5.1

1. DaleM
    Nov 8, 2009
    This movie lacks anything to hold a viewer's interest. The acting is flat, the view of the business world is contrived and wholly imaginary, the characters lack either depth or charm, and the story is convoluted and artificial. I am surprised at how many professional reviewers found so many positive things about this movie. Makes me think that professional reviewers are on the take at times.
  2. jayc
    Mar 20, 2009
    The worst movie I've seen on a loongg time! Even talents like Clive Owen and Julia Roberts could not keep me interested in this dreadful film.
  3. JayP
    Apr 4, 2009
    1. Don't waste your time and money. I am officially breaking up with Julia Roberts after this movie. I can't believe she signed on to do such a bad flick 2. If you have to see it, wait for it to hit the discount isle at the vidoe store. Then you can pause/rewind to say WTF just happened? 3. If you are a prisioner or being punished by your wife and HAVE to go see it at the 1. Don't waste your time and money. I am officially breaking up with Julia Roberts after this movie. I can't believe she signed on to do such a bad flick 2. If you have to see it, wait for it to hit the discount isle at the vidoe store. Then you can pause/rewind to say WTF just happened? 3. If you are a prisioner or being punished by your wife and HAVE to go see it at the theater, take a notepad and pencil. It is very, very, very confusing and twisted. It ends worse than bad sex. If there was a "satisfaction or your money back", I would be due some cash back. 4. Never, Never let anyone compare it to Mr and Mrs Smith. That is like comparing filet mignon to dry dog-food If I am ot making myself clear: This may be the worst movie that I have ever paid to see. I sat through the whole damn thing knowing it would get better, or at least get to see Julia Roberts in sexy outfits. My bad. I should have ask the the Theater Manager if he had something more fun that I could do, like sweep the parking lot. Expand
  4. SamS
    Sep 21, 2009
    Extremely confusing, and annoying. I love movies that make you think, but this was absurd. The movie fails to come together, and you're left feeling empty at the end. A shame since it could have been so much better if the makers of this film bothered watching it before releasing it.
  5. BryanK
    Mar 21, 2009
    Other than Clive Owen and Julia Roberts having some connection this film is waste of time. It's confusing, theirs no character development, and--- it just sucks. Save your F---ing money in hard times like these!!!!!!
  6. Fantasy
    Mar 21, 2009
    This is a long drawn out boring movie without any chemistry. The ending is so awful that you feel as if you wasted two hours of your time. Avoid.
  7. BobH
    Mar 22, 2009
    You go into the theater wanting to love it. You come out thinking does anyone know how to write a good script. Just awful. The Pretty Woman and Clive just don't mesh. He is better than she is. Hated it.
  8. Amber
    Mar 22, 2009
    Beautiful scenery but not much more. The professionals writers who raved about this movie have to be bought and paid for. Julia is lovable but this movie is inept. Check your brains in at the door if you decide to see it. You have been warned.
  9. Aaron
    Mar 23, 2009
    Love Julia Roberts but this movie is boring, goes nowhere and has a dumb ending.
  10. Kate
    Mar 24, 2009
    This story line was drawn out and boring. At points is was confusing, with the whole jumping bad and forward, even though the movie was predictable. Not enough suspense to keep it interesting.
  11. James
    Mar 24, 2009
    A movie about nothing. At the end you feel cheated of both your time and money. Nothing works. Anyone in the mood for pizza with some pineapple on it? Yuk!
  12. Cheryl
    Mar 25, 2009
    I have never been more disappointed in a movie than this. Takes forever to get going and when it does it repeats the same scene at nauseum only to leave you empty with that horrendous ending. Suspense? It was as if Paul G was trying to be serious while the other actors laughed at him because of this ridiculous script. Much ado about nothing.
