the script could have done with a little more work and they never get the Judges bikes right. They still look like a standard bike with a big faring tacked on; I maybe expected better this time. Loved all the various weapons and tech though! Over all, I enjoyed this one; it didn’t fall into cliché too much and had a nice gritty edge to it. I doubt they’ll make a sequel, but if they do, I will be in line for a ticket.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
  22. Jul 6, 2013
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem. The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
  23. Dec 6, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyable action film. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd...perfectly cast. The supporting cast is also excellent; I especially enjoyed Lena Headey's performance as the Villainous Ma-Ma. Hope there is a sequel to this eventually.
  24. May 27, 2014
    Big fan of the comic, but this film was underwhelming. It all seemed very small scale, and the whole thing could easily have been set in the present day. Anderson was underused and the graphic violence was too gratuitous at times. I actually think I prefer the Stallone version; at least there's a lot more of the comic in that film.
  25. Nov 17, 2015
    The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun. simple but clever story, great effects and Karl Urban does a brilliant job as Dredd. Highly recommendable.
  26. Dec 2, 2015
    Easily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distracted with itself.

It was a very wise move on the part of Director Pete Travis to focus the attention of this film in one location rather than across the entirety of Megacity 1.

Mama (Lena Headey) felt so true to the spirit of Judge Dredd as a gang-leader in the 2000AD universe that I could've sworn she was taken directly from the comic books.

Karl Urban made a fantastic Judge Dredd, with a straight, autonomous, and unemotional by-the-book keeper of the law which, again, felt so faithful to the original comics.

The shooting of the 'slow-mo' scenes were again so fantastically done and so entrancingly beautiful and cinematic that they really did paint the picture of the effects of this drug in this world.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this immensely underrated film to fans of the 2000AD comics, as well as fans of sci-fi action and comic book films in general.
  27. Mar 14, 2015
    "As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his"As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his character out of the park, and Thirlby is amazing - fantastic chemistry between the two. Film has a feel like Carpenter's classic Escape From New York. Props to the director and film crew for creating this amazing film. Highly recommended. Hope there'll be a sequel, it's an absolute must. 9/10 Expand
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    Never knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, there was a lot of neat stuff alluded to as well. I enjoyed the actors and thought their performances were good. I enjoyed the music.
  29. Jan 24, 2014
    What is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing is very off putting to me.

Dredd: 8/10

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.