6.7

1. Nov 26, 2014
    There are some definite positives and negatives with this one. On the positive side, as somebody who actually read the book, I really loved seeing all of the stuff from the book being portrayed. It all looked exactly like I imagined it and to see all of the features come to life was incredibly cool. The action sequences were also brilliantly filmed, thanks to the phenomenal special effectsThere are some definite positives and negatives with this one. On the positive side, as somebody who actually read the book, I really loved seeing all of the stuff from the book being portrayed. It all looked exactly like I imagined it and to see all of the features come to life was incredibly cool. The action sequences were also brilliantly filmed, thanks to the phenomenal special effects prevalent in everything they did. The film certainly had a really cool look and the special effects were top-notch. Above all, the film was just as exciting as the book. Sure, you could say it was just kids playing video games, but then you would miss all the moral questions about war and what they were doing with these kids. It was all more than just a game. On the negative, while I enjoyed that they tried to work in everything from the book, it all kind of felt like a tl;dr version of the book. The movie was also as if they just skimmed the book and included all the highlights, which I felt cheapened the project. I would have preferred them to either make the movie longer or cut some stuff out entirely and spend more time with other stuff, which would help slow down the pace of the film (which was a problem) and add more depth in certain areas, rather than brief snapshots of a lot of things. Finally, the acting was laughably bad at times. As a whole, it was not terrible, but as is the territory with younger actors, there were some definite stumbles at times, though none of the adults were fantastic either. As a whole, the acting was mediocre, which was unexpected.

Overall, Ender's Game is a fine adaptation of the book of the same name, but certainly is not as good as the book, though it does not fail to entertain at all. Though there likely will not be a sequel, I would still love there to be one.
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    Ender's Game es una película que contiene unos muy impactantes efectos visuales y que logra convencer.

Equipada además con varios actores que ganaron o estuvieron nominados al Óscar, el film nos muestra una trama con un muy buen desarrollo que va aumentando y volviéndose más interesante a medida del avance del largometraje. Además logra dar al público un gran espectáculo en el

Además logra dar al público un gran espectáculo en el espacio de una forma muy constituyente y alucinante.
  3. Nov 10, 2014
    Ender's Game has an overstuffed plot and might not be as though-provoking as its source material but still provides some solid action sequences and a good script.
  4. Oct 11, 2014
    I was kind of disappointed in this movie, but it makes you think about how the government would lie to us about the Aliens intentions. This is about the only reason I give it a high rating.The final battle feels empty.I can`t say theirs much about Ender's Game that makes it memorable unless you like Harrison Ford taking the back role to some kid.
  5. Sep 27, 2014
    Excellent movie. Hope to see sequels. Do not understand the negative reviews. It's an adventure movie, not a philosophical treatise. What's not to like?
  6. Sep 26, 2014
    this is one of the films which is not fun at all totally boring but graphics are good though in space. I was watching tv at home flipping through channels then i saw the middle of the movie well last 5 or 10 minutes of it. Wrost film of 2013 %$#$%^&* total bull **** this movie is. Are they seriously gonna make Ender's game 2 ? . Grade ?????????
  7. Aug 20, 2014
    The pros:
    The most important plots and twists were respected, the acting felt real, CGI were convincing.
    The cons: You really have to know the story well to follow what happens on the screen without being lost or feeling some piece of the story's missing, like how is it that everyone respects Ender after a simple fight. All in all, they did a great job pushing all this into a less
    The pros:

The cons:

All in all, they did a great job pushing all this into a less than 2 hours long movie.
  8. Aug 11, 2014
    A big fan of the book, I felt this film was merely serviceable. Acting was ok, though I felt Harrison Ford was somewhat wasted in his room. I would have preferred it is he'd been playing Mazer Rackham. The space battle scenes were confusing and there wasn't enough of them.
  9. Jul 20, 2014
    this is a fine movie btw, but im getting a little tired of ender as a person. and i hate that the movie tries to be funny sometimes, but its not. its ok
  10. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Ender's Game was pretty good. Acting was a little (just a little) corny, but most of the actors in this film are under the age of 20, so it's hard for them because they're just beginning their career, so I cut them some slack, and that made me give the movie a 9.
  11. Jul 17, 2014
    Ender's Game is another pathetic attempt to cash in on young adult books. The acting was horribly embarrassing, the script is inept, and the visuals were a mess. The overall story was just outright stupid.
  12. Jul 16, 2014
    On a technical level, Ender's Game does everything wrong. Gives no background, no setting, no plot, and no meaning and basically no acting. The movie is a total disaster from beginning to end and gets worse the further you get into the movie.
  13. Jul 12, 2014
    Actually read the book the first movie is based on like years ago. Damn this movie adaptation sucks big time. No this not a over sensitive fanboy **** I read Lord of the Rings and I thought they did a competent adaptation of that series. This film craps on the memory of the awesome literary experience that is Enders game. Only Han Solo was memorable in the movie even Gandhi was a littleActually read the book the first movie is based on like years ago. Damn this movie adaptation sucks big time. No this not a over sensitive fanboy **** I read Lord of the Rings and I thought they did a competent adaptation of that series. This film craps on the memory of the awesome literary experience that is Enders game. Only Han Solo was memorable in the movie even Gandhi was a little off in his performance and hes normally really great in anything, even crap like this. Expand
  14. Jun 10, 2014
    Dull, uninspiring and poorly acted are some of the words that come to mind after seeing Ender's Game. I skipped through the last 50 minutes or so to get to the highlights as this movie just drones on and on forever without really going any where. Great CGI, though. Absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, unlike Pacific Rim, it doesn't make up for the rest of the movie. Child actors areDull, uninspiring and poorly acted are some of the words that come to mind after seeing Ender's Game. I skipped through the last 50 minutes or so to get to the highlights as this movie just drones on and on forever without really going any where. Great CGI, though. Absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, unlike Pacific Rim, it doesn't make up for the rest of the movie. Child actors are dangerous ground, they're often annoying or simply unbelievable and unfortunately, that is exactly what happened to Elder's Game. The kids are annoying and they're unbelievable. However, the latter is also down to the poor writing.

I learnt, while surfing IMDB out of boredom while awtching, that the movie is based on a book (which I have never read) and that there are several irregularities. For example, the character "Bonzo" is supposed to be much taller than Ender yet he is much smaller than Ender in the movie. It's one of those discrepancies that make me believe the book makes a lot more sense than the movie and that this train-wreck is down to the director's poor translating of said book onto the silver screen.

Also; who thought it would be a good idea to glorify child soldiers and genocide this day and age? If this movie had any sort of social commentary, it was nullified by poor delivery.

I'd like to draw comparisons to the amazing "The Last Starfighter" which does everything this movie does without the CGI and hints of child slavery and genocide but with humour and bravado.

Avoid this movie. It's quite possibly worse than "After Earth".
  15. Jun 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me begin by saying that I’ve read the book(s), but I’m not going to delve into the minute differences between them and the film. Frankly, it could’ve worked even with all the things that were cut - but it doesn’t, for a myriad of reasons:

While the movie does contains most of the events that Ender went through, the pacing is all wrong - it feels as if you’re watching Ender’s story in fast-forward mode. For a movie 2 hours long, they sure managed to rush every scene. As a result, there is no meaningful character development - the kids are hollow, placeholder faces, which appear like a generic ad for diversity. In addition, there is no sense of achievement: success seems to fall out of the sky on Ender, and difficulties are overcome with unexplained, laughable ease.
    Finally, important concepts (like the limitation on number of children, or the Ansible) are not explained properly in-film, leading the viewer to guess and deduct on his own. On the other hand, “the enemy’s gate is down”, one of Ender’s critical insights, is gained nonchalantly even before his first battle, without any context, or apparent meaning. It’s as if 10-year-old Einstein sat for breakfast one day, and randomly told his mom, “you know what? I think E=MC^2”. What horrible storytelling.

But the worst comes when the actual war begins. It’s as if this were Ender’s Game as told by the Buggers (AKA Formics for the polite). All of a sudden, humanity isn’t desperately fighting for survival against a superior, infinite enemy, that has murdered tens of millions. Instead, it has the bugs “boxed in”. A single-planet species, with an asteroid base somewhere, has somehow *boxed in* a species with an unknown number of colonies, and endless fleets. Perhaps the script writers require a rudimentary lesson in spacial geometry?
    Forget tactical brilliance against insurmountable odds, the inhuman fatigue that the children had to suffer, and the sacrifice of the people in the war fleet, up to the ultimate, last-ditch victory. In their place we are presented with Hollywood’s standard infantile anti-war morality, that turns humanity - yet again - into interstellar brutes that literally just won’t listen. In an astonishing accomplishment, this movie manages to avoid all the politics that are in the original story, while pushing its own inferior agenda instead.

I'm giving the film a couple of points, since visually it was done quite well, and the actors did seem to put a decent effort into their roles. However, it is an insult to a classic science-fiction story.
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    I'm giving it a 4 because while the special effects were brilliant, they screwed the story up way too much. They didn't develop the characters properly. They missed out too many chunks from the book that were vital to the story making sense, including MOST of Enders battles at battle school. They also changed things from the story. Like the Hunger Games movies, they dulled the story downI'm giving it a 4 because while the special effects were brilliant, they screwed the story up way too much. They didn't develop the characters properly. They missed out too many chunks from the book that were vital to the story making sense, including MOST of Enders battles at battle school. They also changed things from the story. Like the Hunger Games movies, they dulled the story down to cash in on the teenage audience and made the constant tension that was in the book almost non-existent. None of the cast really matched their roles very well, including seasoned actors, Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley, who, while absolutely brilliant actors, weren't really the right choices for their roles. The only right choice seemed to be Abigail Breslin for Valentine. They also missed out a HUGE chunk of the story with Peter and Valentine's characters Locke and Demosthenes. Expand
  17. May 30, 2014
    Much better than I was expecting. With it's story being focused on brains over brawn, and it being able to actually use it's brain, this manages to be a serious science-fiction movie that doesn't come off as pretentious. Which is something I believe the genre has struggled with in it's more recent movie ventures. It all succeeds thanks to it's likable lead and supporting cast. ObviouslyMuch better than I was expecting. With it's story being focused on brains over brawn, and it being able to actually use it's brain, this manages to be a serious science-fiction movie that doesn't come off as pretentious. Which is something I believe the genre has struggled with in it's more recent movie ventures. It all succeeds thanks to it's likable lead and supporting cast. Obviously though there are some pretty big issues. As almost always with movies that are based off books, there are some pretty important details missing. Details that would have otherwise made it easier to get fully invested in the movie. For instance what's up with the issue of a third child in the movies universe? It's mentioned that "a third" could be considered an embarrassment and you need permission to have one, but we are never told why. Also the obvious complexities with Ender's relationship with his various family members are never explored, which left me feeling like I was missing something throughout the entire movie. I imagine the book touches on these things, I do not know as I have not read it, but just keep in mind not everything is as well explained as it should be. This leaves the movie feeling flawed, but I still found it enjoyable. It's one I recommend that you give a shot. Expand
  18. May 22, 2014
    The vast majority of fans of the book are well into their 30s by now, but for some reason they decided to make this film for teens. What a pile of crap. This film has the emotional subtly of being hit over the head with a brick, and lacks all of the honesty of the book. Plus they cut out a huge part of the book. Why did they do all of this??? For the same reason they do everything...The vast majority of fans of the book are well into their 30s by now, but for some reason they decided to make this film for teens. What a pile of crap. This film has the emotional subtly of being hit over the head with a brick, and lacks all of the honesty of the book. Plus they cut out a huge part of the book. Why did they do all of this??? For the same reason they do everything... Money!!! So despite the fact that they made a pile of crap they got a lot of money for their pile of crap so they are happy. As for us adult viewers, who were fans of the book, and require some depth to our stories and characters, we are just **** out of luck. Glad I didn't pay to watch it in theaters. They didn't get a dime from me! Expand
  19. May 15, 2014
    The plot is very solid, the screenplay is not very smart and fluid, and I still find troubles with kids acting, but there's something so interesting about the movie that makes you keep on watching, it is a catching story about alien invasions, with a different moral than all the other movies about the same topic.
  20. Apr 20, 2014
    A dumb movie for teens. The movie dragged on and on! Boring and dull, the actors were awful cast as well. Avoid this movie, you have been warned!

The end
  21. Apr 20, 2014
    As a person who never read a Ender's game book, this movie looks and feels mediocre. Nothing special and very shallow. That Ender kid is so annoying, i just wanted to punch him in the face.
    Could have been better.
  22. Apr 8, 2014
    Never read the book, so I can only make a judgement based on the movie.

Never read the book, so I can only make a judgement based on the movie.

I actually liked this movie allot more than I thought I would. Clearly it tackles with some deep subjects, but they also feel a little rushed at times. The child actors are mostly pretty decent and Ford does a pretty good job too. A bit of a curiosity why Kingsley got top billing (or even how he got cast.) He really feels out of place, but even so, does a good job.

On the outside it feels a bit like a generic Sci-Fi movie, but it's not. At it's core it is something all its own.

Overall:
    Ender's Game may not be the best Sci-Fi movie out there, but it is entertaining with some spectacular scenes. Well worth watching.
  23. Mar 31, 2014
    Let me preface this by saying that I am generally a fan of book to film conversions, especially when, as in this case, the author has had a hand in its production. I watched the Harry Potter films with a certain amount of glee knowing that its author had played a fairly integral part in bringing them to life, and it was with this in mind that I had been greatly anticipating seeing EnderLet me preface this by saying that I am generally a fan of book to film conversions, especially when, as in this case, the author has had a hand in its production. I watched the Harry Potter films with a certain amount of glee knowing that its author had played a fairly integral part in bringing them to life, and it was with this in mind that I had been greatly anticipating seeing Ender brought to life on the big screen.

I have read the entire Ender series dozens of times over the years, with each re-reading being as fulfilling as the first, so when I heard rumours that it was finally to be made in to a film I was overjoyed. Learning that Card himself was to play a part in its transformation was also pleasing news. Until that is I actually watched it.

Let me be plain here. I do not expect any book, especially one of the same caliber as Enders Game, to translate perfectly on to the silver screen. Conversely I did not expect this a conversion to be such a gigantic insult to the source material. Literally everything in this movie is a watered down, imbecilic simplification of the book. Any and all feeling of connection with Ender is stripped away in the first few minutes and it doesn't get any better from there on out.

For the sake of not posting spoilers for anyone who may not have seen the film yet (and I advise that you do not) I won't go in to any detail, but suffice to say that whatever it was about Cards original novel that allowed the reader to connect to its characters has been as thoroughly vaporized as the enemies ships. From almost the moment the film begins you are rushed through at a light speed pace, never getting time to understand the characters or their motivations nor their connections to one another. Ender as he appears in the novel was someone that many thousands of people grew attached to, felt a kinship with and that is something that was a core requirement of making this in to a film. They failed. Miserably. I no more connected with this version of Ender than I could connect with a toilet roll. He and all the supporting cast were as devoid of meaning and feeling as it is possible for any living being to be and the entire film became an exercise in tediousness. I can think of no worse fate for Ender than to have been mutilated, chewed up and spat out in the manner that this film done, shame on Card for allowing this and shame on the cretin who made it.
  24. Mar 24, 2014
    I do not know how they could make this movie with the blessing of the author of the book. This film looks as screenwriter snatched from the book every 20th page and then write idiotic ending. In this film there is only depleted Ender's story, no history of his family, none of the other characters - only prosthesis without own thoughts.
  25. Mar 23, 2014
    It's a bit like putting my youngest child in Heathrow Airport's Flight Control tower and just letting him get on with it. I'm sorry, really I am, but I simply cannot buy into an annoyingly precocious child being responsible for the safety of all mankind, with the power of all of humanity's armed forces at his disposal. I don't care how much training (not much, evidently) he is purported toIt's a bit like putting my youngest child in Heathrow Airport's Flight Control tower and just letting him get on with it. I'm sorry, really I am, but I simply cannot buy into an annoyingly precocious child being responsible for the safety of all mankind, with the power of all of humanity's armed forces at his disposal. I don't care how much training (not much, evidently) he is purported to have had or whether or not he has been bred and nurtured for this very purpose. I am not eleven.

Adapted from the book (not read it, sorry, nor am I going to) this tale of one child's training as a future Admiral in the next Starship Troopers sequel (oh alright, I take that back) has had its own set of problems, development-wise, judging by just how long it took to reach us. Pitched as a sci-fi with eye candy, exploring more than the average number of themes for this type of thing, our hero, Ender Wiggins (Asa Butterfield) takes destiny and apparent fate by the scruff of the neck and goes about trying to save us all from the evil Formics, a race of bug-type aliens that previously tried to colonise earth some fifty years earlier, ultimately failing, but killing tens of millions in the attempt. Ever since, plans have been afoot to take this war to the enemy planet and do away with them once and for all. And the best people to tactically outsmart the foe on this possible final day of freedom are apparently young children with no actual experience of warmongering whatsoever. So, a global blockbuster epic of galactic proportions. And with it, a hefty $110 million in the making.

Perhaps it's because I never read the book(s), but I didn't know or care who any of these people were. The film takes alot for granted with regard to its audience, assuming that we have a clue what the hell is going on in the lives of everyone involved, what their motivations are and what, if any, relevance they have to events taking place. Such hefty production expenses would usually have to ensure that the film reached as many people as possible, but it really didn't feel like the previously uninitiated were being considered, which is unfortunate, given that this would have comprised most the paying members of the audience.

Add to this the incredulity that those very same audience members will have felt by having this young man in charge of their very existence and just how likely, even in magical Hollywoodland, that would actually be. I can swallow quite a bit, but even this seemed more far-fatched than the clearly questionable premise was to begin with.

Now I don't want to come across as a bully, but Asa Butterfield really doesn't have the gravitas to pull off a tactical master of the universe. For a start, he looks like he's about twelve, he has no charisma to speak of that would garner any kind of respect, especially from other children, who are, without doubt, the most difficult of demographics to get any kind of common-sense, consideration and deliberation out of. Even more so with teenagers. His direction may have been to play Ender as understated and thoughtful, but these qualities are not enough to make this character believable. Age is not on his side here, and what he lacks in years, he must therefore make up for in other areas. Sadly, this was not the case.

Perhaps there are elements of Ender that we (them that didn't read the book) are not aware of. Again, we return to the problem of the characters not being fleshed out well enough for the more clueless in the audience (ie, me) to appreciate. I just don't know. I didn't read the book, so I don't know. What I do know is that I felt like I must be missing something fairly relevant to a plot that I was largely unaparty to.

The performances from the grown-ups on show were all pretty good, though none were outstanding. Harrison Ford, Viola Davis and Ben Kingsley all supported the fledging war-maker suitably, although most of the time, they appeared to be just as reticent as me to believe this mere slip of a boy could muster enough respect to command a trip to the shops, far less potential genocide of an entire alien race.

Looked pretty but lacked a cohesive narrative that the newcomer to the stories could follow and was sorely lacking with the choice of Butterfield as the lead. Not to be too harsh on him, but the finger of blame should probably go to the casting department in this regard, for choosing an actor that already had a serious handicap in this area, through no real fault of his own.

This will come and go and you probably won't notice.
  26. Mar 17, 2014
    To start off, this review is not for those who are fans of the the book, but for people who haven't read it. Enders Game, in a world where kids are trained to become part of the military, one boy, "Ender" (what kind of name is that) shows, 'promise' so he is chosen to be trained to become a commander. With a cast that it has, what can go wrong? Well first i will say, i enjoyed it; it isTo start off, this review is not for those who are fans of the the book, but for people who haven't read it. Enders Game, in a world where kids are trained to become part of the military, one boy, "Ender" (what kind of name is that) shows, 'promise' so he is chosen to be trained to become a commander. With a cast that it has, what can go wrong? Well first i will say, i enjoyed it; it is one of those movies that you watch once and then you would probably re-watch it a year or two later because what happens will just shock you to the point that you don't understand what the story did. There is very little sympathy with the character, because it is hard to connect to the characters themselves. Sure enough Ender is represented as the typical high school smart kid who gets bullied because of his smarts, yet has anger issues whenever he gets picked on. Entertaining, i can say that would describe this featurette, just like any other Harrison Ford movies, entertainment, cheesy one liners, serious periods that take just a few minutes to get over, and a child to exceed his expectations (just like Shia Lebouf from the latest Indiana Jones movie).

When rating this i will not be going by the book, but the film itself as a stand alone.

Ratings:

Music: B
    Acting: C+
    Cinematography: B+ (lake scene is nice)
    CGI: A- (very interactive)
    Narrative: Start, and middle B, near the end C+, end B-

Positives + entertaining, make sure you have good speakers, a monitor is also enough to watch it. The CGI is very interactive, pay attention to the games that are played within the movie.

Negative - the narrative is too straight forward, and the shock will just make you annoyed. Acting is alright, but sometimes it is just like every other war story just mixed with kids, which is just like the representation of the playground. Just without ships, bombs, and zero gravity.
  27. Mar 15, 2014
    Ender’s Game is one of those movies that is going to divide people and that division is going to be primarily based on whether or not you have read the book. People who have not read the book will either like the movie or just think its ok because a lot of the issues I have with the film come from reading the book. If you have read the book you will not be too keen on the film and in someEnder’s Game is one of those movies that is going to divide people and that division is going to be primarily based on whether or not you have read the book. People who have not read the book will either like the movie or just think its ok because a lot of the issues I have with the film come from reading the book. If you have read the book you will not be too keen on the film and in some cases hate it. A lot of my issues with the film are issues I have with all film adaptations of books. You cannot have everything from the book in the film and as a result a lot of moments are skipped through that give the story a depth creating a rather shallow film. While that stuff does bothers me it is a necessary annoyance of film adaptations of books or else the film will go on too long and be boring. The main issue I have with the film is that there a couple of characters that aren’t represented well, such as Ender and Graff and their relationship, and various points from the book aren’t emphasized well enough, such as Ender’s miserable life, and the ending. While this is isn’t the worst adaptation of a book I’ve ever seen its not the best either. Issues always come when transitioning books to film so no matter what it will let me down but a couple of changes really got to me and those who read the book. The film is alright but nothing spectacular as a lot of the changes make the film feel shallow and rushed. If you haven’t read the book do that is it has a lot more depth. Check the film out of if you want as it is somewhat entertaining although fans of the book should lower their expectations or they’ll be a tad disappointed. Expand
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    The Ender franchise has turned into such a global phenomena that now, most kids are required to read it in High School. I was one of those kids and I absolutely loved the story. In fact I continued on with the books and they became unbearably strange. How they got almost 20 novels out of it is beyond me. While I was really excited to finally see Ender's Game on the big screen, I knew theThe Ender franchise has turned into such a global phenomena that now, most kids are required to read it in High School. I was one of those kids and I absolutely loved the story. In fact I continued on with the books and they became unbearably strange. How they got almost 20 novels out of it is beyond me. While I was really excited to finally see Ender's Game on the big screen, I knew the chances of it continuing past one film would be slim at best. It all has to do with the ending, which is bizarre and really shouldn't have been continued. For those who don't know the story, in the future, Earth is at war with an alien species known as the Formics. The Humans have taken heavy losses and in desperation have started a recruitment program, that focuses on children. Knowing that kids think in a different way than adults do, they are hoping to find that one genius who has the key to defeating the Formics. That child turns out to be Ender Wiggin, a child who under Earth's new Government, shouldn't have even been born. Seeing the story I read so many years ago, come to life on the big screen, was magical for me. Finally I was able to understand the parts that were just too confusing to see in my head and get the complete picture. Ender is played by Asa Butterfield, who somewhat miraculously, at the age of 15, has had the starring role in every film he's been in. After watching Ender's game it's not hard to see why, he was to this film, what Ender was to the Human's in the story. The producers surrounded him and his young crew with a cast of Academy Award winners including Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, and Viola Davis, which ultimately strengthen the movie and must of really inspired this kid to give the performance he gave. While the film simply broken even at the box office, (killing any chance of a franchise developing out of it) it was very well done and closely mirrored the book. They did a near perfect job of deciding what parts should stay and what should be eliminated, giving us a film that was just as good as the book, if not better. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2014
    If you enjoy sci-fi's, you are bound to enjoy this film. For me, the ultimate disappointment was probably some of the emotional scenes. Not to spoil anything, the funny thing about this film is that you're actually watching the cliffhanger but not knowing you're watching the cliffhanger.
  30. Mar 1, 2014
    I didn't read the book but the movie is really good. Here we have this fantastical future where children are treated like they have brains (and hormones), and prepared for adulthood from a young age. The main character is a bit hard to believe, as he is a 13-year-old genius, hacker, laser marksman, master of space-battle tactics, who learned judo in about 5 days. I would discuss theI didn't read the book but the movie is really good. Here we have this fantastical future where children are treated like they have brains (and hormones), and prepared for adulthood from a young age. The main character is a bit hard to believe, as he is a 13-year-old genius, hacker, laser marksman, master of space-battle tactics, who learned judo in about 5 days. I would discuss the parallels with American nationalistic imperialism, but it obviously went over most people's heads anyways.

Great acting all around. Harrison Ford should retire now and end on a good note before he does something stupid like another movie with Shaih Bluff.
  31. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find the concept of taking children out of their homes for the express purpose of raising them into soulless ADULT military tacticians very intriguing but that's not what this movie is about. Ender's Game would have you believe some supposedly genius kids are fit to fight aliens with death star like spaceships after playing a mouse video game and few rounds of laser tag.

That's like handing a ballistic missile submarine over to a bunch of kids from a school for the gifted. In my opinion there is a great deal of potential for a story here but it just wasn't handled well. If I wrote the script I would had Ender, in his teens, being chosen for International Fleet after doing well on a mandatory military/tactical test given to the students of his school. Ender is ripped away from his fairly carefree childhood into a military world of discipline and brutality.

Instead of learning literature and history like regular middle/high school kids Ender learns about military science and strategy. Instead of playing laser tag Ender and his peers would learn the ins and outs of space warfare by controlling real starships (small fighters at first then graduating up to bigger more powerful vehicles) in training exercises. Throughout the film we would see how Ender copes with his new environment as he grows into a young adult (and his brain finishes developing) including his emotional struggles such as being away from home, having no or few friends, and living by the harsh rules of military discipline.

I would also add some a some depth to the Formics. Give them a reason for attacking Earth, have them do evil and sinister things, and most importantly make it so you couldn't beat them just by hitting them with a death star laser. In the final battle Ender and his peers are actually inside the starships they are commanding, therefore creating the element of danger.

Simple changes like this would have vastly increased the quality of the plot in my opinion. As it stands the impressive visuals of Enders Game were entertaining but that's all I liked about the film.
  32. Feb 18, 2014
    This movie has little to no emotion. the complex emotional ties between Ender and his colleagues were so glossed over it fails to draw you in. There were so few battle room battle and explanations for the genius that runs in his family as well. Glaring plot holes and a complete lack of emotion is why I gave such a negative review. The effects were amazing though and that is the only reasonThis movie has little to no emotion. the complex emotional ties between Ender and his colleagues were so glossed over it fails to draw you in. There were so few battle room battle and explanations for the genius that runs in his family as well. Glaring plot holes and a complete lack of emotion is why I gave such a negative review. The effects were amazing though and that is the only reason worth watching this dumbed down movie adaption. Expand
  33. Feb 17, 2014
    Ender's Game is a strange and weird movie, but in the end is it okay, because the story is great and I really enjoyed it.

This movie got an interesting beginning, and it's a very mighty and cool. The actors are okay, but not more, and overall is this movie well made and it's unique at one way. The music and the story is also good, but the story is a little weird. Ender's Game is a movie that contains strange things, but also slowness and it didn't contain many unique things, because some of the scenes I've already seen other movies. The tempo is also slow, which made it a little boring. It was also too much simulations in this movie, and it didn't feel real.

Ender's Game gets a 7/10
  34. Feb 17, 2014
    Unrealistic. Many roles are miscast with people that you could never possible imagine, in real life, would be capable of defending earth against a horde of alien invaders. It feels more like a Disney Movie at times, and tries to hard to be "feel good" at the expensive of putting forth a moral thesis.
  35. Feb 15, 2014
    I am a huge fan of the book. This movie by itself might get an alright score from me but since this is based on a good and deep book this movie must be judged more harshly. This movie rushes through key points in the books and skips most important moments. The movie fails completely to show the audience the emotions and thoughts of characters that make the book so amazing. The movie alsoI am a huge fan of the book. This movie by itself might get an alright score from me but since this is based on a good and deep book this movie must be judged more harshly. This movie rushes through key points in the books and skips most important moments. The movie fails completely to show the audience the emotions and thoughts of characters that make the book so amazing. The movie also ignores Enders slow descent into madness and doesn't show the hardships endured by nearly every character. They would've been better off just calling this an entirely different movie. This movie is horrible when put beside the book, I've never wrote a review but this movie was so bad and disgraced the book so much i had to immediately write this review. Expand
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    just terrific..I honestly started watching without expectations and voila..it turned out to be quite interesting..watching a bright boy as Ender and his intellectual capabilities. Director Gavin Hood has delivered a fantastic movie. Too bad it's not getting the praise it deserves.
  37. Feb 15, 2014
    Another movie which sort of pales in comparison to its book. Well, its decent, but for a movie like this I expected more character development... Ender, for example, seems to near perfect right from the start, and does not seem to develop much, kind of like characters from the first Star Wars movie. He also suffers very few setbacks which protagonists usually do. It's just...not quite right...
  38. Feb 12, 2014
    This is a film that looks good has solid performances, but takes itself way to serious. There is basically no humor or even a smile also the plot gets a little ridiculous. Overall it's highly forgettable. C
  39. Feb 12, 2014
    If you read (and liked) the book, you will likely be very disappointed by this movie. While adapting any book for a movie requires a lot of condensing, the script for this movie does a very poor job. Much of the emphasis in the book is in Ender's relationships with his fellow trainees, his family and with Graff. These are pivotal to his development as a commander, however it all feelsIf you read (and liked) the book, you will likely be very disappointed by this movie. While adapting any book for a movie requires a lot of condensing, the script for this movie does a very poor job. Much of the emphasis in the book is in Ender's relationships with his fellow trainees, his family and with Graff. These are pivotal to his development as a commander, however it all feels very rushed in the movie. There is almost no back story and no character development at all. The script leaves you with more empathy for the aliens then it does for any human character. Frankly, some of the scenes are so random and rushed through that if i hadn't read the book, i don't think i would have understood why they were even in the movie. Overall, one of the worst adaptations of a good book that I have seen in recent times. It is sad to see Orson Scott Card's book turned into such a travesty. I hope they at least paid him well for the privilege. Expand
  40. Feb 9, 2014
    Solid acting but over-reliance on special effects and uneven pacing definitely take away from it. Things were going rather quickly in the first hour and came to a complete stop during the second, To the point where it was from rather interesting and entertaining to dreadfully boring. They easily could have cut the film down to an hour and a half and it would have been a far better film.Solid acting but over-reliance on special effects and uneven pacing definitely take away from it. Things were going rather quickly in the first hour and came to a complete stop during the second, To the point where it was from rather interesting and entertaining to dreadfully boring. They easily could have cut the film down to an hour and a half and it would have been a far better film.

Would I recommend it? Well, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it but if someone already has it and wants to, Why not take a chance on it.
  41. Feb 9, 2014
    This is movie is wrongly classified as it actually family sci-fi movie, that way it would be 8 points or so, I'm sure many kids love it. But since it pretend to be a real sci-fi, I would say the story is very weak and worth 4 at the very best.
  42. Feb 8, 2014
    Ender's Game is quite a decent movie. I had some expectations towards this one and after the ending I was quite happy for seeing it.
    The acting is decent. I feel like i should highlight Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield's acting, it's very good. They really achieved the goal to make me care about their characters, and for that I can thank both the actors and the producers.
    The CGI
    The CGI effects are great, providing amazing battle scenes.
    I understand that this is basel on a novel, and many plot elements have been excluded in the movie, but if you didn't read the book or don't know anything about the story (like myself) think it's a very enjoyable experience.
  43. Feb 7, 2014
    La primera impresión en las primeras secuencias de Ender's Game me parecieron atractivas e interesantes sobre todo cuando hablan de personas que no tienen nada en especial, pero que más adelante terminarán salvando al mundo, pero luego Ender's Game vuelve a tender una temática dramática en exceso y con actuaciones que no asombran demasiado (a excepción de Asa Butterfield). También cabeLa primera impresión en las primeras secuencias de Ender's Game me parecieron atractivas e interesantes sobre todo cuando hablan de personas que no tienen nada en especial, pero que más adelante terminarán salvando al mundo, pero luego Ender's Game vuelve a tender una temática dramática en exceso y con actuaciones que no asombran demasiado (a excepción de Asa Butterfield). También cabe mencionar que se hizo muy larga, pero en las partes finales puede resultar entretenida. En conclusión, nada especialmente bueno, solo es ese tipo de películas que te entretiene por unos minutos para después poder regresar a casa para la cena. Expand
  44. Feb 3, 2014
    In the year 2086 alien species called Formics attack the Earth. Commander Mazer Rackham sacrifices himself to save the planet. 50 years past without any sign of alien form of life on our planet but humans are still getting ready for future battles, that might come any moment. The only weapon they have (except than machine that cost 7 billion USD) are genius kids - specially trained highlyIn the year 2086 alien species called Formics attack the Earth. Commander Mazer Rackham sacrifices himself to save the planet. 50 years past without any sign of alien form of life on our planet but humans are still getting ready for future battles, that might come any moment. The only weapon they have (except than machine that cost 7 billion USD) are genius kids - specially trained highly intelligent people. Most outstanding of them is Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) - a 15 years old boy with brilliant military tactics. He and another dozens of youngsters were permanently instructed and prepared on International Fleet's base in the space. However, they were never taught to be friends with each other, because only one of them would be "the chosen one" to lead the rest. If you look at Ender, he is an absolute outsider - a tiny, feeble, shy boy who sometimes turns out to be the biggest geek. But here comes a "surprising" plot twist that he has to defeat enemy that killed thousands of brave soldiers (no, seriously, this is not a plot twist, at all).

So, the movie basically evolves around him. And we're having quite long and peaceful voyage with Wiggin from very beginning to the end. At first I though of seeing massive battle scenes, with brilliant CGI, a lot fire and blood, but instead we have quite logical and predictable story of a confused kid who was foisted real guns. Watching a fantasy movie, I was not surprised how awesome and unreal Ender's character was. I liked how steadily and permanently he evolved on the screen, how he turned from a simple boy into a complex person. Asa Butterfield delivered very confident and emotional performance, even surprisingly better than I expected. He was great in Hugo, but here, having more character resources, he did exceptionally better. Wiggin is a little boy and a grown man the same time, who has self-reliance of elders and sensitivity of younger. All these was convincingly expressed in every emotion or movement of Asa.

The rest of cast is quite good, including Oscar nominees Viola Davis, Hailee Steinfeld & Harrison Ford, and Academy Award winner Sir Ben Kingsley. They all do their best to make a average story look more interesting.

Lacking massive attack scenes, it is hard to be surprised with visual effects. Only last 20 minutes bring enough action to see how well CGI and different techniques were used. But I still think there is nothing new even here, especially compared to Gravity, Star Trek into Darkness and The Hobbit this year.

Here is what I found to be the biggest problem. Ender's Game is not either kids movie or adults movie. It's somehow in the middle having few battle scenes for big people and few computer games scene for kiddos. Mixing these things does not fully worked with me. Personally, I'd love to see more action here. If Gavin Hood as a director could decide for whom he's making a film, I'd be more pleased.

Novel, on which film is based, has a sequel. I hope they'll make a sequel to motion picture too, but I want it to be more breathtaking and involving. Something like Star Trek into Darkness has done to me this year.
  45. Feb 2, 2014
    A tame adaptation of the classic novel, and instead lowering its impact to get the teenage crowd. However, Ender's Game has always been geared towards adults and hence the problem. Some great performances by the leads but until the last 10 minutes or so, Ender's Game lost a lot of its punch. Too bad.
  46. Feb 2, 2014
    I suppose “Ender’s Game” could have been a decent, average adaptation of a book that was written by a complete lunatic; however, the film was just an emotionless, joyless and thrill-less rollercoaster ride that had no real ups or downs. While the special effects look incredible, the film feels like that was the only important part of the film as every scene that should be about theI suppose “Ender’s Game” could have been a decent, average adaptation of a book that was written by a complete lunatic; however, the film was just an emotionless, joyless and thrill-less rollercoaster ride that had no real ups or downs. While the special effects look incredible, the film feels like that was the only important part of the film as every scene that should be about the characters plays out like the really cool looking CG effects are the real star. Even the great performances and themes of the film feel like they play second fiddle to a movie that was more about the special effects. In the end, “Ender’s Game” was just boring and lacked any real spark. Expand
  47. Feb 2, 2014
  48. Jan 29, 2014
    I had high hopes for this movie, Ender's Game was one of my favourite books when I was younger. The movie was a failure in capturing the flavour of the book and wasn't even especially entertaining in it's own right. To anyone who hasn't read the book I would expect them to be confused and not even understand why some elements of the movie existed.
  49. Jan 23, 2014
    I never heard about this story before I watched the movie, so my review should be objective. As a sci-fi fan I quite enjoyed Ender's Game, athough I was severely disappointed with how the movie ends. The acting was alright, the setting and CG was good. There were some unique ideas included in the design.
    The main flaw of the movie is a really weak plot and too many unanswered questions and too many kids on the set. If you are into sci-fi movies, this is a definitely watchable and you should enjoy it. If you are not a sci-fi fan however, the movie will seem an idiotic cosmic flick with giant insects.
  50. Jan 15, 2014
    Knowing nothing about this book I was lead to believe this film was going to be action orientated. It is not but that's not a bad thing because it's a character and story focused film. It doesn't go for too long, you aren't bored, and want to see how it ends. I was satisfied.

The visuals of this film are great. I particularly enjoyed the zero G room used for the launchies' training exercises. In the future I suggest this be made available for recreation as it looks like a lot of fun. Also worth praising is how battles are shown from the holographic screens which zoom, tilt and pan to give ender the best view possible. It's almost like a video game except I asked 'how can he view battles like this'. Because surely in the heat of battle any drone cameras would be destroyed. But this is a minor grievance of how realistic viewing battles this way would be.

All the cast suited their roles except for Ben Kingsley. The could've chosen Temuera Morrison who is a Maori and looks like a soldier for example. But he was in the new star wars trilogy which is why I think he was overlooked. Furthermore his character claims to be ender's enemy during training however he is actually another mentor of Ender's. A mismatch in dialogue and execution I think.

At the end I had questions and got locked into discussion all the way home. I thought about events and occurrences not making sense or weren't explained properly. I thought about what I would do in Ender's situation. I thought about what was real and what wasn't. I lastly thought about the last scene and saying 'that isn't believable'. I thought and talking about a lot, but my friends and I agreed; this is a good but not great film yet entertaining nonetheless.

