8.3

1. Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic film! Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby (must admit, never heard of her before) work really well together! Had the perfect mix of action and story/ character building. And the 3D was nicely done too. Didn't find it distracting at all and was used in just the right places.

Bit weird seeing Lena Headey as a gritty character though, as used to her being the pretty one in film/ TV.
  2. Sep 21, 2012
    No need to dread this Dredd. Karl Urban nails the title character, and staying true to the comic book, that helmet never comes off. The audience is introduced to Dredd's world through the eyes of Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, beautifully played by Olivia Thirlby. The movie starts off with a bang, and doesn't let up. Stylish and violent, this is one of the better comic adaptations this year.
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    One of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and thereOne of my personal favorite movies of the year, Dredd delivers in every way. The story is pushed by Dredd's commitment to law and the rookie, he's a gruff badass that shines throughout. Karl Urban nailed the character, you can always tell there's something deeper with him, but he pushes the story with bloody and relentless violence. The cast is superb, I love the film quality, and there isn't one slow moment the entire film. It's some of the best action I've ever seen and a very hard R rating, but if you don't mind that, jaw dropping and absolutely brutal violence, with a smart and simple plot that flows on its own, you'll love Dredd. Expand
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    The critics giving this a bad review either decided they weren't paid enough to give it a good one or have an allergy to extreme badassery. This is the most accurate portrayal of Judge Dredd we could have hoped for. And as for "no humour". There humour but it requires a strong stomach. Much like... you know... the comic did.
  5. Sep 22, 2012
    Metacritic, I have to say, is a terrible review site for movies and games. The only part of this site I trust is the overal score given by users.

Besides from constantly choosing critics who give truly crap games great scores, it is terribily flawed when it comes to movie reviews, Dredd, which was made in South Africa, is a an example of this. Just prior to release in the United States, metacritic had 6 (6!) reviews of Dredd while rottentomatoes.com had more than 50 with a 90% approval rating. WTF? Why so behind in the sample base and those reviews on tr STILL haven't been included after its US release!

Now, since it's release in the US, many American reviewers haven't the first clue what Dredd is about, the comic book history or that it is a satire on the political climate in both the UK and the US and the consumer-obsessed and often violent culture of the US, particularly in the 70s through 90s. This movie is an absolute hit in the United Kingdom and Canada. Yet, many American reviewers don't get the satire (see above) or they feel offended about Dredd's premise being set in a futuristic US - and its bleak outlook of the society and culture - and the movie's message about violence and US society. Either way, metacritic sucks balls and many American reviewers are thin-skinned, ignorant nationalists who buy into any soppy jingoistic American-made fluff pieces to get them through their pre-packaged, cotton-balled little worlds. My two cents.
  6. Jul 2, 2014
    A nice simple action movie. Very stylish,easy to follow story,good effects. It does however have incredibly over the top violence so not one for the faint of heart.
  7. Dec 31, 2012
    My expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during theMy expectations were low but this was a largely succesful attempt at capturing the spirit and tone of the original comic with Karl Urban proving to be the perfect Dredd, giving his performance the requisite amount of cynicism with the occasional glimpse of humanity. Not usually a fan of action movies but i was gripped by this...the stylish cinematography especially evident during the slo-mo scenes that that have a dream-like quality and really suck you in. Dark, unsentimental, with no attempt to pander to Hollywood tastes, i just hope there's a sequel despite the relatively disappointing box office showing. Expand
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    I had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all itsI had a lot of fun watching Dredd. I honestly didn't expect to like the movie as much as I did. The scenes were interesting, the comic book feel was present, the mood and the music fit well, and the action made my eyes open wide several times. The Female co-star also did a great job and succeeded in making me care what happened to her. Overall, the movie has a unique personality all its own that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. Expand
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Finally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I justFinally everyone's favourite scowling future lawman gets the movie he deserves. Karl Urban and his impressive chin give an awesome introduction to the character. The decision to make the movie an 18 was also awesome despite the reduction of market it resulted in, it allowed the brutality of Dredd and his world to be properly portrayed. And on top of all of this it looked amazing! I just wish more than about 4 people went to go and see it Expand
  10. May 5, 2013
    I was shocked to see how low rated this movie was. It is one of my favorite films of all time. Well directed, well written, well acted, with good chemistry between the leads, and a scary villain. This is an excellent film all around, a good war story, and it rings true throughout. Highly recommended.
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    Great film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and it worked really well.

