• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Mar 14, 2014
6.8

1. Mar 23, 2014
    Pure nonsense and garbage. It made no sense to me and people in the theater turned to me at the end to ask me what the hell it meant. I then turned to someone else who had no clue as well. I did not understand the spiders at all and the filming was dreary. A real waste of film and Jake G must be getting a big head if he thinks we are buying into this type of cheap bs. I didn't walk out because it wasn't long enough to walk out on. Spiders my ass. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2014
    I wasn´t expecting to like this movie that much, amazing plot and great acting .
  3. May 4, 2014
    One of the strangest and creepiest movies ive seen. While some people don't like unclear endings that are left up to the viewer to decide/decipher I absolutely love them. Never have I walked away from a movie in such deep thought and reflection on what ive seen. Gyllenhaal also gives what may be his best ever performance in this years best movie so far.
  4. May 1, 2014
    Even if I didn'y liked previously movies from Denis Villeneuve (which was Prisoners), Enemy is so much different that I'm really confused by final meaning of this movie. Great acting from Jake Gyllenhaal and great using of symbols makes very good movie.
  5. Jul 23, 2014
    Yes, I've read all of the existential crap about this movie. Non-linear. Chaos not yet organized. Etc. Etc. This was a film full of tiresome people doing illogical things. Accomplishing absolutely nothing. Thought provoking? Yes -- I thought this film was pompous trash.
  6. Apr 24, 2014
    I think this is one of those movies that people praise because they didn't understand it. They're afraid of being perceived as missing some deep artistic statement so they pretend. The movie is a failure.
    Here's how it went for me. The fist 30 minutes or so were a complete bore. Then suddenly it started to intrigue me and I though it might turn out to me a good movie. I was
    wrong. It slowly fizzled away to nothing and then abruptly ended. I was left with the distinct feeling that the film was originally meant to be something other than what was on the reels of film come the end of the shoot. And that rather than eat crow they edited together what they could and tried to pass it off as a third rate David Lynch Film.
    The movie is an exercise in pretension where the talent of the writers failed to meet their own vision (if there ever was one)
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    A engrossing thriller on how deep and endless our minds truly are. As Villeneuve put it bluntly, if you like the sound of "A look into Jake Gyllenhaal's Subconscious", you should check Enemy out.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    Dimly lit, all beiges and browns, makes Toronto look like a dingy slumland. Too much borrowing from Naked Lunch and French art film, with long studies of thoughtful/frustrated/puzzled/sad Jake G, and not enough plot to follow. What person is not curious to meet their doppelgänger? Seems like Adam Bell got cold feet right away, and many of his reactions were questionable. Some red herrings (watch for a recurring photo) and predictable manipulative behaviour from Anthony Claire as the "evil twin". Or maybe he wasn't... If Denis Villeneuve wanted people to talk about the film, then he will be getting his wish, but not in a good way. I will be advising friends to avoid, avoid, avoid. At least some Canadian film crew got work; that's the only rationale for my score of 2. Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2014
    You have to be kidfing!! Never wrote a review about a movie before but had to warn those thinking about seeing this movie. Do not waste your money! I am shocked that the lesd actor associated his name to this piece of junk!
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    Enemy is a beautifully shot, Very well acted and directed film about the mind of the subconscious, And the haunting imagery of spiders lingering other the city of Toronto, Captivating, Edge of your seat, Enemy is a incredible unforgettable film.
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    One hell of a movie - the type of movie that gets me fired up to go to the theater. I'll simply call out the sickly yellow muck of the Toronto skyline as so effective. Loved it. And one critic suggested that the final shot is possibly the scariest he's ever seen in a film - I might have to agree.
  12. Jun 18, 2014
    Waste of time. The story goes nowhere, I felt nothing. It tries to break the monotony of the very bland and very boring "double personality / look alike / twin" themed scenes by adding some random creepiness (and over acting, and crying, and drama in scenes that do not warrant it) that never succeeds, then it tries to be mysterious by waving some spider imagery here and there, but there is no symbolism or depth to any of it. Just a bland, gimmicky movie that goes nowhere. Expand
  13. Mar 26, 2014
    Because this is such a polarizing film is the reason you need to see this. Prepare yourself, you will be thinking about this long after it's done. And might like it even more the second-viewing, which it's worth. Everything does make sense, as the director has stated, when it's given context. The opening line on the screen is: "Chaos is order undeciphered", so you know not everything is going to be spelled out to you in linear form (i.e. beginning, middle, end). It's moody (incredible photography, score) harkens back to great noirs and reminds me of The Game as directed by Cronenberg. Loved the underlining premise of fear and it's power over man's every decision. Expand
  14. Jul 19, 2014
    ENEMY is Denis Villeneuve’s back-to-back psychological drama with PRISONER (2013, 8/10), treads the water of a doppelgänger sub-genre, it is a neatly gripping head-scratcher hoisted by its jaw-dropping anti-climax (literally the flabbergasted final scene), and confidently beckons for repeated viewings, running succinctly within 90 minutes, Villeneuve knows how to play his game perfectly.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    The whole movie looks like it was shot through smog. There's too many holes in the premise. Yes, there's a twist at the end but getting there is definitely not half the fun. Or any fun at all. Nothing to recommend this film at all.
  16. Jun 19, 2014
    The movie is 3/4 over before you get past what the trailer reveals. The ending is predictable and more the sort of thing you'd see in a farce, one of those Comedy of Errors inspired comedies about twins, with violence tossed in. The very last few seconds, however, where surreality enters the picture, make no sense on any level whatsoever except that it was a reverse Kafka visual pun. Just stupid. A horrendously dull and plodding and unimaginative movie. Expand
  17. Aug 8, 2014
    I am surprised at the mixed response to this one from the audience, but I really liked Enemy. It was unique, weird, and incredibly confusing, but that is what makes it fun at the end of the day. I love films that leave you wondering, "What the hell did I just watch?" and this one fits the bill to a t. Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal here as Adam Bell and Anthony Claire. He plays these two different, but very similar men brilliantly and is able to switch between the two at the drop of a hat, which is really cool to watch. In addition, it is gorgeously filmed. I loved the lighting at night and, on top of that, the shots during the day are also very beautiful. It truly is eye candy. It also functions great as a psychological thriller as, even though it slow going in the beginning, when it kicks into high gear, you are left wondering "Wtf wtf wtf wtf" as events unfold. This was one of my most anticipated films of 2014 and now that I have finally been able to see it, it does not disappoint at all. I have no idea what any of it means, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this one will benefit from repeat viewings. Expand
  18. Aug 16, 2014
    Decent, thought-provoking movie with not much substance. Some nudity, some cursing, and a lot of confusion and thinking. I'm sure the concept was great (maybe as a book or screenplay), but as a movie it didn't really work.
    In summary, rent if you want, but don't buy unless you absolutely love the movie. It reminded me of another B-movie with Jake Gyllenhall: Source Code. So if you liked
    that, you might like this. Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2014
    Whoever watched the movie 'Prisoners' will definitely expect like the much mount Everest, because it was the next feature film from the same director. Which will also lead to disappointment for the majority because it was detached from entertainment in the far distance. You can call it an art movie, but the materials used for the story were somehow stronger. I mean for the grown ups and especially for a man with patience. It deal about a middle aged man and his world of desires towards sex and irresponsibility in the life he lives.

It was adapted from a novel called 'The Double'. Looks like the title was not available then changed it to 'Enemy'. Not a bad title either, but slightly misleads especially after watcher 'Prisoners'. Adam is a history professor and his life is a less joyous. His mother is worried about him for being careless. One day by chance he discovers something while watching a movie that knocks his inner consciousness. He begins to give more interest on it and prepare to solve the mystery. The venture he's after is supposed to take place smoothly, but it didn't. Hits back to his life and scatters the pieces of his own identity.

‘‘Never know how your day
    is gonna turn out.’’

I must make you understand that it was like a jigsaw puzzle. The story just happens and it won't expose completely with proper description. Like the outer layer of a fruit, but inside there are lots of stuffs to figure it out by ourselves. If you are a smart enough, you will sketch your own conclusion by joining the pieces. For that you may need to watch twice. Revealing my opinion may end in spoiler, but wanted to say that the story was programmed to handle a man's irresponsibility and desire. Both were symbolically exposed its identity and rest of the things leaves for the audience to observe closely, otherwise you will miss the important point.

I yet to watch 'The Double', the description kind of match to this. Nowadays this thing keeps happening frequently like recently ones 'Olympus Has Fallen' and 'White House Down'. Anyway, Jake Gyllenhaal was awesome in this movie. Almost 90 per cent of the movie frames had captured his presence. Without a doubt its a one man show. He's becoming a great personality in Hollywood, but it was not a Hollywood flick. Finally, one more time I will remind you that it is not a piece of cake for everyone, choose it if you are not preferring entertainment.
  20. Jun 12, 2014
    Why was everything so dark? I mean, literally dark. I never understand why they don't flick the lights on. Anyway, Enemy is a Kafkaesque psychological something that didn't quite impress me. In fact, with such an idea, the double, which is not really anything new (it all probably heralds to Dostoevskij's novel rather than Saramago), with the immediate dreariness it may cause, one could have created the masterpiece of thrillers. But no, we have no such thing here. Expand
  21. Oct 7, 2014
    I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen for the entire movie. The tone was even and powerful throughout, the intrigue didn't let up for a scene or a second, the score and the composition were supremely complimentary. I saw the trailer and knew I wanted to see this movie and I can assure you that there's a lot more going on here than that teaser would have you think. This is a movie that will leave you anxious and hungry for an explanation. There are a lot of great discussions on the film's meaning and I think it's pretty subjective. This is a movie that unapologetically breaks the template of contemporary film expectations. You haven't seen anything like this, you likely won't again and comparing it to anything else would be a stretch. Expand
  22. May 24, 2014
    This movie is one of the best movies of 2014. However it isn't for everyone. This is not the traditional linear story line in movies that contain beginning, middle, and end. I can understand if someone dislikes this movie. This movie leaves a lot to interpretation, and the ending may make people say, "What the **** Though this movie made me confused, going online and looking at theories makes me appreciate the movie more. Performances are great with Jake Gyllenhaal as both Adam and Anthony being the star of it. The cinematography is beautiful and the score very eerie. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  23. Jul 14, 2014
    Bizarre yet intriguing, Enemy is somewhat enjoyable, but ultimately succumbs to an unexplainably abrupt ending, which leaves viewers questioning the entire film.
  24. Apr 11, 2014
    "Enemy" is a psychological, min-bending 87 mins, with masterful crafting and flexibility & Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a solid, fascinating performance that promises more to come. It is a must see!
  25. May 11, 2014
    Es una pelicula que te puede hacer pensar mucho de que trata o por que pasan las cosas que ves, pero que te llega a entretener actuaciones muy buenas. dejando que cada persona saque sus conclusiones de la trama.
  26. May 23, 2014
    Enemy comes across as someone's nightmare. There are a few WTF moments, especially at the end, which elevate the film to another level. Gyllenhaal is great in this and becoming a "go to" actor for sci-fi.
  27. chw
    Aug 1, 2014
    Enemy was quite strange. After watching Prisoners, I expected more from this (because of the same director), but this movie could've been a Coen brothers movie, since their style is out there...
  28. Mar 17, 2014
    Slow as molasses, filmed in a kind of sepia, depressing and with a completely unexplainable, illogical and strange end, leaving people saying "that's it?". Loved Villeneuve's previous films, hated this.
  29. Jun 2, 2014
    An amazing movie. It made me feel and think. It leads the viewer down a dark and curious path. And the feeling stays with you as you think about the movie for days afterwords. This is art. It is not for people looking for an anesthesia in the form of mindless action-comedy. Most amazingly it makes Mississauga look fascinating and mysterious.
  30. Jul 11, 2014
    Enemy was a boring movie. I watch the movie because of JG but I was disappointed. It was nonsense! Just waiting time. I wonder what did the director want to say by such a presentation? What is the meaning of the spider at the end? About two hours of my life fell into a garbage!
  31. Jul 20, 2014
    Spoiler Alert!!!

The only reason I rated this movie a 1 instead of a 0 is because it had enough allure to trick me into watching the whole thing... although I did fast forward through 50% of it as it was toooooo slow. I kept feeling the urge to turn up the brightness on my TV because it was so dark. However, I loved the idea of the movie - a guy meets his own doppelganger &
    interesting things could pursue. However, when you think something interesting or dramatic is going to happen, it just falls flat instead. They have so many opportunities to create a passionate or fascinating scene, but choose to go with watered down drudgery instead. WHY? Then, at the end, it's as if they can't muster up a real ending to this one-way street to Boringville, so they just randomly decide to throw in a gigantic spider to eat the pregnant chic (but you don't even get to SEE IT happen... zzzzz). The End. I thought this was the worst movie ever... until I watched Under the Skin... even worse! Expand
  32. Aug 15, 2014
    Silent but Deadly this film is unique, great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal the plot is scattered around like a puzzle in desperate need for an intelligent audience to solve it.
  33. Sep 23, 2014
    his is not your traditional beginning, middle, and end story. The film has a non-linear element of story-telling, making it unique and unpredictable. People will be split on their feelings of "Enemy," those who are willing to sit through a very slow paced and simple story may or may not be rewarded with an abstract puzzle that awaits to be deciphered. I did appreciate the slow paced build-up, yet was a bit disappointed at the amount of plot closure the film gave us. French-Canadian director, Denis Villeneuve's use of intense sounds and music with summer blockbuster-like camera shots contrasted greatly with the slow character driven and psychologically oriented story. It seemed as if the director was unsure of what kind of a movie he was making. The screenplay was very simple, yet very complicated, and that is greatly credited to Jake Gyllenhaal's performance, or should I say performances? The Toronto skyline setting added a suspenseful and ghost-town atmosphere to the movie, which is peculiar as Toronto is a loud and busy metropolis in reality. But perhaps the film is trying to convey that nothing is as it seems. Although Villeneuve chooses to not leave behind answers to creepy crawling questions, he gives you just enough tools to answer them yourself. Expand
  34. Oct 20, 2014
    Intriugued til the ending..... Helen leaves the room and turns into a giant spider? Is she supposed to be a black widow? I love Jake G. but this pic left me disappointed.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Mar 27, 2014
    Enemy is what might happen if someone let Terrence Malick make a "Twilight Zone" episode, with a quick rewrite by David Cronenberg.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Mar 27, 2014
    The movie, however, is the sort of picture in which people run around doing everything except the most logical thing to do, because that’s the only way to keep the nonsensical plot spinning.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 21, 2014
    Movies about doubles are, almost by definition, creepy, but Villeneuve, not to be outdone, piles on the weirdness. He’s big on spider imagery, but the web is flimsy.