3.3

1. Oct 22, 2010
    forget what the critics say about this movie. it has great entertainment, great visuals, great everything. god praise Eragon.
  2. WhitneyN
    Jan 9, 2010
    I read the books and fell in love with them. I was very excited when I found out that there was a movie about it. After I had watched I could tell the major difference between the two but it wasn't horrible. You shouoold let the movie stand on its own, away from the books, or you will have a very longwinded argument about all the things that were missing. It was a fun movie with I read the books and fell in love with them. I was very excited when I found out that there was a movie about it. After I had watched I could tell the major difference between the two but it wasn't horrible. You shouoold let the movie stand on its own, away from the books, or you will have a very longwinded argument about all the things that were missing. It was a fun movie with awsome effects and I think it need some credit. So, well done. Expand
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the most awesome movies of the year that I saw. I think all the bad rumors about it are false. This movie was one of the greatest back when it was released. Everyone should like this movie. I hope the make a movie for the second book ,Eldest, and the third book, Brisingr. This movie should have a lot of positive reviews. :)
  4. JamesB
    Jan 21, 2010
    This was the best movie that I have seen in a long time. I dont know why everyone says that it was, "Written by a teenager and its terrible." This was a great movie, and I rented it again just so I could see the details better. There should be movies of all of the other books that Christopher Paolini wrote. BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!! :)
  5. ab
    Oct 17, 2007
    Personally, I think this movie topped lord of the rings. It's not nearly as cliche and includes more fantasy. At least the main character isn't as hopelessly helpless and frodo was.
  6. MitchellK.
    Jan 8, 2007
    After reading the reviews from both critics and viewers I felt I had to add my say. I liked this movie. My 6 year old son was frightened by some of the images, but it is generally an entertaining movie. More exciting than Narnia. It seemed like a definite mix of LOTR, Star wars, & Narnia. Would definitely see a sequel. God's Speed Eragon!
  7. JosephC.
    Mar 24, 2007
    The movie was good, but if you want movies that follow the book, this is not your movie. They had great effecs, and the actors did the best they could with what they were given. Over all, i think it was a great movie (even though it was not true to the book) and it is worth buying.
  8. ArielG.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I wish I hadn't been initially swayed by all the bad reviews for this movie. I watched it recently, and I didn't think it was all that bad. It's not the best movie out there, and it certainly doesn't stack up to any of the Lord of The Rings movies, but it was okay as entertainment for a lazy sunday afternoon. It reminded me a lot of the older fantasy movies from the I wish I hadn't been initially swayed by all the bad reviews for this movie. I watched it recently, and I didn't think it was all that bad. It's not the best movie out there, and it certainly doesn't stack up to any of the Lord of The Rings movies, but it was okay as entertainment for a lazy sunday afternoon. It reminded me a lot of the older fantasy movies from the 1980's. Expand
  9. Shawn
    Dec 19, 2006
    One of the professional reviews said - great for 10 year olds, and that is the truth. They know their perspective audience and so this is the right age bracket for this movie. Obviously had to simplify many of the plot lines from this tome of a book. Don't walk in expecting SW or LOTR and you'll be fine, sit back and enjoy it through a 10 year olds eyes. (votes are the One of the professional reviews said - great for 10 year olds, and that is the truth. They know their perspective audience and so this is the right age bracket for this movie. Obviously had to simplify many of the plot lines from this tome of a book. Don't walk in expecting SW or LOTR and you'll be fine, sit back and enjoy it through a 10 year olds eyes. (votes are the combination of three peoples opinion) Expand
  10. MarieB
    Dec 23, 2006
    I loved this movie which I saw with my 23 year old son - he liked it too. Neither of us read the books. That seems to be the break point. Like a lot of movies made from books. Don't read the book first and you'll like the movie.
  11. LouisH
    Mar 21, 2007
    This movie was fantastic! I have never read the book myself, but I still expected this movie to be one of the best films of the year; and it was! The only problem was that it was a little too fast.
  12. Guy!
    May 22, 2007
    This movie left so much out from the book, yet I just can't give it anything less than a 7. Still, I cannot believe how much they cut out from the book; I mean they might as well have called the movie "Saphira".
  13. AlanN.
    Jan 18, 2008
    I'm really surprised this movie has been panned by both critics and viewers alike. I went into it with low expectations, thought the name was a bit silly for a start. I was very pleasantly surprised. The movie was pure fantasy escapism and thoroughly entertained me. Irons, Carlyle and Malkovich provided much needed acting mettle to counter the younger actors learning their trade but I'm really surprised this movie has been panned by both critics and viewers alike. I went into it with low expectations, thought the name was a bit silly for a start. I was very pleasantly surprised. The movie was pure fantasy escapism and thoroughly entertained me. Irons, Carlyle and Malkovich provided much needed acting mettle to counter the younger actors learning their trade but people need to remember this is at heart a kids / teen movie. I'm much older than many that have commented here (in my mid 30's) but having enjoyed it myself I'm pretty confident families with children over 10 would enjoy it too. Expand
  14. kitty
    Jul 6, 2008
    I absolutely loved this movie! Almost everyone around me hated it (for some bizarre unknown reason). But I was very entertained.
  15. PamB.
    Dec 16, 2006
    I agree with the SFCronicle when it says this movie provides a much-needed afternoon of family-friendly entertainment. I took my 10 year old son and his friend to see this movie. Good PG entertainment, sort of along the lines of last year's Narnia.
  16. GregV.
    Dec 22, 2006
    I loved this movie. In fact, I have already seen it twice and plan to go again. I thought the performance of Edward Speleers was great to be so young and green. I look forward and anticipate a bright acting future for this young man. I loved it...what can I say?
  17. FredB.
    Dec 30, 2006
    I thought the movie was good, if you read the book then i can see why you wouldn't like it. I read the book and i still enjoyed the film. Even though it didn't follow the book i think it made the story come to life. The acting was good and Saphira was amazing. Go see it if you like fantasy.
  18. WesleyY.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I don't know why all the critics ripped this movie apart. No, it won't win any awards, but it was an ok movie. As far as comparisons to LoTR, it was nothing like those movies, I liked it better than LoTR, but then again, I'm not one of those geeks that thinks hobbits and elves are awesome!
  19. LaurenR.
    Mar 23, 2007
    Yeah, its definately a Star Wars plot plopped into the LOTR world, but its worth checking out. The actors are pretty decent, the dragon is wonderful, and the plot? Well, its a fun fantasy epic sure to entertain.
  20. JadeC.
    Dec 16, 2006
    I've read both books prior to seeing the show. All of the core plot pieces are there but there are a few things missing to fit everything into the movie. I thought the special effects were done well and Saphira looks great. I reccomend watching the movie. No movie ever matches a book exactly. Just enjoy the show and when you have a chance read the books they are excellent. Don't I've read both books prior to seeing the show. All of the core plot pieces are there but there are a few things missing to fit everything into the movie. I thought the special effects were done well and Saphira looks great. I reccomend watching the movie. No movie ever matches a book exactly. Just enjoy the show and when you have a chance read the books they are excellent. Don't bother comparing it to other movies, some critic probably ripped them apart to. I can't wait for the third book and I am looking forward to more Eragon and Saphira in new movies in the future! Expand
  21. Marie
    Dec 22, 2006
    I saw the movie with two 8 year olds, who breathlessly declared it to be the best movie they had ever seen. They actually enjoyed the derivative parts; in their eyes it was extremely cool for a movie to be part Star Wars, part Harry Potter, part Lord of the Rings. And for myself... I actually had a good time. I don't think this movie is nearly as bad as the critics say. Quite enjoyable.
  22. kp
    Nov 22, 2008
    Ok, I expected nothing from this movie. Actually, I thought it'd be horrible. But to my surprise I thought it was pretty solid. The weakest link is the acting by "Eragon". But the rest of the cast was decent. I was actually touched by the story. I didn't read the book, so I couldn't care less if it did the book justice. Put it this way, it's not Return of the Jedi, but Ok, I expected nothing from this movie. Actually, I thought it'd be horrible. But to my surprise I thought it was pretty solid. The weakest link is the acting by "Eragon". But the rest of the cast was decent. I was actually touched by the story. I didn't read the book, so I couldn't care less if it did the book justice. Put it this way, it's not Return of the Jedi, but the are a lot of sci fi flicks out there that are MUCH worse than this. Writing and score were also quite solid. If you like D & D, video games and that sort of thing, I think you'll appreciate this one...it's at least worth a rent. Expand
  23. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I waited a lot from this movie - and then again, didn't dare to expect too much.

