7.7

1. Sep 20, 2013
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus is REALLY good in this movie. She dials back the extreme version of herself that she trots out for Veep (which I also enjoy) and shows a vulnerable side which is touching. Gandolfini is solid and serves his purpose, but it's not his movie. Keener also goes through the motions here and does her standard nice work. I want to call out Ben Falcone, who is hilarious in thisJulia Louis-Dreyfus is REALLY good in this movie. She dials back the extreme version of herself that she trots out for Veep (which I also enjoy) and shows a vulnerable side which is touching. Gandolfini is solid and serves his purpose, but it's not his movie. Keener also goes through the motions here and does her standard nice work. I want to call out Ben Falcone, who is hilarious in this film, and the greenlighters need to put him in a starring role. Expand
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    “Enough Said” stars James Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Catherine Keener and Toni Collette in this beautifully written and directed story of two middle aged divorced people who attempt to pursue a relationship during what is admittedly a difficult time in each of their respective lives. Television stars who transition to the big screen typically have difficulty shedding the image their“Enough Said” stars James Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Catherine Keener and Toni Collette in this beautifully written and directed story of two middle aged divorced people who attempt to pursue a relationship during what is admittedly a difficult time in each of their respective lives. Television stars who transition to the big screen typically have difficulty shedding the image their small screen roles have imposed upon them and the longer the series runs, the more of a problem it becomes. Jason Alexander will always be “George” in spite of his many efforts to leave that image behind. So, it is an awesome experience to watch Mr..Gandolfini, and Ms. Louis-Dreyfus successfully depart from their “Tony Soprano” and “Elaine” personas and portray totally different characters. Much of this success belongs to Ms. Nicole Hofofcener who wrote and directed this delightful film. There is the expected humor but, more than that, the film delves deeply into the mid-life crises each of the characters faces and the sensitivity of the writing is equal to the humor it evokes; a delicate balance indeed. The viewing experience is, of course, bitter sweet as one remembers the sad fact that Mr. Gandolfini is no longer with us and that this versatile and gifted actor left us much too soon with a body of work yet to be completed. I give this film an 8 and recommend it to all who enjoy a quality film. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2013
    Nicole Holofcener has built a career in films, exploring the relationships of certain microcosms of individuals, where at the center, there's always a heroine who is seemingly displaced or out of contact with the reality that surrounds her. In this case, Eva is the heroine, who is charming and funny, but who hides her heart and feelings behind that sharp wit and humor. Albert is very muchNicole Holofcener has built a career in films, exploring the relationships of certain microcosms of individuals, where at the center, there's always a heroine who is seemingly displaced or out of contact with the reality that surrounds her. In this case, Eva is the heroine, who is charming and funny, but who hides her heart and feelings behind that sharp wit and humor. Albert is very much like her: a man who suffered through a divorce, and is trying to live his life quietly, hanging on to his only daughter and who embraces this relationship with joy and a possibility of finding happiness. The film allows the actors to flush out these characters, and is filled with humor and a genuine sense of wonder and tenderness between two people who are emotionally bruised. The cast is uniformly fantastic: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Catherine Keener, Toni Collette and Ben Falcone. It's a surprise seeing Gandolfini playing a part that is so grounded and where he's so vulnerable and ultimately real.
    A lovely film worth watching.
  4. Sep 2, 2014
    I'm biased towards the greatness of Julia Louis-Dreyfus--but it's hard to deny the unexpected genius brought forth from Nicole Holofcener. Holofcener's has had decent and iffy films for many years now, it's good to know she's found her mark.
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    With likable actors playing equally likable characters it makes for a nice movie. It has an easygoing pace that never really takes off, but it doesn't really hinder the film.
  6. Oct 1, 2013
    Teddy bear Albert (James Gandolfini) and a lady with a sense of humor Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) are in their 50s and both bring a lot of ‘baggage’ to their relationship when they meet. It is their softness and funniness that make “Enough Said” a film full of laughs and tears. The fact that this is one of Gandolfini’s last performances adds an unintended sadness but doesn’t take away fromTeddy bear Albert (James Gandolfini) and a lady with a sense of humor Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) are in their 50s and both bring a lot of ‘baggage’ to their relationship when they meet. It is their softness and funniness that make “Enough Said” a film full of laughs and tears. The fact that this is one of Gandolfini’s last performances adds an unintended sadness but doesn’t take away from the fun both leads are having with each other.

Both Eva and Albert are divorced and have a child ready to leave the nest with Eva’s daughter Ellen (Tracey Fairway) and his daughter Tess (Eve Hewson) both heading away from home to go to school. Her ex has remarried and his hasn’t and the latter becomes the fly in the ointment.

