8.0

1. Apr 13, 2015
    Enchanted was a surprisingly clever movie, making fun of all the Disney fairy tale cliches we grew up with by pointing out how unrealistic they are in the real world. Amy Adams is hopelessly adorable throughout--her boundless optimism and cheerfulness become obnoxious at times, but even the annoyance is a nice commentary on how silly it is to be as happy and excited as a storybookEnchanted was a surprisingly clever movie, making fun of all the Disney fairy tale cliches we grew up with by pointing out how unrealistic they are in the real world. Amy Adams is hopelessly adorable throughout--her boundless optimism and cheerfulness become obnoxious at times, but even the annoyance is a nice commentary on how silly it is to be as happy and excited as a storybook character all the time. Some of the movie's gags are on the silly side, and of course the whole thing is syrupy sweet with a predictably storybook ending, but overall I thought it was well done. Expand
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    This movie was pretty much as funny as I expected - and then again, in the end, it turned about to be sappier and more about silly romance than I usually like. And, no, I didn't like the love story and happy ending in this one, either. Sorry guys.

The idea of the movie is brilliant, though, and the characters are great and well acted. The sarcasm towards fairytales is pretty much there all the time (in the beginning, anyway).

The questions directed at the irrational world of fairytales are admirable - and so are the answers :P Life might not be this simple, but what the hell.
  3. Jul 30, 2014
    "Enchanted" has something of its fairy-tale magic. It features a childish love story, but it looks fresh and vivid. Amy Adams deserves acclaim for her enjoyable performance, even if her portrayal of Giselle brings nothing new or original. The plot is disturbingly generic, but this is a Disney film, after all. The orchestral score is nice, but it lacks the modern feel of New York that could"Enchanted" has something of its fairy-tale magic. It features a childish love story, but it looks fresh and vivid. Amy Adams deserves acclaim for her enjoyable performance, even if her portrayal of Giselle brings nothing new or original. The plot is disturbingly generic, but this is a Disney film, after all. The orchestral score is nice, but it lacks the modern feel of New York that could suit the film's atmosphere, while the visual effects, especially regarding the dragon, look a bit out of date. Overall, it's a good film to pass some time, mainly for children. Expand
  4. Jul 5, 2014
    There are certain things I like about this movie. The characters are likable and funny sometimes, the songs are childish but good and the run-time is moderate. The film still provides some laughs and overall, it's pretty entertaining and curious.
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    Enchanted is downright hilarious, and Amy Adams shines here. The movie turns from dark to mystical to full of humor, and then back to dark again. And believe it or not, the movie has depth.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    A Disney movie brought to life with such color and character. The comedy is made for kids, but it still made me laugh. A feel good movie that is simple and sweet. Just magical
  7. Mar 2, 2013
    Enchanted gives you a feeling that no other movie can give you what starts out as a corny childrens movie turns into a romantic love story that gets every emotion out of you this movie seriously can stand against the other animated classic disney princess movies the jokes are funny the filming is good and the whole movie gives you a warm feeling that makes you wonder why cant life be moreEnchanted gives you a feeling that no other movie can give you what starts out as a corny childrens movie turns into a romantic love story that gets every emotion out of you this movie seriously can stand against the other animated classic disney princess movies the jokes are funny the filming is good and the whole movie gives you a warm feeling that makes you wonder why cant life be more like this amazing Expand
  8. Feb 23, 2013
    Easily the best movie of all time. Amy Adams, nailed every aspect of a Disney Princess. This movie was full of great ideas, music fun and a wonderful storyline. Pure Genius at its best. My feelings would be truly hurt if a sequel was not made. Definitely on the same Pedestal as The Wizard of OZ! Bravo Disney it's a champion of a movie. It'd be a dream come true to have a sequel and I wishEasily the best movie of all time. Amy Adams, nailed every aspect of a Disney Princess. This movie was full of great ideas, music fun and a wonderful storyline. Pure Genius at its best. My feelings would be truly hurt if a sequel was not made. Definitely on the same Pedestal as The Wizard of OZ! Bravo Disney it's a champion of a movie. It'd be a dream come true to have a sequel and I wish I could be a voice in such an iconic film. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2012
    I feel more disconnected than Enchanted, despite some delightful sequences.
  10. May 29, 2012
    It definitely feels like a lot of work was put into it and it benefits from just that. Its got romance, humor, and great characters, even if the action is somewhat unbeneficial
  11. May 24, 2012
    It's good but not great. The acting is very cheesy, ridiculous and weird. But the plot though is very clear and good. The special effects were amazing and it makes the movie look good. If I was a critic, my Metascore would have been 65/100....
  12. Apr 10, 2012
    This must be one of the best musicals in years, the music, plot and scenes are just amazing. I love the songs the most. I believe there is no reason for anyone to hate this movie!!!
  13. Apr 2, 2012
    Enchanted is good enough to watch mainly because of Amy Adams, which brings life to the entire movie. Very predictable with lots of corny scenes but bearable.
  14. Sep 29, 2011
    "Enchanted" is dumb and childish. That's why I loved it.
  15. May 24, 2011
    This movie **** sucked, I hated it, it makes watching grass grow interesting. What the hell was the director's problem making this box office piece of ****
  16. Apr 23, 2011
    When I seen the trailer, I thought the movie was funny and original. The movie was original enough but then I realised they already shown all the funny bits in the trailer. And finally, this movie was horribly cheesy.
  17. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decent movie with good performances, but felt the movie was kinda cliched. I also felt the battle with the dragon in the end was kinda overkill. Great 2d animated intro though. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about this movie its simply enchanting.The film is bascially about a cartoon princess named Giselle who is banished by an evil Queen to modern day NYC in human form and falls in love with a single father who works as a divorce attorney in New York. Although she's got the best of both worlds but she has to choose one and also to find out who she really loves Robert(Dempsey) or Edward(Marsden) Amy Adams was brilliant as the soon to be princess Giselle who is transformed into a real life woman in Times Square nyc and Patrick Dempsey was a real prince charming in this movie it was the only movie that I actually liked him in as he is a bit overrated. The whole story is magical and it will make you feel like a kid again by looking at the references in the film and the music which is composed by the two guys that did music for The Hunchback of Nortre Dame and Pocahontas(Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz)was brilliant I loved all the songs and the instrumental pieces. James Marsden who played/voiced and sang as Prince Edward was hilarious in this movie. He acted like he was spoofing Jim Carrey he was that good. The ending was rather predictiable as Giselle chooses Robert over Edward,but having said that it is definetly one to watch again and again if you are like me a fan of Disney fairytales like Beauty & the Beast,The Little Mermaid,Snow White & Cinderella then this film is for you. If you are a guy then don't bother as you will find the characters annoying and you probably say its stupid. But if you are a girl that wants something to keep her mind relaxed and fancies Patrick Dempsey or if you like stuff that will bring you to another world then this is for you. Susan Sarandon I found was a bit dull in this film as she was only in the live action world for like 15 mins. The dragon scene was ok nothing like Spiderman or whatever but still its my all time favourite film and like I said in the first line its brilliant and enchanting. And who can forget that cute chipmunk Pip and Morgan who was adorable. My only downside I had to this film was that there was alot of errors that can easily be spotted with the corner of your eye and it can be unsuitable for chiildren who are like 4 years old as Giselle feels Robert's chest and there is an odd scary scene. I'd say that this film is catered for 12 up as its not aimed at younger children(except for that chipmunk) but having said this its a fantastic movie. 9/10 Expand
  19. BethanyD
    Feb 22, 2009
    'Enchanted' is such a romantic fantasy story/movie. There is a Princess called Gazelle and a Prince called Edward. But then she comes into the real world leaving the cartoon world. My favourite part is when Gazelle meets a man. I forgot what his name is. Anyway, what was I saying now. Oh yeah! The man decides that Gazelle should stay with him for a little while. The little girl 'Enchanted' is such a romantic fantasy story/movie. There is a Princess called Gazelle and a Prince called Edward. But then she comes into the real world leaving the cartoon world. My favourite part is when Gazelle meets a man. I forgot what his name is. Anyway, what was I saying now. Oh yeah! The man decides that Gazelle should stay with him for a little while. The little girl decides that Gazelle should stay for a little while as well. I'm sorry but I don't know all these names. I think 'Enchanted' is the bestest movie. Well, I have got some other best movies but still it's the bestest movie. The other best movies are Open Season, Flushed Away, Garfield comes to the real world, Like Mike, Scooby Doo, Monsters Inc; Bee Movie and last of all Step Up 2: The streets! WOW. That is a load of films that I like there. And I might still have some more films but forget all about those films that I watch/like. See ya laters!!!! Expand
