Open Road Films | Release Date: September 21, 2012
WATCH NOW
SuaveWerewolfSep 21, 2016
0 = Worse thing ever made
5 = Average
10 = God's gift to mankind End of Watch is the perfect cop movie. the witty dialogue, partner chemistry, and shootouts leave nothing to be desired. This is a gritty film that displays the "police
0 = Worse thing ever made
5 = Average
10 = God's gift to mankind

End of Watch is the perfect cop movie. the witty dialogue, partner chemistry, and shootouts leave nothing to be desired. This is a gritty film that displays the "police life" perfectly. The main actors are perfect for their roles, and the tension is palpable. End of Watch will get your blood pumping! A must watch.
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
As an Netflix instant watch film, End of Watch was one of the better finds I have located on there. I was very surprised by the quality of this film. Both lead actors make their roles believable and very human for the audience. The gritty wayAs an Netflix instant watch film, End of Watch was one of the better finds I have located on there. I was very surprised by the quality of this film. Both lead actors make their roles believable and very human for the audience. The gritty way in which the movie was shot made the personal touch that much more apparent. Very well written and directed film. Expand
EpicLadySpongeApr 15, 2016
Putting the watch to termination doesn't make me feel like I want more or less. It's totally fine the way it is because End of Watch just keeps moving without making the watch get more time.
DoughBoiiMar 30, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would have to say this is one of the closest realistic police movie out there.
Great movie with great actors, great story, extremely sad ending having seen the bond between two partners separated by the bullets of local cartel members.
The only real reason I didn't give this movie a higher rating is due to the unrealistic ending, it's kind of hard to believe an entire cartel would go after two LAPD Officers, other than that great movie highly recommend seeing.
grandpajoe6191Feb 3, 2016
With dynamic cinematography and some good writing, "End Of Watch" is an excellent film that takes the usual brotherhood cop formula and juices it up with some adrenaline.
MeritCobaJan 26, 2016
A car stocked with criminals nearly made me quit in disgust as their verbal exchanges were so interspaced with curses that it felt pointless to watch more of the crude bro conversation. It wasn't only offensive, it was just hard to follow theA car stocked with criminals nearly made me quit in disgust as their verbal exchanges were so interspaced with curses that it felt pointless to watch more of the crude bro conversation. It wasn't only offensive, it was just hard to follow the maimed speech. I did however resist the temptation, as I did when confronted by the gung-ho style of the main protagonists, two cops, one with Mexican background and the other more mainstream american.
The movie is a bit of an acquired taste therefore. It shows mostly the interaction between the two policemen, whom we follow through their daily routines in keeping a measure of order in a criminal invested neighborhood in LA. There isn't much of a story in it as we mostly follow the guys from incident to incident, most of which are unrelated to each other. The feel of reality is reinforced by the use fake 'handy cam' imagery. Luckily the movie makers resisted the temptation to make the whole movie that way. When used in a careful way this camera work reinforces instead of annoys, like when it became a hype some time ago. I recall a Dutch television series that was shot that way while it did nothing to add to the experience. It was just overdone and annoying.
We also get a peek into the private lives of the cops, thus giving us more of a connection, but in my case it never quite worked out that way. I just didn't get to like the guys with their too brazen attitudes, so I never got to care what happened to them in the end. This is partly because the acting wasn't really remarkable.
What this movie made me wonder is why it was made at all? It seems to pretend to be a documentary. If you want to pretend to be one, why not just make a real one? With real people, for once.

I gave it a 9 anyway because of my self imposed score system. I score in 1,5,9 and 10. Since this movie is better than a five because of the smart camera use and the near real feeling I think it deserves to be in the 9 score more. But barely so.

audreythomas25Jan 20, 2016
Deeply affecting, powerful film that's a thrilling experience. Highly recommended.

