Enough Said

7.7

1. Jul 21, 2014
    Shocking and very Sad was the death of James Gandolfini about a year ago.

As is the case with Surprise endings, there is More to be Said! Mr. Gandolfini has a number of 'last films' to see. I've seen a few of these last films, this one is bitter/sweet with a romance with Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which is interesting casting to say the least. In the film Gandolfini's EX-WIFE, a poet
    Shocking and very Sad was the death of James Gandolfini about a year ago.

As is the case with Surprise endings, there is More to be Said!

Mr. Gandolfini has a number of 'last films' to see.

In the film Gandolfini's EX-WIFE, a poet is somewhat of a **** about him... calling him fat a slob and sorta stupid.

What Man isn't, I say to her!

Still and though it's good to see Gandolfini one last time...

VERDICT: SWAN SONG/67 OF 100
  2. Mar 6, 2014
    this film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinesethis film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinese space station and the International Space Station ! Expand
  3. Lyn
    Feb 16, 2014
    Julia L-D deserves a lot of credit here. She's one of those sitcom stars who seemed to get slicker, sleeker, sexier every year (see also: Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, et al.). But here she lets herself appear older, worried, not made up -- still adorable, for sure, but so much more real. The film is heavy on coincidence and wryness -- EVERYone is coming through the wry, continually --Julia L-D deserves a lot of credit here. She's one of those sitcom stars who seemed to get slicker, sleeker, sexier every year (see also: Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, et al.). But here she lets herself appear older, worried, not made up -- still adorable, for sure, but so much more real. The film is heavy on coincidence and wryness -- EVERYone is coming through the wry, continually -- but in a Nancy Meyers-type way that strikes touching notes about relationships, divorce, kids leaving the nest. Moms will shed tears. And James Gandofini seals the deal with a performance of real warmth. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    I likeGandolfini and he's fine in this chick flick. Louis-Dreyfus comes across as Elaine from Seinfeld and the dialogue could be right out of a Seinfeld episode. The girls will probably like it ok but guys will probably prefer something with a bit more action. Riddick for example. :~)
  5. Oct 26, 2013
    Enough Said focuses mostly on the day-to-day struggles of Eva, a message therapist, and as the film plays out it attempts to highlight the beauty of the unlikely formation of serious romantic relationships and their fragility. Eva and Albert, two divorced, middle-aged cynics with children from past marriages meet at a party, go on a few dates, and eventually end up forming a seriousEnough Said focuses mostly on the day-to-day struggles of Eva, a message therapist, and as the film plays out it attempts to highlight the beauty of the unlikely formation of serious romantic relationships and their fragility. Eva and Albert, two divorced, middle-aged cynics with children from past marriages meet at a party, go on a few dates, and eventually end up forming a serious romantic relationship.
    This is a sweet idea in itself, but Eva’s character is just generally uninteresting. She is picky, negative, and skeptical. When problems occur between her and Albert, we the audience are supposed to feel pity, or empathy maybe. But it’s impossible!
    It seems as if the characters are purposely crying for pity. They mope, they whine, they feel sorry for themselves. Both Eva and Albert have pretty great lives actually, and come from respectable ranks of society. They have good jobs and nice families. How are we supposed to feel pity for characters when the characters portrayed as pathetic are not pathetic at all? Their situation may be realistic, but in the supporting context, these characters are impossible to care about.
    Eva egomaniacally brings on all her own misfortunes. We see her make bad choice after bad choice until she has ruined all her personal relationships. Eva the character is a dunce, but Dreyfus’ acting in the role is fantastic. This is a serious paradox!
    I went to see this film for two reasons, because it got great reviews and because of James Gandolfini. Unfortunately, the reviews were wrong. Great performances by Dreyfus and Gandolfini are forced to cohabitate with the terrible, mundane plot.
    The reviews of Enough Said painted it was some kind of quirky little indie film, something Squid and the Whale-ish (even though I don't like Squid, I like that genre), but really it is just a story about the unlikely romance between two people i.e. a romance film.
    Most enraging is the depiction of how the characters are totally responsible for screwing up their own lives. Viewers who consider themselves unlucky may not agree that relationships are this black and white; simply making the right choice, or do the right thing and everything will be great. I don’t like to see charters on the screen fall from grace because they fly to close to the sun; I like to see the sun explode and engulf the character in flames.
    Whatever it was the film's producers were trying to evoke in me, they failed at it.
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    Contrived Hollywood story falls flat on its face about 2 3 of the way through the movie followed by 20 or 30 minutes of nothing and a completely implausible ending pasted on at the very end. The casting is awful, the ex's are all intolerable and the dialogue is frequently bad. This movie will be remembered only as Gandolfini's last role in about 15 seconds.
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a single mom, who ends up in a relationship with James Gandolfini. She's her typical neurotic and he plays nice. Things get complicated when her new friend (Catherine Keener) turns out to be his ex. There's nothing especially original about this story, except that it's told from a middle-aged perspective. The characters are interesting and performances enjoyable,Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a single mom, who ends up in a relationship with James Gandolfini. She's her typical neurotic and he plays nice. Things get complicated when her new friend (Catherine Keener) turns out to be his ex. There's nothing especially original about this story, except that it's told from a middle-aged perspective. The characters are interesting and performances enjoyable, but there's not much comedy…just a bit of mild humor. Overall, it feels like a minor Woody Allen flick (although written/directed by Nicole Holofcener). Expand
  8. Sep 28, 2013
    I have to confess: romantic comedies are not my type. But there was so much hype about it that I decided to give it a try. I was quite satisfied with all the characters. Except one, the main one: Eva. Not exactly sure what I did not like about her, whether it was the script or directing (both by Nicole Holofcener) or maybe the casting did not quite match with her. As a famous RussianI have to confess: romantic comedies are not my type. But there was so much hype about it that I decided to give it a try. I was quite satisfied with all the characters. Except one, the main one: Eva. Not exactly sure what I did not like about her, whether it was the script or directing (both by Nicole Holofcener) or maybe the casting did not quite match with her. As a famous Russian theatrical director once said, "I do not believe it!". And then that awful scene where all three main characters got together, Eva, Marianne and Albert. I nearly left the theater, it was *that* awkward. But enough negativity, overall the movie was quite watchable and sometimes enjoyable. Maybe I should just avoid rom-coms... Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Oct 21, 2013
    Assured, adult filmmaking from a writer/director who knows her way around the ups and downs of relationships.
  2. Reviewed by: Cath Clarke
    Oct 15, 2013
    Nicole Holofcener has a reputation for making Woody Allen-ish chick-flicks. Which sounds like a snidey compliment. Enough Said is her best yet.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby