3.3

1. DaveH
    Mar 29, 2010
    Nice sfx effects but hell, it was written by a kid!!! It's obvious he only had 2 influences: Harry Potter books and the movie Dragonheart, which was good.
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    The film would've been a lot better if Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott headlined it, and added and hour or so.
  3. Feb 2, 2012
    Just in case if you don't know, here is a rundown of the story - A poor farmboy finds a blue object with relations to a princess. When his uncle dies he goes with an old man to flee the Empire's elite troops. On the way the old man teaches him of a magical force and gives him a weapon. The boy finds out that the old man used to be part of an ancient order that kept peace before they wereJust in case if you don't know, here is a rundown of the story - A poor farmboy finds a blue object with relations to a princess. When his uncle dies he goes with an old man to flee the Empire's elite troops. On the way the old man teaches him of a magical force and gives him a weapon. The boy finds out that the old man used to be part of an ancient order that kept peace before they were betrayed by one of their own. They then go to rescue the princess that sent the blue object, but in doing so the old man dies trying to save the boy. They then go to the rebel stronghold, meeting a guy with a dark past along the way. However, they are tracked and the Empire attacks the rebels. However, the boy defeats the enemy commander in a dogfight and the rebels defeat the enemy force. Sound familiar? And on top of the story being an outright copy of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, the best actor is really the dragon. Ed Speelers just stands there going 'wow!', Jeremy Irons is given a really bland script and John Malkovich only speaks in one scene. The dragon is really the only redeeming factor, being that it looks and flows like a giant bird of prey and that Rachel Weisz voices her like who she is in the books, caring yet young and brash. The rest of the movie is just a worse rendition of something that we've all seen before, be it Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Its not cliched, but reading the book and seeing the movie gave me the feeling that Christopher Paolini was a wannabe Tolkien who had seen too much Star Wars. The book is well written and worth reading (originality aside), but the movie misses 70% of the story, and is less worth your time than the book. Go watch the original Star Wars Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings or read the book. Expand
  4. JavoD.
    Mar 7, 2007
    I read the two books that are out... its not even close to the true story. Yes, the effects are nice, and the relation dragon-rider is well portraited, but the story is confusing, far tru from the original and very melodramatic. Yuck!!!
  5. JudithD.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Being that the rating was PG I took my 6 year old grandson to see it and was not pleased with the violence that the movie portrayed. I was surprised this film was not rated PG-13 and am wondering how much of this rating system is political. Why are some movies like Pirates of the Carribean and Superman have less violence that this one are rated PG-13? Other than that the movie is okay and Being that the rating was PG I took my 6 year old grandson to see it and was not pleased with the violence that the movie portrayed. I was surprised this film was not rated PG-13 and am wondering how much of this rating system is political. Why are some movies like Pirates of the Carribean and Superman have less violence that this one are rated PG-13? Other than that the movie is okay and very visual. A tear arose when I thought the dragon was dying. The end of the movie lets you know there will be a second and probably a third. I would rather have one really good movie than 3 so so films. Expand
  6. Alex
    Dec 25, 2006
    Not a bad movie... not a great one either. like most book-turned-movie movies, it doesn't quite justify the book. it was short, had some ho-hum acting, and only a few good moments. but, its definitely something to see on a snowy christmas eve-eve.
  7. SteveK.
    Mar 21, 2007
    It's decent fun if you like this sort of movie, not the "worst movie ever". It's not going to win over anyone who does not go out of their way to watch movies with dragons and magic. I actually felt that it was too short, not enough time for any kind of character development, and the last 30 minutes feels super rushed. Good for kids and people who like kids' movies The It's decent fun if you like this sort of movie, not the "worst movie ever". It's not going to win over anyone who does not go out of their way to watch movies with dragons and magic. I actually felt that it was too short, not enough time for any kind of character development, and the last 30 minutes feels super rushed. Good for kids and people who like kids' movies The first hour story is Star Wars, the last half hour is Lord of the Rings, but both not done nearly as well. Expand
  8. DevonC.
    Mar 23, 2007
    Cheezy sets, nice acting, great visuals, interesting story, and better than the reviewer's say. My sister would really enjoy this one because its meant to be a kids film.