I doubt a sequel will happen but it would be amazing to see more of MegaCity1.
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-rayMan, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    This movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D isThis movie has a stressful and catchy atmosphere, besides it's rather brutal and bloody. The main characters are pretty charismatic. Oh and I liked the visual effects in the "drug scenes" - that's a nice director's finding. The story is rather simple and straight, but still it keeps you thrilled till the end. There are some minor features from the original movie, but in total Dredd 3D is far from the original. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2012
    Suprisingly good movie. Good storyline and decent acting. Go see it if you ever read Judge Dredd or if you enjoy action sci-fy flicks. I especially liked the fact that it was believeable. The designer drug was very smartly done.
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    This was a great movie. Anyone who likes action movies should love this. It has some of the same feel as the original Die Hard did. This is basically everything that a Judge Dredd movie should be.

If you like action movies, you owe it to yourself to at least see this one once. I already consider it an instant classic and I definitely see it as something that will get a cult following as more people find out about it.
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    Dredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wickedDredd 3D is super awesome. Like The Raid, the film is crazily entertaining. Other critically acclaimed films are much appreciated but come on metascore, seriously! It's film is way beyond what you saw in the trailer. The critics NEED to get their eyeballs checked. This film was mind blowing, everything was good about it! From the car crashes, to the gory action and to the wicked performances, Dredd 3D is the movie of the year! 10/10 MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST WATCH...... Expand
  18. Aug 14, 2013
    With viciously graphic violence, a sometimes dark sense of humor, and great special effects, this is one comic book adaptation that pulls off its source material in exciting, adrenaline rushing fashion.
  19. Sep 7, 2013
    I loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movieI loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movie even better.

Keep in mind it is an "R" rated action movie, so it's more of a Guy Flick; where most women will think it´s too violent (and I only say this because I can see that women are not quite Dredd's target audience, that being said I do know quite a bit of girls who really liked this movie), and its definitely not a kid friendly movie.

The 3D part of the film is nothing exceptional for the most part but there are some scenes where it really pays off (the scenes with the slo-mo drug effect come to mind)

The plot is not over the top like it is with most Comic Book Movies, so don't be expecting a movie like any of the Marvel Movies or most CMBs; instead it has a very simplistic feel to it (don't get me wrong this is why it is so good), its a straight shoot em up film in it's core. You don't need to know anything about the Comic Book to enjoy the movie and if you do you'll only enjoy it more, I also liked how even when they introduce you to the characters it's not really a beginning story.

I saw the Stallone Judge Dredd movie back in the 90's and thought it was a classic Comic Book movie turned Hollywood. Two essential parts of the character of Dredd are his personality and his uniform and I always thought that by removing the helmet for most of the movie and changing the personality of Dredd they completely changed the Character, that together with softening the tone of the movie to an almost PG 13 kind of movie, and giving Dredd a comedic patsy sidekick in the form of Rob Schneider, were the reasons why Stallone's Judge Dredd was so awful. None of these things are present in Dredd (2012), this movie on the other hand is quite dark and crude which is very much the way Comic Book is.

I also thought Karl Urban's performance was right on, it fit the character perfectly and I appreciated the commitment he put to the role by sticking to what makes Dredd so great, and not demanding to have face time in the movie. Judge Anderson was also done amazingly, both in in the writing and the portrayal of the character played by Olivia Thirlby (I absolutely loved her!)
    The only downside of this movie was the villain, although the Ma-Ma character was ok and fit well into the Dredd Universe, I still would have liked a better villain, one that played opposite of Dredd, instead Ma-Ma is just a common thug turned drug lord which is nothing next to Dredd.