I went we read the book and the second book Speaker for the Dead. If Ender's Game was not filmable then Speaker of the Dead is as likely as pigs flying. I also read the author does not want it made into a film.
  51. Jan 14, 2014
    Without much in the way of strong character development most of the movie seems to just hand on it's flashy visuals. The story is not compelling mainly because it is simply too much to ask for an audience to connect with a very bland main character. The movie tries its hardest to make you want to root for him as if he is some kind of underdog but at the same time constantly points outWithout much in the way of strong character development most of the movie seems to just hand on it's flashy visuals. The story is not compelling mainly because it is simply too much to ask for an audience to connect with a very bland main character. The movie tries its hardest to make you want to root for him as if he is some kind of underdog but at the same time constantly points out that he is pretty much already the "Chosen One".
    In the end we are left with some great CG Special effects, a performance from Harrison Ford that borders on menacing, and a kind of cameo from Sir Ben Kingsley. No discredit to Asa Butterfield, but Ender just was not memorable which is sad for a movie titled after the main character.
  52. Jan 10, 2014
    The plot was so difficult to understand! I could only get about 25% of the plot before it ended, and the voice acting is a bit choppy. It is overall bland and confusing. Special effects aren't bad but rather overused. Lacks a lot of major scenes, such as (blocked) and (blocked). It is generally a bit mediocre, and with the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other good novel adaptations, it'sThe plot was so difficult to understand! I could only get about 25% of the plot before it ended, and the voice acting is a bit choppy. It is overall bland and confusing. Special effects aren't bad but rather overused. Lacks a lot of major scenes, such as (blocked) and (blocked). It is generally a bit mediocre, and with the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and other good novel adaptations, it's generally gonna be overlooked. Expand
  53. Jan 5, 2014
    Ender's Game holds a impressive unique universe, with stunning visuals and interesting story, but falls flat by the main protagonist's acting which at points is un-parable. The whole movie feels like it fell abit short of what I was originally anticipating, although the set of characters are truly some of the best personality whiles of 2013. Book fans or Si-Fi geeks will get their fix,Ender's Game holds a impressive unique universe, with stunning visuals and interesting story, but falls flat by the main protagonist's acting which at points is un-parable. The whole movie feels like it fell abit short of what I was originally anticipating, although the set of characters are truly some of the best personality whiles of 2013. Book fans or Si-Fi geeks will get their fix, but if your not at least one of the two I would wait for a DVD renal. Expand
  54. Jan 3, 2014
    Can I start off by saying that this movie is not homophobic or anti-gay and that that is only the writer of the book Orson Scott Card (dick).
    The director of that badly written CGI fest X-Men Origins Wolverine sets out to make the movie of the complex book which predicted things such as the internet, gaming and e-mail, he does it surprisingly well.
    Asa Butterfield is perfectly cast as
    Asa Butterfield is perfectly cast as Ender and really makes the role his own, Harrison Ford is awesome (need I say more) and all of the supporting cast who make up Enders dragon army are brilliant also. Something which took me by surprise was the quality of the CGI in the space scenes. It was really good. I have not yet seen Gravity, so I won't say it's the best of the year. But it's definitely near the top of the list. However the best thing about the movie by far is the twist within the last 20 minutes (WHICH I WILL NOT REVEAL), but really took me by surprise. I am assuming that the twist was in the book and if I had read that first maybe it would not have been so effective. But I didn't read the book first, so the twist was totally unexpected and very very clever.
    The first thing which started to ruin the movie was the ending which is not satisfying, and while I understand it now, it was difficult to interpret while the credits were rolling. The last shot is stolen from Avatar too. Also in contrast to many other movies, where he has been absolutely amazing, Ben Kingsley's performance is not all that good. He fits his character, but changes personality and even worse changes accent, which is one of the biggest sins possible for an actor to commit. Although the main problem with Enders Game, is too many unintentionally funny scenes (the same problem Gavin Hood had in X-Men Origins Wolverine). The clichéd bully gets embarrassed scenes, grin inspiring voice breaks from Asa Butterfield and laugh out loud hilarious first appearance of Ben Kingsley are just some of the unforgettable comedy moments in the movie.
    Overall Enders Game failed to be the science fiction epic that Orson Scott Card's (dick) novel was, but does succeed at being an intelligent science fiction fantasy for kids and I found that movie perfectly enjoyable.
  55. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AWESOME movie!! A SEQUEL should come out! The Book was GREAT ,but it was even better seeing the ACTION in front of you! It was just Outstanding! Can't wait for what come next! Expand
  56. Dec 26, 2013
    Great adaptation, very loyal to the original material.
    I simply loved it. I am a big fan of the book and was really scared about the adaptation going really bad.
    After 5 minutes I realized I had no reason to be afraid. The movie is amazing. That was the general opinion of the friends who watched with me and hadn't read the book. My friend said: I had no expectations whatsoever for this
    Great adaptation, very loyal to the original material.
    After 5 minutes I realized I had no reason to be afraid.
    The movie is amazing. That was the general opinion of the friends who watched with me and hadn't read the book. My friend said: I had no expectations whatsoever for this movie and it was awesome!
    I agree entirely.
  57. Dec 21, 2013
    Is this film as good as the book? Well no. Does it stick to the exact details of the book or choose the more compelling moments to build a good story. The second one. But despite these things, it keeps true to the spirit of the source text, successfully compressing it down without cheapening it or pulling punches. Harrison Ford gets a somewhat expanded part, but he is terrific to watch.Is this film as good as the book? Well no. Does it stick to the exact details of the book or choose the more compelling moments to build a good story. The second one. But despite these things, it keeps true to the spirit of the source text, successfully compressing it down without cheapening it or pulling punches. Harrison Ford gets a somewhat expanded part, but he is terrific to watch.
    Overall in my opinion its the best Sci-Fi film of this year and probably last year too.
  58. Dec 16, 2013
    Since the books were horrible to begin with, it is probably best that the movies includes almost nothing at all from them. Once again, you get what you expect with this movie. CGI, Bad acting, and nothing new under the sun. Im afraid I have to give it points for CGI. But at what point are we going to stop giving movies a free pass just because some visual effects company got paid 20Since the books were horrible to begin with, it is probably best that the movies includes almost nothing at all from them. Once again, you get what you expect with this movie. CGI, Bad acting, and nothing new under the sun. Im afraid I have to give it points for CGI. But at what point are we going to stop giving movies a free pass just because some visual effects company got paid 20 billion dollars to make realistic looking graphics. Scifi effects are not the only thing that scifi fans want in a movie. We have reached a point in public consciousness of moviegoing, that we do not want to be treated like infants that need to be distracted with a bright, shiny, red balloon. We need a bit more substance people. Expand
  59. Dec 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As someone who went into the film with an open mind, not knowing what the film was about or having read the book I thought the film was not good. This film is basic a big pile of nothing due to the lack of depth, the presence of plot holes and other annoyances, this overrated adaptation is entirely forgettable. With bad dialogue, poorly written characters as well as a lack of development from then, I didn't care for the characters at all, and sadly, even a good cast couldn't save the film; Harrison Ford giving a wooden and stiff performance, surprisingly mediocre acting from Asa Butterfield, laughable acting from Ben Kingsley and other forgettable performances in the end, the only performance that is at least decent is Abigail Breslin, who is entirely underused in this film. The film is incredibly tedious and rather messy and filled with plot holes, and the make it worse there is plenty of unintentional hilarity as well as goofy and somewhat campy sci-fi elements. On the plus side of things, the visuals are certainly impressive and they work well with the film. In the end, Ender's Game is nothing but style over substance.*NOTE: Prepare for some spoilers* Due to the poorly written nature of the film, some of the more thought-provoking elements of the narrative as well as the "plot twists" remained ineffective and highly obvious throughout the entire film, especially when in the film Ender is shocked by his act of genocide when it was completely obvious for the characters and the audience the realise this prior. *NOTE: end of spoilers*. Expand
  60. Dec 10, 2013
    I just watched the movie and I just have to vent for a minute.

First off this movie barely follows the book at all, it only had 1 or 2 scenes that where directly similar to the book, and believe me Ive read the book twice in the past 6 months, I have a list here of some of the changes, and while they might seem like little changes they were actually quite large. 1 Ender was 6 at the
    I just watched the movie and I just have to vent for a minute.

1 Ender was 6 at the begging of the book not 15
    2 Enders school was just like normal school
    it wasnt a military academy as portrayed
    3 Enders sister was like 8 in the book not 16
    4 Enders brother Peter was 12 not 23
    5 Enders father was American Born in America
    Not Russian born in Russia (Really why would you change that its stupid and only takes away from following the book)
    6 Major Anderson was a MALE
    7 There was only one girl in Battleschool
    and her name was Petra
    8 Bean came to Battleschool 2 years after Ender
    9 Ender was never friends with Bernard and he
    wasnt in Enders army and he didnt participate in
    the final battle in fact Bernard wanted Ender dead
    after Ender broke his arm
    10 for some reason Bernard had 0 conflicts with
    Enders and Shen just doesnt exist even though
    he was Enders first friend and a Major importance
    to the beginning plot (Another REALLY WHY THE HELL IS HE A PROTAGONIST)
    11 Dink Meeker was a white Jew not Black he was
    never in Salamander army he met Ender in rat army
    12 Bonzo Madrid was 4 years older than Ender and
    much much larger and stronger…. The fight scene
    between them seemed like a joke compared to the
    book scene where Ender kneed Bonzos nose into his brain
    blood started gushing from it. He didnt even see him after that in the book but in the movie Enders personality is so distorted to that of a rebelious teenager whereas in the book he was a Very quite un rebellious boy. (AGAIN BONZA WAS 4 YEARS OLDER you already wanted to use older actors so why not use one for him, why dont you switch the actor that you used for Enders brothers for him)
    13 seriously they made battle school only like 3 months long, Ender was in battleschool for like 6 years
    14 Ender never emailed his sister nor did he want to, in fact he didnt actually want to see her again what a stupid change, it changed Enders entire character this is Fing rediculous at this point.
    15 Petra was not Girly she was VERY AGRESSIVE, she did not have a love interest in Ender
    16 ENDER NEVER LOST
    17 Really the MD device is a lazer, and of course only one ship has it, and of course those ships are just drones, Fing rediculous, it almost makes the end battle seem like a joke because no one died whereas in the book all of those pilots had just sacrificed themselfs burning up in the atmosphere and actually detonated the MD device inside of their own ship THAT WAS A REALLY GOOD PART OF THE BOOK and it could have translated so well to the movie…
    Really they just cut out 90% of the story and changed 99% of the rest, it is very loosly based on the book and if they had made a book based on the movie it probably wouldnt have even been published it was that bad.

