5.2

1. Oct 19, 2013
    I wanted to love it, and there are definitely good ideas in the film, but it just doesn't go far enough. I did enjoy some of the humor and irony, but I don't think they pushed the boundaries hard enough to make the impact they hoped for. Kudos for stealing the whole movie at Disney World though!
  2. Jun 8, 2014
    I can honestly say that I have never seen a movie such as this. A movie that really shouldn't exist considering the high stakes of filming on Disney property. Sad thing is, I think the story behind the movie is a lot more interesting than the movie itself. So how can I begin to describe such a movie? Well, it almost feels like if David Lynch decided to make a movie based on Disney. ItI can honestly say that I have never seen a movie such as this. A movie that really shouldn't exist considering the high stakes of filming on Disney property. Sad thing is, I think the story behind the movie is a lot more interesting than the movie itself. So how can I begin to describe such a movie? Well, it almost feels like if David Lynch decided to make a movie based on Disney. It seems to pay a lot of homage to him, and it seems that some parts were inspired by his films. Like I said before, for the most part, this movie was filmed entirely in Disney World. There are scenes that were not, and these stick out like sore thumbs. During these scenes, they greenscreen their actors to make it appear as though they are on Disney property. However, the effects look awful and really break the immersion factor of the movie as you can blatantly tell that it was done in front of a green screen. Escape from Tomorrow also has too much going on at once. In the full 90 minute movie, so much happens that any of these odd events could have been turned into their own movie. Interesting plot points are started, and then just left out and never mentioned again. This makes for some disappointing moments, as many of the plot points to me sounded very intriguing and left me asking "Where are they going to go with this?" Just to have the movie tell me that these plot points will never be mentioned again. Acting is pretty poor, but that comes with the territory of being a very low budget movie. Some scenes are shot very nicely, and all around, besides the green screen scenes, the cinematography is pretty nice to look at. The trailer to this movie shows it off as more of a horror, but I don't really know what type of genre to put this movie under, and I don't think the movie knows what to put it under either. At points it's a dark comedy, at points it's a drama, and at some points it has elements of a psychedelic trip. Despite its bad elements, I still was very intrigued with this movie. I would recommend to watch it just because you probably will not see another movie like this, but be prepared that what you will see is not very well done. Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2015
    Someone definitely wasn't having a Disney day when they came up with this movie. It's the film equivalent to drawing a dick onto a cartoon character. Escape from Tomorrow is a satirical dark comedy film about a man named Jim who is having the worst day at Disney World you could possibly imagine. He descends into a living nightmare after getting fired from his job on the last day ofSomeone definitely wasn't having a Disney day when they came up with this movie. It's the film equivalent to drawing a dick onto a cartoon character. Escape from Tomorrow is a satirical dark comedy film about a man named Jim who is having the worst day at Disney World you could possibly imagine. He descends into a living nightmare after getting fired from his job on the last day of vacation and a chance encounter with two underage French girls, and he learns that bad things can happen even at the Happiest Place on Earth. This was definitely made by a man who wants to show that Disney isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Now I love going to Disney World, and I love most of their movies and the characters and all that, so I guess that's why I thought this was a rather uneven movie. I do have to commend Escape from Tomorrow for just how incredibly ambitious it was. Most of the film was shot at Disneyland or Disney World without any permits. That alone made me want to watch it, and the guerilla filmmaking added a rather disturbing and twisted layer to an already dark film because almost everything is genuine Disney. Spaceship Earth is real, the Contemporary is real, and the guests are all real.The director, Randy Moore, obviously had a lot on his mind when he was creating the film. All the conspiracies about Walt Disney, rumors of decapitations on roller coasters, and the screaming children everywhere gave him a lot of material to work with in showing Disney World as the imperfect place it really is. At times, however, it did seem as if Moore had too much he wanted to say. There were lots of ideas presented that never carried past those certain scenes, and that made the film rather unfocused. It goes on these tangents about how the princesses are in a secret ring of prostitutes and some bizarre cat flu, but those ideas are never developed. Other than that, Escape from Tomorrow did get dull at times. The entire film was told from Jim's point of view, but the problem with that is that his mind isn't terribly interesting. We're pretty much watching a man go through a mid-life crisis. Most of the movie is dedicated to just watching him look depressed while waiting in line for Buzz Lightyear or riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The execution of the movie is ultimately its downfall, but there's no denying its thought-provoking themes. Jim desperately wants his youth back so that he can get an escape from tomorrow (see what I did there?) Jim's wife doesn't even want him to touch her, his son's a brat, and he just lost his job. He finds and stalks these two teenage French girls and neglects his kids like some 20-something year-old which finally causes him to lose his sanity and start hallucinating and drinking. Escape from Tomorrow is a film with a lot of ambition and ideas, but it's bogged down by its somehwat dull execution. However, it is still interesting to see how they pulled off this stunt without Disney suing them (the company chose to just ignore the film). Whether you think Disney is a fantastic place filled with wonder or a land filled with fake magic and corporate greed, it's essential for any horror buff to see guerilla filmmaking in its rawest form. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    In a word: Bibbidi-bobbidi-blah.
  2. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Oct 25, 2013
    The film, shot in black-and-white at canted angles, suggests an R-rated Twilight Zone episode with a twist of Fellini-lite, in a trite film school kind of way. Mickey Mouse is unlikely to be shaking in his big yellow shoes.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Oct 24, 2013
    Once you get past the amazement this thing was made at all, the movie itself is an intermittently clever but mostly tedious, convoluted David Lynch knockoff that wanders all over the place.