  20. LaurenS
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm a teen and i thought the movie was okay for its type of genre. It's more of a tweenish movie; ages 6-10 might enjoy it. Even if your a little older, the movie is actually not as bad as i had imagined. It's not totally boring, but on the other hand, it's the general family movie that parents, teens, tweens, and young children want. I can't say that i loved it, I'm a teen and i thought the movie was okay for its type of genre. It's more of a tweenish movie; ages 6-10 might enjoy it. Even if your a little older, the movie is actually not as bad as i had imagined. It's not totally boring, but on the other hand, it's the general family movie that parents, teens, tweens, and young children want. I can't say that i loved it, but i give it credit for making me actually say that it actually a good movie. Not for teens, and not really for tweens (10-11), but younger kids might take this movie to the heart. Expand
  21. DavidS
    Jan 15, 2009
    Corny. A butchery of every fairy tale we grew up loving. Is this what Disney amounts to now?
  22. helen
    Jan 2, 2009
    I think amy adams does a wonderful job in this movie, spot on with the mannerisms of a cartoon princess! loved it.
  23. HyperS
    Dec 11, 2008
    I'm a guy, but I'll admit a good chic flick when I see it. Only thing that could have been better was the villain's demise at the end as it wasn't the prototypical fairytale ending. Now I must cut this review short and go break something before my testosterone level falls too far into dangerous levels (its a guy thing).
  24. GDer
    Jul 27, 2008
    The begnning is cute and Amy Adams stays in character pulling it off, the rest of the enchanted cast not so and the ending bombed, Susan Saradon was mediocre. A shame they did not develop a characters or a strong story line. Although the Alan Menken songs are terrific.
  25. PrincessC
    Apr 7, 2008
    This is an absolute adorable movie. This movie took a fairy tale like story and modernized it. Although it changes from cartoon to real life it is an enjoyable film for everyone. It was nice to see a movie that was not all about violence and sex. This a great movie for kids as well as adults. This movie filled with warmth was definitely worth my money.
  26. Kayleighms
    Mar 28, 2008
    When an animated fairy tale princess (Amy Adams) winds up in a live-action reality, the result is destined to be entertaining. And
  27. MargoW
    Feb 13, 2008
    A wonderful, cheerful film that, for a change, has no bitter, sardonic edge. Really enjoyable for everyone, and will help older folks recover some of the simple joy of living they thought they had lost.
  28. StephenP.
    Jan 25, 2008
    Simply one of the happiest, warmest films in years. I just loved it!
  29. DaveG.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greatest movie of all time! Ever!
  30. mariak.
    Jan 9, 2008
    this is an extremely interesting and funny film.i just love it!after watching the film it became one of my favourite films. while watching it with my family we had such great fun.
  31. AS
    Jan 5, 2008
    Good movie for adults as well as children.
  32. philipb.
    Dec 29, 2007
    This year has been full of great, fun-for-all movies. This is one of the best.
  33. KevinL.
    Dec 26, 2007
    I loved Amy Adams in JUNEBUG, and was so hoping she'd hit this out of the park. She's the best thing in it, no doubt,;but in the end it's still a fantasy piece in a mythical unrecognizable Manhattan without much charm because it lacks sass. Overall, a disappointment.
  34. Rob
    Dec 22, 2007
    Best movie of 2007 by a long, long way. Unless you hate fun, laughter and tears of joy, you owe it to yourself and your entire family to watch Enchanted. At least once.
  35. SamT.
    Dec 20, 2007
    Major disappointment from Disney. very lazy, dull, lacklustre film. Characters are not well developed and no chemistry exists between the lead pair. Boring. Best movie to avoid.
  36. JezzaR
    Dec 20, 2007
    Sometimes you feel that a lot more could have been done with this idea.
