6.6

1. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Enter The Void.

Enter The Void is one of the craziest concept of a movie I've ever heard. I was recommended this movie by a friend. Just from the beginning of the movie the visuals altered my thoughts and feelings. The POV shot from the beginning of the movie really pulls in the viewer and becomes more connected to the main character (Oscar). He begins by doing a hallucinogenic (DMT), and begin to trip like I was him. Bright visuals begin to appear on the screen. Hearing people outside, and soft music. His friend calls him to meet him at a club and he begins to try to get out of the trip. And as I to get 10 minutes into the movie Oscar is shot and killed as the camera is still in the POV shot, his heartbeat begins to slow down as you hear him talk to himself and after a minute or two of darkness, his "spirit" is slowly lifted out of his normal body and the camera slowly pulls away from Oscar's dead corpse. His "spirit" starts to go around the building he got shot in. Sees his friend call his sister telling her that he is dead. As his friend is calling Oscar's sister, she is getting laid by a character that Oscar always hated. Oscar soon after picks up the phone to listen to the voice mail and Oscar's "spirit" sees his sister cry because of his death and the camera becomes out of focused and it begins to get louder and louder and the camera pans into a light that is flashing multiple colors. This transfers the spirit into past things in his life. The camera is in the third person of Oscar. The movie begins to run through Oscar's entire life. Every childhood moment. Every last minute he spent on this earth. You begin to understand why he was who he was. Near the end of the movie you see Oscar look at his dead on last time and that is right before they burned his body. This movie really made me rethink a lot of things. What life really is. Is there actually such thing as reincarnation, or is this what really happens when you die? These are questions no one knows the answer too till the day we die. There's noway to prove this happens when you die. This is one of the craziest movies I've ever seen. It's mind altering. It really made me think about a lot of things all at once. If you are a person who really likes movies that later your minds, then I truly recommend this one. There are some really slow parts in the movie and it seems like the movie is dragged on but it is one of if not the greatest movie I've ever seen. Just a fair warning to anyone that plans to watch this, there is a lot of sex scenes, this is not for virgin eyes to see.

-Marcus Turner
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    Following suit to Irreversible, the main study remains but with more formalist experimentations and metaphysical voyeurism. Only weaker than it's predecessor due to its lack of connectivity made with the protagonist and the viewer, replacing the protagonist *with* the viewer. This is seemingly the point, but at the same token can be an alienating experience for the viewer.
  3. Jan 8, 2014
    A rare treat that comes around only once in a decade. The film is not linear, its not cohesive and by god it makes littel to no sense most of the time. That all said and done, it feels amazing. When you watch this film, it does what any great film should, it takes you away. It wipes clean everything else and transports you to a fantastic place. Its a melodrama so don't expect the acting to be top notch, but it doesnt matter. The way its told, the way its edited and then presented is stunning. Along with Children of God this is the best movie of the last decade. Even at its two and a half hour run time it hooks you till the end. It takes you away from whatever world you currently preside in and show you a tale of love and loss like little else that has ever been shown. If you love art and film this is a must see film. JUst one warning, don't watch it stoned. Collapse
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void is a fairly groundbreaking follow up to his earlier films I Stand Alone and Irreversible. It is, for all intents and purposes, one of my favorite movies to watch. As a reviewer examining films like this it is both a gift and a curse. I love to be presented with the opportunity to speak openly about a very interesting film, yet I undoubtedly draw from my personal experience and bias towards the film that it can be difficult to clearly see it's drawbacks. Indeed, if you are looking for a perfectly balanced review of Enter the Void, you may as well look elsewhere. To me, this is a penultimate exploration of moodiness in cinema.

