7.8

1. Sep 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were racist jokes, a gold-plated AK-47, a man who survives being stabbed in the eye with a knife. There's simply not enough of that in movies. Also, the bad guys were cast well. Big Evil plays big evil very well. Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    After having just finished the 5th season of The Shield, I was skeptical that such a short feature would be able to capture the feeling of a small division within the LAPD. Instead, the film focuses on the chemistry and relationship between it's two leads, who are terrific in this film. There are more than a few genuinely funny moments, but there are also a few extremely intense andAfter having just finished the 5th season of The Shield, I was skeptical that such a short feature would be able to capture the feeling of a small division within the LAPD. Instead, the film focuses on the chemistry and relationship between it's two leads, who are terrific in this film. There are more than a few genuinely funny moments, but there are also a few extremely intense and graphically violent scenes. Yet the nature of the unique relationship between the officers is what you leave the film with. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2013
    Two things I am tired of in movies are the hand-held "I am taking this film" technique and the inability of a half dozen people at point blank range with military grade weapons being until to hit their target. If you love cop films you might like this one, but I found it tedious.
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    I watched the movie not knowing what to expect when the main characters were playing completely different type of roles than usual. It chronicled the lives of two cops caught in the war zone of crime, gangs, drugs, and violence and kept a light humor even during the worst scenes. The two young officers, their family involvement, their wives, the job, their fellow officers, personalityI watched the movie not knowing what to expect when the main characters were playing completely different type of roles than usual. It chronicled the lives of two cops caught in the war zone of crime, gangs, drugs, and violence and kept a light humor even during the worst scenes. The two young officers, their family involvement, their wives, the job, their fellow officers, personality profiles were set early and the action went from one dramatic scene to the next with gang bangers and street people actively involved in every aspect of their city's subculture. If you aren't ready for violent action, you might want to pass on this. Every minute there was constant action, dialogue, this movie had no dead air time with nothing but scenery. During the non action moments it was full of banter between the two about everything from their families to their sex lives. Some comedy but mostly drama and action. Expand
  5. Sep 21, 2012
    An amazing police thriller/drama film that reminds you of such great cop show oldies like Adam-12 and 21 Jump Street. With deep characters, great acting and superb directing, End of Watch is worth watching.
  6. Sep 23, 2012
    This film humanizes cops. Excellent movie! The movie contains a lot of criminal trends. It may seem fake to a lot of people but the truth is that what this movie contains in it is reality. When watching this movie people may say "that doesn't happen" the truth is that it does. I will watch this movie again in the next couple of days!!!
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    A good LA Police Department movie using the reality film point of view (although not overdone). A Bromance movie about 2 low level LAPD cops who get in over their head. In summary, it is a good story that show that in the end friendships and family are most important. It does a great job a showing parallels between the police vs. gang life (they are not that different). Good vs. EvilA good LA Police Department movie using the reality film point of view (although not overdone). A Bromance movie about 2 low level LAPD cops who get in over their head. In summary, it is a good story that show that in the end friendships and family are most important. It does a great job a showing parallels between the police vs. gang life (they are not that different). Good vs. Evil was well documented and shows that everyone wants to move up the food chain. The movie make you feel sad in parts where you know they pulled the story-lines from actual police reports. Expand
  8. Jan 10, 2013
    Mostly shot in a first person point of view giving way to a more realistic yet very shaky imagery, it started off by giving us short bursts/stories in the lives of the two cops and at first it felt it was going nowhere fast. However, as the movie went on, I started to realise that each story was merely a piece of a puzzle to help describe the protagonists through their daily actions whichMostly shot in a first person point of view giving way to a more realistic yet very shaky imagery, it started off by giving us short bursts/stories in the lives of the two cops and at first it felt it was going nowhere fast. However, as the movie went on, I started to realise that each story was merely a piece of a puzzle to help describe the protagonists through their daily actions which inevitably define who they truly are. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    It was difficult for me to to watch an amazingly talented actor like J. G. trudge his way through this extended episode of 'Cops'. He is the movie's only saving grace amidst a poorly written screenplay that feels cliché and strips the LAPD of an opportunity to be depicted somewhat accurately in a fictional setting. Yes, it's gunfights and bro-banter entertain, but are lost in a plotIt was difficult for me to to watch an amazingly talented actor like J. G. trudge his way through this extended episode of 'Cops'. He is the movie's only saving grace amidst a poorly written screenplay that feels cliché and strips the LAPD of an opportunity to be depicted somewhat accurately in a fictional setting. Yes, it's gunfights and bro-banter entertain, but are lost in a plot that is forgettable and disappointing. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    You know how Training Day was a gritty well written neo-realistic law enforcement drama....well End of Watch isn't. It falls short, real short. Honestly, I fell asleep in the movie. Combination of bad writing, horrible cinematography, tired scenes of LA, and too much popcorn.
