7.5

1. Jan 26, 2011
    At times I felt like Smith was trying to be Denzel, but one I got past that Enemy of the State is one heck of a good thriller. I love Smith but am so used to seeing Denzel doing a Scott movie that it felt like this movie was more meant for him and had a hard time giving Will a chance. Yet I pushed forward and after about 10 minutes began to enjoy the comedic aspects that Smith brought to the screen (something Zel wouldn't have brought). The plot and the movie move along at a blistering pace but still allow for character growth which makes Enemy of the State a true classic in the thriller genre. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2014
    Runaway films have been mesmerizing movie goers for years, but this film right here is the king of all runaway films. This is, by far, Tony Scott's best film. It is an action thriller that grabs and holds your gut from beginning to end and never lets go.

The social criticism is as unforced as the humor (and the references to "The Conversation") in this 1998 conspiracy thriller, whose spirited action is balanced by an almost contemplative attitude toward surveillance phobias and the movie cliches they've spawned.
  2. Reviewed by: Ron Wells
    The strong parts are the rip-offs of "The Conversation." The worst part is the lack of understandable character motivations.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    The picture is solidly crafted, performed to the hilt and full of humor.