3.2

1. Mar 5, 2014
    The worst or second worst movie I've fully watched. My mouth was gaping for a good part of it. It (hopefully temporarily) degraded my mind; I was seriously wondering whether some terrorists had produced this movie.
    There are movies you may say have "no depth." But this goes further, because it seemed as if they did almost everything they could to fantastically make situations as shallow
    as possible. I loved the book. But this... Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2014
    It’s really depressing how terrible this is. I admit I haven’t seen Star Wars as of yet, but if this really is a carbon copy of Star Wars … as with most novels I’ve read and seen on the big screen, this one was absolutely shredded from the relatively full story. Characters are either eliminated, greatly reduced, or changed significantly, the tone is unpleasant, the music is bland, etc., etc.

For those who complain about Inheritance’s overall unoriginality, they’ve probably never even TRIED to write a fantasy novel, and they just like to hate the obvious targets. That being said, I’d love to be able to give this negative points, but damn you Metacritic for confining us to the 0‒10 range!
  3. Feb 15, 2014
    This movie was utterly terrible, I just wish everyone would stop saying "written by a 15 year old and it clearly shows". Please don't compare this to the book that was written by said 15 year old. The Inheritance Cycle novels were amazing, but this movie was a total disappointment, leaving out so much and infuriating fans (like me) in the process
  4. Jan 7, 2014
    I am generally not a person leaning towards the fantasy genre, in books and, after watching this for the first time when it first premiered, especially movies. The lugubrious story is pitiful to watch, the acting is corny as well as the dialogue, and to see Malkovich and Irons act in a film like this one is disgraceful. Irons should stick to being a villain. I re-watched to see why it was so bad. Now I come to regret letting my curiosity make my decisions. Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    Eragon just fails.
    A sad and terrible adaption of the book. Eragon is shot down almost to begin with over poor writing and a bad script. The movie goes from an action adventure to a crud filled tornado in a matter of minutes.
  6. Oct 21, 2013
    I am keen of fantasy movie but I say that this film is the worst that I ever seen on this genre. I don't read the book but I think that the storyline is too simply and silly. The plot hasn't deep, it's all told too fast, in my opinion the story jumps important steps. The story could be good, there is good element on which working but they didn't knew make a good film. The main actor (Eragon) acting bad like good part of the others actors. For make an example the lord of the rings is literally on the other planet!!! You don't see it Expand
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie has to be one of the worst films of all time. Not a single good thing about it other then the CG of Saphira, Which was rather well done. Way to ruin the series.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    i read the books till the last one. even though i initially felt the stories were borrowed the last book was just epic. and my humble recommendation pls dont watch the movie, a waste of time, money. the movie didnt have the dwarves or the elves who are imp and i wont even attempt to watch a sequel to this damned movie if there is one.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    The movie Eragon is almost a completely different story than the book that it is based on. The book is about 544 words and the movie is only 104 minutes long, so obliviously there is going to some shortcomings in the movie. But compared to other movies that are based off of books, this movie was a huge disappointment! The movie put the story together with a series of scenes that tell the story in a choppy manner.
    If you have never read the book then you might be able to understand the story and like it, but for those that have read the book, you will basically want to stop the movie not even half way through. The book is long because the author, Christopher Paloini, put an immense of detail into the story and in the movie there is almost no detail. It seems as if the producers wanted to get the story across without any embellishments, in which case they accomplished their goal. There is only two characters that I thought were portrayed well: the dragon Shaphira and the Razac. The Razac were hideous and deadly looking and Saphira was beautiful, graceful, and strong which is how she is portrayed in the book as well.
    Overall I would say this movie would be a one-time view, nothing more.
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    Simply a terrible movie. Horrible acting and a bad adaptation of a great book. Overall it was a travesty. The only redeeming factor is Jeremy Irons' performance and that is the only reason I gave this a 1 instead of a 0. The worst part is that we all know that Malkovich can act but he wasn't in this movie. He was simply yelling.
  11. Dec 11, 2012
    Eragon is a fantasy film of 2006 based on the novel by Christopher Paolini and directed by Stefen Fangmeier. The story is set in Alagaesia, a magical world ruled by a cruel tyrant Galbatorix which eliminated the race of dragons and his brave knights, the only ones who had the courage to oppose his power. When young Eragon finds a blue stone in the forest initially thinks he has found a precious object to be able to sell to feed his family but later prove to be a dragon egg, which soon gives birth to a baby that grows with extraordinary speed. The creature, named Saphira soon establishes a telepathic contact with the young man, he discovers it to be an elected member of the Dragon Riders. And from here begins a dangerous adventure to save Alagaesia. The film itself has a lot of negative things such as the direction, which attempts to mimic that of "The Lord of the Rings" unsuccessfully the script that has cut many important parts and chapters for the movie success and the interpretation of some actors especially that of Edward Speleers in the role of Eragon. The special effects and the music are saved. Expand
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    Oh dear lord where to begin. You know you've seen a piece of crap when you watch this film. To make a film out of an adult setting book with darkness everywhere and instead make cheesy and boring lines everwhere dissapoints me. The events were poorly plotted, not to mention the terrible Saphira and Eragon. In the future, if your gonna make a book into a movie make sure you read it first
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    The film would've been a lot better if Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott headlined it, and added and hour or so.
  14. Sep 6, 2012
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    This is unacceptable. How could you mess this movie up so badly? Really? The book was amazing and even better when you notice that it was made by someone who wasn't even 18 yet. But... How? How do you make this movie THIS bad? If I point out ever single detail, we'll be here all day, so I'll just do a few.
    The acting was bad. Bad. Terrible. No one knew how to act.
    The visuals where very "Eh." They spent it all on a few individual shots. The story was utter crap. It jumped around way too much and never made sense. It still doesn't make sense if you read the book. Like how Saphira could fly into the sky and suddenly become a fully-grown dragon at the start of the film.
    It was so far off from the original book (like how the Ra'zac where... Whatever the hell they were, how... Everything about Brom was executed or how they made Eragon seem like a Disney princess) that I couldn't believe it was even kind of related. Even if it was it's own thing without the book, it would still be the worst film of all time. I would rate it -1 out of 999,999,999 if I could, but sadly, I can only rate it a zero out of ten.
  15. Aug 19, 2012
    A few words to briefly describe this film: unbearable, boring, weak and boring, the acting is bad and the ending is quite predictable, save up scenarios.
  16. May 28, 2012
    The visuals are cool but they simply have little purpose in a movie with a sloppy plot. The entire construction of the movie is sloppy and it just plain boring.
  17. Mar 19, 2012
    'This is the most original film ever made' would be something you would never hear about Eragon. Not only does it feel like it was written by a 2-year-old monkey , with horrible dialogue and bland, uninteresting characters, buit it also seems to enjoy stealing from every damn fantasy/sci-fi film out there. It's as if the writer went into a DVD store and rented out every friggin' sci-fi and fantasy film on the shelf, before putting each film in a boiling cauldron and mixing it into something evil. It's as if Star Wars and Lord of the Rings had a son, but this son is an ugly, stupid, bastard child with brain damage and problems with interacting with other kids.