  13. TerenceS
    Mar 25, 2009
    I don't know how critics can love it. The plot itself is over done, in the way of heist/crime kinds of movies. The way Gilroy uses cut scenes, it completely detracts from the movies' pace. Honestly, you get an action sequence that's good and without a skip of a beat, a long drawn out cut scene enters in the fray, that you just don't care about. The characters are bland I don't know how critics can love it. The plot itself is over done, in the way of heist/crime kinds of movies. The way Gilroy uses cut scenes, it completely detracts from the movies' pace. Honestly, you get an action sequence that's good and without a skip of a beat, a long drawn out cut scene enters in the fray, that you just don't care about. The characters are bland and colorless, with the exception of Wilkinson and Giamatti. From the opening title sequence, it seems that these are the actual characters the film should be about. Overall, a severe disappointment. Expand
  14. MarkB.
    Mar 27, 2009
    The movie industry is in collusion. There is no way a professional movie reviewer could give this movie a rating above 50. A handful got it right. It is an outright lie for those that rated it about 80. Look at the list. Those reviewers are on the take. I like movies, good movies, it would be nice to trust professional reviews to give honest recommendations.
  15. DavidH
    Apr 12, 2009
    This is the first time on Metacritic I've given a movie a 1. You'd think with a cast like this you'd have a great chance at making an excellent movie. Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites along with Wilkinson, and Julia Roberts and Clive Owen have been very good in the past as well. This was sort of like an absolutely horrible version of Ocean's 11 or Mr. and Mrs. This is the first time on Metacritic I've given a movie a 1. You'd think with a cast like this you'd have a great chance at making an excellent movie. Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites along with Wilkinson, and Julia Roberts and Clive Owen have been very good in the past as well. This was sort of like an absolutely horrible version of Ocean's 11 or Mr. and Mrs. Smith. This was about 2 hours, but felt like three. My wife and I periodically would look at each other like "how much longer is this going to drag on?". We almost walked out. It was incredibly slow and boring with a depressing ending. Collapse
  16. BryanK.
    Apr 13, 2009
    A miserable waste of time. This film is the WORST film I have had the misfortune of viewing. Clive Owen and Julia Roberts have passable,but dull performances. Everyone else is a one-dimensional cliche with no reason for caring. I only watched this film through because I don't walk out from a film. However after Duplicity I realize I and my friend should have left when he said we A miserable waste of time. This film is the WORST film I have had the misfortune of viewing. Clive Owen and Julia Roberts have passable,but dull performances. Everyone else is a one-dimensional cliche with no reason for caring. I only watched this film through because I don't walk out from a film. However after Duplicity I realize I and my friend should have left when he said we should. My friend and I ripped up our tickets and buried them in my backyard, yet that film haunts me for I feel film critics who praise this film as "Superior Entertainment" are going mad and have yet realized it. If this film is given any awards at this year's Oscars I will freak out. AVOID THIS FILM. Expand
  17. Andrewt.
    Apr 24, 2009
    A shaggy dog story. A disappointment - tried to be too clever, but was not. Plot limited to who was fooling who, which wore you out after the first 20 minutes, if that.
  18. TonyH.
    May 8, 2009
    If ever I've seen a movie that was so completely different than what it seemed in the previews - this was it. I never sensed any chemistry between Clive and Julia although I kept hoping it would show up.