I could go on for days but I cant it was just that bad, it was bad in the same areas as the Dragonball Evolution movie…
  61. Dec 10, 2013
    In being an avid fan of the Enderverse series and having been looking forward to the possibility of this movie for years, I must say, this was well worth the wait. Obviously, no movie adaptation can encompass the depth and volume of a novel, but Hood's media conversion does so elegantly and faithfully. The movie stays true to the narrative and storyline of the novel and does so in such aIn being an avid fan of the Enderverse series and having been looking forward to the possibility of this movie for years, I must say, this was well worth the wait. Obviously, no movie adaptation can encompass the depth and volume of a novel, but Hood's media conversion does so elegantly and faithfully. The movie stays true to the narrative and storyline of the novel and does so in such a way that chooses all of the right moments and dialogue that add up to make a very entertaining experience.

Overall, the acting, character portrayals, cinematography, CGI, score, and pace of the movie was high quality. This movie is worth seeing, especially if you are a fan of Sci-Fi, whether you've read the books or not. As a last note, I also got a good deal of Tron: Legacy vibes from the film, which to me, is a great thing!
  62. Dec 9, 2013
    Rarely my children and I agree but this was one it was good, the movie as well as the representation of the book very impressed they did not butcher it especially since I read this back in high school in the 80's and had my kids read it when they were in elementary school about 7 years ago. I hope they come out with the sequel (speaker of the dead) it will be interesting to see if theyRarely my children and I agree but this was one it was good, the movie as well as the representation of the book very impressed they did not butcher it especially since I read this back in high school in the 80's and had my kids read it when they were in elementary school about 7 years ago. I hope they come out with the sequel (speaker of the dead) it will be interesting to see if they continue to be true to the context. Expand
  63. Dec 7, 2013
    When this film becomes available for home viewing it will likely lead many teens and adults to read the imaginative 1980s novel that it was based upon. The film depicts some of the ideas and scenes from the novel in interesting ways. The child actors were quite good in their abbreviated roles. The film is relatively brief in comparison to the story it was based upon. The productionWhen this film becomes available for home viewing it will likely lead many teens and adults to read the imaginative 1980s novel that it was based upon. The film depicts some of the ideas and scenes from the novel in interesting ways. The child actors were quite good in their abbreviated roles. The film is relatively brief in comparison to the story it was based upon. The production quality of this film is high. Expand
  64. Dec 7, 2013
    Sticks to the book rather well, and is brilliantly filmed. The sets/special effects are beautiful, though the acting could use some work. The way the movie ends is an excellent visualization of the rather abstract ending of the book.
  65. Dec 6, 2013
    Ender's Game has far too many sub-plots for it's own good, and can't balance these and the main plot. Not even the great action sequences and above average acting can save Ender's Game from being a movie that has very brief character profiles, awkward and rushed sub-plots, and numerous plot holes in general.
  66. Dec 6, 2013
    yes, the book is better.... but i think that this movie is one of the best adaptation that i ever seen. guys, please, don't "critic" the movie if you don't know anything about the book! you look like core less ships! ah! yes! i'm a spaceship!
  67. Dec 6, 2013
    This movie had a few differences from the book. It didn't follow some characters as much as the book. But just like the LOTR's and Narnia movies, its part of the process. Making a long book to one movie is a difficult challenge. The movie without the book is a very good movie that has one wondering what's going to happen next. Only to have one of the most original twists of all time.
  68. Dec 5, 2013
    I don't want to give the wrong impression by rating it a 6. It's not a bad movie. It looks great, it sounds great (I saw it in IMAX 3D) but the feel is all wrong. The book really draws you in and makes you feel for this kid and I think the movie misses on that front. Interested to see where they take the series or if this was just a one off.
  69. Dec 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A cruel experience.

I've only seen a few minutes of it, and knew that this is a lousy movie. He is also rated with a total of only 51%. As far as my rating is pretty close.

Why?
    Although he looks good and has Stars to offer but this story is no good. In dozens of films, this principle is applied. A geek is a hero. More you did not have to offer?

Too bad that the stars can not really show off their skills. I would have preferred more of Ford and Co as of this untalented children.
  70. lmb
    Dec 1, 2013
    Honestly, I can't help but feel like this review is a little biased, but after a great deal of thought I realized that it is, and that is why this movie was doomed to fail from the start. Ender's Game is one of the deepest, most thought provoking books there is, and is a must have for every bookshelf. The problem with an idolized masterpiece such as Ender's Game is that any attempts toHonestly, I can't help but feel like this review is a little biased, but after a great deal of thought I realized that it is, and that is why this movie was doomed to fail from the start. Ender's Game is one of the deepest, most thought provoking books there is, and is a must have for every bookshelf. The problem with an idolized masterpiece such as Ender's Game is that any attempts to re-create it as a motion picture will certainly be compared to the book. As most of us know by now, turning a book into a movie is no easy feat. You have to pick and choose what parts should be in the movie, who should portray the characters, and how to interpret the more abstract parts of the book. Ender's Game is about a boy who's spirit is crushed and who's childhood is extinguished for the good of mankind. The story contains numerous moral dilemmas, most of which don't have an easy answer. All in all, as a movie, Ender's Game was fine. It wasn't great, but it had it's moments and if you haven't read the book then I would advise you to go see it. However, as an avid fan of the book and all it's sequels, I feel like the movie fell victim to the inevitable outcome of not living up to the book's standards. Re-inventing the book as a movie has dented the god-like status that Ender's Game holds, and I feel like they shouldn't have tried in the first place. Expand
  71. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ender's Game, the novel, was thought provoking, philosophically deep, and psychologically amazing. Orson Scott Card brought characters to a level of connection between each other and the reader that few other authors can or will. He also has a wonderful insight to a future that could possibly take place and the minds of people living there.

Ender's Game, the movie brought all this to a 2 hour blockbuster hit that, quite frankly, didn't have anything blockbusting about it. Amazing ship design and man do I wish I could step into the command simulator, but other than that, it was a hollow shell of what it could have possibly been.

Ender didn't have anything special about him. In the novel he was a brilliant 6 year old boy who was a mix of Peter and Valentine, basically a critical and amazingly brutal tactical mind with the loving knowledge and understanding of the enemy. I can give them credit for attempting the bridge through dialogue but little else. In the movie, he was a 15 year old too susceptible to his emotions and nothing stunning about his thought processes.

Bean, while having a mind more brilliant yet less compassionate than Ender, so much so that they had an entire novel about him, was reduced to just another lackey. They might as well left him out for how much they changed him.

Graff, in the novel was a puppeteer mastermind pulling EVERY string behind battle school. In the movie, he's an overly militarized ****

Dap was the bridge between home and battle school, instead he was a drill instructor.

The story was compressed from a 6 year epic to a 1 year laughable story.

So much character development that was left out and changed that it's just another space thriller. The screen writers understood nothing about the book and characters to make this movie. I would rather seen this as a trilogy, including all the character development, thought processes, and reasons for why the characters do what they do than watched what I watched in the theater.
  72. Nov 26, 2013
    I think Ender's Game should've been releasing next year, but since the movie already released it misses the target. I felt that the story is far short (although I love Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield's performance) and just like any YA-wannabe novels like Eragon or The Golden Compass, they don't have a single amount of audience that you want in a entertaining but flawed sci-fi movie. II think Ender's Game should've been releasing next year, but since the movie already released it misses the target. I felt that the story is far short (although I love Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield's performance) and just like any YA-wannabe novels like Eragon or The Golden Compass, they don't have a single amount of audience that you want in a entertaining but flawed sci-fi movie. I don't know why Ender's Game was going to be released November because The Hunger Games: Catching Fire just released on the same month and by the way, Catching Fire breaks box office records, Ender's, however, not so much. I'm afraid there's no other choice than to cancel a sequel to some thought that Ender's Game could be a bigger hit. But then again, I think they must think about their mistakes in the first film. There's no future in Ender's Game and it's another big disappointment of 2013. Expand
  73. Nov 24, 2013
    I has excited to see this movie, and I got to say it did come close to my expectations. The only thing though is that the movie missed out on lots of important things that made the book good. Other than that, I loved it.
  74. Nov 22, 2013
    I have not read the book but I did enjoy the movie quite a bit. Great story, special effects, and visions of our possible future. I will buy this movie when it is available and plan on reading the book when I can.
  75. Nov 20, 2013
    I tried to view this movie in a neutral way, attempting to see it as a story independent from its author, but I couldn't. It was impossible to take the movie's moralizing on the nature of humanity, when the author is an evil, disgusting bigot who openly hates people and advocated for their legal oppression. The author says that people who do not hate gays are like Hitler (ironic...be aI tried to view this movie in a neutral way, attempting to see it as a story independent from its author, but I couldn't. It was impossible to take the movie's moralizing on the nature of humanity, when the author is an evil, disgusting bigot who openly hates people and advocated for their legal oppression. The author says that people who do not hate gays are like Hitler (ironic...be a bigot, or you're acting like the biggest bigot in World History?). when I view the movie, all I can think is...these are the heroes of an evil man, from the mind of a hateful, vile person. It ruined the movie for me. I may not even be able to look at Harrison Ford the same way ever again. Sad, that Sci-fi had to be corrupted this way. Expand
  76. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will start this off with saying that I have not read the book...yet. I found the story compelling, but there was a lack of the perception on time. That did not take away from the movie though. Ender is put through various trials and is forced to make some decisions. Even though the book was written in the 80s (iirc) there is still plenty about the movie that can be applied to modern day society. Some of the issues include bullying and dealing with authority. The ending was almost abrupt, but it makes sense in the end as not even Ender knew that it was going to be the final battle. The movie also brings up the concept of morality, and how one persons victory, could be the shame of another. Now here is the spoiler: Ender is tricked into the final battle with the alien race. After the battle has been won, the higher ups praise Ender for his victory, they call him a hero. Ender on the other hand, once he has realized what has happened, thinks of himself as a killer, and that the shame of the genocide will be on him forever. In the end Ender shows both the ability for compassion and violence, and he knows when to use both.

