6.7

1. Dec 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As someone who went into the film with an open mind, not knowing what the film was about or having read the book I thought the film was not good. This film is basic a big pile of nothing due to the lack of depth, the presence of plot holes and other annoyances, this overrated adaptation is entirely forgettable. With bad dialogue, poorly written characters as well as a lack of development from then, I didn't care for the characters at all, and sadly, even a good cast couldn't save the film; Harrison Ford giving a wooden and stiff performance, surprisingly mediocre acting from Asa Butterfield, laughable acting from Ben Kingsley and other forgettable performances in the end, the only performance that is at least decent is Abigail Breslin, who is entirely underused in this film. The film is incredibly tedious and rather messy and filled with plot holes, and the make it worse there is plenty of unintentional hilarity as well as goofy and somewhat campy sci-fi elements. On the plus side of things, the visuals are certainly impressive and they work well with the film. In the end, Ender's Game is nothing but style over substance.*NOTE: Prepare for some spoilers* Due to the poorly written nature of the film, some of the more thought-provoking elements of the narrative as well as the "plot twists" remained ineffective and highly obvious throughout the entire film, especially when in the film Ender is shocked by his act of genocide when it was completely obvious for the characters and the audience the realise this prior. *NOTE: end of spoilers*. Expand
  2. Feb 2, 2014
    A tame adaptation of the classic novel, and instead lowering its impact to get the teenage crowd. However, Ender's Game has always been geared towards adults and hence the problem. Some great performances by the leads but until the last 10 minutes or so, Ender's Game lost a lot of its punch. Too bad.
  3. Feb 9, 2014
    Solid acting but over-reliance on special effects and uneven pacing definitely take away from it. Things were going rather quickly in the first hour and came to a complete stop during the second, To the point where it was from rather interesting and entertaining to dreadfully boring. They easily could have cut the film down to an hour and a half and it would have been a far better film.Solid acting but over-reliance on special effects and uneven pacing definitely take away from it. Things were going rather quickly in the first hour and came to a complete stop during the second, To the point where it was from rather interesting and entertaining to dreadfully boring. They easily could have cut the film down to an hour and a half and it would have been a far better film.

Would I recommend it? Well, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it but if someone already has it and wants to, Why not take a chance on it.
  4. Feb 12, 2014
    This is a film that looks good has solid performances, but takes itself way to serious. There is basically no humor or even a smile also the plot gets a little ridiculous. Overall it's highly forgettable. C
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    Ender's Game has an overstuffed plot and might not be as though-provoking as its source material but still provides some solid action sequences and a good script.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let me say that I think this movie is OK as a stand-alone film. The acting is done decently well by most of the cast, and I liked what they did with the limited material that they had. Asa Butterfield does a decent enough job portraying Ender's emotion and his genius. I like Hailee Steinfeld, who plays Petra, but there isn't much conflict surrounding the character. Harrison Ford is good as Colonel Graff, but that's like saying that this chocolate tastes good, of course he's good, it's Harrison Ford. The Battle Room scenes are cool effects, which helped me out, as those scenes were difficult for me to imagine while reading. The way that it deals with the morality of warfare, manipulation, genocide, and repopulation do make it smarter than your average blockbuster.

Unfortunately, the film can never be a stand alone piece as it is an adaptation of an incredibly smart sci-fi novel, and is thus held to a higher standard. This is where the movie has its many, many failures. Now I understand that a movie has to be different from a book, as it needs to tell a 300+ page story in around two hours. However, when these changes serve to undermine the meaning or the themes of the source material, I start to get angry.

First and foremost, the characters are aged up to be into their adolescence, and the time period of the movie is squashed into the span of a year. I am perfectly aware of why they did this. Child actors make it incredibly difficult to make a good movie (ask Jake Lloyd), and to go through the course of the story, at least two actors would've had to play Ender and the other characters that age over the course of a six-year story. However, the absence of the longer timeframe takes away much of the impact, as in the book Ender lives literally half of his life under the thumb of Graff and the military. This largely undermines the impact of the child soldiering conversation raised by the novel. The relationship between Ender and Bean is broken, as Bean is the same age as Ender in the film version, removing the key dynamic of the characters.

One of the key forces that defines Ender in the book is his continuing isolation, first from Valentine, then from the Launchies, then from the friends he made at Battle School. Graff says his line directly from the book about this, and successfully does this on the shuttle. However, after Ender wins his battle with Bernard (in a far less clever way, mind you), he is accepted by the battle school. After Ender is named commander, however, he never has the estrangement from his soldiers that he does in the book. They simply enjoy having Ender (who they all like and respect), as their commanding officer, without any change in his relationships. Ender never faces Petra or Alai in battle, forcing him to destroy, humiliate, and therefore alienate them. They simply both end up in Dragon Army, something Colonel Graff would never have allowed in the book. Nonetheless, Ender, Petra, Alai, and Bean are all portrayed well, which is more than can be said about one of the characters.

Bonzo de Madrid is completely miscast in this movie, which ruins almost all of the scenes in which he's involved.