  9. [Anaymous]
    Mar 24, 2007
    Not as bad as review would suggest, but Eragon suffers from poor direction. The storytelling is mediocre, and the director has no grasp on emotions or character development. Fangmeier an FX guy, so the film looks good, but his lackluster direction leaves the film in an awkward grey spot. Sure, the novel, which i haven't read, won't win the pulitzer prize, but there no denying Not as bad as review would suggest, but Eragon suffers from poor direction. The storytelling is mediocre, and the director has no grasp on emotions or character development. Fangmeier an FX guy, so the film looks good, but his lackluster direction leaves the film in an awkward grey spot. Sure, the novel, which i haven't read, won't win the pulitzer prize, but there no denying that Fangmeier failed to bring out the best in it. Eragon still makes passable fantasy entertainment, but you can't help but feel a bit frustrated that better direction could've made this a fire-breathing smash instead of a mediocre stumble. Expand
  10. LaurelO'Brien
    Dec 16, 2006
    The book is FANTASTIC!!! but the movie, was not something i would be proud to say i directed, for example. if this movie was anything like the book, it would be 10+. i'm disappointed. i was hoping to finally get a good movie out of my favorite book. if they do Eldest, they better shape up.
  11. LuisG.
    Dec 16, 2006
    ok i was mildly entertained by this film the effects are high gloss .... script felt like a unrevised draft of a much better film.. stil the same my younger brother enjoyed himself hope to see the sequel ...
  12. Greg
    Dec 17, 2006
    Okay, it could have been worse... But it also could have been MUCH better, ad I'll leave it at that. One has to wonder how much Chris Paolini actually contirubted to this.
  13. MichaelH.
    Dec 18, 2006
    The movie, while not exactly bad, hits just below whelming. The plot feels too condensed, the story in the form of this movie just doesn't have an epic feel about it, and some scenes definitely have a Power Rangers feel about them. The visuals are nice and the acting is passable, but these don't save the film from being slightly underwhelming.
  14. LaurieW.
    Dec 22, 2006
    The book was so exciting and intricate. I was very disapointed in the screen play. Other than the character names and the general story line, the movie didn't really resemble the book. The characters played the parts well but the script was lacking all the way.
  15. AlexH.
    Dec 28, 2008
    I am a big fan of the book and I enjoyed it and I was excited to hear that a movie adaptation was to be released. I watched it the opening day and I was somewhat dissapointed. What I found most annoying about the movie is its large differences between the book. But that counted for only about one-twelvth of my final decision of how good or bad the movie itself was. There was few let downs I am a big fan of the book and I enjoyed it and I was excited to hear that a movie adaptation was to be released. I watched it the opening day and I was somewhat dissapointed. What I found most annoying about the movie is its large differences between the book. But that counted for only about one-twelvth of my final decision of how good or bad the movie itself was. There was few let downs but all in all, the movie wasn't as bad as what most people are saying it is. Expand
  16. Liam
    Dec 15, 2006
    Terrible direction, pacing that would make anyone but Uwe Boll vomit, plot misdirection that makes a Wayan's comedy look good, acting worse than Hayden Christensen in 'Attack of the Clones' and script that sounds as if a 13 year old wrote it.
  17. Anonymouse
    Dec 21, 2006
    Well, it's a nice popcornmovie. The special effects make it worth watching. But the parallels to Lord of the Rings and Starwars are so clear :(, The story is lame most of the time. What a pity :(
  18. Jun 5, 2015
    It's pretty solid as a movie itself. However, it does not in any way do its source material justice. There is nothing from the book that is in the movie, besides the characters and the general idea of the movie. Also, don't say "written by a teenager and it shows," that is comparing this movie to the book, which is way better than this movie
  19. Apr 19, 2015
    Another most abominable movie i have ever watch. i myself a teenager that began to wrote fantasy novel, when i began to watch this, my desire to wrote another word for my novel is gone. feeling afraid to receiving a negative review nor respond by critic, (when it came out).

Dear George Lucas: What gives with this Eragon jazz? I mean, gee whiz, did you seriously think that we wouldn't recognize you, the Great Man, as the guiding, um, FORCE behind this dull retelling of "Star Wars"?
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    In a time of darkness, under the evil reign of John Malkovich -- who sits upon a throne in a different sound stage from the rest of the cast -- a hero shall rise. But lo, there will be little rejoicing, for this dragon rider (newcomer Edward Speleers) is but a nancy boy, about as imposing as Lance Bass, and somehow in possession of the only soap and clean clothes in all the land.
  3. Reviewed by: Laine Ewen
    You're most likely find that Eragon is less a gem and more cubic zirconia -- nice to look at but not as preeeecioussss as its recent fantasy bretheren.