OVERALL: Great movie that might not have stayed overly true to the book, but I have yet to find that out. I would recommend!
  77. Nov 18, 2013
    Written during the peak anti-Soviet hysteria of the mid '80s, this book and movie still raise important questions for society to discuss. I hadn't read the book in 15 years but I remembered, while watching the movie, why I liked it (and I generally don't read Sci Fi). It's not just a good story about a boy's handling bullying, growing up, finding what makes a good leader, etc. ItWritten during the peak anti-Soviet hysteria of the mid '80s, this book and movie still raise important questions for society to discuss. I hadn't read the book in 15 years but I remembered, while watching the movie, why I liked it (and I generally don't read Sci Fi). It's not just a good story about a boy's handling bullying, growing up, finding what makes a good leader, etc. It also asks us to think about how quick we are to make enemies out of those perceived as different, and to fight rather than do the hard work of trying to understand and communicate, and whether or not it is right to take lives to theoretically deter a future war. For Card to raise those questions in the Reagan anti-Communist era was courageous. Also, the Battle Room was cool! Expand
  78. Nov 17, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. Considering how badly a novelization of this great book could have gone, this was a spectacular job well done. There was a lot of plot and a lot of character and a TON of heart packed into two hours, and it was pulled off surprisingly well. Considering the train wrecks that movie adaptations of bestsellers often turn out to be, Ender's Game was very true to theI really enjoyed this movie. Considering how badly a novelization of this great book could have gone, this was a spectacular job well done. There was a lot of plot and a lot of character and a TON of heart packed into two hours, and it was pulled off surprisingly well. Considering the train wrecks that movie adaptations of bestsellers often turn out to be, Ender's Game was very true to the book. My only criticism is that they dropped the Peter and Valentine subplot. It makes sense if they're not going to do any of the sequel movies, but I felt like Ender's siblings weren't really characters so much as objects to drive the plot.

Overall, my suggestion is, watch this KNOWING that you'll like the book better, and just enjoy it for what it is.
  79. Nov 17, 2013
    A Good Sci-Fi Movie Sticks Close To The Book Excellent SFX, Good Acting, Character Development is Fair, Kinda Loud, I Say It Will Earn A Sequel Or Even A Prequel About Mazor Rackham
  80. Nov 17, 2013
    According to Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game," the story is about a young boy enters a big tournament in outer space. In this version, Gavin Hood (Tsotsi and X-Men Origins: Wolverine) have created his latest film about a brave young boy who enters a space military academy to defeat the alien colony in the galaxy. Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) is the chosen one who uses his gameAccording to Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game," the story is about a young boy enters a big tournament in outer space. In this version, Gavin Hood (Tsotsi and X-Men Origins: Wolverine) have created his latest film about a brave young boy who enters a space military academy to defeat the alien colony in the galaxy. Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) is the chosen one who uses his game techniques to defeat the aliens known as "The Buggers" and he was lead by Colonel Graff (Harrison Ford) who wants Ender to join the space military, so he can defeat the alien warship. In the space military, Ender is training at the huge battle room with his young crew and I would say that how spectacular where the boy was learned in space military in the 3D experience. Ender uses his skills to face those aliens in a big arena of space war and the movie takes a journey where we can see a boy can fight those aliens with his brave ability with emotions, flashbacks, and strong story. Ender's Game is a decent science fiction movie with big entertainment for young teens and children who have read by Mr. Scott Card's novel. The movie has some good acting including Butterfield and Ford, it has some spectacular effects where you can see on 3D, and clever story about a gifted boy can defeat those space invaders in outer space. It reminds me of playing a video game of Wing Commander III by 3DO in 90's. Expand
  81. Nov 15, 2013
    While the story is fairly solid, the whole movie felt a bit rushed. While this is not a sci-fi movie that will go down in history, it is definitely worth a watch.
  82. Nov 15, 2013
    Enders Game offers quite a bit within the confines of its runtime. What really sells it is the performances given and the level of quality from the CGI team involved with the film, who create believable settings of the future. I hadn't read the book beforehand, so my enjoyment may be more than other experiences. So, on its own merits, Enders Game ends up being one of the best Sci-FiEnders Game offers quite a bit within the confines of its runtime. What really sells it is the performances given and the level of quality from the CGI team involved with the film, who create believable settings of the future. I hadn't read the book beforehand, so my enjoyment may be more than other experiences. So, on its own merits, Enders Game ends up being one of the best Sci-Fi action films of the year and is worthy of more praise than some critics would care to offer. Expand
  83. Nov 14, 2013
    This move is a shining example of how to take a book, and turn it into a movie. A director put in charge of moving the creative vision of a writer from the printed word to the visual medium of the big screen has to be very careful not to change the emotional content of the story, while being willing to change the sequence, action, and dialog in order for the story to make a good movie.This move is a shining example of how to take a book, and turn it into a movie. A director put in charge of moving the creative vision of a writer from the printed word to the visual medium of the big screen has to be very careful not to change the emotional content of the story, while being willing to change the sequence, action, and dialog in order for the story to make a good movie. Ender's Game was the height of this art, provoking the same power emotions as the book, staying true to the heart of the characters, all the while taking a complex plot and distilling it down into a 2 hour movie. Well done, sirs, I salute you. Expand
  84. Nov 14, 2013
    this movie adaptation is to awkward to watch really lead actor has no charisma to be a leader The weird shower scene is reminiscent of prison rape. the aliens though not the main focus of the story could have been focused on more. Ender's brother and sister have no story and in the book they were main characters to.
  85. Nov 13, 2013
    Great science fiction movie. Great plot, great acting, terrific screenplay, great special effects. This is a science fiction movie for adults with a brain and a heart. I hope they make a sequel. It is much better than the star wars movies.
  86. Nov 12, 2013
    Maybe because of some have read the book. But I have not read it. I love this movie.
    It's quite hard to bring or represent everything which is in the book into film.

At this moment, I give 10/10 in the view of person which hasn't read the book.
    But I will read them all, and hope it fulfills my management skills lol.
  87. Nov 12, 2013
    I did not read the book, so I cannot comment on the comparison. I went into the film not knowing anything about the story. I thought the movie was compelling visually, but was unoriginal in the story which was too predictable. I'm also looking forward to the day that Hollywood stops creating alien beings that look like gigantic bugs. I also found the soundtrack annoying with the music thatI did not read the book, so I cannot comment on the comparison. I went into the film not knowing anything about the story. I thought the movie was compelling visually, but was unoriginal in the story which was too predictable. I'm also looking forward to the day that Hollywood stops creating alien beings that look like gigantic bugs. I also found the soundtrack annoying with the music that is constantly going on at all times. The acting was fine across the board, but the script needed beefing up so that I cared more about the characters. Expand
  88. Nov 11, 2013
    Enders Game was by no stretch a terrible film. However, it could have been made much better. All of the characters in the tim seemed a bit lifeless, including Asa Butterfield (who plays Ender), who did not seem fit for the protagonist role. Along with the poor casting decisions, the plot that made the original book so critically acclaimed was completely changed, including the entire endingEnders Game was by no stretch a terrible film. However, it could have been made much better. All of the characters in the tim seemed a bit lifeless, including Asa Butterfield (who plays Ender), who did not seem fit for the protagonist role. Along with the poor casting decisions, the plot that made the original book so critically acclaimed was completely changed, including the entire ending of the film! That did not make me happy at all.
    While there are many things wrong with this film, the one thing that they got right were the SFX, which were bright and engaging.
    In the end, this movie could have been made much better if it were not for the poor casting choices and different plot.
  89. Nov 11, 2013
    It is a good movie that was simply a bit rushed. While it is a bit sad that there aren't more scenes from batle school, or a deeper explanation about the ansible, Enders battle school strategy, or the things happening on earth with his siblings, Enders game works well to skim through these parts, and bring the viewer into the more exiting parts of the story, working whith great CGI toIt is a good movie that was simply a bit rushed. While it is a bit sad that there aren't more scenes from batle school, or a deeper explanation about the ansible, Enders battle school strategy, or the things happening on earth with his siblings, Enders game works well to skim through these parts, and bring the viewer into the more exiting parts of the story, working whith great CGI to bring the movie to life and creating all of the epic scenes in the book that those who have read it could only dream of. I hilt recommend reading the original book, not the movie licenced one to get a better understanding of it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's not trash eather so done give it pointless zeros and don't hate it just because some other people are screaming that it sucks on the internet. Expand
  90. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't understand the people slagging this off. It's a really good film. Not quite as good as the book but when are they ever? If you haven't read the book, stay away from any annoying trailers that give it all away and go and see it expecting a powerful story that will slowly unfold into one of the great plot finales of any sci fi story. If you have read the book, be pleasantlyI don't understand the people slagging this off. It's a really good film. Not quite as good as the book but when are they ever? If you haven't read the book, stay away from any annoying trailers that give it all away and go and see it expecting a powerful story that will slowly unfold into one of the great plot finales of any sci fi story. If you have read the book, be pleasantly surprised how this film might twist and turn with some of the elements but under all that, the basic feeling remains the same.

If you can't leave your mobile phone alone for more than two minutes and drink red bull all day and never read a book, this movie isn't for you. But... for those of us who relish quiet time to reflect on life and are secretly a bit nerdy, this film is really worth it.
  91. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First to the critic, Joe Neumaier from New York Daily News, seriously? What are you a disgruntled CoD: Ghosts player reviewing BF4? A zero as in the movie has no redeeming qualities whatsoever? I hope you don't get paid for your reviews, because reading yours was as much of a waste of time as your score was based off your own review even. Back to the movie. A very good adaptation of the book, got it about 90% right. There were some major changes, there was no second invasion where Mazer is in space fighting them with a small reserve fleet--they went with him piloting a F-22 Raptor which makes no real sense, but still defeating the Formics in the same manner. In 50 years we went from F-22's to interstellar travel? They went way further out of the solar system than they should have (should have been on the asteroid Eros) for command school and compressed how he got the queen egg as well. They also only had one "little doctor" device, but plenty of other capable firepower. Not enough at all to say "they ruined it", but enough to go, why did they change it? Technical limitations are not the answer, I mean they cranked the CGI to MAXIMUM. It is a beautiful movie with amazing effects. So that is an unknown, why the changes that is. Regardless the movie still works and in some ways even better so with the emotional aspects of the story. I felt bad for Ender, really bad, and I have read the book once as a kid and a couple times as an adult. It plants the moral dilemma right in your lap. How do you deal with a bully? You beat them so bad they never even think about trying to hurt you again. How do you deal with an alien invasion fleet that you can't reason with, just as you can't a bully? You wipe them from existence. But at what cost? The complete wrecking of a child's mind? And as a person or a child defending against a bully by beating them so bad they never fight you again, what do you cost yourself? Is the permanent change in your personality worth it? Just as in the book, the film answers with a resounding yes. The enemy's gate is down, and he must be destroyed, because in the end it is your or them. Yet you are left with sympathy and pain for having to do it. "‘In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him." You love him yet you destroy them anyways. Having read the book, once the credits started me and my wife got up to leave. The crowd was not huge (3rd weekend playing, matinee, only about 25 of us) yet they seemed shell-shocked. No one besides us was moving, at all. Did they expect an extra scene? Well there weren't any to see and I don't think so. I think their brains were still trying to grasp the total destruction xenocide they witnessed and trying to process the moral dilemmas that Orson Scott Card masterfully presented in 1985. Which is also why this movie is not a "zero" as that idiotic critic rated it, but a very solid 9/10. Expand
  92. Nov 11, 2013
    Painfully slow, predictable and boring. Like watching a screen-saver or someone else playing wing-commander for two hours. Not recommended. Haven't read the book, but if it is anything like the movie it can't be very good.
  93. Nov 10, 2013
    Worst book to movie adaptation I've ever seen. I guess if you haven't read the book you have a much better time of enjoying it, but they thoroughly butchered it that's for sure. Easily should have been a 3+ hour movie so much is rushed through terribly. And what is with all the random alterations to some scenes that added zero to the storyline? So dumb.
  94. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All i have to say is PLOT HOLES, PLOT HOLES, PLOT HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many lazy short cuts taken in this movie, like throwing random voice overs in to deliver story.

I knew they were going to change some things from the book but damn, they destroyed this story. First off, they made Ender a whiney little made Anderson a woman, completely changed the beginning of the story, they turned Peter into a whiney about how he wasn't chosen, they just throw in random ass dialogue trying to explain the giant plot holes they kinda skipped Holy this is terrible who's idea was it to say "lets put Bean on the same shuttle as Ender and skip like 3 years of the story", Dap is a complete apparently instead of the "mom" he was supposed to be in the novel, apparently they are studying Mazer, oh the battle room guns apparently freeze you even outside the battleroom, dont even get me started on the battle room and the stars, LMFAO apparently the enemies gate is down?!! when they dont even know about the game or what the damn guns do! Apparently Bernard and Alia aren't friends, Shen doesn't exist in the movie, neither does Locke or Demosthenes, Ender is apparently some wise ass who talks back to the commanders.... ok so i just turned the movie off at the Giants Drink part... this movie is just to terrible to watch anymore
  95. Nov 10, 2013
    I thought the movie was very good. I understood all the missing scenes. I wish there were more battle school scenes. It seemed a bit rushed. Overall though, it was very good.
  96. Nov 10, 2013
    For any film fanatic that also happens to be an Orson Scott Card fan, Ender’s Game was the type of film that warranted the hanging of a calendar on the wall and blacking out the days until the film's November 1st release date. I was this excited for months about the film, and yes, I saw it opening night. But after having seen it, I say with dismay that although the admission may not haveFor any film fanatic that also happens to be an Orson Scott Card fan, Ender’s Game was the type of film that warranted the hanging of a calendar on the wall and blacking out the days until the film's November 1st release date. I was this excited for months about the film, and yes, I saw it opening night. But after having seen it, I say with dismay that although the admission may not have been a total waste of money, it may have been better spent on a few drinks at a bar, or on a Shake Shack dinner (for the non- drinkers). I was just so unexpectedly un-enthralled that I’m still in shock.

The film opens with Ender Wiggin as his parent’s third child in a world where thirds are not highly regarded, yet a prestigious military school’s administrators monitor Ender’s life via hidden cameras, and through this observation witness the potential genius within Ender. But whatever they notice, it is not shown to the audience.

Nonetheless Ender leaves his family behind to study at this elite training school where plans are secretly being made; Ender will train to become the next great commander of the Earth fleet. While at battle school Ender meets the legendary Mazer Rackham, a famous Maori warrior whom singlehandedly defeated the aliens previously, when they attacked Earth. Rackham’s job now is to mentor Ender, to prepare him for the greatest battle of his life.

Director Hood’s rendition of Ender’s Game does just adequate justice to the original plot of the book. I pined for a grittier, R-rated Prometheus or District 9-ish kind of rendition, and instead I got something related more to Will Smith’s Independence Day.

There were no gaps left in the timeline of the film, gaps necessary to explain how Ender could possibly have become a fleet commander at all. As Director Hood portrays it, the audience sees Ender go from cadet to commander overnight, almost literally. No human past, present, or future, (not even Ender) could pull that off.

Blasé scenes are followed by descriptions of grandeur that made me wonder if I had just watched the same scene as the military commanders. In front of a group of new recruits Ender is praised by Officer Graff (Harrison Ford) for his intelligence, a set-up for later peer torment? But the intelligence Ender shows here is hardly praiseworthy. It’s just a smart-alecky remark about zero gravity. Later, when Ender is confronted by a gang of boys, whom he ends up defeating, the fight is not convincing, yet again, administrators swoon. This type of device, apathetic scene followed by glorious praise occurs over and over throughout the film. Descriptions of awe are purveyed when no actual awe has taken place.

Asa Butterfield's unmoving performance is largely responsible for the film’s failure. He is not a convincing Ender, and so all his examples of greatness seem staged. Every time Ender does something “miraculous” and is praised for it, it’s reminiscent of the medieval age; a king’s steward dolloping out praise at every instance to keep his majesty satisfied. Harrison Ford is also pretty terrible. Come to think of it, pretty much all the acting, except Ben Kinglsey’s is bad.

Errata: Ender spends significant amounts of time whining about the administration blocking his email account. What does this have to do with the plot? Nothing. Since when do starships send and receive email? They don’t. There’s ansible technology in this world people! (machines capable of instantaneous or superluminal communication) Starships are way past “email.”

Overall, I’d say Ender’s Game was only kind of bad, but it so totally not awesome.

PS- I love that some people have rated this film as a zero. That is awesome!
  97. Nov 10, 2013
    Disappointing after reading the splendid written book! Watching the movie, I've felt like they've just gone from one milestone to the other, while adding some trendy 'mushy feeling'. And the end... oh, they've altered it! No spoilers, but the book is so much better, it was frustrating watching the movie.
  98. Nov 10, 2013
    The book was better, but you can't make a film with a book that is 4 years long. I can't complain about that, this is how every adaptation are made, they cut "useless" parts. Visual effects were really great.
  99. Nov 10, 2013
    Movie tries to be as close as possible to the book, and fails. Book is about psychology, character development, and tactics, which does not translate well to an action movie, especially if there's a lot of it. And without reading the book first, I doubt you'd understand half of what's going on there.
  100. Nov 9, 2013
    Initially, I set the bar pretty low assuming this was adapted as children's film and I'm glad I was surprised. The film had a a great VFX Supervisor but not a great director. Despite the fact that most will watch this film because Harrison Ford's in it (and this role really suits him great), the lead actor had no screen presence nor any charisma whatsoever. Rule #1 in casting: the audienceInitially, I set the bar pretty low assuming this was adapted as children's film and I'm glad I was surprised. The film had a a great VFX Supervisor but not a great director. Despite the fact that most will watch this film because Harrison Ford's in it (and this role really suits him great), the lead actor had no screen presence nor any charisma whatsoever. Rule #1 in casting: the audience must always be engaged and captivated by your lead actor. Asa Butterfield was nowhere close to that, although he acted well enough...Director Gavin Wood and the producers' team should be the ones to blame here since they repeated the same one-dimensional plot with most sci-fi films and lacked an original presentation and connection. Overall though, this is an amazing spectacle to watch, but nothing more... Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 2, 2013
    I can understand wanting to skip Ender’s Game as a matter of moral principle, but you can also feel free to blow it off just because it’s not that good.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 2, 2013
    Ender’s Game is a blandly sanitized spectacle.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Nov 2, 2013
    Straightforward, a bit literal-minded, very faithful to the book and largely compelling.