Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 24, 2013
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 161 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
CriticWesMay 25, 2013
EPIC

EPIC

Epic is a 3D computer-animated feature from the makers of Ice Age. It is based on William Joyce's childrens book The Leaf and the Brave Good Bugs. It stars Amanda Seyfried (Les Miserables), Josh Hutcherson (Hunger Games) and Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained). It's about a teenage girl who is magically transformed into the size of a bug upon encountering a hidden world of creatures living deep within the forest. She finds herself thrust into a battle with a race of tiny warriors and must help them stop a heinous force of evil from killing all of the life around them.

The world in which this movie was set was very imaginative and creative. While I found it to be visually stunning and the 3D animation to be quite amazing, the story itself just didn't quite hit the mark. It was more dark and dramatic than most other animated films I've seen. It was somewhat morbid for a movie geared towards children and any moments of comic relief were few and far between. Mostly, I felt it was lacking in the depth of the characters and therefore left me a bit uninterested at times.

I liked most of the action sequences and it was fun to watch in 3D. While some of the attempts at humor fail to cause laughter, there were some funny moments with a duo made up of a slug and a snail played by Aziz Ansari (30 Rock) and Chris O'Dowd (Bridesmaids). Aside from the visuals, they were the highlight of the movie.

On the upside, when walking out of the theater, I did hear a lot of the children saying they enjoyed the movie.

In my opinion, Epic is a little disappointing and doesn't quite live up to its title.

This movie also features the voices of Colin Farrell, Jason Sudeikis, Steven Tyler, Beyonce Knowles, Pitbull, Judah Freelander, and Blake Anderson.

My Grade for this film: B-
ThegodfathersonMay 25, 2013
It's cool, it's funny and its sleek. Epic is epic. So. Epic is a children's movie that takes place in a abnormal kingdom- Hidden Kingdom where everyone is afraid of The King except the forces who fight against him. A little girl shrinksIt's cool, it's funny and its sleek. Epic is epic. So. Epic is a children's movie that takes place in a abnormal kingdom- Hidden Kingdom where everyone is afraid of The King except the forces who fight against him. A little girl shrinks accidentally by a potion that her dad made- Honey I Shrunk The Kids there!- who studies forest life. The girl digs deeper and helps the kingdom's peoples. To speaking the truth, this is the best cgi animation so far in 2013. The story is colorful, dark and tense with very very fun. Voice Actors include a huge cast of A list actors and B list ones too. In the end, Epic is funny, smart and innovative. You should not miss this creative movie. It's just not a kids movie. It's a kids movie alright but it does it job well. Expand
ScrawnyPunkJun 10, 2013
A very good diversion for small children, and worthwhile for accompanying adults as long as they are comfortable with fantasy. It is well-filmed and well-executed, and the pacing feels about right for summer fare. It is not highly originalA very good diversion for small children, and worthwhile for accompanying adults as long as they are comfortable with fantasy. It is well-filmed and well-executed, and the pacing feels about right for summer fare. It is not highly original (e.g. Ferngully, Arthur and the Invisibles, etc.), but is fine enough update on older concepts to be satisfying. There is decent humor that resulted in both children and adults laughing out loud in the theater, and the action sequences are great for boys in the audience. No doubt, the princess references are fine by the little girls as well.

In summary not the best, or even a great, animated film ever, but it has something for everyone.
Gamer44May 11, 2014
One of the best animated movies I have ever seen. Not only was it action packed but it was a visual masterpiece. The story was engaging and heart warming. Visually it was stunning and incredibly beautiful. By far this was an incredible filmOne of the best animated movies I have ever seen. Not only was it action packed but it was a visual masterpiece. The story was engaging and heart warming. Visually it was stunning and incredibly beautiful. By far this was an incredible film and epic stunning journey. Expand
hoops2448Sep 3, 2013
Blue Sky Studios, an animation company most known for the Ice Age series has created in Epic a film of astounding beauty with a story that feels both original and fun despite the fact it is based on a novel by William Joyce. When the queen ofBlue Sky Studios, an animation company most known for the Ice Age series has created in Epic a film of astounding beauty with a story that feels both original and fun despite the fact it is based on a novel by William Joyce. When the queen of the forest (Beyonce Knowles) transfers her powers to a pod about to bloom, lead leafman and sworn protector of it Ronin (Colin Farrell) is tasked with protecting it with M.K (Amanda Seyfried), a human who has been shrunk to help the people of the forest defend the pod against Mandrake (Christoph Waltz, the leader of a group of creatures intent on destroying everything living. Epic is unexpected, exciting and clever and when the script isn't spewing out cliched dialogue about grief and loss, its actually quite funny with a story worth following. Unlike the rest of this years animation crop, Epic is a different animal, a light hearted adventure story just like the rest but displayed in a way that makes it original, especially in terms of the animation which helps establish this hard to believe yet wonderful world. Director Chris Wedge, the director of the original Ice Age has yet again created a world worth revisiting as it is ripe with potential. Filled with an impressive voice cast, Epic is just pure fun for kids and adults as it messes with the viewers sense of scale to create an adventure like none other. Expand
blakewilsonJun 15, 2013
It may not be very original, but Epic is still one of the best animated movies I have seen in recent memory (and the best effort from Blue Sky to date). A whriling, twisted, exciting, and fun moral tale that is visually epic. Its' solidlyIt may not be very original, but Epic is still one of the best animated movies I have seen in recent memory (and the best effort from Blue Sky to date). A whriling, twisted, exciting, and fun moral tale that is visually epic. Its' solidly voiced, it has its' hilarious moments, and it has some nice messages about family reconciliation and the like. Plus the story is much more well-written and emotionally deeper than any of Blue Sky Studios' other offerings. But Epic's stunning animation is truly worth the price of admission alone. There's also a clever reference or two to Disney movies such as The Lion King and Aladdin.

