Lionsgate | Release Date: September 21, 2012
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 1040 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Fritzler87Oct 9, 2012
I think it's a fun movie, with a lot of action and blood.
And that is what i was promised by the trailer.
Performances are good, specially the girl from Juno.
Briancl25Sep 27, 2012
This movie is an action movie, and nothing more. I usually hate action movies with no plot, but I was surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It is fun and Dredd delivers a few one liners that show how much of a bad-ass he is.
medical_domJan 10, 2013
Firstly would like to say, feel the plot is heavily borrowed from 'the raid:redemption' with an approach on an encamped tower block full of 'badies', however this Dredd film more so than the Stallone version is darker and closer to theFirstly would like to say, feel the plot is heavily borrowed from 'the raid:redemption' with an approach on an encamped tower block full of 'badies', however this Dredd film more so than the Stallone version is darker and closer to the original material and better for it.
I liked the characters and the eye candy effects throughout the film.
Pleasantly suprised that I enjoyed it as much.
FlippySuperSep 23, 2012
Im a gore fan.But i also like a realistic action story.This movie was plausible,not so great.The best were the deaths (holy sh** they cant get more violent than this)so,if you want to see a movie when you only care for the blood,and notIm a gore fan.But i also like a realistic action story.This movie was plausible,not so great.The best were the deaths (holy sh** they cant get more violent than this)so,if you want to see a movie when you only care for the blood,and not story,you will find this movie the best ever. Expand
sexydadeeJun 13, 2013
Acting was good, Urban portrayed Dredd well and Olivia was a natural with her Anderson character. What gets on my nerves is the low budget props. The cars were 80's, the mega city was like a normal 20th century metropolis and doesnt evenActing was good, Urban portrayed Dredd well and Olivia was a natural with her Anderson character. What gets on my nerves is the low budget props. The cars were 80's, the mega city was like a normal 20th century metropolis and doesnt even look like America. And the plot came from a recycle bin. Dredd is like a "futuristic" (in quotes because like I mentioned before, props are dredd-full) version of The Raid (2011). Expand
bcollins39302Aug 30, 2013
This Dredd movie had very good special effects in comparison to the 1995 Judge Dredd movie, but used them very obnoxiously. Practically half of the movie was slow motion, and in scenes where it was totally unnecessary. I had to stop myselfThis Dredd movie had very good special effects in comparison to the 1995 Judge Dredd movie, but used them very obnoxiously. Practically half of the movie was slow motion, and in scenes where it was totally unnecessary. I had to stop myself from fast forwarding through the annoying slow mo scenes of people blowing smoke.

The plot was more believable than the plot in the 1995 version, but it was ridiculously simple.
Right before I watched Dredd I watched Event Horizon, and it had negative reviews by critics for having ridiculous volumes of blood spilling everywhere, this movie had the same sort of unbelievable gore.
SeyfiaOct 11, 2014
Great action movie. Not to see if violence and gore isn't your thing. However, the lack of scenario at all and some incoherences makes it a bit funny. Not to see in France for the voices are terrible.
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
This movie has some good action and good special effects but I didn't care for Karl Urban playing Judge Dredd. It would've been nice to see a more well known actor playing this hero. I liked the effects that they showed for people that wereThis movie has some good action and good special effects but I didn't care for Karl Urban playing Judge Dredd. It would've been nice to see a more well known actor playing this hero. I liked the effects that they showed for people that were on drugs. Dredd 2 is likely a possibility. Expand
CineAutoctonoDec 6, 2015
" Dredd " is a movie was shockingly strong , and full of Thanksgiving , I loved the super- slow shocking scenes , especially the 3D vision of the movie .
Shadiac1985Sep 10, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Dredd" is your typical die-hard-type movie following multiple well-known cliches throughout the story. It features a guy who takes on a crime mob alongside his poorly-developed female sidekick/character, eventually hinting to the issues of corruption within his own structure, and a Hollywood ending. I mean, you can't be typical and stereotypes than that today. However, I won't say that I totally hated the movie. There were some quite enjoyable punchlines delivered by Dredd, whose reticence and sharp wit are somewhat vaguely reminiscent of Batman's. Plus the shooting of the action scenes was rather good. Overall, it's a one-night-stander in terms of cinema that you could watch when you're bored, have a laugh or two (graphic scenes warning!) and forget about completely the next morning. Expand
EpicLadySpongeMay 7, 2016
Yikes! Dredd got away with an universal acclaim user score. That's a bit too much, don't you think? I tried to enjoy it too because Dredd got an user score it never deserved in the first place, but it never worked anyways. It's just plainly okay.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
Originally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of theOriginally, Dredd, the second motion picture incarnation of the British comic book hero, was due for a mid-August U.S. release. Distributor Lionsgate, buoyed by a positive reactions at advance screenings, decided to move the film out of the "dumping ground" wasteland of late summer and into the earliest days of autumn. Despite obvious (but mostly superficial) similarities to The Raid: Redemption, Dredd can claim to be sufficiently different to avoid being labeled a rip-off. It's also much closer to the comic book than the Hollywood-ized 1995 version that starred Sylvester Stallone in the title role.