The thing that I hated the most, though about this film is their stripping of the roles of Peter and Valentine. Valentine and Peter, and Demosthenes and Locke, have one of the ongoing storylines in the book. They manipulate world politics and involve themselves in an impeding war with Russian Empire. This storyline serves as a complex development to both Valentine and Peter's characters, a change in the separated siblings character as opposed to their perception of one another, a commentary on becoming who you pretend to be, a political argument about the nature of the mob, an example of bad motivation leading to a positive result, an analysis of child prodigy, a view of parental and sibling relationships and how they develop over the years, and my favorite part of the book. Naturally, the filmmakers chose that NONE of this had ANY place in a Hollywood blockbuster, and cut ALL OF IT. It also robbed us of the drama of Ender's fear of becoming Peter, as Peter is on screen for all of FIVE MINUTES, so we don't know him as the audience.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hollywood took something that was thought-provoking and clever, and made it into a marketable Hollywood blockbuster. All in all, I think it has some merit (Harrison Ford!), but fails to reach anywhere remotely near the novel's impact.
  7. Nov 10, 2013
    Worst book to movie adaptation I've ever seen. I guess if you haven't read the book you have a much better time of enjoying it, but they thoroughly butchered it that's for sure. Easily should have been a 3+ hour movie so much is rushed through terribly. And what is with all the random alterations to some scenes that added zero to the storyline? So dumb.
  8. Nov 3, 2013
    Overall, Ender's Game is too reliant on special effects to fill the gaps left by mediocre acting and plot holes. It is simply too unconvincing to be a memorable achievement in film.
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    Movie tries to be as close as possible to the book, and fails. Book is about psychology, character development, and tactics, which does not translate well to an action movie, especially if there's a lot of it. And without reading the book first, I doubt you'd understand half of what's going on there.
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    Enders Game was by no stretch a terrible film. However, it could have been made much better. All of the characters in the tim seemed a bit lifeless, including Asa Butterfield (who plays Ender), who did not seem fit for the protagonist role. Along with the poor casting decisions, the plot that made the original book so critically acclaimed was completely changed, including the entire endingEnders Game was by no stretch a terrible film. However, it could have been made much better. All of the characters in the tim seemed a bit lifeless, including Asa Butterfield (who plays Ender), who did not seem fit for the protagonist role. Along with the poor casting decisions, the plot that made the original book so critically acclaimed was completely changed, including the entire ending of the film! That did not make me happy at all.
    While there are many things wrong with this film, the one thing that they got right were the SFX, which were bright and engaging.
    In the end, this movie could have been made much better if it were not for the poor casting choices and different plot.
  11. Nov 14, 2013
    this movie adaptation is to awkward to watch really lead actor has no charisma to be a leader The weird shower scene is reminiscent of prison rape. the aliens though not the main focus of the story could have been focused on more. Ender's brother and sister have no story and in the book they were main characters to.
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    I has excited to see this movie, and I got to say it did come close to my expectations. The only thing though is that the movie missed out on lots of important things that made the book good. Other than that, I loved it.
  13. Nov 9, 2013
    Initially, I set the bar pretty low assuming this was adapted as children's film and I'm glad I was surprised. The film had a a great VFX Supervisor but not a great director. Despite the fact that most will watch this film because Harrison Ford's in it (and this role really suits him great), the lead actor had no screen presence nor any charisma whatsoever. Rule #1 in casting: the audienceInitially, I set the bar pretty low assuming this was adapted as children's film and I'm glad I was surprised. The film had a a great VFX Supervisor but not a great director. Despite the fact that most will watch this film because Harrison Ford's in it (and this role really suits him great), the lead actor had no screen presence nor any charisma whatsoever. Rule #1 in casting: the audience must always be engaged and captivated by your lead actor. Asa Butterfield was nowhere close to that, although he acted well enough...Director Gavin Wood and the producers' team should be the ones to blame here since they repeated the same one-dimensional plot with most sci-fi films and lacked an original presentation and connection. Overall though, this is an amazing spectacle to watch, but nothing more... Expand
  14. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the book and of course knew the movie would be drastically different. However, in my humble opinion, they missed a lot of what made the book great. Character development for Peter and Valentine and their relationship with Ender was very light and those characters are crucial to understanding why Ender is perfect. The personas that Peter and Valentine take on in the online world were not even touched on. The plot felt rushed. The dynamics of the world were not well established... I feel like if you didn't read the book, you would be COMPLETELY lost.

Which takes me to my next point... it seemed like they were trying to please both a core and mass audience and in doing so, achieved neither.

With my griping out of the way, the movie did have its merits. Absolutely visually stunning space looks beautiful. Ender and Graff were well portrayed. The action scenes were great. And the battles at Battle School, which were tough for me to visualize while reading, were executed very well.