Read more on Hear the Indie: http://heartheindie.com/film-reviews/2013/11/15/gaspar-noe-enter-the-void-album-review
  5. Aug 8, 2013
    When I saw this film, I expected it to be a huge cultural phenomenon.. I expected it to change the film industry and to become legendary. That didn't happen. But the potential is still within the film and within you, if it hits you. If you're in your early twenties and/or at film school, this one has the potential to change things.
  6. Sep 2, 2012
    ENTER THE VOID is a VERY, VERY trippy cinematic poem with breakthrough visuals. It's not like any feature film I've ever seen. There's a hint of a plot, but the dazzling drug-induced hallucinations, amazing bird's eye view sequences and compelling situations combine to create a uniquely-brilliant experience. It is a bit too long and repetitious, but worth the commitment.
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    I wanted to like this movie and I wanted it to get better but it never did. Long, tedious shots of blinking lights and pans through walls and over rooftops are not my idea of storytelling. The movie intends to be artful, perhaps, but there is nothing artful at all about the director's inability to pace this properly. In between the unbearably long scene changes there is a highly original (if relentlessly dreary) story based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead as seen through the eyes of a young drug casualty. I would say that the director is obviously misanthropic, too, and that's not a view I share. (Maybe that's the key, then. Maybe he's trying to tell the audience, "Look at what a bunch of idiots you are, sitting through all this turgid nonsense.")

Anyway, it's horrible in a variety of ways but I'll give him points for telling an original story (which would have been about a half hour long) and going some places movies have never gone before (but going many more places no movie has a right to bother).
  8. Mar 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I should say that I extremely disliked Noe's Irreversible, to the point that I was prepared to leave the cinema. Watched it to the end, and I still think it to be a weak story that was supposed to make a loud bang through its use of violence. Regardless of this, I liked Enter the Void. The story still is pretty simple, but the execution is wonderful, and the movie very often is visually compelling. With the exception of some sex scenes (of which there are a lot in the movie, so if you don't like to watch that kind of material or are offended by it than this is not a movie for you), the movie veers away from the mixture of brutality and explicitness one could see in Irreversible. This is not to say that the movie is either easy or conventional, and I would argue that it caters for particular, offbeat tastes. This is both for reasons of its length (a lot of people have problems with movies that last longer than two hours, this one is two-and-a-half), as well as the matter in which it was conceived, as the viewers watch the situation from the viewpoint of a person in the midst of a psychedelic experience (at least that's how I saw it). Not for the common viewer, not for every viewer, not even for most viewers, but I do consider this movie worthwhile. Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2011
    If "Crank: High Voltage" had dialogue, and an ego. Stiff voice acting, and third person camera angles ironically bring to mind more recent ANTI-drug advertisements; 'EtV' truly seems to want to capitalize on every depravity and debauchery the Tokyo underworld has to offer, in all it's cliched glory : strip clubs; raves; drug-dealing; drug taking; incest; Oedipal complexes; gratuitous violence; car wrecks; AIDS ... Given some attractive imagery, and nifty trickery - most of the film operates as if one were playing a first person shooter on NO CLIP mode... â Expand
  10. RJB
    Feb 2, 2011
    Highly provocative and highly original. The movie is a little drawn-out but it's really a masterpiece of ultra-modern cinema-- totally current and completely seductive. Watch it full volume on the biggest screen possible.
  11. Jan 23, 2011
    A tour de force, technically and artistically. I left the theater in a state of bliss, shaken and invigorated. This is the work of a singular auteur, whose vision in the film offers a truly one-of-a-kind experience--one unlikely to be reproduced or even attempted again any time soon. If you're a film buff and understand that any film that inspires such deeply divided opinion probably deserves to be seen, then please give this film a chance and don't be dissuaded by the negative reviews. I saw the long version (containing the seventh reel of nine), and though a case could be made against the pacing during those final reels, every bit felt relevant and engaging. And from my perspective--speaking as one who has traveled with the psychedelics used by the character in this film--it's all very true to experience.