This time around, Judge Dredd is played by Karl Urban, although you'd never know it was Doctor Leonard McCoy under the mask if not for the credits. As in the comics, Dredd never removes his mask, so the most we see of Urban are his lips and stubbled chin. Also, he speaks in a throaty growl that sounds a lot like Christian Bale's Batman. Dredd is less a character than an icon. He shows no emotion and, although he utters the occasional one-liner, he's as straightforward as they come. Think Robocop.

As in The Raid: Redemption, this is about an attempt by law enforcement officers to infiltrate a high rise building that has been co-opted by gangsters, fight their way to the top, and take out the chief bad guys. The Raid: Redemption is more bloody and visceral, but Dredd offers its own pleasures, chief of which is a scene of mayhem in which the villain, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), takes out an entire floor of the complex in a futile attempt to kill two judges. It's pretty spectacular stuff. And, once Dredd runs out of ammo, the level of tension escalates remarkably.

Dredd has an associate, rookie judge Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a mop-haired blond who eschews headgear. She is being assessed for a pass/fail grade by Dredd. Her test scores were judged "marginal," but she has been accorded an opportunity in the field because of her impressive psychic abilities. She's unprepared for Dredd's brutality, but adapts quickly. She also plays mind games with a prisoner they take during their initial raid of the Peach Tree high rise. Kay (Wood Harris) knows something about Ma-Ma that she doesn't want him to tell anyone, and Anderson goes mucking around in his mind out to find out what it is. It turns out that Peach Tree is ground zero for the manufacture and distribution of a new drug, Slo-Mo (makes the brain think time is moving at 1% of actual speed), and there's nothing Ma-Ma won't do to protect that secret. Trapping two judges in the building and hunting them down is child's play. Or so she thinks.

The action scenes are graphic and well choreographed with a slightly artistic edge. Visually, Dredd is impressive, with the digital rendering of Mega-City One offering the most satisfying helping of visual candy. Dredd was filmed in 3-D, but there are problems. Most of these occur during special effects-laden scenes that attempt to represent reality through a Slo-Mo filter. The 3-D comes across as artificial and overdone in these sequences. There is also noticeable blur during a few of the action scenes. Director Pete Travis does, however, solve the problem of things being too dark. Dredd has just about the right level of lighting.

If there's a serious disappointment, it's the villain. Ma-Ma, despite being played with over-the-top zest by Lena Headey, isn't a very impressive foil for the mighty Judge Dredd, even when she calls for "back-up." Heady is so inconsequential that the final confrontation seems more like an afterthought than an important moment in the story. It's a little like Superman confronting Lex Luthor, except in this case Lex doesn't have any Kryptonite on hand.

Unlike many post-apocalyptic scenarios, the one presented in Dredd offers sufficient glimpses of a dystopian future without overselling the dark, ugly miseries of this future. The background is strong enough to make some of the movie's more outlandish elements seem credible and to represent the dour Judge Dredd as a paragon of justice. There's also a fair amount of dark humor, often of the gallows variety, that never seems out-of-place. Not much of what Dredd has to offer is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly-paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the 1995 film, although not quite on par with The Raid: Redemption when it comes to pure, unexpurgated action.
Andys_ReviewsJul 28, 2013
Very well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. GreatVery well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to the original comic books, another thing I liked about this one. The music was good without being outstanding; it complemented the picture pretty well with some nice themes here and there. On the down side, I guess the script could have done with a little more work and they never get the Judges bikes right. They still look like a standard bike with a big faring tacked on; I maybe expected better this time. Loved all the various weapons and tech though! Over all, I enjoyed this one; it didn’t fall into cliché too much and had a nice gritty edge to it. I doubt they’ll make a sequel, but if they do, I will be in line for a ticket.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
IOMDutchJul 6, 2013
Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem. The story, on the
Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
shadow47Dec 6, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable action film. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd...perfectly cast. The supporting cast is also excellent; I especially enjoyed Lena Headey's performance as the Villainous Ma-Ma. Hope there is a sequel to this eventually.
DukeJonMay 27, 2014
Big fan of the comic, but this film was underwhelming. It all seemed very small scale, and the whole thing could easily have been set in the present day. Anderson was underused and the graphic violence was too gratuitous at times. I actuallyBig fan of the comic, but this film was underwhelming. It all seemed very small scale, and the whole thing could easily have been set in the present day. Anderson was underused and the graphic violence was too gratuitous at times. I actually think I prefer the Stallone version; at least there's a lot more of the comic in that film. Expand
Bruce722Sep 6, 2013
I have never read the comics so I can't judge Dredd from that perspective, no pun intended. I have seen the original film and now this one so I have judged both of them as stand alone movies. The original movie had a few main weaknesses and II have never read the comics so I can't judge Dredd from that perspective, no pun intended. I have seen the original film and now this one so I have judged both of them as stand alone movies. The original movie had a few main weaknesses and I thought this one addressed all of those. I thought the weaknesses of Stallone's Dredd were the lazy writing, the cheesy 1980's styling, and the numerous plot holes. Karl Urban's Dredd kept the high entertainment value, well done action sequences, and unique setting that is Mega-City One and with the corrected flaws, you would think it would be a much better movie. Not so much. While it lost the cheesy 1980's effects, it replaced them with possibly worse made-for-3D cinematic effects that do nothing for the movie and only drag out a not-so-interesting plot. The gore factor was also a bit high. While I am never one to have any issues with violence or anything, I thought this movie was overdone and felt unnecessary. An analogy would be profane language versus a little teenage boy who feels like he has to use profanity to look cool. I don't have a problem with profanity but when it feels forced, it's just stupid. The overly graphic nature of some of the scenes in this film are like that. They felt forced at times and took away from the movie. The plot is also very, VERY different from the original. Essentially they kept the setting and the protagonist and stripped everything else away and just expanded upon the initial sequence from the first film enough to make an entire movie out of it. While I think they did a good job with it, the oversimplified approach wasn't entirely engaging. Urban and Olivia Thirlby do a solid job as the main characters, though, and the film is entertaining so I'd still suggest checking it out if you get a chance. Expand
Jes1310Nov 17, 2015
The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun.The first Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone was just plain awful. I loved the extreme (in both comedy and violence) comic way back. I watched the new Dredd last night and did´nt have any expectations what so ever. I was just great fun. simple but clever story, great effects and Karl Urban does a brilliant job as Dredd. Highly recommendable. Expand
AnnatarYoungDec 2, 2015
Easily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distractedEasily one of the greatest comic book films ever made, especially considering this film's meager budget. It was dark, it was gritty, it was complex enough to keep you interested but focused enough to not throw you off and get too distracted with itself.

It was a very wise move on the part of Director Pete Travis to focus the attention of this film in one location rather than across the entirety of Megacity 1.