All that together makes for a pretty average movie. Nothing to look twice at, but maybe worth seeing if you read the book.
  15. Nov 10, 2013
    For any film fanatic that also happens to be an Orson Scott Card fan, Ender’s Game was the type of film that warranted the hanging of a calendar on the wall and blacking out the days until the film's November 1st release date. I was this excited for months about the film, and yes, I saw it opening night. But after having seen it, I say with dismay that although the admission may not haveFor any film fanatic that also happens to be an Orson Scott Card fan, Ender’s Game was the type of film that warranted the hanging of a calendar on the wall and blacking out the days until the film's November 1st release date. I was this excited for months about the film, and yes, I saw it opening night. But after having seen it, I say with dismay that although the admission may not have been a total waste of money, it may have been better spent on a few drinks at a bar, or on a Shake Shack dinner (for the non- drinkers). I was just so unexpectedly un-enthralled that I’m still in shock.

The film opens with Ender Wiggin as his parent’s third child in a world where thirds are not highly regarded, yet a prestigious military school’s administrators monitor Ender’s life via hidden cameras, and through this observation witness the potential genius within Ender. But whatever they notice, it is not shown to the audience.

Nonetheless Ender leaves his family behind to study at this elite training school where plans are secretly being made; Ender will train to become the next great commander of the Earth fleet. While at battle school Ender meets the legendary Mazer Rackham, a famous Maori warrior whom singlehandedly defeated the aliens previously, when they attacked Earth. Rackham’s job now is to mentor Ender, to prepare him for the greatest battle of his life.

Director Hood’s rendition of Ender’s Game does just adequate justice to the original plot of the book. I pined for a grittier, R-rated Prometheus or District 9-ish kind of rendition, and instead I got something related more to Will Smith’s Independence Day.

There were no gaps left in the timeline of the film, gaps necessary to explain how Ender could possibly have become a fleet commander at all. As Director Hood portrays it, the audience sees Ender go from cadet to commander overnight, almost literally. No human past, present, or future, (not even Ender) could pull that off.

Blasé scenes are followed by descriptions of grandeur that made me wonder if I had just watched the same scene as the military commanders. In front of a group of new recruits Ender is praised by Officer Graff (Harrison Ford) for his intelligence, a set-up for later peer torment? But the intelligence Ender shows here is hardly praiseworthy. It’s just a smart-alecky remark about zero gravity. Later, when Ender is confronted by a gang of boys, whom he ends up defeating, the fight is not convincing, yet again, administrators swoon. This type of device, apathetic scene followed by glorious praise occurs over and over throughout the film. Descriptions of awe are purveyed when no actual awe has taken place.

Asa Butterfield's unmoving performance is largely responsible for the film’s failure. He is not a convincing Ender, and so all his examples of greatness seem staged. Every time Ender does something “miraculous” and is praised for it, it’s reminiscent of the medieval age; a king’s steward dolloping out praise at every instance to keep his majesty satisfied. Harrison Ford is also pretty terrible. Come to think of it, pretty much all the acting, except Ben Kinglsey’s is bad.

Errata: Ender spends significant amounts of time whining about the administration blocking his email account. What does this have to do with the plot? Nothing. Since when do starships send and receive email? They don’t. There’s ansible technology in this world people! (machines capable of instantaneous or superluminal communication) Starships are way past “email.”

Overall, I’d say Ender’s Game was only kind of bad, but it so totally not awesome.

PS- I love that some people have rated this film as a zero. That is awesome!
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    I think Ender's Game should've been releasing next year, but since the movie already released it misses the target. I felt that the story is far short (although I love Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield's performance) and just like any YA-wannabe novels like Eragon or The Golden Compass, they don't have a single amount of audience that you want in a entertaining but flawed sci-fi movie. II think Ender's Game should've been releasing next year, but since the movie already released it misses the target. I felt that the story is far short (although I love Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield's performance) and just like any YA-wannabe novels like Eragon or The Golden Compass, they don't have a single amount of audience that you want in a entertaining but flawed sci-fi movie. I don't know why Ender's Game was going to be released November because The Hunger Games: Catching Fire just released on the same month and by the way, Catching Fire breaks box office records, Ender's, however, not so much. I'm afraid there's no other choice than to cancel a sequel to some thought that Ender's Game could be a bigger hit. But then again, I think they must think about their mistakes in the first film. There's no future in Ender's Game and it's another big disappointment of 2013. Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2013
    Ender’s Game vacillates between grand, sweeping space vistas and tight, penetrating close ups, mostly on Butterfield’s steely gaze. If you’re into meticulously rendered computer generated space, well then, a good 60% of Ender’s Game is for you. And if you’re by chance also into moral grey areas concerning the mental manipulation of children in war, then a minute percentage of screen timeEnder’s Game vacillates between grand, sweeping space vistas and tight, penetrating close ups, mostly on Butterfield’s steely gaze. If you’re into meticulously rendered computer generated space, well then, a good 60% of Ender’s Game is for you. And if you’re by chance also into moral grey areas concerning the mental manipulation of children in war, then a minute percentage of screen time will work for you as well. But in the end, the film struggles to condense too much material into a two-hour run time. The book spanned six years, while the film packs all that into just about one year. With that much emotional ground to cover and a plot punctuated by long, computer-generated battle sequences, the story suffers from a lack of a sense of urgency and some seemingly forced character growth. Not even Sir Ben Kingsley as the legendary General Mazer Rackham could lend enough gravity to a story that very nearly gets lost in space. Expand
  18. Nov 1, 2013
    Weak attempt to be Sci-Fi Harry Potter... The book has a loyal following but the film fails to really engage. Trying to cram everything into 120 minutes and make you care just doesn't work.
  19. Nov 5, 2013
    The earth is threatened by an alien race and it's determined that young Earthlings are the best trainees for combat. Enter Ender, a unflinchingly serious boy, who rises thru the ranks. This movie takes place during the military training with much of the time spent as Ender endures bullies, outsmarts everyone and questions authority (especially a stern Harrison Ford). The futuristic look isThe earth is threatened by an alien race and it's determined that young Earthlings are the best trainees for combat. Enter Ender, a unflinchingly serious boy, who rises thru the ranks. This movie takes place during the military training with much of the time spent as Ender endures bullies, outsmarts everyone and questions authority (especially a stern Harrison Ford). The futuristic look is stainless-steel shiny and the effects are decent if unoriginal. Ironically, the fight sequences look like video games, but it's much more about drama than action. There are some non-traditional aspects that make it interesting, but it's not an exciting alien adventure. Expand
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    I thought the movie was Good, not great.

