• Studio: Gkids
  • Release Date: Feb 28, 2014
8.0

1. Mar 4, 2014
    An OSCAR nominee in the category of best animation feature. The cutest animation which gave the experience of seeing a Japanese anime similar to from the Ghibli studio. The characters are very adorable, especially both the Ernest and Celestine. After praising the technicians I mean the illustrator I must compliment the voice renders. Whenever I hear Celestine saying 'Ernest, Ernest' I just fall in love because it was sexy. I know French language itself a seductive.

No age group limited to enjoy this animation. From 6 year-old kid to 60 year-old and beyond that can have a great time with it. A simple animation with a good message story. Probably you will come to know what kinda movie is this if you have seen 'Stormy Night' and 'Ratatouille'. A tale about the unlikely friendship between two different living creatures.

It all begins with a young little mouse who got a different opinion on the creatures that live above their world. The earth's surface was ruled by the big bad bears and that is what beneather believe. Between these two world a new friendship bloom from nowhere. But both the societies denies it so the two must protect each other and run for their life. Instead, they need to prove it can be possible and harmless. So they have to take the advantage of the such circumstances and how it can be done is the rest.

The character Ernest was lazy, but tough and Celestine is very active, but sensitive in matters. The friendship between them was very well told, in an enchanting way. I liked the replacement of bear in the place of humans. Otherwise, our people think they are genius to find similarity between this and 'Ratatouille'.

Earlier I was very, very disappointed for ditching 'Monsters University' over crap movie 'Despicable Me 2'. I will be so happy if 'The Wind Rises' or this movie wins the OSCAR. But Americas own 'Frozen' will be a strong contender for the honour.

Finally, I retire for now by saying it is a must see movie, especially if you are an animation movie fan. I truly wanted it not to end, in the world at certain point everything must end and so it is against my will.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Surrounded by feeling and art, Ernest & Celestine can easily establish itself as the best animation of 2013, you know, we center as the friendship between two animals, but both prove to us much more than that, lessons are played all the time, his features and unconventional traits leave more alive and incredibly magical. It is the true story of love, and those that leave you defenseless to its outcome. Is the kind of film that the world needs. Expand
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    "Ernest & Célestine" es una buena pelicula animada, con un buen argumento y un buen desarrollo.Esta pelicula estuvo realizada a base de acuarelas, que hace que la pelicula sea linda y encantadora.Tambien este film tiene una moraleja, la cual seria que la amistad no entiende de razas, sexo, ni ninguna otra distinción social.
  4. Apr 8, 2014
    While enjoying Metacritic for years, I've only enjoyed other peoples reviews instead of participating. After taking others up on advice to see Ernest & Célestine, I had to create an account to add my two cents.

What a complete disappointment. I've re-read others comments now that I've seen it - and can't imagine that we saw the same film. Here are a few of my comments after watching.

Animation
    Animation style is purely subjective, but I didn't care at all for the animation style. Others described it as a wonderful watercolor bliss; I saw it as, while indeed lovingly drawn, quite basic. I realize that it's difficult to compare computer-assisted Pixar films and the like (although many other reviews certainly put them in the same class), I don't feel they belong even in the same class as famous Japanese animated films Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Akira. To me, although not the slick presentation of a Pixar film, they still captured magic and nuance in a different way that transcended the medium. E&C however didn't even come close. But that's my opinion. Watch the trailer and determine for yourself if you like that style or not.

Message
    The message - the way I interpreted it - actually makes me mad. And I don't get offended easily. One reviewer said "Ernest & Celestine delivers a sweet message that should prove delightful to young and old alike." Sweet message? Here's my take on what the message of the film is: You can steal when you are hungry, you can break in to multiple family shops and destroy the lives of others around you - but if you are a cute little mouse that goes against the "norm" and wants to live with a bear - love is all that matters and all should be forgiven. I'm not sure how you can take away any other message than that. While love is indeed wonderful - and often good to challenge social norms, responsibility is critically important - and completely lost on the story. It's a horrible message - one that I would not want my children to see.

Could you extract any good message from it? Sure you could. But you could do that with ANY film. I try to "sleep on it" after seeing a film - just to see if I have a different reaction after it has "soaked in" a bit. This one just made me more and more upset. Which is a shame, because I'm certain this was not the film makers intentions. Not being familiar with the original story, I can't say how much it matches the original, either. Others certainly loved it - although I get the impression most were familiar with the story.

For me, it was a waste of money - one that I would not even see again if a free copy was given to me. And certainly not the 100 rating that so many others gave it. 100 means there is nothing better. Tell me that you have not seen other films that are better than this one, and I'll tell you you need to get out more.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 10, 2014
    This hand-drawn French import is fresh evidence that you don’t need computers and singing princesses to make a charming animated movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Apr 3, 2014
    Ernest & Celestine draws on plenty of classics, animated and otherwise, for inspiration, but the film manages to be delightful on its own offbeat terms.
  3. Reviewed by: Jamie S. Rich
    Apr 3, 2014
    Ernest & Celestine delivers a sweet message that should prove delightful to young and old alike. Though the premise makes it sound like it could be preachy, this cute children's story is anything but.