5.3

1. Jun 28, 2015
    Someone definitely wasn't having a Disney day when they came up with this movie. It's the film equivalent to drawing a dick onto a cartoon character. Escape from Tomorrow is a satirical dark comedy film about a man named Jim who is having the worst day at Disney World you could possibly imagine. He descends into a living nightmare after getting fired from his job on the last day ofSomeone definitely wasn't having a Disney day when they came up with this movie. It's the film equivalent to drawing a dick onto a cartoon character. Escape from Tomorrow is a satirical dark comedy film about a man named Jim who is having the worst day at Disney World you could possibly imagine. He descends into a living nightmare after getting fired from his job on the last day of vacation and a chance encounter with two underage French girls, and he learns that bad things can happen even at the Happiest Place on Earth. This was definitely made by a man who wants to show that Disney isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Now I love going to Disney World, and I love most of their movies and the characters and all that, so I guess that's why I thought this was a rather uneven movie. I do have to commend Escape from Tomorrow for just how incredibly ambitious it was. Most of the film was shot at Disneyland or Disney World without any permits. That alone made me want to watch it, and the guerilla filmmaking added a rather disturbing and twisted layer to an already dark film because almost everything is genuine Disney. Spaceship Earth is real, the Contemporary is real, and the guests are all real.The director, Randy Moore, obviously had a lot on his mind when he was creating the film. All the conspiracies about Walt Disney, rumors of decapitations on roller coasters, and the screaming children everywhere gave him a lot of material to work with in showing Disney World as the imperfect place it really is. At times, however, it did seem as if Moore had too much he wanted to say. There were lots of ideas presented that never carried past those certain scenes, and that made the film rather unfocused. It goes on these tangents about how the princesses are in a secret ring of prostitutes and some bizarre cat flu, but those ideas are never developed. Other than that, Escape from Tomorrow did get dull at times. The entire film was told from Jim's point of view, but the problem with that is that his mind isn't terribly interesting. We're pretty much watching a man go through a mid-life crisis. Most of the movie is dedicated to just watching him look depressed while waiting in line for Buzz Lightyear or riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The execution of the movie is ultimately its downfall, but there's no denying its thought-provoking themes. Jim desperately wants his youth back so that he can get an escape from tomorrow (see what I did there?) Jim's wife doesn't even want him to touch her, his son's a brat, and he just lost his job. He finds and stalks these two teenage French girls and neglects his kids like some 20-something year-old which finally causes him to lose his sanity and start hallucinating and drinking. Escape from Tomorrow is a film with a lot of ambition and ideas, but it's bogged down by its somehwat dull execution. However, it is still interesting to see how they pulled off this stunt without Disney suing them (the company chose to just ignore the film). Whether you think Disney is a fantastic place filled with wonder or a land filled with fake magic and corporate greed, it's essential for any horror buff to see guerilla filmmaking in its rawest form. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2015
    DisneyLand, the land of dreams to come true right in front of your eyes, and your nightmares too.

The film is about a middle-aged American husband and father of two learns that he has lost his job. Keeping the news from his nagging wife and wound-up children, he packs up the family and embarks on a full day of park hopping amid enchanted castles and fairy tale princesses. Soon, the manufactured mirth of the fantasy land around him begins to haunt his subconscious.

Escape from Tomorrow is one of those films that you have to wait about two days after seeing the film, to get all my thoughts of the film to come together it's basically like solving a jigsaw puzzle. I tried my best to dissect the hell out of this movie by it's story, it's different and new style and the movies uncomfortable tone. I found out a lot of interesting things of this movie and the fact that they didn't have Disney's permission to film and get away with it, blows my mind how they pulled it off.

I enjoyed Escape from Tomorrow, I enjoyed it in a way that it feels like a guilty pleasure for me and overall I think this movie is weird, messed up, but still a well done film from a first time director. What the movie does so well is putting you in the main character shoes and showing you the anxiety and what it can do.

The cinematography in this movie are some of the best and perfect shots I have seen in a movie. I love the black and white look to it, it made the movie more sinister and nerving to watch, which worked so well. I kept thinking to myself of how they didn't get Disney's permission to film but still got away with shots that I have no idea how they got away with, Moore you are a genius.

Randy Moore first time film and straight away I want to see him doing other films, because he went for it and it didn't back fire on him.

Some people may be put off by the weirdness of the film and it's style and it's laughable moments, which is fine because people can like what their want to like, but what the movie dose so well and I think so people might agree on and that is Randy Moore made DisneyLand look like a place to avoid.