Even if you can get past the horrible dialogue and generic, recycled plot, the acting is horrendous too. Composed of a cast of mostly nobodies, Eragon excels at making you cringe at the God-awful acting. In fact, the acting is so bad it's funny. Hearing generic-faced people utter generic lines such as 'we must destroy the empire!' and 'great power comes with great responsibility,' I found myself either laughing or sleeping throughout the whole movie. Mostly the latter.

Perhaps the one redeeming quality this film COULD have had is the effects. I'm definitely not saying that special effects should be valued over a good story (*cough* George Lucas *cough*) but in an alternate universe, if you could overlook the story and every other horrendous thing about this film the effects could make it worthwhile. That is not the case in this film. The graphics are generic and more cheesy than a packet of Doritos. Seriously, you just want to scream at this film 'WHY? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!'.

But the saddest thing about this film is that it could have been SO MUCH MORE. Yes, the book this film is based on is hardly original either, but if the plot and setting was changed, the cast replaced by talented acters, a good writer penned the film, the dialogue got changed (or removed entirely) and the special effects were taken out, then this film MAY have become an enjoyable Winter blockbuster. Ah, who am I kidding, this film was a nuclear bomb even before the monkey started writing the script. May God rest that monkey's soul.
  18. Feb 2, 2012
    Just in case if you don't know, here is a rundown of the story - A poor farmboy finds a blue object with relations to a princess. When his uncle dies he goes with an old man to flee the Empire's elite troops. On the way the old man teaches him of a magical force and gives him a weapon. The boy finds out that the old man used to be part of an ancient order that kept peace before they were betrayed by one of their own. They then go to rescue the princess that sent the blue object, but in doing so the old man dies trying to save the boy. They then go to the rebel stronghold, meeting a guy with a dark past along the way. However, they are tracked and the Empire attacks the rebels. However, the boy defeats the enemy commander in a dogfight and the rebels defeat the enemy force. Sound familiar? And on top of the story being an outright copy of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, the best actor is really the dragon. Ed Speelers just stands there going 'wow!', Jeremy Irons is given a really bland script and John Malkovich only speaks in one scene. The dragon is really the only redeeming factor, being that it looks and flows like a giant bird of prey and that Rachel Weisz voices her like who she is in the books, caring yet young and brash. The rest of the movie is just a worse rendition of something that we've all seen before, be it Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Its not cliched, but reading the book and seeing the movie gave me the feeling that Christopher Paolini was a wannabe Tolkien who had seen too much Star Wars. The book is well written and worth reading (originality aside), but the movie misses 70% of the story, and is less worth your time than the book. Go watch the original Star Wars Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings or read the book. Expand
  19. Dec 19, 2011
    I had the nice advantage of reading the books and knew that a lot was stolen from Star Wars, but they are well written books. The movie is an epic fail one of the worst book adaptations ever, with bad performances. Cool special effects though. I give this film 21%.
  20. Sep 19, 2011
    "Eragon", a movie based on a book written by a 15 year old kid, is a embarrassment in film history. Everything is a mess; story, script, cast, CG, even the name! Don't expect to see a epic fantasy like Lord of the Rings" while watching this movie. It's not even close.
  21. Jul 15, 2011
    I've always understood films deviating from the source. Some things which may have been written cannot be filmed. Lord of the Rings was a perfect example of how to do it. Jackson looked long and hard at the books and only cut scenes if they had no semblance to the overall plot. What came out was a masterpiece. So what about Eragon? There is only one word for this: An abomination. Every detail was wrong. Colour of their hair, age, growth, places they went too, how they got there, I could go on forever but instead I shall finish with why these cuts are such an atrocity. He cuts out parts key to the plot. No future films will be made from this...... this..... atrocity unto mankind. This film is a waste of your time, money and intelligence. Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the most awesome movies of the year that I saw. I think all the bad rumors about it are false. This movie was one of the greatest back when it was released. Everyone should like this movie. I hope the make a movie for the second book ,Eldest, and the third book, Brisingr. This movie should have a lot of positive reviews. :)
  23. Jan 4, 2011
    You guys need to try reading the books before badmouthing the author over the movie, as his first series he's done an excellent job even surpassing some more experienced fantasy authors.