Check out this movie here http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29bccd-End-of-Watch-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
nicholsDec 4, 2014
This movie is probably one of my favorite in recent memory. It have great action scenes and well written dialog between the two characters. It have a very realistic feel to it, plus some drama for good measure definitely worth it
lloydharrisonNov 17, 2014
End of Watch turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the year and it surpassed my expectations dramatically. It's only more recently than I've warmed to Jake Gyllenhaal and both him & Michael Peña are great together here. TheEnd of Watch turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the year and it surpassed my expectations dramatically. It's only more recently than I've warmed to Jake Gyllenhaal and both him & Michael Peña are great together here. The chemistry between the duo is one the most convincing and realistic buddy cop pairings I've ever seen. It's the pointless everyday conversations between the pair whilst on patrol that carries the film and makes it believable. Usually I find the found footage style camera work to be a worn out gimmick. But the majority of the time it works well here. And it plays an integral part in making the experience so intense. David Ayer's overall direction is impressive and overall I found this to be a refreshing, original, real and honest take on the buddy cop formula. Expand
Enforcer122Nov 1, 2014
Amazing film. It's one of those films which doesn't fully hit you how great it is until the end. They achieved so much with it considering they had a small budget. Well worth a watch!
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
A moving, powerful film about not only policemen but brothers--poignantly portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena. End of Watch is a new hand-held classic.
drlowdonMay 26, 2014
Officers Taylor (Gyllenhaal ) and Zavala (Peña) are LA cops that respect the jib they do. When a seemingly routine traffic stop leads to the discovery of guns and money linked to a Mexican cartel the pair starts investigating, putting aOfficers Taylor (Gyllenhaal ) and Zavala (Peña) are LA cops that respect the jib they do. When a seemingly routine traffic stop leads to the discovery of guns and money linked to a Mexican cartel the pair starts investigating, putting a target squarely on their backs.

