6.7

1. Nov 29, 2013
    it was a quite good movie to watch in some moment their was little bit miss directing.But after all the movie was very specious.If their will be a place like Elysium I will join with Matt Demon
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie had some entertaining moments but it's basically another propaganda film from the left. If you like Matt Damon and an action-filled movie, it might be worth 2 hours of your life but you can probably do better than this.
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    this movie it is disappointing a lot of bad words and cruel situations didn't like it at all, i was expecting more from Damon why they have to use the f word all the time.
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    Really disappointing to see 2 of my favorite actors (matt and jodie) bomb it with this one. Basically, Occupy Wall Street with space ships. My kids and I sat around all-too-accurately predicting the plot and even dialogue. I love the part where a bunch of random numbers flash on the screen and the character recognizes it as reboot code right.
  5. Dec 27, 2013
    I didn't really care for the movie. It's one of those movies where I kept looking at my watch to estimate how much longer the movie has. The acting was ok, but that's no surprise. It just didn't live up to the hype.
  6. Dec 28, 2013
    Although Elysium is certainly disappointing (due largely to outrageous expectations set by District 9), the film does contain a breathtaking action sequence or two, and a humane and likable Matt Damon in the lead role.
  7. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film I very much looked forward to after really liking district 9. D9 had so much leaning towards apartheid in South Africa and Jodie Foster used the accent rather poorly I might add and this one basically used spanish speaking and Los Angeles as the poor area. Elysium is much like Newport Beach in "The OC" is treated and Malibu in Los Angeles. There are many other opportunities to venture on ideas and they were overlooked. This was free from Redbox so the price was right. The worst part was having to waste the time and gas to return the disc. Expand
  8. Dec 29, 2013
    Elysium is great, great story line, a handfull of seasoned great actors
    Jodie foster, mat damon, woman who played in "i am legend"
    Guy who played in movie "heat"
    I never got bored, always wondering whats next,
    A full value movie for your $
    There is way too many critical nit pickers out there.
    A very good entertaining movie period
  9. Jan 1, 2014
    It isn't as good as District 9, but that doesn't mean it isn't good at all, it's actually a very good action film. The story is pretty good, the performances aren't great, but what shines are the visual effects and just the slow motion moments are exhillerating.

Elysium gets a 7.3/10
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    Look. Movies like this don't need any of the following qualities to be "good": 1.) Believability (according to who, and who would assume that what they believe could happen should be the same assumption for everyone?), 2.) Realistic action sequences and flawless special effects (I honestly do NOT care about this, unless it is painfully, painfully obvious that the action sequences are not of a professional quality.), and 3.) Sci Fi can still be "preachy" and still be science fiction. I never felt lectured to. I welcomed ideas of class warfare. Class "warfare" is a healthy thing in society, if it humbles the proud, and helps the more destitute and forgotten in society. I truly, honestly believe that the lack of compassion (or the grave need of it) toward those who are in need, or who are lonely, etc. (be it most any kind of need) is at the heart of this movie. It is about mercy, about the need for freedom and equality, about karma and true justice, and most of all, about selflessness, sacrifice, and pure love. How can ANYONE honestly dislike this movie, other than the brutality and language (and ok, the off-color, suggestive remarks, etc. by Kruger)? This is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. And one more thing. Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror/Supernatural movies, etc. are ALL HIGHLY unrealistic. People need to stop expecting this kind of fiction to behave in the same way as a crime drama, political, etc. thrillers, historical fiction/based on true events, etc., romances, most romantic comedies, and most other kinds of drama, movies, etc. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    61! The **** is wrong with you guys! You guys probably need to drink more is all.... Try and see the story from each characters point of view... ah screw it you guys are too sober.. or dumb.. I don't care for either one..
  12. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to point out that, Damon's posture was very similar with his Bourne role. Like the way he carries his backpack. That's bad. And the way the villain died, really that easy? The worst thing was the last part. The characters just do not fit. Expand
  13. Jun 20, 2014
    So I was hyped when I heard the director of District 9 (which in my opinion was a little flawed, but overall a solid 7/10 film) was coming out with a new blockbuster sci-fi film starring Matt Damon. I missed it when it was in Cinemas and watched it recently when it popped up on Sky On Demand.... aaaannnd BOOOY was I surprised. I mean, there was exactly zero chance that I expected it to be as bad as it is. Now I realize that I'm either in the minority or the angry half, so let me give evidence and thus reason for my argument against this abominable waste of time.