If you are not afraid of a bit of violence and blood on screen and are looking for a great movie to watch be sure to see Dredd.
  20. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    This film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not to mention Urban as Dredd was fantastic. 10/10 from a Dredd fan. 10/10 for not removing his helmet this time!
  21. Apr 26, 2014
    This movie is amazing, I thought the reviews were underrated for this movie. Everything about this is epic and exhilarating and you'll want to stay till the very end but I would not recommend this movie to kids because of the violence, bad words, drug references and rape references.
  22. Sep 22, 2012
    This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty.This movie is about pure entertainment, and it does not disappoint. The best way I could describe this movie is by saying it's a cross between a badass John Carpenter 80's film and the original RoboCop (Director's cut). The only problem I had with the film was the lack of back story on the characters. Each actor played their roles really well, and the settings was well designed and gritty. This is a must see for anyone who's an action junky. Expand
  23. Sep 23, 2012
    DREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that heDREDD was everything anyone could want in an action/comic book movie. This was one of the very best adaptions of a "non-mainstream" comic property I have ever seen. If you enjoyed the 2000AD comics series or have never read it, this movie really gives us a good look t who and what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban really nails his role as the title character and you completely forget that he is an actor playing a roll.
    This movie really shows you what someone can do with a limited budget and a decent plot. It does not try to pander to anyone, not the fans and certainly not the critics. Be warned, this movie is rated R for a reason. And and movie about the good Judge should be at least rated R.
  24. Sep 21, 2012
    Dredd, the final movie that be based on a comic book of this year, and what happen? The movie is awesome, have a great story with a really good development, the performances, the effects, all is incredible in this movie.
  25. Oct 5, 2012
    Absolute masterpiece. I really don't know how it got only 55% or something. By far best and most original superhero movie that came out this year and yes, I watched them all. And you should see it in cinema, because in this one 3D actually makes sense. Strong recommendation and pure example of a movie that critic just didn't get.
  26. drm
    Sep 24, 2012
    So, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'TheSo, I went to check this out yesterday, in glorious 2D. This movie is awesome. Seriously. Somebody finally got it right. This is right up there on the top 5 list of comic movies done correctly. We are spared the tired old cliché of an origin story. Thank freakin' God. I am so sick of that. The story is a simple one, that begins in medias res, and is basically Clint Eastwood's 'The Enforcer', set in a dystopian near-future. Karl Urban, who I think is one of the better actors of our time, nails the jaded, sometimes cruel, but ultimately justice serving, Dirty Harry-esque archetype. His character is refreshingly devoid of cornball one-liners, and never strays from his primary motivation. What was also refreshing, is that he keeps his helmet on through the whole movie. When I first heard that Dredd would be partnered up with a woman (Olivia Thirlby), I thought, "Oh no....here we go again with some cliché vamp, dressed up in a skin tight catsuit and heels." Thankfully they did not do that. She's in uniform, psychic, and deeply twisted. Damaged goods. This is a real smart move, and it adds a lot to the film. The violence, and gore, is Robocop level goodness, and much of it is treated in an almost artsy way. The soundtrack is as filthy as the scenery. Lots of distorted break beats, without any cornball attempts at dubstep. The other really nice touch about the soundtrack, are the drug sequences, which lovingly use the Nick Pittsinger styled 800% slow down filter. This works beautifully. The villain (Lena Headey) is superb. You really hate her. I haven't left the theater feeling so damn good, in a very long time. What's so sad, is that a lot of people are just gonna sleep on this film due to it's odd release time, the foul taste of the Stallone disaster still lingering in their mouths, and some really unfounded negative reviews. Do not sleep on this. Go see it. I will definitely buy this on DVD. Expand
  27. Sep 22, 2012
    As a life long fan and Dredd purest, I can happily report that this is a Film that lives up to the source material. There are a few short comings due to a relatively small budget. But the essence of the comics is on screen and the money has been put on screen in all the right places.
  28. Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd is brilliant Science Fiction. Perfectly constructed, with a lean and clean narrative, and yet, sensitivity to each character and scene that raises the bar significantly for the genre. This movie is deeply intense, with strong delivery in visuals, art direction along with fantastic performances from every single actor in the film. It's scary, uncompromising and a work of art.
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    Very straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's the "nonexistent" setting or backstory for this film that naysayers are clamoring for. Instead, you get pure action and solid acting in a very consistentlyVery straightforward, yet full of substance if you are ok with ultra violence,the story isn't about saving the world or becoming a god among men for once, just surviving each day in the gritty meat grinder of Dredd's world. That's the "nonexistent" setting or backstory for this film that naysayers are clamoring for. Instead, you get pure action and solid acting in a very consistently gritty and otherworldly place. This is a perfectly made, powerful action movie with a great setting and a good edge. Expand
  30. Oct 20, 2012
    This film is awesome in every way apart from the advertising budget, which couldn't stretch as far as buying off critics and led to fairly poor box office figures.

Buy it when it comes out on DVD/BluRay!! I want another Dredd film just like this one!

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.