Moving past the fact that the ‘found footage’ aspect makes little sense in this context (even the director actively ignores it at points!) the film moves along at a break neck speed whilst still finding time to explore the lead characters lives to the extent necessary that audiences can invest in the two leads. The action set pieces are also brilliantly shot meaning that, while it can stretch plausibility at times, End of Watch's almost two hour running time flies by.
StaticSpineFeb 3, 2014
The filming is good, the actors/characters are decent, but in my opinion the story lacks some depth and is pretty straightforward, overall an okay movie about policeman everyday life.
nightblade00Jan 16, 2014
As an Netflix instant watch film, End of Watch was one of the better finds I have located on there. I was very surprised by the quality of this film. Both lead actors make their roles believable and very human for the audience. The grittyAs an Netflix instant watch film, End of Watch was one of the better finds I have located on there. I was very surprised by the quality of this film. Both lead actors make their roles believable and very human for the audience. The gritty way in which the movie was shot made the personal touch that much more apparent. Very well written and directed film. Expand
minecraftonianDec 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest going into this movie I didn't know what to expect but it really was great.
The actors did a great job and the movie established a connection between me and the character.
My only real critique would have to be the ending. It seem so... abrupt, just kind of ended. Other than that I would highly recommend.
deepblue2000Sep 22, 2013
Not all movies are meant to be bright and happy, entertaining all audiences. End of Watch is one of these movies. It is raw and gritty and forces the viewer to feel uncomfortable...and it does this very well. It provides a near realistic viewNot all movies are meant to be bright and happy, entertaining all audiences. End of Watch is one of these movies. It is raw and gritty and forces the viewer to feel uncomfortable...and it does this very well. It provides a near realistic view of what it is like to be a cop...the good, the bad and the ugly...and examines a sort of "worst case scenario." This movie is well acted and well executed. The camera style is intentionally shaky and raw, giving the viewer a sense of being right there with them. This is the type of movie you will watch and think about for a while. It carries large themes dealing with morals, ethics and a sense of family. It is highly recommended. Expand
AcaKendrickSnowSep 8, 2013
I watched this movie because Anna Kendrick is in it and I think it is absolutely amazing! All the actors did a fantastic job and the script was so well written and clever. I am doing a project for school about this movie!
andrew_feinbergSep 7, 2013
I'm a huge fan of TNT;s "Southland," so I guess I'll admit to being spoiled as far as seeing realistic depictions of life as a LAPD officer is concerned. By that standard, "End of Watch" is a satisfying, albeit sometimes melodramatic slice ofI'm a huge fan of TNT;s "Southland," so I guess I'll admit to being spoiled as far as seeing realistic depictions of life as a LAPD officer is concerned. By that standard, "End of Watch" is a satisfying, albeit sometimes melodramatic slice of behind the badge that takes us both into the brotherhood that exists between sworn officers and the terror that even the most seasoned must feel (and set aside to do the job) when confronted with horrific violence. Expand
morfilAug 26, 2013
This was a real unique journey in drama. A mix of studio camera and innovative character cameras interwoven with the story. Casting brought two very strong actors together and their chemistry was right on target. The plot was simple but theThis was a real unique journey in drama. A mix of studio camera and innovative character cameras interwoven with the story. Casting brought two very strong actors together and their chemistry was right on target. The plot was simple but the ingredient that put this film over the top was realism and believability. Yes it is very raw and if I got a dollar for every "F-bomb" I could by a home in Malibu for sure. Realism is the main course and this film would not lose it's true identity. I found what really put this movie in the must see category is that ...One minute your laughing and the next you're crying. There are very few films that can achieve this element with this level of quality. This is, without a doubt, one of the very best films of the year. Expand
StevenFJul 24, 2013
The various points of view and personality of End of Watch have created one of the best police dramas in years, with the shaky cam and POV technique that really immerses the viewer in the film, with said film outlining perhaps the dark sideThe various points of view and personality of End of Watch have created one of the best police dramas in years, with the shaky cam and POV technique that really immerses the viewer in the film, with said film outlining perhaps the dark side of being on the right side of the law, the trials of day to day routine but also the obstacles faced when there is always someone with a higher pay grade. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña star as the two LAPD officers, Taylor and Zavala who create a tension of unpredictability and lack of safety as the film progresses. As the documentary style film unfolds, we realise these two officers end up investigating much deeper into the criminal activity in south central LA, nothing really screams new that hasn't been done before, but the way in which it unfolds can sometimes be frightening, often edgy but seriously entertaining.
The story is a character-driven account of these two officers as they deal with their job but also their personal lives, they discuss their ambitions and their love life, these two perfectly fit the bill of a buddy cop film, but it properly explores these two individuals and the closely wound lives they lead, they have weaknesses and fears, something which the two actors perfectly portray, these two officers are friends, they spend their social lives in each others company which makes the film hit home that much more.
The film itself as mentioned explores the gritty side of the police work, and the film tells a brutal tale involving trafficking and brutality of the highest level, with some very gruesome and edgy scenes that come alive with the documentary style and approach. There are laughs to be had at the very real conversations that the two share, with an excellent supporting cast to back up some of these moments.
Writer/Director David Ayer had consistently showed his strength in the cop genre of films, and his latest is a no holds barred action flick that has a lot of heart, but tells a tragic and powerful tale of friendship and doing the right thing, End of Watch succeeds in being real, honest and forthright in the story it tells, leaving room for both the police drama and the personal story the two central characters have, elevating the charisma and heart the film has.
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"End of Watch is a gritty, reckless and emotional film that, gives us the true in-depth look at inner city cops. Filled with Oscar Worthy performances. It should come as no surprise, End of Watch being one of the best cop dramas in years." B+
Nesbitt10May 21, 2013
David Ayer's "End of Watch" is an unflinching cop drama that uses the handheld camera approach to heighten the drama and escalate the tension. “End of Watch" feels closest to Ayer's "Training Day" (2001), albeit with a bit of faux documentaryDavid Ayer's "End of Watch" is an unflinching cop drama that uses the handheld camera approach to heighten the drama and escalate the tension. “End of Watch" feels closest to Ayer's "Training Day" (2001), albeit with a bit of faux documentary footage thrown in to create a level of authenticity and credibility to what might been seen as yet another buddy cop flick. Stylistically, the 'found footage' makes its debut in this genre, and it leaves you wondering how much more this technique can be pushed on us without boring us, or irritating us through its constant jerkiness.

