Paramount Pictures | Release Date: April 23, 1999
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 200 Ratings
WATCH NOW
KSApr 26, 2007
This movie was great, and really gives a good view of the bigger picture-American elections and middle class society.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
EnanAug 23, 2010
Rigged: Routines and Dreams in Alexander Payneâ
TylerDurden900Jul 13, 2014
Election is a spot on movie about elections, characters and black comedy mixed in for fun. The actors
give great lines and they feel like their the character's, they don't seem like they are acting when you watch the movie. Election is one of the best comedy-dramas of the last twenty years !
smartmartSep 17, 2015
This has got to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It is a very darkly comedic satire that looks into some pretty tough subjects for a high school comedy. But, "Election" isn't really just a high school comedy, it is a look at aThis has got to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It is a very darkly comedic satire that looks into some pretty tough subjects for a high school comedy. But, "Election" isn't really just a high school comedy, it is a look at a set of character who are, mostly, pretty pathetic people, who you both despise yet feel very bad for at the same time.
Alexander Payne has gone on to make a lot more well received comedy dramas including "Sideways", The Descendants", and "Nebraska". I still have yet to see these films, but after watching "election", I'm sure they'll be spectacular!
GaborA.Feb 28, 2006
One of the best comedies...movies of all time. Hits the nail right on the head over and over.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Dec 5, 2007
Great movie. Hilarious. I thought Kevin Kline was surprising good.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
GreatbealloFeb 19, 2012
This movie is so great and unique! I am not particularly fond of Matthew Broderick, and he is really detestable in this movie, but he plays a douche bag to perfection. Reese Witherspoon is also on point. Seriously, this movie is an unusualThis movie is so great and unique! I am not particularly fond of Matthew Broderick, and he is really detestable in this movie, but he plays a douche bag to perfection. Reese Witherspoon is also on point. Seriously, this movie is an unusual treat. I can't really compare it to anything else I have seen. Expand
Compi24Feb 7, 2014
Acerbic humor and subtly brilliant performances highlight Alexander Payne's "Election," a brilliantly dark film with mirthfully unlikable characters and some playfully indelible imagery.
MovieGuysOct 4, 2014
Election is a witty, satirical, hilarious dark comedy. Its high school setting is surprisingly realistic, and every character has a real purpose in the story. Broderick and Witherspoon are great as the leads, and it is a treat to watch theirElection is a witty, satirical, hilarious dark comedy. Its high school setting is surprisingly realistic, and every character has a real purpose in the story. Broderick and Witherspoon are great as the leads, and it is a treat to watch their awkward, teacher-student conversations. There is character development, twists, turns, and enough laughs to make Election worth a watch. Expand
heeldavidAug 27, 2014
Alexander Payne showed us his talent with this 90's classic, a great high school film full of great lines and great black comedy. Nice work by Witherspoon, Broderick and Kline.
RobertBroganSep 30, 2015
Election is the type of satire where one is more likely to wince than laugh. It is a bit dark and edgy and is reminiscent of American Beauty. The performances are good, though a bit overwrought. Election, while not thoroughly enjoyable, is aElection is the type of satire where one is more likely to wince than laugh. It is a bit dark and edgy and is reminiscent of American Beauty. The performances are good, though a bit overwrought. Election, while not thoroughly enjoyable, is a still a remarkable film. Expand
drlowdonJun 7, 2013
Having been involved in a scandal resulting in a high school teacher losing his job and family Tracy Flick (Witherspoon) is determined to win the election for student-body president. When her teacher, Mr. McAllister (Broderick), realises heHaving been involved in a scandal resulting in a high school teacher losing his job and family Tracy Flick (Witherspoon) is determined to win the election for student-body president. When her teacher, Mr. McAllister (Broderick), realises he may be forced to spend the next year working closely with a girl he can't stand he convinces the popular, but not particularly bright, Paul Meltzer to run against her.

A satirical comedy of the American electoral process Election has a dark sense of humor throughout with much of the comedy arising from the gradual unraveling of Mr. McAllister's life and it is largely thanks its more subtle nature that it managers to differentiate itself from the endless string of high-school movies of the late nineties. Resisting the temptation to utilise the usual cliched high school characters Election fully explores the motivations of each of the, very well cast, main characters with Reece Witherspoon in particular playing her role to perfection. As relevant now as it was when released Election would make an excellent addition to any movie collection.
SpangleJan 25, 2015
Election is certainly a very well made and very entertaining little flick (heh) with some great acting from Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon, but I don't know, I just didn't love it. Alexander Payne's direction is great as always andElection is certainly a very well made and very entertaining little flick (heh) with some great acting from Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon, but I don't know, I just didn't love it. Alexander Payne's direction is great as always and this one is a very interesting film on the ethics of how far one will go to have success and, above all, is an interesting snapshot of life at this particular high school and in the lives of these kids. The writing is also strong, but ultimately, I just felt like this one meandered a bit. All of it is an exercise in ethics and morals, sure, but I wish it stayed more focused on the election rather than focusing on the personal life of Broderick's character or past events at the school. Adding a bit more depth to the race for Student Government President and disregarding other events a bit would ultimately result in a better film in my mind (though obviously some of the events I wish to shrink are necessary, but I don't think they needed to play as much of a role in the overall story as they did). As a whole, I can certainly see why Election is so widely praised, but I just didn't love it, I guess. Expand