In spite of faults that his ex-wife may see in Albert he has a natural charisma that charms Eva and they begin seeing each, naturally falling into bed and having sex, after their initial meeting at a party. At that same party she is introduced to a poet, Marianne. (Catherine Keener), who becomes one of Eva’s customers--she is a masseuse--and they become close friends which gives Marianne the chance to dump on her ex. At about the same time Eva and the audience realize the she is talking about Albert. At the beginning of the relationship Eva confides in Sarah (Toni Collette) about what a good. nice guy Albert is only to hear her change her mind about him the longer she knows Marianne. At one point, after they had been on a date with Sarah and her husband Albert tells Eva he feels as if he has been on a date with his ex-wife. Eva has a couple of times when she can mention Marianne but neglects to purposely.

Gandolfini and Louis-Dreyfus, with the help of director and screenwriter Nicole Holofcener, and the rest of the cast, raise this romantic comedy about middle age relationships way above norm. There are many laughs, and a few tears, along with a look at real life helping you forget that this is what would be considered an ‘old’ couple to many but, also, helps you see Gandolfini as a performer with many varied roles ahead only to lose them before his time.

This is definitely a feel good better than average romantic comedy.
  7. Sep 29, 2013
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolflini are excellent in this movie. Ben Falcone is great too. The movie is touching, comical and romantic. I loved it. Both main characters are gentle souls and really seem made for each other; their on-screen chemistry is amazing.
  8. Oct 30, 2013
    A well written and engagingly funny film in which a very good performance from Julia Louis-Dreyfus sees her dating James Gandolfini at the same time as unknowingly befriending his ex-wife. The screenplay brings out the bitter and the sweet and is recognisably true in capturing those small and awkward moments moments that really do happen in real life. Supporting characters add to the funA well written and engagingly funny film in which a very good performance from Julia Louis-Dreyfus sees her dating James Gandolfini at the same time as unknowingly befriending his ex-wife. The screenplay brings out the bitter and the sweet and is recognisably true in capturing those small and awkward moments moments that really do happen in real life. Supporting characters add to the fun and the whole thing is a delight. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2014
    From the director who always portray women's perspective of stories. Sadly, it was one of the final movie of James Gandolfini. He just came and go in his movie that I did not noticed him till 'Welcome to the Riley'. I praised his performance in that flick and again he was so great in this movie, I totally impressed. This movie is about the divorced parents and their second chance toFrom the director who always portray women's perspective of stories. Sadly, it was one of the final movie of James Gandolfini. He just came and go in his movie that I did not noticed him till 'Welcome to the Riley'. I praised his performance in that flick and again he was so great in this movie, I totally impressed. This movie is about the divorced parents and their second chance to commit in a relationship. Very nicely and realistically told story which had plenty of humor.

Eva, a middle aged single mother who works as a masseuse meets a divorced man, Albert at a party. It all starts as a casual meeting, then they begin to find similarities. Especially whose first marriage was broke and now they regret for that. So cautiously move their relationship to the next level who are desperately looking to work it out. In the end, every relationship got faults and how they are going to keep it going patching all the flaws is what the story explains.

‘‘I know this sounds corny... But you broke my heart.’’

I found it so good. When there are no popular actors, then it must be a B movie or television movie, but in this case it is hard to differentiate. It was top class in all the category. A specially made flick for middle aged people. It was a romantic-comedy, but make us contemplate back to our life. The lead pair was excellent together, perhaps chemistry between them worked out. This kind of low budget with not so popular actors won't do great commercial business, but get appreciated in a small circle gives a fine support for future similar projects.