The movie really annoyed me, it uses the name, a VERY simplified version of the storyline and some of the characters (minus about 90% of their personalities). I can understand the need to alter the
    plotline a little bit to fit into the timeframe of a movie but they changed so many things completely unnecessarily. I can't really explain it all but go read the book and then watch the movie and you may understand. Expand
  24. Nov 13, 2010
    Yes, the novel clearly was influenced by Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, even in the sequel, Eldest, it seems followed this influence. However, in the third novel of the Inheritance Cycle, Brisingr, the plot begins to change. For those who do not read novels, I am sorry to say that you will never see Eldest in film form let alone Brisingr or the fourth in the cycle. Why? Well, it's obvious isn't it? The Eragon film was just plain horrible. Chances are you could probably do better filming in your backyard with your flip phone (slight hyperbole). I am not sure how to review this one without spoiling it, but it outright sucks. If you want to see why, rent it out, just make sure you have a back up video to stop yourself from destroying the television. Expand
  25. Oct 27, 2010
    The books=good. movie=terrible. It probably would be a good entertainment film for a seven year old but for the rest, its just a pile of mumbo jumbo that doesn't even remain that loyal to the book. After the most random growth spurt, laughable dialogue, and John Malkovich cutting down a curtain, I just want to lie down and scream. Watch Lord of the Rings or Narnia instead!!!!
  26. Oct 22, 2010
    forget what the critics say about this movie. it has great entertainment, great visuals, great everything. god praise Eragon.
  27. Oct 14, 2010
    Oh. My. God. I'm gonna split this review into two parts- the first for people who haven't read the book and the second for the people who have. The movie isn't that bad, it just suffers from a dull plotline and too much focus on random action, and not enough focus on the characters. Certainly, they could have developed Brom more than they had, or gave some background on Eragon. And then the second review. If you have read the book, here is my opinion of the movie. As a huge series fan, I feel that they have smothered the original story is smelly sh*t and then spit on it. For one, it is Summer in the movie. Fuc**ng Summer. The book takes place in winter. Two whole cities are cut out, at least six characters are gone and the worst part is that partway through the movie Eragon kills all the Ra'Zac like they were babies. Know what that means? It means that there is zero chance for Brisingr to ever be made into a movie, which I suppose is good so they can't ruin it. Don't see this movie. Just..please...don't see it. Expand
  28. Sep 4, 2010
    It's Lord of the Rings without the depth, or Star Wars without the sense of adventure. Either way the film is awful. The book might interest some people, but stay far away from this movie.

Dear George Lucas: What gives with this Eragon jazz? I mean, gee whiz, did you seriously think that we wouldn't recognize you, the Great Man, as the guiding, um, FORCE behind this dull retelling of "Star Wars"?
  2. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    In a time of darkness, under the evil reign of John Malkovich -- who sits upon a throne in a different sound stage from the rest of the cast -- a hero shall rise. But lo, there will be little rejoicing, for this dragon rider (newcomer Edward Speleers) is but a nancy boy, about as imposing as Lance Bass, and somehow in possession of the only soap and clean clothes in all the land.
  3. Reviewed by: Laine Ewen
    You're most likely find that Eragon is less a gem and more cubic zirconia -- nice to look at but not as preeeecioussss as its recent fantasy bretheren.