Elizabeth: The Golden Age

6.5

1. JordanM.
    Oct 23, 2007
    A big "Ooops" goes here. Cate Blanchett - she's good, we knew that, so what else is new??? Nothing "golden" about the movie. Wish we did something better with our time.
  2. AndreaM.
    May 13, 2008
    Ludicrous screenplay. Only Cate Blanchett shouldn't be embarrassed to have been involved.
  3. TonyB.
    Nov 10, 2008
    A major disappointment, the film is spectacular to look at but difficult to connect to. As she always is, Cate Blanchett is excellent and so are those around her. The background music was frequently intrusive.
  4. AlexD
    Feb 7, 2008
    The 1998 Elizabeth is probably one of the first movies I acquired on DVD back in the days; I absolutely love it. Oddly enough, I didn't rush to see E:TGA in the theaters, no particular reason, but I did pick it up on DVD while shopping the other day. What a complete disappointment, but I can't say it's very surprising. This sequel, because that's all it is and I mean The 1998 Elizabeth is probably one of the first movies I acquired on DVD back in the days; I absolutely love it. Oddly enough, I didn't rush to see E:TGA in the theaters, no particular reason, but I did pick it up on DVD while shopping the other day. What a complete disappointment, but I can't say it's very surprising. This sequel, because that's all it is and I mean that in the worst Hollywood sort of way, is visually striking.. and it somewhat ends there. I feel as if the visual ties to the 1998 original are intact, but the story is so light and half-baked in comparison. This is a shame given it's a great period of European history (much more interesting than how she obtained the crown in my opinion, dixit the 1998 original!), Elizabeth was a very interesting person and monarch in a complex situation. Clive Owen surprised me though, I thought he had the part of playing her lover, I was actually grateful it didn't sink that low (no pun, that's for the Spanish!). Expand
  5. JillP.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Patently silly from start to finish. The whole thing seems like an endlessly long perfume ad, complete with billowing gauze and guttering candles in nearly every scene. All style, no substance, a movie does not make.
  6. Chris
    Nov 23, 2007
    Sir Francis Drake, Martin Frobisher and John Hawkins are turning over in their graves after watching Clive Owen defeat the Armada as Raleigh, oh by the way he was on land the whole time.
  7. SarahP.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Extremely disappointing. Boring and so full of misinformation. Costumes and wigs were pretty decent.
  8. PeterK.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Played fast and loose with the facts and evolved into something much bigger and much less than the historical scenario that was Elizabeth's life and times. A pity that such great actors (and such a production) had such a poor treatment of history.
  9. ChadS.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Cate Blanchett is forced to ride a horse and deliver a Mel Gibson-like speech because Sir Walter Raleigh(Clive Owen) is the pro-active character during the last moments of "Elizabeth: The Golden Age". Like Ed Harris("The Abyss") and Harrison Ford("Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade") before him, Owen gets to perform the most dramatic of aquatic stunts, swim underwater. That should tip you Cate Blanchett is forced to ride a horse and deliver a Mel Gibson-like speech because Sir Walter Raleigh(Clive Owen) is the pro-active character during the last moments of "Elizabeth: The Golden Age". Like Ed Harris("The Abyss") and Harrison Ford("Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade") before him, Owen gets to perform the most dramatic of aquatic stunts, swim underwater. That should tip you off as to the problem with this most unlikely sequel. "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" is too big in scale. The film also goes overboard in demystifying "The Virgin Queen". She's too vulnerable, too weepy, in other words, too contemporary. The hissy fit she throws in the pavilion after Bess(Abbie Cornish) betrays her is an eye-roller. Blanchett is good, but this isn't "Dynasty". Expand

1. An unholy mixture of the banal and the bombastic.
    Cate Blanchett can do anything, even play Bob Dylan, but she can't save this creaky sequel to her star-making 1998 biopic of Elizabeth I.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Without the pleasure of watching Cate Blanchett continue the role that launched her to stardom, there would be little to recommend this latest of many cinematic and television accounts of the celebrated monarch's life.