Duplex

6.5

1. Aug 10, 2013
    This was pretty dang funny. I laughed a lot. It is one of the funnier Ben Stiller movies that there are. This definitely was very dark, about the level of darkness of Horrible Bosses. This was pretty short, and gave a few good laughs, so I recommend it.
  2. AMovieCritic
    Oct 2, 2003
    F... the critics. This movie was hilarious! Great performances, funny plot, etc. It's a really funny movie. Critics only seem to give good scores to big budget, huge productions. Not everything has to be. This is a simple, yet hilarious comedy. I definitely recommend it.
  3. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Neither funny nor original, Duplex fails miserably. It's so painfully predictable you end up hating it. Fans of Stiller's work might enjoy it, but his talent goes somewhat wasted.
  4. BarbaraD.
    Jun 14, 2004
    I liked this movie because it didn't have any violence, obscenities, raw sex, etc. It was funny, altho my husband thought it was mindless. Yes, it was, but for an evening of just entertainment without looking for socially redeeming values, etc I recommend it. You don't walk away from this with any lingering feelings. It's strictly entertainment.
  5. GregT.
    Mar 16, 2004
    I liked this movie, but the person watching it with me found it plodding. I thought it was quite funny in a subdued dark way. Everybody is getting taken advantage of, except Harvey Feinstein.
  6. MitchM.
    Sep 24, 2003
    I'm not a huge Ben Stiller fan, but this film is much funnier than I thought it would be. This kind of black comedy can be botched rather easily, in my opinion, but DeVito handles it deftly. I have to say that Chick is the man.
  7. ShawnG.
    Sep 26, 2003
    This is one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite some time, and I recommend it highly. I cannot figure out WHAT movie the NY Post or Portland Oregonian, reviewers in particular, were watching!
  8. ChadS.
    Oct 1, 2003
    Once the old lady realizes an attempt on her life was made, "Duplex" should've kicked into another gear, but the social intercourse between both parties doesn't acknowledge the previous night's event. The movie loses credibility here. Unlike "The War of the Roses", "Duplex" isn't black enough to be funny, or better yet, a black so pitch, the laugh gets stuck in your Once the old lady realizes an attempt on her life was made, "Duplex" should've kicked into another gear, but the social intercourse between both parties doesn't acknowledge the previous night's event. The movie loses credibility here. Unlike "The War of the Roses", "Duplex" isn't black enough to be funny, or better yet, a black so pitch, the laugh gets stuck in your throat. "The War of the Roses" was like that. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore, by edict of the studio, probably, are too sympathetic. Since the premise of the film is frittered away by the couple's change of heart, "Duplex" resorts to a surprise ending to obscure its meekness. Expand
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    This was pretty funny! I think it`s one of Ben Stiller`s best. You can really feel the main characters frustration moving into their new Duplex in Brooklyn. The Neighbor becomes a serious problem, and it`s fun watching them try to deal with it.

1. Runs into construction problems, maybe from too many foremen. DeVito favors pushy slapstick; Stiller prefers hotshot sarcasm. Barrymore's comic talents are wasted; she's there for decoration.
  2. More demanding viewers hoping for the cruel wit of DeVito's "Throw Momma From the Train" or "The War of the Roses" will likely be disappointed by its lack of comic bite.
    Looks and sounds like a black comedy, but by the time DeVito reaches the cutesy, nonsensical ending, he's lost the will to follow through on it.