  37. ChadS.
    Dec 16, 2007
    At the ball, Giselle(Amy Adams) is finally able to differentiate real love from storybook love when Robert(Patrick Dempsey) meets her gaze, and it's such a perfect moment, ironic, too, because a crystalline moment that pure and unadulterated is indeed storybook in nature. "Enchanted" enchants, finally. Before the swoon, however, this near-miss movie is hampered by lazy writing. At the ball, Giselle(Amy Adams) is finally able to differentiate real love from storybook love when Robert(Patrick Dempsey) meets her gaze, and it's such a perfect moment, ironic, too, because a crystalline moment that pure and unadulterated is indeed storybook in nature. "Enchanted" enchants, finally. Before the swoon, however, this near-miss movie is hampered by lazy writing. "Enchanted" doesn't properly address the shock an animated character would experience upon entrance into the real world. For example, when Giselle falls from some scaffolding, the film fails to acknowledge that a cartoon figure would never experience physical pain in their animated realm. In Wim Wenders' "Faraway So Close"(the sequel to "Wings of Desire"), an angel sees his blood for the first time. "Enchanted" would be far better if Giselle was just a tad more existential, and inquistive about the differences between both worlds. The real world doesn't acknowledge the existence of animated films. When Prince Edward(James Marsden) uses the television remote, he never encounters the world of his previous incarnation as an animated figure. "Enchanted" doesn't want to get too complicated, which is an insult of sorts, because this film is obviously for young girls. There's also an insidious anti-feminist ideology at work, too. Rather than be a smart woman like Mata Hari, or a strong woman like Rosa Parks(from a book Robert gives Rachel(Morgan Phillip) on her birthday), the young girl is confronted with a princess as her primary role model. Well, I'll shut the hell up now. "Enchanted" is redeemed by an ultra-romantic ending. Expand
  38. KevinC.
    Dec 15, 2007
    How can you not love this film? Sit back, relax and be totally Disnified. I had a bad day at work and by the time I left I was singing a happy tune. Great for kids or grown-ups. Just go see it.
  39. SeanA.
    Dec 14, 2007
    This is a Disney Classic allready! I can see myself owning this and watching it with my kids that I havn't even had yet!
  40. charlie
    Dec 12, 2007
    Terrible. Even for a children's movie.
  41. RoseB
    Dec 10, 2007
    It was great, funny, romantic, and a movie that you won't forget !!! GREAT !!!!
  42. FrancineB
    Dec 10, 2007
    I was entertained beyond my expectations. The plot has more substance than you might expect, and deals with themes of real love and being a strong woman. There were audible "yucks" from the children in the theater, however, during the kissing and during one scene where the would-be princess touches Mc Dreamy's chest. That aside, my young daughters said that they enjoyed the movie. I I was entertained beyond my expectations. The plot has more substance than you might expect, and deals with themes of real love and being a strong woman. There were audible "yucks" from the children in the theater, however, during the kissing and during one scene where the would-be princess touches Mc Dreamy's chest. That aside, my young daughters said that they enjoyed the movie. I nearly cried a couple of times. Worth seeing, in my opinion. Expand
  43. Eileen
    Dec 6, 2007
    My friend and I enjoyed this fanciful musical comedy immensely. The mix of adult and child humor is spot on and engaging. All the casting is wonderful but the movie hinges on Amy Adams and she pulls it off to a T, playing the soon-to-be-princess with just the right tone. Dempsey does a solid job, too and Sarandon is terrific as the meanie with support from Spall. The squirrel's My friend and I enjoyed this fanciful musical comedy immensely. The mix of adult and child humor is spot on and engaging. All the casting is wonderful but the movie hinges on Amy Adams and she pulls it off to a T, playing the soon-to-be-princess with just the right tone. Dempsey does a solid job, too and Sarandon is terrific as the meanie with support from Spall. The squirrel's antics in NYC are laugh-out-loud funny. The story is spare but the visuals and backstory fill it out and the movie surprisingly ends up being empowering as well as optimistic. The production reminds me of Mary Poppins but with better CGI. If you like that and other musicals you will likely love this and count it a potential classic. Expand
  44. DavidS.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Enjoyable movie. Make beleive comes to New York.....isn't that ironic.