Overall I enjoyed watching Escape from Tomorrow and I'm not going to give it the perfect rating, because I don't feel that this movie is "amazing" or "the best movie of century", no but the movie is still worth checking out.
  3. Jun 8, 2014
    I can honestly say that I have never seen a movie such as this. A movie that really shouldn't exist considering the high stakes of filming on Disney property. Sad thing is, I think the story behind the movie is a lot more interesting than the movie itself. So how can I begin to describe such a movie? Well, it almost feels like if David Lynch decided to make a movie based on Disney. ItI can honestly say that I have never seen a movie such as this. A movie that really shouldn't exist considering the high stakes of filming on Disney property. Sad thing is, I think the story behind the movie is a lot more interesting than the movie itself. So how can I begin to describe such a movie? Well, it almost feels like if David Lynch decided to make a movie based on Disney. It seems to pay a lot of homage to him, and it seems that some parts were inspired by his films. Like I said before, for the most part, this movie was filmed entirely in Disney World. There are scenes that were not, and these stick out like sore thumbs. During these scenes, they greenscreen their actors to make it appear as though they are on Disney property. However, the effects look awful and really break the immersion factor of the movie as you can blatantly tell that it was done in front of a green screen. Escape from Tomorrow also has too much going on at once. In the full 90 minute movie, so much happens that any of these odd events could have been turned into their own movie. Interesting plot points are started, and then just left out and never mentioned again. This makes for some disappointing moments, as many of the plot points to me sounded very intriguing and left me asking "Where are they going to go with this?" Just to have the movie tell me that these plot points will never be mentioned again. Acting is pretty poor, but that comes with the territory of being a very low budget movie. Some scenes are shot very nicely, and all around, besides the green screen scenes, the cinematography is pretty nice to look at. The trailer to this movie shows it off as more of a horror, but I don't really know what type of genre to put this movie under, and I don't think the movie knows what to put it under either. At points it's a dark comedy, at points it's a drama, and at some points it has elements of a psychedelic trip. Despite its bad elements, I still was very intrigued with this movie. I would recommend to watch it just because you probably will not see another movie like this, but be prepared that what you will see is not very well done. Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2014
    this could've been a much, much better film. disneyworld as alternaworld, filmed on location, great premise. but, the acting was so bad, the plot nosedived into ridiculousness, and the whole enterprise became cheesy camp.
  5. Oct 19, 2013
    I wanted to love it, and there are definitely good ideas in the film, but it just doesn't go far enough. I did enjoy some of the humor and irony, but I don't think they pushed the boundaries hard enough to make the impact they hoped for. Kudos for stealing the whole movie at Disney World though!
  6. Oct 18, 2013
    While the story of how the film was made is interesting, the film itself is just utter garbage. But that's what happens when you are making a film that is just a glorified publicity stunt. It was obvious that writer/director Randy Moore was more interested with making a film that would create buzz and controversy on the film festival circuit rather than make a semi-coherent film. TheWhile the story of how the film was made is interesting, the film itself is just utter garbage. But that's what happens when you are making a film that is just a glorified publicity stunt. It was obvious that writer/director Randy Moore was more interested with making a film that would create buzz and controversy on the film festival circuit rather than make a semi-coherent film. The story is sloppy, the acting is just awful, the editing was done (I'm assuming) by a blind man and the overall presentation just looks like Moore didn't actually care about the film itself and was more worried about how he could get his name out there. This wasn't a film, it was a publicity stunt. Expand
  7. Oct 15, 2013
    This movie is difficult to rate, I've never seen anything quite like it before. From watching the trailers, I thought "Okay, I guess this is one of those horror movies made scarier by having a happy context", but after watching, I realized that it's not your standard horror film, even for what I just mentioned. I guess I'd still classify it as a horror (even though it's not technicallyThis movie is difficult to rate, I've never seen anything quite like it before. From watching the trailers, I thought "Okay, I guess this is one of those horror movies made scarier by having a happy context", but after watching, I realized that it's not your standard horror film, even for what I just mentioned. I guess I'd still classify it as a horror (even though it's not technically that scary), but a very different type of horror. I can at least say, it's quite a different movie, definitely unique, and overall, quite stressing but in a way that's intriguing. I honestly don't know how I'm going to rate this, it's one of those movies that you just have to watch for yourself, but I'll give it a 7 anyway. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    In a word: Bibbidi-bobbidi-blah.
  2. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Oct 25, 2013
    The film, shot in black-and-white at canted angles, suggests an R-rated Twilight Zone episode with a twist of Fellini-lite, in a trite film school kind of way. Mickey Mouse is unlikely to be shaking in his big yellow shoes.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Oct 24, 2013
    Once you get past the amazement this thing was made at all, the movie itself is an intermittently clever but mostly tedious, convoluted David Lynch knockoff that wanders all over the place.