The movie is also a clean adventure you can take your whole family to see. Sensitive kindergarteners and under may be overwhelmed by the battle sequences.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
lismis7000May 26, 2013
Epic is a fun movie with a great message about the environment. the movie works for kids and adult as well. This is away for kids to learn about the importance of the world around them and that everything is connected. This movie does a greatEpic is a fun movie with a great message about the environment. the movie works for kids and adult as well. This is away for kids to learn about the importance of the world around them and that everything is connected. This movie does a great job in giving this message even to adults. I say grown take your children and well have a great abd fun time rooting for the good guys. Expand
cllamachMay 27, 2013
This movie is great, for an animated movie. It contains a history that is moving, with a great message, a wide array of characters, great sound and visuals, good battle scenes; for a kid movie; and a relation that is most humorous, along withThis movie is great, for an animated movie. It contains a history that is moving, with a great message, a wide array of characters, great sound and visuals, good battle scenes; for a kid movie; and a relation that is most humorous, along with some twists that would make the people who like to guess the end of the movie before it arrives; me; feeling that their money was well spent for the possibility of good endings, is pretty wide.

Another great feature of this film is the vast amount of messages and interconnected stories that can make a great teaching in the hands of someone who can take a simple phrase or an action and turn it into a teachings. A relation father-daughter with the stress it can give when distance and grieving is involved, or the rebellious soldier who is always shrugging his duty, and many more that would make this movie a great candidate for owning and re watching.

I would definitely recommend this movie to all of you who want to spend a nice time and take away something beautiful in the process, or even if you don't take away anything, just the beauty of the green combined with the music make it worthwhile.
csveimanJun 2, 2013
Where hollywood goes this film has more meaning and story in it that the vast majority of films produced by big studios.

The story indeed has some stumps on it, but overall its beautifull though it leaves you wanting more. Epic will

Epic will remind many out there of Brian Froud who designed creatures for amazing films such as The Dark Christal" and labyrinth" and although he had no part in this film, the creature designs, the colorful majestic scenery will keep even adults enthralled throughout the film.

As I watched I kept wondering how this film would have been in ol' 2d and what my imagination conjured was magic itself.
GabiiRRSJun 4, 2013
I agree it’s not a movie you watch “again and again” but I like this whole “let's connect with the nature” message. It entertains the kids, you have a few laughs, and the story (while common and predictable) pretty nice. It’s not comparableI agree it’s not a movie you watch “again and again” but I like this whole “let's connect with the nature” message. It entertains the kids, you have a few laughs, and the story (while common and predictable) pretty nice. It’s not comparable with other Blue Sky productions like Rio, but after watching Ice Age 4 the change of scenery it’s quite refreshing. Expand
shongdunnettJun 19, 2013
This is a fantastic movie not only it entertained the kids but also adult as well. Its beautiful creativity and imagination have took me to a whole new world of imagination. It's a mix between the adventure of Avatar, the battle with aThis is a fantastic movie not only it entertained the kids but also adult as well. Its beautiful creativity and imagination have took me to a whole new world of imagination. It's a mix between the adventure of Avatar, the battle with a meaningful insight of the story and the beautiful animation for the kids. I would fully recommended to family and friends. Expand
mrwilkersJul 3, 2013
It wasn't the best animated movie I have seen lately but definitely enjoyable for the whole family with an interesting story line. Kept us entertained.
Film13Sep 20, 2013
This was good. This was enjoyable. The comedy relief is funny. The love story is done well. The ending is a feel good ending. In the end, a nice family movie.
PorkoJul 23, 2014
Good fun and some beautiful art make this a good watch. There aren't enough funny moments though. My girlfriend loved this film though so that automatically made me enjoy it more !
TheCriticIsEvilMay 26, 2014
The movie is great and fun to watch! The pace of the movie is a little slow paced but still a good film. If i were an international critic i would give this 8/10. Great movie.
Delaforce828Oct 14, 2014
Seems like it could be pretty dull, but it takes you on a journey with brilliant animation, decent characters and a pretty interesting story considering this is based on a book. Overall Epic is pretty good.
EpicLadySpongeJan 29, 2016
Epic is far enough from being my first part of the name and from being this movie's name. It's only between a 6 or a 7 for this movie, but roughly came out as a 7.