Relativity Media | Release Date: July 2, 2014
4.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 70 Ratings
Watch Now
NikoZguri1997Jul 18, 2014
what's there to say about 'Earth to Echo'? well it's a little found footage family movie about a bunch of kids who find a little alien and named it Echo. so now, these kids are gonna try to get it back home. yeah, it's a pretty obviouswhat's there to say about 'Earth to Echo'? well it's a little found footage family movie about a bunch of kids who find a little alien and named it Echo. so now, these kids are gonna try to get it back home. yeah, it's a pretty obvious rip-off of 'E.T'. the kids in the movie, they were okay but a few of them were actually good. and the kids are supposed to form this bond with the alien, but in the end i was like "Are you really bonding with it?" cause i wasn't bonding with it either. i mean sure, the alien's really cute and stuff, but that doesn't really mean much. the biggest problem with 'Earth to Echo' is that it's trying to be a throwback to the 80's movies like 'The Goonies' and of course 'E.T', these kid movies we grew up on. what they do wrong is what they did wrong in this movie. the fact is: the kids in the movie don't act like kids. these are kids in junior high with no parents around whatsoever. but they never act like actual kids in this movie and that felt really weird and stupid. have the kids act human, have them use swear words like in 'E.T', ya know like normal funny human stuff. directors these days don't really do it, cause they don't wanna push it like "No, we gotta keep it PG". this is a PG-rated movie and you can tell, cause the kids just talk but none of them actually gets to curse. one of them says "balls" once but that's it. it felt like the movie was written by people who don't have kids. so is 'Earth to Echo' that movie of this generation? no, not really. it's just your average found footage movie with the same kinda built up that's actually pretty boring, and it's nothing new. just the same found footage stuff all over again. maybe young kids - like 5 or 6 year olds - might like and enjoy the movie. but this movie was made for the junior or middle school kids, and even they might get bored outta their minds. so in the end, it had a few decent moments with cool special effects, and the alien was adorable, but that's not saying much. 'Earth to Echo' was more of a snooze fest rather than a entertaining movie. Expand
Starkiller1976Jul 2, 2014
This is a copy of Super 8 (2011) and Chronicle (2012) and what is Optimus Prime and the owl of Clash of the Titans (1981) doing in this movie ? ,This looks like a remake movie
BUELLYJul 7, 2014
Beware if you get motion sickness easy. My wife, and I, and one of our daughters almost had to leave the film because of how jerky the filming was.I understand the way the movie was made, but it was horrible in that respect, very nauseating.Beware if you get motion sickness easy. My wife, and I, and one of our daughters almost had to leave the film because of how jerky the filming was.I understand the way the movie was made, but it was horrible in that respect, very nauseating. The movie in itself was actually pretty decent. Expand
Trev29Dec 14, 2014
This movie relies too much on similar works, and it is poorly executed and not entertaining in its own right. It is merely a forgettable movie with occasional good moments.
nicholasbertOct 13, 2014
Obviously a retake on Super 8, only a little worse, and borrowing from every PG sci-fi there ever was, Earth to Echo is not as entertaining as it promises to be, and is also not as likeable as, say, E.T. was.

The footage-like quality of

The footage-like quality of the shots is either meant to be original or believable - it's neither: it has been done before, and this is a sci-fi film, so it can never be believable. What the producers (or the director, I don't know) were aiming at here was to capture the "feel" of a real story while adding spaceships and evil corporations and kids who magically get away with doing things they can't do. Serious plot holes also don't help at all, as well as continuity mistakes.

That said, it's a film for kids, and while I think not even them will find this interesting, it has to be considered as such.
BrianMcCriticOct 22, 2014
While trying for E.T./Goonies you get a watered down film that never allows you to get attached to the children or its alien companion. The film just seemed rushed and never took the time to establish anyone or thing. Overall it's just kindWhile trying for E.T./Goonies you get a watered down film that never allows you to get attached to the children or its alien companion. The film just seemed rushed and never took the time to establish anyone or thing. Overall it's just kind of average. C+ Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 19, 2015
Is it a great movie -- well that may depend on your age and how well you can handle all the cliché's and similarities to other sci-fi flicks. But other than that is it still an okay movie, and that's mostly due to the great characters, solidIs it a great movie -- well that may depend on your age and how well you can handle all the cliché's and similarities to other sci-fi flicks. But other than that is it still an okay movie, and that's mostly due to the great characters, solid plot and somewhat okay actors. Yes the plot isn't original by a long shot, but it's still works in its own way. The story is somewhat unique and there are some entertaining (but also boring) moments. But it doesn't feel that exciting as what it could have been. It started a bit slow but it ascalated greatly in the second and the third act. The aspect that really stands out in Earth To Echo is the cinematography, it's unique but somewhat shaky and annoying. But is it worth watching -- I would say that's it's a 50 % chance that you would find it okay, so it's up to you. But I wouldn't take those odds.

6.5/10
sammurphy66Oct 17, 2014
Whilst Earth to Echo is undeniably charming, its generic ET-like narrative riddled with numerous cliches somewhat diminished its more admirable qualities.
thefishslapNov 5, 2014
echo is a uniq experince. I really liked this film but, sometimes emma made me made. she was really mean to snunge and overall compeltly ruin the whole movie by me!
MonkiReviewsSep 9, 2017
I thought it was enjoyable, but it isn't super great. The acting was good enough, and so were the special effects. I enjoyed the story though, but it isn't amazing. For me it's somewhere in middle, and it might be worth a watch.