  11. Sep 30, 2012
    This movie is horrible. It starts out as a ripoff of the movie "Colors" and then the plot scatterbrains down different paths from there. Predictable, trite, inconsequential, unimportant, and annoying are some of the adjectives that come to mind when describing this awful attempt at cinematography. There are a few chuckles mixed among the ridiculous garbage. Don't waste your time on this nonsense.
  12. Jan 27, 2013
    I found these two cops quite annoying with their lame, childish banter. The acting is fine but the dialouge seems a little unrealistic in parts. Not as gritty as it could be. I got bored and switched it off. Doesn't come close to a single episode of the Shield. Dissapointing
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    This movie is so bad, it is beyond bad. It is basically unwatchable. When every second word in the script is the F word, it makes you want to turn off the sound. The script seems to have been written by a 14 year old. The acting is atrocious. The photography is nauseating. How can anyone sit through the entire length of this shameful attempt ?
  14. Oct 5, 2012
    Weak story line, poor photography, mellow dramatic glorification of cops and gangs. It has been done many times before and done better. Nothing new here and nothing like the Movie Trailer. Absolute waste of time
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    this jerky camera crap was old with blair witch; unless you're 13 or enjoy that nonsense, give this film a skip. oh and if the excuse is "hey it's cause they're video-taping themselves" then get a camcorder and go out and make your own film; you couldn't do any worse than this.
  16. Oct 7, 2012
    There's been much noise out there about this piece of filmmaking cinematic history. I actually read somewhere a mention of "Training Day" in the same sentence as "End of Watch." Well, let's put our two cents out there... Even, both films share the same scribe, This is not, in any way shape or form, remotely in the category of "Training Day", and all that noise about this film, well, let'sThere's been much noise out there about this piece of filmmaking cinematic history. I actually read somewhere a mention of "Training Day" in the same sentence as "End of Watch." Well, let's put our two cents out there... Even, both films share the same scribe, This is not, in any way shape or form, remotely in the category of "Training Day", and all that noise about this film, well, let's save it for something else worth barking about.
    I was actually baffled to find myself reacting this way to this movie, since David Ayer has a long list of cool movies to his credit. I guess everyone missed a home run here and there. And, then again, this is just my two cents...
    Swimming somewhere deep in the current idiotic trend to shoot movies with video cameras the filmmakers found what barely passes for inspiration as a visual theme. Bring a bottle of Advil with you. The camera work is in deed that bad.
    But if the imagery wasnt bad enough of an insult to the audience's intelligence, don't waste your time finding any character development or plot evolution. This is a linear one way ride into what can be best described as an exercise in boredom.
    And, no, shooting Mexicans for the same tired old reason we've all seen before, and exchanging a never ending repartee of pointless dialogue in a patrol car, does not pass for creative thinking.
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    A great tribute to cops! The film is very realistic but the wavering candid camera photography almost made one of my buddies carsick. The situations are believable and thrust the spectator into the routine rituals and the bizarre situations that cops must face in a major city. The only problem is the ending....for such a well-acted film with a graphically realistic concept, the endingA great tribute to cops! The film is very realistic but the wavering candid camera photography almost made one of my buddies carsick. The situations are believable and thrust the spectator into the routine rituals and the bizarre situations that cops must face in a major city. The only problem is the ending....for such a well-acted film with a graphically realistic concept, the ending is too melodramatic and almost unbelievable. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    I had no idea Anna Kendrick was in this movie. She is a doll with her pearly whites. I thought the movie gave us the fact that cops are human. Some truly are out there in the streets to do the right thing. This film showed us that they have families, and they struggle seeing death everyday. I enjoyed Gyllenhaal and Pena's performances. Having to keep the peace in the hood ain't easy. JustI had no idea Anna Kendrick was in this movie. She is a doll with her pearly whites. I thought the movie gave us the fact that cops are human. Some truly are out there in the streets to do the right thing. This film showed us that they have families, and they struggle seeing death everyday. I enjoyed Gyllenhaal and Pena's performances. Having to keep the peace in the hood ain't easy. Just like some soldiers never come home from deployments alive. Some cops never make it home alive from the streets. Thumbs up! Check it out if you haven't yet. Expand
  19. Oct 7, 2012
    Great movie (would have given it a 7 but took off one star for the following) but DON'T SIT CLOSE TO THE SCREEN (or rent it on DVD) if you are prone to motion sickness, like I am. Halfway through the movie, due to the way it is filmed with lots of camera panning I felt somewhat nauseous and kept hoping it would go away. However, the style of filming persists throughout the movie, soGreat movie (would have given it a 7 but took off one star for the following) but DON'T SIT CLOSE TO THE SCREEN (or rent it on DVD) if you are prone to motion sickness, like I am. Halfway through the movie, due to the way it is filmed with lots of camera panning I felt somewhat nauseous and kept hoping it would go away. However, the style of filming persists throughout the movie, so either sit far away or take some Dramamine before you go (I would recommend a half pill). It took me about a half hour after it ended before I felt okay again. Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    "End of Watch is a gritty, reckless and emotional film that, gives us the true in-depth look at inner city cops. Filled with Oscar Worthy performances. It should come as no surprise, End of Watch being one of the best cop dramas in years." B+
  21. Sep 26, 2012
    Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña are cop partners riding rough neighborhoods in LA. We get to know them mostly through their snappy banter in the patrol car, while most of the action is purportedly shot through their own cameras. We ride along as they encounter minor and major crimes, but also watch them interact with their fellow officers and their women. This camerawork andJake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña are cop partners riding rough neighborhoods in LA. We get to know them mostly through their snappy banter in the patrol car, while most of the action is purportedly shot through their own cameras. We ride along as they encounter minor and major crimes, but also watch them interact with their fellow officers and their women. This camerawork and editing have a big-budget grittiness that keeps the film rooted in reality, but doesn't get in the way. Performances are outstanding and David Ayer's directorial style has become even more sophisticated, while staying "street." A solid film with modern sensibilities. Expand
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    This a decent film, its gritty but ultimately it has an easily predictable ending. It's a good action / pseudo documentary film about 2 cops who are partners that find situation after situation of dealing with the worst criminals humanity has to offer in south central LA.