Asa Butterfield was surprisingly disappointing. I felt that there were times where he over acted. Haille Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin were both wasted. Not much character development.

But if you like the books, you'll like the movie. I just wish it was a little tighter as a story.
  21. Nov 12, 2013
    I did not read the book, so I cannot comment on the comparison. I went into the film not knowing anything about the story. I thought the movie was compelling visually, but was unoriginal in the story which was too predictable. I'm also looking forward to the day that Hollywood stops creating alien beings that look like gigantic bugs. I also found the soundtrack annoying with the music thatI did not read the book, so I cannot comment on the comparison. I went into the film not knowing anything about the story. I thought the movie was compelling visually, but was unoriginal in the story which was too predictable. I'm also looking forward to the day that Hollywood stops creating alien beings that look like gigantic bugs. I also found the soundtrack annoying with the music that is constantly going on at all times. The acting was fine across the board, but the script needed beefing up so that I cared more about the characters. Expand
  22. Nov 5, 2013
    Great special effects. Decent, Unfortunately story filled with lack of sense....read the book. Has some good moments but too many nonsensical as well....
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    It is important for anyone that has read the book to understand that a lot of things have obviously been changed. As I was watching the movie I was flustered by how fast the storyline moved, spending a maximum of fifteen minutes on a section of the book that took 4 or 5 chapters normally. Certain major aspects of the book were changed such as the Demosthenes and Locke saga, and completelyIt is important for anyone that has read the book to understand that a lot of things have obviously been changed. As I was watching the movie I was flustered by how fast the storyline moved, spending a maximum of fifteen minutes on a section of the book that took 4 or 5 chapters normally. Certain major aspects of the book were changed such as the Demosthenes and Locke saga, and completely disregarding Beans brilliance.
    For anyone who has not read the book, you might as well not see it unless you are a huge fan of sci-fi and would appreciate the fictional scientific developments that have previously not been seen in a sci-fi movie to this date. The acting was mediocre at best. The special effects were amazing. The cast was... Interesting. Overall, if your looking for a GOOD sci-fi movie to watch I recommend, Star Trek 1 or 2 or even renting an old Starwars movie!
  24. Jan 14, 2014
    Without much in the way of strong character development most of the movie seems to just hand on it's flashy visuals. The story is not compelling mainly because it is simply too much to ask for an audience to connect with a very bland main character. The movie tries its hardest to make you want to root for him as if he is some kind of underdog but at the same time constantly points outWithout much in the way of strong character development most of the movie seems to just hand on it's flashy visuals. The story is not compelling mainly because it is simply too much to ask for an audience to connect with a very bland main character. The movie tries its hardest to make you want to root for him as if he is some kind of underdog but at the same time constantly points out that he is pretty much already the "Chosen One".
    In the end we are left with some great CG Special effects, a performance from Harrison Ford that borders on menacing, and a kind of cameo from Sir Ben Kingsley. No discredit to Asa Butterfield, but Ender just was not memorable which is sad for a movie titled after the main character.
  25. Dec 5, 2013
    I don't want to give the wrong impression by rating it a 6. It's not a bad movie. It looks great, it sounds great (I saw it in IMAX 3D) but the feel is all wrong. The book really draws you in and makes you feel for this kid and I think the movie misses on that front. Interested to see where they take the series or if this was just a one off.
  26. Jan 23, 2014
    I never heard about this story before I watched the movie, so my review should be objective. As a sci-fi fan I quite enjoyed Ender's Game, athough I was severely disappointed with how the movie ends. The acting was alright, the setting and CG was good. There were some unique ideas included in the design.
    The main flaw of the movie is a really weak plot and too many unanswered questions and too many kids on the set. If you are into sci-fi movies, this is a definitely watchable and you should enjoy it. If you are not a sci-fi fan however, the movie will seem an idiotic cosmic flick with giant insects.
  27. Mar 15, 2014
    Ender’s Game is one of those movies that is going to divide people and that division is going to be primarily based on whether or not you have read the book. People who have not read the book will either like the movie or just think its ok because a lot of the issues I have with the film come from reading the book. If you have read the book you will not be too keen on the film and in someEnder’s Game is one of those movies that is going to divide people and that division is going to be primarily based on whether or not you have read the book. People who have not read the book will either like the movie or just think its ok because a lot of the issues I have with the film come from reading the book. If you have read the book you will not be too keen on the film and in some cases hate it. A lot of my issues with the film are issues I have with all film adaptations of books. You cannot have everything from the book in the film and as a result a lot of moments are skipped through that give the story a depth creating a rather shallow film. While that stuff does bothers me it is a necessary annoyance of film adaptations of books or else the film will go on too long and be boring. The main issue I have with the film is that there a couple of characters that aren’t represented well, such as Ender and Graff and their relationship, and various points from the book aren’t emphasized well enough, such as Ender’s miserable life, and the ending. While this is isn’t the worst adaptation of a book I’ve ever seen its not the best either. Issues always come when transitioning books to film so no matter what it will let me down but a couple of changes really got to me and those who read the book. The film is alright but nothing spectacular as a lot of the changes make the film feel shallow and rushed. If you haven’t read the book do that is it has a lot more depth. Check the film out of if you want as it is somewhat entertaining although fans of the book should lower their expectations or they’ll be a tad disappointed. Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2014
    As a person who never read a Ender's game book, this movie looks and feels mediocre. Nothing special and very shallow. That Ender kid is so annoying, i just wanted to punch him in the face.
    Could have been better.
  29. Feb 21, 2015
    Ender's Game is a throwaway slice of sci-fi fluff that entertains throughout it's run time but no more. The training and flight academy sequences are fun but you can't help but wish that the characters were fleshed out a little more.
  30. Aug 11, 2014
    A big fan of the book, I felt this film was merely serviceable. Acting was ok, though I felt Harrison Ford was somewhat wasted in his room. I would have preferred it is he'd been playing Mazer Rackham. The space battle scenes were confusing and there wasn't enough of them.
  31. Nov 26, 2014
    There are some definite positives and negatives with this one. On the positive side, as somebody who actually read the book, I really loved seeing all of the stuff from the book being portrayed. It all looked exactly like I imagined it and to see all of the features come to life was incredibly cool. The action sequences were also brilliantly filmed, thanks to the phenomenal special effectsThere are some definite positives and negatives with this one. On the positive side, as somebody who actually read the book, I really loved seeing all of the stuff from the book being portrayed. It all looked exactly like I imagined it and to see all of the features come to life was incredibly cool. The action sequences were also brilliantly filmed, thanks to the phenomenal special effects prevalent in everything they did. The film certainly had a really cool look and the special effects were top-notch. Above all, the film was just as exciting as the book. Sure, you could say it was just kids playing video games, but then you would miss all the moral questions about war and what they were doing with these kids. It was all more than just a game. On the negative, while I enjoyed that they tried to work in everything from the book, it all kind of felt like a tl;dr version of the book. The movie was also as if they just skimmed the book and included all the highlights, which I felt cheapened the project. I would have preferred them to either make the movie longer or cut some stuff out entirely and spend more time with other stuff, which would help slow down the pace of the film (which was a problem) and add more depth in certain areas, rather than brief snapshots of a lot of things. Finally, the acting was laughably bad at times. As a whole, it was not terrible, but as is the territory with younger actors, there were some definite stumbles at times, though none of the adults were fantastic either. As a whole, the acting was mediocre, which was unexpected.