The narrative follows two beat cops Brian Taylor (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Mike Zavala (Michael Pena), buddies and best friends for life who take on the meanest districts in the city of Los Angeles. As part of a film course project, Brian carries with him a video camera to record his days at work, and ropes in Mike to also carry around pinhole cameras, which they wear at their breast pockets. Additional footage comes from the multitude of cameras strategically located in and around their patrol car, and then some. It's all not fun and games as they patrol the streets together, and we see different facets to policing, from criminal gang violence to domesticated issues, right down to an unexplored subplot involving serial gang killings. There's a maxi-arc that runs along the entire film with the Mexican drug cartels, especially with our protagonist duo taking it upon themselves to launch some deeper investigations, at times stumbling upon something much larger than what's at face value. Interestingly enough, a group of violent gang members are engaged in exactly the same sort of small-screen self-promotion, living the street life with their own cameras rolling. Eventually, the two sides, the law and the lawlessness, violently collide.

Well-done with two solid lead performances, the overall pace of the film is quick and the action is continuous. It's respectable, entertaining and worth checking out, but it's not one a would label 'a must see.'
ThegodfathersonMar 28, 2013
End Of Watch is a very fun, brilliantly directed movie. It has been said that team cop movies suck and 21 jump street proved that they don't but End Of Watch is a great new idea with guns, gangsters, and blood. With the makers of Training DayEnd Of Watch is a very fun, brilliantly directed movie. It has been said that team cop movies suck and 21 jump street proved that they don't but End Of Watch is a great new idea with guns, gangsters, and blood. With the makers of Training Day making the film, you know it's a professional film and it is. With its 90 minutes of rollicking, cheesy flicking action this film is superb for a night out with friends. Expand
ExKingMar 27, 2013
an awesome movie i loved every second of it probably the best police movie i have seen in a long time and i'm gonna watch it again and again on a smaller screen.
BrianMcCriticMar 10, 2013
I really enjoyed the two leads. Their chemistry makes this movie as good as it is. Anna Kendrick is also in this film and is good as always. Overall though if the leads weren't as good as they were this movie would suffer.
Bruce722Mar 4, 2013
End of Watch is one of the best cop films I've ever seen and it all starts with the fantastic cast. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña are both incredible actors and the supporting cast is just as great. Because of the entire cast's actingEnd of Watch is one of the best cop films I've ever seen and it all starts with the fantastic cast. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña are both incredible actors and the supporting cast is just as great. Because of the entire cast's acting ability, the emotion and drama felt real and authentic and really pulled you in. The action sequences were also done really well. You felt the intensity through the realism and the emoting and it really made you get on the edge of your seat at times. I also felt the the plot developed really well. Yes, the movie dragged a bit about two-thirds in but that was necessary for the development of the characters and their relationships. Without that portion, you may not care as much so I do not hold that against the movie. The only things that I do think brought the movie down were the extreme overuse of the shaky camera effect and some of the editing of scenes felt too episodic. When you're starting to almost feel a bit dizzy because the camera is shaking so much, I'm pretty sure that means dial it back a bit. I understand that there are plenty of handheld cameras used in the film as part of the plot but those are not the examples I'm referring to. The only other thing I felt was worth mentioning was the blatant foreshadowing in the film. There's a particular scene that essentially spoils the ending. I'm sure not everyone caught it but when I saw the scene I practically threw my hands into the air because I knew right then and there how the movie would end. I'm aware that directors love these little foreshadowing elements because it adds a certain level of cinematic quality but they're supposed to be subtle. Overall though, I'd say that this was a great movie and one that most people, at least those not easily offended by vulgar language and violence, would enjoy. Expand
Sagramola89Feb 21, 2013
Filmed in the style of "found footage" (REC., Blair Witch Project), this police thriller/drama is all about the everyday life of two policemen.

What I liked: The characters were likeable and the acting was great. You really feel like you are getting to know the characters more and more.The movie itself was never boring and the action sequences were well done and thrilling.