Beside Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus as well enchanted with her spellbind performance. She can make a good actress with story like this than being only a television star. She's not too far from taking a fine position like what Julia Roberts, and others doing now. I would love to see her again in a major flicks. This movie is not for everyone and I don't think teens (not every teen) would enjoy it than adults. It speaks about the life, the modern life crisis who faced divorce unintentionally. In one word, it is a beautiful portrait.
  10. Sep 20, 2013
    It’s at this fine-grained observation of human folly that Holofcener excels, without ever abandoning her compassion for her wayward, fumbling characters. A subplot about Eva’s best friend’s inability to fire her housekeeper gestures, a bit too obliquely, at social satire (Holofcener’s last two films, Friends With Money and Please Give, dealt more explicitly with matters of class and socialIt’s at this fine-grained observation of human folly that Holofcener excels, without ever abandoning her compassion for her wayward, fumbling characters. A subplot about Eva’s best friend’s inability to fire her housekeeper gestures, a bit too obliquely, at social satire (Holofcener’s last two films, Friends With Money and Please Give, dealt more explicitly with matters of class and social mobility). But I appreciate that this movie doesn’t make us choose between context-based character humor and snappy romantic banter—instead, it provides both in great bounty. Elaine Benes and Tony Soprano may seem an unlikely pairing, but Louis-Dreyfus and Gandolfini make strangely persuasive bedfellows—in fact, they’re one of the most impossible-not-to-root-for on-screen couples in recent memory. Gandolfini, by all accounts, was a gentle, modest, and sensitive man who felt emotionally depleted by the violent, dark roles he was generally called on to play in the wake of The Sopranos. Here, we get a glimpse of the second career he could have had as a light comedic heartthrob. That it won’t ever come to be is only one of countless reasons to wish Gandolfini were still around. Collapse
  11. Jan 4, 2014
    This is a charming film with great performances by James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. The chemistry between the two is what most romantic comedies wish they could have. A
  12. Sep 21, 2013
    Look, I'm not a fan of rom-com's, but this for sure is the best one I've ever seen. Overall, James Gandolfini, you will be missed. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  13. Oct 31, 2013
    This movie made my laugh, cry, and remember that life is short. Mr. Gandolfini will be missed.
    But this is a fantastic last movie, and Julia Louise Dreyfuss puts in an excellent performance that is worthy of an Oscar. Great little movie. Moved my heart like "Beginners." We need more magic movies.
  14. Jan 18, 2014
    “Charming” is one word I would use to describe this film… “Realistic” is probably another. One of the last two films James Gandolfini made, “Enough Said” really proved to be a terrific and unique romantic comedy. The film isn’t silly but rather humorous and heartwarming thanks to a great story, great performances and characters that felt real and authentic. Overall, the film is just an“Charming” is one word I would use to describe this film… “Realistic” is probably another. One of the last two films James Gandolfini made, “Enough Said” really proved to be a terrific and unique romantic comedy. The film isn’t silly but rather humorous and heartwarming thanks to a great story, great performances and characters that felt real and authentic. Overall, the film is just an endearing and delightful film that is very down-to-earth. Expand
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    Its cynicism towards relationships and its realism to how women truly are makes me admire the film. Gandolfini is poignant, and he will truly be missed, though I loved him more in 'The Sopranos'. Louis-Dreyfus is quite an annoying and clueless klutz in the dating realm, and her British friend and Keener are complete c**ts. I felt more sympathetic to Gandolfini than Louis-Dreyfus. EveryIts cynicism towards relationships and its realism to how women truly are makes me admire the film. Gandolfini is poignant, and he will truly be missed, though I loved him more in 'The Sopranos'. Louis-Dreyfus is quite an annoying and clueless klutz in the dating realm, and her British friend and Keener are complete c**ts. I felt more sympathetic to Gandolfini than Louis-Dreyfus. Every time she blundered in the film, that's where I laughed. Expand
  16. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s been three years since Nicole Holofcener last released a film, and it’s been fifteen years since Julia Louis-Dreyfus appeared on screen. The latter’s previous appearance was in a Woody Allen‘s Deconstructing Harry, so it’s quite fitting that her return would be in a film by the former. Though Holofcener’s career is much younger than Allen’s (and not nearly as prolific) her work feels right at home next to the typical Allen film. Instead of intricate plots, both directors prefer more open-ended explorations of the privileged middle and upper classes, and the various hijinks in which they dabble. And even though Enough Said’s style and structure occasionally feel like that of a network sitcom, it is ultimately a highly enjoyable comedy, albeit one that operates at a broader level than Holofcener’s previous work.

Having directed episodes of TV’s Parks and Recreation and Enlightened in the years since her last film (the wonderful Please Give), it’s not entirely surprising that some sitcom-y tendencies have slipped into Holofcener’s authorial bloodstream. With its abundance of characters and hazily sketched subplots, Enough Said does have a tendency to feel like something of a pilot episode. Some of the comedy arrives in fits and starts, and some dialogue exchanges feel a too artificial for their own good. Under different circumstances, these traits would become large, painful thorns in a film’s side.

Enough Said, thankfully, has the low-key level of craft and acting that elevates its material into territory that is entirely pleasurable, rather than grating. That elevation comes largely from Ms. Louis-Dreyfus as protagonist Eva, and the late James Gandolfini as love interest Albert. The pair of TV titans (Louis-Dreyfus is close to beating Lucille Ball‘s record amount of Emmy wins) seem like an odd match at first glance. And, in fairness, it’s kind of hard to picture Elaine or the Veep going for Tony Soprano. They appear to agree. When the two divorcees meet at a party, they both dryly comment that there’s no one at the even they find attractive. Yet that first shared sentiment turns out to be a hidden sign. After a surprisingly enjoyable first date, Eva and Albert’s relationship starts to grow in ways they never expected.Of course, there are complications. If you’ve seen the trailer, you know how Eva’s relationship with new client Marianne (Catherine Keener, Ms. Holofcener’s muse of sorts) throws a wrench in everything. Yet whether or not you have foreknowledge of the film’s surprise, it’s hardly likely to affect your perception of the film. Holofcener keeps the pacing brisk, never allowing the more dramatic undercurrents of the story to suck the fun out of the film as a whole. At first, that makes Enough Said seem rather slight. And, truthfully, Enough Said is a modest, unambitious character-based comedy. Yet even among the sitcom-y scenes and situations, there remains a remarkable attention to detail when it comes to the characters. The ensemble is close to being overstuffed (with friends, ex-husbands, daughters, and clients), yet seeing Louis-Dreyfus and Gandolfini play against type is more than enough to give the film some intrigue. Watching the former handle less misanthropic and neurotic humor, and watching the latter be funny at all, proves to be the film’s secret weapon.With the amount of time TV stars spend in a role, they tend to become associated with a certain persona, and are thus more vulnerable to being typecast. And even though Louis-Dreyfus retains some facial tics from her Seinfeld days, by the time Enough Said rolls into its final reels, there’s no mistaking Eva for Elaine. The maternal compassion and hesitant romantic longing that the actress finds, without going overboard, is a delight to watch. For such a simple set up, Enough Said pulls its leading lady in a surprising number of directions. Individually they may seem plain, but the combination that Holofcener and Louis-Dreyfus come up with here somehow feels fresh.
    More subdued, though just as enjoyable, is Mr. Gandolfini, in one of his last roles. While his untimely passing is tragic, he could still be alive, and his portrayal of Albert would be no less delightful. A self-professed slob, Albert remains good at heart. In situations where Tony Soprano would have lost his cool and started throwing punches, Albert keeps a level head and internalizes his feelings of anger and disappointment. It culminates in one of the film’s best scenes, that also happens to be one of the few dramatic ones in the entire 90 minute run time. And even though Enough Said is broader than Holofcener’s previous work, it still has her keen ability to use character-based comedy to touch on deeper emotional truths. Jordan Baker for FMR.
  17. Sep 23, 2013
    LTIH keeps me coming back, for sure. I enjoy all the characters and story lines and each episode is better than the last. This is an interesting set of characters, and well acted, even though they may find themselves in rather contrived situations, such as a car theft and ensuing chase by elderly drivers, or locked in a creepy mansion. The one-on-one conversations are superb. I can'tLTIH keeps me coming back, for sure. I enjoy all the characters and story lines and each episode is better than the last. This is an interesting set of characters, and well acted, even though they may find themselves in rather contrived situations, such as a car theft and ensuing chase by elderly drivers, or locked in a creepy mansion. The one-on-one conversations are superb. I can't wait for the next episode and season. Expand
  18. Jan 30, 2015
    This story really rang true with me. It felt really authentic, about people who are human and have quirks and don't always make the best decisions, but who ultimately just want to be loved. And I, in turn, loved this movie. It had great heart, was thoughtfully done, and portrays candid emotions that we all go through in love and loss. I loved Julia Louis-Dreyfus and adored James GandolfiniThis story really rang true with me. It felt really authentic, about people who are human and have quirks and don't always make the best decisions, but who ultimately just want to be loved. And I, in turn, loved this movie. It had great heart, was thoughtfully done, and portrays candid emotions that we all go through in love and loss. I loved Julia Louis-Dreyfus and adored James Gandolfini in it. It also was a very funny movie, I laughed out loud several times. It was actually that funny. Rave reviews, highly recommend it. Expand
  19. Jun 13, 2014
    " a delight ". So far its just romantic , funny and amusing it just is. thank you director/writer Nicole Holofcener. Grade A+......................................................
  20. Mar 21, 2014
    This movie falls under the widely insufferable romantic comedy genre, yet it is so much more than that (otherwise this review simply would not exist). This film is a touching and wonderfully composed love story of a newly found middle-aged couple. Of course, there are various complications, but they are largely unforeseen. The writing is intelligent and the humour is pleasantly subtle andThis movie falls under the widely insufferable romantic comedy genre, yet it is so much more than that (otherwise this review simply would not exist). This film is a touching and wonderfully composed love story of a newly found middle-aged couple. Of course, there are various complications, but they are largely unforeseen. The writing is intelligent and the humour is pleasantly subtle and entertaining. Likewise, the social commentary is thoroughly engaging whilst being highly perceptive; this film almost becomes fascinating to watch.