Overall, Ender's Game is a fine adaptation of the book of the same name, but certainly is not as good as the book, though it does not fail to entertain at all. Though there likely will not be a sequel, I would still love there to be one.
  32. Oct 11, 2014
    I was kind of disappointed in this movie, but it makes you think about how the government would lie to us about the Aliens intentions. This is about the only reason I give it a high rating.The final battle feels empty.I can`t say theirs much about Ender's Game that makes it memorable unless you like Harrison Ford taking the back role to some kid.
  33. Jun 3, 2014
    I'm giving it a 4 because while the special effects were brilliant, they screwed the story up way too much. They didn't develop the characters properly. They missed out too many chunks from the book that were vital to the story making sense, including MOST of Enders battles at battle school. They also changed things from the story. Like the Hunger Games movies, they dulled the story downI'm giving it a 4 because while the special effects were brilliant, they screwed the story up way too much. They didn't develop the characters properly. They missed out too many chunks from the book that were vital to the story making sense, including MOST of Enders battles at battle school. They also changed things from the story. Like the Hunger Games movies, they dulled the story down to cash in on the teenage audience and made the constant tension that was in the book almost non-existent. None of the cast really matched their roles very well, including seasoned actors, Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley, who, while absolutely brilliant actors, weren't really the right choices for their roles. The only right choice seemed to be Abigail Breslin for Valentine. They also missed out a HUGE chunk of the story with Peter and Valentine's characters Locke and Demosthenes. Expand
  34. Feb 17, 2014
    Unrealistic. Many roles are miscast with people that you could never possible imagine, in real life, would be capable of defending earth against a horde of alien invaders. It feels more like a Disney Movie at times, and tries to hard to be "feel good" at the expensive of putting forth a moral thesis.
  35. Feb 2, 2014
    I suppose “Ender’s Game” could have been a decent, average adaptation of a book that was written by a complete lunatic; however, the film was just an emotionless, joyless and thrill-less rollercoaster ride that had no real ups or downs. While the special effects look incredible, the film feels like that was the only important part of the film as every scene that should be about theI suppose “Ender’s Game” could have been a decent, average adaptation of a book that was written by a complete lunatic; however, the film was just an emotionless, joyless and thrill-less rollercoaster ride that had no real ups or downs. While the special effects look incredible, the film feels like that was the only important part of the film as every scene that should be about the characters plays out like the really cool looking CG effects are the real star. Even the great performances and themes of the film feel like they play second fiddle to a movie that was more about the special effects. In the end, “Ender’s Game” was just boring and lacked any real spark. Expand
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    Another movie which sort of pales in comparison to its book. Well, its decent, but for a movie like this I expected more character development... Ender, for example, seems to near perfect right from the start, and does not seem to develop much, kind of like characters from the first Star Wars movie. He also suffers very few setbacks which protagonists usually do. It's just...not quite right...
  37. Feb 7, 2014
    La primera impresión en las primeras secuencias de Ender's Game me parecieron atractivas e interesantes sobre todo cuando hablan de personas que no tienen nada en especial, pero que más adelante terminarán salvando al mundo, pero luego Ender's Game vuelve a tender una temática dramática en exceso y con actuaciones que no asombran demasiado (a excepción de Asa Butterfield). También cabeLa primera impresión en las primeras secuencias de Ender's Game me parecieron atractivas e interesantes sobre todo cuando hablan de personas que no tienen nada en especial, pero que más adelante terminarán salvando al mundo, pero luego Ender's Game vuelve a tender una temática dramática en exceso y con actuaciones que no asombran demasiado (a excepción de Asa Butterfield). También cabe mencionar que se hizo muy larga, pero en las partes finales puede resultar entretenida. En conclusión, nada especialmente bueno, solo es ese tipo de películas que te entretiene por unos minutos para después poder regresar a casa para la cena. Expand
  38. Dec 16, 2013
    Since the books were horrible to begin with, it is probably best that the movies includes almost nothing at all from them. Once again, you get what you expect with this movie. CGI, Bad acting, and nothing new under the sun. Im afraid I have to give it points for CGI. But at what point are we going to stop giving movies a free pass just because some visual effects company got paid 20Since the books were horrible to begin with, it is probably best that the movies includes almost nothing at all from them. Once again, you get what you expect with this movie. CGI, Bad acting, and nothing new under the sun. Im afraid I have to give it points for CGI. But at what point are we going to stop giving movies a free pass just because some visual effects company got paid 20 billion dollars to make realistic looking graphics. Scifi effects are not the only thing that scifi fans want in a movie. We have reached a point in public consciousness of moviegoing, that we do not want to be treated like infants that need to be distracted with a bright, shiny, red balloon. We need a bit more substance people. Expand
  39. Jan 10, 2014
    The plot was so difficult to understand! I could only get about 25% of the plot before it ended, and the voice acting is a bit choppy. It is overall bland and confusing. Special effects aren't bad but rather overused. Lacks a lot of major scenes, such as (blocked) and (blocked). It is generally a bit mediocre, and with the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other good novel adaptations, it'sThe plot was so difficult to understand! I could only get about 25% of the plot before it ended, and the voice acting is a bit choppy. It is overall bland and confusing. Special effects aren't bad but rather overused. Lacks a lot of major scenes, such as (blocked) and (blocked). It is generally a bit mediocre, and with the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other good novel adaptations, it's generally gonna be overlooked. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2014
    I had high hopes for this movie, Ender's Game was one of my favourite books when I was younger. The movie was a failure in capturing the flavour of the book and wasn't even especially entertaining in it's own right. To anyone who hasn't read the book I would expect them to be confused and not even understand why some elements of the movie existed.
  41. Feb 3, 2014
    In the year 2086 alien species called Formics attack the Earth. Commander Mazer Rackham sacrifices himself to save the planet. 50 years past without any sign of alien form of life on our planet but humans are still getting ready for future battles, that might come any moment. The only weapon they have (except than machine that cost 7 billion USD) are genius kids - specially trained highlyIn the year 2086 alien species called Formics attack the Earth. Commander Mazer Rackham sacrifices himself to save the planet. 50 years past without any sign of alien form of life on our planet but humans are still getting ready for future battles, that might come any moment. The only weapon they have (except than machine that cost 7 billion USD) are genius kids - specially trained highly intelligent people. Most outstanding of them is Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) - a 15 years old boy with brilliant military tactics. He and another dozens of youngsters were permanently instructed and prepared on International Fleet's base in the space. However, they were never taught to be friends with each other, because only one of them would be "the chosen one" to lead the rest. If you look at Ender, he is an absolute outsider - a tiny, feeble, shy boy who sometimes turns out to be the biggest geek. But here comes a "surprising" plot twist that he has to defeat enemy that killed thousands of brave soldiers (no, seriously, this is not a plot twist, at all).