  45. SteveH
    Dec 2, 2007
    As long as you understand your viewing a Disney movie, this a very fun movie.
  46. Fantasy
    Dec 1, 2007
    Loved it. Walt Disney if he were alive would have approved. Feel good movie of the holiday season.
  47. K.O.
    Dec 1, 2007
    I was dragged to this by my wife and i admit that it was charming and Amy Adams proves JUNEBUG was not a fluke.
  48. EduardoF.
    Nov 29, 2007
    In Enchanted Disney recaptures the magic it had lost years ago, it has a feel good story and the performance of Amy Adams is a must see.
  49. John
    Nov 28, 2007
    Hilarious, touching, romantic and catchy, Enchanted is the best musical-comedy-romance I've seen in a long time.
  50. billC.
    Nov 27, 2007
    I liked the Pop-Up Book blends in several scenes, but felt the movie should have made more of the "Fish Out Of Water" aspect with the film going from animation to real -life of the two central characters. Our 8 year old grandson gave it a 5 out of 10. Maybe it's target audience is more little girls than boys, although I doubt it. Not bad at all , but largely forgettable in the end.
  51. AllanB.
    Nov 27, 2007
    The movie was very enjoyable for both adults and children. A great "feel good" holiday-time movie. I would recommend this for a good family-time movie.
  52. Adrienne
    Nov 26, 2007
    Very, very cute. Engaging. A post-modern Disney fairy tale.
  53. BrianK.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Very Enjoyable! At times laugh out loud funny! Innovative and touching... a great date movie!
  54. MarkT.
    Nov 26, 2007
    An absolute treat! Amy Adams was brilliant as the princess! If you ever wondered how the whole Disney princess thing translates into modern day NYC go see this film. It's hilarious! It also showed how Disney can keep things fresh. It's original and will become one of Disney's classics along the lines of Cinderella and Bambi.
  55. LenP.
    Nov 26, 2007
    How any critic can compare this to Hairspray only goes to show that many critics today have their heads up their asses.There was nothing that made this film special.The design work both Costumes and Production Design were lazy to say the least. James Marsden was the only saving grace here in a pedestrian piece of crap. Susan saran Wrap was beyond terrible. If I remember correctly the only How any critic can compare this to Hairspray only goes to show that many critics today have their heads up their asses.There was nothing that made this film special.The design work both Costumes and Production Design were lazy to say the least. James Marsden was the only saving grace here in a pedestrian piece of crap. Susan saran Wrap was beyond terrible. If I remember correctly the only original piece of this film were the end credits. Expand
  56. BBD.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Brought the husband, 6 and 9 year old boys and loved it. The audience clapped at the park sequence. Lovely! We had a great time. Just loved it!
  57. NeilB
    Nov 25, 2007
    This movie is very enjoyable for all ages. It's funny and brings in a slight twist to the story that aren't in most fairy tales. While saying that, the girls voice can get a little annoying. :P
  58. TroyK
    Nov 25, 2007
    Very funny movie that was enjoyed by all of my family. Just be prepared for it to all fall apart towards the end. Could have been a classic.
  59. KenM.
    Nov 25, 2007
    The three leading actors -- especially Adams and Marsden -- are superb. Everything is cleverly conceived and executed. A little corny, maybe, but sometimes the best things in life are corny if you're honest about them.
  60. RachelH.
    Nov 24, 2007
    This movie was totally entertaining from beginning to end! It was highly creative, and a wonderful escape movie that I would recommend to anyone.
  61. AriN
    Nov 24, 2007
    It had very cool characters. I really cracked up.I had a very interesting ending because the fight.I liked how the prince and Nancy and Robert and the Giselle got married.It was one of the best movies I have seen in my life Ari neugeboren and Eric Neugeboren-
  62. MovieDude
    Nov 24, 2007
    One of the greatest flicks I've ever seen. I especially liked the part when the incredible met the guy in New York City! Wow! that was the coolest piece of film making I have never seen.