What I didn't like: The antagonists ("the gang") seemed too forced, making it less realistic.
VidsRuleJan 28, 2013
This movie manages to have a completely unreastic and a realistic feel at the same time. A very good cop movie. The only problem is the partners are a little too nice to each other. Like their trying to push the friendship too hard to lead toThis movie manages to have a completely unreastic and a realistic feel at the same time. A very good cop movie. The only problem is the partners are a little too nice to each other. Like their trying to push the friendship too hard to lead to more emotion. Comes of as a little cheap. Expand
BinxalotJan 26, 2013
This a decent film, its gritty but ultimately it has an easily predictable ending. It's a good action / pseudo documentary film about 2 cops who are partners that find situation after situation of dealing with the worst criminals humanity hasThis a decent film, its gritty but ultimately it has an easily predictable ending. It's a good action / pseudo documentary film about 2 cops who are partners that find situation after situation of dealing with the worst criminals humanity has to offer in south central LA. Expand
StevePulaskiJan 25, 2013
End of Watch merges an uninspired genre and a tired technique that both miraculously contribute to the reason why the film itself is worth seeing. The genre, first and foremost, is the buddy cop film, which, I believe, needs no introduction,End of Watch merges an uninspired genre and a tired technique that both miraculously contribute to the reason why the film itself is worth seeing. The genre, first and foremost, is the buddy cop film, which, I believe, needs no introduction, and the technique is the unsteady camera employed by either Jake Gyllenhaal's character's handheld camcorder or the camera found on the front of real police cruisers. Merging these two cliches in film seem like a recipe for failure, but when we realize that End of Watch doesn't capitalize off either of those things, we have a good feeling that this film is headed in a better, brighter, more aesthetically and narratively fluent direction.

The story concerns Jake Gyllenhaal's Brian Taylor and Michael Peña's Miguel Zavala, two South Central Los Angeles police officers, who see more action in one day than most police officers see in their lifetime. They are the enemy of almost everyone in the area they work in, and due to their extensive rabble-rousing in the station and on the streets together, are looked down upon by the remainder of the police department. Their first call is a public disturbance one, and the two men are met with a tall, ominous figure called "Tre," who instigates Zavala into fighting. He accepts and after a merciless brawl between the two men, Tre is taken in for public disturbance, not attacking a police officer. Just on that note alone, I knew this wasn't going the traditional way of cop dramas.

The fact is the story is much deeper. While it focuses a lot on the day-to-day lives of the two officers, writer/director David Ayer (S.W.A.T. and Training Day) explores the outside lives of these two men. Taylor, an ex-Marine who has had a rugged and sketchy dating life, is currently dating the sweet and smiley Janet (Anna Kendrick of Pitch Perfect fame, who has silently grown up in this role), while Zavala, on the other hand, is attached to his wife Gabby (Natalie Martinez). The film explores just how deep of a relationship these men have with one another, and how their personal relationships go on to experience notable ups, unfortunate downs, and the sporadic energy and nerve-wracking uncertainty involved with being a cop in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the country.

Yet as a cop drama, the film must fulfill the obligation of having some sort of added tension, which in this case is a gang involved with serious drug cartels. Part of this obligation is fulfilled by having concise insight into the gang life, while the rest is achieved by somewhat suspenseful car chases and thrillingly impressive shootouts. I tire easily from these petty additions, but in End of Watch they are used efficiently and work well to the point of being almost more than tacked-on pot boiler effects.

I believe this is largely thanks to the use of the shaky cam, which contributes to the added effect of realism and suspense. Viewers and opponents of the gimmick will be happy to be informed that the film is only about 25% or 30% documentary-style, and we are, too, provided with numerous different camera angles, one of which, the under-used aerial shot of Taylor and Zavala's cruiser speeding through South Central L.A. The lasting effect is only enhanced by the fuel the humanism brings to the story, resulting in a deeper and more substantial endeavor than just your average summer action movie. By allowing the characters to have more of a human setup and the action to take on a more stylistic approach, there is a nice lack of perfunctory criminal/heist plot and an absence of repetitive serious cop banter. By having numerous little calls result in one big mission for our characters makes this far more interesting and uncertain than one big mission spread out through the course of a near two hour film.

End of Watch tacks on the ending we sort of saw coming, but Ayer shies away from exploiting it unhealthily. If we feel anything, it's definitely not heavy-handed sentimentality, and if we remember anything, we recall the wonderful chemistry had by the two charming and valuable leading men. It should definitely be noted that two great performances were overlooked during this year's award season.

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Peña, Anna Kendrick, Nadine Martinez, and America Ferrera. Directed by: David Ayer.