The director, Nicole Holofcener, explores relationships in a mature and authentic manner providing a territory in a world that we wholly recognize. Enough Said is no exception, and may be her best work to date. This is held together by the two brilliant and fresh performances from James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Gandolfini retires from playing a hit man or a mobster and delivers a delicate performance of a middle-aged man (Albert) falling in love. Meanwhile, Louis-Dreyfus is utterly compelling as a middle-aged woman (Eva) who is unsure of a lot of things, including love. Albert and Eva are funny, smart and weary of the world around them. Therefore, they discover unexpected pleasure when they find themselves merging in a world where romance seems dead.

The scenes in which Albert and Eva get to know each other are delightful miniatures of emotional familiarity. They strike a cord; a cord that has clearly been twisted and bruised in the past, but has now sprung to life. They are on the same wavelength. It is joyful to watch.

Ultimately, this movie simmers down to a message of love: it shows us how rare love is and that we need to grab it and not let go.
  21. Nov 13, 2014
    "Enough Said" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Good) ...

"Enough Said" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Good) ...

The Good: Extremely realistic portrayal of what relationships are like, especially for those of us who are over 35. Rather than show us two pretty people going through the motions, "Enough Said" shows two imperfect people trying to make a relationship work. Gandolfini (in his final role) was excellent, despite seemingly being out of his comfort zone as an actor. I had my doubts about him as the lead in a quirky romantic comedy, but he pulled it off.

The Bad: Julia Louis Dreyfus was TOO quirky and came across as unlikeable. It makes it difficult to root for the pair when one half of them annoys you during key scenes. The ending was a little abrupt and too neat and tidy. For a more realistic take, the final scenes didn't quite measure up.
  22. May 12, 2015
    "You all knew James Gandolfini the actor. I was lucky enough to know Jim the man for 10 years as his close colleague and his pretend life partner, and for many more years as his friend. And it’s Jim the man, the very dear man, that I will miss most of all." - Edie Falco at the Emmy's for James tribute.

The story is about a divorced woman thinks she has finally found a new man she can share her life with... the only problem is he turns out to be the ex-husband of her new friend.

Enough Said is a lot different then I expected it to be before seeing the film. I was expecting the same romance cliche movie with the long fallout and the women or man start to feel bad and towards the end they both realize that they idiots so they get back together, riding off into the sunset. Enough Said has some of those cliches but took a much different turn and for the best, because Enough Said is both a great comedy, good romance movie and realistic movie viewing relationships and people's chemistry today.

Now I already did a tribute to the late great James Gandolfini in my The Drop review but in that movie he pretty much played a nasty mob type of guy that's a little bit like Tony Soprano without the angry problem, but in this his a big heart guy that's so sweet and lovable it makes me sad that James is really gone because James Gandolfini pretty much plays himself, a big lovable human being. James Gandolfini did a magnificent performance in this movie and a performance worth remembering for.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus was also great in the movie as she plays the funny, always smiling wife that screw's up a couple of times in the movie, basically real life. It's not like she's the bad guy here (or women if you must) as every time she tries to do something right when it comes to problems she somehow makes it ten times worse and every time this happens I can see the look of destroyed failure in her eyes and that's due to the brilliant acting from Julia Louis-Dreyfus, she really fitted the character so well that she gives her character ark that worked brilliantly.

The chemistry between James and Julia was both cute, charming, interesting and straight up adorable. I think the writing and the directing is the real reason why the chemistry worked because every time these two talked they will always have something to make me and probably everyone else to smile at are adorable together.

Now for the problems: I don't have problems with the movie to be honest, but I'm not going to give it a best rating I got because I don't really think this movie is on the level of amazing or groundbreaking, but it's still a sweet little movie.

Overall Enough Said is a great movie with great performance from everyone and brilliant directing and writing.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Oct 21, 2013
    Assured, adult filmmaking from a writer/director who knows her way around the ups and downs of relationships.
  2. Reviewed by: Cath Clarke
    Oct 15, 2013
    Nicole Holofcener has a reputation for making Woody Allen-ish chick-flicks. Which sounds like a snidey compliment. Enough Said is her best yet.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby