6.2

1. Jul 21, 2014
    Small film about a brewery and it's workers, specifically two couples. The film is Marketed as something it isn't, mainstream.

The movie works but is low budget.

VERDICT: CHEAP AND BOOZY/50 OUT OF 100
  2. Jun 9, 2014
    Honestly, I just watched this movie because of Anna Kendrick. I thought this will make me feel giddy. BUT I realize, i wasted my money and my PRECIOUS time just to watched this BORING movie.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Watch this on Sunday when you are extremely tired, so that when you fall asleep you have not wasted any of your time in this incredibly boring, pointless movie.
  4. Jan 15, 2014
    Drinking Buddies suffers from a plot too simplistic with characters that are beautifully portrayed but sadly, don't have much to do in this occasionally boring film that attempts to delve deeper into human emotions but only sometimes does it accomplish its goal.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    The actors are all outstanding, and the film ends well. Unfortunately, much of what comes before is quite boring, and the improvisation actually begins to feel a bit tedious at times.
  6. Jan 5, 2014
    I think this movie has the most natural acting I've seen in a long time. It feels like everyday people talking to each other. I don't know if there was a script for this film, because it definitely felt like the cast were improvising. It doesn't matter, though, because their performances were interesting anyway. Especially Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson.

The directing and editing were
    very good, giving room for the cast to breathe life into their characters. The plot, though, was way too simple. The ending was also a little disappointing, though realistic.

In the end, i really liked. A great movie about relationships.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    Plot: Luke and Kate are co-workers at a Chicago brewery, where they spend their days drinking and flirting. They’re perfect for each other, except that they’re both in relationships. Luke is in the midst of marriage talks with his girlfriend of six years, Kate is playing it cool with her music producer boyfriend Chris. But you know what makes the line between “friends” and “more than friends” really blurry? Beer. Drinking Buddies (2013)
    Now this right here, is what I call a true indie. The whole thing is stunning and marvelously done. Now this isn’t your typical romantic comedy film, this is very realistic and focused on a lot more than just two characters and love but more focused on the friendships and work. The characters are really brought to life by the fact that the whole film is improvised. No script, just a synopsis of what the movie was about and let me tell you these wonderful actors did a phenomenal job! I really felt like I was right there with them, with the laughs, camera setting’s, the emotional stuff, all of it. I almost cried at how well this film was made and produced. I highly recommend watching it, it’s realistic, cute, funny, beautiful and just a brilliant film. You also get to see the actors (Anna Kendrick, Ron LIvingston, Olivia Wilde, & Jake Johnson) in a different view, because everything that they’re saying is coming from them, not a script, them. And it’s just mind-blowing and I can’t wait too see more from Joe Swanberg. Watch this very brilliant, stunning, beautiful film. You will laugh, cry, and just fall in love with these characters and actors. Also in this film they really are getting drunk, that just shows how talented they truly are. In my opinion this is the best of 2013.

Rate:10/10

Rated: R (profanity throughout film)

Film Directed and Written by: Joe Swanberg
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    This movie has no story. Its very long and very boring. They drink beer and that about it. Don't waist your time watching this horrible movie. It look like if a college student made a movie about his friend drinking beer.
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst movie I've seen during 2013. The best part is when the male lead broke his hand.

I hanged myself after I watched this movie. If you wanna kill your husband or boyfriend, tell him to watch this movie.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    I chose to watch this movie as other reviews described it as "very funny", and "a refreshing change of pace" However, I found it outright terrible. It started out well enough, and for the first half, it seemed like at any point, the plot might pick up, and go somewhere. However, that was not the case. It slowly ambled along, and by the end, you didn't feel like anything had happened. Also, it is important to note that there was nothing I found remotely funny, except perhaps the fact that a movie this bad was even bade in the first place.

I must admit, it was a change of pace, though not what you'd expect. Most movies these days are actually interesting, using suspense, action, or humor, along with other elements to keep the audience interested. However, this one had none. Really, you could skip great portions of the movie, and not miss anything. The only reason I kept watching it was because I was expecting the plot to get more interesting, but it really never did.

Please, don't waste 1 1/2 hours of your life on this wretched movie. It isn't funny, there are no cool action scenes, there is no suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat, and there isn't even a happy ending. It leaves you with a strange, empty feeling. The characters weren't even that likeable!
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    THIS WAS THE BIGEST WASTE OF MY TIME IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE. AND I DO PROCRASTINATE LIKE A LOT!!! I WANTED TO SERIOUSLY SLIT MY WRISTS. I CONTINUED WATCHING ONLY YO SEE IF MAYBE THIS MOVIE COULD POSSIBLY NOT TURN OUT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WAS.
    I WANTED TO DIE
    I WANTED TO FALL INTO A DEEP COMA AND NEVER WAKE UP
    THE WORST TORTURE THEY SHOULD PRACTICE IN GUANTANAMO IS FORCE PEOPLE TO
    WATCH THIS MOVIE 24/7.
    LOVE THE ACTORS.
    HATE HATE HATE THE MOVIE
    I HAVE NEEEEVER HATED SOMETHING SO MUCH AND I HAVE BEEN RECENTLY CHEATED ON SO YOU KNOW THERES A LOT OF HATE FOR OTHER STUFF GOING AROUND HERE SO YOU KNOW.. IT IS QUITE SOMETHING FOR ME TO SAY THIS IS THE THING IN MY LIFE I HAVE HATED THE MOST EVER AND EVER AND EVER.
    I WILL HAVE NIGHTMARES OVER THIS MOVIE
    ALWAYS AND FOREVER
    I HATED IT
    IT WAS SO
    SI
    SOOOOOO BORIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGGGG
    BLLAAAAAAA
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    If your looking to absolutely waste and destroy 90 minutes of ur life please I urge u to watch "drinking buddies."

This 2013 movie has absolutely no point to it. It was not a comedy at all and at no point did it peak my interest for even a minute. And I now feel like a worthless loser and lesser IQ than before I watched it.

It made me feel like a 4 year old watching Winnie the Pooh.
    It was terrible acting, no script at all, the plot I assume was to make u feel a raw day to day life of co workers and friends/ not sure if this is sexual tension or I really like that person/ many minutes at a time of terrible silence.

I do feel bad for Olivia Wilde and jake Johnson because they did give it a shot and its a shame it was THIS BAD!

The director spoiler alert: Who happens to be the writer!) should speak to his financial advisor and if he doesn't owe the mob money he should retire immediately.

I sincerely apologize to my wife for putting her that painful hour and a half of our otherwise beautiful life.
  13. Sep 20, 2013
    Drinking Buddies is one of the biggest sorprises of this year, the story could be familiar, but the development is really great (ok, sometimes falls into the known), the script is really smart, and the performances are wow, incredible, Anna Kendrick, Olivia Wilde, Jake M. Johnson and Ron Livingston do a good job. Great movie.
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    I had an inkling on how Drinking Buddies was going to end going in but being right didn't mean I didn't enjoy the overall experience because I did. In fact its a smart and well directed film with a fresh improvised style that makes the film performances shine so much that it ultimately didn't matter how the film ended, the ride was enough. The film follows best friends Kate (Olivia Wilde) and Luke (Jake Johnson) who work at a Chicago brewery together. When Kate and Luke introduce each other to their respective partners things start to change for these two friends even though they don't realize it is happening. Director Joe Swanberg, uses his unique filming and story telling techniques to bring new life to a story as old as time. While an unrequited love story is my Kryptonite, Drinking Buddies is the anti rom-com, rom-com as it isn't concerned with the trivial questions of who ends up with who, it's a tale of life not just for Kate and Luke but everyone. It's a story of personality, how these people interact with each other, warts and all. Joined by Anna Kendrick as Luke's partner Jill and Ron Livingston as Kate's partner Chris. Kendrick turns in yet another stand out performance as a supposedly chilled out yet secretly neurotic girl seeking more from Luke, a man with a serious commitment phobia. Livingston is an unexpected touch but an excellent choice none the less. The real highlight though is Olivia Wilde who proves her worth after a slew of bad film appearances (Cowboys and Aliens, Ultimately a film like this doesn't come along very often despite Swanberg's impressive film turnout over the last 9 years and we should embrace it for what it is, a heartfelt look at the frustrating nature of man and their ability to miss the simplest of things. While a little long it all comes down to your personal taste as the film is all about the little things, the small inconsequential moments that make up a persons life. If that's not your thing thats fine but if it is your going to love it. Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2013
    Solid acting from the four leads, but it sagged in a few places. It was an interesting story, the writing was solid, but I wasn't thoroughly engaged throughout. But it was still enjoyable and unique, at least.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    This is a solid film based on the strong chemistry between the four leads. Unfortunately I felt that there was just something missing when it came to getting a good feel for the characters. B-
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    'Drinking Buddies' is a lethargic look at what happens when platonic friends tip-toe the line between friendly and flirty; that they drink is merely a device in which we're given to understand their commonplace. While the plot is essentially aimless for the first three-quarters of the movie, the actors hold your attention by slowly and gently stroking the tension, which comes to a head when Johnson's Luke helps Wilde's Gate move between Chicago apartments. Ultimately, the stars of 'Drinking Buddies' give us some fun-enough characters to hang out with for 90 minutes. The true feelings and prerogatives of the main characters are reserved but for a few meaningful moments, of which many are apparent to the audience only. Despite (and perhaps because of) the creative control the actors were given in terms of improvised dialogue, there's a lot of people not saying what they're thinking in this movie. It's that frustrating passive aggression that makes this film feel as authentic and at times as too-close-to-home hitting of any of Swanberg's films to date. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Kelly
    Nov 3, 2013
    Best of all, though, is the uneasy ring of truth, which will definitely still be with you the morning after.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 3, 2013
    It's an intriguing and distinctive story, soberly told.
  3. Reviewed by: Catherine Bray
    Oct 29, 2013
    It can be very funny, but there’s a bittersweet streak underpinning even the lightest moments.