  23. Jan 28, 2013
    This movie manages to have a completely unreastic and a realistic feel at the same time. A very good cop movie. The only problem is the partners are a little too nice to each other. Like their trying to push the friendship too hard to lead to more emotion. Comes of as a little cheap.
  24. Nov 3, 2012
    I find the critic and audience score for this movie was overrated. But I must admit it's one of good movie. Tearjerking ending and captivated performance by Jake Gyllenhaal and Anna Kendrick. But I don't find it's one good example of found footage entry.
  25. Sep 23, 2012
    It is good but left me struggling to think whether to recommend it. The middle slows down a bit while the ending is solid. Be prepared for the handheld camera moves that work for awhile... then your eyes tire and you have to look away just to focus. it has many great parts to it.
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    Not since Training Day has a movie grown above the cliche'd cop storylines, and Ayer is a master of this genre. This is by far his best work, and it's a heartbreaker. Look for Gyllenhall this Oscar season.
  27. May 26, 2014
    Officers Taylor (Gyllenhaal ) and Zavala (Peña) are LA cops that respect the jib they do. When a seemingly routine traffic stop leads to the discovery of guns and money linked to a Mexican cartel the pair starts investigating, putting a target squarely on their backs.

Moving past the fact that the ‘found footage’ aspect makes little sense in this context (even the director actively ignores it at points!) the film moves along at a break neck speed whilst still finding time to explore the lead characters lives to the extent necessary that audiences can invest in the two leads. The action set pieces are also brilliantly shot meaning that, while it can stretch plausibility at times, End of Watch's almost two hour running time flies by.
  28. Sep 22, 2012
    Excellent film. Spot on performances by the main cast and secondary characters. Fresh take on the buddy cop film. More a character study of the two main subjects than focusing on the plot, which is fairly straight forward. Many of the incidents during the film don't get explained to any extent, and some characters pop into the film and then disappear without much information about themExcellent film. Spot on performances by the main cast and secondary characters. Fresh take on the buddy cop film. More a character study of the two main subjects than focusing on the plot, which is fairly straight forward. Many of the incidents during the film don't get explained to any extent, and some characters pop into the film and then disappear without much information about them The pacing is really good but the camera work is not always successful. The over use of the hand held, shaky cam reduces the film to an episode of Southland and certain times. This is film, not TV. A bit of a splatter fest at times. A must see if you're into this genre of film. Expand
  29. Sep 27, 2012
    This was a purely great film. Great performances delivered into a great story. It was thrilling, it was hilarious, and it was dramatic. The only issue i had with gthe movie was the annoyance of the switching of cameras, i wanted them to just stick to one but it kept switching but after a ways into the film i got used to it but other than that this movie was great. Im not a big fan of JakeThis was a purely great film. Great performances delivered into a great story. It was thrilling, it was hilarious, and it was dramatic. The only issue i had with gthe movie was the annoyance of the switching of cameras, i wanted them to just stick to one but it kept switching but after a ways into the film i got used to it but other than that this movie was great. Im not a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal or Michael Pena fan but they were both perfect and hilarious in this film, they're "brotherhood" was so strong which made the film so much better because of how well they blended together. If you don't like violence or alot of strong language then don't bother with End of Watch, but if not then you must see this! Its well worth your money and your time! 9.5/10 Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Nov 25, 2012
    Forceful and arresting, Ayer's follow-up to "Harsh Times" and "Street Kings" sees him confidently playing to his strengths.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 19, 2012
    It's a collection of cop-movie clichés but presented with sufficient flair and strong performances that the ride is enough, even if it's on rails.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Sep 24, 2012
    The performances here are so sharp that viewers may wish End of Watch has been shot by someone who knew how to find the right point of view for a scene and leave it there.