Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 11, 1982
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 358 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
BrazilGarciaMar 30, 2002
Unlike all the listed critics, I never saw this as a child. Watching it for the first time as an adult makes for a pretty boring two hours. A 97 score? Come on.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
K.S.Mar 27, 2002
When I first watched ET as a young teen, I think I was the only person in the theater laughing instead of crying. Even at that age, I found it to be cliche and not really that meaningful. It doesn't beat Wizard of Oz for allegory and myth.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
YoonMinC.Sep 29, 2003
That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism of the Holy Roman Church? Some turd shaped frog from outerspace befriends a misunderstood kid named Elliot, and, oh my, the big bad government is out to get them. The brown frog dies, is resurrected, and returns to heaven. Was mankind saved? No, but it was milked worse than by any unscrupulous televangelist. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
E.T. is extremely thin--it pretends to be a much more heartwarming and spectacular than it actually is. I've found it difficult to emotionally connect and am unimpressed with Spielberg's attempt at creating fantastic science-fiction.
NShep53Apr 17, 2015
I can definitely see the appeal of E.T. and the nostalgia of it. But, as a child of the 90s, I never saw E.T. until I was older. It is not my favorite Spielberg film, but is definitely worth the watch.