Mama (Lena Headey) felt so true to the spirit of Judge Dredd as a gang-leader in the 2000AD universe that I could've sworn she was taken directly from the comic books.

Karl Urban made a fantastic Judge Dredd, with a straight, autonomous, and unemotional by-the-book keeper of the law which, again, felt so faithful to the original comics.

The shooting of the 'slow-mo' scenes were again so fantastically done and so entrancingly beautiful and cinematic that they really did paint the picture of the effects of this drug in this world.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this immensely underrated film to fans of the 2000AD comics, as well as fans of sci-fi action and comic book films in general.
DreadLordAvatarMar 14, 2015
"As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done"As for you Ma Ma.....JUDGEMENT TIIIME" --- WOW, just wow, what a ride, love it!! Dredd's lines are so insanely awesome, this film is an instant classic. Story is interesting keeps you at the edge of your seat, visuals are very well done and gritty, and sound effects/music is absolutetly amazing (the Bluray 7.1 soundtrack is reference/demo quality). Urban completely knocked his character out of the park, and Thirlby is amazing - fantastic chemistry between the two. Film has a feel like Carpenter's classic Escape From New York. Props to the director and film crew for creating this amazing film. Highly recommended. Hope there'll be a sequel, it's an absolute must. 9/10 Expand
5hassayJul 25, 2013
Never knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, thereNever knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, there was a lot of neat stuff alluded to as well. I enjoyed the actors and thought their performances were good. I enjoyed the music. Expand
ReubenIsAGodJan 24, 2014
What is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing isWhat is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing is very off putting to me.

Dredd: 8/10
slipperyJun 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget for a second that the title character is the famous comic book character Judge Dredd. Ignore the low budget use of modern scenes and sets and vehicles. Ignore the ludicrous attempt to sci-fi up Dredd's motorcycle. All that is over in the first couple of minutes.

This plays out like an episode from a series a series I would LOVE to watch. A bad-ass veteran cop teams up with a psychic to investigate a routine homicide during what is essentially the rookie's final assessment test. Following a tip, they bust into the drug den of a local gang suspected of playing a role in the homicide. The gang then shuts down the building and tries to hunt the cops.

The good:
Good action. Good suspense. Good pacing. Some good surprises.

The bad:
At a critical moment, the psychic seems to forget she that her best weapon is her ability to get into people's minds. She could have defused a bad situation right there. OR, it could have been the plan all along to get her inside the gang's main defences without a fight, WHEREUPON she could unleash her mind control powers for some seriously interesting scenes NOT based on gunplay, AND we could avoid the whole damsel in distress routine.

Likewise, a certain perp was kept by the officers AFTER he had given them the information they wanted and AFTER (therefore) he'd outlived his usefulness to them. As one of the cops said earlier: he became a liability and they shouldn't have brought him along beyond that point.

I think the movie needed a stronger reason why this new drug is so much worse that other drugs. Sure, it's neat and all, but I don't get a real sense of peril out of knowing that this new drug is on the street when all it seems to do is alter one's perception.

Follow up that perception with homicidal psychosis, and then I'd be worried. Have the withdrawal be so bad that people go crazy trying to get money for their next hit, and then I'd be concerned. As it is, not so much.

That said: I'd have loved to see this become a TV series. I think it would be awesome to see this kind of drama every week.
ChuckwheelSep 23, 2012
This was a near perfect adaptation of the comic books. As a lifelong fan I absolutely loved it. Please don't compare it to the terrible Stallone version, this was the real Dredd. It was very hardcore and earns it r-rating, but beneath theThis was a near perfect adaptation of the comic books. As a lifelong fan I absolutely loved it. Please don't compare it to the terrible Stallone version, this was the real Dredd. It was very hardcore and earns it r-rating, but beneath the relatively simple premise, there is a LOT going on. It is stuffed full of easter-eggs for us fans. Definitely worth multiple viewings. Do yourself a favor and go see it. Best superhero movie of the summer! Expand
MathewDorrellSep 30, 2012
From the gruff introductory monologue, Dredd sets up the pieces for a thrill ride that rarely lets up for the next 90 minutes. The soundtrack blares and screeches, the electronic inspired mix matching and accentuating every inspired shot thatFrom the gruff introductory monologue, Dredd sets up the pieces for a thrill ride that rarely lets up for the next 90 minutes. The soundtrack blares and screeches, the electronic inspired mix matching and accentuating every inspired shot that fuels this adrenalin pumped action film like a shotgun blast.