So, the movie basically evolves around him. And we're having quite long and peaceful voyage with Wiggin from very beginning to the end. At first I though of seeing massive battle scenes, with brilliant CGI, a lot fire and blood, but instead we have quite logical and predictable story of a confused kid who was foisted real guns. Watching a fantasy movie, I was not surprised how awesome and unreal Ender's character was. I liked how steadily and permanently he evolved on the screen, how he turned from a simple boy into a complex person. Asa Butterfield delivered very confident and emotional performance, even surprisingly better than I expected. He was great in Hugo, but here, having more character resources, he did exceptionally better. Wiggin is a little boy and a grown man the same time, who has self-reliance of elders and sensitivity of younger. All these was convincingly expressed in every emotion or movement of Asa.

The rest of cast is quite good, including Oscar nominees Viola Davis, Hailee Steinfeld & Harrison Ford, and Academy Award winner Sir Ben Kingsley. They all do their best to make a average story look more interesting.

Lacking massive attack scenes, it is hard to be surprised with visual effects. Only last 20 minutes bring enough action to see how well CGI and different techniques were used. But I still think there is nothing new even here, especially compared to Gravity, Star Trek into Darkness and The Hobbit this year.

Here is what I found to be the biggest problem. Ender's Game is not either kids movie or adults movie. It's somehow in the middle having few battle scenes for big people and few computer games scene for kiddos. Mixing these things does not fully worked with me. Personally, I'd love to see more action here. If Gavin Hood as a director could decide for whom he's making a film, I'd be more pleased.

Novel, on which film is based, has a sequel. I hope they'll make a sequel to motion picture too, but I want it to be more breathtaking and involving. Something like Star Trek into Darkness has done to me this year.
  42. Sep 26, 2014
    this is one of the films which is not fun at all totally boring but graphics are good though in space. I was watching tv at home flipping through channels then i saw the middle of the movie well last 5 or 10 minutes of it. Wrost film of 2013 %$#$%^&* total bull **** this movie is. Are they seriously gonna make Ender's game 2 ? . Grade ?????????
  43. May 15, 2014
    The plot is very solid, the screenplay is not very smart and fluid, and I still find troubles with kids acting, but there's something so interesting about the movie that makes you keep on watching, it is a catching story about alien invasions, with a different moral than all the other movies about the same topic.
  44. Mar 17, 2014
    To start off, this review is not for those who are fans of the the book, but for people who haven't read it. Enders Game, in a world where kids are trained to become part of the military, one boy, "Ender" (what kind of name is that) shows, 'promise' so he is chosen to be trained to become a commander. With a cast that it has, what can go wrong? Well first i will say, i enjoyed it; it isTo start off, this review is not for those who are fans of the the book, but for people who haven't read it. Enders Game, in a world where kids are trained to become part of the military, one boy, "Ender" (what kind of name is that) shows, 'promise' so he is chosen to be trained to become a commander. With a cast that it has, what can go wrong? Well first i will say, i enjoyed it; it is one of those movies that you watch once and then you would probably re-watch it a year or two later because what happens will just shock you to the point that you don't understand what the story did. There is very little sympathy with the character, because it is hard to connect to the characters themselves. Sure enough Ender is represented as the typical high school smart kid who gets bullied because of his smarts, yet has anger issues whenever he gets picked on. Entertaining, i can say that would describe this featurette, just like any other Harrison Ford movies, entertainment, cheesy one liners, serious periods that take just a few minutes to get over, and a child to exceed his expectations (just like Shia Lebouf from the latest Indiana Jones movie).

When rating this i will not be going by the book, but the film itself as a stand alone.

Ratings:

Music: B
    Acting: C+
    Cinematography: B+ (lake scene is nice)
    CGI: A- (very interactive)
    Narrative: Start, and middle B, near the end C+, end B-

Positives + entertaining, make sure you have good speakers, a monitor is also enough to watch it. The CGI is very interactive, pay attention to the games that are played within the movie.