  63. TimL.
    Nov 24, 2007
    A brilliantly charming, funny film that will melt your heart. I took my wife and three teen daughters to this flick for a family night out, expecting to sit though another Disney "tweener" flick. I was not prepared for how thoroughly entertaining this movie turned out to be! There is something for everyone from ages 4 to 70. Amy Adams is astounding, as she brings to life every sound and A brilliantly charming, funny film that will melt your heart. I took my wife and three teen daughters to this flick for a family night out, expecting to sit though another Disney "tweener" flick. I was not prepared for how thoroughly entertaining this movie turned out to be! There is something for everyone from ages 4 to 70. Amy Adams is astounding, as she brings to life every sound and body movement of a prototypical Disney animated princess (Belle, Ariel, Snow White, etc). Most surprisingly though, is there is even a Disney-clean, but still very moving, grown-up love story for parents who take their kids to see this. My bet is that once the word of mouth starts, this will be a huge, huge hit. Expand
  64. VeronicV.
    A beautiful classic Disney story
  65. WendyL.
    Nov 23, 2007
    This retired couple just returned from a matinee thoroughly (sorry about this) enchanted with the movie. Delightful humor, wonderful songs, special effects that were terrific, and actors who obviously were enjoying themselves made for a great movie experience. We followed families who were literally singing and dancing out of the theater. That says it all.
  66. HughO.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Took 6 kids, boys and girls, 4 to 14, and 2 adults. All laughed, were fully entertained. Shrek like combo of kid and adult humor. NYC used effectively. Disney pokes fun at itself. Not too scary. A pleasant surprise with actual character development.
  67. SamS.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Laughed out loud and even shrieked a few times at Giselle's naivete. As a Disney fan and New Yorker, I inevitably adored this movie. Please try not to be so jaded that you feel it is necessary to dismiss this type of entertainment. Give in and just enjoy it for what it is: satire/comedy/romance/musical/fantasy.
  68. TrentW.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Actually one of the most entertaining movies of the year surprising quite like the surprise that was Stardust.
  69. BillyS.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium was a kids movie that lacked on crucial ingrediant - the Wonder. Enchanted, on the other hand, lives up to its title by practically bursting with enchantment! The melding of animation into a live action film is handled seamlessly as a Snow White type cartoon heroine is banished from her cartoon kingdom to the harsh cruel world of New York City with her Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium was a kids movie that lacked on crucial ingrediant - the Wonder. Enchanted, on the other hand, lives up to its title by practically bursting with enchantment! The melding of animation into a live action film is handled seamlessly as a Snow White type cartoon heroine is banished from her cartoon kingdom to the harsh cruel world of New York City with her cartoon Prince Charming following her to stage a fairy tale rescue. Enchanted is first though, the movie that will propel Amy Adams to the top of Hollywood's acting pool. She is a joy to watch and her charm simply pours off the screen, comparisons to Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins are sure to come and justified they are. It's the kind of under the radar performance that people will be talking about come Oscar time. James Marsden is just as charming in the role of the prince and Susan Sarandon's entrance as the evil Queen into the streets of NYC is a spectacular visual feast. By taking my neice to see a Disney film, I have witnessed Amy Adams become a A-List Star in a thoroughly enjoyable enchanting movie! Expand
  70. JoyceC.
    Nov 19, 2007
    An outragouse quirkster throughout, nothing spectacular, not a classic, just given by the evolution of creativity of the improvement over the years to show how much the world of movies has done to itself, a little much, but satisfaction always wants more.
  71. TristanC.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Realism is off, an animated world enters the real one, eventually you will intend to consider that the whole thing is animated through the amount of affects, designs, direction, I was never captured by this truly moving picture.
  72. KellyA.
    Nov 19, 2007
    True completion of the art style of Disney profession, this spedazzler is just as magical as the Harry potters with humor and thrills.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    It’s essentially, y’know, for kids, but the dedicated fairy tale fan will have tons of fun spotting all the references. Adams, meanwhile, gives one of the comedy performances of the year.
    Not since Julie Andrews rode an umbrella to glory in Mary Poppins has Disney given us such a real-life doll (Amy Adams).
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A full-blown musical that commutes between Disney's patented cartoon universe and the "real" world with cleverness and grace, this splashy production reminds one of nothing in the Disney canon so much as "Mary Poppins," not least due to the "star is born" aura that surrounds Amy Adams here, just as it did Julie Andrews 43 years ago.