  19. MaciejC.
    May 22, 2009
    Simply a bad movie. Not that kind when you want to throw bricks at the screen because the filmmakers' stupidity is so annoying. It rather leaves you in your chair with the feeling that you've been screwed and lost your time and money, like the two film protagonists at the end. Some critics are enthralled by the performance of Clive Owen and Julia Roberts as a couple of ex-spies Simply a bad movie. Not that kind when you want to throw bricks at the screen because the filmmakers' stupidity is so annoying. It rather leaves you in your chair with the feeling that you've been screwed and lost your time and money, like the two film protagonists at the end. Some critics are enthralled by the performance of Clive Owen and Julia Roberts as a couple of ex-spies who need to trust each other to knock over two major companies. Well, 'Duplicity' might act as a kind of mirror in which you see the reflection of your own relationships - this is the best aspect of this movie. For me, the acting is hardly standard, and Clive Owen repeats his speech (about how good he is in remembering people, especially those he slept with) at least one time too much. If there was any originality in the inital scipt, it must have been thrown to the ground by Romantic Comedy Security Forces and curbstomped with a high-heeled shoe. Enough about the chick flick part; this movie is also about the grand scheme the couple are plotting, right? Yes, and it's a disaster: if you watch this absent-mindledly, you just won't get anything; if you try to follow the plot... well, your mistake. Put simply, the final plot twists (mostly) don't make sense: Julia Roberts character rats Owen to his company, and his coworkers find a super-secret formula in his bag, discovering he'd been trying to outsmart them. Some time later, Owen arrives in Zurich with the formula to meet Roberts. How did he get away with it? Was his partner really trying to rat on him? If the answer's no, why the f-word did she put him in serious trouble? Apparently, you aren't supposed to know that. Then, the ultimate twist - everything was staged by one of the companies. Still, you don't really know what happened. The biggest problem with this movie is not that it tries to be a romantic comedy and Ocean's 14, failing on both. The problem is, after watching the movie, you just can't tell more about it than you've read on the movie flyer. 'Duplicity' is just empty; not unintellectual, but lacking in content - at least, content worth remembering. Don't expect any brainless fun, either. Expect a boring movie. Expand
  20. anonymous
    Jul 19, 2009
    The movie was very slow and boring, after watching the movie you feel like you haven't watched anything cuz nothing really happened.
  21. GabrielC.
    Aug 30, 2009
    Movie was very confusing. I had trouble figuring out who fooled who and by the end the movie just tells you '' don't bother trying to find out what appened, they failed.'' Very bad. Not even a rental
  22. mikeh
    Aug 30, 2009
    Just an awful, awful movie.
  23. TammyC
    Aug 30, 2009
    I couldn't get into this movie at all, very dull story .
  24. CarolL
    Sep 7, 2009
    Very confusing. Sorry I stuck it out to the end of the movie to get the surprise new twist.
  25. HaroldT
    Sep 9, 2009
    This is an awful movie. Clever? Yes. Some sharp dialogue? Sure. A handsome leading man? You betcha. But otherwise a mess. Boring, opaque, fundamentally ridiculous, and utterly devoid of anything interesting or enaging. A big letdown. I kept waiting for the MOVIE to begin and it never did.
  26. ThaliaT
    Oct 2, 2009
    I thought that with such good actors and promising plot, there's no chance that movie could be bad.. but boy was I wrong! They tried to be fun, clever and witty, but the movie came out as messy, predictable, sketchy DISASTER! ps- I CAN NOT believe that some critics rated it above 30!! 100 from NY Post and The NY Times??!!?!!???? Something is rotten In Denmark.
  27. SteveB
    Oct 11, 2009
    REALLY CONFUSING!!
  28. JonathanZ
    Oct 19, 2009
    I'm surprised how many legitimate reviewers enjoyed this film. Roberts and Owen have zero chemistry together, and this is absolutely the wrong film for either of them. I loved the premise but found the constant flashbacks derivative and a little too "precious." It's a great story made wrong.
  29. AtticusM.
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sucked. Overlong, unnecessarily confusing and some pretty poor performances from the actors. Sucked.
  30. TomO
    Nov 16, 2009
    Terrible.
    Jan 15, 2010
    nearly killed myself after watching the first half. jumping off the brooklyn bridge sounds more entertaining.

1. The movie is fun, with plenty of intrigue and suspense that will have audiences clutching at their arm rests.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Smart, droll and dazzling to look at and listen to, writer-director Tony Gilroy's effervescent, intricately plotted puzzler proves in every way superior to his 2007 success "Michael Clayton."
  3. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    The chemical combustion just isn't there between Julia and Clive, and you can't help wondering if Gilroy wrote this with George Clooney in mind. Still, a glamorous, diverting escapade that over-30s in particular can enjoy.