As a movie, Eragon wasn't the most brilliant piece I have seen. The scenes were merely bouncing from one place to another, cutting a piece from here, then rushing back to some other place. A longer movie may have erased this problem, I think.

Also, one couldn't stop thinking that "hey, this is just like in the Lord of the Rings" - which must happen with most fantasy movies these days.

The effects (dragons, for one) were realistic and beautiful. The rating should be higher, though, if you ask me. There was rather much violence, and although not much is shown... Well, the movie is dark.

Big minus for the ending. The last little scene did stand promisingly if you're looking forward to a sequel, but the one before that just reflected on the completely needless "romance" in the movie - they should have scratched that out and add a bit more between the character dynamics.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know how well it was translated into a movie. Altogether, I'm sure the makers of the movie wanted the scenes have more weight than they actually did in the end.

Dear George Lucas: What gives with this Eragon jazz? I mean, gee whiz, did you seriously think that we wouldn't recognize you, the Great Man, as the guiding, um, FORCE behind this dull retelling of "Star Wars"?
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    In a time of darkness, under the evil reign of John Malkovich -- who sits upon a throne in a different sound stage from the rest of the cast -- a hero shall rise. But lo, there will be little rejoicing, for this dragon rider (newcomer Edward Speleers) is but a nancy boy, about as imposing as Lance Bass, and somehow in possession of the only soap and clean clothes in all the land.
  3. Reviewed by: Laine Ewen
    You're most likely find that Eragon is less a gem and more cubic zirconia -- nice to look at but not as preeeecioussss as its recent fantasy bretheren.