Negative - the narrative is too straight forward, and the shock will just make you annoyed. Acting is alright, but sometimes it is just like every other war story just mixed with kids, which is just like the representation of the playground. Just without ships, bombs, and zero gravity.
  45. Mar 23, 2014
    It's a bit like putting my youngest child in Heathrow Airport's Flight Control tower and just letting him get on with it. I'm sorry, really I am, but I simply cannot buy into an annoyingly precocious child being responsible for the safety of all mankind, with the power of all of humanity's armed forces at his disposal. I don't care how much training (not much, evidently) he is purported toIt's a bit like putting my youngest child in Heathrow Airport's Flight Control tower and just letting him get on with it. I'm sorry, really I am, but I simply cannot buy into an annoyingly precocious child being responsible for the safety of all mankind, with the power of all of humanity's armed forces at his disposal. I don't care how much training (not much, evidently) he is purported to have had or whether or not he has been bred and nurtured for this very purpose. I am not eleven.

Adapted from the book (not read it, sorry, nor am I going to) this tale of one child's training as a future Admiral in the next Starship Troopers sequel (oh alright, I take that back) has had its own set of problems, development-wise, judging by just how long it took to reach us. Pitched as a sci-fi with eye candy, exploring more than the average number of themes for this type of thing, our hero, Ender Wiggins (Asa Butterfield) takes destiny and apparent fate by the scruff of the neck and goes about trying to save us all from the evil Formics, a race of bug-type aliens that previously tried to colonise earth some fifty years earlier, ultimately failing, but killing tens of millions in the attempt. Ever since, plans have been afoot to take this war to the enemy planet and do away with them once and for all. And the best people to tactically outsmart the foe on this possible final day of freedom are apparently young children with no actual experience of warmongering whatsoever. So, a global blockbuster epic of galactic proportions. And with it, a hefty $110 million in the making.

Perhaps it's because I never read the book(s), but I didn't know or care who any of these people were. The film takes alot for granted with regard to its audience, assuming that we have a clue what the hell is going on in the lives of everyone involved, what their motivations are and what, if any, relevance they have to events taking place. Such hefty production expenses would usually have to ensure that the film reached as many people as possible, but it really didn't feel like the previously uninitiated were being considered, which is unfortunate, given that this would have comprised most the paying members of the audience.

Add to this the incredulity that those very same audience members will have felt by having this young man in charge of their very existence and just how likely, even in magical Hollywoodland, that would actually be. I can swallow quite a bit, but even this seemed more far-fatched than the clearly questionable premise was to begin with.

Now I don't want to come across as a bully, but Asa Butterfield really doesn't have the gravitas to pull off a tactical master of the universe. For a start, he looks like he's about twelve, he has no charisma to speak of that would garner any kind of respect, especially from other children, who are, without doubt, the most difficult of demographics to get any kind of common-sense, consideration and deliberation out of. Even more so with teenagers. His direction may have been to play Ender as understated and thoughtful, but these qualities are not enough to make this character believable. Age is not on his side here, and what he lacks in years, he must therefore make up for in other areas. Sadly, this was not the case.

Perhaps there are elements of Ender that we (them that didn't read the book) are not aware of. Again, we return to the problem of the characters not being fleshed out well enough for the more clueless in the audience (ie, me) to appreciate. I just don't know. I didn't read the book, so I don't know. What I do know is that I felt like I must be missing something fairly relevant to a plot that I was largely unaparty to.

The performances from the grown-ups on show were all pretty good, though none were outstanding. Harrison Ford, Viola Davis and Ben Kingsley all supported the fledging war-maker suitably, although most of the time, they appeared to be just as reticent as me to believe this mere slip of a boy could muster enough respect to command a trip to the shops, far less potential genocide of an entire alien race.

Looked pretty but lacked a cohesive narrative that the newcomer to the stories could follow and was sorely lacking with the choice of Butterfield as the lead. Not to be too harsh on him, but the finger of blame should probably go to the casting department in this regard, for choosing an actor that already had a serious handicap in this area, through no real fault of his own.

This will come and go and you probably won't notice.
  46. Nov 10, 2014
  47. Apr 30, 2015
    Ender's game is directed by Gavin Hood and stars Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, and Ben Kingsley. This movie is based on the book, Ender's Game. The plot involves a young boy named Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) who is asked to participate in a Battle School to train him for the real enemies, which are called the Buggers. I personally disliked this film because of it's awful fast-pacingEnder's game is directed by Gavin Hood and stars Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, and Ben Kingsley. This movie is based on the book, Ender's Game. The plot involves a young boy named Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) who is asked to participate in a Battle School to train him for the real enemies, which are called the Buggers. I personally disliked this film because of it's awful fast-pacing and it's sub-par acting, and the fact that the ending did not make any sense what-so-ever. I am the kind of person who looks deeper into the logic of movies, so if you are the kind of person who can shut their brain off and watch a movie, then you will probably enjoy Ender's Game. By itself, Enders game is an "eh" movie but as a movie adaptation to a book it is just horrible. 4/10 Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 2, 2013
    I can understand wanting to skip Ender’s Game as a matter of moral principle, but you can also feel free to blow it off just because it’s not that good.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 2, 2013
    Ender’s Game is a blandly sanitized spectacle.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Nov 2, 2013
    Straightforward, a bit literal-minded, very faithful to the book and largely compelling.