Alex Garland, an established writer with an intense background with Danny Boyle, penned the script for this comic based adaptation, and in each bass filled speech and **** one liner, he perfectly captures the essence of one of the most brutal Judges, the titular Dredd. His character plays one of many
nicktgriffinSep 30, 2012
Simply the best sci-fi/action movie we´ve had in over a decade! The design of mega-city one is spectacular, detailed down to the smallest pieces. I am really hoping the generic advertising, and low box-office don´t kill theSimply the best sci-fi/action movie we´ve had in over a decade! The design of mega-city one is spectacular, detailed down to the smallest pieces. I am really hoping the generic advertising, and low box-office don´t kill the chances for a sequel. Expand
RickboyOct 4, 2012
I absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not aI absolutly loved this movie. Reminds me of the 80's action movies I used to love, robocop, terminator, predator, diehard. You cannot go wrong with seeing this movie. I took my girl friend to see it and she even liked it. Dredd is not a familiar comic book character in America, but honestly its one of my favorite comicbook to movie adaptions alongside the likes of Avengers and Batman. It has humour but its pretty dark, lots of violence and blood. Karl Urban nailed the character and the writing was very true to the comic book. It respected the characters and story. Dredd in the comics never ever took of his helmet and if he did, you dont see his face. This is actually very important to the Dredd character and the fact that Karl Urban never takes of his helmet in the movie gives the character more depth. Even the actress who played Judge Anderson was good for the role. The pacing was awsome, keeping my attention the whole time. I loved this movie and its sad it didnt do too well at the box office simply because its not based on a Marvel or DC supehero. I would love a sequel to be made. Im dying for the blu-Ray to come out. And this review is coming from someone who isnt familiar with the character. I never really followed the comics. But the movie in itself is good enough to make me a fan of the character. And its a movie Id proudly have alongside my avengers and Dark knight Blu-Ray collection. Expand
SeriosityDec 26, 2012
The use of slow motion is spectacular without being overdone. Every time the drug slomo is used you can bet on some outstanding visuals. A solid and fun, if empty, action film.
mario_chan15Oct 13, 2012
The movie was very faithful to the comics. The producers managed to make a movie terse, claustrophobic and balanced action level furthermore, intelligently, Anderson did assume to be the link between the film and the audience. The 3D isThe movie was very faithful to the comics. The producers managed to make a movie terse, claustrophobic and balanced action level furthermore, intelligently, Anderson did assume to be the link between the film and the audience. The 3D is perfect. It is mandatory for the fans.
Still on the story - it does not pretend to be a blockbuster, but that was precisely why it was good - just a day's work, a mission of Dredd ... but still, as in the comics, the story takes place 120 years from now, but there are many similarities to what we find today, chaotic cities, rising crime, corruption and even the issue of slums was addressed - with the difference that the Mega City One of slums grow vertically, now spread across our hills.
Urban as Dredd was perfect, and Ma-Ma had an incredible performance. We know that the universe is immense judges, I hope there is a sequel soon.
This is the movie, if you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the comic book, or a movie that runs only slightly super-human standards that the industry has been taking great.
glypheyeSep 2, 2013
Violent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spoutingViolent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spouting hippy...or a bearded, chin-scratching, professorial sociologist...or anyone else who carries sentiments along these lines...i.e. if you are a Nancy, then you will not like this film. It was not made for you, so don't bother seeing it...or reviewing it. For the rest of us who can appreciate this genre without succumbing to the desire to become violent ourselves....bon appetite! Expand