First off, the main character is dull, cliche and not a singe bit spectacular in the least! He's a downright **** hole at times and entirely unrelatable, making decisions no one ever in the history of forever would ever EVER make, and the exo-skeleton thing? Boring. The film shoots itself in the foot by never going into the abilities, or even the importance or point of the damned thing. So he rips a car door off and he punched someone really hard that one time... great, spectacular, real memorable stuff guys.

The story and narrative is an absolute mess and is rushed beyond belief. For a film that's an hour and forty minutes it flew by. It's such a scrambled disaster that I cannot decide if it just skips from Beginning to End with no Middle, or whether or not it has a Beginning in the first place. The narrative just drags the audience along, like it's mocking you. I could almost hear it shouting: "Ok, here we go, Main Character? Check. Pointless love interest? Check. Hilariously pathetic Villain played by the Main character from that film before this one that everyone will be comparing this film to? Check. Alright, we're ready, only an hour and forty minutes, go go go! " It's just loathsome.

The settings themselves are soooooo uninspired. It's just Poor Earth and Rich Life-sustaining Satellite. Seriously!? That's it? Where's the damn variety? You mean to tell me that humanity just splits in two? Life is that simple huh? A and B? Black and White!? What a joke. The Elysium itself looks cool from far away shots, but once I saw its surface I became enraged . Every house, every swimming pool, every golf course, every PERSON. It all looks the same. And the Rich people are pathetic and laughably designed. They're just your posh stuck-up, head in the clouds stereotypes. And they all speak French. And treat Robots with discrimination. HOW ORIGINAL. NEVER SAW THAT ONE COMING, AWARD-WINNING STUFF. Also, the movie goes into the fact that Elysium was created because Earth was too over-populated and economies were collapsing... so you mean to tell me that instead of using this amazing, ultra-super-duper technology, that can build huge Earth-orbiting worlds that can preserve human life in the wealthiest way possible, instead of using it to save lives or build new countries or anything charitable, no instead someone with the mind similar to that of Hitler thought they'd take being a dick to the next level and flee the Human Race's problems. Who came up with that idea? Doctor Eggman? I mean this kind of selfishness and just outright evil does not and just would not exist. It just completely goes against human nature, ESPECIALLY in today's culture. It's so unrealistic relative to our world that it's unbelievable... and not in the good way.

The ONLY good parts are the fight scenes which, where they surprisingly lack in quantity, make up for it in quality. The main villain is another horrendously laughable mockery. I guess they were supposed to make him a beefy psychopath, but he makes no sense (I didn't think it was possible to make no sense with making a nonsensical character, but apparently this movie somehow did it) and his voice is hilarious and unintentionally inhuman. While watching this it was the first time I've ever burst out loud laughing at an intentionally serious villain. Needless to say, he's just not threatening in the slightest, but the fight scene between him and Damon (can't remember main character's name, ain't that a good sign?) are futuristically stylized and fun to behold.

In conclusion, some of the designs are kinda neat and the few futuristic fight scenes are cool looking, but a Science Fiction film should not and basically cannot rely on Action to carry itself. Crappy narrative with uninspired settings and characters cannot work when paired with infrequent action scenes. Elysium is unmemorable, downright laughable at times, shameful in its depiction of a realistic future, boring, cliche and brings absolutely nothing new to the table. The only people I would recommend this to would be Nazis.
  14. Jun 17, 2014
    If you can buy into the premise that the rich on "Elysium" engage in inequality simply for inequality's sake, then you might be entertained... I wasn't. The only entertaining part of this movie is his conversation with the automated police officer (and you can see that in an extended online preview). SPOILERS**** Really, the entire premise of this movie is basically that those on "Elysium" withhold life saving machine pods from the people of Earth... just because. Seriously, there isn't an explanation for this, they just horde them. In the end, they simply send a bunch of these pods down and "equality" reigns again. Expand
  15. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing mentioned in this review is past the 20 minute mark of the movie and much of it is mentioned/shown in the previews. If you consider that a spoiler, stop reading..