Though the film is explicitly informed by some of the concepts in the Tibetan Book of the Dead, it is not attempting to be any sort of new-age introduction to that work, to Buddhism, or to other eastern philosophies. It's an exploration of how, after death, we have to untangle and reconcile our prior knowledge, our identities, our duties to ourselves and others, and the choices we made in life. That said, those who are don't see the relevancy of the explicit sexual imagery should know that this can be understood as part of the "sidpa bardo" (bardo of rebirth) per the Tibetan book, and I think it's quite clear that was the director's intention. I'm sure I won't see a better film this year.
  12. Dec 15, 2010
    At times delightful, at times mortifying, Enter the Void is a release from logic, a purely emotional thrill ride that makes no sense, but definitely thrums a cord.
  13. Dec 11, 2010
    I (as long as the other movie-goers at my theater) were less impressed by "Enter The Void" than most of the critics. I read that this movie isn't very "audience-friendly" but is still an important piece of cinema to watch, this is a good summation of how I felt about this film, although I underestimated how un-entertaining this film would be. There is no doubt that this film is excellently shot, and tries to do many bold things, including having the first twenty minutes being a first person view of the protagonist's DMT-fueled hallucination, along with hearing his every thought and experiencing him blink every 30 seconds. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there, as after he gets killed, the audience is treated to a 2 hours and forty minute overdose of pathos to his unlikeable sister and entourage of friends. For a movie so steeped in Buddhist mythos, there is very little philosophical or spiritual content to be had. Many scenes of his childhood trauma and later drug use are unnecessarily repeated, as are endless robotic and unerotic sex scenes involving his sister and all the other characters. Despite my problems with it, it is still worth a watch for it's trippy visuals, interesting camera work, and it's take on literal slice of life filming Expand
  14. Dec 10, 2010
    Weird but outstanding and mindblowing movie. I never seen a movie like this. Outstanding movie. Enter The void is a movie that every one would not like. This movie did start off slow. But i start getting more into the movie after ever scene. Every scene have you wondering whats going happen next. I like the editing. The editing is different from other movies.
  15. Oct 23, 2010
    By far one of the most original films I have ever seen in every aspect. It is truly captivating and disturbing in every way. I was glued to the film screen the entire time. And to be blunt, it was like experiencing everything the character went through, all his trips, his memories and his everything. I have never felt so drawn to a character. So much so I became it. This movie is brilliant but once again, disturbing and artistic, so not for everyone. Expand
  16. Oct 7, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First movie I've seen (and I've seen a bunch) that shows me an actual abortion, a penis going into a vagina and ejaculating (viewed from inside the woman's body), and a dead guy's spirit inhabiting the bodies of different dudes so he can have sex with his sister, mother, and his best friend's mother. What's with all the shiny crap between all the people getting it on? Looks like bioluminescence..... Expand
  17. Oct 6, 2010
    I loved the pre-movie Epileptic seizure warnings - got me ready for what was a unique experience. After seeing Lynch's "Inland Empire" I'm ready for anything. There are some shocking moments in this film - several of which are repeated throughout the film - lest you become too comfortable with the flowing imagery. It's a completely accessible film, though perhaps a bit long. I kept thinking about Evil Dead II because the director uses this first-person (gonzo) traveling spirit convention that reminded me of Sam Raimi - made me laugh at various points. Excellent use of the uroboros. Don't want to spoil any of the key moments - you just have to be ready for anything before seeing this film. If you are, it's a good time. Expand
  18. Oct 4, 2010
    I saw this film at Cannes 2009, to my awe, moviegoers either fell asleep or left the screening. I forced myself through it. I cannot understand the high ratings nor why Gaspar Noe would overindulge with such sloppy editing. For me it was way Over the void. Glad to read I am mostly alone at my despairing view of this long tale of whatever its meant to portray.
  19. MkM
    Sep 28, 2010
    Unlike anything I have ever scene. A completely brilliant piece of visual art. The strangest part is that it actually succeeds in drawing a narrative from a largely wordless, largely abstract series of gorgeous camera stunts. The opening credits alone will draw applause in a movie theater (they did when I went). And, even if you find yourself frustrated by certain aspects of the movie, you will still be blown away by the way it looks. This is one of the most beautifully shot films in history. The cinematographer was Marc Caro from Amelie and City of Lost Children fame. This is easily the best looking movie he's ever been a part of, and that's saying A LOT. This is a completely unique experience, though admittedly not for everyone. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Dec 9, 2010
    Bold and intrepid film buffs: The gauntlet has been thrown. Here's something you don't see every day - thank goodness.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Oct 28, 2010
    There's little that's conventionally pleasant about the experience, save the satisfaction of having witnessed the novel and the extreme. But that sensation is at the heart of a lot of great art, from Poe to Stravinsky to Picasso to Diane Arbus to NWA. Nöe would likely, with a black-hearted grin, appreciate being ranked with such company.
    A picture that's by turns inventive, tender and boring, and one that uses a variety of novelty point-of-view techniques: If Penisvision isn't your thing, then Vagin-o-rama just might float your boat.