Enemy

• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Mar 14, 2014
7.5

1. Jun 12, 2014
    Why was everything so dark? I mean, literally dark. I never understand why they don't flick the lights on. Anyway, Enemy is a Kafkaesque psychological something that didn't quite impress me. In fact, with such an idea, the double, which is not really anything new (it all probably heralds to Dostoevskij's novel rather than Saramago), with the immediate dreariness it may cause, one couldWhy was everything so dark? I mean, literally dark. I never understand why they don't flick the lights on. Anyway, Enemy is a Kafkaesque psychological something that didn't quite impress me. In fact, with such an idea, the double, which is not really anything new (it all probably heralds to Dostoevskij's novel rather than Saramago), with the immediate dreariness it may cause, one could have created the masterpiece of thrillers. But no, we have no such thing here. Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2014
    Bizarre yet intriguing, Enemy is somewhat enjoyable, but ultimately succumbs to an unexplainably abrupt ending, which leaves viewers questioning the entire film.
  3. Dec 30, 2014
    Not nearly as bold as Villeneuve's Prisoners from last year, Enemy rests on another hefty performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. Villeneuve proves once more that his craft is unique and thought provoking; however, more symbolic and deep than necessary.
  4. Aug 16, 2014
    Decent, thought-provoking movie with not much substance. Some nudity, some cursing, and a lot of confusion and thinking. I'm sure the concept was great (maybe as a book or screenplay), but as a movie it didn't really work.
    In summary, rent if you want, but don't buy unless you absolutely love the movie. It reminded me of another B-movie with Jake Gyllenhall: Source Code. So if you liked that, you might like this.
  5. Dec 29, 2014
    Solid acting aside, there simply is not much to offer here. What plot the movie has is compelling, but it's never really fully explored and delivered at a frustratingly slow pace. The film's artistic values are too difficult to decipher, leaving me to assume that it probably made much more sense in the writer's head.
  6. May 11, 2014
    Es una pelicula que te puede hacer pensar mucho de que trata o por que pasan las cosas que ves, pero que te llega a entretener actuaciones muy buenas. dejando que cada persona saque sus conclusiones de la trama.
  7. Feb 13, 2016
    It was thrilling to watch until the ending provides so little payoff you look for a deeper meaning, but, in the end, no matter how hard you think, nothing will make sense of this film. It is a 4/10 for being well-acted and captivating, but ultimately fails to reward the viewer with any discernible coherency after force feeding the audience a metaphor of a conclusion.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jan 15, 2015
    Does it add up to much? Not really. Not finally. But it’s a suggestive puzzle-box of a picture, worth turning over in your palm.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Jan 9, 2015
    Gyllenhaal is engaged and engaging in Denis Villeneuve’s adventure in psychological surrealism: let’s hope they stay friends.
  3. Reviewed by: Patrick Gamble
    Jan 8, 2015
    Choosing to focus more time on the uncoordinated instinctual trends of the subconscious rather than the moralising role of the cognisant, Enemy lacks the humanity to relate to on an emotional level, ultimately tempering the brooding anxiety and distilling our intrigue into mild curiosity towards the oblique narrative rather than fostering the original menace into something more substantial.