This movie is painful to watch. I can generally suspend disbelief but the broken logic was too much for me to get past. The planet is diseased and vastly overpopulated (Opening screen)? How'd they manage that? Bad diseases kill people. Apparently famine and war (which would go hand in hand) would fix the overpopulation issue, but apparently aren't happening.

Matt Damon's job is doing something that robots could do 10 years ago.,,and this is 150 years in the future? Oh and let's not forget the robots. Robot policemen who are programmed to emulate the behavior of the worst type of cop in today's world. Um, why??? In the previews, ships were destroyed trying to get to Elysium. What they didn't show was Elysium seeing them and contacting a guy back on Earth to blindly shoot shoulder fired rockets back into space to blow them up. Um, Why??????? No self defense of any kind on the space station? No lasers, or even the tiny rockets that Kruger fired?

The final straw was Matt Damon's "accident" at work. Besides being utterly predictable, they have all of the safety precautions employed in the 1910's. Nevermind a 4 ton door that won't open once it starts to close and gets jammed, yet somehow Matt Damon with a broken arm can unjam it?

I could go on but, my God, I can't bring myself to do it. I started getting a headache trying to rationalize the movie.
  16. Oct 12, 2014
    Bom elenco, orgulhoso dos atores brasileiros que estiveram presentes, a história vai crescendo e ficando melhor durante o filme, claro que como qualquer outro algumas partes decaem mas nada que atrapalhe o ápice do filme no final.
  17. Nov 8, 2014
    Rich Republicans and Their Lackeys Lost In Space! Elysium is the logical conclusion of a Survival-of-the-Fittest philosophy currently espoused by many Republicans, Tea Party fanatics and the apolitical, super rich. Greed and selfishness is the Law-of-the-Land in Elysium! Don't bother healing the critically ill on Earth with amazing life saving technology. If the sick are not one of the rich and powerful living aboard the giant ocean-liner-in-space then let 'em drop dead in the streets! This is a place where Ayn Rand would be King!

Elysium is the ultimate gated community! A wet dream for any rich and powerful person who sees the rest of us as a threat. The corporations and their lackeys in government, the courts and the press literally turn the earth into one giant cesspool and then they get to escape to a corporate utopia in outer space! All I can say is: God help us all!

Films like Elysium are a wake-up call to help prevent what might actually happens someday if the course the vast majority of the world is on is not changed!
  18. Nov 13, 2014
    "Elysium" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: As usual, Blomkamp has a great and interesting idea. Very creative and full of social commentary without ramming it down your throat. Damon and Foster do a great job as adversaries despite spending little screen time together. The gritty backdrop (the same for District 9) of life on Earth vs. the peaceful bliss that is Elysium was
    an excellent contrast.

The Bad: The action scenes could have been better. Far too much shaky cam and fast movement so that you're not always sure what happened. Sharlto Copley, Foster's main enforcer and one of the main villains in the film, was a little over-the-top and was more interesting when he didn't say much.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Aug 22, 2013
    Nothing in the movie matches the fascination of its premise and its opening 10 minutes: the undisturbed status quo is mesmeric. Once the narrative grinds into gear, however, the film's distinctive quality is lost.
  2. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 22, 2013
    In lesser hands, Elysium might have played like a Lib Dem manifesto with extra spaceships, but the South African filmmaker wants to explore ideas, not wave placards, and whether or not you agree with the film’s politics, the fire in its belly is catching.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Aug 9, 2013
    Blomkamp overdoes even his best effects. (I would have welcomed more vistas of Elysium to break up the grungefest.) If Elysium is an example of how recession-era Hollywood intends to dramatize the rift between the haves and the have-nots, let’s hope the studios don’t also bring back Smell-O-Rama.